Target man, Playmaker and Free Role

With regards to the idea of a target man being a non-CF, I tried using an AML with farrows as a TM with the ball played to his feet. My formation was a chelsea-esq 4-3-3 with one CF and two wingers.

Although I couldn't call the results consistent, it did allow me to utilise a strong winger and focus my passing down one side of the pitch. It also resulted in crosses being pinged over for my CF and AMR to latch on to.

Although the results weren't amazing, they still seemed ok and have convinced me that A TM does not need to be a CF.

It should also be noted that I realised this tactic could work from watching professional football. Earlier in the season, Brighton utilised their target man as a Right Winger who could then lay the ball back to the FB or midfield, lay it on for the CF or try and cross the ball in.

A think a usefull tip when utilising a playmaker is that you should have team tempoon normal so he get's to dictate it. If you have your team tempo on either slow or quick then what's the point of a playmaker if you've already set the tempo. I use a playmaker when I start matches against opposition I know I can win against with short/normal passing/tempo. However if I'm chasing a goal I go quicker and untick playmaker seeing as I just want to get the ball forward and not always through my playmaker. Same thing if I'm playing against better opposition or when I want to defend a lead with slow tempo, I don't set a playmaker seeing as the team as a whole will be building up slowly anyway.

So...........one thing that is puzzling me.

I have always assumed that in your playmaker and target man lists, the top player will take up that role, Any other players you have in the list will only be used when the number 1 player is not in the team-much like with the free kick or penalty list.

However, after reading this I am confused. If you have, say 3 playmakers ticked, will your team look to give the ball to all 3 of them but in order of preference (ie playmaker 1, playmaker 2 etc) or rather than just the main one? Anybody have some conclusive eveidence on this?

Thanks.

This is from game hints:

When viewing your tactics screen you can set up a priority order of playmakers by selecting 'Instructions' -> 'Playmakers' from the squad panel and dragging players onto the list.

So I'm guessing it is as you say, when the first player on list is not in game the next one is used. Cannot confirm it though.

Originally posted by lequack:

With regards to the idea of a target man being a non-CF, I tried using an AML with farrows as a TM with the ball played to his feet. My formation was a chelsea-esq 4-3-3 with one CF and two wingers.

Although I couldn't call the results consistent, it did allow me to utilise a strong winger and focus my passing down one side of the pitch. It also resulted in crosses being pinged over for my CF and AMR to latch on to.

Although the results weren't amazing, they still seemed ok and have convinced me that A TM does not need to be a CF.

It should also be noted that I realised this tactic could work from watching professional football. Earlier in the season, Brighton utilised their target man as a Right Winger who could then lay the ball back to the FB or midfield, lay it on for the CF or try and cross the ball in.

For my Barca 4-3-3, what works extremely well is to set your targetmen to the midfielders (Iniesta, Deco, Xavi) and have them dictate play and create. Make sure to feed the ball to their feet or have them run onto the ball if you're playing really quickly. Those three will make sure the ball gets distributed wisely to Ronaldinho, Messi, and Eto'o.

I'm sure this philosophy can be adapted to other formations and other teams that have really strong creative midfields.

I almost never have to play with the playmaker box checked this way, unless my opponent really closes down on the midfield and wins the battle there. In which case I use Ronaldinho as playmaker and free role him.

• 1 year later...

Interesting ...

There is a hidden Free Role attribute as well ... how much of an impact does that have on the freeroll performance?

Does that mean that a player without the Free Role attribute (which is hidden anyway) won't perform properly?

Somehow i never got the free role setting working properly.

i have 2006 and it is the first fm game i have had. i have never used a free role player or target man, im going to consider incorparting both into my tactic though i have only played 3 seasons and done well i probably have two players ideal for the jobs so i might try experimenting.

Guest cesc-da-best2007

Can someone give me hints on how to use Fabregas in Centre Midfield. He is doing ok, but not to his standards in my previous Arsenal File.

Archived