Rescuing A Ruined Football World (FMS Characters)

HorusFM

Thanks alot SCIAG, kind words.

June 21st 2078 – 12:12pm

Gennaro pounded his way down to the holding room where Tina and St Mirren would be. As he found her, he pulled her away from the rest of the team.

Tina,” he said, “I need to take you somewhere.

Tina nodded with a smile, “Not a problem. Lead the way,” she replied.

Gennaro nodded, and then strode away to the Dream Flux Monitoring Department. Tina followed silently, naturally taking in her surroundings. As they reached the room, the guard waved them in and Tim met them as they entered.

Is everything set up?” asked Gennaro as he pointed at the computer screen in front of them.

Tim nodded, “Everything is ready. Just need Tina to sit in this seat.

Gennaro showed Tina where to go, and she did so, sitting in the seat designated by Tim. As she sat down, one of his assistants attached a head piece to her skull. Tim pressed a button, before watching as Tina fell asleep.

We’re now going to re-ignite her dream. Hopefully her previous dream pattern will recognise the link we are sending and establish a link itself to our computer.

Gennaro nodded and watched as Tina started to twitch, much like people do in their sleep when dreaming. Eventually the computer beeped, meaning the link had successfully connected. Gennaro took this as a cue to sit down, and he too had his own skull cap. Tim pressed the same button, and Gennaro fell asleep.

March 3rd 2009

As Gennaro’s eyes opened, he had turned up in Tina’s dream. One person he spotted was familiar after the kidnaps; Rob Ridgway. He was talking to Tina, as Phil Sharp conversed with another, older looking man. Gennaro didn’t know him, but he didn’t care. He made his way across the football pitch to Tina and Rob. Rob looked at him with a piercing stare, as if he was invading on something he didn’t deserve to.

Tina? Can I have a word with you?” asked Gennaro tentatively.

Tina nodded, “Sure. I’ll be right back, Rob,” she said before walking a little distance with Gennaro. “Who are you?

My name is Rick Gennaro, Tina. You don’t know me, and probably never will. But I need your help.

How can I help you if I don’t even know you?

I need you to show me to a man named Daniel Knight,” said Gennaro, pointing to the book that Tina had with her. It was in the hands of Eric Harrison, who was still talking with Phil Sharp.

He’s already left. He had to go sort out Paul Spooner.

Please, Tina. Do you know how to get him back?

Tina threw a puzzled look at Gennaro, “Not really. But he appeared in my dream through the book so I guess that is the way in.

Gennaro motioned to the book, “Let’s go take a look.

They both walked across to Phil Sharp and Eric Harrison. The American looked at Gennaro with an extreme hatred. While Tina took the book, Phil pulled Gennaro aside.

You aren’t supposed to be here,” he said, eyeing up Gennaro with disdain, “You should leave immediately.”

I need to be here. Please, let me get on with my duties,” he replied, ignoring the stares he was receiving. Tina now turned back to him. She tapped the book twice before smiling.

Here he comes,” she said, watching as Daniel Knight emerged from nowhere. Gennaro smiled to himself as the Portsmouth manager came across.

Tina said you wanted to see me?

Gennaro nodded, “I need you to come with me, Daniel,” he said before using a shot gun to implant the chip in his neck. No-one had noticed what had happened, and as soon as Tim back in 2078 had seen, he pulled them both out of the dream. Tina woke up naturally after the dream finished. As she woke up she saw Gennaro and smiled.

“I saw you in my dream. You aren’t as handsome as that Rob Ridgway fellow though,” she said before spotting Knight. “Daniel! Good to see you again,” she said before drifting back off to sleep.

Gennaro took Daniel and Tina back to the holding rooms before they were sent on their way. He relaxed in his office as soon as they had left, revelling in the fact he finally had a break.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But then, who is? :D

Great stuff, Gav. Love the concept and am looking forward to seeing where you take this.

I figured that would be obvious, 10-3. :D:p

Gav, I can only echo 10-3's sentiments - this idea has taken life far beyond what I expected when you first told me about it.

Personally, I think I'm handsomer. My mum said so. Thanks alot guys. Here is some football for those who are reading for that purpose!

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW - Universal League Trophy Part 1/4 - 15th July 2078

So here we are. After such a whirlwind of events that we aren’t even allowed information on, we have a new league system, a new cup competition and a new found hope. We kicked our season off with the newly named Universal League Trophy, and we no doubt expected many, many television viewers. For those of you who didn’t catch it, here are the match reports from the games we chose to attend and report on. It was done at random, so no jealousy please! Our first report comes from Jacek Vlchik, who went to see Nottingham Forest take on the might of Italy, Pro Vercelli.

