From acorns do oak trees grow.

Graeme

So, after abandoning the 4-5-1, I decided to use a 4-1-3-2 to travel to Grays with. Grays are typified by a strong and pacey attack, but can be vulnerable at the back to hopefully we can exploit this. Gulliver replaced Band, Wells replaced Dutton, Lumsdon, Hammill and Murphy made up the middle 3 with Gilhaney and Klein-Davis up front.

We started well here, with Lumsdon firing wide from distance in the 3rd minute, before Hammill dribbled through only to blast over a minute later. After our early exploits though, the game evened up and Grays began to probe our back line. A 19th minute right wing break produced a cross that eluded everyone, but the return ball looped embarrassingly into the far corner for a 1-0 lead. A minute later and things went from bad to worse. Hammill was sent off for a second booking for a trip in an innocuous position so we were down to 10 men.

We were still in it though, and after a header from a corner went over in the 21st minute, Klein-Davis had a shot well saved and Murphy could only poke the rebound wide on 23 minutes. The open game continued with Grays having shots saved on 26 and 32 minutes as they sought a second goal. Murphy hit one wide from range in the 33rd minute before a header from a corner beat Smith in the 36th minute to make the score 2-0. It was still even though and with 10 men we could actually consider ourselves a bit unlucky to be 2-0 down. No more real chances came about before the interval though, so the score at half time was 2-0.

We needed to try to press, and keep going forward. Hammill's misdemenour had cost us, and we would feel the pace in the second half, but if we could get back in and hold on it could be a morale booster. The game was still very even after the break, and Gilhaney shot over when well placed on 52 minutes. Smith made a fine save in the 59th minute before I needed to make replacements. Chillingworth, Lowe and Moore replaced Gilhaney, Lumsdon and Murphy who were all very tired.

We still had impetus though going forward, and a Lowe freekick was well saved in the 67th minute. A shot flashed past Smiths left hand post before a defensive mix-up in the Grays back line on 72 minutes left Klein-Davis with the simplest of tap-ins for 2-1. On 74 minutes though Grays pace told. A long ball found their attackers too quick and a good header made it 3-1. When a freekick was hammered in from the right edge of the box in the 85th minute for 4-1 I felt really hard done to. Lowe had an effort saved in the 87th minute but the damage had already been done, we had lost 4-1.

It was disappointing to have been reduced to 10 men again, especially considering we were in the game for its entirity. To bounce back from this would be a priority, and the sooner the better as it's all getting very tight in the lower middle of the table.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After our humiliation at Rushden and our better perfomance but still heavy defeat against Grays, a midweek game at home to Morecambe was next. I still am not sure I have the best lineup for my back 4, so need to work on what this should be if we are to progress this season. I decided to use Giles at right back, Gulliver and Caines in the middle and keep Roberts at left-back. Elsewhere, I kept the same formation and brought Moore in for Hammill, and Chillingworth for Klein-Davis.

We gave Morecambe an early scare when Moore set Gilhaney through who fired home in the third minute. The effort was ruled out though with a very dubious offside flag that we could be made to rue. Morecambe followed that up with some pressure themselves, but had no chances until the 15th minute when a long range effort sailed high and wide. In the 22nd minute, Wells was dispossessed in the middle of the park, and a good throughball found the Morecambe player in space and he slotted at the near post to make it 1-0. Smith saved a shot on the break on 28 minutes, and also saved a header in the 36th minute as a tight and testy battle was fought. It stayed that way unitl the interval with Morecambe leading 1-0.

It was a very tight game, and while we were well in the game, we needed to be more expressive going forward. I therefore sent the guys out to attack. The second half was a very dour affair though. A Morecambe shot in the 52nd minute and a Lumsdon effort 6 minutes later followed by another morecambe effort were the only chances in a gritty second period. As injury time approached, I hoped for another late goal against Morecambe, but this wasn't to be and we went down 1-0.

I was dissapointed, but we had been relatively tight and were certainly not outclassed by a Morecambe side with aspirations of promotion. Our form though makes dismal reading. In the last 3 games, we have lost the lot, scored 2 and conceded 13 including the cup hammering at Rushden. Better performances must follow if we are going to succeed as we are gradully slipping down the table towards oblivion.

Our next game was a break from our recent failures against Bideford at home in the FA Trophy first round. Bideford are a lowly side, so I switched back to 4-4-2 and rotated my squad around again. Cockerill replaced Prosser with Giles moving to the middle and Roberts switching to right back, Hammill and HH were on the wings with Chillingwirth and Mansaram up-front.

Early on, we looked like a side out of form. We were very much in the ascendancy, but didn't create a chance until HH flashed a shot wide in the 20th minute. In the 26th minute, a long Roberts cross was flicked on by Moore for Chillingworth to finish. Unfortunately an offside flag ruled the goal out and we were still level. We kept toiling though, but still had little end product and HH had a shot saved in the 42nd minute before a frustrating half was brought to a close with the score at 0-0.

At some point, Bideford had to crack. They should tire before us, so I urged he lads to keep the effort up. Bideford then had their first chance 2 minutes after the restart, but Smith saved well. This livened us up and a good chance was spurned by Hammill who headed wide from the 6 yard box when he should have scored on 49 minutes. In the 53rd minute, HH picked the ball up deep in our half and played a long ball over the top. Mansaram ran onto it, dribbled the ball into the area and finished to ease our frustrations. A Cockerill cross on 64 minutes was turned onto the near post by Mansaram unluckily before I decided to make changes. Gilhaney, Dutton and Afful replacing Mansaram, HH and Moore.

We kept going forward after the substitutions, and on 72 minutes Giles picked up a loose ball and fed Dutton who took the ball on and crossed for Chillingworth to poke home and make it 2-0. Now cruising, Roberts crossed a ball that Wells controlled and gave to Hammill. His shot was saved onto the post, but Gilhaney reacted quickest and poked it in for 3-0. Dutton had a pop from range on 82 minutes that sailed wide before a defensive cockup between Giles and Roberts gave Bideford a chance for a consolation in the 87th minute, but they fired the shot over. Afful had a shot saved in the 89th minute, before he received a 91st minute pass from Wells that he crossed for Chillingworth to head goalwards. The Bideford keeper made a wonderful save but Gilhaney got to the rebound and slotted camly to end the game 4-0.

We had done well here, and clearly grew in confidence as the game progressed. If we can take this form forward, hopefully we can resurrect our faltering season. We are very close to Christmas now, and with a very busy festive fixture list, if we are on form we could do well.

We drew Scarborough in the FA Trophy second round, another very winnable game in a hopefully decent cup run. But, with this game having been played, I am proud to announce that Altrincham FC now have a positive bank balance. It's only marginally positive and could still go either way, but everyone at the club is very proud to have managed to wipe off £170,000 worth of debt in the 1 1/2 years I have been at the club.

So, with a bit of confidence gained from our cup victory, we hosted Nuneaton in a must win league game, the last before Christmas. Gulliver replaced Caines ,Gilhaney replaced Mansaram, Murphy replaced HH, Afful replaced Hammill and Lumsdon replaced Moore for this must win game.

We started brightly again, but again took a while to really look like scoring. Lumsdon had a shot from distance saved in the 9th minute, but then Chillingworth took a knock and will have to be monitored as he plays on. In the 13th minute, Cockerill hung over a cross from a freekick but Chillingworth was pushed when challenging for the ball and a penalty was awarded. Wells stepped up but shot straight down the middle and it was saved. 4 minutes later, and Murphy crossed for Gilhaney who controlled the ball but was pushed and another penalty was awarded. Afful stepped up this time and beat the keeper to his right to hand us a slender advantage. We were all over Nuneaton, and Gilhaney had a header well saved in the 19th minute. A minute later, and Lumsdon won the ball in the midfield, and fed Gilhaney who dribbled the ball into the box to lash it past the onrushing keeper to make it 2-0. We then seemed to sit back, and despite my efforts to will the lads forward, Nuneaton had a long range effort sail well wide on 25 minutes. A dogged midfield battle then ensued, the only highlight being a Wells shot on 44 minutes that went wide. Half time though, and we were comfortable at 2-0.

We seemed to take the foot off the accelerator when we got 2 goals up, and I was anxious that we shouldn't let this slip and drop points. I sent some out with fleas in their ears, urging them to reproduce their flowing football of the first 20 minutes that had seen us devastate Nuneaton.

