Tina's Super Saints of Paisley

HorusFM

Valter nodded and did as instructed. Immobile stripped down and stood by waiting for the order to go no. As Edixon came off, he looked notably disappointed, but could understand the decision. He had a slight limp that worried Tina.

The match just looks dire, even more so after the Perea incident. The lack of incentive if plainly obvious for all to see. St Mirren do have some chances though, the lack of force to take them annoying all. A great cross from Vaz Te into the centre finds Fernandes and Brandy, but neither even bother jumping for the ball. Caiaffa pumps the ball back in, but Fernandes hits another shot into the side netting. A complete waste.

Pedro Henriques, despite being under immense criticism for the whole match, gets a chorus of jeers and cheers from all corners of the stadium when he finally books a player. Volkov goes into his yellow book for bringing down Immobile. For all the plugging that the St Mirren managed, they EVENTUALLY grab that elusive goal.

A terrific hold up of play by Brandy allows Caiaffa to make the run forward and take the ball from him. As Brandy kept the defenders occupied, Dorman broke behind and Caiaffa looped a lovely ball over the top for him, the midfielder smashing a low shot past Djachenko to send the Scottish side into the lead. It’s an excellent goal, one totally not deserving of a place in this awful match.

Tom, you’re coming on. Go get ready,” said Tina, more relaxed now that her side was in front. Tom Brighton would come on to replace the tired looking Vaz Te. An offside raised against Makarenko allows Brighton to come on for the winger.

The change has little impact on the game though especially as the clock counts down with haste. The fourth official presents just two extra minutes, though this doesn’t stop Dacia pushing for a consolation equaliser. Hang, coming in from the right, bends a shot goalwards, but it goes just over Degre’s goal. It was a valiant effort.

One last push forwards ends with Makarenko clearing away Caiaffa’s cross. Henriques blows his whistle just over the two minute line bringing an end to a dull game. Dacia did the job they set out to do in frustrating St Mirren. As Henriques and his assistants shake hands, Henriques has a word with the fourth official. He looks in Tina’s direction before heading over.

“I hear from my assistant that you were an absolute pain in the backside on the sidelines. Cut it out next time, Tina. I won’t hesitate to send you off.

Tina threw a look of disgust his way, “I have every right,” she muttered before heading off down the tunnel.

It wasn't pretty and it wasn't sublime. But it was a hard, hard earned win.

Dacia Chisinau 0

St Mirren 1 (Dorman (1st) 81)

Attendance; 1,061

MOTM; Andy Dorman

St Mirren progress 5-0 on aggregate to play PSV Eindhoven.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got that right, Entombed!

Thursday 23rd July 2009

The immediate trip home after the Dacia match was less than pleasurable. The plane from London to Glasgow was delayed, and that itself stressed Tina. As they finally landed in Scotland, she couldn’t wait to get off the plane. The bus to Paisley was preparing to set off, but Tina was waiting for Cassie. She had agreed to pick her up before Tina had left, but as the plane had got delayed, she wasn’t there. Tina had tried calling, but her mobile was turned off.

Valter walked across to Tina in the car park, “We’re leaving soon, Tina. Cassie isn’t here, and I’m not leaving you in Glasgow late at night on your own. So get your backside on the bus.

He spoke with humour, but there was a strain of worry and angst among its tone. He meant well, but he didn’t know how disappointed Tina felt. Reluctantly, she agreed.

Alright, I’m coming,” she murmured before wheeling her case across to the St Mirren bus. Valter stowed it in the luggage compartment before embarking on. Tina was silent the whole drive home. She could sense that something was seriously wrong with Cassie. She never broke a promise and she never turned her phone off.

Care to talk, Tina?” asked Valter, worried about his dear friend.

I’m fine, Valter. Honestly, you don’t need to worry about me.

Well I do, and I will. You’re a great friend and I have every right to worry about you.

On this occasion, you don’t need to,” replied Tina before turning to stare out of the window. Valter accepted defeat, knowing better than to argue with Tina.

As they got back to Paisley, there was an air of silence in the bus. Tina’s mood had seeped into everyone’s mindset, and as such, the long journey had made everyone grumpy. The only person that even made a noise was the driver as he sang along to Michael Jackson’s Beat It, albeit badly. The bus pulled into the car park and despite Tina leaving a message with Cassie that this is where they would be, she once again wasn’t here. Valter spotted this, “Do you want a lift home, Tina? The wife wouldn’t mind me dropping you off.

Tina shook her head, “I’ll be fine walking. It isn’t far anyway. Thank you though.

Valter nodded and smiled, “Stay safe and I’ll see you on Saturday.

As he drove off, Tina extended the handle on her luggage and set off home. The walk home should only have taken ten minutes, but Tina was dragging herself along. She wasn’t angry with Cassie, not at all. She was just disappointed that she didn’t let her know that she wouldn’t be there. Being told is better than not knowing why at all. Tina sank into the chair and picked up the newspaper she had not bothered reading on the way home. She turned for the results at the back end of the paper.

She was surprised to learn that Derry City had crashed out to Icelandic side KR as they overturned the 1-0 deficit from the first leg. St Pats Athletic had no problem in dispatching Juvenes Dogana, the 3-0 win at home followed by the scoreline away. Liechtenstein’s Vaduz finished off the job against Bangor City, the same scores as the St Pats games. Motherwell shockingly got held by a determined Qarabag Agdam side on their home turf, 1-1 the score to add to the Scottish sides 2-0 victory over the Azerbaijani outfit. Distillery were unable to make ground on Serbia’s Sevojno, the Irish side falling by just a 1-0 scoreline. Crusaders were than taught a lesson by Sigma Olomouc on their home turf, making the lesson of ‘don’t concede any away goals’ even more bitter to swallow. The 3-1 defeat at Crusaders gave Sigma a way in, and an accomplished 2-0 win at home saw them sail through. So the Home Nations left in the next round and their respective ties are;

Aberdeen vs. Maccabi Netanya

Sevojno vs. Fulham

PSV vs. St Mirren

Austria Wien vs. St Pats Athletic

Motherwell vs. Roma

Tina sighed to herself. St Mirren and Motherwell would almost certainly be crashing out, or at least expected, to their respective opponents. PSV and Roma were bloody tough sides, but Motherwell had it much harder. Aberdeen were bloody lucky, but may still slip up with even Maccabi Netanya. To make it more interesting, the St Mirren and PSV first leg would be televised. The SkySports cameras wouldn’t help her side, that’s for sure.

Tina threw the paper down and rubbed her eyes. She was dead tired, hungry, and in desperate need of a drink. She clambered up and poured herself a glass of whiskey from the drinks cupboard. She put in on the table before lying on the sofa next to it. She pulled out her phone. 0 Missed Calls or Messages. She sighed and put her head on the sofa cushion.

The whiskey was still there in the morning.

Same here Entombed.

Tina had fallen asleep very early in the evening, but something told her that she would end up getting woken by Cassie at some point during the night. And she did. Half past three in the morning. Cassie stumbled through the door, extremely drunk by the sounds of it. Tina could hear her from upstairs and made her way down in a nightgown. Tina was right; she was wasted.

Good job I didn’t stand waiting in Glasgow for you,” muttered Tina as she perched against the doorframe from the stairs. Cassie threw a drunken quizzical look her way before slouching onto the sofa.

I’m not your keeper,” murmured Cassie, “You’re a big girl and can cope with things, you know?

Not even a call, Cassie. I wouldn’t have minded but you made sod all effort to let me know. Thanks a lot for that.

Cassie made no attempt to reply; she just got undressed in the living room. “I take it I’ll be sleeping in here tonight then?

Tina was furious with her, and she made it known as Cassie tried to take her shoes off. “What is your bloody problem, Cassie? I don’t hear a word from you all night. I know you aren’t working, you don’t have your phone with you and you didn’t even leave a note to let me know.

Cassie finally took the shoe off, but in anger threw it towards the kitchen wall. “I’ve had a bad few days, alright?! What’s it to you?” she said, before spotting Tina’s glass of whiskey still on the table, “You jet off to Moldova, of all stupid places, when I could have done with you most.

Tina was really confused, “Needed help with what? Do you have any idea what you’re even talking about?

Don’t try and shift this onto me; it’s your fault you vanished abroad.

It’s my job!” yelled Tina. She stormed across the room to stand behind the sofa. Tina felt upset for arguing with Cassie, especially when drunk. Her mind wasn’t all there and that made it unfair on her. But as the saying goes; your drunken ramblings are your true feelings.

Cassie was about to drink the whiskey but Tina took it off her, and swallowed it herself. “Get some sleep, Cassie. I sincerely hope you have a hangover in the morning and don’t remember any of this,” muttered Tina as she made her way back up the stairs. “And yes, you will be sleeping down here.

It didn’t matter to Cassie as she had already passed out asleep.

Friday 24th July 2009

As Tina got up for work, Cassie was in the bathroom throwing up the contents of her night out. Tina avoided the bathroom and made her way downstairs. She had no sympathy, and was happy for the punishment she was now receiving. “That’ll teach you,” she murmured before picking up her car keys. Not a word was spoken between the pair, showing to Tina that Cassie did remember some of last night. It would have to wait until later now.

Tina had an important decision to relay today. She had promised to name her new captain, and many of the players were waiting to hear. It hadn’t been a hard decision for her, with only two real stand out captain candidates. Hugh Murray was a veteran with the club and loyal to everything Buddie-like, and Paul Wotton was as English as hard centre backs can be. She called the pair into her office, watching as Stuart Balmer lurked outside.

I’ve decided to make you captain,” she said, looking at Paul Wotton. “You are an experienced figurehead who can help show the young kids the way forward. Hugh, I’m making you the vice-captain. I hope you’re not disappointed.

Hugh shook his head, “Not at all, gaffer. Me and Paul will ensure we do everything we can to lead the boys this season,” he said before smiling, “This also means I’ll lead the side out against PSV, doesn’t it?

Paul frowned, “Sadly, yes. Now shut up.

Excellent,” he replied before making his excuses to lead. Paul smiled before following too. With that out of the way, Tina relaxed. There was then a call from Ayr’s manager Brian Reid. He was enquiring as to the availability of Tina’s striker/winger Paul Quinn. He wouldn’t be seeing first team action this season, so it was only wise to let him join Ayr for six months on loan. He’s one to keep an eye on though, as Burnley and Q.P.R. have been keeping tabs on him. Ayr offered to pay all of his £150 a week wages, so it was an all round winning situation. Gilmour will be happy to have some leeway on the budget.

After all the travelling Tina and her side had done, she was now feeling the downside. She was extremely tired and with a game tomorrow hosting Premier League side Wigan in a friendly, she needed to be on top of her game. That meant picking the team now, and not having to worry about such things tomorrow. Sadly the friendlies against Leeds United and Manchester City needed to be cancelled for the games against PSV Eindhoven that replaced them in the schedule. The big spenders at Eastland’s didn’t seem to care about re-arranging it so the whole thing was cancelled completely. It didn’t shock Tina; after all, why would Man City care about a small time friendly? That did lead to some disappointed fans who had purchased tickets, but Gilmour has promised them a refund or part-exchange towards the PSV home game.

The newspapers today were, for once, fuelled by transfers. Celtic finally acquired a key player, and someone that they had openly been chasing. Felipe Baloy becomes the second new centre back to join the ranks at Celtic Park after the fiasco arrival of Sol Campbell. His transfer fee is reported as a suave £1,800,000, three hundred thousand more than Celtic actually wanted to pay. Tony Mowbray had made it clear to everyone, something Tina picked up on, that defensive acquisitions were his main concern for the start of this season. Baloy is an excellent player and should settle okay here in Scotland.

Celtic weren’t the only side in purchasing action, as Falkirk moved to secure the free signing of Frenchman Flavien Belson. The defensive midfielder spent some of last season with MK Dons after beginning his career in the youth academy of Metz. Today also saw Rangers’ Rory Loy move to Rochdale on a six month loan. The idea is that he gains some valuable experience as his final chance to play for Rangers is approaching. He is twenty one and doesn’t have much time left to make an impact, something Walter Smith believed he would do. Hristo Stoichkov seems less impressed with the forward, so a trip to Rochdale looks like his last port of call before either proving a point or being sold off in January.

It’s still too quiet on the transfer front though, and one wonders what the Glaswegian sides are up to. The fans are getting itchy over it all, something you don’t want from any club more so than one of the Old Firm.

Friday thankfully seemed to pass by for Tina, though that just brought going home even quicker along. She hadn’t heard from Cassie, so she is either fine or back in bed sleeping off the rewards of her night out. Her day would drop down to its lowest level though when Gilmour strolled in.

Tina,” he said with a sour looking expression, “We might have a slight problem.

Sounds about normal,” she said before closing her laptop lid. “What’s up this time?

According to the agents of both Jon McShane and Sean Burns, they have been approached by Peterborough United.

Tina threw a scowl so strong that tigers would have ran away scared. “Would you like to run that past me again?

Dougie Jones represents both boys, and he has been speaking to Peterborough about moves for both of them.

Who the hell gave him permission to do so?

Gilmour just shrugged before handing her the fax he had in his hand, “I’m not sure, Tina. It certainly didn’t come from me and I know what your thoughts are on both players. How do you want to approach the whole thing?

Well they can bloody hell sod off hoping to sign either one of them. Send them a fax back stating exactly what I’ve just said. In fact, I’ll do it. Can you get in touch with Dougie please? I’d like to have a word with him.

Gilmour nodded, “I’ll tell Jackie to get right on it,” he said before just hopping out of Tina’s office. She opened her laptop and sent some emails while thinking things over. Her email to Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson wasn’t the kindest she had written, and she half expected some sort of comeback from Sir Alex, his father. When Gilmour came back in, he was holding two pieces of paper.

This is the contact number for Dougie,” he said as he handed her the first. He hesitated handing the second across and that made Tina frown.

What is it?

A formal request to approach Ally Love.

From who?

Newcastle United.

"Well the day just keeps improving," muttered Tina as she picked up her phone.