Cohen To The Top

Chris Cohen put in a terrific man of the match performance to help Nottingham Forest bumble their way past Italian side Pro Vercelli.

A Riccardo Corallo own goal one minute into the second half got the ball rolling for Forest, but it would take a Robert Earnshaw solo effort to set the victory on its way.

But it would be Chris Cohen who stole the show with a performance that had Forest boss Stephen Beckett raving. “Chris [Cohen] had an absolutely excellent game for us. We aren’t too fit after our exploits in pre-season, but he helped to gel the side together. His passing, vision and movement were second to none and that allowed us to push forward and eventually seal the victory I think we rightfully deserved. I hope we can expect this all season, and help us to push for success.

Vercelli dominated the early exchanges, and surprisingly, came close through Brazilian striker Anderson, who left the gloves of Camp stinging. Andrea Ciolli had the other early chance for Vercelli, the defender heading just wide despite being unmarked in the box.

Despite Forest eventually getting back into the game, the first incident of note came just before half time when Joel Lynch mistimed his challenge on Marco Cristini. It sadly ended his involvement in the game, meaning Vercelli’s San Marinese boss Fabio Scipio needed to bring on Domenico Bettini. Scipio was furious at how Lynch escaped even a booking, saying “The full backs challenge was awful, and it could have ended Cristini’s season before it had even begun. I’m bitterly disappointed that the referee failed to book him and personally think that he was scared to send him off. If this game had been played in the winter, Cristini would have a broken leg, and then he would have been sent off.

Vercelli never seemed to gain any strength after the loss of Cristini, and after half time they went a goal down. A terrific move by Cohen through the centre allowed Majewski the chance to bypass the defender, and it was his shot that clattered off defender Corallo and bobbled past his keeper. It was a disappointing goal to concede, but one that couldn’t be helped upon.

The game suffered a dip in class as Vercelli just sat back. It would take the introduction of David McGoldrick 68 minutes in to change the tide, and eventually get the second and all important goal. It was his pass that allowed Earnshaw to break free from his own box sending him on a full pitch run that ended with Corallo sliding in, missing, and Earnshaw tucking the ball past Castagnone to seal the victory.

Nottingham Forest boss Stephen Beckett;

We were dominant for most periods of the game and fully deserved our win. You have to respect Vercelli for not turning sour after the accident to Cristini, but eventually we broke through and got the goals we deserved. I’m really proud of Cohen and hope he and we can build on this for the rest of the season.

Vercelli boss Fabio Scipio;

The whole game changed on that horror tackle. He should be okay, but the intent for malice was there from the Forest player and he wasn’t penalised as he should have been. Saying that, we never really threatened the Forest goal apart from the early motions and that cost us too. I’m hoping for an improvement in our next game.

Nottingham Forest 2 (Corallo OG 45, Earnshaw 82)

Pro Vercelli 0

Group A Results;

Central Rosario 5 – 0 Alliance 01

(Valentini 15, Garcia 19, 54, Spina 59, Gori 90, Ballini s/off 38)

Pau FC 4 – 1 Grorud

(Zine 5, Carneiro 33, Bikei 51, 74; Vik 76)

Group B Results;

Blyth Spartans 1 – 0 Jeunesse Esch

(Harrison 11, s/off 38)

Leeds United 3 – 1 Kettering

(Snodgrass 8, Crowe 30, Somma 80, Marques s/off 13; Spencer 64)

Group C Results;

CS Hobscheid 1 – 2 West Bromwich Albion

(Kohl 54; Berahino 17, Waghorn 64)

Elgoibar 2 – 1 Carlisle United

(Kepa 28, 77; Rothery pen89)

Group D Results;

Nottingham Forest 2 – 0 Pro Vercelli

(Corallo OG 45, Earnshaw 82)

Wigan Athletic 3 – 0 US Rumelange

(Sinclair 58, Serrano 64, Edman 76)

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW - Universal League Trophy Part 2/4 - 15th July 2078

Our second report comes from Spanish correspondent Miguel Santorno, who was present for the big one, Manchester United vs. East Fife. And boy, be ready to be surprised.

Bailing Out Fife

An excellent goalkeeping save and extreme lacklustre shooting prevented a fairly strong Manchester United side from taking all three points at New Bayview.

A goalless affair awaited all involved as Manchester United made the short trip to East Fife in Scotland. Though I suppose all trips are short when you teleport.

