Steven Bonar

Craig Coyle

Johnny MacAdam

Graeme Brown

Mark McGarty

Tommy Franch All Free transfers

Peterhead(h) Challenge Cup 1st Round

Score 1-0 defeat

Poor performace here from Berwick deserved victory for newly relegated Peterhead

Peterhead(a) Third Division

Score 0-0 draw

Much better from Brechin here and should have got more from this game but still no goals.

Brechin(a) CIS Cup 1st Round

Score 3-2 defeat

Another improved performance here with Berwick scoring the opener through Steve McGlinchey then Brechin equalised before Nicky Weightman put the visitors ahead again. It wasn't for long but as Brechin scored another quick equaliser.brechin then scored in the last second for an undeserved win that sees no wins from the opening 3 games but performances getting better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dm_gers:

banner7oz.jpg

Transfers

In

Graeme Churchill Falkirk Free

Kyle Bryson Hibs Free

Stephen Baird Raith Free

Out

Craig Marr Arbroth

Stuart Mclean

Steven Bonar

Craig Coyle

Johnny MacAdam

Graeme Brown

Mark McGarty

Tommy Franch All Free transfers

Peterhead(h) Challenge Cup 1st Round

Score 1-0 defeat

Poor performace here from Berwick deserved victory for newly relegated Peterhead

Peterhead(a) Third Division

Score 0-0 draw

Much better from Brechin here and should have got more from this game but still no goals.

Brechin(a) CIS Cup 1st Round

Score 3-2 defeat

Another improved performance here with Berwick scoring the opener through Steve McGlinchey then Brechin equalised before Nicky Weightman put the visitors ahead again. It wasn't for long but as Brechin scored another quick equaliser.brechin then scored in the last second for an undeserved win that sees no wins from the opening 3 games but performances getting better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dumbarton9uo.png

New Season 1998/99

8 new signings including Marino from Cowdenbeath. Scored 15 goals for them last season & picked him up on a Bosman. I let 8 players leave all coming to the end of their contracts.

ist Match Home V Hamilton (Lost 1-0) Challenge Cup 1st Round

Side performed OK against team from higher Division. Spotted a few things which needed tweaking in the tactics and disapointed to lose in the end.

3rd Division Home V Alloa Won 2-0 Russell (Pen) McNaught

My two top strikers scored both goals in a comfortable win against newly relegated Alloa. Tactics worked better than previous week but we still made hard work of the victory. Happy that we won and that we can oimprove.

Away V St Mirren Lost 2-4 CIS Cup 1st Round

Out of the Cup but played well against 1st Division Opposition. Had chances early on but failed tp take them and we were very unlucky to find ourselves 3-0 down. Kept plugging away and pulled a goal back (McNaught) but then St Mirren scored again before Keenan made it 4-2 to send us out of the Cup but with Pride intact and hopes for the season are very High.

dumbarton9uo.png

Football Manager is Ruining My Life

1 - Cannott Sleep. Up untill 1am on a sunday night/Monday Morning. Still thinking of tactics and Formatoins my sleep is interupted and im lucky to get a couple of good hours sleep which leaves me....

2 - Effectimg My Work. Monday at work is terrible. Im Tired and irritable and cannot get on with my jobs efficiently. Ill get the sack soon

3 - Relationship. My relationship with my Wife is strained. She has to sort the kids out on the nights I play FM and other nights im tired and have to try to make up to her. She tells me I think more of Football Manager than I do of her. I tell her I think more of Man Utd (Im a Leeds fan BY the way) than I do of her. She told me she was planing to run away with my best Friend. I was gutted. ---- I will miss going out for a drink with him!

4 - My kids. I play cars and army with my boys. I end up setting them up in 442 or 532 formations and telling them to push up or go on the defensive.

5 - Thinking about manager all the time. everything I do im still thinking of the next session online and whether I can take the mighty Dumbarton into the second Division. Ill do it this year.

2ndDiv6-08.jpg

Montrose Robert McDougall has done a great job at Montrose. He gain them promotion to the 2nd only a season ago, and now they have won promotion again to the 1st. The amazing thing is this has been done on a very tight budget, with no money to spend. One of Robert’s best signing must be Jason Walker a free signing from Morton last season who netted an amazing 32 goals from 33 games this season, and has scored 43 times now in 49 games for Montrose. Another good signing was right back Stephan McNally a free from Dundee, and Barry Callaghan the right winger, a free signing from Kilmarnock who has chipped in with 13 goals.

