FM10: Official Fulham Thread

Noack13

For the 4th Round Qualifying in the Europa League I have drawn P.Ferreira from Portugal. The first leg is away and we are heavy favourites. My scout said they would play a 4-4-2 and that the pitch is long so encouraged a more direct style of playing. However, they actually turned up with 4-2-3-1 and seem to looking to push everyone forward. I've so far been playing with a 4-4-2 diamond, but I doubt it's suited to this type of play because they will flood the midfield and push forward, so I'm tempted to play elgreenio's 4-5-1 posted above just to make sure we hold the advantage when playing the home leg.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

good stuff against the gooners mate. Don't think i'd personally be too worried by P.Ferreira, doubt they are a squad filled with quality, maybe just play a bit narrower and close down alot more, i'd doubt they've got players capable enough of playing in that type of situation, but obviously do what you think is best, i generally don't like changing too much for home games

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good stuff against the gooners mate. Don't think i'd personally be too worried by P.Ferreira, doubt they are a squad filled with quality, maybe just play a bit narrower and close down alot more, i'd doubt they've got players capable enough of playing in that type of situation, but obviously do what you think is best, i generally don't like changing too much for home games

The first leg is away at their place =)

I normally wouldn't change, but it's the first time I've come up against this formation and since the diamond leaves a hole in the midfield and they are overloading it with 5 in there, I feel we could struggle to get and retain any sort of possession. Changing to a 4-5-1 would match them in midfield, but give me the wide outlet to focus my passing, crossing it in to the big guy Zamora to nod in the goals.

Will update again after the leg has been played to note the changes, if any, I made.

The Arsenal win felt a little empty because Wenger played a few of the youngsters that only usually get a run out in the cups, but at the end of the day a win is a win =)

started up my fulham save a last week and i have to say the first season was a mixed bag.

Tranfers Season 1

transfers1.png

I took a bit of a risk in terms of selling players to make money to buy players who i thought would really make the difference for me and luckily it payed of. overall Milevskyi scored 43 goals in 51 appearances which was a damn sight better then what zamora or johnson wouldve done for me :D

I started well in the league beating sunderland, blackburn and Portsmouth and only losing to chelsea and arsenal. however i couldn't sustain wins through out the season and a truly dismal christmas period saw me finish in 12th. This however was under-shadowed by the fact that i was in both the FA cup and the Europa league Cup Finals :D europe was weird for me because from the 2nd knockout stage onwards i won every game on away goals and i ended up playing villa in the final. i scarped a 2-1 which i was really happy with. The FA cup was very lucky too as i hard one of the easiest runs imaginable and still nearly got knocked out ... twice. it went Tranmere, notts forest, doncaster (took me to a replay), sheffield united (took me to a replay) wigan and then arsenal in the final the final was a great match we went one nil up had a man sent off then basically they threw everything at us and finally equalised in the 83rd minute. then in extra time they have a man sent off and Milevskyi scored in the 119th minute making it 2-1 and completing the double.

Im currently 16 games into my second season and have only lost one game and im top of the league = S but its more of a case of waiting to be overtaken then trying to win it lol.

Transfers Season 2

Screenshot2009-11-14at104050.png

how the hell did you get 9mil for dio!!? great job

honest to god i don't know. he complained throughout the whole season so i thought you know what you can leave and i offered him out for 9 so hopefully people would maybe come in at around 5-6 so i was shocked.

Transfers in:

Ansaldi from Ruben, £1.7mil playes left back and wing back (Ended up keeping Konchesky out of the side)

Boriello on loan from Milan, £925k upfront with £5.5mil option to buy

Asmir Begovic from Portsmouth, £1.1 mil, much better than Stockdale and Zuberbuhler

Nice! I also bought Begovic for Fulham on my game ;)

honest to god i don't know. he complained throughout the whole season so i thought you know what you can leave and i offered him out for 9 so hopefully people would maybe come in at around 5-6 so i was shocked.

Wow now thats a miracle! Lyon kept offering me £7m for him!

