Assistant manager and poor tackling

• 2 weeks later...

Is tackling directly related to a good defensive record though? You may have good defensive records because your attack is so sharp that opponents don't have a chance to attack you.

Also, by closing down and positioning of players, you might not need to be good in the tackle to keep clean sheets though.

However, I do understand your frustrations. I think these assistant managers can be occasionally more a hindrance when it comes to feedback.

Just to prove that, my assistant says my central defender is used to closing down more than he is in this match. Just checked his stats, he's closing down is set on maximum. Doh!

I have read there are a few tweaks being made with regard to the tackling etc to tighten it up, but sometimes if your ass man tells you that tackling is terrible, changing the agression level can make a difference - examples:

If tackling is bad and fouls are high, going less agressive (i.e. instead of hard go to normal or even easy tackling) can improve both of these stats!

or

in the opposite, maybe tackling is bad because you're not going in hard enough and the other team are passing it around you...?!

Also bear in mind OI's. If you set tackling to normal but you're OI's say always tackle 'player x' agressively then they'll ignore the 'normal' order - this can be important when playing against WC players - sometimes the OI's can work against you, i find steven gerrard a good example of this, getting his OI's wrong means he just drops a shoulder, beats my entire team and rockets one into the top corner. The temptation is to always close him down, mark him tightly etc. but bearing in mind he's one of the best players on the game you have to make sure the guy(s) doing this are good enough to or else he can just run rings around them!

One thing I have always had difficulty in getting accross to players in real life is that good defending is not mainly about an ability to tackle.

Tackling infers defenders winning the ball.

Whereas its easier to defend with a "you can't get past me" attitude. Positioning and blocking. Then when the mistake is made in comes the tackle.

when is the next patch out?

im dying to find this out aswell. its an unbearable/unplayable game imo until the new patch. defending is a total joke in this game at the moment.

And i dont know how from 9.3 last year(which seemed fine), the ME has gone backwards and ur players blatantly refuse to tackle.

Archived