Montrose may find it a bit harder next season in the 1st division but if the can get themselves a mid table finish they have done well, and this will be something to build on.

Stenhousemuir Richard Thomson would be very disappointed at the way his team performed in the play – off semi final. Richard has made Stenhousemuir a strong force in the 2nd division, and has spent 80k rebuilding them In Colin Nish they have a striker to be feared, he netted 25 goals in 35 appearances last season, and has now scored 69 goals in two seasons, not a bad signing for 7k from Kilmarnock. At the other end 35 year keeper who has been with Stenny now 5 seasons now has been in great form with the help of centre back Sean Webb a free signing from Ross County.

Well Stenhousemuir must be one of the favorites not just to gain promotion but to win 2nd next time out.

East Fife Maverick manager Ross McGregor has sent 80k on a total off 39 players, but has also recouped 950k from selling players on. Ross will be a bit disappointed to be beating in the final off the play offs. But after finishing 3rd division champion in 2007, they have done well to make the play off. East Fife also had a great Scottish Cup run beating, Albion Rovers, Dumbarton, Dunfermline and Partick only to be beaten in the semi by Celtic. The Portuguese right winger Filipe Morais has been a major plus for East Fife with 17 goals from the wing, a free signing from Hibs. At the back Swede David Renn has been a tower off strength, this was his 3rd season At East Fife and he seem to be enjoying life there. In the middle of the park you have Ryan Stevenson who was a free signing 3 years ago from ST Johnston.

East Fife Must be one of the favorites for a play off place this season.

Sorry a bit late with this 3rd Divsion to come.

eginbanner0uo.png

Hi there

Just a little write up about the ongoings at Elgin Football Club

Since I have joined this club 2 ½ seasons ago we have finished 2nd from bottom, bottom and bottom, so I haven’t had the best off records on the pitch you could say. Of the pitch, when I joined the club was in a debt to a tune of 150k, if you are the likes of Rangers or Celtic this is a drop in the ocean but to a club like Elgin its just crippling. Somehow have managed to claw this back season by season, been very hard times but this will be the first times that I have been at Elgin that the club isn’t in debt and the club have given me money to spend. 2k may not sound a lot to some but to me who has had to wheel and deal, beg borrow and even steal sometimes it’s like winning the pools. Reflecting on last season we did actually nearly double our points tally from the season before, so you can say we are improving. But thinks will have to just get better because we were still 10 points away from 2nd from bottom. One off the problem I have got is the wage bill has been creeping up, and may have to get rid off some players. Have been looking at some that have been with me for a while, some fine lads but someone once said to me, “if you have a heart in football management you shouldn’t be doing it.†As for the season coming, mid table would really please me, and think we stand a chance of that.

First game was against Queens Park home in the Challenge cup. Fancied my chances in this, but problem I had was a few players were lacking in a bit of match fitness, and the newcomers had to gel quickly. Well things didn’t get off to a good start, when McGraw scored a scrappy goal which took a deflection off Wayne Finnie on the way in only 7 mins gone. 6 mins latter, Comrie took the corner to the edge of the area, Alan Brazil tried to cut out the pass, but instead passed the ball dangerously across his own area, which gave Wilson perfect opportunity, and he scored. WHY WHY WHY, that was murdered Brazil . Soane was forced to come off through injury, and replaced him with new signing Tommy Anyuro We did try and get back at them, Brazil missed a good chance, and Donnelly tried a left footed volley, ball hit the woodwork and bounced clear. Then Bathgate had to go off injured, caused by a challenge. I just had to tell some of them what I really thought off them, that some were absolutely clueless out there.

Well it looked like they had started to listen to me, and we started to put the pressure on. Then we got caught on the counter, one minute we were on our 3rd corner in the matter on the trot, and there keeper was saving a shoot from Tommy Anyuro , ball got cleared and Martin got clean through on goal, our keeper came out, Willie Martin centred the ball for Wilson 3-0 down. Started to watch some of the Elgin's fans leave early, but there was more salt to rub in these old wounds of mine. Bain got a red card, for pushing over Martin who had just hit Tommy Anyuro with a nasty tackle. Then Stuart McKenzie took a knock in the dying minutes. So ended the game with 9 men. Did I give it to them when I got them back to the dressing room, remember the shock look of Tommy Anyuro face, and also told Alan Brazil he couldn’t hit a barn door from 10 yards.