A top notch goalkeeping display from Stewart Baillie in the Fife goal was a joy to behold, the keeper making numerous saves to prevent his side from going behind. But in all truth, it was the Man Utd shooting that made the biggest impact on the game.

The truth is that Baillie only made one save in the whole match, but by god it was bloody important. An excellent run down the right allowed John Cofie the time to pick out a superb pass to Nicky Ajose in the centre. Despite being at full stretch, his toe made contact with the ball, pushing it goalwards. Baillie’s original positioning was awful, but he recovered with superb reflexes to get down and palm the ball just past the post. There was only inches in it.

The truth about the game though is Man Utd’s poor shooting. Six chances fell to Ajose and Cofie, but neither youngster could even force a save let alone score a goal. Ajose sent two one-on-ones wide while Cofie sent a header sprawling over the bar, despite not being challenged. You must put it down to the youth of Mark Wilson’s side, who’s oldest player was Kuszczak in goal at 27. The problem with blaming it on the youth is that some key players were involved in the game, players such as Nani and Anderson who both had major roles in the midfield. The service was poor all afternoon and that contributed to the strikers inability to convert any of their clear cut chances.

Manchester United will need to readily improve for their next game, while East Fife will be happy with their pickings. Fife did have a couple of their own chances, but they failed to take them. Paul McManus and Jordyn Sheerin missed sitters in the first half, goals that might have sent the game down a different path. But it had to be a rugged performance from the Fife midfield and defence that sealed the impressive point for the Scottish minnows. Lewis Grayling was more than happy with the result.

East Fife boss Lewis Grayling;

I’m still really shocked that we have come away from this game with a point. We were never even considered favourites to take a goal let alone a point, but here we are. Baillie’s save was the key moment in the match for us and that allowed my side to push on and grind out the result. It’s a bittersweet point for us, and we will look back on this as a great point in our season. Granted that their side was a weakened one, but they’re still a formidable side.

Manchester United boss Mark Wilson;

Our shooting was bloody awful today and I take full blame for us only coming home with a point. We dominated the game, but my own negligence to bring an experienced striker cost us what would have been three points. I’m happy with how we played, the possession play and defensive phases were impressive, but we really need to improve in the next game. You can count on seeing some more familiar faces next time.

East Fife 0

Manchester United 0

Group E Results;

Eintracht Braunschweig 1 – 2 Newcastle United

(Hauk 68; Airey 19, Vuckic 28)

Swift Hesperange 1 – 1 Macclesfield Town

(Amolvin 61; Wilson 21)

Group F Results;

Airbus UK Broughton 0 – 2 Bodo/Glimt

(Sorensen 36, Bremnes 62)

Stalybridge Celtic 0 – 5 Portsmouth

(Barlow s/off 30; Walshe 12, Jensen 13, Deghiche 37, Williams 54, 67)

Group G Results;

Wormeldange 0 – 4 Atletico Madrid

(Cedric 2, Borja 13, 85, Koke pen89)

Group H Results;

Ferencvaros 2 – 1 Barnet

(Kovacs 15, Zsivocsky 66; Furlong 2)

Kaerjeng 1 – 2 Celtic

(Polidori 14; Forest 16, Maloney 29)

Group I Results;

East Fife 0 – 0 Manchester United

Petange 1 – 3 Bristol City

(Dutheil 39, Pott s/off 46; Plummer 48, 60, Akinde 78)

Delighted with a 4-0 Atlético victory... but United drawing with East Fife?!?

I take it you made the competition low ranking, so teams won't put out their strongest side.

That would be the only way you could explain Phil Airey and Haris Vukcic being the goalscorers in my Newcastle side's victory...

That would be the only way you could explain Phil Airey and Haris Vukcic being the goalscorers in my Newcastle side's victory...

It also explains why I've not even heard of two of my players :p Other than that, well done Samir Deghiche and Irving Jensen. :D

I've heard of Haris Vukcic, but not Phil Airey.

Vukcic is actually a precocious youth talent, I think he's 16 and Slovenian? Airey's been in the Newcastle academy for years but he's just a garbage striker. He'll be lighting up the front line for the likes of Hampton and Richmond Borough in a year or two...

Thanks for the feedback. The cup competition is set to the equivalent of the League Cup in England, so whatever the managers decide to do in terms of squad choice is theirs now. Phil Airey is only 17, but hasn't shown much premise as a future player. Vuckic is very talented. Two shocking results in this phase!

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW - Universal League Trophy Part 3/4 - 15th July 2078

The third report of our first week of the Universal League Trophy comes from Joel Hart, the Scotsman travelling to see the Sheffield Wednesday vs. Stade de Reims match.