Although my Fulham team is doing nowhere near as good as you guys are! I'll put up my piccys at the end of the this season :)

As promised, I said I'd do an update after the summer transfer window had closed so here it is.

Transfers

Transfers09.png

The first team is actually pretty strong, so only got rid of fringe players or those on stupidly high wages ... I'm looking at you Gera and Nevland !

The fans where delighted (as was Fulham favourite Chris Coleman) at the signing of Kakha Kaladze, which I have an agreed fee of £1.5mil.

I also have Jadson from Shahktar arriving in January on a free, managed to stave of strong competition from AC Milan and Wolfsburg among others.

From all the transfers, I am particularly excited about these three

Lacina Traore

LacinaTraore.png

Malcolm Elias claims he can be better than Andy Johnson ... and just look at that height, that's a whole inch taller than Peter Crouch !

Youssef Rabeh

YoussefRabeh.png

Malcolm Elias claims he is as good as Hangeland, and has the potential to be better. Got a permit the first time of asking (no appeal!), and just won his first cap for Morocco.

Wilfried Niflore

WilfriedNiflore.png

This chap was available on the transfer list on the final day of the window for £2.5k. With those stats I figured it was worth a punt, and Zamora was injured. Chucked him straight into the squad against Sunderland which we won 3-1 due to two debut goals and a Man of the Match performance, what a buy !

continued below ...

So the Fulham squad is looking pretty healthy at the moment

Squad09.png

This is reflected by our results so far this season

Fixtures09.png

And our position in the league

TableSept09.png

As you can see, we qualified for the group stages of the Europa League, with our group made up of us, Zenit, AEK and Tromso.

Up next is a home game against Man City ...

Just sold Hangeland for £9mil at the age of 30, now on the look out for a replacement. In January 2012.

Check Youssef Rabeh, the defender I posted about above.

My scout claimed at the time of signing (summer 09) that he was as good as Hangeland, and had the potential to be better. I only paid £1.5mil for him.

Just sold Hangeland for £9mil at the age of 30, now on the look out for a replacement. In January 2012.

If you'd have sold him a bit earlier on you could got about 3mill more.

I've agreed a transfer for £12m for him to Liverpool at the end of the first season :)

Although, i've still yet to find a 12m replacement for him haha:rolleyes:

elgreenio, are you using a cheat tactic/exploit/editor? as there is no way you can achieve with Fulham in 1st and 2nd season. No way.

The game is not that difficult to be honest, I finished 4th with Fulham first season after spending most of the season 2nd. In the end lost the 2nd place on goal difference as 2nd, 3rd and 4rth all finished with same point total.

And this after bringing in just Ansaldi, Otamendi, Cristaldo and Becham (in January). Currently preparing for the second season after having been given 22 million to spend with 800 000 wage budget. Lots of quality players available for loan (van der Vaart, Nani, Henrique) and on free (Deco, Van Bommel). Also some nice looking regens in South America.

Btw I wouldn't sell Hangeland for any amount, my best player by far and would probably not find other defender on his level willing to join Fulham.

Does this means Fulham is overrated in this year's FM ? Because there is no way they can even touch top 4, let alone 2nd, 3rd place finishes.

Not sure about Fulham being overrated as i don't really follow them IRL, just play with them on FM every year.

But they were impressive on prem last year so i guess teams have been rated based on this.

Chelsea won the league by 20 points in my first season btw (talking about overrated :) and Arsenal didn't even qualify for Europa League.

Chelsea could well win this year's premier league by 20 points IRL. I thought Fulham would be a challenge again this year but after seeing people finding it easy, I don't think it's hard to take them to the top which is a shame really. They should have been 'rated' fairly based on their surprise last year's performance but instead they are 'overrated'. I'll try some other teams though. :)

how pray tell.. are they overrated in the game?

apart from hangeland the players are all the same as last year... and therefore mid table at best..

the game is easy when you know how it works.. and you can get to top 6 with almost any team in the prem..

its the way you manage that makes you successful , not the team

how pray tell.. are they overrated in the game?

apart from hangeland the players are all the same as last year... and therefore mid table at best..

the game is easy when you know how it works.. and you can get to top 6 with almost any team in the prem..

its the way you manage that makes you successful , not the team

If "the game is easy when you know how it works" is true, then tell me honestly - "Can you get into top 6 with Hull/Bolton/Stoke/Birmingham/Wolves in your first or second season ?" The answer would 100% be 'NO'.

