January Challenge - Sport Boys

NeoAC - August 8th

Well, the Opening Stage is officially completed. Is the pink champagne flowing in Callao?

Regular Season (June + July)

Sport Boys 3 - 1 Universitario (Vargas, Gutierrez, Ibarra)

Bolognesi 2 - 3 Sport Boys (Cosme (3))

Sport Boys 0 - 0 Melgar

Deportivo Municipal 0 - 3 USMP (Gutierrez (2), Cosme)

Sport Boys 0 - 1 Alianza Lima

Cienciano 2 - 0 Sport Boys

Sport Boys 2 - 1 Alianza Atletico (Herrera, Bazalar)

League Table Yeah, I guess you can say we rock......

Thoughts So Far

The Chevy Halftime Top Performers, sponsored by Tab.

You can see the lads above who got us the Opening Stage win. Very, very nice. I was a bit worried after Del Solar was knocked out for 2 months, and our form did dip a fair bit without the veteran winger, but we held on. Had a quiet transfer window. Only brought in Kikin Flores from Sport Ancash for a paltry 2K. And unloaded unhappy backups Marco Flores and Omar Zegarra on Alianza Lima and Deportivo Cali respectively for a combine 24K. Not bad. The problem here is that after demoting Oscar Ibanez to the reserves, first-string keeper Augusto Rossell picked up an injury that will keep him out for a month. So for the first few games, I will have to go with an untested 21 year old Colombian, Jose de Avila, who I signed for free in February off of Carlos Sarimento. Will he do enough to keep Sport Boys in title contention? I sure hope so!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May and June Review - End of Opening Stage

Results

A decent run of results set up a grand finale to the season which saw me face fierce rivals Sporting Cristal in a match to decide the title. A win or a draw and it was mine, a loss and Sporting Cristal would win it.

Sporting Cristal vs Sport Boys

Was just about to get to half time when my DM got himself sent off. I immediately abandoned my plans to attack them and tried to hold on for the draw. Strangely I managed to score and Sporting Cristal just couldn't break us down.

Opening Stage Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Squad

Was a strange season, i never felt like the best team in the league but when i slipped up against weaker opposition, it seemed the other challengers did also. I'm definitely going to need to look carefully at improving my squad to repeat this in the closing stage.

NeoAC - September 1st

With a title in the first half of the season, Sport Boys are looking to repeat their success in the second half. But with an unproven 21 year old in net, can they get off to the right start?

Regular Season (August)

Arequipa Total 0 - 3 Sport Boys (Cosme(2), Herrera)

Sport Boys 3 - 0 Sport Ancash (Saraz, Herrera, Gutierrez)

Sport Boys 1 - 0 USMP (Cosme)

Sporting Cristal 1 - 1 Sport Boys (Cosme)

Sport Boys 3 - 1 Universitario (Herrera(2), Landauri)

League Table

Thoughts So Far

Well, looks like Cosme may have some competition as top Colombian at the club. de Avila has been brilliant, with 3 clean sheets in his first 5 games. We're holding strong ahead of Sporting Cristal. Just a funny note to pass along, Alianza Lima have declared bankruptcy, and a takeover is pending. Will it effect the league? Who knows?

August and September Review - Half way through the closing stage

Results

Closing Stage League Table

Overall League Table

A pretty poor run of results, my only hope is that no one has managed to pull that far away from me.

Squad

Still heavily relying on the original squad, although that useless Brazilian striker I signed is starting to get a few games.

October, November and December Review - End of the Closing Stage

Results

Closing Stage League Table

A poor run of form meant I was never really in with a chance of winning the closing stage, but it meant that the league was in for an interesting finish. Myself and Alianza Lima were level on points going into the last games.

Final Day Results

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Despite my poor form in the closing stage, I managed to just hang on to win the title.

Squad

Transfers

Finances

My dealings in the transfer market were pretty poor, most of them didn't really feature for my first team.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">January Challenge Leaderboard

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Username Achievements

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dafuge League winners with 84 points

CoachFlu Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 7th in opening stage)

migwar Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 9th in the opening stage)

Boskovic Sacked on 3.6.07 (was 11th in opening stage) </pre>

I'm in.

Did any of you think to check the free-kick or penalty attributes of your fat GK's?. icon_wink.gif

If I had to guess what would happen to me before it happens I would say the following.