Saturday 25th July 2009

Jackie had got in touch with Dougie Jones. According to her secretary, he was more than snappy down the phone at her so Tina couldn’t wait to actually meet him. He would have to hurry up as Tina had a game against Wigan to plan for. Thankfully for her the night had flown by as Cassie was working the night shift, but she awoke to find her partner cuddled into her. She was sorry; Tina could sense that. She would most likely grovel later. As Dougie Jones entered Tina’s office, he had a smile on his face that spoke volumes for his arrogance. He looked like the kind of agent who viewed himself above the clubs that his players played for.

Take a seat please, Dougie,” said Tina with not so much a pleasant expression.

I can only imagine there is a reason you have called me here. I can’t say agents and managers get along very well sometimes.

I get along just fine with agents who don’t cross the line with my players.

Dougie just sat there and absorbed what she said. He made no effort to reply to her last statement, so Tina felt obliged to continue. He looked happy to let her do the talking.

And it seems you have crossed the line, Dougie. So tell me, why are you talking to Peterborough about my two youngsters?

I was given permission to do so. Darren Ferguson expressed an interest, so I opened up lines of communication. It is my job after all to ensure the best deal for my subjects.

Tina’s face went the kind of red you associate with cherryade, “Who on earth gave you permission? I know full well it wasn’t me, and Gilmour assured me it wasn’t him. No-one else on the board did so either, so that leaves no-one with the pulling power to do it without going behind backs. So who was it?

Dougie smiled at Tina. It was a very self-proud smile that reeked of ‘you’ve got the wrong guy’. “I can’t say, Tina. It isn’t in my rights to digress such information. Everything in my job is confidential.

I can understand that. But this information you received wasn’t given to you by someone who had the right to do so. These players aren’t available, so you are not allowed continuing transfer talks with Peterborough.

Tina, do you honestly think Jon and Sean view their future here? They are talented prospects with rather big clubs sniffing around them both. They have every right to want the chance to talk to these clubs.

Is that what you told them?” asked Tina, knowing it wasn’t a philosophy she would instil in her own players. Of course they could have a future here; St Mirren weren’t exactly a non-existent club.

It’s what they know, Tina.

They are on the fringes of first team back-up. We play European football. What exactly did you try to coax them with at Peterborough?

I’m not at liberty to say.

You’re getting on my nerves now. Why don’t you just tell me who gave you the permission to try and sell my players?

Dougie just shook his head. “I think we are done here. I have things to do, so I’ll be on my way. I will not pursue a deal with Peterborough, but if they now make a formal move for the pair, then you can’t hold them back.

When the time comes, I will handle it as I see appropriate. For now though, they are St Mirren players. Whether you like that or not,” she replied before getting up.

I only want the best deals at the best clubs for my players. That’s what I am supposed to do, Tina,” he said before heading to the door.

Tina didn’t shake his hand, “I hope we don’t meet again soon.

We will. And when we do, your players will be moving.

Tina gave him a cold, dead stare. “We shall see.

Mark - Thank you very much, sir. I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you could produce similar stuff :)

St Mirren vs. Wigan Athletic

St Mirren Park

Friendly

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Jack Ross

DL; Ally Love

DC; Paul Wotton

DC; Lee Mair

MC; Brahim Hemdani

MR; Fabrice Fernandes

ML; Ricardo Vaz Te

MC; Edgar Davids

ST; Edixon Perea

ST;Febian Brandy

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, John Potter, Mo Camara, Hugh Murray, Alej Caiaffa, Keaghan Jacobs, Stephen O’Donnell, Tom Brighton, Andy Dorman, Ciro Immobile, Billy Mehmet

BBC Lancashire made Tina’s day worse when they ran a story that reported on an interview with Owen Coyle. He was discussing his transfer policy for the window, and the name of Paul Quinn cropped up. He chose his words well though, and made no attempt to hijack in on the forwards imminent loan to Ayr United. That was admirable, and made Tina slightly happier about the whole thing. The Greenock born lad agreed to his deal with Ayr yesterday night, and the papers were sent through this morning. Gilmour handled it, so it’s now just up to Paul Quinn to get himself on down to Ayr. It capped a great day for him as he was made Scotland U-19 captain by John Connolly.

Paul will do well in Ayr,” said Valter as he strode into the room.

I think so too,” replied Tina.

You’ll need to tell the press something about him though. With Burnley looking at him, you’ll need to counter their story with one of your own.

I know, I know,” said Tina as she finished with the team sheet. “Get this to the players.

As Valter took the sheet, he turned to say something but in the end didn’t. Tina followed him out to go and meet the players for the start of the game. They were in the dressing room waiting for her, Valter having prepped them with the team sheet list. No-one seemed that bothered that they weren’t playing, but the fans would be happy that they could finally see Davids, Hemdani and Wotton in action. St Mirren were yet to concede a goal in this pre-season, but it would have to happen eventually. It was likely to be today with the squad Roberto Martinez has at his disposal, but it didn’t seem to worry Vincent Degre too much.

I’m not expecting you to go out there and trounce a very strong looking Wigan side as that would be unfair. But I do want you to impress me. No place in the side is assured this season, and it will most likely be a merry-go-round for all involved. So go out there, do what you can, and give me a reason to pick you for the PSV Eindhoven match in four days.

And Tina wasn’t half wrong. Martinez had put out a full strength Wigan side in a 4-5-1 formation. There was no sight of his new signing Martin Rowlands, but Mike Pollitt was lining up for a rare appearance in goal. Roberto Martinez himself was a rather suave character. As the two managers shook hands, he kissed Tina’s.

A real pleasure to meet you, Tina Powell,” he said with swagger. He is rather handsome.

You too, Roberto. I see you haven’t taken us for granted today with the side you’ve put out.

I don’t trust you, Tina. I would like to take a win home with me, you know, keep the fans happy.

Tina smiled before making her way to sit between Valter and goalkeeping coach Paul Mathers. He was here to keep an eye on Degre. The home side won the toss, allowing Brandy and Perea to kick the game off. The home fans had turned out in force, which wasn’t a surprise considering the nature of the visitors and the players Tina had chosen to play.

It wasn’t un-normal for Martinez to line up with a 4-5-1. Rodallega lined up against Wotton and Mair on his own, but it would be the battle between the striker and captain that would be interesting. Wigan started the stronger of the two sides, Rodallega holding the ball up to allow Jordi Gomez a shot at Degre’s goal. The Frenchman didn’t need to move, but the incentive was there from Wigan.

It would be the counter from Degre’s goalkick that spurred on the first real chance of the game. A terrific piece of ball winning play by Edgar Davids allowed him to play Brandy down the wing. The striker made the greedy decision to shoot rather than cross, forcing Pollitt into a near post save. Fernandes followed it up with a wayward volley that did nothing to achieve the first goal. Tina didn’t let it get her down; they were, after all, just two minutes into the game.

Wigan didn’t allow themselves to be pushed back by Tina’s side, and came pounding back to Degre’s goal. Ross missed a vital interception that allowed N’Zogbia a dangerous amount of space on the left. He made it to the by-line before crossing into the centre. Mair had failed to pick up on Rodallega, who turned to shoot. His effort was awful as it pinged off his shin and looped over Degre’s bar.

The pace of Rodallega was always going to be an issue, and it proved the talking point twelve minutes in. Jordi Gomez played a simple ball beyond Wotton and Rodallega, the striker beating Wotton for pace easily before reaching Degre. The former Lazio man had no idea what had happened before he was on the floor watching the ball roll past his outstretched leg. It would have been a poor goal to concede had it come in the SPL, but as its Wigan, you can understand why there was no real disappointment within the stadium.

Can't thank you guys enough for the nature of the comments. Welcome to the story, Fergie :thup:

The fact that Tina had chosen to play Ally Love was a decision made to increase his sale portfolio for Newcastle United. If the right offer came in, it would be worth looking at. And the left back did his chances no harm when his long throw in allowed Perea to break down the left. The striker, seemingly in two minds, delayed on crossing or shooting and ended up doing neither. It did earn a corner though. Fernandes sent it over the whole defence, and despite Wotton rising high enough to head it, he missed and it sailed right on over.

Come on,” said Tina sarcastically.

Wigan continued to be the more dominating of the pair, their Premiership quality so evident in every department. A free Koumas header flashed wide which annoyed the hell out of Martinez. Koumas has failed to make a proper impact at Wigan, and he doesn’t do much to help his own chances with misses on that level. St Mirren themselves didn’t look that bad though. A half chance came the way of Perea when Wotton made a powerful kicked clearance up the field. Perea locked shoulders with Emmerson Boyce to chase it down. Despite almost winning the race, Boyce panicked and brought down Perea but no foul was given.

I hope to god that doesn’t occur during the SPL season,” muttered Tina.

Let’s hope the friendlies are the time for referees to iron their own game out,” replied Valter with a smile.

There are times when you feel extremely unlucky in football. It happened to Ricardo Vaz Te as some excellent passing play from St Mirren allowed Davids and Perea to play the former Bolton man in. He flicked a delicious lobbed effort over Pollitt’s head, only to see it rattle off the bar. Perea flicked the rebound past the stranded keeper but before the home crowd could get carried away it was ruled out for offside.

I hope they iron that out too,” mumbled Tina as she took a clipboard off Valter.

As Tina checked out the team instructions on the board, the second Wigan goal took place. It was almost similar to the first, except this time Rodallega burst away from Mair rather than Wotton. Degre came out this time, and despite getting a strong palm on it, the ball bobbled into the net to put Wigan two goals up. Tina said nothing, but Valter knew that the pace of her defence was a worry. Granted, they wouldn’t be facing any real players near the calibre of Rodallega in the SPL, but it was still worrying.

As the fourth official put his board up to indicate one minute, Rodallega broke down the right. He pulled inside before rounding Degre and attempting to slot the ball home. Mair had done justice this time though as he hacked it off the line to keep the score line at 2-0. As the whistle blew, Tina was already making substitutes in her head.

I’m not really sure what I can say to you guys. Wigan are a thoroughly decent outfit, and I honestly think you’ve played fairly well so far today. But I would like to see more from you. The fans would love a goal, and I think we have it in us to grab one even if it is against the run of play. I am going to bring some of you off though to allow others some minutes. Don’t take it too personally,” spoke Tina before handing her list of changes to fourth official as he knocked on the door. Ciro Immobile would be making his appearance in the game replacing Febian Brandy, while Hugh Murray would come on for Fernandes. The only other change would be Mo Camara for Ally Love. The youngster hadn’t done too badly, but Koumas was having a feel day on the right against him. Thankfully Rodallega wouldn’t be making his way back out. That was a slight plus.

The second half didn’t start as vigorously as the first, something the crowd didn’t like to see. Martinez seemed to have changed the way his team lined up, Gomez dropping back from his attacking midfield role to support the defensive midfield trio of Scharner and Diame.

Paul Wotton would anger the home crowd even more, the captain doing little to improve his standing in the game with a rough and silly tackle on young Wigan midfielder James McCarthy. He portrayed his innocence to referee Stevie O’Reilly giving the captain a yellow. He warned him to shut up and thankfully he did so.

Chances for either side are so far between that the game actually bores all involved. To a degree it was poor viewing, especially considering goalkeeping coach Paul Mathers almost fell asleep. The home crowd get on the backs of St Mirren, the travelling Wigan fans mocking their opposites. Edgar Davids picks up a chorus of boos for a similarly poor tackle on Charles N’Zogbia. The former Newcastle winger looked to have milked it, but in all honesty the incentive of the tackle was poor anyway. Davids should know better.

It takes until seventy minutes of game time for the first chance of the half, the home side taking it rather snappily. A corner from Murray found Mair on the edge, and despite turning his marker inside out like a proper striker, Mair seemed to pointlessly kick the ball through the whole crowd for a goal kick. If it was a shot, it sucked. If it was a cross, it sucked even more.

Wigan eventually regained the composure and power they had utilised to great fashion in the first half. A great pass by McCarthy allowed substitute Cho Won-Hee to break past Jack Ross. The full back struggled to get back into the action and Won-Hee broke away. His shot was powerful, but Degre was determined to keep it out and performed a magical double save to keep St Mirren heads high.

As the game headed to its logical Wigan victory conclusion, the visitors made sure they were going to go home with a strong win and a clean sheet. They dominated the play and grabbed their third with minutes left on the clock, a poor clearance by Ross allowing Marlon King time and space to turn in the box and slot home the third and final goal. It was a neat finish from the Jamaican.

The referee signalled to the fourth official as Bramble fouled Perea, the official then motioning for just one extra minute of time. Thankfully for St Mirren and Tina, that would be the minute where they would make the best impact of the whole game. A stray ball from Bramble allowed Perea to break from him, the defender bringing him down with a shirt tug. He escaped a booking but gave away a dangerous freekick. Mo Camara wanted it, and sent it rocketing under the wall to fly past Pollitt and secure some faith for the home fans. A goal was nice, and it took the shine of Martinez’s smile.

As the referee called time on a fairly entertaining game, Martinez came back across to Tina.

You have a well drilled side here Tina,” he said, offering to kiss her hand once more. Tina obliged and nodded.

You too, Roberto. I wish you luck in the Premiership this season. It’ll never be an easy league to manage in.

There is always someone watching you when you manage in the Premiership,” he said with a sly smile before heading off down the tunnel.

As Tina got into the dressing room, the players didn’t look as dejected as she expected. That was a good sign, as they had no reason to feel bad about the game. “It was never going to be easy out there, so we are extremely proud of you. You held your own well enough and it showed great signs for what we can hopefully manage in the league this season. It is only the pre-season, so don’t worry too much about it. Keep your heads down in training and spirits high. We need to be mentally prepared for the PSV game.

PSV. Now that would be a whole different kettle of fish.

St Mirren 1 (Camara 92)

Wigan Athletic 3 (Rodallega 13, 44, King 87)

Attendance; 2,164

MOTM; Hugo Rodallega

Sunday 26th July 2009

There was a lot of transfer talk today. It started with BBC Lancashire fuelling the potential transfer of Paul Quinn to Burnley in January. It seems Owen Coyle really wants to take him to Turf Moor, and he’s making sure everyone knows. Tina did help fuel the chatter though after yesterday’s conference after the Wigan match. She had told them that Paul Quinn was wanted at the club, but every player has their price. It seems that Dougie Jones has been doing exactly what he was told not to. Tina saw why when Gilmour came in to her office with a whole host of fax’s in his hand.

