Jose Mourinho Tactic.

Hi. I just wondered how the work on this project was coming along. I have tried my own way of recreating Mourinho's tactics on FM 2010. If anyone could give me some advice, it would be great as well.

I used the 4-5-1 Template

Philosophy Rigid

Passing More Direct

Creative Freedom More Disciplined

Closing Down Press More

Tackling More Aggressive

Marking Man Marking

Crossing Float Crosses

Roaming Stick to Position

Role Assignments

Goalkeeper Defend

Full Back Auto

Centre Back Cover

Centre Back Stopper

Full Back Auto

Anchor Man Defend

Attacking Playmaker Attack

Box to Box Midfielder Support

Defensive Winger Attack

Defensive Winger Attack

Target Man Support

Unfortunately, I have not had much chances to watch Mourinho's Chelsea play during their heydays (I'm an Arsenal fan). What little I know is from reading player reports such Joe Cole and Shaun Wright Phillip's complaining about being chastened for crossing the lines and I was thinking a more regimented approach would be useful for the lower leagues.

I think I probably have most of the duties right, only point being the philosophy and the 2 wide men. Should I set them to Wingers, Defensive Wingers or Inside Forwards? It's hard to figure out where Joe Cole's exact mentality is, as I've seen him in a playmaker role more then once. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Don't know how much Serie A y'all watch....but Mourinho's main tactic is 4132 or 4312. If you recall he also used 4132 in his third season at Chelsea.

A few things to keep in mind about Mourinho's tactics in his first two seasons at Chelsea (as well as at Porto):

Mourinho stressed that he didn't play 451...or 433. He played 41221. Mourinho's tactical edge in England was having more strata or lines then flat 442. This was both an attacking and defending advantage.

What seems to me to be pretty impossible to do in any FM match engine (at least since the wibble/woggle from CM2) is to replicate Mourinho's traping with the ball side central mid and full back when opposition had ball in the flank gap but keeping shape in when the ball was more central. Basically closing down for CMs would need to be high when the ball is in the flank gap between FB, Winger and CM, but lower when the ball was in the middle. Wibble/wobble allowed this...and could create Super defensive tactics.

he plays 2 up front now as he has eto'o and millito, its almost the same as chelseas diamond, as the midfield is narrow and quite solid. the width comes from maicon on the right mainly, not sure about the left, as i think chivu plays left back.

as previously mentioned he plays more of a 4312 or 4132 with either motta holding or sneidjer attacking. i think the other 2 midfielder would be box to box with zenneti, muntari, stankociv etc.

I was more thinking of the tactics he deployed at Chelsea in his second and third season, imo, I remember drogba, anelka, mallouda, swp, joe cole etc. were part of front 3. This I gathered by looking a the average position charts on ESPN.

Joe cole seems more like an inside forward, playmaker when he comes on but malouda, swp stay out wide to stretch the defense. Would their duties be more like a defensive or out andout winger?

I'm also concerned about the philosophy and defensive lines that he employed; I'm trying to get this locked down correctly.

• 1 month later...

Archived