This didn't happen though, and despite a lot of pressure the nuneaton defence held firm. On 61 minutes, they had a header narrowly go wide, before Gilhaney got in on the break from the goal kick and forced a wonderful save from the Nuneaton keeper. Klein-Davis, Hammill and Dutton replaced Chillingworth, Murphy and Lumsdon as I looked to keep the pressure on, but Nuneaton were now pressing us back as we seemed to ease down once again. They shot wide from the edge of the area on 72 minutes, and wide again from closer in 5 minutes after. Wells shot a freekick narrowly wide on 84 minutes, but Nuneaton were unable to mount any further goal threat, and we didn't seem to want to increase our lead further so the game ended with the score still at 2-0.

In patches, especially the first 20 minutes, we were excellent and would have given anyone a run for their money. This switching off though is a worrying trend that cannot continue.

This game marks the half-way point in the season, at 23 games gone. We have 30 points, which is 5 more than I would have hoped for so in real terms we have done well so far. With the way the league is looking though, we will likely need another 30 points to be certain of avoiding a painful relegation scrap as teams below us are looking like they could mount a challenge.

well done getting in the black Graeme. It would be the icing on the cake if you could actually spend 10 or 20 grand on a player come the end of the season. Then you could start challenging for the league, which would be a great achievement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by irishregan:

well done getting in the black Graeme. It would be the icing on the cake if you could actually spend 10 or 20 grand on a player come the end of the season. Then you could start challenging for the league, which would be a great achievement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers lad. It came as a bit of a surprise as the first few gates were lower than my conference north average and we were still losing money. Then you get the likes of Carlisle and Rushden along and suddenly your bank manager gets a stork on. Add to that a couple of rounds in the cups and you get to a decent figure. If Alty can run at a similar level next season their finances can be very healthy at that point.

So, Christmas has been and gone, and Boxing Day brings with it a trip to Dagenham and Redbridge. Some of the lads appear not to have recouperated as they might have since the last game, and I dare say some have indulged in a glass of champagne, so several changes were neccessary. Caines replaced Gulliver, Dutton replaced Wells, Klein-Davis replaced Chillingworth and HH came in for Afful.

Early on we looked like a side wanting a bank holiday friendly, and Smith was forced into a decent save in the second minute. Klein-Davis forced a save on the break in the 12th minute before Dagenham got back on top. Smith did well on 13 and 18 minutes making 2 good saves. A shot sailed over in the 19th minute before our midfield was robbed of posession in the 22nd minute and a throughball found an onrushing striker to score the opener. We were well off the pace, and in the 27th minute a long ball from the Dagenham right-back to their left wing found a man. His cross to the back post was met with a good header to double Dagenhams advantage. Still not awake, Caines brought down his man in the area and the ref blew for a 35th minute penalty. Fortunately it was a weak effort down the middle and Smith saved it comfortably. We were yet to wake up, and I was getting really angry and embarrassed by our performance. On 40 minutes though, HH managed to get down the wing, but his cross eluded everyone in the middle. Murphy retrieved the ball and crossed to the near post. His cross was met by a Dagenham defender who turned it past his own keeper under pressure from Klein-Davis. Now only 2-1 in arrears, we managed to hold out to half time with a slender deficit.

I tore into the lads at half time. The good work we had done in the last 2 games to win was being eroded. Dagenham had scored 3 goals, had a penalty and were amazingly only 2-1 up. We were still in it but wouldn't be if we didn't buck our ideas up quickly.

Some of our lethargy was shaken off during the break though, but the first chance fell to Dagenham forcing a save from Smith in teh 55th minute. Gilhaney headed a decent chance over a minute later, before Dagenham shot wide in the 58th minute and forced yet another Smith save in the 66th minute. I decided enough was enough, and replaced HH, Lumsdon and Roberts with Hammill, Wells and Band.

There was then another flurry of Dagenham chances, with a shot that went halrmlessly wide in the 69th minute and a throughball well met and finished in the 72nd minute only to be ruled out for offside. Another Dagenham shot went over in the 75th minute before our chance to get a point came. Murphy produced a 1-2 with Dutton and crossed to the back post where Hammill was waiting. He met the ball well but a truly world class save from the keeper kept the ball out of the net. At this, Dagenham decided to stop pressing for a third goal and shut up shop. We didn't seem to have the wherewithall to break them down, and the game descended into a dull trudge. Blessed relief from a dull closing period happened when the referee blew for full time with Dagenham having won 2-1.

While I was angry at our performance, at least we had not crumbled completely as had happened in some earlier games, so I was grateful for that. I did send the lads home though under no illusion that more performances like that would result in them being out of jobs.

Christmas is always a very busy period for fixtures, and this season is no different. Kettering visit Moss Lane for the next one, and I hope we are more lively than against D&R. I replaced Caines with Gulliver, Lumsdon with Moore, HH with Afful and Gilhaney with Chillingworth in an attempt to change the pattern of the game.

The game was even early, and neither side were prepared to give an inch. In the 16th minute though, a Cockerill throw found Murphy who crossed to the middle. A weak punch from the Kettering keeper only found Afful 8 yards out and he punished the mistake to put us 1-0 up. Chillingworth managed to wriggle through in the 18th minute but fired over, and Kettering tried their luck from 30 yards a minute later but the ball flew well over the bar. Hesitancy and confusion in our defence in the 21st minute presented Ketterings Elding with a clear run on goal. He took the ball wider than I thought he should, but managed to fire the ball inside the far post to level the match at 1-1. Klein-Davis then had 2 excellent chances to restore our advantage in the 24th and 27th minutes when he got through on both occasions. Twice though the Kettering keeper made great saves to keep the scores level. A kettering counter attack produced a sucker punch in the 34th minute though as a 25 yard shot was curled expertly into our net for an unlikely Kettering lead. They had done this to us last season, and I was deturmined it wouldn't happen again. Chillingworth headed a decent chance over in the 37th minute and the action was rounded out by a 45th minute Kettering attempt from distance that went wide. With us 2-1 down but looking the better side, the half time interval came.

I ranted at half time about being more clinical in front of goal, and being more solid at the back. We were creating great chances but not scoring goals, and had conceded 2 goals needlessly.

The lads though decided to put in an abject second half display. In the 54th minute, a corner was played short and without a challenge it was crossed to the near post for Kettering to head their 3rd goal. Smith saved a freekick well in the 56th minute, and another header from a corner this time went wide in the 64th minute. Enough was enough, and Mansaram, Hammill and Wells replaced Klein-Davis, Murphy and Moore. In the 69th minute though the self-destruct button was pushed. Smith played a goal kick short to Roberts who was robbed of the ball. The strikers clear run on goal gave him a relatively easy finish to give Kettering a 4-1 lead. We then had a better period and put Kettering under some pressure. We couldn't create any real chances though and the game had largely now petered out to a 4-1 loss. My misery was capped in the 94th minute though when Giles went down injured. A humiliating loss and a player injured was a bitter pill to swallow.

I was angry, and again tore the lads off a strip after the game. Giles would be missing for 2 weeks, but I still am scrabbling around for my best defence so he might have been raplced anyway.

25 games gone now, and the table is as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Rushden | | 25 | 18 | 4 | 3 | 49 | 19 | +30 | 58 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Carlisle | | 25 | 16 | 5 | 4 | 35 | 15 | +20 | 53 |

| 3rd | | Exeter | | 25 | 15 | 6 | 4 | 43 | 16 | +27 | 51 |

| 4th | | Torquay | | 25 | 15 | 4 | 6 | 39 | 28 | +11 | 49 |

| 5th | | Crawley | | 25 | 12 | 9 | 4 | 37 | 21 | +16 | 45 |

| 6th | | Dag & Red | | 25 | 13 | 4 | 8 | 34 | 22 | +12 | 43 |

| 7th | | Gravesend | | 25 | 13 | 4 | 8 | 36 | 28 | +8 | 43 |

| 8th | | Stevenage | | 25 | 11 | 7 | 7 | 34 | 23 | +11 | 40 |

| 9th | | York | | 25 | 11 | 7 | 7 | 27 | 23 | +4 | 40 |

| 10th | | Kidderminster | | 25 | 12 | 3 | 10 | 27 | 35 | -8 | 39 |

| 11th | | Accrington | | 25 | 11 | 4 | 10 | 41 | 32 | +9 | 37 |

| 12th | | Morecambe | | 25 | 10 | 7 | 8 | 32 | 23 | +9 | 37 |

| 13th | | Grays | | 25 | 10 | 5 | 10 | 39 | 35 | +4 | 35 |

| 14th | | Kettering | | 25 | 10 | 5 | 10 | 30 | 26 | +4 | 35 |

| 15th | | Weymouth | | 25 | 10 | 4 | 11 | 36 | 36 | 0 | 34 |

| 16th | | Cambridge | | 25 | 8 | 9 | 8 | 36 | 35 | +1 | 33 |

| 17th | | Forest Green | | 25 | 8 | 8 | 9 | 38 | 39 | -1 | 32 |

| 18th | | Altrincham | | 25 | 9 | 3 | 13 | 32 | 41 | -9 | 30 |

| 19th | | Scarborough | | 25 | 7 | 7 | 11 | 26 | 36 | -10 | 28 |

| 20th | | Woking | | 25 | 7 | 5 | 13 | 24 | 35 | -11 | 26 |

| 21st | | Southport | | 25 | 6 | 5 | 14 | 27 | 41 | -14 | 23 |

| 22nd | | Histon | | 25 | 4 | 3 | 18 | 16 | 51 | -35 | 15 |

| 23rd | | Nuneaton | | 25 | 3 | 3 | 19 | 19 | 52 | -33 | 12 |

| 24th | | Yeading | | 25 | 0 | 1 | 24 | 6 | 51 | -45 | 1 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

We have slid down the table a bit of late, but are still well in the hunt to avoid the drop. Teams around us though are starting to hit better form, and we must find some soon. I am also beginning to believe that we will need more than 50 points to beat the drop. My new target is 60 points. This is tough, but we must strive to better ourselves and get more than enough points to secure our Conference status next season.