You’re going to be busy today,” he said. “These are all offers for Chris McQuade, Sean Burns and Jon McShane.

Tina almost choked, “Are you having a laugh?

Nope. I have a feeling that McQuade is on his way out anyway. But there are a fair few amount of offers for the other two. Seems you have decisions to make.

Tina sifted through them but didn’t notice Gilmour leave the room. As she put the McQuade ones in separate piles, she did the same for the others. Chris had a very wealthy set of offers and would have a chance to join one of the following; Burton, St Johnstone, Clyde, Exeter, Hereford, Mansfield, Morecambe, Dunfermline, Scunthorpe, QPR, Barnsley or Bury. That’s a nice selection to have for the young guy.

McShane and Burns were a different matter. Dougie had clearly been speaking to other clubs about his two talents, and here they were. McShane had five offers on the table, all for the same value of £375,000. Sunderland, Stoke, Peterborough, QPR and Burnley all made the respective offers. Seems Darren Ferguson didn’t take Tina’s advice either. She then perused through the Sean Burns pile. He had offers from Peterborough, Scunthorpe and Sunderland. Not so many, but good choices still. These are well offered at £240,000.

Tina didn’t know what to do. Something struck Tina though as she sat and thought over her options. There were two Peterborough players she was interested in, and while she hadn’t heard anything back from Jason Talbot, one of them was a left back. His name was Tommy Rowe, and with Darren Ferguson pushing for her players, she felt similarly obliged to do the same back. As she dialled for Peterborough United FC, she felt she now had some leverage.

Peterborough United box office,” said the voice on the other end.

Sorry, I must have dialled the wrong number,” said Tina.

No problem Miss. What were you after?

Darren Ferguson’s office.

Not a problem. I’ll patch you through to his secretary,” said the nice lady before her voice disappeared. Tina briefly spoke with Darren’s secretary before finally hearing his voice.

Tina Powell here,” she said.

I know; my secretary told me. What can I do for you Tina?” said Darren, sounding rather tired.

Well, you clearly disobeyed my wishes by bidding for my players. So you can re-pay me. I want Tommy Rowe.

Darren laughed, “He’s a first teamer. I’m not just going to sell him off on a whim,” he muttered.

Then tell me what you want,” said Tina, eager to finally get her own way on something this week.

Darren went silent for a moment, “I want six hundred and twenty five thousand for him.

Jesus, you don’t want much then.

He’s only just joined the club, Tina. He might not even want to move.

Only the player can decide that for us.

Monday 27th July 2009

Today was a day off before the storm of the upcoming PSV game for St Mirren in Eindhoven. The media had been running a flurry of stories about the history of PSV, their squad now and the chances for both sides in the coming fixture. For Tina the winning of the whole tie would be the home fixture at St Mirren Park a week later, and that was where it would matter. A win in Eindhoven would be terrific for spirits and their chances, but holding them out would be just as beneficial. PSV’s manager Fred Rutten made the unbelievable choice of ditching his best striker in the registration window. Rumours have it that he and the man in question, Danko Lazovic, had a falling out that has seen the strikers chances of playing this season drop significantly. For Tina it just meant one less worry. As did the fact that their key player, Ibrahim Afellay, moved to Juventus just three days ago for a cool £8million transfer fee. One other player who wouldn’t be lining up was part of the story of the week.

Celtic missed out on the signing of Timmy Simons after consistently failing to offer him the wages he desired. It seems that he got bored of negotiations as FC Porto matched the offer and he was gone within the same day. It was a tough break for Mowbray, but it certainly served him right. So PSV were now three key players down and that could only be good for St Mirren.

One other news story was one that was consistently making the newspapers, and as such, the situation would need resolving eventually. Paul Quinn spoke to reporters from the Burnley Express about how flattered he was with reports linking him to the Clarets. He openly stated that he would be foolish for turning down a move to Burnley, and Tina could only agree. He would stand a better chance of making his name down in England; that was for certain.

One transfer had occurred in the SPL since the last update of the situation, and this Hearts were the ones shipping a youngster out on loan. Lithuanian winger Arvydas Novikovas left Hearts to join English Championship side Watford. He is a decent young talent, and if he is unwanted in January could well be worth a cheeky loan bid. It would depend on how Romanov would be feeling at the time, of course.

Despite all this, it was Tina’s day off. Cassie was due home about now, something that would be odd. After their fall out they hadn’t had a conversation, and Tina knew Cassie would be in a grovelling mood. She could tell that from how she cuddled up the other night. Tina was just making a coffee and laughing at the abysmal nature of the stories on Jeremy Kyle. She heard the door open and close and heard Cassie shuffle her way into the kitchen. There was an awkward silence for about a minute as Cassie made herself a coffee.

Can I talk to you, Tina?” she finally asked. She avoided eye contact the whole time.

Feel free. Just be careful about what you wind up saying.”

There is only one thing I can say and that’s sorry.

Tina kept a stern face, “Bloody right you better be sorry.

I truly am Tina. I will explain everything properly another time, but right now, I just need you to know I’m sorry.

Cassie walked over to Tina and hugged her. “You have a hell of a lot of making up to do. I hope you realise that.

Cassie smiled, “I know. And I’m going to start right now. Come into the living room with me.

Tina followed Cassie, and saw a cardboard box sitting on the coffee table. It was weirdly moving ever so slightly, and then a weird noise came from it. It was almost like a cry or a whimper.

What on earth is it?

Cassie smiled, and reached in. She pulled out an adorable little puppy. It was an Alaskan Husky and it was so cute. Tina took it from Cassie and held it in her arms. It was so small in her hands and Tina instantly fell in love with it.

Is it a he or she?

She’s a she. The last owners hadn’t named her, and I thought the pleasure should be given to you.

Are you sure?

Yeah. So go ahead and give our little puppy a name.

Tina looked at the little Husky in her arms, “I think the name Akira suits her.

Thanls Dalbe, but please, stop stealing possible storylines! :D

Tuesday 28th July 2009

Tuesday came around with heightened nerves. The trip to Eindhoven would be happening tomorrow, and the players seemed to be worried as it showed in training. Ally Love looked slightly worried at the thought of a possible line up against Reimond Manco. Thankfully Mo Camara should be fit for that match, so Ally’s thoughts are more concerned on the interest from Newcastle that won’t flutter away. Chris Hughton praised Ally’s performance in his post-match interview after their friendly with Watford, something that perked the defenders ears. He is even more interested in making his name now in the hope of a big move ever so slightly south.

The main event of today was the press conference for the upcoming match. Everyone was looking at it like it was a cup final. It certainly felt that way heading into it.

Janet Corby, The Sunday Mail. According to rumours, you are expected to approach this game with a very defensive approach. Is that how you will play this game?

Tina frowned, “Just because we are on their turf doesn’t mean we will sit back and let them push us all game long. We have a game plan, one I will refrain from sharing in the hope of not giving the opposition an advantage.

Martin Salkeld, SkySports News. There are now an increasing amount of whispers that your side can surprise PSV tomorrow. They have lost key players that would otherwise have caused a whole heap of problems. Do you think you now stand a chance because of this?

I think we have a very good chance. In all honesty, I thought we had a very possible chance of winning before those players left, but now we have that advantage over them.

Janet Corby again. Reports suggest you are interested in bringing Wael Gomaa to the club. Is there any substance to this?

There is interest from our side but right now we need to decide on our team, finances and whether a move for him is the right thing. He’s a top defender, so it’s safe to say that we are definitely monitoring his situation.

The small conference wound up after that question, though a few still attempted to get Tina to answer pointless questions on the way out. As Tina made her way back to her office, she was welcomed by a surprise. Cassie was working today so Akira was with Tina. She was currently in the office in cardboard box, cut out to vaguely resemble a dog’s bed while they got a proper one. The little puppy lovingly greeted Tina as she came in, but got spooked when there was a loud knock on the glass window part of Tina’s office door.

Peterborough full back Tommy Rowe had made the journey up with his dad who was currently serving as his agent. Darren Ferguson had pushed up the deal for Rowe, but Tina was happy to have the chance to speak with him. “Come and have a seat,” said Tina with a smile, motioning to the seats on the other side of her desk. Akira carefully eyed up Tommy Rowe, but realised he posed no threat and settled her head back down on the blankets in her makeshift bed.

We are really happy to have the chance to speak with you, Tina,” said Tommy’s dad and agent. His name was Tim Rowe.

The pleasure is mine, Tim. I really admire you Tommy, and would love to bring you here. Darren agreed a fee so now it is just down to the three of us to achieve a deal we are all happy with.

Tim nodded, “Tommy earns one thousand four hundred a week at Peterborough, so an increase to that would be good. We were thinking of a figure around three thousand a week.

Tina looked to be mulling things over, but she actually wasn’t. Four grand was the figure she thought he’d want so to be lower than that was good news to her. “I can certainly offer you that, Tommy. Of course, there would be the complimentary fees for appearances, goals and a yearly wage rise. But other than that, I’m happy with offering what you want. The contract would last three years.

Tim nodded, “Excellent. Well we will head back down to Peterborough and let you know of our decision. We won’t be rushed into anything, and Darren may yet offer us an improved deal,” said Tim before standing up. He and Tommy offered their hands out, “Speak with you soon, Miss Powell.

With that, the pairing left. Tina felt confident it went okay, but didn’t get the feeling that Tommy was that interested in joining St Mirren. Only time would tell in the end. Akira crept out of her bed and jumped onto Tina’s lap, falling back asleep there as Tina sent some emails. One that caught her attention was one that arrived from scout Jesus Maria Zamora. He had sent his report on PSV, something Tina was eager to look at. It didn’t offer her much she didn’t already know, but learning of injuries to Andre Ooijer and Mohammed Abou Trika was welcoming to her plans and thoughts.

Wednesday 29th July 2009

PSV Eindhoven vs. St Mirren

Philips Stadion

Europa League Third Qualifying Round First Leg

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Jack Ross

DL; Ally Love

DC; John Potter

DC; Lee Mair

MC; Hugh Murray

MC; Andy Dorman

MR; Fabrice Fernandes

ML; Ricardo Vaz Te

ST; Edixon Perea

ST; Billy Mehmet

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, Alej Caiaffa, Tom Brighton, Febian Brandy, Ciro Immobile, Mo Camara

The arrival into Eindhoven was greeted with a dim skyline dominated with drizzle. The rain hadn't stopped once during the trip to the stadium and it wasn’t going to stop itself for the upcoming match. Tina had left the house pretty early on, Valter picking her up from the house at about 9am. They had formulated certain plans before a quick fitness session with the players. Mo Camara failed to show an improvement which meant that Ally Love would be filling in for him against PSV. Camara was disappointed, but seemingly acceptant of it when he realised hurting himself would be a silly thing. Ally on the other hand looked dead nervous. He did play against Wigan, but this was now an important match. It would be a stern test of his abilities.

Nothing could have prepared Tina for the side that greeted hers on the opposing team sheet. After giving the squad information to the officials, she looked down on what was an extremely unknown PSV side. Not one first teamer was even in the squad. Not one. Rutten was either taking an extreme gamble or he viewed Tina’s side with a heightened sense of degradation. It annoyed Tina that he had taken her side so lightly, but it was also the prime chance to hurt them on their own turf. It was going to be interesting, that much was evident at least.

As Tina stood with her players getting changed, Valter stood next to her. “I can’t believe the side Rutten has put out. Is he a complete idiot?

Tina smiled, “It certainly looks that way. I really want us to thrash them. At least so that if they do decide to put a full strength team out in Paisley then we have a lead to hold on to.

Sounds like a very thorough plan,” he replied before going over to sort out Camara. Tina picked up her clipboard before grabbing everyone’s attention.

Alright, listen up everyone. I can’t say I’m disappointed at how we won’t be lining up against their stars, but now we get the chance to punish Rutten for a choice poorly made. We are now the better side on paper and we deserve a storming win today. But please bare in mind that Dutch sides create the best of Europe’s youngsters. Don’t take them lightly, but show them what their age hasn’t learned yet. Maturity. Let’s do this for the fans guys and let’s do it in style.

The players all rallied together before heading out into the tunnel. Tina and the staff made their way out to the technical areas. As Tina turned to her left she spotted Fred Rutten heading towards her. She offered her hand out, “Good luck, Fred,” she said.

Fred nodded in reply, “You too. Don’t be surprised if my youngsters tear you apart today, Tina. They are very talented.

Tina frowned inside but kept a calm face, “We shall see,” she said before heading back towards Valter.

You won’t believe what he just said,” muttered Tina as she sat down.

Valter laughed, “I overheard.

PSV stood ready for the kickoff, Jonathan Reis and Romario Sabajo the players ready to begin the proceedings. The captains had their sides ready, and the game was ready to begin. PSV's first team had an average age of 18. It was time to show them how to become men.

The game took awhile to get going, and it would be seven minutes in before anything actually occurred. PSV came forward in numbers after a poor clearance by Lee Mair at the back. Reis took the ball nearly half the length of the pitch before setting up Van Nuland for a shot. The midfielder’s effort crashed off the thigh of Murray to go for a corner. Velda took the corner and found Cairo at the near post. His header was free and unmarked but he sent it wide.

We simply can’t allow free headers on goal, Valter. Get an instruction to Murray to mark anyone that isn’t already so during a corner. They always seem to be stood just out from the near post, so let him know to start there.

Valter nodded and got on with it while PSV came at St Mirren again. Sabajo on the left worked some excellent space past Ross to cross into the centre. Mair had failed to pick up Sweres, but Love managed to cover in. Sweres still won his header, but his effort was weakened by the presence of the young full back and as such allowed Degre to pluck it clean from the air. St Mirren hit back on the counter attack and Fernandes made a superb run down the right side. He made his way down the line before swerving an excellent cross into the centre. Mehmet was a little late in arriving which allowed Wuyten’s to head it out for a corner. Potter’s original corner struck Reis at the near post before nearly going into his own net.