Spurring On Wednesday

A strong Sheffield Wednesday side beat Reims on their home patch thanks to a terrific Man of the Match performance from Tommy Spurr.

Sheffield Wednesday, led by Ernie Grimshaw, went to Reims expecting a tougher challenge than they received. A first half header from Tommy Spurr was followed by a second half Akpo Sodje finish.

It was the performance of youngster Tommy Spurr that caught everyone’s eye, the defender putting in a several top notch tackles to prevent Reims’ striker Cedric Faure from getting into the game. His goal capped a performance that would have made anyone proud.

The goal itself was a well worked piece of movement, Jermaine Johnson breaking down the right at breakneck speed. The Jamaican reached the by-line before crossing into Sodje’s path. His effort skewed up into the air, allowing Tommy Spurr to loop an excellent header over the head of Reims keeper Thibault Ferrand. The goal was dubious though, Sodje adjudged to have forced Ferrand away from the ball, resulting in his leap for the header being short. “The striker impeded my way,” he said to us, “And that prevent me from jumping up for the ball. If he hadn’t of done that, I feel I would have saved it and the game could have been totally different.

Reims did have their own chances, but despite registering more shots on target than Wednesday they failed to hit the back of the net. Faure was the main culprit, sending a free header into the hands of Grant while Simek cleared a Thiam header off the line with his left knee. Reims never looked comfortable in the game, and will need to fight much harder if are they are to harbour hopes of staying in the top league this season.

Despite looking dangerous in midfield, Reims couldn’t pull level and it would be Wednesday who stole the points with their second goal. A well worked piece of play between O’Connor and Potter resulted in Sodje breaking free on goal. He tucked away past Ferrand with ease, but then got embroiled in a tassle with the chasing fullback Tacalfred. Both players were booked for their poor behaviour, but the cards didn’t take the shine off an excellent opening win for Wednesday.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Ernie Grimshaw;

We came here as tha underdogs, but pulled off a massive coup in beating them on their own turf. Tommy Spurr played excellently and we have every reason to be proud of him. He scored a magnificent goal that gave us tha incentive to push on and eventually seal tha win. Akpo did a fine job up front for us with Luke [boden], and I think I’ll keep them for the next match.

Stade de Reims boss Marcel Verve;

We were really poor out there today. We gave Wednesday every reason to hit us with everything they had, and that in itself cost us our own integrity at the back. We were poor upfront, and it’s something I will need to look at over the coming days. The goals were poor to concede, though I do think we were unlucky with the first as it was certainly a foul.

Stade de Reims 0

Sheffield Wednesday 2 (Spurr 32, Sodje 74)

Group J Results;

Stade de Reims 0 – 2 Sheffield Wednesday

(Spurr 32, Sodje 74)

Stocksbridge Park Steels 0 – 3 Alfreton Town

(Hearn 40, Howell 53, Hall 68)

Group K Results;

Leicester City 1 – 2 Universitario

(Howard 2; Alva 66, 74)

Mertzig 0 – 3 Sengkang Punggol

(Diederich s/off 83; Sahdan 33, Tan 65, Diallo 72, Salleh s/off 78)

Group L Results;

Aston Villa 2 – 1 Rodange

(Weimann 5, Collins 26; Karic 30)

Newport County 2 – 1 Reading

(Reid 37, Gilroy 80; McAnuff 38)

Group M Results;

Chimney Corner 1 – 2 Greenock Morton

(Johnston 8; Reid 79, Melville 88)

Rushden & Diamonds 2 – 1 AZ Alkmaar

(Smith 9, 24; Pelle 84)

Some interesting results indeed.

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW - Universal League Trophy Part 4/4 - 15th July 2078

Our last random match report of this opening Trophy week comes from Bob Hall in Wales as Elements Cefn Druids hosted Brazilian side Ferroviario.

Elements Too Much For Druids

An extremely wet and heated affair at Plaskynaston Lane saw two red cards and a whole host of controversy.

Jeff Jarvis’s immediate words after this heated affair in Wales were, “We were lucky to escape with just a red card.” And he was right, after a fight between Christiano and Tom Rowlands ended with both being given their marching orders. The rain didn’t help matters as fouls were rife in a game that was sparred with outbreaks of aggression.