1. Don't score many goals.

2. Don't concede many goals.

3. Don't get beat much.

4. Draw loads.

5. GK to score 5 goals this season.

6. Buy too many players.

7. All the players I buy will be carp.

8. I won't get sacked for on the pitch performance.

9. I might get sacked for the financial state of the club.

10. I will be in with a shout of winning all competitions but end up winning absolutely nothing.

Let's see how it goes icon_biggrin.gif.

Pre-season.

(A) Pink Boys 3 Virgen de Chapi 1.

The goal we conceded was a last minute penalty and Oscar (GK) smashed in a direct free-kick to keep up my tradition of far goal-scoring GK's..

(A) Pink Boys 0 Bella Esperanza 1.

Another last minute goal, (this time an own goal), meant that we lost despite bossing the game. We weren't playing the way my Mosside team play though and it looks like a tactic that works well on the potato fields of N.Ireland doesn't travel well to South America.

(A) Pink Boys 0 Sport Coopsol 0.

You won't see me complaining about nil-nil's. I love clean sheets, especially after conceding 2 last minute goals in previous 2 matches).

(H) Pink Boys 2 Pink Boys U20's 1.

We concede a first goal from open play as our youngsters play really well and worringly, look the better side for much of the game.

(A) Pink Boys 1 Atletico Chalaco 0.

I despense with a quick Target Man up front and replace him with 34 year old Ibarra who is far of a more typical Target Man. He rewards me with the goal.

Big Target Man found and tactic sorted so job done I think to myself. I can now dispense with the rest of pre-season and go get some Mojito's into me icon_wink.gif. The Ass Man controlled the rest of pre-season as we reverted from my preferred 41410 to his favoured 442.

(A) Pink Boys 2 U de America 0.

(A) Pink Boys 5 Union Huaral 0.

(H) Pink Boys 3 Pink Boys Reserves 0.

Transfers In. Not sure if any will be any good. ca't even really tell you by best eleven at the moment. I keep changing my mind.

League 1. (H) Pink Boys 5 Arequipa Total 1.

34 year old Target Man dropped to bench in favour of in form Colombian Herrera and he bags a hat-trick. Just to make me feel that it's my team, the GK Oscar smashes in a free-kick on his league debut. We concede from a corner late on, (I don't count goals conceded from set-peices) icon_wink.gif.

March.

League 2. (A) Pink Boys 0 Sporting Cristal 2. We concede a 70 yard opener when our fat GK is stranded upfield after taking a free-kick and they get a 2nd from a corner.

League 3. (H) Pink Boys 0 Alianza Atletico 0.

Looking good defensively but not offering enough going forward. Herrera who grabbed a hat-trick on the opening day of the season looks like a different player.

We are missing Araujo, Montano and Julio to injury so maybe that's part of the problem.

I drop Herrera to the Reserves after a poor showing in our last couple of games. He slots home 4 goals in a 6-0 win. He might be in line for a return.

Young Target man Curiel bagged an amazing 7 (seven) goals as our U20's ran riot and demolished hapless Arequipa Tota 12-0. If only the seniors could do the same.

League 4. (A) Pink Boys 0 Cenciano 1.

We score a legitimate goal from a corner but the ref rules it out and the FA are silent when I throw a strop in teh post-match press conference. It matters little. We're now down to 7th and have won only 1 of our opening 5 games.

NeoAC - October 1st

We're still atop the leaderboard, but can the boys keep their feet on the ground and continue to the play the kind of ball that got them there?

Regular Season (September)

Bolognesi 1 - 2 Sport Boys (Aparicio, Herrera)

Deportivo Municipal 0 - 0 Sport Boys

Sport Boys 1 - 2 Alianza Lima (Herrera)

Sport Boys 4 - 1 Melgar (Herrera, Cosme(2), Gomez)

Cienciano 1 - 1 Sport Boys (Escudero)

League Table

Thoughts So Far

September saw a slip in form, we really should have beat Deportivo, but the dagger in the hart came in the Alianza game, as Flavio Maestri scored his second goal in injury time to hand us our first loss of the second season. De Avila still played well, to be honest, he's a bit better than most 21-year-olds, but Rossell is back starting. With both my 1st and 2nd string right wingers down for another month, production has slipped, it might explain the poor form. Hopefully October will see a return to earlier results.

April.

League 6. (H) Pink Boys 2 Municipal 0.