Well after a long and very stressful season in the CCC, we ended up going into administration, the PFA paying my players wages and getting deducted 10points so we finished around 16th :(

New season is just about to start, bought in some good players.

£12.25m - Khouma Babacar from Fiorentina - A very young man at the age of only 18 in my game *I'm in 2012*.

Free - John Carew

Free - Liedson

I may also be getting Riera for free as well, if he accepts the contract I offered him, so with him as well it could be a good season for Fulham :)

The team as it looks now:

2012fulham.jpg

Still some players I need to replace which I hopefully will, but having a current transfer budget of £0, it shall prove difficult, but there is quite a bit of deadwood to get rid off at Fulham.

*EDIT: Thought on who I should sell?

Chelsea could well win this year's premier league by 20 points IRL. I thought Fulham would be a challenge again this year but after seeing people finding it easy, I don't think it's hard to take them to the top which is a shame really. They should have been 'rated' fairly based on their surprise last year's performance but instead they are 'overrated'. I'll try some other teams though. :)

Just because a couple of people have had good success with Fulham in their first season doesn't mean they are overated , it just means those who are playing those games are good managers.

The reputation of Fulham, and therefore it's ability to attract good players has remained pretty much the same as it has over the last few years, and the ratings of the players are also pretty much the same. Hangeland is by far the exception, but if you take a look at the likes of Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora, Clint Dempsey, you will see they are average at best. Throw in the fact you have practically no budget, and no spare wages and you'll see that managing Fulham is every part the challenge.

I take my hat off to those who have done well in their first season.

Just because a couple of people have had good success with Fulham in their first season doesn't mean they are overated , it just means those who are playing those games are good managers.

The reputation of Fulham, and therefore it's ability to attract good players has remained pretty much the same as it has over the last few years, and the ratings of the players are also pretty much the same. Hangeland is by far the exception, but if you take a look at the likes of Andy Johnson, Bobby Zamora, Clint Dempsey, you will see they are average at best. Throw in the fact you have practically no budget, and no spare wages and you'll see that managing Fulham is every part the challenge.

I take my hat off to those who have done well in their first season.

But if most peoples are finding it easy to get into the 'Top 3' of EPL in their 1st and 2nd seasons with very average squad, then it is safe to conclude that Fulham are massively overrated in this year's version.

But if most peoples are finding it easy to get into the 'Top 3' of EPL in their 1st and 2nd seasons with very average squad, then it is safe to conclude that Fulham are massively overrated in this year's version.

To be fair, then if you know how the game works you can make top 6 with any team in Prem first season.

To be fair, then if you know how the game works you can make top 6 with any team in Prem first season.

With cheats/editor/exploits yes surely. But not when you keep the things realistic.

or in case of previous versions 'if you know how the corner bug works, you can make top 6 with any team in Prem first season'

There is no way you can make the top 6 with Hull/Stoke/Bolton/Birmingham/Portsmouth/Blackburn in your first season 'if you don't cheat'. There is not a single manager here who has done it on this forum so far.

With cheats/editor/exploits yes surely. But not when you keep the things realistic.

or in case of previous versions 'if you know how the corner bug works, you can make top 6 with any team in Prem first season'

There is no way you can make the top 6 with Hull/Stoke/Bolton/Birmingham/Portsmouth/Blackburn in your first season 'if you don't cheat'. There is not a single manager here who has done it on this forum so far.

If you don't believe you can do it then don't, but please don't continue to post in this official thread with such nonsense.

Also, Fulham finished seventh last season IRL which is just one spot outside the top six, and that was Roy Hodgsons 1st full season !