Despite this, the rain seemed no problem for Ferroviario’s attacking force, and they took the lead early in the first half through Tiago Sousa. The young striker was played through by Cearense, and he held his composure well to tuck the ball past stranded Druids keeper Gerard McGuigan. That paved the way for Ferroviario to secure the win, and their second came twenty five minutes later. But before that goal came the fallout of an extraordinarily poor tackle by Christiano. The striker, on loan from Americano, skidded across the wet floor with his studs raised, and suffered a straight red for the foul. Tom Rowlands, the Druids striker was less than impressed and squared up to Christiano, but it was his push on the dismissed striker that earned his second yellow and his dismissal too.

The second goal followed shortly after, but in the rain it was an extremely scrappy one. A deep clearance by Ailton in goal saw his kick hurtle towards McGuigan, but he made the wrong decision to come out for it. The ball stuck in the mud, and Dino got there first, bending the ball round the stranded again keeper to double the lead. The third goal was courtesy of Cearense, the midfielder rising highest for a corner to head home the third and final goal.

The game itself was a real let down in terms of how it went, especially with the tackles that began occurring on the sodden Welsh pitch. There were surprisingly no bookings, something that didn’t reflect the end of the game as fourteen fouls were committed in the final nine minutes alone.

Cefn Druids never looked comfortable in the match, whether it be in defence, goal, midfield or up front. The dismissal of Rowlands was a major blow to any feint chances the Druids harboured of getting back into the game, and that was evident in how they failed to hit the target at all in the second half. The fact that Jeff Jarvis’s side dominated 63% of possession is clearly the reason why they romped to a simple victory in the abysmal Welsh weather.

Elements Cefn Druids boss Maz Armley;

I almost considered resigning as soon as that second goal went in. I do feel that the game went their way as soon as we lost Rowlands, but they were down to ten men too, so it isn’t really an excuse. I’m bitterly disappointed as we held our own well before they scored. Sadly, it wasn’t to be, and now I must decide on my future and whether to start elsewhere once more.

Ferroviario boss Jeff Jarvis;

The weather was abysmal, but we showed excellent spirit today in securing the win. I’m really shocked with Christiano’s tackle, but can’t help feel that the wet pitch was partly responsible. We are in a tough group, and will have to show we can hold our own when the time comes. We really need to use this as a building block.

Elements Cefn Druids 0 (Rowlands s/off 33)

Ferroviario 3 (Sousa 15, Dino 39, Cearense 49, Christiano s/off 33)

Group N Results;

East Stirlingshire 0 – 3 St Mirren

(Ramage 18, Higdon 50, Love 68)

Wiltz 0 – 0 Rangers

Group O Results;

Avenir Beggen 2 – 2 Etzella Ettelbruck

(Nimsgern 24, Ferreira 65; Fevry 44, 56)

Port Vale 1 – 5 Sheffield United

(Dodds 45; Cresswell 9, 48, Henderson 18, 21, France 58)

Group P Results;

Elements Cefn Druids 0 – 3 Ferroviario

(Rowlands s/off 33; Sousa 15, Dino 39, Cearense 49, Christiano s/off 33)

Tottenham Hotspur 1 – 0 Charlton Athletic

(Lennon 58)

Elements Cefn Druids boss Maz Armley;

I almost considered resigning as soon as that second goal went in. I do feel that the game went their way as soon as we lost Rowlands, but they were down to ten men too, so it isn’t really an excuse. I’m bitterly disappointed as we held our own well before they scored. Sadly, it wasn’t to be, and now I must decide on my future and whether to start elsewhere once more."

You're just brutal, Gav, just brutal :D

What can I say, stoehrst :D

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe Premier League – Gameweek 1 – 1st August 2078

And here it is. It’s the start of the biggest football season to ever grace our planet. The FMS-Luxe Premier League kicks off, and we sent Jacek Vlchik to see Manchester United play Rangers. After both sides made poor drawing starts to the season, both will be going all out to get the win.

Wilson Furious as Boyd sees Red

It took a late equaliser from ten man Rangers to steal a point at Old Trafford and infuriate Mark Wilson.

Manchester United felt unlucky to have only taken a point from their opening fixture of the FMS-Luxe Premier League season, and should have had all three. They took the lead after just twenty one minutes, Wayne Rooney smashing a superb shot from twenty yards out past Gers keeper Allan McGregor. Rangers equalised in the second half through Kris Boyd but were only in it for two minutes as Dimitar Berbatov sliced a shot in to regain the lead. Despite Boyd being sent off, Steven Davis grabbed the equaliser with fifteen minutes to go, allowing Rangers to hold on for a point.