St Mirren looked decent enough with their passing and overall attacking play, but it was just getting that piece of luck from which to score. There was a slight break in the game as the PSV physio came on to sort out Wuyten’s hurt leg from a clash with Murray in midfield. After he finished he was called back onto the field just a minute later to help Cairo who looked really hurt after rushing into a tackle on Perea. When he finally left for the second time, the game resumed once more.

Fernandes had an excellent chance to get the first shot on target for his side. He was played in by Perea before beating another defender. He fired his shot goalwards, but had to watch as it flew over the bar. Tina was disappointed with the effort but couldn’t falter the intention. To every fan and staff member’s disappointment, the game struggled to get off the ground. There was a lack of incentive going forward for both sides and that was a worry for Tina’s side. An away goal in Eindhoven would be excellent to take home, and the half time team talk would have to see that the point was put across.

As the referee brought an end to proceedings, the players idly filtered down the tunnel. As Tina reached the changing room, the players didn’t look impressed. They look slightly dejected if truth be told. “Alright guys. I have to say that we have played fairly decent out there and that is all well and fine. But we aren’t creating enough chances. We need to take them when we do, but we still need to forge them. Billy you’ve looked lost out there, so I’m going to take you off. Ciro get kitted and booted to take his place.

Mehmet looked really disappointed to be taken off, but in all truth Tina was right. They needed a goal and so they needed to inject something new into the field of play. “We can go on to win this game,” said Tina, “But we really need to improve and make some killer passes for Edixon and Ciro. Let’s go and do that and secure an impressive win.

Valter came across to Tina after a small consultation with Lee Mair. “He seems to be worried about a niggle in his thigh, Tina. Mairi says he is fine to continue, but we will need to keep an eye on him during the start of the half to make sure he doesn’t aggravate the issue.

Got you, Valter. I’ll make sure Balmer keeps an eye on his performance during the game.

Everyone spoke between themselves before heading back out. There was a massive amount of atmosphere in Philips Stadion, the PSV fans trying to get behind their side for the second half. They must have been disappointed with the line-up, but surely couldn’t be with the scoreline. As the second half resumed, there was a massive influx of attacking intuition from the St Mirren team. It was pleasant to see.

Perea started the proceedings with a great run down the right that flowed freely for him. He pulled ahead of his defender before working his run into the box. He went all the way down the line beating two more defenders before seeing the goal. Anyone self-respecting team player would have slotted the ball back across goal for his partner, but Edixon had other ideas. He spotted the open legs of the keeper and slotted the ball through to send St Mirren into a second half lead. The travelling St Mirren fans went wild in joy as the PSV fans sank into their seats.

Rutten looked furious on the sidelines, especially as his players, all four of them, failed to stop Perea from making his goal. PSV kicked the game back off, but looked devoid of ideas as St Mirren retook possession time after time with ease. Dorman and Murray dominated the midfield superbly and marshalled it with all of their skills and talents. PSV did come close to an equaliser as a corner found Sabajo unmarked in the box. His shot was powerful and low and it slid past Mair and Potter. Degre was fast to get down and block it with his body, Murray doing the second half of the job and clearing the ball from the danger area.

Immobile and Vaz Te did some excellent work on the right to earn the ball and work their way down the wing. Some excellent passing allowed Immobile to break past the right back before then sending the ball to Dorman. The midfielder had ample space, but he failed to test the keeper properly as Roos in goal had no trouble catching his weak effort. Roos cleared the ball to allow Sabajo and Reis to bomb away down the field. His cross hit Potter to earn another corner, but it was cleared with ease by Murray.

Tina turned to Valter just before the sixtieth minute, “Get Alej ready for action. I’m going to bring Dorman off and get us some flair into the midfield.

Valter nodded and reached across to the midfield playmaker. There was a massive round of applause as Caiaffa took the field, the young Colombian already becoming a fans favourite. He was straight into the action too, as he played Murray in on goal only to see it cleared and earn a corner. The corner was weak as it was cleared by Velda, but at least there would be a second chance. The second one was just as awful, and it was cleared away by Wuytens.

Despite being on the back foot, PSV continued to play fairly well. The youngsters did well to get forward and that was what led to their finest chance. A cross to Reis ended up with the ball bobbling to Hutten. He fired a shot over the head of Degre, and despite diving, knew it was going to go wide. Degre smashed the ball up field to Murray. The captain headed it down to Immobile, who subsequently flicked it on to Perea. The goal scorer took one touch before side footing an effort when it would have been easier to score. Tina held her head in her hands. She was happy with the score line, but a second would have capped it off.

An unbelievable piece of football sees a terrific chance fall to St Mirren. An excellent pass down the right from Ross to Murray allows Murray to make headway along the PSV half. As he crosses into Perea, the striker instead opted to set up Immobile. He hit a good shot past Roos but had to watch as it hit one post, rolled across line to the other before being smothered upon by a redeeming Roos save. It was extremely disappointing to not see go in.

As the clock began to tick down on what would be a terrific win for St Mirren, PSV try their best to get back into the game. A run down the left by Hutten earns a corner for the home side but they fail to take advantage as Potter clears it. St Mirren are under the cosh slightly as Sweres pumps the ball back into the box for Hutten to head over the bar. A late knock to Jack Ross hampers St Mirren, “Send Innes on. Mair can switch to right back but he will need to stop himself from trying to get forward.

Have faith my kind reader.

Surprisingly the first booking of the game comes eighty nine minutes into the match. A ball down the wing allowed Fernandes to attempt a run past his marker. He achieved it, and then was clipped by Van Huland. The fourth official decided the injury time minutes as the referee booked van Nuland, announcing a further four minutes of play. “Four minutes to go,” said Tina, now on the edge of her seat. Rutten was in his technical area urging his side to keep pushing forward. And they were obliging with their gaffers wishes too. Hutten sent a shot hurtling past Degre that somehow hit the post and stayed out. Tina almost felt her heart sink into her mouth. It was too, too close.

St Mirren got desperate as they pushed the ball forward to constantly get rid of it. Potter and Caiaffa kept providing superb clearances, but they just ended up back under the cosh again. Disaster strikers as four minutes into injury time Chris Innes brings down Sabajo in the area with a rash tackle. The rain helped him no end, but the referee have the penalty anyway. St Mirren were close to being humbled in the last second as Reis stood up to take the penalty. Degre stood motionless, the rain dripping from his face and splashing into the muddy puddles below. Reis struck the ball hard but Degre got down well. His palm was strong and it kept the ball from going in, but Reis followed it up. Thankfully the mud seemed to stick the ball and Reis got under it too much, watching is it ballooned over the bar.

Edixon Perea’s sensational goal three minutes into the half was the deciding factor. The crowd went wild, but for different reasons, as the referee blew his whistle. The home fans booed their side off the field, but it was more their manager they were aiming at for the irrational decision to play such an inexperienced team in Europe. Tina was off her seat in joy hugging Valter as the travelling fans sang loudly. St Mirren had somehow done it, albeit in such extreme circumstances. The rain continued to fall as Tina walked onto the pitch to bring her players off to the adoration of her supporters.

A week from now would see whether St Mirren could complete the upset they had started here today. But that was a week away, and there was still things to do until then. Stewart Gilmour had made the trip for the game, and he made his way towards Tina. "I suppose you will only want to hear well done so many times, but by god, well bloody done!"

Tina smiled at her chairman, "I think the players have earned a night out for this."

"You got that right. I'm really proud of my team today. PSV are not a small club, and they're youngsters are world known for being good. We've done brilliantly."

"That we have. It all lies in our hands now. Win the home game and we are just one tie away from the group stages."

Gilmour smiled, "I have faith," he said before vanishing back into the stadium away from the rain. As it pounded down, Tina just stood where she was. What a feeling it was to secure a massive win in a big stadium.

PSV Eindhoven 0

St Mirren 1 (Perea 48 {1st})

Attendance; 28,009

MOTM; Edixon Perea

It seems that the luck for St Mirren didn’t shine on Motherwell as they fell to a 4-1 home defeat to Roma. They were never expected to win but they didn’t do themselves any favours with the score line. Francesco Totti took only thirty seconds to score past John Ruddy and one felt you wouldn’t see a comeback from Motherwell. Ruddy made things worse with a catastrophic fumble three minutes later from a Perrotta shot. Daniele De Rossi tripled the worries half hour with a fine shot from outside the area. Motherwell looked crushed under the weight of their opponents, but managed a goal through Jamie Murphy fifteen minutes into the second half. Matteo Brighi headed the fourth one in seven minutes from time to show Jim Gannon’s side why they are firm contenders for the Europa League crown.

Aberdeen were also in home action today as they welcomed Israeli side Maccabi Netanya to Pittodrie. They huffed and puffed against their opponents, but a sixtieth minute header from Jonathan Crawford was enough to give them a well earned win over the Israeli’s.

Fulham made the long journey to Sevojno to play Sevojno, and three first half goals gave them an excellent win. Clint Dempsey fired the first in before crossing to Erik Nevland to head the second home. Dempsey completed the rout with a low drive nine minutes before half time. The American could have had a hat-trick but he missed his penalty three minutes into the second half.

The final British team in action was St Pats Athletic, who made the journey to Wien. The Franz-Horr Stadion was shocked when Darren Leonard headed the visitors in front three minutes into the game. The Austrians came back in force though and secured the win before half time, Tomas Jun and Thomas Krammer firing in two similar shots past Cillian Tracey. St Pats may have lost but with the away goal could cause a massive shock in Dublin in a week’s time.

Thursday 30th July 2009

The day didn’t start off extremely well. Tina learnt early in the morning, whilst still in bed, that Jason Talbot had opted to move to Dunfermline rather than St Mirren. She was extremely disappointed over this and now would need to hope Tommy Rowe was interested otherwise she would be left with two left backs in the metaphorical fire. Another centre back would be nice to have, perhaps just on loan to cover the other guys. Two are over 31 after all.

There was an extreme amount of praise for Edixon Perea yesterday with many people still viewing he’s playing in a league that belies his talent. That was made worse with open praise from SC Freiburg manager Robin Dutt. If he even wants to dream about trying to buy Edixon, he’s going to need a wealthy budget. There was also praise for Degre who had now kept two clean sheets in Europe. The young man was doing well, and his performances were certainly keeping Paul Gallacher out of the team.

It also seems that Hristo Stoichkov is trying to raise his own funds for transfers as Steven Whittaker looks set to leave the blue side of Glasgow. An offer was only originally placed by Getafe, but the interest spurred Benfica and Sevilla to make equivalent offers making it a battle for his signature. In itself it looks like Stoichkov has been given no funds for transfers as his lack of activity seems to show that. Rangers need some bolstering so the loss of Whittaker looks like a necessary sacrifice to do so.

All this information and Tina hadn’t even climbed out of bed. Cassie lay asleep next to her as Gilmour spoke away down the phone.

There is also a fax here from SkySports which states that have acquired late rights for the St Mirren-PSV game next week. You’ll be live on air; strutting your stuff.

Better wear my best clothes then,” she said in reply, “Has there been any word on my other player bids?

Nah,” he said as Tina could hear him shuffle through the papers, “None at all. I can get people to follow them up if you want?

Tina thought for a second, “I’m sure it will be fine. I’ll leave it just a little longer.

I also never got the chance to congratulate you for the victory yesterday, Tina. Really, well done from me on that one.

Tina smiled, “It was still bloody hard. The youngsters were just as resilient as Rutten made them sound.

Gilmour laughed down the phone, “He’ll be ruing the decision today. I have to go now, I’ll speak to you later Tina.

Tina was appreciative of the call, but was happy to sink her head back into the pillow. Akira was sound asleep at the bottom of the bed, all curled up. Tina smiled herself back to sleep for all of six minutes before her phone rung again. Gilmour!

"What did you forget, Stewart?" mumbled Tina sleepily.

"The squad numbers will need sorting in the next few days, Tina. I will leave a list of the current ones on your desk and you can decide who gets what when you're next here."

"I will do. Anything else?"

Gilmour laughed down the phone, "No. You can go back to sleep for certain now."

"Good to hear. Talk to you later," she said before chucking her phone down the bottom of the bed. "I'm not answering it again."

Cassie stirred as did Akira, the conversation waking them both up. "Tina," muttered Cassie.

"Yes?"

"Make me some breakfast?"

Tina sighed. Cassie knew how to turn on the eye charm that every woman is capable of. She wasn't going to get back to sleep.

Friday 31st July 2009

Friday began just like Thursday had. A phone call started Tina’s day off in bad stead, and it came from Tim Rowe. “I’m sorry Tina, but Tommy just doesn’t want to join St Mirren. He gave it some real thought and in the end decided it wasn’t right for him.

Tina’s plans for signing a left back had once again hit a massive road block. After missing out on Jason Talbot, this was another setback they couldn’t be dealing with. There was just two bids pending now, and they were vital. “Well I can’t pretend to not be disappointed, but I really am. I wish Tommy well, Tim.

Thanks Tina. Good luck for the season.

As Tina put the phone onto her desk, she dropped her head onto the pinewood. Things had taken a dip for her lately, but hopefully they would come around and rectify themselves. Her phone rang again, this time the local area code was what looked like northern England. The voice was that of a Geordie. “Hi Tina; its Steve Bruce here. We spoke to your striker Jon McShane about a possible transfer?

I remember the offers, yes. What can I do for you?

We agreed terms with him, so we are sending the contract papers across to you for your signature. He’s a great talent, Tina. Why on earth are you letting go of him?

Tina shrugged, but realised Bruce wasn’t with her so it all it was a pointless thing to do. “His agent wanted a better deal for him at a bigger club. Apparently we just weren’t big enough. Even though we are in Europe, and you guys aren’t.

No hard feelings Tina. I wish you all the best. The fax is on its way now.

See you, Steve.

So that was that. Jon McShane was making the move down south, slightly, to Sunderland. The fee had been agreed at £375,000, a rather hefty fee for a youngster. He is talented as Bruce rightly pointed out, but you can’t force people to stay if they don’t want to.

Valter walked in, his heavy feet pounding on the wood floor. “Hey, Tina. This is my first monthly report for the squad’s improvement in training,” he said, handing Tina a file containing his report.