Game 26, and a new years day home game against Weymouth. The schedule of games was punishing, and we were all knackered. I therefore made many changes to the team. Brown replaced Roberts, Caines replaced Giles, Band replaced Gulliver, Lumsdon replaced Moore, HH raplaced Murphy and Gilhaney and Mansaram were up front. We desperately need to get the new year off to a good start, and give us something real to build on in the lead up to the run-in, and Weymouth should be a relatively winnable game.

Weymouht put us under pressure early though, but Gilhaney headed the first chance of the game over from a freekick in the 5th minute. HH then went down injured in the 8th minute, with Hammill replacing him. The game then started to get very tight and niggly, with more fouls being committed by both sides than you would expect. In the 29th minute though, a long ball and break from Weymouth set their striker through on goal. He made no mistake and put Weymouth in the lead. Weymouth then turned it on a bit, and Smith had to be at his best to repel a 35th minute effort. 2 minutes later, and he could do nothing about a short range header from a left wing cross and the score went to 2-0. Weymouth then shot over in the 40th minute, and forced another save from Smith in the 41st minute, before settling for their lot and allowing time to run down with the score at half time 2-0.

What could I say, Weymouth's professionals were much better able to cope with the fatigue of the Christmas programme than my beleaguered troops. IO therefore went easy on them, sending them out to give it their best in the second half. The fatigue was telling on both sides though, and in the 54th minute, Gilhaney took a knock, and Mansaram went down injured and I replaced Mansaram with Klein-Davis. 2 minutes later and we were caught napping. Another long ball found the nippy Weymouth striker through on goal and again he made no mistake making the score 3-0. Gilhaney went close on the hour mark but his shot was well saved. The game then turned scrappy again, and the referee was kept busy and must have almost run out of pencil in his notebook writing down the names of cautioned players from both sides. I replaced Afful with Wells, but little difference was seen except Klein-Davis shooting wide in the 86th minute when he should have done better. The game then petered out to a rather dull but still damaging 3-0 loss.

The guys were shattered, and it showed. I don't honestly believe we are any worse than Weymouth, but their full-time status had got them through much better. If Alty can get financially secure and go full-time, I'm sure we can progress. This is still a way off though.

After the game, my physio revealed that Gilhaney and Mansaram would be out for a week with their knocks, but HH would miss 3 months or so with a broken ankle. 2nd keeper Coburn went to the local press asking for first team football, but he will be dumped at the end of the season on a free transfer. Due to our position and starting to lose players, I started to bid on lads, both loan signings and transfers.

After our recent failures, the next few games have taken on an added significance starting with Yeading away. The several neccessary changes were Gulliver for Caines, Fish for Lumsdon, Murphy for HH with Chillingworth and Klein-Davis up-front. Definitely a must win this one.

We started this game with a hunger and passion that I havn't seen for a while, and in the 3rd minute Afful got through and was chopped down for a penalty. No red card, but Cockerill stepped up and lashed it into the roof of the net for an early lead. Dutton hit a freekick narrowly wide in the 6th minute, before headers from Fish and Chillingworth also went wide in the 8th and 10th minutes respectively. Then followed a quieter period where Yeading started to cope with us a little better, and our powerful running stopped opening them up. This came to an end in the 28th minute though when a Dutton freekick was met by a superb diving header from Chillingworth who made it 2-0. Smith in goal then seemed to pull up when taking a goal kick, but the physio said I should allow him to continue so I did.

We didn't let up overall there though, and after a 30th minute Yeading freekick went harmlessly wide, Fish curled in a 32nd minute corner for Gulliver to head in at the far post for 3-0. We then struggled again to break Yeading down as they coped with us better again until the break. It was last ditch frantic defending, but it was at last seeming to be slightly more effective. Half-time saw the score then at 3-0.

We'd played well, and were devastating in patches. We needed to press on though and keep Yeading under pressure as letting them back in now could be fatal.

In the second half, we weren't nearly as good though. Murphy got in a shooting position in the 50th minute, but his effort was tame and easily stopped. Another Yeading freekick went wide, and this seemed to be their best avenue of attack. Cockerill then took a slight knock, but was able to carry on before a surging run and shot from Brown went narrowly wide.

Changes were needed, and I brought Lowe, Hammill and Wells on for Klein-Davis, Afful and Fish. It took us a while to get going again after the changes though, and it had reached 79 minutes when Chillingworth had a shot well saved. We were coasting, and Yeading were hardly posing a single forward threat as injury time approached. Deep into stoppage time, a great move saw the ball eventually reach Hammill on the right wing. His looping cross was misdirected, but it went out of the keepers reach into the top left corner for a fourth goal. Soon after the final whistle went, and we had won 4-0.

A great result considering we were low on morale and confidence. The knocks our players had taken were fortunately not serious, and none would even miss any training, so a good weekend all round.

In the week following the game, good news came back from our transfer bids. We had secured the services of Craig Kelly from Coventry on a free transfer, and he is a left sided player, predominantly a defender. Ex-loanee Ryan Laight also agreed a contract on a free transfer. His defensive skills were invaluable to us in the run-in last season, and hopefully he can prove to be the player we need at the back for seasons to come. Winger Adam Smith came in on loan from Chesterfield for the season, and midfielder Ryan Gilligan came in on loan from Northampton for the season.

Of all these players, Laight and Smith are the exciting ones, and hopefully can ignite our season from here on in.

After the slight refreshment of my squad, Prosser went down with flu, but wasn't going to be considered anyway for the home game against Scarborough in the FA Trophy round 2. Laight would play though in place of Band, Lumsdon would replace Fish, a recovered Gilhaney would join new loan boy Smith on the bench.

The game was very even in teh opening exchanges, before Afful tried his luck from distance in the 13th minute but found the Scarborough keeper. A Scarborough freekick in the 23rd minute sailed over in what was a very turgid opening period. In the 27th minute though, a Scarborough throw in was only half cleared, and the resulting cross was headed in at the near post to give them the advantage. Smith saved a decent effort on 30 minutes, and another chance was headed over Smiths goal in the 36th minute before we found some rhythm. That was provided by Afful who received a crossfield pass from Cockerill and dribbled round the back of his marker in the 37th minute. His cross to Lumsdon was pin-point and was headed home to square the game back up at 1-1. In injury time, Dutton broke into the box only to fire over, and we were looking stronger at the end of the half as the whistle went for the interval.

If we could build on the momentum gained since our rocky patch where Scarborough scored, we should go on and win this game. I therefore sent the lads out to attack and avoid the dreaded replay in Yorkshire.

The reaction was almost immediate, as in the 49th minute a Dutton shot from range was spilled and Chillingworth was on hand to poke in the rebound for 2-1. Scarborough then almost hit back immediately in the 51st minute, but they shot wide from inside the box. The game then became slightly tense before Dutton struck one high into the stands after 59 minutes.

I then decided to introduce Gilhaney, Smith and Wells for Klein-Davis, Murphy and Lumsdon to freshen things up. This happenened to my relief and now we were all over Scarborough. After a 73rd minute scramble in the middle of the park, Smith took the ball on and dribbled through the Scarborough back line. His shot was saved and Chillingworth poked the rebound wide, but this was a statement of intent for the rest of the game. And what an end it was. An Afful volley was well saved in the 77th minute, and Gilhaney got himself clean through on 83 minutes only to be foiled by the keeper. Chillingworth had a shot well saved in the 85th minute, then Wells struck a 20 yarder just wide in the 87th minute. It really was breathless, and we had cut them open time and time again. Scarborough didn't look like scoring again if we'd played all night, and they didn't so the game ended with us triumphant at 2-1.