It was to be a game of two halves, and it started brightly for Manchester United when Nani flashed a shot wide and Berbatov sent a header just over McGregor’s goal. Despite Rangers looking like they nearly got back in the game, United took the lead through Rooney. His shot was sweet and left McGregor with no hope of stopping it, the striker reeling away happy at having scored his first of the season. Nani had a chance to double the lead straight after the kickoff, but despite being played through the Portuguese winger failed to hit the target with a low drive that trickled out for a goal kick.

The most entertaining viewing was to be found after the break as both sides came out with the intention of riling up their opposition. Rangers were the much better side, boss Phil Sharp seemingly having kicked them up the backside. Kris Boyd missed a fine headed opportunity just ten minutes in, but would make up for that five minutes later. A terrific cross from left sider Jerome Rothen found the Scotsman unmarked in the centre, and he rose above Wes Brown to flick the ball past stand-in keeper Ben Foster. Mark Wilson was up in arms on the sidelines, but was forced to quieten himself down when just two minutes later Berbatov beat David Weir to the nearpost tobundle the ball past McGregor and restore the United lead.

Kris Boyd would grab the headlines though, and it wouldn’t be because of his goalscoring. An excellent ball from Valencia in the midfield found Rooney on the right, and he skipped past Boyd with ease. Boyd seemed annoyed at the ease with which it happened, and he chased down Rooney, bringing him down from behind with a scything challenge. Referee Alain Hamer saw no problem in sending the striker off, and his marching orders seemed to spell doom for Rangers. But they rallied together and just four minutes later found their equaliser again, Rothen again the architect to cut inside from the left and lay it off for Steven Davis to fire a low drive past Foster. United had their chances to steal the points, but couldn’t take them, and that left with the fans wondering if Wilson really is right for the job and under pressure already.

Manchester United boss Mark Wilson;

We deserved to win the game today, but our poor play ensured that we would have no chance of doing so. We’re the favourites to win the title this season, but after a performance like that, we need to shape up. We lost the lead twice, and that in itself grates on me badly. There isn’t really anything we can pin this on except ourselves, and after the draw with East Fife I thought we’d gotten around it.

Rangers boss Phil Sharp;

This was exactly the kind of philosophy I tried to instil in my side. We went a goal down, and the danger was always there to also let our heads go down with it. But we persevered and fought on, eventually winding up with us stealing a precious and bittersweet point. In all truth we never looked in danger of winning the game, and I’m very disappointed with Boyd’s actions, but in the end I’m happy with how our first game of the season went.

Manchester United 2 (Rooney 21, Berbatov 63)

Rangers 2 (Boyd 61, Davis 76, Boyd s/off 72)

FMS-Luxe Premier League Results;

AZ Alkmaar 0 – 0 Portsmouth

Celtic 3 – 0 Central Rosario

(McGeady 25, 44, Flood 77)

Jeunesse Esch 1 – 0 Tottenham Hotspur

(Sagramola 22)

Manchester United 2 – 2 Rangers

(Rooney 21, Berbatov 63; Boyd 61, Davis 76, Boyd s/off 72)

Newcastle United 1 – 1 Atletico Madrid

(Carroll 48; Rodriguez 85, Lopez s/off 69)

Stade de Reims 0 – 0 Reading

(Karacan s/off 68)

Wigan Athletic 2 – 2 Aston Villa

(Scotland 37, Rodallega 55; Carew 15, Agbonlahor 44)

Gameweek 1 Standings;

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="Green"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Celtic         |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
| 2nd   |       | Jeunesse Esch  |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 3     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 3rd   |       | Aston Villa    |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | Man Utd        |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 
| 5th   |       | Rangers        |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 
| 6th   |       | Wigan          |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 
| 7th   |       | At. Madrid     |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 
| 8th   |       | Newcastle      |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 
| 9th   |       | AZ             |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 
| 10th  |       | Portsmouth     |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 
| 11th  |       | Reading        |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 
| 12th  |       | Stade de Reims |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 
[color="Red"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 13th  |       | Tottenham      |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | -1    | 0     | 
| 14th  |       | Central        |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]

SCIAG - Most shocking result I think I've seen yet :D

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe League One – Gameweek 1 – 1st August 2078

After the less than mediocre start to the Premier League season, we head down to the League One next to get a report on the opening fixture between Bodo/Glimt and Bristol City. Both sides got off to a winning start in the Universal League Trophy, Airbus and Petange being the losing sides. John Critchley went to see these two in Bristol.

Willis Leads Bodo To Victory

An excellent defensive performance from man of the match Willis Forko led Bodo/Glimt to an impressive opening day win.