Tina had a brief look through the report and spotted two things that were good to see. Valter had written that the best improved players since they got here were Kyle Jacobs and Alejandro Caiaffa. Another to impress was youngster Jamie McKernon, who had done well in Valter’s eyes as of late. One player who failed to do any good was experienced centre back Chris Innes, who was beginning to lose his touch.

Tina turned back to Valter, “Get Innes to try harder. He knows what needs to be done, so let’s make sure he does it. Give him extra ball control training as well.

Valter nodded and jotted it down on his notes, “What about the young fellas who did well?

Tina laughed, “I’ll see to that. I won’t be down to training for about half an hour,” said Tina as she followed Valter out of the office. “I need to go see Gilmour.

As she made her way up, Gilmour was on the phone, but he waved Tina into his office anyway. She took a seat before he eventually finished his call. “Thanks for coming up Tina.

Sounds like a good phone call,” said Tina as he put the phone down on its hook.

It was for a new sponsorship deal just for this season at two hundred thousand pounds. That’s eighty thousand more than we were getting. I won’t be complaining at that to be honest.

Tina smiled, “What did you need to see me for?

I’ve had work back from Spanish club Jaen regarding your interest in their player Antonio Calderon. They have accepted your bid and want to know when you want to speak with him and his agent.

Tina shrugged, “Anytime soon would be excellent Stewart. I could do with him fast, but I won’t push my luck and sign him quickly on the basis that no-one else has replied.

I’ll get to it.

By the way, Stewart, whose name are we going to wearing on the front of our shirts this season?

Gilmour picked up a piece of paper from his fax and gave it to Tina before sitting down again, “A Scotland based company called Rodwell Holdings.

Tina was almost sick there and then. Rodwell Holdings had put Livingston out of business last season. James Rodwell was a slippery character and the fact that he was weaning his way into this club would surely be the start of something not good. Even he once said that he hated football, right before he sold all the club assets.

Liar.

Saturday 1st August 2009

Gilmour had done well to get right on the job of sorting out Antonio Calderon’s visit to St Mirren. His agent would of course be accompanying him and they were due to arrive in soon. There was a phone call to be had first though with FC Nordsjaelland chairman Allen Pedersen. One of Tina’s last pending deals was under the chopping block because of the cost, so the phone call was definitely needed.

Allen Pedersen here,” came the Danish voice at the other end of the line. It wasn’t surprising that he spoke English.

Hi Allen, it’s Tina Powell here from St Mirren FC in Scotland. I recently made a bid for Michael Parkhurst that you turned down. Is it possible we can come to an agreement over a fee? I’d really like to sign him.

Allen went quiet for a short while before responding, “In all honesty, Tina, it isn’t my decision. My manager is the one who needs to decide on whether to sell or not.

It isn’t, Allen. You are the chairman, and all decisions are final when they fall with you. Now I know finances must be tight for you over there; it’s not a rich league after all. I’m willing to give you seven hundred and seventy five thousand to take Michael from your hands. Please, say yes.

Pedersen went quiet again, and Tina was hoping inside that this one would go her way. “Okay Mrs Powell, you have got yourself a deal. We do need to raise funds and the manager wasn’t that fond of Michael anyway. I just wanted to drive you ever so slightly higher.

Tina frowned to herself, “I’m a Miss. So we have a deal for certain? I don’t want messing around on this, Allen.

Calm down. I’m not messing with you. He’s yours for that price providing he wants to go. I of course can’t guarantee that, Tina. I wish you well though.

Thanks Allen. I’m glad we could do business. I need all the good players I can get before the season starts,” sighed Tina before letting the call end.

She was relieved that Allen had given her permission to speak with Michael Parkhurst. He would be an excellent defender to have at the club and is built from the same mould as Lee Mair. He was recommended to Tina by Jesus Zamora, who saw the American during a summer training camp for the USA national side in Spain. He also recommended the transfer listed left Dennis Cagara who also plays for FC Nordsjaelland, but Tina wasn’t so keen on him. The next man on her agenda would be Jaen full back Antonio Calderon. Tina was reminded of his visit when Jackie walked in.

There is a player and agent downstairs, Tina. I haven’t spoke to them yet, but he looks Spanish so I’ll assume its Antonio Calderon. Do you want him sent straight up?

Tina nodded, “Yes please Jackie. Ask them if they want a drink or anything and have someone bring them up if so.

Jackie nodded in reply and headed out. Four minutes later and Calderon was sat across from Tina with his agent. Antonio Calderon was also a recommendation from Zamora during his journey in Spain. The 25 year old began his career with Atletico Malagueno, and after spending four years with the side he moved to Jaen where he has been since. His agent looked tired and fed up, so it was easy to tell that he was going to be straight to the point.

Me and my client have written up a brief summary of what we would like him to receive for his duty to your club,” groaned the agent before handing over a piece of paper with scribbles on.

As Tina looked it over, she was reasonably satisfied with the terms they wanted. He was requesting £525 a week for a three year deal to join St Mirren, with a small £2,500 signing on fee to help him settle in. Tina saw no harm in that.

I’m fine with these numbers, Antonio.”

Antonio looked at his agent for translation before he spoke in Spanish. His agent translated once more, “He says thank you. He does however have one slight concern.

The Spanish,” said Tina with a cheeky smile.

Yes. My client wishes to know if there are other Spanish speaking players here at the club. That will swing the deal for definite if he has people to converse with as he learns English.

We do. I know that Ricardo Vaz Te and Alejandro Caiaffa speak Spanish as does Edixon Perea. My scout is also Spanish, so he need not worry about that.

The agent nodded and stood up, “Well my client will be yours as soon as the contract is signed by all parties. Thank you for seeing us so quickly, Mrs Powell.

It’s Miss Powell,” sighed Tina.

Thanks guys. Steve, you really need to stop stealing my notes! In Scotland it would be a civil partnership, but they could legally marry in a country that allows it, and then go back to Scotland with their marriage. It would immediately be converted to a civil partnership upon re-entry, though.

With the happy news on the almost one hundred percent arrival of Antonio Calderon, Tina set about relaxing. With some takeout lunch on her desk she set about sorting out squad numbers for the forthcoming campaign. Squad numbers mean a lot to some players; sort of like an identity beyond their actual name. It gives them meaning within a squad, and it also holds a hierarchy within it. For example, the number nine is usually coveted as the number one striker’s shirt, while the number one is coveted by the best goalkeeper. This isn’t always the case, but it can be.

Three players left notes with Gilmour for Tina beforehand stating the precise numbers they would like. Brahim Hemdani wanted 6, Hugh Murray 7 and Ricardo Vaz Te 20. The full list came to Tina with ease and she was happy with her final decision.

Goalkeepers; Vincent Degre 1, Paul Gallacher 13

Defenders; Brahim Hemdani 6, Paul Wotton 5, Lee Mair 3, Chris Innes 25, Ally Love 17, John Potter 16, Mo Camara 30, Jack Ross 2

Midfielders; Hugh Murray 7, Edgar Davids 4, Alejandro Caiaffa 27, Fabrice Fernandes 10, Stephen O’Donnell 15, Keaghan Jacobs 29, Ricardo Vaz Te 20, Tom Brighton 21, Andy Dorman 14

Strikers; Edixon Perea 9, Ciro Immobile 11, Febian Brandy 12, Billy Mehmet 8

As she faxed the list off to the kit man, she relaxed back into her seat. Upon finishing her lunch, she checked an email from Valter about the Scottish season beginning today. The First Round of the Scottish League Cup would begin later in the evening, though with only one youngster out on loan to the lower division sides, there would be no St Mirren players in action and therefore little interest for either St Mirren or Tina. There was some news that Colombia manager Eduardo Lara has left out Edixon Perea from his upcoming squad for the game against El Salvador and Venezuela. Edixon was really unhappy, and so was Tina for him.

I really felt that I had deserved a spot in the side,” muttered Edixon as he stood across from Tina. He was extremely annoyed by exclusion. “I just don’t think Lara likes me. He never has.

Relax, Edi. If you start the season in good form you’ll find yourself back in the squad before too long. Just apply yourself well.

Oh I will, but I know he doesn’t like me,” said Edixon as he slumped into a seat. Valter came into the office at that point and spotted Edixon, frowned, and then turned to Tina.

I’ve got a fax from Newcastle United here, Tina. There is also one from Ayr, but both are in regards to Ally Love,” he said before handing her the papers.

Newcastle had now made a formal bid for Love, a £200,000 fee, while Ayr wanted to take him loan to join up with Paul Quinn. The loan was a five month request, and that suited Tina more than selling him off.

Shrug Newcastle off, Valter. I don’t want the young fella leaving permanently, so accept Ayr’s offer.”

Valter nodded and took to leave before stopping. “Why are you sat in here, Edixon?

The Colombian snapped out of his thoughts, “I’m trying to think why Lara would leave me out of the Colombia squad...

Just relax and apply yourself well in training and matches. Eventually you will...” started Valter before seeing Tina wave a finger. “I take it he has had that speech?

Tina nodded.

Well in that case, get your backside out onto that pitch and get your legs moving or you won’t HAVE the chance to prove Lara wrong in his decision to not pick you.

Edixon was up and out like lightning. Valter turned to leave again but noticed a sad looking Tina. “And what is up with you?

A dilemma,” she replied without actually looking at him.

With what?

Tina opened her desk drawer and pulled out a brochure for wedding rings. “This,” she said, handing the open page to her assistant. “I found it in our house, Valter. I think Cassie is planning on proposing.

Thanks Scott, it was always the intention to leave the door open for Rodwell after his quiet ending. Tenthree, Immobile is practically his name sake sometimes!

Sunday 2nd August 2009

As Michael Parkhurst sat in front of Tina, she felt good about the guy. He had put himself across well, and had all of the required desire to play in Scotland. He was good, too, and that was an added bonus of course.

I can only praise the way you have presented yourself, Michael. Providing you wish to join and agree with our terms, I’d like to offer you the chance to become part of our outfit.

Will I be able to play in Europe? It is a dream of mine and it would do no harm to my chance of a World Cup spot.

Tina smiled, “If we make it past PSV in our next tie, it’s highly likely you will get into the European squad.

Michael smiled before getting up out of his chair. His agent had been rather quiet throughout, and Tina was slightly pleased with that, especially after the escapades with the agent of Sean Burns and Jon McShane. “I’ll let you know then, Tina,” he said before shaking Tina’s hand.

I hope it will be good news, Michael,” she said before she showed him out of her office.

If Michael did sign for St Mirren, it would be probably be one of the biggest signings to pull off. The USA loves it players doing well abroad; Clint Dempsey is an example of such success. Michael could become St Mirren’s Clint Dempsey.

Tina didn’t stay long in the office, but before she left, there was an unexpected visitor. And it was certainly one that Tina had never dreamed of meeting again. James Rodwell stood before her in a crisp grey suit and was flanked by two security guards. He said nothing, but just smiled.

What in god’s name are you doing in my office again?” she questioned, not a hint of emotion in her face but certainly one of discontent in her voice.

I thought I would drop by and check out the facilities of the club I am sponsoring.

Tina frowned, “You and I both know that isn’t why you are here. So out with it,” she scowled in reply.

Rodwell feigned being hurt, “How could you say such a thing? I put all my effort into saving Livingston.

Tina got angry very quickly with that statement. She stood up and leant across the table, “Would you care to repeat that, James? I can bet I’d scratch your face before your heavy goons here got to me.

Rodwell smiled, “No need. I know they’d be faster.

Let’s find out anyway,” said Tina without flinching.

Rodwell shrugged indifferently, “I have to leave now. I have things to do, people to force repayments from. I’m sure we will be seeing more of each other. I am after all certainly willing to buy a stake in a football club.

But you had a football club, James.

He shrugged again, “I didn’t like that one.

Tina slumped into her seat, “Get the hell out of my office and please do not return.

Rodwell smiled again, forcing Tina to grimace. He left and Tina let out a gasp. He was right; his goons would definitely have stopped her from attacking him. It was probably for the best she hadn’t anyway. No good being arrested just a month into your new job. Jackie came in five minutes later, “There is a phone call for you, Tina. It’s from the Welsh FA, but they wouldn’t say why they were calling.

Who is on the line?

Dean Saunders.

Tina frowned, “Tell him to fuc... Tell him I'm busy,” she said before watching Jackie nod and head back to her desk. Tina sighed before shouting, “WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH THE MOST ANNOYING MEN TODAY?

Jackie belted back into the room, “Are you alright, Tina?

Tina nodded and put on her customary smile, “I’m fine. Just venting off some anger.

Monday 3rd August 2009

Monday started with a slightly uncomfortable breakfast in the Powell household. Not on Cassie’s part though; it was Tina who was in a quiet stupor. “You have said hardly a word this morning, Tina,” said Cassie as she washed her bowl in the sink, “Are you sure you’re okay?

Tina smiled, but it was a forced one. “I’m fine sweetie, honest.

Cassie feigned a smile too. She knew she was lying. “Alright then. I have to leave for work in a few minutes. I’m dropping off Akira with my parents but can you pick her up on your way home?

Tina nodded, “Will do. What time are you finished?

Cassie shrugged, “Most likely before ten, but I wouldn’t count on it. Roger retires soon and he’s working me to death so I can directly take over from him.

Tina completely ignored her response and pulled the wedding ring brochure from under the kitchen table. “I found this yesterday,” she said, laying it on the table. Cassie froze.

Where’d you find that?

Down the side of the living room cabinet. I assume it’s yours?

Cassie shook her head, “I can’t say I have ever seen that in my life, Tina. It certainly isn’t mine.

Tina knew she was lying, and was now extremely worried to as to why she felt the need to do so. “Okay. I’ll see you later,” muttered Tina before she got up to leave the house. She kissed Cassie on the forehead before making her leave.

Cassie just stood in the hallway.

Monday was close to ending when Tina received two calls of important. One came from Ayr manager Brian Reid. He had agreed terms with his chairman to pay all of Ally Love’s wages for his five month loan deal, and both parties had agreed the terms. Ally would be on his way tomorrow, and Tina could only wish the guy well. If he was successful, who knows what might lay in store for him on his return. Newcastle would no doubt be keeping an eye on him, too.