With the score still 0-0 at half time I throw a bit of a wobbly and dispense with my tried and trusted 41410 tactic. These Perucians seem to have a penchant for playing 3 at the back and it just negates the space that I try and exploit. I opt fo a 442 diamond, (that I have never played before), put a few fecks into the players and send them out with my shouts ringing in their ears and the crockery smashing around them. A penalty and a cross that drifts in ease the pressure a tad as we give them a right old doing in the 2nd half. More of the samen will be needed if we are to move up the table.

League position 6th.

8 of the players are slightly concerned that I am not giving the team enough credit.

The 2nd half against Municipal showed me enough to make me scrap the N.UIrish 41410 tactic for good. 442 diamond Target Man is the new tactic.

League 7. (A) Pink Boys 2 Melgar 2.

Wow. What a game. I've been used to watching a pretty ropey style of pley with my N.Ireland save and this was such a change. REALLY pleasing on the eye. We scored 4 goals but the ref chalked 2 of them off. We should have won but could have lost. great game. Jose on the right flank had an absolute stormer.

League position 7th.

League 8. (H) Pink Boys 1 Alianza Lima 2.

Almost a very valuble point earned against the league leaders, but an injury time 60 yard exocet of a strike into the top corner after another GK free-kick was cleared quickly left us with nothing. Good performance though.

League position 7th.

League 9. (A) Pink Boys 0 Bolognesi 3. It's just not happening for us. We hit the post in the first minute and they go straight up the other end and score. We have a goal dissalowed and they score from a penalty and a free-kick. It's tiny little things that are hurting us at the minute.

League position 8th.

League 10. (A) Pink Boys 2 Sport Ancash 2.

We fight back from 2-0 down but to be honest our defending was pitiful. They should have scored about 6. Much more of this and I will resign before I can be sacked.

May.

League 11. (H) Pink Boys 0 Universitario 0.

I think I changed formation and tactics about 72 times during this game. I have officially lost the plot. I can't cope when the AI plays 3 at the back, so much so that I have no completely lost confidence in whatever limited ability I had to create tactics of any sort.

League position 8th.

League 12. (H) Pink Boys 1 Arequipa Total 0.

I reverted to 1 up front and an attacking midfield triangle that seemed to work better but we still gave a cery poor team far too many chances. Still, 2 clean sheets on the bounce should not be sniffed at and 3 games undefeated is probably a record.

League position 8th.

League 13. (A) Pink Boys 0 USMP 0.

A 3rd consecutive clean sheet and a 4th game undefeated is cause for optomism, (as was the general pattern of play), but yet again we failed to take our chances, (even when the opposition were down to 10 men).

League position 8th.

League 14. (H) Pink Boys 1 Sporting Cristal 1.

Our local rivals line up in a 352 formattion from the start and I am filled with an ominous feeling of dread. Surprisingly, we start well and dominate the game from start to finish. They do not have a single shot on target all game but score a flukey deflected free-kick and our hard work and excellent performance is rewarded with a late equaliser to extend our unbeaten run to 5 games.

League position 8th.

21 year old SC Monar scores 5 goals against Cienciano Reserves in his first start for the Reserves and warrants immediate inclusion on the bench as we lose Alegria to injury. Scoring goals is our problem and I will give anyone and anything a chance at the moment.

League 15. (H) Pink Boys 4 Cienciano 1.

Excellent performance. They were lucky to get 1 and we could have had about 8. That's 6 games undefeated now.

League position 7th.

June.

League 16. (A) Pink Boys 1 Deportivo Municipal 1.

We were denied 2 penalties and had a goal disallowed. Despite that we led with 2 minutes to go but fete conspired to steal 2 points away from us. Right winger Jose went on 9 mazy dribbles which is a personal record for me in FM08. He scored our goal at the end of one of these that took him from inside his own half. Upset to be denied 3 points so late on but happy that we're still undefeated in 7 games now.

League position 7th.

League 17. (A) Pink Boys Aliana Atletico.

It was a tight old game and set pieces certainly seem to be our achilles heel and we once again concede from a corner early on. We have a glorious chance in injury time but Santiago fires wide with me already celebrating. Our unbeaten run has come to an end.

League position 8th.

With 5 games remaining before the half-way stage of the season, (or whatever it's called in Peruland), it looks likely that I will get the chop during the break unless I can improve the league position before then. Our remaining games see us play 1st, 2nd, 4th 9th & 11th placed teams. It's not looking good.

League 18. Pink Boys 0 Melgar 1.

In a game that could be used by many in GQ to prove that the end of the World is nigh, we absolutely batter them from start to finish yet still lose 1-0. We have a penalty saved, a goal disallowed and generally beat them in all areas of the pitch except when it comes to the end and we have to count up who has scored the most goals.