In patches again, we had been devastating. Smith and Laight were excellent and I was pleased that 2 signings could make an immediate impact like that. We hadn't scored more goals though, but I would overlook that if bucket loads would come in the coming months on our way to safety and hopefully mid-table.

We learnt in the week following this tie that our 3rd round opponents would be Morecambe away. It was a very tricky tie, but one we could go into with more confidence hopefully. One piece of bad news for me though was that Cheltenham, struggling at the bottom of league 2, had filed a bid for Afful. If the lad wan't to go back to the league and return to full-time football I can't blame him, but I decided to negotiate the offer upwards and see what the response would be.

After 2 good results, we now faced the return game against Kidderminster. We had lost 4-3 at their gaff earlier in the season, but had largely given them their goals. I hope that now we can put this behind us and get a real result against a big side. After his excellent debut as sub, Smith replaced Murphy, Gilhaney replaced Chillingworth and due to his possible move away, Lowe replaced Afful.

The game started in the same vane as the first had been played throughout, breathless, with Kiddie hit the side netting in the second minute. From the goal kick, we stroked the ball wonderfully with Smith ending up with it on the left wing. His cross was headed deftly home by Gilhaney to give us an early advantage. Kiddie then came back at us, and forced a save in the 5th minute, before hitting a long distance strike that was woefully high and wide in the 13th minute. In the 17th minute, A Cockerill cross was met by a weak punch from the Kiddie keeper that found the right boot on the volley of Dutton on the edge of the area. His shot flew in to the top corner and we had a 2-0 lead. Klein-Davis was slipped through in the 23rd minute but shot weakly at the keeper, before Kiddie started t drag players back to sure up their ailing back line. In the 34th minute, a long ball was sent up to Klein-Davis, but he was virtually assaulted in mid-air by a Kiddie defender. The resulting red card was justice for the player who was obviously frustrated. Kiddie were now being very cautious, and we only managed to muster a Dutton effort from range in the 39th minute for the remainder of the half, but that was high and wide. Still, when the whistle went to signal the end of the first half, we had a 2-0 lead.

I was pleased that not only were we leading, but we were looking like the better side. I sent them out to kill the game off as early as possible, as Kiddie should struggle if we do that to get back into this game.

The second half was a bit incipid compared to the first, but Klein-Davis managed an effort that required saving in the 50th minute. Kiddie had a freekick saved in the 56th minute, and chances started to become fewer. With 20 minutes remaining, another good move ended with Brown having the ball at his feet on the right wing. His deep cross found Smith who rose like a salmon at the far post and headed past a beleagured Kiddie keeper for 3-0.

It was time to rest some players, so Chillingworth,Gilligan and Wells came on for Gilhaney, Smith and Lowe. Very little action then ensued as we had managed to kill the game at 3-0. Another Kiddie freekick that went over in the 80th minute and a Brown shot that was high and wide 4 minutes later wrapped up the action on a most enjoyable 3-0 win.

I was delighted to have turned round a 4-3 loss earlier in the season to be a 3-0 win. Kiddie are a big club in this league, and we showed that we are where we are on merit by beating them so convincingly here. Smith has been a real revelation since joining, and provides so much going forward. With Cheltenham's offer for Afful having been successfully negotiated upwards to £18k plus a friendly, I accepted it and left it to Les to decide if he wanted to go. Hopefully, if Afful does go, I can either get Smith in permanently, or at least try to get someone of similar quality to replace our man Les.

Having played well and won the last 3 games in all competitions, an away game against Forest Green Rovers who are around about us in the table provides an opportunity to extend our run, and move higher up the table. I was very keen to win this, and made only a few changes. Loanee Gilligan got his first start in place of Lowe, Fish played instean of Lumsdon and Chillingworth started ahead of Klein-Davis.

Even early exchanges were fairly banal, and didn't really give an indication as to which side would prove successful on the day. The first chances fell FGR's way in the 12th and 17th minutes, but both went tamely wide. The game was strangely subdued, as I had expected fireworks from both sides. We then had a decent spell, with Gilligan getting a shot in that was saved in the 21st minute, and Chillingworth going close in the 32nd and 36th minutes. The game was still very dull though, so it was a surprise when a right-wing FGR move in the 43rd minute resulted in a cross that was well headed home for a 1-0 advantage. When the whistle went for half time, I couldn't quite believe that we were 1-0 down, despite FGR having slightly edged the play in the half.

I was livid in the changing room at half time, throwing tea cups around and telling the lads that they had to put up more fight. The game was dull, and this was so contrary to recent performances that I wondered where we had pulled the last few results from.

What happened next was pure horror, and probably my darkest 45 minutes in football. In the 47th minute, Brown played a shocking back pass that left Smith stranded and gave the FGR forward the easy task of scoring into an open goal for 2-0. FGR then shot wide in the 50th minute before a poor right wing low cross was completely missed by Gulliver and gave his marker an easy opportunity that he didn't miss and we were 3-0 down in the 51st minute. Gilligasn got in on the back post for a header in the 55th minute, but it glanced off his head wide, and that was about as good as it got. From the resulting goal kick, a poor Laight header in behind Gulliver gave the FGR striker a clear run on goal to make it 4-0. When in the 67th minute a long throughball was converted easily from a narrow angle for 5-0, I had had enough.

Klein-Davis, Hammill ad Roberts replaced Gilhaney, Smith and Laight as I tried to salvage some pride at least from a woeful performance. FGR had now got their hammering though, and had started to sit back. A Roberts header from a 81st minute corner, a Smith save in the 84th minute and a Gulliver header in the 92nd minute was all the remaining action, and we ended the game humiliated 5-0 by FGR.

I was livid, and tore the players new orifices at full-time. How, after some great performances could we put together such an abject display of incompetence? I then stormed out of the ground ponering what was best for me and the club.

A while later and after I had calmed down, I started to plot things to do and who I should keep at the club next year. Les Afful would not be one of them though, as he had accepted Cheltenham's offer and was on his way back to league football. He goes with my best wishes as he has put in some very consistent displays this season for me and I am pleased for him. £18k plus a friendly is also a good deal for the club, as he had only 6 months left on his contract after all.

After our Forest Green humiliation, the midweek visit of York gave us an early opportunity to put it back right. We are now Afful-less too following his departure to Cheltenham, so I am making equiries about other wingers and looking to sign Adam Smith permanently. From the team that lost to Forest Green, I replaced Fish with Lumsdon, Chillingworth with Klein-Davis, Brown with Roberts, Dutton with Wells, Gilligan with Murphy, Smith with Woodward and Cockerill with Kelly. This gives some of the fringe lads a run out, and Kelly a debut. They can hardly be any worse than what I saw against Forest Green.

Well, it wasn't as bad as the last game, but it wasn't flowing football either. York shot over in the 9th minute of some nervy early exchanges. We had clearly suffered a big confidence hit at FGR, and when a Lumsdon freekick came back off the bar in the 15th minute, I thought it wasn't going to be our day again. A 24th minute break by York then produced the opening goal. Good control and a shot that slid under Smith gave York the lead. Smith did make a decent save in the 31st minute, but everyone clapped the save the York keeper made from a Wells effort from distance in the 36th minute. The remainder of the half was tight, until a right wing corner was headed in at Smiths near post for 2-0 3 minutes into injury time. So, 2-0 down at half time having not played too badly, another disappointment.

I again criticised the lads, hoping for a reaction from them in the second half. We couldn't afford to let our good work slip now, and let our season sink into a relegation fight.

After some even early exchanges in the second half, the response from the lads came, and it was good. Klein-Davis got in for a shot in the 54th minute, but it was again well saved. Murphy had a shot parried in the 55th minute, and the impressive York keeper kept out the rebound from Klein-Davis too. Gilhaney tried his luck from range 2 minutes later, but shot wide. Murphy repeated the trick after another 2 minutes had passed, and York were lucky to still be leading in all truthfullness.

Our breakthrough came in the 67th minute. Good passing in the midfield area released Kelly on the left. His cross found Gilhaney whose header finally beat the York keeper to get us back in the game at 2-1. I replaced Klein-Davis and Woodward with Chillingworth and Smith as I sought a result from the game. York though had other ideas, and were trying to shut up shop. Despite it taking a while, we were not to be denied though as Roberts took a return pass from a throw in and crossed to Chillingworth. His control was poor but the ball fell to Gilhaney who lasged the ball home from close range in the 84th minute. 2-2 now, and we kept coming forward. Roberts worked himself a shooting position in the 87th minute, but fired wide, before I brought on Dutton to replace Murphy who had taken a knock. The last action saw Smith keep our point saving a weak effort, and we had worked a point from a poor position, drawing the game 2-2.

