Ric's Sunday night scots clan

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EAST FIFE SECOND DIVSISON

with promotion my teams morale is high and we have made a good start 2 wins and a draw. we are currently lying in 3rd place. gary arbuckle was sold to dundee for just over 1 million so i have a war chest but the problem i have is attracting players. however some signings are on the horizon. we are in no disslusion that this year is going to be hard work but i feel a play off place is in our capabilities. i currently on the lookout for a new midfileder, defender and striker along with a keeper. as we are needing some depth after contract expired at the end of the season. we made an excellent sigining in dundee defender calum mcdonald. has good experience so should fit in well. a player to watch out for is morais a new AMR signed on a pre conract agreement during the summer from Hibs has already scored and set up goals in our last match.

Hi there

Just a little write up about the ongoings at Elgin Football Club

Going to fast forward a bit as I was lagging behind in my post.

Well I reflected on last season. Wasn’t the best and on the pitch we were very bad. Of the pitch money wise, this club was 150k in debt have somehow got that down to 100k, which the board are very happy about. The board has been brilliant in letting me rebuild the team as I see fit, and haven’t had to sale anyone, but still lacking funds. Have brought in about 20 players most of them youth players, because I think this is the only way forward at this club. Some are now ready for some first team action and some still have a little way to go, but the coaching staff has been doing a very good job.

I did let 9 players go on a free transfer, and two left to join other clubs Cmmings a Centre back and Muir a midfielder, this didn’t worry me as they wasn’t in my plans anyway and helped with the wage bill. One thing that didn’t help last season when we started to win a couple of games, we seemed to pick up injuries to key players like Jamie McKenzie , Iain Vigurs , Fraser Bremner and Paul Kaczan , which didn’t help as these were the backbone to my team. Hopefully we can avoid these sort of injuries because I need the likes of these players playing to help youngsters when times get tough.

We didn’t have a very good pre season on the pitch, losing all 4 preseason friendly, but again I have to look at the money side of it. All 4 games were at home and against bigger clubs, Dundee lost 1-0, St Mirren Lost 3-1, Dundee Utd lost 2-0 and Falkick lost 4-0. First game off the season was against newly relegated Albion Rovers away. They played well in the 1st half and was the better team going in with a 2-0 lead. I had a good chat with the lads didn’t lose my rag, it nearly paid off. We pulled one back, but we had loads of chances and knocked the ball about well, I think a draw would off been a fair result but it wasn’t to be.

Next up was Hamilton away in the league cup. Didn’t fancy our chances in this and actually played a weaken team, bring in a few youngest and resting a few players, in this midweek team. We lost 5-0, they were the better team but the score flatten them some what. One thing annoyed me more was the press. Had signed a young winger Stuart McGnaly , who can play left or right and I fancy him to do something for us this season. This was his debut and the press were question me signing him and his performance. I had no problem telling them were to get off and stuck to my guns, “This kid has a bright future at Elgin, wait and seeâ€.

Saturdays games was Cowdenbeath at home. The team that finished one place above me, but also 28 pts more. Brought some off the more experience players back for this game and was going to really have a go at them. 10 minutes gone and the idiot of a referee gives them a pen, “What the f~&^% he meant to do when some whacks a ball at him from ten yards†still got to answers to the SFA about that comment, when the 4th official reported me. So 1-0 down, could believe how we dominated the 1st half with out scoring. They caught us on the counter in the second half to go 2-0 down. We pulled one back but it wasn’t enough. They had 2 shots on target, one was a pen and scored both and there keeper gets man of the match.

Queens Park next at home, couldn’t believe it they scored with there 1st attack within 9 minutes. Wayne Finnie got above Main to clear the ball, Baird beat Nelson to the ball, Andy Baird's made a fine pass picked up to Bannerman , who had lost his man and found himself with plenty of room, Bannerman unleashed a volley at goal, Robbie Logic had no chance. Again we over ran the opposition and still couldn’t score, and there keeper and defence having a blinding. Chris Gardiner had 5 attempts and not one on target, forward line wasn’t doing its job, and letting the rest off the team down who to be honest with ya were playing well.