League position 8th.

I miss N.Ireland. At lesat there you have a Cup game every couple of weeks if the going gets tough in the league. I didn't realise how spoilt I was. It's one bloomin hard slog with league game after league game after league game with no light relief in between.

League 19. (A) Pink Boys 0 Alianza Lima 5.

Not much to say really. If this wasn't a challenge I think I would probably resign.

League position 8th.

Wednesday 13th June. SACKED!

I've absolutely loved and hated doing this challenge at the same time. I've really enjoyed the different style of play in South America and I've enjoyed battling unsuccesfully against 3 at the back formations. I love South American names for footballers. I think this goes back to the Paraguayans that I signed from Olimpia in an old dafuge challenge.

I didn't like the fact that there were no Cups, or not yet anyway, (can't wait to return to N.Ireland), where there are more Cup games than league games each year and i absolutely HATE that I was sacked. I think that this is the first time I have ever been sacked in FM. Don't get me wrong, I've been carp before but I have always jumped before i was pushed. It's not a good feeling.

Anyway, really enjoyed this(ish), and will definately be doing the next one, thanks dafuge. I would REALLY recommend this to someone else. It doesn't take too long and is a bit of a refreshing change if you have never managed in South America.

NeoAC - November 1st

With last month somewhat lacking in the form department, could the Sport Boys pick it up and scare up some performances?

Regular Season (September)

Sport Boys 2 - 1 Alianza Atletico (Linares, Corcuera)

Sport Boys 3 - 1 Arequipa Total (Herrera, Gutierrez, Corcuera)

Sport Ancash 1 - 2 Sport Boys (Cosme, Herrera)

USMP 2 - 2 Sport Boys (Cosme, Herrera)

Sport Boys 2 - 1 Sporting Cristal (Herrera, Ramos(OG))

League Table (Closing Stage)

League Table (Overall)

Thoughts So Far

Well, the month got off to an inauspicious start, as three midfielders were sent off in the win over Alianza.

Red 3, standing by.

But the team played well enough to get 13 of 15 points this month, the only blight being a horrible display of defending against USMP. I was ready to let the team have it until a great performance against our biggest competitors. We're now four clear of Cristal in the closing stage and twelve clear in total. We could have the overall title locked up by the middle of next month, which would be great.

I allowed my assistant to control the friendlies.

Lawn Tennis (a) 1-1 Saraz.

Alcides Vigo (a) 0-1 Araujo.

UNMSM (a) 1-2 Saraz(2).

Estudiantes de Medicina (a) 1-1 Cruzado.

Virgen de Chapi (a) 0-2 Cruzado, Ibarra.

Union Minas (a) 1-4 Saraz, Colan, Herrera(2).

Statistics.

Goals scored 11.

Goals against 4.

Games won 4.

Games drew 2.

Games lost 0.

Thanks for the kudos, Jimbo, I did not disappoint.

NeoAC - December 16th - End of the Season

The finish line is in sight, and the Sport Boys lead the pack. Can we finish off the competition and claim the title?

Regular Season (November+December)

Universitario 1 - 3 Sport Boys (Cosme, Herrera, Araujo)

Sport Boys 2 - 0 Bolognesi (Cosme, Herrera)

Melgar 4 - 1 Sport Boys (Del Solar)

Sport Boys 2 - 0 Deportivo Municipal (Gomez, Saraz)

Alianza Lima 3 - 1 Sport Boys (Cosme)

Sport Boys 0 - 1 Cienciano

Alianza Atletico 3 - 3 Sport Boys (Cosme, Corcuera, Herrera)

League Tables

Well, thanks to the tremendous drop in form, I lost the battle.....

League Table (Closing Stage)

But I did win the war...... League Table (Overall)

Thoughts Now That It's Over

Well, mission accomplished folks, Sport Boys have their first title in 23 years. And, I'd like to say it was a team effort, but really, its all thanks to the all-foreign strike force of Jose Herrera and the Calamity from Colombia, Wilberto Cosme. Cosme and Herrera finished 1-2 in both Player of the Year and Top Goalscorer. Cosme also finished 1-2 in for signing of the year with Jean Ferrari. Cosme was the leader of the 5 Sport Boys in the Team of the Year, joined by Herrera, Fernando Del Solar, Rodrigo Saraz and Jorge Araujo. Can I just officially nominate Cosme for this years signing of the year awards? Ah well, now for the rest of the required screenshots. Just ignore anything that happened in January, I skipped ahead a bit before taking them.