What a second half display here, and such a contrast to the second half at Forest Green. Murphy's knock turned out to be a badly twisted ankle, and he would miss about a month of football. Without Afful, he would be missed. Much more positive now, but we need to push on again.

With 30 games now having been played, the table was as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Rushden | | 30 | 20 | 7 | 3 | 57 | 23 | +34 | 67 |

| 2nd | | Carlisle | | 30 | 19 | 6 | 5 | 44 | 20 | +24 | 63 |

| 3rd | | Exeter | | 30 | 18 | 8 | 4 | 53 | 21 | +32 | 62 |

| 4th | | Torquay | | 30 | 18 | 5 | 7 | 44 | 29 | +15 | 59 |

| 5th | | York | | 30 | 14 | 9 | 7 | 37 | 27 | +10 | 51 |

| 6th | | Stevenage | | 30 | 14 | 8 | 8 | 46 | 28 | +18 | 50 |

| 7th | | Crawley | | 30 | 13 | 11 | 6 | 42 | 30 | +12 | 50 |

| 8th | | Morecambe | | 30 | 14 | 7 | 9 | 40 | 28 | +12 | 49 |

| 9th | | Gravesend | | 30 | 14 | 6 | 10 | 40 | 35 | +5 | 48 |

| 10th | | Accrington | | 30 | 14 | 4 | 12 | 50 | 36 | +14 | 46 |

| 11th | | Dag & Red | | 29 | 14 | 4 | 11 | 39 | 31 | +8 | 46 |

| 12th | | Kidderminster | | 30 | 14 | 4 | 12 | 34 | 41 | -7 | 46 |

| 13th | | Cambridge | | 29 | 10 | 11 | 8 | 42 | 39 | +3 | 41 |

| 14th | | Kettering | | 30 | 12 | 5 | 13 | 38 | 36 | +2 | 41 |

| 15th | | Weymouth | | 30 | 11 | 7 | 12 | 40 | 39 | +1 | 40 |

| 16th | | Forest Green | | 29 | 10 | 9 | 10 | 50 | 44 | +6 | 39 |

| 17th | | Grays | | 30 | 10 | 8 | 12 | 46 | 46 | 0 | 38 |

| 18th | | Altrincham | | 30 | 11 | 4 | 15 | 41 | 51 | -10 | 37 |

| 19th | | Woking | | 30 | 10 | 6 | 14 | 35 | 48 | -13 | 36 |

| 20th | | Scarborough | | 30 | 8 | 7 | 15 | 31 | 43 | -12 | 31 |

| 21st | | Southport | | 30 | 8 | 5 | 17 | 34 | 48 | -14 | 29 |

| 22nd | | Histon | | 30 | 4 | 3 | 23 | 19 | 64 | -45 | 15 |

| 23rd | | Nuneaton | | 30 | 3 | 4 | 23 | 20 | 64 | -44 | 13 |

| 24th | | Yeading | | 29 | 0 | 2 | 27 | 7 | 58 | -51 | 2 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

The bottom 3 were as good as down, and if we could get say 10 points from our next 5 games (a repeat of our points total from our first 5 games) then we would be as good as safe and fighting to a mid-table position. Some bad results and a turn of form from Scarborough and Southport though and we would be in trouble.

An away game against Cambridge was next up, and after the spirited second half against York, I felt relatively confident we could get a result here. I brought Lowe back into the side in place of Woodward and replaced Murphy with Smith, hoping a bit of continuity would help matters.

From the kick off we attacked with a wonderful passing move down the middle of the park, and only a wonderful save from the Cambridge keeper kept us out after Wells had shot. Cambridge then had a pop from range in the 2nd minute but it sailed over. A 7th minute attacking Cambridge freekick was played short, and the recipient dribbled into the box only to be felled needlessly for a penalty. The Cambridge taker stepped up and confidently stroked the ball into the bottom left corner and we were 1-0 down. In a concerted effort to get back on level terms, we then pegged Cambridge back for a long peiod. Lumsdon headed wide on 9 minutes, and had a shot blocked on 17 minutes. Wells also had one blocked on 20 minutes before Gilhaney wriggled through only to be thwarted by the keeper at the last on 24 minutes. Gilhaney then flashed a header over on 30 minutes and we looked the only side likely to score. This wasn't to be the case though, as a midfield tussle presented Cambridge with a chance to break. This they did and a great short square cross was converted on 34 minutes and somehow we were 2-0 down. Klein-Davis continued our unlucky streak when he had an effrt saved 2 minutes later, and Gilhaney was again foiled at the last on 40 minutes. The half time whistle then blew with us having been very unlucky, and being behind 2-0.

I just tried to get the lads back up again for the second half, as apart from not scoring and having lost 2 goals from 3 chances we were by far the better side here. The second half was a little different though, although Gilhaney had the first chance on 52 minutes but it was saved. Smith was then called into action in the 5th minute, and did well to block a Cambridge shot. They hit one wide from distance in the 59th minute before I freshened things up with 3 changes. Chillingworth, Gilligan and Dutton replaced Klein-Davis, Smith and Lumsdon.

The pattern of the game was now in Cambridges favour though, and they missed 2 good opportunities in the 77th and 78th minutes, firing wide then over. A shot from range missed Smiths goal by a distance on 82 minutes and we didn't look like getting back into the game. In the 87th minute though, we did. A move down the middle allowed Dutton to play teh ball into the right channel. Gilhaney latched onto it and took the ball on,, crossing from the byline. The cross was stabbed in at the far post by a defender for an own goal and we halved our deficit at 2-1. We were unable though to make any more inroads and that proved to be the final score.

Another decent performance, and more dropped points. It is true that you on't get anything for playing well ad not converting, but surely our luck must change soon and points must follow.

In the week following the game, I had the good news that Adam Smith had agreed to join us permanently on a free transfer from Chesterfield. His pace and trickery should be a real asset in the run-in and future seasons. We also managed to get in Mark Convery from York on a free. Convery is a right winger and will provide further depth in that department following Afful having left. Bad news though as St. Mirren seem intent on signing Mark Gilhaney. We got a £60,000 bid in, and I asked for £100,000. St. Mirren dallied though, and the transfer window thankfully closed before the deal could be completed. At least I now know that I have a fixed squad until the end of the season.

Another distraction from our league fight came up next in the form of the FA Trophy round 3 away to Morecambe. Another good performance would be required here, but we would also have to be more resolute at the back to triumph. For this game, Chillingworth replaced Klein-Davis, Cockerill replaced Kelly and Convery made the bench for the first time.

I was expecting an even game, much like the one we had had earlier in the season. This was the case, but Morecambe had a bit of early pressure but headed wide on 4 mnutes when well placed. Chances were few and far between, and it took until the 25th minute for us to create a chance with Lumsdon firing within the keepers reach from the edge of the box and he saved well. Great defending at both ends saw so few chances given up, the only other one fell to Lowe who headed wide on 45 minutes. The half time whistle saw an end to 45 mminutes of very tough, even and competitve football. Not one for the purists, but it was a decent game to be involved in.

I urged the lads to be resulute in the second half, and tried to encourage the forwards to be more clinical in front of goal. The second half started as evenly as the first had been though, and chances were still at a premium. On 56 minutes, a ball was played up to the Morecambe striker, whose neat turn and shot broke the deadlock though and we were now chasing the game at 1-0 down. It was still too even though, but Morecambe had another chance on 61 minutes but fortunately fired wide. Gilhaney repeated this feat by firing wide on 69 minutes before changes were in order. Klein-Davis and Convery replaced Chillingworth and Lowe and I asked the lads to pile forward. This gave Morecambe a 71st minute chance though, but Smith saved well at his near post. The move of the game though was to come in the 78th minute, ending up with Gilhaney bearing down on the Morecambe keeper who managed to produce the save of the season to keep us out. Smith saved a weak effort in the 84th minute as we toiled to little effect. When the final whistle went, we were disappointed that our FA Trophy adventure had ended by losing 1-0 to a decent Morecambe side.

We had matched Morecambe, and arguably deserved a draw. Again though, this doesn't mean anything if the opposition has scored more goals than you, and again we were beaten. This is a worrying trend, and our season could rapidly decline if we're not careful into a real problem if we don't buck up our results soon.

Due to our FA Trophy game, the next match was midweek at home to Gravesend and Northfleet. We were naturally a bit tired following the Morecambe game, so a couple of changes were in order. Klein-Davis replaced Chillingworth, Fish replaced Lumsdon and Brown replaced Roberts.