Both sides headed into this match with the hope that they could carry on their winning starts from the ULT, but it wasn’t to be as one side dominated right from the off. Bristol controlled the early pockets of play, McAllister sending an effort wide before Bodo really found some rhythm. A well worked piece of play led to Thiago Martins firing a shot off the post, only for Konradsen to poke it past a bewildered Basso. The second came courtesy of Stensland, who headed home with just a few minutes of the game to go.

Despite being looked upon as a simple stroll in the park for Bristol, they truly failed to get going at any point in the match, something that impacted upon their confidence. That in itself was plain to see as passes went astray, shots went wide and fouls went unheeded. It all went to pot when the excellent shot from Martins found the post, allowing Konradsen to tap in. The goal had a double lining for Bodo as Bristol keeper Adrian Basso had to be carted off after pulling up trying to save the goal. An examination after told the Bristol faithful what they feared most; he damaged his Achilles tendon and will be out for up to four months.

From there Bristol were knocked for six, and rightly so. Bodo passed the ball around them with ease, and on occasion forced a save from Dean Gerken. It was nothing too strenuous for the Bodo men, but the pressure meant that Bristol were unable to rally to the cause. And the second half would give them no extra cause for hope as just eight minutes in full back Jamie McAllister was given a straight red for bringing down Martins and being the last man in defence.

Bodo gained and gained in momentum and finally grabbed the second and decisive goal; though it really should have come earlier on. A long ball was played to the wing for Forko to run onto, the fullback curling in a beauty of a cross for Stensland to head past Gerken and seal the Norwegian sides first win of the league season. Bristol never looked in danger of forcing a goal, and will look on this as a really poor performance. The McAllister sending off proved a major talking point, with many claiming that he wasn’t the last man back, but replays have suggested that the referee’s initial decision was the right one.

Bristol City boss George Burgess;

We will look back on this game with a lot of questions to be asked. We can’t even point to the red card as the cause of our failure as we struggled to get into the game before that even happened. Bodo matched us man for man all over the pitch and it truly felt like we were playing against twelve men. We will need to improve a lot for our next game against East Fife, but I am sure we can make amends for what happened, or didn’t today.

Bodo/Glimt boss Stian Neset;

There was no reason for us not to come here today with the intention of taking all three points. At such an early point in the season, heading into the bigger games with the right philosophy allows the smaller teams to cause some chaos before the rhythm sets in, and that’s what we have done today. Bristol weren’t exactly poor, it’s just that we were miles better in every aspect of the game. George is a good manager though and will know how to turn it around.

Bristol City 0 (McAllister s/off 53)

Bodo/Glimt 2 (Konradsen 25, Stensland 89)

FMS-Luxe League One Results;

Bristol City 0 – 2 Bodo/Glimt

(McAllister s/off 53; Konradsen 25, Stensland 89)

Eintracht Braunschweig 0 – 2 Sheffield Wednesday

(Tudgay 2, 3)

Leeds United 1 – 1 Universitario

(Beckford 53; Bustamante 68, Rabanal s/off 74)

Leicester City 1 – 0 Ferencvaros

(Brown 26)

Luton Town 2 – 0 Greenock Morton

(Craddock 54, Basham 61)

Nottingham Forest 1 – 0 Carlisle United

(Blackstock 25; Murphy s/off 13, Collin s/off 83)

Pau FC 0 – 2 West Bromwich Albion

(Cox 44, Dorrans 81)

Sheffield United 1 – 2 Charlton Athletic

(Evans 24; Llera 49, Burton 59)

St Mirren 1 – 1 Differdange

(Robb 43; Joachim 70)

Gameweek 1 Standings;

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                   |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="DarkGreen"]| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Bodø/Glimt             |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | [/color]
[color="Blue"]| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Luton                  |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 3rd   |       | Sheff Wed              |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | West Brom              |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| 5th   |       | Charlton               |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/color]
| 6th   |       | Leicester              |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 3     | 
| 7th   |       | Nottm Forest           |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 3     | 
| 8th   |       | Differdange            |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 
| 9th   |       | Leeds                  |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 
| 10th  |       | St. Mirren             |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 
| 11th  |       | Universitario          |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 
| 12th  |       | Ferencváros            |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | -1    | 0     | 
| 13th  |       | Sheff Utd              |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 14th  |       | Carlisle               |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 1     | -1    | 0     | 
| 15th  |       | Eintracht Braunschweig |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
[color="Red"]| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Morton                 |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
| 17th  |       | Pau FC                 |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
| 18th  |       | Bristol City           |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]

Bristol City 0 (McAllister s/off 53)

Bodo/Glimt 2 (Konradsen 25, Stensland 89)

Wow, it's kind of freaky to see my Bodø/Glimt being written up by someone else. :D

Both Konradsen and Stensland are hot prospects in my game with Konradsen on the fringe of gaining a regular spot, whilst Stensland is too inconsistent at the moment and I have him in the reserves.