There was still an interesting lack of transfers emanating from Tony Mowbray or Hristo Stoichkov, but the first transfer of August occurred today. Hearts youngster Danny Thomson made a season-long loan move to Macclesfield, somewhere he is likely to flourish. He isn’t held in high regard by Csaba Laszlo, or Vladimir Romanov, so it’s unlikely his future lies with the purple half of Edinburgh.

The first incoming transfer would be to St Mirren though, and it was an important one for the defence of the side. Antonio Calderon and his agent had accepted the offer from Tina and the club, and Jaen was happy with the £45,000 deal they were getting. Calderon was now a St Mirren player and would move to the club in the next few days. He would of course be ineligible for the Europa League, but his presence for the first team would be important for the upcoming league season. Of all the things that could be the biggest thing of the day, it wasn’t this. Not even by a long shot. Jackie came into the office, “Tina, there is a lady out here who would like to see you. Shall I send her up?

A tired and weary Tina nodded, “Yes, send her right in.

A stunning looking blonde walked into Tina’s office. She was a really stunner, and Tina whirred to life inside. “I’m Tina Powell. Please take a seat,” she said before sitting down too. “What can I help you with?

The blonde smiled and it just made looking at her even better, “I was just intrigued to meet the woman they call The First Lady of Football.

Tina smiled, “I haven’t heard that for awhile,” she replied, “So who does that make you? Reporter?

My name is Steffi Rheinheimer. And I’m not a reporter. You know how in football you get rival clubs? Well, there are rivalries in players and managers too, of course. I’m here to introduce you to the one you will most certainly come to view as a rival.

Tina was extremely confused, “Is that so?

It certainly is. From tomorrow, I am due to be the new manager of Falkirk FC after the moving on of Eddie May. You may be the First Lady of Football, but I am now the New Lady of Football. But one thing is certain; I WILL become the Top Lady in Football,” said Steffi, before getting up to leave. “I look forward to the meetings I know will take place.

Tina was speechless.

It certainly is. From tomorrow, I am due to be the new manager of Falkirk FC after the moving on of Eddie May. You may be the First Lady of Football, but I am now the New Lady of Football. But one thing is certain; I WILL become the Top Lady in Football,” said Steffi, before getting up to leave. “I look forward to the meetings I know will take place.

Tina was speechless.

The New Lady of Football is'a begging to be slapped. I'll do the honours :p

I'm sure you would, viper! Would also like to thank people for helping us reach the 3000 milemarker, thanks for continued readership.

As Tina finally got home, she was fuming. Cassie was lounging on the sofa and Akira was curled up in front of the television. As Cassie turned to greet Tina, she could instantly spot the anger enveloping her.

What’s up with you then? Are you still in a mood from earlier?

Tina frowned before throwing her coat onto the stairs, “You aren’t going to believe what the hell happened earlier,” muttered Tina. It was a matter of fact, not an open question.

You’re right, I probably won’t believe whatever you are about to tell me,” sighed Cassie, sitting in customary position to listen to Tina moan about something that really wouldn’t be an issue. At least not in the end. “So come on then, out with it,” said Cassie, patting the sofa seat next to her curled up legs.

Tina slouched down into the seat, Akira waking at the noise of the sofa springs squeaking. “I’ve lost the franchise. I always knew it would happen, but not in the same god damn bloody league!

Cassie frowned, “What on earth are you on about?

I’ve lost the franchise, Cassie! I’m no longer the one of a kind that made me special.

You are to me,” she said in response, curling her hand around her partners.

I know sweetheart. I mean being the only female manager...

Cassie straightened up as she now begins to sense the actual worry in Tina’s head. “There’s another isn’t there?

In the same league Cassie! The same league! It couldn’t be any worse!” muttered Tina in a despondent tone. Cassie put her arms around her and cuddled her.

Sweetie, you will always be the number one. Here and in football. What’s her name?

Steffi Rheinheimer. She came to the office and practically beat me down with just a sentence.”

Did you slap her? I know I would have.

Tina managed a smile, “You’d have gotten away with it; you aren’t under constant observation from the public.

I’d still have knocked her one or at least scratched her eyes out.

She’s even better looking than me, Cassie! This is a disaster of epic proportions.

Tina, just be quiet. You are beautiful, and as good looking as she may be, you are an excellent female manager. She might be good, but you knew it had to happen eventually. Now you have to show the world that you are still the best, amongst men and women. That starts on Wednesday right? Beating PSV will make people stand up and take notice. Steffi doesn’t have that yet, make sure you make it count,” said Cassie before she got up to make a coffee.

I know you’re right, I know. I just didn’t expect it to happen in this league, of all the possibilities.

You’ve set a trend now, Tina. You’ve shown other potential women that if they can show they have the talent, then they will get their chance. You opened the door, you will always be known for that, just like Hope Powell was remembered for her role in becoming England manager for the women’s team. You have to accept it, build from it, and add it to the past.

Tina got up and went into the kitchen, “I know this will sound childish, but I enjoyed being the only female manager in the men’s game.

You’ll still be the favourite. You’re gorgeous, clever, tactically gifted, media non-friendly. You’ll always be the best.

Tina squeezed up against Cassie and kissed her on the lips, “I hope you realise that by the end of the year we will most likely have had a fight on the pitch side.

Well make sure I’ve got tickets for that game. Would be an excellent thing to see, you scratching her into submission.

Tina’s eyes turned seductive, “Surely you’re the only person I do that to?

Cassie turned and looked at the coffee she had almost finished making, “I’m not so sure I want this now. I quite fancy an early night though.

Tina smiled and the pair went upstairs. Akira looked up, made a deep sighing noise, and plumped her head back onto her bed. This was one thing she would happily avoid in aid of a quiet night of sleep for herself.

Tuesday 4th August 2009

Today was a story of the problematic left back position. Ally Love departed for Ayr to go and stay with Paul Quinn, while Antonio Calderon completed his protracted move. It was good for Tina to finally get her man, the left back slot finally covered in the event of injury to Mo Camara. Ally knows he is wanted at the club, but a kid of his talent needs the chance to get some first team experience, and joining Paul Quinn at Ayr is a fine chance for that to happen.

In the case of Antonio, he knows what he is here to do. Ally will be one for the future, providing Newcastle don’t poach him. But for now the aged veteran in Mo Camara simply doesn’t have the physical attributes to compete continually through a rigorous relegation battle season. The defence looks suitably bolstered for the coming season now, and there is an air of satisfaction emanating from the stadium.

Gilmour is more than happy with the balance of the clubs finances, and he was remaining optimistic of St Mirren’s chances of reaching the Europa League group stages. It would be extremely lucrative for the club and more than worthwhile for all involved. Tina didn’t need to make it into the office today and the day off was thoroughly appreciated. There was nothing in the news once more of any pending transfers for any of the other SPL clubs, something that is causing discontent amongst some of the fans who feel that their club does need some recruitment. The money just doesn’t seem to be there. That didn’t stop the Sunday Mail from running a story on the transfer window so far for bigger nations within Europe and the money that has been bandied around so far.

Transfer Window Overview for Football Fans:

Europe is world renowned for its expensive transfer dealings during the busy summer period. By this point teams should have an indication as to who they need, how much they have, or don’t in some cases, to spend. The English Premier League is known for its spending power, so we’re going to look at the current spending of the bigger sides so far this season.

English Premier Division:

Top Five Transfers;

1. Edin Dzeko (Wolfsburg to Chelsea) - £22.5million

2. Maxi Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid to Manchester City) - £21million

3. Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon to Chelsea) - £19million

4. Joao Moutinho (Sporting CP to Manchester City) - £16.25million

5. Guiseppe Rossi (Villarreal to Manchester United) - £13.75million

German First Division:

Top Five Transfers;

1. Tranquillo Barnetta (Leverkusen to Stuttgart) - £4.9million

2. Heiko Butscher (Freiburg to Bayern Munich) - £2.8million

3. Joel Epalle (Bochum to Leverkusen) - £2.1million

4. Federico Vilar (Atlante to Bayern Munich) - £2million

5. Ricardo Osorio (Stuttgart to Wolfsburg) - £1.3million

French Ligue 1:

Top Five Transfers;

1. Simon Rolfes (Leverkusen to Lyon) - £8.75million

2. Marvin Compper (Hoffenheim to Marseille) - £5.25million

3. Xabi Prieto (Real Sociedad to Lyon) - £3.3million

4. Marco Aurelio Brito dos Pazeres (Betis to Lyon) - £2.8million

5. Hasan Salihamidzic (Juventus to Marseille) – £2.7million

Serie A:

Top Five Transfers;

1. Ibrahim Afellay (PSV to Juventus) - £8million

2. Willian (Shakhtar Donetsk to AC Milan) - £6.5million

3. Danny Welbeck (Manchester United to Udinese) - £5.75million

4. Cyriac Gohi Bi (Standard Liege to Juventus) - £1.6million

5. Levan Kobiashvili (Schalke to Fiorentina) - £1.5million

Liga BBVA:

Top Five Transfers;

1. Juan Roman Riquelme (Boca Juniors to Atletico Madrid) - £10.5million

2. Arda Turan (Galatasaray to Barcelona) - £9.25million

3. Francesco Modesto (Genoa to Atletico Madrid) - £7.75million

4. Marcelo Gallardo (River to Getafe) - £6.75million

5. Luciano Galletti (Olympiakos to Atletico Madrid) - £4.4million

As Tina lowered the article back to her desk, it was easy to see why England had such a successful top division. The money they threw around on players was insane, but it did make Tina envious. Who knew what she could do with a huge transfer kitty, but then every manager would think the same at some point. But for now she was in Paisley with a team she was confident in, and money wasn’t so important at this stage. Tomorrow’s game against PSV, however, was massive for the club. A 1-0 goal lead from Eindhoven was all they had, but Tina was going to make sure they held on to it.

Thank you Entombed. I'm not so sure that Dzeko is worth it, though.

Wednesday 5th August 2009

St Mirren vs. PSV Eindhoven

St Mirren Park

Europa League Third Qualifying Round Second Leg

GK; Vincent Degre

DR; Jack Ross

DL; Mo Camara

DC; John Potter

DC; Lee Mair

MC; Hugh Murray

MC; Alej Caiaffa

MR; Fabrice Fernandes

ML; Ricardo Vaz Te

ST; Edixon Perea

ST; Febian Brandy

Subs; Paul Gallacher, Chris Innes, Keaghan Jacobs, Andy Dorman, David Barron, Ciro Immobile, Andy Millen

There was an overwhelming air of trepidation circling St Mirren Park by the time the fans started flocking to the stadium. The nervousness migrated to Tina, who was now feeling it just as much as the players were. Michael Parkhurst had completed his move to Tina’s side just an hour ago. He was of course ineligible to play today, but his presence would no doubt bolster the mood in the stadium.

With regards to the squad selection, Tina made some interesting choices. Andy Dorman picked up a slight groin injury, so his fitness was on the down. Alej Caiaffa looked the best option to replace him, and in the end Tina decided he would do so. “You know what Alej can do,” said Valter, watching as she contemplated the decision.

I know, I know. I just don’t want to take anything for granted today. Don’t rush me,” sighed Tina. Valter just laughed in response, but knew better than to continue the conversation in the direction it had veered into.

You know that Rutten won’t take the same pathway this time round,” he said, looking at the team sheet. Valter was made to eat his words though. “Or maybe I should just be quiet." Only one first teamer and big name had made it into the side. That man was the keeper, Andreas Isaksson. The former Manchester City keeper had enjoyed a less than successful spell in England, but was finding himself out in Eindhoven, especially after the departure of Huerelho Gomes to Tottenham Hotspur.

Tina’s keeper, Vincent Degre, was loving his good bit of form. Two clean sheets in Europe had done wonders for his confidence. That could only be good for him and the defenders in front of him. As the stadium maxed out in fans, Tina called her players all around to listen.

Alright, fellas. We have done an immense amount of hard work this week to get us ready for this match, and with our one goal lead, the scales are weighing in our favour. We need to do exactly the same today and finish the job off. Rutten still underestimates us, so let’s show him how wrong he actually is. A place in the group stages is just three matches away. Let’s make it two after tonight’s game.

As the players left the dressing room and emerged from the tunnel, the home fans went mad. They sounded thoroughly in the mood to get behind their side today and ensure they pushed on to the next round. As the toss took place, Valter got Tina’s attention.

I’ve given some of your individual instructions to the guys,” he said, showing her the clipboard with the information on. Tina nodded and turned back. PSV captain Isaksson won the toss, and PSV would kick the game off.

As Sabajo and Reis stood over the ball waiting for the whistle, Tina felt her gut churn. This game was massive for her. She hoped Steffi would be watching as the game kicked off.

Worryingly for Tina and Valter, it would be PSV who would knock on the door first. Some well worked passing play between Bourdouxhe and Sabajo allowed the winger to sneak in past Mair. Degre came off his line to meet Sabajo but was forced into a reflex save as he smashed the ball towards his goal. The ball looped over the bar to the happiness of the home crowd. Degre got a double cheer as he easily plucked the ball out of the air from the corner.

St Mirren weren’t without their own hard work in passing and movement though, and it earned them an early corner when Murray hit his long range effort off a defenders leg. Fernandes whipped the ball in, and despite finding Perea at the back post had to watch as Sweres beat the striker in the air to head it away. The ball immediately came back towards the PSV goal, Vaz Te running down the left before passing to Caiaffa. The little Colombian hit a first time shot with his laces, but it was always rising and didn’t test captain Isaksson.

The first real moment in the game would be after eighteen minutes, but it wasn’t what Tina liked to see. A long ball from deep at the back allowed Sabajo to turn John Potter at the back. The Scotsman was annoyed at the youngster’s turn of pace, and subsequently dragged him down from behind to prevent him from going any further. The referee immediately blew for a freekick and had no hesitation in booking him. Tina was off her seat in fury at the defenders stupid move, so she called him over. “A foot further along, John, and you’d have been sent off. Watch what you are bloody doing,” she snapped.

Potter skulked away; hopefully with the brain cells to realise he now needs to be careful. The game thankfully soured down for a small while, with both sides happy enough at passing around and getting into a rhythm. Perea though would have the perfect chance to put St Mirren ahead, but the fool couldn’t take it. A delicious through ball from Fernandes saw Perea break the offside trap thanks to Sweres but his shot, despite being low and vicious, was easily turned away by Isaksson’s leg.