We started well here, and were much the better side in the opening exchanges. Klein-Davis had a shot saved in the 5th minute, Fish shot wide from 25 yards in the 10th minute, Gilhaney had a shot saved in the 20th minute and headed over in the 20th minute. Things then started to look more even, and we seemed to be anxious that we hadn't scored despite a fair bit of pressure. In the 27th minute, Cockerill played an awful square pass which let in the Gravesend forward. He took the ball on a squared it accross the 6 yard box for his partner to tap in from close range. Again we had pressed the self destruct button when doing well, and I was angry.

In the 33rd minute, Gravesend did the same thing as an ill advised interchange of passes between their keeper and centre back led to Klein-Davis tackling the keeper and running the ball into the empty net to restore parity at 1-1. A right wing Gravesend corner in the 40th minute though was controlled and slooted home comfortably to restore their lead, and with Gilhaney flashing wide in the 44th minute, we went into half time 2-1 down.

Yet again had our performance been good, but not the result. It had become a recent feature of our play, and not one I was pleased at all with. We had to get more clinical in the seond half, as we have difficult games coming up that need us in a better run of results.

What followed though was the most dull and turgid 45 minutes of football I have ever seen. It wasn't just us, as Gravesend were equally dire but this didn't help my mood at all. The second half was so dull, that there was not one effort on goal throughout the entire 45 minutes, so the game ended 2-1 to Gravesend.

I was angry, we were not being clinical, and not able to raise our game when we really needed it. It is a shame the transfer window has shut, or I might be trying to ship several of these lads out to replace them with whoever might be available.

The next weekend was a very tough trip to high flying Exeter. After being the match for our recent opponents though but without much to show, our luck must change eventually and get us some points.

Convery won his first start and replaced Lowe, Lumsdon replaced Fish, Caines replaced Gulliver, Gilligan replaced Smith and Chillingworth replaced Gilhaney as I tried to shuffle the pack some more to gain an advantage.

Exeter are a good side though, and pressured us from the off. Smith was called into action in the 4th minute to make a smart save, before a throw in found a skillful Exeter forward who turned Cockerill and fired the ball into the far post for a good 5th minute opening goal. Smith was called into action again in the 13th minute before we managed to stabilise the play a little. An even period followed with defences on top, before Convery broke through in the 30th minute but found the Exeter keeper in decent form. Exeter then moved up another gear, and shot wide in the 37th minute, had a freekick saved in the 39th minute and forced a good save from Smith in the 45th minute. Deep into injury time, a midfield scramble resulted in a throughball behind our defence. The initial shot was saved but the rebound was forced in to give Exeter a 2-0 lead at the interval.

We had been outplayed for the first time in a while here, and I tried to gee the lads up for a better second half performance. If we didn't buck it up a bit, we would lose this game heavily and really be in trouble.

We did look brighter after the interval though, and Klein-Davis forced a decent save from the Exeter keeper in the 48th minute. Lumsdon hit a freekick narrowly wide in the 61st minute before I introduced some changes, Gilhaney, Smith and Dutton replacing Klein-Davis, Gilligan and Lumsdon. There was then a frantic period, where last ditch tackling at both ends prevented any real chances being created, but posession was being squandered too easily by both sides. In the 79th minute though, a long ball was collected by an Exeter striker on the edge of the box who turned and shot to beat Smith and make the score 3-0. We were now out of the game, and Converys 86th minute shot showed that as it went tamely wide. In injury time, Exeter struck again though from a freekick that Dutton conceded on the edge of the box. It was a good curled effort that Smith had no chance with, so the game ended with a 4-0 scoreline.

Exeter were a side that we didn't expect anything from, and their performance showed the difference between a side gunning for promotion and one trying to stave off relegation. Our run of results though was now very worrying, and we simply have to start picking up points again or we will most definitely sink without trace in this division.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by irishregan:

Hoping this one will be resurrected soon Graeme, really enjoyed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might be, but probably not in as much detail as my life situation has changed in the last few weeks and I simply don't have the time at the moment for such detail.

Altrimcham 2 -0 Accrington Stanley

Goals:

Gilhaney 73

Lowe 78

A scrappy first half where we were largely the better side ended 0-0 with the Accy keeper far the busiest. We played very well second half, and Gilhaneys goal came after the Accy keeper dallied and was tackled by Chillingworth. Lowe scored from a far post tap in from a Convery cross after several good chances. A late Accy rally failed to produce a goal so it ended 2-0.

Woking 0 - 3 Altrincham

Goals:

Chillingworth 7

Gilhaney 39, 84

A largely eventless game in places, but Chillingworths early header from Cockerills cross set the tone. A long header from Laight put Gilhaney through for the second, whereas Woking were struggling to convert chances. Half a dozen chances for Woking after the interval were not converted, and eventually Gilhaney robbed the keeper and ran the ball home to give us more much needed points.

After 35 games, we looked OK with the table being as follows:

| 1st | | Rushden | | 35 | 22 | 9 | 4 | 63 | 27 | +36 | 75 |

| 2nd | | Carlisle | | 35 | 22 | 7 | 6 | 53 | 22 | +31 | 73 |

| 3rd | | Exeter | | 35 | 21 | 9 | 5 | 64 | 25 | +39 | 72 |

| 4th | | Torquay | | 35 | 19 | 6 | 10 | 46 | 37 | +9 | 63 |

| 5th | | Gravesend | | 35 | 18 | 7 | 10 | 49 | 37 | +12 | 61 |

| 6th | | York | | 35 | 17 | 9 | 9 | 42 | 30 | +12 | 60 |

| 7th | | Stevenage | | 35 | 16 | 10 | 9 | 51 | 31 | +20 | 58 |

| 8th | | Morecambe | | 35 | 16 | 9 | 10 | 45 | 31 | +14 | 57 |

| 9th | | Kidderminster | | 35 | 17 | 5 | 13 | 42 | 48 | -6 | 56 |

| 10th | | Dag & Red | | 35 | 17 | 4 | 14 | 42 | 36 | +6 | 55 |

| 11th | | Crawley | | 35 | 14 | 12 | 9 | 45 | 35 | +10 | 54 |

| 12th | | Cambridge | | 35 | 14 | 12 | 9 | 50 | 46 | +4 | 54 |

| 13th | | Accrington | | 35 | 16 | 4 | 15 | 56 | 43 | +13 | 52 |

| 14th | | Weymouth | | 35 | 15 | 7 | 13 | 51 | 40 | +11 | 52 |

| 15th | | Kettering | | 35 | 14 | 6 | 15 | 43 | 40 | +3 | 48 |

| 16th | | Forest Green | | 35 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 56 | 54 | +2 | 45 |

| 17th | | Grays | | 35 | 12 | 9 | 14 | 50 | 53 | -3 | 45 |

| 18th | | Woking | | 35 | 13 | 6 | 16 | 42 | 54 | -12 | 45 |

| 19th | | Altrincham | | 35 | 13 | 4 | 18 | 48 | 59 | -11 | 43 |

| 20th | | Scarborough | | 35 | 10 | 9 | 16 | 33 | 44 | -11 | 39 |

| 21st | | Southport | | 35 | 10 | 5 | 20 | 42 | 53 | -11 | 35 |

| 22nd | | Nuneaton | | 35 | 4 | 4 | 27 | 23 | 75 | -52 | 16 |

| 23rd | | Histon | | 35 | 4 | 3 | 28 | 22 | 76 | -54 | 15 |

| 24th | R | Yeading | | 35 | 0 | 3 | 32 | 7 | 69 | -62 | 3 |

Yeading are already down, and were 8 points ahead of the drop zone with 11 games remaining. 4 more wins should do it, but we cannot afford to lose our bottle now as Southport and Scarborough are picking up points consistently at the moment.

Altrincham 3 - 3 Torquay

Goals:

(22)

Gilhaney 24

Klein-Davis 25

Gilhaney 29

(71)

(94)

In awful conditions, a surprisingly open game at Moss Lane finished with us gutted we didn't win. A great turn and shot put us behind, but 3 goals in 5 minutes saw us lead at the break 3-1. The second half was closer, but as the game wore on we got more tired. A lack of a challenge to the Torquay player gave them their second, and a well worked corner handed them a draw with the last touch of the game. 2 points dropped here definitely.

Carlisle 2 -1 Altrincham

Goals:

(2)

Klein-Davis 49

(64)

We always felt behind the 8 ball here, and that Carlisle could move up a gear and kill us if they wanted. It remained close throughout though, and some great defending on our part on occasion kept it close. There were few chances all round, but we did have some that could have earned us a point. Our highlight was Klein-Davis' goal which he took very well and was the pick of the three.