Squad

Finances Transfers

Footnotes

--Due to Alianza Lima's problems, 8 of their regulars have signed overseas.

--A $250,000 offer for Jose de Avila from Medellin was been accepted by my chairman, as well as a $300,000 offer from Club America. He went to Medellin.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">January Challenge Leaderboard

Username Achievements

NeoAC League winners with 93 points

dafuge League winners with 84 points

CoachFlu Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 7th in opening stage)

Jimbokav1971 Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 8th in opening stage)

migwar Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 9th in the opening stage)

Boskovic Sacked on 3.6.07 (was 11th in opening stage) </pre>

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

I reloaded the savegame to check whether I was indeed 7th when I got the sack, and it turned out - as I suspected - that I was actually 8th.

Not that it matters much, but correct is correct. icon_smile.gif

Cheers for that, I think I just went on your most recent screenshot and got 7th.

dafuge. Maybe you could do 2 leagua tables, (as it doesn't seem too mental at the moment).

One for the individual chaallenge and one for on a rolling cululative basis.

If the Jan table was as follows.

January Challenge Leaderboard

Username Achievements

1st. (6 points). NeoAC League winners with 93 points

2nd. (5 points). dafuge League winners with 84 points

3rd. (4 points). CoachFlu Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 8th in opening stage)

3rd. (4 points). Jimbokav1971 Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 8th in opening stage)

5th. (2 points). migwar Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 9th in the opening stage)

6th. (1 point). Boskovic Sacked on 3.6.07 (was 11th in opening stage)

The cumulative rolling table would then look like this.

1st. (6 points). NeoAC

2nd. (5 points). dafuge

3rd. (4 points). CoachFlu

3rd. (4 points). Jimbokav1971

5th. (2 points). migwar

6th. (1 point). Boskovic

This might encourage more people to try and the scoring system would mean that although people who had participated with every challenge, winning just 1 popular challenge might be enough to send you flying up the leaderboard.

Whatever you think dafuge, but if the number of people participating increases then so do the points available for winning so it would be quite easy to move up the table this way, (unlike if we game 10 points for 1st and down 1 point for 10th).

Anyway, just a suggestion and completely up to you.

I might dig straight into the new challenge. When roughly are you going to announce it?

I might dig straight into the new challenge.

Do you think you could privately let me know what it is? I've got free time this weekend after an extremely busy month so I'd like to get it done now so I don't have to worry about it later on.

Still gutted I didn't quite finish the last one due to other commitments, I was about half through the opening stage.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Whatever you think dafuge, but if the number of people participating increases then so do the points available for winning so it would be quite easy to move up the table this way, (unlike if we game 10 points for 1st and down 1 point for 10th).

I might dig straight into the new challenge. When roughly are you going to announce it?

An idea I had earlier was a medals table, with gold, silver and bronze medals for top three finishes and a 'challenges entered' column.

I was planning on getting something started for February tonight, so probably later on this evening.

Stickying the monthly challenge sounds like a good idea.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

An idea I had earlier was a medals table, with gold, silver and bronze medals for top three finishes and a 'challenges entered' column.

I was planning on getting something started for February tonight, so probably later on this evening.

Stickying the monthly challenge sounds like a good idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Football Manager Olympics Style. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Stickying the monthly challenge sounds like a good idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Football Manager Olympics Style. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gificon14.gificon_cool.gif

January Challenge Leaderboard

Username                    Achievements

NeoAC                       League winners with 93 points
dafuge                      League winners with 84 points

CoachFlu                    Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 8th in opening stage)
Jimbokav1971                Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 8th in opening stage)
migwar                      Sacked on 13.6.07 (was 9th in the opening stage)
Boskovic                    Sacked on 3.6.07 (was 11th in opening stage) 

Medals Leaderboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Username                    Gold    Silver    Bronze      Challenges Played
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NeoAC                       1       0         0           1
dafuge                      0       1         0           1
CoachFlu                    0       0         1           1
Jimbokav1971                0       0         1           1
migwar                      0       0         0           1
Boskovic                    0       0         0           1

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Don't Jimbokav1971 and CoachFlu both get the bronze medal as they finished the same? Is this open to still complete to get a place on the specific challenge leaderboard? (and have no effect at all on the 3 medal placings)

Thanks for that, forgot to adjust Coachflu's placing.

There will be a new challenge open soon (hopefully tonight).

Archived