If you don't believe you can do it then don't, but please don't continue to post in this official thread with such nonsense.

Also, Fulham finished seventh last season IRL which is just one spot outside the top six, and that was Roy Hodgsons 1st full season !

For god's sake Mic, learn to read the posts first. I'm talking about the game not the real life. I like Fulham alot under Roy Hodgson and really want them to do well again.

For god's sake Mic, learn to read the posts first. I'm talking about the game not the real life. I like Fulham alot under Roy Hodgson and really want them to do well again.

I did read the post

First you say that in order to be able to finish in the top six you must be cheating, my point is that if Roy can do it in real life then why can't it be done in game (and before you point it out, I know seventh isn't in the top six but it's close enough)

Secondly, the players, the coaches and the club aren't overrated. Just look at the stats and then compare them to others who you would expect to be around us in the league. Also, open up the editor and compare the club reputation to that of Newcastle, West Brom, Wolves etc ... you'll see we are not in the slightest overrated.

All your posts say to me is that you aren't having any success with the game, so that must mean those that are, are either cheating or the researchers have overrated the team.

As a life long Fulham fan I also take resentment that you see us as a club who should still be fighting relegation, hence us being a 'challenge'. We finished seventh last season, are having a good run in Europe and are currently lying in 10th in the EPL, with a chance to go above Liverpool should they lose to Everton at the weekend. I feel the game does a good job of representing the club.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have an online game going with Fulham, and after a first season we finished mid-table, largely due to me tinkering with the tactics too much. Now after the summer transfer window of season 2, this is my team:

GK: Schwarzer / J Lambo

DR: Burdisso / Pantsil

DL: Drenthe / Konchesky

DC: Hangeland / Burdisso

DC: Wheater / Kryvtsov

MC: Capoue / Dikcagoi

MC: Murphy / Greening

AMC: Jadson

AMR: Bozaglo / Dempsey

AML: Buonanotte / Di Maria

ST: Soldado / Smolarek

ST: / Dempsey

As you may notice, that is 12 players. As I sometimes play 451, and sometimes 442.

Went for Seleznyov to partner Soldado, but didn't get a wp. But have a good partner on the way, won't mention as people in my game may hijack the deal lol. But pretty confident about season 2.

I did read the post

First you say that in order to be able to finish in the top six you must be cheating, my point is that if Roy can do it in real life then why can't it be done in game (and before you point it out, I know seventh isn't in the top six but it's close enough)

Secondly, the players, the coaches and the club aren't overrated. Just look at the stats and then compare them to others who you would expect to be around us in the league. Also, open up the editor and compare the club reputation to that of Newcastle, West Brom, Wolves etc ... you'll see we are not in the slightest overrated.

All your posts say to me is that you aren't having any success with the game, so that must mean those that are, are either cheating or the researchers have overrated the team.

As a life long Fulham fan I also take resentment that you see us as a club who should still be fighting relegation, hence us being a 'challenge'. We finished seventh last season, are having a good run in Europe and are currently lying in 10th in the EPL, with a chance to go above Liverpool should they lose to Everton at the weekend. I feel the game does a good job of representing the club.

well said ... im not myself a fulham fan but i agree wholeheartedly with what you have said..

i just cannot understand how he thinks fulham are over-rated in the game... if anything some of the players are underated (See: schwarzer and zamora).

and the fact he said no-one can manage to get the likes of stoke , blackburn etc into the top 6 in the first season without cheating is simply ridiculous... ive done it myself with stoke and so have many others in the various team threads...

on their day irl the likes of schwarzer, hangeland , murphy and zamora can be unplayable and can win games single handedly tbh, and like i say.. if anything.. this isnt represented enough in game

on their day irl the likes of schwarzer, hangeland , murphy and zamora can be unplayable and can win games single handedly tbh, and like i say.. if anything.. this isnt represented enough in game

Even Ricardo Fuller can win the game for stoke on his day. Doesn't mean he should be over-rated in the game like other Fulham players.

and Zamora.........as a target man he's very good at holding the ball and bringing others into play. He was top class in the last game against Sunderland. They couldn't handle him. But his finishing is terrible in real life too.

and the fact he said no-one can manage to get the likes of stoke , blackburn etc into the top 6 in the first season without cheating is simply ridiculous... ive done it myself with stoke and so have many others in the various team threads...