Altrincham 5 - 0 Histon

Goals:

Lumsdon 10

Gilhaney 40, 66, 81

Dutton 51

Always in total control, Gilhaney was rightly the star of the show here. The only bad point was an injury to Wells who will be out for a month. Some great passing and general play meant we rarely lost the ball and when we did, it came back quickly. Histon put in an abject performance, and will rightly be going down this season.

Rushden 2 - 0 Altrincham

Goals:

(28)

(36 pen)

A free kick strike and a penalty was all that separated us from Rushden here. We played very well, and deserved something from the game but ultimately left with nothing. Dutton conceded the freekick, and Laight conceded the penalty from which the goals came, but those apart the sides were very even.

Scarborough 1 - 0 Altrincham

Goal:

(42)

We battered Scarborough here from first to last, but just couldn't score. They got a break near to half time and scored, but largely posed no other serious threat on our goal. It was a must win game, and we lost. I was very disappointed, especially as we had created enough chances to win 3 games.

Convery would also be out for a month now with a pulled hamstring.

After 40 games, the table was as follows:

| 1st | | Exeter | | 41 | 24 | 11 | 6 | 71 | 29 | +42 | 83 |

| 2nd | | Rushden | | 39 | 24 | 11 | 4 | 68 | 29 | +39 | 83 |

| 3rd | | Carlisle | | 39 | 23 | 9 | 7 | 57 | 26 | +31 | 78 |

| 4th | | Torquay | | 41 | 22 | 9 | 10 | 56 | 43 | +13 | 75 |

| 5th | | Accrington | | 41 | 21 | 5 | 15 | 70 | 46 | +24 | 68 |

| 6th | | Dag & Red | | 40 | 21 | 5 | 14 | 55 | 37 | +18 | 68 |

| 7th | | York | | 41 | 19 | 11 | 11 | 50 | 37 | +13 | 68 |

| 8th | | Morecambe | | 41 | 19 | 10 | 12 | 55 | 40 | +15 | 67 |

| 9th | | Crawley | | 41 | 17 | 15 | 9 | 54 | 38 | +16 | 66 |

| 10th | | Gravesend | | 39 | 19 | 8 | 12 | 54 | 46 | +8 | 65 |

| 11th | | Stevenage | | 39 | 17 | 12 | 10 | 55 | 35 | +20 | 63 |

| 12th | | Kidderminster | | 41 | 19 | 6 | 16 | 50 | 57 | -7 | 63 |

| 13th | | Weymouth | | 40 | 18 | 8 | 14 | 59 | 44 | +15 | 62 |

| 14th | | Cambridge | | 40 | 16 | 13 | 11 | 59 | 54 | +5 | 61 |

| 15th | | Grays | | 41 | 14 | 11 | 16 | 60 | 62 | -2 | 53 |

| 16th | | Woking | | 41 | 15 | 8 | 18 | 49 | 59 | -10 | 53 |

| 17th | | Forest Green | | 41 | 14 | 10 | 17 | 66 | 67 | -1 | 52 |

| 18th | | Kettering | | 40 | 14 | 7 | 19 | 44 | 52 | -8 | 49 |

| 19th | | Scarborough | | 40 | 13 | 10 | 17 | 40 | 50 | -10 | 49 |

| 20th | | Altrincham | | 40 | 14 | 5 | 21 | 57 | 67 | -10 | 47 |

| 21st | | Southport | | 40 | 11 | 7 | 22 | 50 | 61 | -11 | 40 |

| 22nd | R | Nuneaton | | 40 | 4 | 5 | 31 | 25 | 87 | -62 | 17 |

| 23rd | R | Histon | | 41 | 4 | 3 | 34 | 24 | 91 | -67 | 15 |

| 24th | R | Yeading | | 41 | 1 | 3 | 37 | 11 | 82 | -71 | 6 |

With Histon and Nuneaton also now down, only a resilient Southport stands in our way of retaining our Conference National status. Hopefully though it will be another club that drops and both us and the Sandgrounders can survive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbor!:

Yes, you're up and running again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you.

What does everyone who reads this think of the new shorter style? I felt a bit that my old style was getting a bit samey.

Southport 3 - 1 Altrincham

Goals:

(6)

Chillingworth 17

Murphy Sent off 34

(50)

(91)

We were well in the game all the way through, but found it an uphill struggle after Murphy was sent off for two bookings relatively early on. Southports first was an excellent move, our goal was a brave header from a left wing cross. Southport had most of the second half and capitalised on their man advantage well twice.

It was a crucial loss though, as Southport are in good form and closing fast. A real 6 pointer that we have lost there and a big blow.

Other News

Now is also the time when I have to start shaping my squad for next season and deciding who I want to retain and release. Some difficult decisions will have to be made, not least about my own future. As I have stated all along, I am ambitious and feel that I am being held back somewhat by Altrinchams size, part-time status and reputation. I therefore feel that with the club stabilised a bit, I can move on with my head held high. If I do manage to relegate them though, I will see it through and make sure they end up as a stable Conference outfit.

To this end, Fish has signed a new contract, keeping him with Alty for another couple of years. Brown was injured in the Southport game and will miss a few weeks.

Altrincham 0 - 0 Stevenage Borough

After the disappointment of the Southport game, a much improved display here failed to yield a goal, but did get a point. We created the lions share of the chances, but just couldn't score. Still, at least this game stopped the rot somewhat.

Altrincham 3 - 1 Crawley

Goals:

Gilhaney 33, 39, 40

(35)

We were awesome early, but apart from a mad 10 minutes when all the goals went in, this was a very dull and dour game. The second half was snore enducing, and apart from a few early cracks the only action was the goals. Still, 1 win closer to the required safety mark.

Other News

Injuries abound, with Lowe now out for the rest of the season with a damaged kneecap, and keeper Jon Smith missing the next game with a stubbed finger. Southport are still getting results, and with only 3 games left the tension was palpable everywhere.

Altrincham 0 - 3 Grays Athletic

Goals:

(35)

(pen 63)

(88)

With Coburn in net in the absence of Smith and Gilhaney going off with a knock after only 18 minutes, we didn't look the same side. To be fair though, despite the fact that both sides seemed more adept at attacking than defending, there were less than 10 chances in the game in total. Giles conceded the penalty having let his man in behind him, and I was very disappointed it him. We missed 3 chances, but they were no more than half chances so it was probably a fair result, if not a fair scoreline. Doesn't help the nerves though!

Morecambe 2 - 1 Altrincham

Goals:

(13)

(82)

Chillingworth 84

Despite the passages of play being pretty even, Morecambe still came up with the most chances. Apart from their goals, they had one chalked off for offisde on 24 minutes and one cleared off the line in the 72nd minute. We had chances too, and their second came on the break against the run of play. Disappointing loss, but we now have to win to guarantee our survival.

With 1 game to go, here is the table:

| 1st | Pl | Exeter | | 45 | 26 | 13 | 6 | 75 | 31 | +44 | 91 |

| 2nd | Pl | Rushden | | 45 | 26 | 13 | 6 | 74 | 38 | +36 | 91 |

| 3rd | Pl | Carlisle | | 45 | 26 | 10 | 9 | 68 | 35 | +33 | 88 |

| 4th | | Torquay | | 45 | 24 | 9 | 12 | 61 | 47 | +14 | 81 |

| 5th | | Dag & Red | | 45 | 24 | 7 | 14 | 63 | 41 | +22 | 79 |

| 6th | | York | | 45 | 22 | 12 | 11 | 57 | 39 | +18 | 78 |

| 7th | | Morecambe | | 45 | 22 | 10 | 13 | 64 | 43 | +21 | 76 |

| 8th | | Accrington | | 45 | 22 | 6 | 17 | 73 | 50 | +23 | 72 |

| 9th | | Stevenage | | 45 | 19 | 14 | 12 | 59 | 39 | +20 | 71 |

| 10th | | Crawley | | 45 | 18 | 17 | 10 | 57 | 42 | +15 | 71 |

| 11th | | Weymouth | | 45 | 20 | 9 | 16 | 65 | 51 | +14 | 69 |

| 12th | | Kidderminster | | 45 | 20 | 9 | 16 | 55 | 60 | -5 | 69 |

| 13th | | Gravesend | | 45 | 19 | 11 | 15 | 58 | 55 | +3 | 68 |

| 14th | | Cambridge | | 45 | 16 | 14 | 15 | 62 | 63 | -1 | 62 |

| 15th | | Grays | | 45 | 16 | 12 | 17 | 67 | 67 | 0 | 60 |

| 16th | | Scarborough | | 45 | 16 | 10 | 19 | 44 | 54 | -10 | 58 |

| 17th | | Woking | | 45 | 16 | 9 | 20 | 54 | 63 | -9 | 57 |

| 18th | | Kettering | | 45 | 16 | 8 | 21 | 50 | 57 | -7 | 56 |

| 19th | | Forest Green | | 45 | 14 | 12 | 19 | 69 | 74 | -5 | 54 |

| 20th | | Altrincham | | 45 | 15 | 6 | 24 | 62 | 76 | -14 | 51 |

| 21st | | Southport | | 45 | 14 | 7 | 24 | 59 | 65 | -6 | 49 |

| 22nd | R | Histon | | 45 | 6 | 5 | 34 | 30 | 94 | -64 | 23 |

| 23rd | R | Nuneaton | | 45 | 4 | 7 | 34 | 28 | 98 | -70 | 19 |

| 24th | R | Yeading | | 45 | 2 | 4 | 39 | 14 | 86 | -72 | 10 |

A win guarantees us safety, but a loss means we could well go down. We play our arch nemesis Kettering away while Southport have Kidderminster at home who have nothing to play for. It will be a tense, nervous day at both grounds.