Ps like to thank everyone who voted for me and just to say keep it up, enjoying the sessions with ya.

Cheers Holo

Next game was away to Berwick decided to make a few changes. Brought in Patterson for Paul Kaczan at centre back, Dempsie for Finnie at right back, and Youngson for McGrady who was looking a bit tired. Felt I had a better squad than last year and could rest some players as I did have cover in some areas now. Decide to leave the front two the same, the chance were coming although they wasn’t taking them, though I would give them another go at it.

3 minutes gone they had a free kick in there own half, Robertson lofted the ball 30 yards upfield, Patterson won the aerial challenge against Iain Chisholm and headed clear, Bobby Hassell fed another high ball forward, Derek Anderson found himself some space and scored. 1-0 down after 3 minutes not good. After some good play between Woods and Youngson , Youngson cross the ball into there area and picks out Chris Gardiner, who turns and shots, yes get in there my son, about bloody time 1-1. Both teams had chances, but the keepers were pulling off some good saves. Then in injury time of the first half, Chris Gardiner looked certain to score! Kelly did well to turn the ball away, Robertson put the ball behind corner to us. Vigurs stepped up and drifted the corner in, Stuart Anderson cleared the ball, Berwick tried to launch a counter attack, Innes broke the offside trap and was clean through on goal, Dempsie done brilliant to tackle him and get the ball, he then played the ball forward towards Chris Gardiner, who had beaten the off side trap for once, Robertson there Centre started to pull at his shirt, freekick, and he sent Robertson professional foul!!. That’s handy I thought.

Playing 10 men now, 5 mins into the 2nd half, Fraser Bremner centered the ball from the right wing, Chris Gardiner swiveled on the ball, struck from a narrow angle Kelly did well to parry it but Woods pounced on the rebound and had a nice little tap in 2-1. Not only that but both strikers scoring first goals of the seasons. We had more chances nearest being Vigurs when he hit the post with a free kick. Then with about 10 mins to go, Fraser Bremner picked out Nelson with a lovely pass, Nelson brought the ball forward, Stuart McLean fouls Nelson by holding onto his shirt, free kick , sent Stuart McLean professional foul!! So now Berwick down to 9.

Was screaming to the lads nothing stupid you got this in the bag. Then Fraser Bremner went in for a 50 -50 but left a leg behind, aarr he already been booked in the first half, 2nd yellow. Could see all the players looking at me, and had that daft twit of a 4th official telling me to step back, they were getting nervous out there “ Woodsy, drop back a bit, leave Chris up there on his own, 5 minutes left if thatâ€.

Reynolds pumped the ball forward, it went straight over Dempsie , who had been playing well but was knackered now, MacAdam latched onto to it and crossed into our area, Simpson got on the end of it, next it was in the back of the net. FECK, FECK FECK, couldn’t believe it, as I turned around and kicked the dug out, “not given it, offside†I heard someone say. YES, blow ref, and he did after the free kick. Phew it wasn’t pretty but a wins a win.

Cheers Holo icon14.gificon14.gif

EAST FIFE

last night saw the close of the transfer window.

last minute signings include arron conway on loan from stenny and half of arbroaths first team lol. signed their 18 year old legend of a keeper, dont know how anyone else didnt try quaility signing at 4K aswell as mckenna who had been in the reserves despite good stats. some more attacking options gave my team a fresh look and it showed in the games last night. we have only had one loss to brechin. we dominated but could not finish and despite winning the next game finishing looked our weakness hence the signings. defence is looking good anderson playing well and new signing matty flynn adds great versitility to our team. finally swiggy wont get the hint and p**s off he even acepted a fine for no reason the tit. get in the under 19's squad. on that note i have to give a big well done to martyn mcdonald who is playing excellent. jaime adams shut your pie hole and wait for a game..

til next time!