It wasn’t all one way as PSV sought to get a foothold in the game, but were reduced to just long shots by the St Mirren defence. There was a noticeable change in Potter’s game, mainly by the fact that he stopped lunging into tackles. Or making them at all. St Mirren were the dominant force in the game though, and Fernandes continued to be the mainstay of the side. There was some great passing before the winger broke through the defence but his shot was easily turned away by Isaksson. Perea then did the exact same just twenty seconds later, drawing a sarcastic Oooo from the crowd. It was however beginning to wear thin on Tina.

They need to put those chances away. PSV are going to hound us for all they’ve got and we just can’t afford to miss these,” she muttered, but was made to almost yell in excitement as Caiaffa struck the crossbar with a delightful lobbed shot. It cracked back into play, but Camara was offside and the whistle went.

PSV looked devoid of ideas as the half progressed, and the constant pressing on their midfield was making Tina happy. They were given little or no space which enabled St Mirren to break more regularly than their counterparts. Rutten had spent the best part of five minutes on the touchline, yelling at his midfield to pass and move with pace. It had no effect as Caiaffa had another effort smothered by Isaksson.

As the half almost reached its conclusion, PSV saw their first yellow of the game as Wuytens and Murray got into a scrape. The St Mirren midfield man escaped without punishment, but Wuytens hacking down from behind of him saw him presented with a yellow. It was unnecessary and it was rather lucky that Murray avoided a booking. It was the last action of the half as referee Andrea De Marco blew his whistle for half time. Tina avoided the stare of Rutten as he glided down the tunnel. This game could still go either way but the boredom of the first half was disappointing for all.

As the players replenished their depleted energy levels, Tina took a moment to check up on Febian Brandy. The on-loan Manchester United striker looked jumpy out there, and he seemed to be nursing a limp. “Are you okay, Fab?

The young striker smiled, “I’ll be fine. Just a twinge I think. Please, don’t take me off though.

Tina nodded and let him be.

Listen up guys. We are still in the driving seat and that can only be good for us. PSV are coming at us just as we expected, but we need to continue to handle it just as we practised. You all know what is at stake, and right now it’s an important place in the next round. No-one expected us to even beat PSV on their own turf, least of all them. Now we have the chance to kill the tie. Lets do it," she said, before dishing out the bottles of sports drinks.

Love you, Salk. You see funny things everywhere! :D. Welcome to the second instalment, KharNivore! Glad to have you with us again.

As the players were given specific instructions by Valter and Stuart Balmer, Tina walked across to Mairi. “I have got the most skull splitting headache,” she said, rubbing the top of her head in angst.

Mairi frowned, “I can’t imagine the noise outside will be doing you any favours. I have some painkillers here in my bag if you want to take some?

Tina nodded, “I wouldn’t mind,” she said, offering her hand out to receive some aspirin. As she took them with a drink of water, Valter came across to her.

Tina, I think Fab should come off. He looks uncomfortable on his bad leg,” he murmured whilst looking at his clipboard.

Alright,” she said before turning to Fab, “Get Ciro prepped Valter. Fab I really do have to take you off otherwise I risk you getting a bad injury and I don’t want that.

The striker nodded in reply, obviously disappointed but not seeing any flaw in the argument. Ciro got his shirt on ready for action, and Valter conversed with him in their native Italian. Tina still didn’t feel so good, and her feet were unsteady. As she sat down, the room began to swirl around her. She heard someone call her name, but upon standing up, her vision completely went. Her head exploded in a cloud of pain, and she then collapsed. There was an utter scene as Valter and Mairi ran to her.

Tina! Are you okay Tina?!” yelled Mairi as she knelt at her friends side. There was no response as Tina was completely unconscious on the floor. The referee came knocking on the dressing room door, and Tina stirred back to life.

Tina, are you alright?” asked Mairi, concern spread all over her face.

I need to lie down on something more comfy,” she muttered in response, Valter and Ciro helping her up. “The referee is knocking, Valter. Lead the team out, I’ll be out as soon as I feel steady enough,” she said, closing her eyes.

I’ll stay in here with Tina, Valter.

Valter nodded, gave a reassuring tap on Tina’s shoulder before leading the team out of the dressing room.

As Cassie watched the live game at home, Akira was watching too whilst gnawing on a bone Cassie was indulging her with. Cassie wasn’t really paying much attention to the half time punditry, but their words stung her like a bee.

We have just received word that St Mirren manager Tina Powell won’t be appearing for the second half. The club physio has told us that she collapsed in the dressing room during the half time interval and we wish her well for the time being. We're now going back to our commentators for the second half.

Cassie almost choked on her coffee as her brain replayed what they had just said. Like an immediate instinct, she reached for her mobile and called Tina. There was no answer. As the game started back on the television, she flung her shoes on. She picked up Akira and a lead for her and then left the house for her car.

Welcome back Ash! Haha, pregnancy might be difficult for Tina rightt now :D

Mairi was nursing Brandy’s leg and keeping an eye on Tina when Cassie came in. The match had surpassed the 72 minute mark, and the score was still level. That was obviously good for the Paisley side, which were still progressing with their goal from the first leg. Both sides had had their chances, but no-one seemed able or willing to take just one of them.

Cassie immediately rushed to Tina’s side, “Sweetie, are you alright?

Tina managed a weak smile, “I’m honestly fine. People should stop fussing,” she said before noticing the lead in Tina’s hand. “Akira!

The little Alaskan Husky wagged her tail at the sight of Tina and gave her a sloppy lick on the face. Cassie frowned, “Seriously, Tina. What on earth happened?

Tina managed to sit up but just shrugged in response to Cassie. “I don’t know,” was the only response she could muster. It was also the truth.

Mairi chipped in, “Don’t forget that you had that really bad headache, Tina. I have a feeling that it made you blackout.

Tina shrugged, “Probably. I really am okay though, and I am going to go out there and see my team come off that field successful. Mairi, can we leave Akira with you?

The physio nodded, “Yeah, she will be safe in here.

Cassie was confused, “Where am I going?

Tina smiled, albeit faintly, “You’re coming to sit next to me.

The pair left their puppy with Mairi and headed out through the tunnel. It was an extremely weird feeling emerging from the tunnel during a match, but Tina received a raucous applause from all areas of the stadium. Cassie didn’t know what to do with herself, having never been the focal point of such a large crowd.

Valter beamed with happiness at seeing his boss coming towards him. Even the players managed a quick clap and a half. The game stopped a few seconds later as Bourdouxhe was down on the floor injured. Hugh Murray took the gap in play to sprint across and hug Tina. Cassie smiled at how caring the team was of their leader; they loved her just as much as she did.

The fans had seen little to get their hearts excited, but they were off their seats when the best chance of the game fell to the little Italian Ciro. Perea hassled the keeper when he came out to collect a ball and both clattered resulting in the ball spraying across the open goal. Immobile lunged at it but was shocked when Verkoelen hacked it away from the outstretched boot.

Valter was off his seat, but his head was in his hands when Verkoelen appeared from nowhere. “So bloody close,” he muttered. Tina smiled in response as she held Cassie’s hand.

Perea then hit the post with an exceptional long shot. The St Mirren fans were getting fed up now, they wanted that important goal that would see them complete the upset of the season. Before the season had even begun. But that goal arrived with the next lunge of the St Mirren forward line.

Immobile broke from his marker with the ball and turned his back on him with his pace. Perea was keeping level with him, and pulled away to the right. Isaksson came off his line to meet Immobile but realised his error when he squared it to Perea. The big Swede leapt across as far as he could but couldn’t get the ball as Perea rolled it in over the line. The stadium went mad as they realised that they had done it. The travelling PSV fans slumped back into their seats. Rutten frowned, and gave the thumbs up. His voice spoke clearly of all the underestimation he had given this team and their manager.

Their time was done now, but the time for St Mirren had just begun. Tina hugged Edixon as he made his way to her. He said something she didn’t understand, but would learn later that it translated to ‘That’s For You Boss’.

St Mirren (2) 1 (Perea 88 {2nd})

PSV Eindhoven (0) 0

Attendance; 8,016

MOTM; Fabrice Fernandes

Thanks banglared. Not quite, still one more round to go!

Thursday 6th August 2009

There was a megalithic air of good feeling Paisley. PSV had been sent home packing, and the whole city was buzzing from it. You would almost think that they had won the trophy itself. It wasn’t the same story in Motherwell though as they travelled to play AS Roma back at Olimpico whilst combating a 4-1 deficit. They never looked like even getting close to troubling Roma as Francesco Totti opened the defence after just three minutes. Stefano Guberti made it two nil on the night after just half an hour with a well taken low driven effort. At 6-1 down, Motherwell made no effort to even grab a consolation and Mirko Vucinic wrapped things up with a penalty late in the second half.

Aberdeen fared much better in their trip to Israel as they made their way to Shartov to play Maccabi Netanya. They held a one goal lead going into the game, but a first half deconstruction of Netanya led to goals from Peter Pawlett and a double from Lee Miller. Netanya got a consolation late in the game from Efi Tarabiyah, but they were roundly played off the park by Mark McGhee’s outfit.

Fulham had no trouble in dispatching Sevojno at home this time as they romped to another three goal victory to plough through 6-0 on aggregate. First half goals from Erik Nevland set them on their way and Andy Johnson finished it one minute in the second half with a delicious freekick. St Pats had a much harder job over in Dublin as they need to beat Austria Wien to go through. They took a shock lead through Tony Richardson, but a Tomas Jun hat-trick had them watching their chances go down the drain. A late barrage saw them come extremely close to an upset as Richardson got another before Darren Leonard smashed one in. It wasn’t to be though as it finished 3-3 and they went out 5-4 on aggregrate.

Early Thursday morning saw the expected departure of Steven Whittaker as he made his move to Sevilla, choosing them over Getafe. The fee being bandied around is £1,600,000, with the chance of it going to by £300,000 more based on conditions in his contract. Its possible Tina might see some activity in Glasgow at last, but whether Stoichkov gets to see any of these funds is unknown right now. Whittaker wasn’t the only one to leave Ibrox today as Steven Smith went southwards to Hull for a cheap £230,000.

Tina lowered the newspaper as her name was called out, “Tina Powell to room one, please.

She got up and reached for Cassie’s hand. “I still don’t know why you have brought me here, Cassie. I told you I was fine.

Cassie frowned, “People don’t just black out for no reason, sweetheart. It’s best to get it checked out before it turns into anything worse.

I blacked out. I don’t have a disease,” muttered Tina as she walked into the room. The doctor stood before her and smiled.

I’m Dr Sandri,” he said, offering his hand. “Your partner here tells me that you experienced a black out just last night, Miss Powell?

“Yes, I did.”

Did you experience any feelings of ill health before then?” he said whilst he shone his light into Tina’s eyes.

I had a really violent headache.

The doctor just nodded, “That certainly would have been a catalyst for the black out. Was there anything else?

Nothing at all, doctor. I feel fine now, anyway.

That's good, but I’d still like to be sure. I would rather not go sending you out of here without doing a proper check. It would be against what we do, for a start.

Cassie smiled, “Stop fighting us, Tina, and let the doctor do his job. I’d rather know that you are completely okay. What are the chances of this happening again doctor?

Until we establish the reason for the black out, which I think is the headache anyway, then I can’t really say. If you ever get another headache of such magnitude, Tina, then you need to sit down and breathe deeply. I know what your job is, and I can almost certainly say that stress of the job will only fuel the headache. Remember, if it happens again then just relax for a minute or two,” he murmured while taking a blood sample from her.

As he cleaned up her arm, he smiled and pointed to a jar on the window sill, “Would you like a lollipop for being a good patient?

Tina frowned, “Yes, actually, I would.

Friday 7th August 2009

As Tina arrived at St Mirren Park nice and early, she was greeted by a representative of Mansfield Town. Standing with the man was a face she did recognise; Chris McQuade. “Glad I got here in time to say goodbye, Chris,” she said, offering her hand.

The defender smiled, “Thanks for making the effort.

I’m sad you’re moving on, but you knew I couldn’t provide first team football. No hard feelings I hope?

None at all. They’ve offered me the chance to play and it’s the best way for me to further my career and get noticed.

Then good luck, Chris. Do well down there,” said Tina.

It might only be for £4,700, but Chris McQuade left St Mirren with high hopes for his new home. He would certainly be a regular for Mansfield; that much is for certain. As Tina made her way into the office, she was greeted with a fax of international call-ups for August 10th-12th.

Tina,

These guys have been called up for internationals in the next week, Tina. Just giving you a heads up.

Scotland U-19’S;

Sean Burns and Kyle Faulds

Scotland U-21’S;

Stephen McGinn

Algeria;

Brahim Hemdani

Scotland;

Paul Gallacher

See you tomorrow,

Valter

Tina dropped it onto her desk but remembered that Sean Burns was likely to leave today anyway. He was currently in Sunderland holding talks, and word from the St Mirren staff present was that he had just to sign on the dotted line. Tina had done everything on this end and given Jackie the files for relevant distribution. There was however something slightly more important taking place pretty shortly.

The Europa League Fourth Qualifying Round. This would be the important draw that would see who St Mirren would play before they made it to the group stages. There were a lot of good sides in the tournament now, so the draw would give a potential massive side to Tina’s.

SC Heerenveen had just been drawn to play Genk from Belgium when Gilmour strode into the office. “Well done on the victory over PSV, Tina,” he bellowed with a smile before his voice dropped and he turned serious, “Are you okay though? I heard about what happened.

Gilmour hadn’t been at the game due to commitments elsewhere, but had caught some on the television. He had feared the worst when Tina hadn’t come back out. “I’m fine, honestly Stewart. I just had a bad headache.

Gilmour nodded and decided not to press the matter anymore. “How is the draw coming along?

Hearts just got Toulouse FC. I know we’re going to get someone massive. I can feel it in my bones.

Stewart plonked himself down on the edge of Tina’s chair and watched the screen. It was a live internet feed coming through her laptop. Athletic Club got Lech Poznan before St Mirren’s name cropped up. Tina turned the volume up.