The new shorter style is fine, though I'd like to see the attendance figures. Glad to see you've kept updates about the financial position etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attendance figures will be there for next season, I promise. The notes I made didn't include attendances, and I am now in Feb in the next season, so couldn't get them.

Kettering Town 2 - 1 Altrincham

Goals:

(26)

Chillingworth 62

(80)

Disaster. An incredibly scruffy first half produced one chance, and Kettering scored from it. The first second half chance for either side we scored from, but we couldn't prevent Kettering retaking the lead and ultimately the points.

We were then anxiously waiting on news from Haig Avenue. If Southport won, we were down, if not we had survived...

After the game, I managed to get a video of the Southport game and can decribe the scenes there. Southport went into the break with a 1-0 advantage, having deservedly taken the lead on 18 minutes. They should have been 3 or 4 up by this time, but some nervous finishing had cost them. The second half was much the same as the first, with Southport being the better side on the day. But, as the game wore on, the superior fitness of a full-time Kiddie team over the part-timers of Southport began to show, and an equaliser came in the 77th minute. Southport then had a goal ruled out for a very dodgy offside call, and hit the woodwork on no less than 3 occasions. But crucially, they failed to score again and finished in the last relegation place a point behind us, we had done it, just.

The final table therefore looks like this:

| 1st | C | Exeter | | 46 | 26 | 14 | 6 | 76 | 32 | +44 | 92 |

| 2nd | Pl | Rushden | | 46 | 26 | 14 | 6 | 75 | 39 | +36 | 92 |

| 3rd | Pl | Carlisle | | 46 | 27 | 10 | 9 | 69 | 35 | +34 | 91 |

| 4th | Pl | Dag & Red | | 46 | 25 | 7 | 14 | 68 | 43 | +25 | 82 |

| 5th | Pl | Torquay | | 46 | 24 | 10 | 12 | 62 | 48 | +14 | 82 |

| 6th | | Morecambe | | 46 | 23 | 10 | 13 | 67 | 43 | +24 | 79 |

| 7th | | York | | 46 | 22 | 13 | 11 | 58 | 40 | +18 | 79 |

| 8th | | Crawley | | 46 | 19 | 17 | 10 | 59 | 42 | +17 | 74 |

| 9th | | Accrington | | 46 | 22 | 6 | 18 | 74 | 53 | +21 | 72 |

| 10th | | Stevenage | | 46 | 19 | 15 | 12 | 61 | 41 | +20 | 72 |

| 11th | | Weymouth | | 46 | 21 | 9 | 16 | 68 | 51 | +17 | 72 |

| 12th | | Kidderminster | | 46 | 20 | 10 | 16 | 56 | 61 | -5 | 70 |

| 13th | | Gravesend | | 46 | 19 | 11 | 16 | 58 | 56 | +2 | 68 |

| 14th | | Cambridge | | 46 | 16 | 15 | 15 | 62 | 63 | -1 | 63 |

| 15th | | Grays | | 46 | 16 | 12 | 18 | 69 | 72 | -3 | 60 |

| 16th | | Woking | | 46 | 17 | 9 | 20 | 57 | 64 | -7 | 60 |

| 17th | | Kettering | | 46 | 17 | 8 | 21 | 52 | 58 | -6 | 59 |

| 18th | | Scarborough | | 46 | 16 | 10 | 20 | 44 | 57 | -13 | 58 |

| 19th | | Forest Green | | 46 | 14 | 13 | 19 | 71 | 76 | -5 | 55 |

| 20th | | Altrincham | | 46 | 15 | 6 | 25 | 63 | 78 | -15 | 51 |

| 21st | R | Southport | | 46 | 14 | 8 | 24 | 60 | 66 | -6 | 50 |

| 22nd | R | Histon | | 46 | 6 | 6 | 34 | 30 | 94 | -64 | 24 |

| 23rd | R | Nuneaton | | 46 | 4 | 7 | 35 | 28 | 101 | -73 | 19 |

| 24th | R | Yeading | | 46 | 2 | 4 | 40 | 14 | 88 | -74 | 10 |

We had survived by a point after it looked like we might end up a mid-table team at one stage. Whatever happens from here on in, I don't want to have to go through a last day relegation nightmare fight again.

2007 - 2008 Season In Review

In this season I was back to being a small team in a big league. Having my first full pre-season with a team was a bonus, and meant that I could really mould the squad how I wanted. I made some mistakes along the way, some polayers I shouldn't have bought, some tactics I shouldn't have tried, but at the end of the day we survived and I wouldn't have a relegation on my CV.

Managing a part-time club in a predominantly professional league is a difficult task. You want to dramatically improve your playing staff to progress, but it has to be done piecemeal as the right top quality players are not often available, or your bids get hijacked by bigger clubs late on. Therefore I need to be patient and build it slowly. One great player here and there, just hoping I don't have to sell them along the way.

If I was to mark my season, I would probably have given it a C. It was good, satisfactory, but I don't believe we were any worse than half the teams in this league so to be so close to relegation at the end was diassapointing. Must do better next season.

It emerged that Aldershot and Southend would be coming down to the Conference, and both should bring decent away attendances to Moss Lane. In the Conference playoffs, Carlisle fairly breezed through them to join Exeter in League 2 and condemn Rushden to another non-league season.

Lee Woodward, who I was going to release anyway, managed to find himself a club in Plymouth and agreed a contract on a free.

With dwindling attendances late on in the season, and some seemingly mystery expenses after the league programme had finished, we went into the closed season about £50k in debt. This would be righted over the summer though with TV money, and should never be in debt again as long as rediculous expenses are not incurred.

In the run up to the nationwide contract expiry time of the 30th June, there is a lot to do. As always there is a squad assessment, some to be offered new contracts, some to be transfer listed and some to be released.

Triston Hamilton-Hendricks agreed a contract with Colchester to sign for them after the expiry of his Alty contract. He didn't make the impact I had hoped he would, and was to be released anyway.

There are quite a lot of players I have slapped on the transfer list. These include Giles, Gulliver, Johnson, Prosser and Moore. All of these did little to stake a claim for a regular place and I have deemed them surplus to requirements.

Two players I have offered new contracts to are Gilhaney and Brown. Both players, especially Gilhaney, have been good signings and have done good jobs. Gilhaney has been a revelation, and is by a considerable margin our best player. He agrees to spend 3 more years at Alty on the same wages, and Brown agrees to another 2 on the same wages.

Bids for some of my transfer listed lads come in. Luke Prosser has a bid of £3k from Hyde United which I accept. He agrees terms and leaves. Dagenham & Redbridge bid £10k plus 40% of his next transfer for Sammy Moore. I accept and he signs with them.

Gilhaney was voted the Supporters club player of the season, after scoring not far off 30 goals. This is great, and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

On offer from the board for the new season were several options concerned with wage budgets and transfer kittys. I chose the option of the highest wage budget as I will try to get my players on frees. The wage budget is therefore £5.25k/week with a £3.2k transfer kitty.

Just before the release of hundreds of players on the 1st July, two of the sides promoted to the Conference next season, Northwich and Hinckley, both turn professional. How they plan to afford this I have no idea, with especially Hinckley having very small crowds.

In other unrelated news, the Euro 2008 competition was taking place, with England losing in the final to Spain on penalties. I hope one day to manage England and lead them to glory.

I am also on the lookout for any other managerial jobs. I feel I have done what I intended to do at Alty, which is stabilise them in the Conference and financially. I therefore want to move on. I will therefore apply for jobs as and when they become available. I keep getting turned down for them though.

Archived