Hi there

The lads sprite were up after the win at Berwick , we had a midweek cup game at Forfar . Vigurs had picked up another knock, he was a good player but did pick up some injuries, had to replace him with Read a young left back who hadn’t really proved it to me yet. Fraser Bremner was suspended so brought back McGrady who could play on either flank. Also decide to give Naisbitt a turn in goal a free signing last year, a sort off panic buy when I had 3 keepers out, didn’t really buy him for any long term thing, but he had been playing well for the reserves and drop Robbie Logie the young signing from East Fife was looking a bit jaded. Forfar where the better team in the first half and had a hat full of chances but the defence and Naisbitt. 5 mins to go Dickson did well to avert the danger, McKenzie collected the ball and moved forward with the ball, then curled it in to the near post, On the volley, Stuart Irons shot, right footed, towards goal. Naisbitt pulled off another couple of fine saves before Halftime and was glad to go in only 1-0 down.

Well we came out all guns blazing in the 2nd half, won a corner straight from the kick off, McGrady went across and took the corner, Liam Patterson met the ball with a diving header, the header hit the upright and rebounded away, Chris Gardiner was the first to react, had the goal at his mercy! 1-1 get in there, am I glad I never dropped him now.

Then from the kick off Youngson got the ball out on the left and centre it just outside there area, there keeper came out and made a complete hash off it, Chris Gardiner was free again with the goal at him mercy 2-1 to the Badgers, he had scored twice in 3 minutes. The 2nd half had only just started. They came back at us, but there was a sort off belief in my team which I hadn’t seen for a long time. We started to have our own chances as well. Woods span with the ball expertly, and played the ball left to Youngson’s feet, Youngson came forward, Forfar were inviting Youngson onto them, he put the ball into the six yard box, Stuart McGrady met the ball with a left footed volley, and SCORED FOR ELGIN!! His first ever goal for Elgin 3-1, McGrady and Youngson were playing brilliant, Forfar were struggling with the two young wingers. Game ended 3-1. That 2nd half was the best I had seen the lads play. Over the moon with Chris Gardiner 3 goals in 2 games, to think I was going to drop him. McGrady and Youngson the two younger wingers, they may not play every game for me at the moment but its something I can use, to think the press gave McGrady a slating on his debut. Also was pleased Naisbitt in goal good to have competition for places at last. But the unsung hero was the big centre back Liam Patterson who had started to come off age hopefully he can keep it up.

Cheers Holo

ill try get the rest done tomorrow starting with rics redo then on to muck's and so on. ill leave the new guys just now untill they are proven showers.

no offence guys only waiting because wev had guys come in and there only there for 2 sessions and never appear again there for pointless me makin banners. But no worrys you'll get one:P

elginbanner5be.png

Hi there

Had a offer for Vigurs from Peterhead divided to take it, 8k in cash, with a sell on clause. He is a good player, but was picking up to many injuries for my liking so decided to cash in. Next up was home to East Stirling , made one change from the midweek game. Brought back Fraser Bremner who was suspended for McGrady who was on the bench. We both had chances in the 1st half but went in 0-0. After 50 min Campbell got past Read too easily for my liking, played a long ball towards our area, Carroll got up above Hugh Dickson and scored with a header.1-0 down. The team didn’t lay down like I have seen them do in the past and 5 minutes later Chris Gardiner won the ball in there area, knocked it back to Booth , who played a lovely ball for Woodsl who scored. 1-1 we could of nicked it in the last minute, sub and new signing, Bathgate had only the keeper to beat, but the keeper saved it. Move up one place in the table first time we had been off the bottom for a very long time. Things may well be on the up.

Cheers Holo

ricsbanner3yi.png

Stenny are of to a slow start after last season playoff defeat to Raith in the Semi final. although to be honest i dint think i would go up as i expected to lose to St mirren in final shock was the fact that Queen of the south who i beat just before the end of season 7-2 put St mirren out so maybe if i had just beat Raith....

This Season will be a bit more intresting with both Ross and Mcd in the 2nd now player wise there has been a few coming and goings but i still am holding on to nish despite 5 different clubs offering around the 1m mark

Archived