There isn't any thread where we can see that. And no, my fact is not ridiculous. You can't manage to get the likes of Pompey, Stoke, Wolves, Birmigham etc...to finish in top 6 in the 'first' season without cheating. I stand by my comment again. There's no one on this forum who's done it and I don't believe you have done it too.

first page wolves thread.. someone finished 7th (not bad)

second page.. ruben finished 6th...brilliant

willis ,, 6th place.. second page again...

and thats only in the wolves squad... before making claims of cheating and impossibility, i suggest you read some threads because people dont take kindly to accusations of cheating as this is just as much a forum to challenge other players and have friendly rivalries going on as it is one to help others.

zamora's finishing is comparable to any number of players in the prem and should be higher then 10 (which most strikers below the championship even have)

and your right.. ricardo fuller can win games on his own... and your right , he shouldnt be over-rated... dont think anyone suggested otherwise? i merely said these fulham players , if anything at all, are underated not , as you suggested , over-rated.

and i certainly dont cheat thankyou very much... this is very much a thread for people who enjoy playing the game.. dont really see why your here insulting people and looking for an argument

I have a question for my fellow Fulham managers: What instructions do you use to get the best out of Andy Johnson?

I am playing a 4-2-2-2 (Brazilian style) formation in my first season with the cottagers and my only big acquisitions are Milevskyi (to play alongside Johnson) and Nesmachnyi (playiing LB after I sold Konchesky to Sunderland). Milevskyi has been an absolute beast so far and literally has something like 16 goals in 16 games but Johnson has been absolutely horrible. I think he's scored 2 goals all season.

I initially played him as a Poacher but have now tried changing his role to Advanced Forward to try and kick him out of his slump - it doesn't appear to make a difference though. Any hints?

milevskyi.png

johnsonk.png

@mdbussen

I have only found Andy Johnson to play well when he's playing off someone else.

I don't know how you've set up Milevskyi to play, but I have Zamora as either a target man or deep-lying forward depending on formation and Andy Johnson as a poacher and this seems to work well. If you set it up this way, I would note that Milevskyi will sacrifice some of his goals as he'll be dropping deeper and setting others up, such as Johnson, rather than getting the goals himself.

-Mic

1zybjn6.jpg

So my first season finished!

I think I did really well to be honest! :D

My signings were Mirko Ranieri - (cheap youth goalie)

Danny Mills (free backup defender)

Sergik Teymourian (signed for free just to please Andranik so I could extend his contract long enough to sell him - haha!)

Lauren (had to sign on a free after injuries)

Andy Van Der Meyde (another free signing)

Asmir Begovic (first team goalie after selling Schwarzer)

David Beckham (free signing in January)

Mark Viduka (free backup striker)

Ashkan Dejagah (£2.9mill controls the wings with Beckham)

And sold:

Dickson Etuhu (wigan - £3mill)

Fredrik Stoor (qpr - £2.6mill)

Schwarzer (porto - 600k)

buncha youth players let go for free...

Seol Ki-Hyeon (birmingham - 110k)

Stefan Payne (newcastle - 60k)

David Stockdale (carlisle - free)

Robert Milsom (oldham - 250k)

Eddie Johnson (schalke loan fee 575k)

Also, start of 2nd season I've sold hangeland for 12mill due to lack of funds :(

I'd just like to add that Fulham are by no means unfairly good in the game...you have a very mediocre squad with several solid players and 1 excellent player in Hangeland. Imo Fulham are a total rebuild job, but you have to do it piecemeal and very carefully balance your budgie, or you'll not make it. Although i made it to the semis of the euro cup with a terribly short roster filled with injured players and unregisiterable replacements.. (and it was an amazing accomplishment), the league was a different story.