Cheers Holo icon14.gificon14.gif

i would just like to thank frank for his hard work aswell as mcd for banners and ross for making sure that people post this makes sure the clan runs smothly with the 3 newest members now settled in the clan is looking in great shape we are 9 strong and looking in great shape for the futuresmallerbaner2bz.png

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fat Ric:

smallerbaner2bz.pnghttp://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6681/smallerbaner2bz.png http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5410/stennyfinal4uy.png[/img]

Nice to see you have got it right Mcd ;-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> shame i dint lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlmcgregor:

im all up for newbies but why doesnt every one who wants to join say why and also add what they would bring to the game? just an idea could sort the men from the boys (sorry tracy)

unless anyone thinks this is a mince idea post away newbies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that's a good idea I think icon14.gif

Hey boys. Im interested in joining the clan. I have a fair amount of experience playing the championship manager/ FM series. This I must admit would be my first foray into the world of online clan gameing. I have loads of experience in other online leagues ie hockey, football (american), and baseball. I consider myself very adept at manageing in fm and I would be a nice addition to the group. I am 26 as well so no need to worry about any immature behaviour out of me as well I am from that soccer powerhouse country of Canada so i would add a bit different perspective on things from this side of the pond

elginbanner8za.gif

Hi there

First league game off the season against Forfar at home. If Elgin were to improve these are the sort of games that we need to be winning. Made 8 changes from the match against Queens Park, most were forced on because of injuries or suspensions. Four were playing there league debut for Elgin, Gary Melrose, Alex Donnelly, Steven Hutchison and Tommy Anyuro all playing in the midfield, and there was a welcome back to Martin Johnston after a long lay off. Went in at half –time 0-0 to be honest Forfar had the better chances, but I was very happy with the way the defence was playing, especially with Steven Hutchison sitting just in front of them. We started off well in the 2nd half. We got a throw on, on the left wing. The throw-in was taken by Melrose to Neil MacDonald ,who passed first time along the floor for Melrose to pick it up, Melrose moved forward with the ball, then delivered the ball to the near post, Tommy Anyuro dived and got his head onto the ball. ANYURO SCORED FOR ELGIN!! ON HIS LEAGUE DEBUT Brought young Tommy Hutchins who had been playing for the England under 19’s over the summer. He missed a sitter with only the keeper to beat to put us 2-0 up. Forfar did come back at us but the defence held out. Wasn’t preety but we won and that’s all that matters to me.

Played Airdrie next in the 1st round of the League Cup. Airdrie were two legues above us and I didn’t really fancy are chances in this game. Made 11 changes to the side that played Forfar, decide to do this because I wanted to rest some of the players, and wanted to have a look at others and this was a goldon chance to do this. Well we didn’t do ourselves any favours when we gifted then the 1st goal, Tough passed the ball back to keeper Johnson, who lost complete control off the ball Prunty pounced on ball, and had an open goal at his mercy. Only 5 mins gone and 1 down. 10 mins later had to bring on Tommy Anyuro for Neal Hooks who had picked up a knock. Anyuro got to work straight away, he made a great run down the right wing, th4en put in the cross. Lennox tried the spectacular!, hit it on the volley. Yes what a great take by Lennox, and grat work by Anyuro 1-1 25 mins gone. Well it didn’t take long for them to come back at us. McGrady could not stop Foster going past him, Foster crossed the ball for Steven McDougall , who was unmarked and got his head to it 2-1 to them, 30 mins gone. After this it seem Airdrie picked up another gear and we were really under the cosh. Was glad to get the lads in at half-time.

Steven McDougall had a goal disallowed for offside early into the 2nd half, we were finding it hard out there. It didn’t take him long to score his 3rd in the game with some great work from Foster again. They seemed to be happy with the score line and they started to sit back a bit. We had a couple of chances but in the end Airdrie won this very comfortably. Its not all bad news, because off this game we made about 25k from it which is always handy.

berwickupload3nh.gif

Only Got 3 games in last night with 2 wins and a loss also a bit of transfer news Steve McGlinchey is off to Airdrie managed to get 45k off of them plus a 20%sell on clause in the deal. Need to find a good striker now but It will be hard trying to get a decent striker to come to Berwick in Third Divison rite here's the games that were played:

Dumbarton(a) Third Division

Score 3-1 win

Berwick goalscorers: Ryan Wilkie,Graeme Churchill and an OG

Went into this game feeling we could have got destroyed by Dumbarton and this was true in the first few minutes as Iain Russell opened the scoring for Dumbarton. Turned out to be there only goal though as Berwick were brilliant the rest of the game from the back forwards. Right winger Ryan Wilkie scored a nice goal in the 14th minute to level the scores before Graeme Churchill doubled our tally on the 25th. More was to follow as a cross from the left wing was unfortunately turned in by Sean Roycroft of Dumbarton for an OG. The rest off the game there wasn't really a threat from Dumbarton as the defence coped with everything that was threw at them. An excellent away win then and deserved 3 points.

Cowdenbeath(h) Third Division

Score 2-1 defeat

Berwick goalscorers: Stuart Anderson

After the excellent away win fielded an unchanged side against Cowdenbeath and expecting a comfartable home win. It never looked like anything different in the first half as Berwick were brilliant creating loads of chances some which were brilliantly saved by the Cowdenbeath keeper and others that should have been put away by the strikers. Then against the run of play Calum Smith scored on 43 mins for Cowdenbeath but their lead didn't last for long as the Berwick captain Stuart Anderson scored on the stroke of half time to level the scores. The second half was much the same as the first and again against the run of play Cowdenbeath scored again this time it was Jacob Crolla in the 81st minute and everyone was but forward for Berwick. We couldn't find the equaliser but and were left feeling dissapointed at the result.

Elgin(h) Third Division

Score 2-0 win

Berwick goalscorers: Graeme Churchill and Mark Innes

Team sheet was changed for the visit for Elgin and was looking for nothing less than the 3 points. This was the hardest game of the night though and is a credit to the job manager Frank Darnell has done at Elgin. Berwick started the match brightly though with new signing Graeme Churchill scoring in the 11th minute. Elgin came back into the game though and were the better team for the rest of the 90mins. They just lacked that cutting edge in front of goal though as their strikers missed chance after chance. One of the best performers for Berwick was again newly appointed captain Stuart Anderson, he was excellent in the centre of midfield and has been much better than last season. Mark Innes scored in the last minute which was a cruel blow for Elgin though I'm sure there will be games like this that go their way in the future. 2 wins and a defeat then so an inconsistent start to the season another update tommorow night.

montroseupload4dn.gif

Montrose got off to a bad start in 1st division after the 1-1 draw with st.mirren they took a 4-1 pounding from kilmarnock but bounced back well to beat clyde 2-0 and also gain revenge on kilmarnock beating them 1-0 to put them out the scottish cup icon_biggrin.gif

Montrose have had 2 great things to announce. One of them being the return of jason walker after a 2 month injury nightmare and the other that there fans are going to glasgow to watch there team run out at ibrox against the mighty glasgow rangers.

thats all folks !

dumbartonupload9nh.gif

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Quick write up on last nights games.

The Bad Home V Berwick. Lost 3-1

AThe Ugly After taking a early league through Russell we then gave a shocking performance to contrive to concede 3 first half goal. We were demoralised and the team gave one of their most lack lustre displays in Paul Brownleys managership. It was BAD.

The Good Home V Ayr Won 3-0

Top performance against the team who were top of the league. The game was settled early and it put us into 3rd in the league with six points out of a possible nine. This was good.

The Ugly Away V Queens Park Drew 1-1

Queens Park having three players sent off the week before continued in the same vein has Tracy Watson sent her team out to kick us. 3 yellow cards early on set the tone but Dumbarton took a 1-0 lead. Queens Park came strong at the end of the first half but after the break they had a player sent off and the game looked won. However as the bruises stacked up Dirty Queens Park equalised and Dumbarton were left battered in what must have been an X Rated match. This was UGLY.

elginbanner8za.gif

Hi there

Next league game was home against Queens Park. We had lost to them a couple of weeks ago in the cup, when they out bullied us on some parts of the park. Made 8 changes from the team that was beaten by Airdrie. Hardest one was to drop McGrady for young Hutchins on the left wing. Went for Hutchins in the end, even though I was a bit worried about the very physical side of Queens Park game, thought they might be a bit on the slow side at the back and the pace of Hutchins might help us. The 1st half wasn’t the best game off football I had seen; Fox cracked it against our woodwork, with a diving header. Then there physical side came out and young Hutchins was taken out by Lauchlan's challenge and had to replace him with Ross Beattie.