St Mirren, the biggest upsetters of the last round will play... AS Roma.

Oh for fu*k sake,” she yelled, Gilmour frowning at the draw too. It was one club they DIDN’T want.

The two teams to come out after were Metalist Kharkiv and IFK Goteborg. The luck of the draw just wasn’t fair at all. When FC Inter Turku got drawn against Dinamo Bucharest, Tina couldn’t bear it.

Oh fu*k off!” she yelled, “I knew this would happen.

Gilmour smiled before getting up to leave, “If anyone can lead my team to success, it’s you, Tina.

Well don’t blame me when I resort to poisoning Julio Baptista,” she muttered as he left the room. She sat upright though, and picked her phone up before muttering to herself. “I do think I know someone who can help...

"Not the poisoning I hope!" he yelled from down the corridor.

Saturday 8th August 2009

Who are we even having for dinner?” asked Cassie, laying the table out for the first time ever. It was true; the Powell household had never had guests around for dinner. Mainly because no-one ever seemed to want to!

It’s a personal friend of mine! I haven’t seen him in a while, so it’ll be nice for him and his wife to come here. It’s a long drive though,” replied Tina while she cleaned up the living room.

Well I hope he likes my casserole then,” muttered Cassie as she thudded back into the kitchen. “Not many people get to experience ‘Cassie’s Chicken Casserole’.

Not to live to tell the tale anyway,” chuckled Tina. Cassie threw a tea towel from within the kitchen.

There was suddenly a knock on the door. Tina froze, “Now behave yourself Cassie. I know what you’re like around company.

Cassie feigned being hurt, “How can you say such a thing? I’m an exceptionally good host.

Tina gave her the evil eye before opening the door. Stood there looking as beautiful as ever was Patty Ridgway and alongside her of course, Rob Ridgway himself.

Rob,” said Tina before hugging him, “It’s great to see you! And Patty, you’re looking as good as ever,” she said with a kiss on the cheek.

Hello Tina, and I'm pregnant, stop lying about how I look,” she said with a cheeky smile before offering a bottle of wine, “Seeing as we aren’t driving home until tomorrow, I thought wine would be a nice addition to the night.

Tina smiled, “You know us too well.

Tina showed them in and put the bottle of wine in the kitchen before sitting the couple down. Cassie popped out of the kitchen when Rob spoke, “Is that a really good casserole I can smell cooking? Patty consistently enjoys poisoning me with hers,” he said in jest, gauging the reply on his wife’s face.

Rob, we both know you and I have disagreements about my cooking. But it’s still a damn sight better than yours,” she said, winking at Cassie.

Rob threw his hands up in defeat, “You got me there.”

Cassie laughed before pulling the big casserole cooking dish from the kitchen and laying it in the middle of the table. She put a plate of garlic bread slices on either side of the casserole dish before going back and retrieving the wine and glasses. Tina sat down opposite Rob while Patty was opposite Cassie. “This does actually smell and look really good, Cassie,” said Patty, eager to get stuck in.

They did so as Cassie filled their plates up, “Feel free to have as much as you want otherwise I’ll be having it for my lunch for the next week and a half.

The conversation dimmed down for a slight while as people ate the rather nice food and after around twenty minutes or so of quiet bantering, the clanking of plates and cutlery began to slow down. Rob couldn’t get enough of the meal though, which drew a laugh from Patty. “Rob, don’t eat like such a pig!

Rob smiled, “I think we should get the recipe for this. It is really good. I may even be able to cook it for myself.

We both know you couldn’t,” she replied before almost jumping up in shock. Akira has brushed past her feet under the table. “You scared the life out of me little one,” laughed Patty.

Cassie bent under the table, “Akira! Go back to your bed and lie down. You know you aren’t allowed to greed.

Akira begrudgingly complied and dashed back to her little area of the house where she began to gnaw on her meaty bone.

As the night progressed, the conversation split into two obvious sections; football and fashion. “Where did you get that lovely dress from, Patty?” asked Cassie as she poured some more wine.

Patty moved her chair round and whispered to Cassie, “Rob doesn’t know, but it was this small but expensive little shop in the centre of London. Beautiful array of clothing in there,” she said with a smile.

Cassie smiled in response before clinking her glass with Patty, “Good girl,” she said before turning on her serious face. “Can we have a chat in private?

Patty nodded, “Of course sweetheart.

Cassie caught Tina’s attention with a wave, “We’re just getting the deserts from the fridge,” she said.

Tina nodded before turning back to Rob, “I really need your help, Rob. We have to play Roma in the Europa League, and I really need to know how to stop Baptista. I know you and Reading were looking into him, so you are one of the better people to know about him. He’s scoring freely in the friendlies and has three assists in the Europa League after they thumped Motherwell.

Rob smiled before pulling a file out of Patty’s bag. “The thing to know about Julio is his temper. If you can rile him up with your defenders you are most likely to succeed in bringing his overall game down. He then becomes volatile and likely to lose the ball on more than one occasion. It’s all there in that folder, and there is a DVD you can watch that proves my point. It comes from his loan at Arsenal a couple of years back,” he said, offering both the file and DVD to Tina.

Thanks Rob. I’m glad you and Patty could come up, anyway. We haven’t had guests here since Cassie moved in.

It’s a pleasure, Tina. Yesterday was quite hectic as we held a public gathering at the Megastore in Oracle Mall. The club is doing excellent, but Bogdan was rather quiet if I’m honest.

Did it go well?

Very well indeed,” he said before carrying on.

Back in the kitchen Patty was talking with Cassie. “You mean she found the ring brochure?

Cassie stared at the floor, “Yes, she did. I didn’t know what to say or do. The fact of the matter is that she didn’t seem too impressed with the idea.

Patty stroked her chin, “Marriage is a big thing, and for you two it will be even bigger. Not many people get to that point, so it is definitely best to take it slow for now. Weigh her out, try to find out from other people whether she is interested. Family members?

Her parents have died, no siblings. It’s just her.

Patty smiled, “That’s your way in, Cassie. You need to become her family. Now, let’s get these desserts to Rob. I’m sure I heard the name Peter McGuire mentioned, and that’s a conversation best saved for court.

Cassie smiled before leading in with the tray of meringue tarts. Rob smiled, “Three beautiful ladies and dessert? I must have died and gone to heaven.

Thanks guys. One of my favourite posts that one in a long time.

Sunday 9th August 2009

All is not rosy in the St Mirren camp. Rob and Patty had left at around 11am, allowing Tina to head into Paisley and tie up some loose ends. One of those loose ends was the registration for the next round of the Europa League and the fact that no real changes could be made. One player to not take the decision lightly was Brahim Hemdani.

I came here under the premise that I would play matches, especially in the Europa League. I haven’t yet and you consistently overlook me for registration, Tina,” he muttered, sat opposite his boss.

Brahim, I told you before that I just cannot register you for it. We only have the one spot spare, and you can’t have it because you aren’t a St Mirren youth. Wotton, Brandy, Parkhurst are all in the same boat as you, so get a grip on reality here.

You promised me a spot, Tina.

And if you keep talking you will most likely have lost your chance if we make it past Roma.

Brahim said nothing in reply, just stared coldly. Tina didn’t need this today, but Brahim was pushing her patience. There was absolutely nothing she could do about these players wanting to play against Roma. Her squad had been decided before they joined and there was simply no place for them. NOTHING could be done, but they were still less than happy.

Brahim left without saying another word, something Tina was glad for. There was an internal fax for her in the printing tray, from the finance department. The 8,016 all-seater St Mirren Park would have at least 2,000 guaranteed fans every game, the season ticket sales ending at just over 2,000. This would be St Mirren Park’s first season in the SPL, at least full anyway. Two thousand is a fairly decent amount of season tickets to sell, and at least a fair few amount of fans will turn up. Gilmour had been lurking and he made his into Tina’s office.

Decent season ticket sales,” he said, holding up his own copy of the sheet. “Obviously it’s the pull of a female manager,” he chuckled as he sat down.

Tina smiled, “What can I say? I’m just so damned attractive that people pay good money to see me manage a football club.

Like the female Mourinho,” he laughed in reply.

Tina began daydreaming, “Damn that man is a hunk,” she murmured before snapping back to reality, “Anyway, what brings you down here?

Nothing in all honesty, I’m just waiting for a phone call from a business associate. Why did I see Brahim Hemdani storm out of your office anyway?

Tina let out a massive sigh, “He seemingly thinks that I don’t want to give him a European place, even though I actually can’t. He doesn’t understand and it’s getting kind of aggravating.

Gilmour frowned, “How unprofessional of him. I’ll have a word,” he said whilst getting up to leave. “Don’t want it to seep through into the squad.

Gilmour pounded off to find the Algerian, leaving Tina to fax off the registration list for the AS Roma games. They were going to be extremely tough to navigate. A half hour passed and Tina headed down for training with Valter. As the players arrived in dribs and drabs, one person wasn’t present.

Where is Brahim?” asked Tina, Valter shrugging in response. As the training session began, Gilmour made his way down to Tina’s side.

Brahim stormed off after we spoke earlier,” he whispered. “The guy has some serious attitude at the minute. I don’t know where he is, but I guessed he wouldn’t turn up for training.

Tina frowned, “Fine him, Stewart. He needs to learn a lesson,” she said before heading back onto the field. Stewart watched her lead the session before heading back into the main building.

A lesson would be learnt, but whether it would be Brahim is a different matter.

Monday 10th August 2009

Sean Burns left today for Sunderland, the agent and club finally agreeing terms happy enough for both parties. The fee involved £240,000, a nice fee for the player. It was kind of odd for Tina as he was someone that she had chased back when she was with Livingston, but now felt that he deserved to move on. He’s only seventeen and still has plenty of time to find his feet.

One thing that did go well was the fining of Brahim Hemdani. He took it like a man and openly admitted to acting like a complete buffoon. He immediately indicated a willingness to improve his behaviour in the future. He was in line to start against Hibernian in five days, but now he would need to significantly convince Tina that he deserved to play.

There was one signing in from yesterday, but only finalised today as Dundee United moved to sign left back Javier Dorado. Javier, 32, moves on a free from Mallorca after spending three seasons with the Spanish side, making just two appearances. He will be competing with current left back Paul Dixon for the starting place over the season, hopefully aiming to make more than two appearances in his stay.

One odd event at the start of the Monday was a fax from Girona in Spain, asking if Tina would like to buy Jordi Xumetra from the club. If they were interested in the deal then they would reply to the fax and a subsequent DVD would head their way. Tina immediately scrapped the fax; she was not interested in any more players. One thing that did interest her was the seasonal review done by a Scottish newspaper. She picked it up and read about who would be challenging her side down at the bottom. And of course to check her own side out. It always interesting to hear what people say about your team.

ABERDEEN

Chairman: Stewart Milne

Stadium: Pittodrie Stadium (21,421)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 4th (14-11-13, 53 points)

Top Scorer: Lee Miller (10)

Manager: Mark McGhee

Captain: Mark Kerr

Summer Transfers

In: None

Out: Sone Aluko (Aston Villa, £1.6m)

Net Spend: £0

Last season was one to remember for Aberdeen, and is the main reason why this season McGhee is aiming to be repeat it. Aberdeen have yet to bolster their side in the summer window, but as such must feel that they don’t really require any major changes. Sone Aluko left the club to join his boyhood rivals Aston Villa, and as of right now is the only player to leave. McGhee has a real strong outfit at Pittodrie, and they will be contenders for the top four this season, that much is for sure.

CELTIC

Chairman: John Reid

Stadium: Celtic Park (60,355)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 2nd (24-10-4, 82 points)

Top Scorer: Scott McDonald (16)

Manager: Tony Mowbray

Captain: Stephen McManus

Summer Transfers

In: Sol Campbell (Free), Brice Dja Djedje (Paris St Germain, Season Loan), Felipe Baloy (Monterrey, £1.8m)

Out: Jason Marr (Rochdale, Season Loan), Charlie Grant (Dundee United, £12k), Graham Carey (Ross County, Season-Loan), Ryan Conroy (Oldham Athletic, £6k)

Net Spend: £1.86m

Celtic will be less than happy at having not won the SPL last season, and Tony Mowbray knows he has a challenge on his hands to do so this season. Teams like Aberdeen and Hearts could turn into severe threatening outfits if Mowbray fails to get it right this time. Former Celtic players have questioned the appointment of Mowbray, but he moved quickly to bolster the side with the unfair acquisition of Sol Campbell and Felipe Baloy, both excellent professionals of a different mould. Celtic’s problem will be believing in the ability to overcome Rangers this season and reclaim the title, but the biggest thing for them is the loss of Nakamura. And with McGeady still at Celtic, many hope that this season could see the reclamation of the title they so covet as their own. A top drawer striker wouldn’t go a miss, either.

DUNDEE UNITED

Chairman: Steven Thompson

Stadium: Tannadice Park (14,233)

2008-9 Record

Scottish Premier League: 5th (13-14-11, 53 points)

Top Scorer: Francisco Sandaza (10)

Manager: Craig Levein

Captain: Lee Wilkie

Summer Transfers

In: Charlie Grant (Celtic, £16k), Javier Dorado (Free)

Out: Cammy Howie (Released), Dale Hilson (Released), Brad Leitch (St Albans, Free), Marc McCallum (Released), Willie Robertson (Released), Marco Andreoni (Raith Rovers, Season-Loan)

Net Spend: £16k

Dundee continue to improve, and with Scotland-wanted Craig Levein at the helm then anything is possible. They haven’t really re-structured over the summer, Levein not feeling the need to do so. It’s also highly unlikely that a massive budget came his way, Dundee resorting to freebies and cheap deals. There are still some irons in the fire for Dundee, but news of any deal will reach you just as quick as us. Levein has Slovakian keeper Dusan Pernis arriving in January, and with former KV Mechelen midfielder N’Gom Camara on trial with the club, seems to have his mind set on the squad he already has. Lee Wilkie is captain for the season and will lead from the back after an excellent season just gone. That is when he of course returns from a seven week injury. What effect that will have on the start to Dundee’s season is yet to be seen.

Archived