Foreign interest in British Players

The perceived lack of ability amongst English players is so exaggerated. For every Defoe, there's a Balotelli. For every Ibrahimovic, there's a Rooney. At the top level, players from continental Europe are no more or less "skill based" or "physique based" than English ones, except the defenders who tend to be better at bringing the ball out (Rio Ferdinand is no Koeman or Rijikard).

Did Gazza get rejected by Lazio fans because he was British? Was Waddle hated by Marseille? Barcelona signed Lineker because of his pace and strength, not his finishing ability and movement, and likewise Rush at Milan and Owen at Madrid. I think that's nonsense.

If other leagues require a higher level of technique, and most British players do not possess this, then why do so many Spanish players apparently possess it?

I think the movement of managers is more important. If British managers moved abroad, they'd take British players with them. See: Martinez, Wenger, Venables.

Firsly, to say that there is no difference in strength, stamina or physical difference between England and other countries, then you must totally be dilusional.

Spanish players, like Brazlians, Italians, Argentines etc, on average have far better technique, and play their games at a far slower pace - mainly due to climate. (Ie England is cooler, thus there actually can perform at a higher pace for longer periods)

To answer your question, if every player was on even level with skill and on a physical level, then why do we not see Indian players, Chinese players and other nations with a high population (and a high amount of football players registered at a core level) playing in top leagues?

The truth is that some nations produce higher level of talent based on the styles of their country. Throughout history this rarely changes and history does not lie - English players will always base their game around the physical aspec and it is very rarely we see a technical gem appear out of England.

Comparing Rooney to Ibrahimovic? Pears and apples much? Balotelli to Defoe?

Already we have a vast difference in technique here with Defor basically basing his game on speed and Rooney basing his game on his work rate and team work. (not to mention having a marvelous team behind him at both International level and at club level.)

Balotelli is only a youngster and will be miles and miles ahead of Defor in terms of technique and skill and no one can even compare Ibrahimovic to Rooney - very different players - with Ibra being masterful with his techniqie on the ball, especially for a man his size.

The English game is extreemly physical and a lot of players struggle to adapt to this kind of play. Most English players, even ones like Lampard and Gerrard aren't actually very technical at all even if they appear so to the average fan across England. Most of these English stars are pure potency and quite frankly are also nice and snug in their little comfort zones of their clubs and perform very well for their clubs also due to their complete comfort of the lifestyle of the country and dominance of style of the league they play in.

Also, Rush played at Juventus, not Milan.

Also most of the exports from the EPL to over-seas leagues have been total failures.

I agree though that to some extent, it is due to very few managers abroad from England that not many English players go overseas, but at the same time, English players do not posessed the flair that excites the crowds...so neutral managers and fans would most likely prefer to bring in a South American to their team.

That too however, I perceive as a lack of skill at a fundemental level. Poor technical players will make poor technical managers. That is why most English managers are very poor and while they are managing at the top level, other than Sir Alex Ferguson (who is Scottish) every few Brittish managers will go to top clubs around the World and perform at the highest level and stay at the highest level. (ie like a Mourinho etc)

Maybe you can tell me how many English managers have won a European Cup? How many World Cups England has won? Or how many World Cups England has failed to qualify for, compared to lets say Italy, Germany or Brazil.

If there were no difference in player skills around the World, then why do we spend the vast millions to bring in a skillful player, which ultimately WILL NOT BE ENGLISH, not even in the EPL.

In my opinion, it is money that makes the EPL what it is, not the English players.

I am sorry to say but no, for every Ibrahimovic there isn't always a Rooney.

England has very serious problems with a lack of depth and skill in their playing ranks, especially up front.

I would also safely bet that players like Lampard, Gerrard and a whole other host of players would be a fish out of water outside the EPL and would have definately not had the careers they have now - and would have ended up the same way Owen did at Real Madrid, like Gazza did at Lazio (I am sorry but I consider Gazza a flop in Italy, he was okay but nothing great.) and Ian Rush at Juventus. I would even add Robbie Keane to that list of players, even though he is Irish.

One of the few players I really liked was Ince at Inter and possibly Mcmanaman at Real Madrid. I know there have been a few others, but few and far between.

That is why all the top clubs in England basically have a foreign striker up front and I doubt that has anything to do with the nationality of the Manager, even though you might find some correlation. (I am now talking about foreigners going to EPL because the EPL is flooded with foreign managers.)

I understand some of your points and agree with them, but the others it seems your have just become a tad defensive about the English league.

In my opinion only in the last 5 years has the EPL become a lot more technical and is a lot more competitive than other leagues, but this is due to the high level of marketing and scope of the league and its huge attraction for all kinds of foreign players.

I just hope this thread is not offensive to any people from England. I am just stating my opinion.

England has a fantastic national side and you have a great chance of winning the World Cup in South Africa, I just hope you have enough depth to pull it off and maybe winning the cup will allow people to bring in more Englishmen to their clubs (especially within the EPL where we had the first ever EPL game with no Englishmen fielded).

Good day all. :thup:

Archived