In the league i languished in the 14-16 range for a long time, until a combination of the implementation of the right tactics and a strong run pulled me up into 10th. You are expected to finish 6th or better...thats a heavy req for the initial team. I'd say the last 20 games i played in season 1 the media announced a bad result would mean my head would roll, and for the first time in my history of playing CM/FM/WWSM i actually had to ask for extra time to rebuild the squad. The chairman threw a bit of cash my way, and we're top 3 midway through the second season, with no european games to tire the squad..

overrated? not likely.

I cant wait till the day im struggling with a team on FM and my home crowd suddenly starts chanting "you dont know what youre doing"..i love the pressure!

I have a question for my fellow Fulham managers: What instructions do you use to get the best out of Andy Johnson?

I am playing a 4-2-2-2 (Brazilian style) formation in my first season with the cottagers and my only big acquisitions are Milevskyi (to play alongside Johnson) and Nesmachnyi (playiing LB after I sold Konchesky to Sunderland). Milevskyi has been an absolute beast so far and literally has something like 16 goals in 16 games but Johnson has been absolutely horrible. I think he's scored 2 goals all season.

I initially played him as a Poacher but have now tried changing his role to Advanced Forward to try and kick him out of his slump - it doesn't appear to make a difference though. Any hints?

I had trouble with Johnson also, and sold him to Sevilla IIRC in the first xfer window. I had the best luck with him in the poacher role, when i had Zamora or Cardoza set as target men with the supply to the head. He wasnt really awful, but injury prone and not consistent enough.

The most rankling thing about taking control of Fulham is not being able to cancel the Greening purchase. Ugh

haha this made me laugh although I personally have Greening performing fairly well in a starting role as my "deep-lying playmaker" :) Personally the thing I hate most about fulham is the number of crap players they have soaking up wages in the reserve squad (Seoul-Ki Hyun, Eddie Johnson, etc.). Well, that and their crappy transfer budget!

I had trouble with Johnson also, and sold him to Sevilla IIRC in the first xfer window. I had the best luck with him in the poacher role, when i had Zamora or Cardoza set as target men with the supply to the head. He wasnt really awful, but injury prone and not consistent enough.

He's started to perform a bit better for me but I'd have to agree that he seems wildly inconsistent. He can disappear for several games at a time and then pop up and get a brace before going into hibernation again. He also seems to miss a large number of one-on-ones :(

Still, he's my best choice... for now...

Zamora is useless, although Nevland is a good impact player. Dikgacoi looks a decent player though im a bigger fan of Etuhu and i don't think they both fit in the same side. Definatly a left back and a decent striker is a must, but with the budget finding any is gonna be a struggle.

Seemed to do ok yesterday IRL :thup:

first page wolves thread.. someone finished 7th (not bad)

second page.. ruben finished 6th...brilliant

willis ,, 6th place.. second page again...

and thats only in the wolves squad... before making claims of cheating and impossibility, i suggest you read some threads because people dont take kindly to accusations of cheating as this is just as much a forum to challenge other players and have friendly rivalries going on as it is one to help others.

zamora's finishing is comparable to any number of players in the prem and should be higher then 10 (which most strikers below the championship even have)

and your right.. ricardo fuller can win games on his own... and your right , he shouldnt be over-rated... dont think anyone suggested otherwise? i merely said these fulham players , if anything at all, are underated not , as you suggested , over-rated.

and i certainly dont cheat thankyou very much... this is very much a thread for people who enjoy playing the game.. dont really see why your here insulting people and looking for an argument

Yeha you better believe it I finished 6th with Wolves in my first season hoping to finish higher with Fulham tough....

And ahll back welshace there, just because someone has finished in a better league position than you, and quite possibly your team, doesnt mean they have cheated

It`s all about tactics as im sure you are aware playing the game :thup:

It is possible to turn a relegation candidate into a title challenger if your tactics are spot on :)

Archived