Just after half time Miller .put the ball into the six yard box, Billy Gibson was clean through with just the goalie to beat and scored for Queens Park. We had a corner late on, but there keeper Gibbons did brilliantly to turn the ball over the top, from a powerful header from Neil Stephen. Soon after we caught them out on the counter, Ross Beattie got clean through on goal, Gibbons did well to turn the ball away. But in the end Queens Park were just too strong for us and won 1-0.

East Stirling away next and fancied to nick something here. Was forced into the change of Hutchins who was going to be out for about 3 weeks, with McGrady. Also brought back Steven Hutchison who had taken a little knock in training to hold up the midfield, and Lennox up front the place were it was happening for me. What happened at the start off this match still gets to me, they had a throw on halfway inside our half , the ball was thrown into our box , and this is the bit that gets me, for some unknown reason Sobihy decides to handled the ball, WHY ! NO ONE near him, all he had to do was hoof it out, row Z what ever. Well Moffat scored from the pen. After that East Stirling really did come at us, if it wasn’t for Gary McLenaghan in goal who pulled off some fine saves, we could have been going in at half – time 2 or 3 down.

Had a good talking to the lads we needed to get in behind then. 60th min Tommy Anyuro played the ball forward, it was tight but Anton Lennox just beat the offside trap and was clear, he still had a lot to do but he took it well. Hmm could he be the answer to my centre forward problem 1-1. Simon Sobihy took a knock and was just getting ready to bring on Tulloch for him, MacDonald lofted the ball 30 yards upfield, Brazilfound himself some space out on the left, he crossed the ball he told us later it was a shot but somehow it went in. 2-1 up, 2 goals in 5 mins. Well they came back at us and with 10 mins to go they draw leval with a well taken goal by Carroll 2-2. They came again Gary McLenaghan pulled off a fantastic save from Barr, in the end was glad to here that whistle. They were the better team.

elginbanner8za.gif

Hi there

Berwick away next. Another I fancied if we got the rub off the green we could get something outta this. Replaced injuired Simon Sobihy with Bain at centreback. 10 mins in, Derek Anderson found himself some space down our right flank, he crossed the ball for an unmarked Graeme Churchill to head home, 1-0 down. How there wasn’t another goal in this half I don’t know with both keepers pulling off fine saves.

I was gutted when there 2nd went in, we played so well in the 2nd half and got nothing out of it, because of bad finnihing or fine saves from there keeper Greg Kelly. Mark Innes beat Wayne Finnie in the air to head home against the run off play. Thought a draw wound been a fair result , but Berwick took their chances and we never.

For an alternative view on this match see DM’s post above

Well drop from 4th to 7th in the league, hopefully can take something away from the way we played at Berwick , and just get that little bit off luck in front off goal.

queensupload6vf.gif

Although I took over in March this is my first write up as I have been way too busy thinking tactics and scouting players. I have no scouts and theres none available so I do the donkey work myself.

There has been a busload of players brought in at the begining of the season with nobody exceptionally good, most of them are passable for the 3rd divison though.

Played a few friendlies to get the legs loosened off and made some good progress there. Even though we never won any of them.

After losing all our friendlies it was time to turn the tide and we started well by putting Elgin out the Challenge cup.

Next followed a thorugh gubbing from Raith and we made a sharp exit from the League cup. They beat us 4-0 and I dont think we even got in their half of the park.

The league campaign was next up and we made a great start by getting a win in my first match of the season.

The following week it seemed the lads had a taste of winning and we beat Elgin 1-0 but we were very fortunate not to draw as it was a very boring game.

Dont know what happened at the next game against Alloa but the ref was stuck on repeat and sent 2 of my players off in the first 20 mins. At this point I was fully expecting a doing. But we held out until after half time when the ref blew the whistle again and ordered another of my players off. But the team what was left of it pulled together and we managed a draw.

Next up was Dumbarton Ballet Club. Oops sorry football club. Yet another player sent off meant yet another desperate draw. I wonder what all these teams will do if I manage to keep all 11 players on the park. That is my objective for the next few matches, to keep all 11 on the field and rack up some wins rather than draws.

Sitting not too bad in 2nd place I will update you shortly on how I go in my challenge.

Archived