Merging databases - a bad idea?

Mr Mikey787878

h all,

I'm hoping to merge FuryG's african database with the one released by Ron(i think apologies if wrong credit given) creating tiers 7 and 8 of english lower leagues.

But i read a thread (advanced db editting thread i think) warning against merging databasesxml files.

However was reassured by reading the african thread that the probs arise when you get overlaps. And as the african db creates 5000 extra players playing in africa that don't currently exist, and touches nothing existing in the game, merging it with such a different db should be ok?

Any advice/help much appreciated - have never done any of this merging business before.........

cheers

mike

Bugger

actually thinking about it - wouldn't it overlap the basic db stuff shipped with the game? ie/the new african players wouldn't overlap with anything in the english tier 7 and 8 aspect of that database BUT the basic db they are built on would oerlap with each other and create duplicates eg i'd have two Manchester United (or none (yay) as game would/could crash?)

very confused!

Merging can overlap some added UID's specially players, media, awards and created competitions. Original database will not be overlap but created ones are risk of overlapping. Because of this reccomended usage is separate league files and player files. And of course All custom leagues are separate files. Using multiple xml's normally not have problems. Merging is overdoing.

Thanks huys:

i'm being ambitious now i want to:

-load the african mega players xml

-load the japanese div1&2 players xml

-load many (prob around 20) of the african leagues i found via FuryG's thread

-load the japanese leages from enzo86's thread

-load the english lower leagues tiers7 and 8 update

AND edit the db using editor to make my own changes.

Would i be right in thinking that to do this without errors i need to:

1)merge the two xml player files above (eg african and japanese into one)?

2)backup and edit one of the above xml files as my master copy for all my changes (prob the eng leagues tier 7 and 8 xml

3)load game and select to load the following xmls:

-merged japanese & african player xml

-the 20 seperate african league xmls

-japanese eagues xml

-my editted eng lague 7 and 8 xmls?

and....fingers crossed.....I should have an error free lift off?

Any guidance much appreciated - thanks,

Mike

Thanks huys:

i'm being ambitious now i want to:

-load the african mega players xml

-load the japanese div1&2 players xml

-load many (prob around 20) of the african leagues i found via FuryG's thread

-load the japanese leages from enzo86's thread

-load the english lower leagues tiers7 and 8 update

AND edit the db using editor to make my own changes.

Would i be right in thinking that to do this without errors i need to:

1)merge the two xml player files above (eg african and japanese into one)?

2)backup and edit one of the above xml files as my master copy for all my changes (prob the eng leagues tier 7 and 8 xml

3)load game and select to load the following xmls:

-merged japanese & african player xml

-the 20 seperate african league xmls

-japanese eagues xml

-my editted eng lague 7 and 8 xmls?

and....fingers crossed.....I should have an error free lift off?

Any guidance much appreciated - thanks,

Mike

There's no need to edit the eng league xml, unless you want to edit clubs or players that only present there and not in the default db. If this is not the case, you can just make your changes on the default db and save them as a disitnct xml which then has to be loaded alongside the other xmls.

Sorry - another question

How do I ensure that the game doesn't duplicate ID numbers when loading multiple xmls with new clubs etc? eg how do i know whether it has given an id no to a tier 7 english club and then creates the same id number for a japanese div 2 club?

does it do this automatically?

And will the id numbers assigned vary each time i load? (am thinking of assigning kits/logos etc)

thanks

m

The game handles this automatically! That means that the IDs that you will see in the game will deviate from the IDs written in the XML for many objects since the ID was found to be allready there. The same happens when you merge the two player updates: the players from the file that you loaded initially will keep their IDs, while the players from the file which you merge into this one will get higher IDs.

Archived