Great to see the 'Flash' top of the table, even if it just is after one round. Top work, Gav. :thup:

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe League Two – Gameweek 1 – 1st August 2078

A few League Two sides experienced interesting starts to their ULT campaigns, but the two we will hear from today experienced differing fortunes. East Stirling were thumped 3-0 by a young St Mirren side while Sengkang dispatched Mertzig by the same scoreline. The two sides square up on the opening day, both looking to get winning starts in their league season.

Noh Is Rahman in Scotland

Sengkang got their season off to the best of starts with a hard earned win over Scottish outfit East Stirlingshire at Ochilview Park.

Both sides served up a rather interesting game at Ochilview as the first half suffered from being an extreme bore-fest. Despite this, East Stirling came closest to opening the scoring, Stephen McGuire shooting just wide despite having ample time and space. Neither side really made the push in the first half, and clear cut chances were few and far between. The second half brought much more of an interesting match, Sengkang taking the lead after 65 minutes when Indra Sahdan grabbed his second goal of the season. Canadian Murphy Wiredu scored the second Sengkang goal of the match ten minutes later before East Stirling’s Simon Lynch scored a consolation with little of the game remaining.

The game itself wasn’t one for the neutrals who love skill, precision and talent. Both sides looked devoid of ideas, and with thirty minutes until the first shot on target, that was evidence of the problem. It proved to be the only shot of the half before what seemed like two very heavy teamtalks. Midas Touche spoke at half time saying, “That was an abysmal first half, and one that we can only apologise to you for.”

The second opened up like it needed to. Shots on goal became more present, Lynch testing Amos Boon’s gloves with a low stinging daisycutter, but the crowd was treated to the goal they all waited for after some great play. A ball down the right for full back Rahman allowed him to easily beat David King and get behind the defence. His cross was inch perfect to find the head of Sahdan, and the experienced Singaporean man headed home with power to put his side ahead and deservedly too. Rahman wasn’t done with just that as five minutes later he fired a shot that rattled off the crossbar before crossing for Sahdan again, only for him to head over.

The full back completed his game and secured his man of the match performance just ten minutes after the first goal, this time his run cutting in from the right earning a freekick on the edge of the box. Murphy Wiredu made the area his before stepping up and bending a superb freekick past Sorley to double the Singapore side’s lead. The game hadn’t finished though, and East Stirling seemed desperate to contribute to the match after the equally diabolical first half. A lucky through ball from Callum Brady found Simon Lynch unmarked, and the striker tore away from the defence with the ball. He was shadily offside, but no appeal from the Sengkang men suggests otherwise. Lynch made no mistake in slotting the ball past Boon, but with just six minutes on the clock, Stirling couldn’t muster up an equaliser and Sengkang held on for an important open day win.

Sengkang Punggol boss Midas Touche;

The first half was something that me and Michael [McCain] both agreed was abysmal. We are here to improve the footballing situation, and both our sides put on a show that was unfair for all present. The second picked up and thankfully my side strove for the win more than McCain’s. We played fairly well and will need to work on that to pursue our hope of a playoff spot this season. We need no more halves like that first one, though.

East Stirlingshire boss Michael McCain;

We were awful today. Just like we were awful last week against St Mirren’s bairns. We lacked ideas across all aspects of our game and that cost us dearly. Sengkang weren’t great today, but we just failed to take advantage of anything they gave us. We had more possession than they did, but sadly it amounted to nothing that we could build on. Lynchie’s goal was well taken, I’ll grant him that, but he needs to work harder to make chances next time.

East Stirlingshire 1 (Lynch 86)

Sengkang Punggol 2 (Sahdan 65, Wiredu 75)

FMS-Luxe League Two Results;

Avenir Beggen 3 – 0 Alfreton Town

(Nzita 23, Ferreira 66, 67)

Blyth Spartans 0 – 0 Rushden & Diamonds

East Stirlingshire 1 – 2 Sengkang Punggol

(Lynch 86; Sahdan 65, Wiredu 75)

Elgoibar 1 – 2 Kettering Town

(Munitis pen57; Boucad 7, Fowler 17)

Etzella Ettelbruck 0 – 2 Pro Vercelli

(Chiaretti 37, 63)

Macclesfield Town 2 – 0 Grorud

(Wright 14, Nielsen OG 33)

Newport County 0 – 2 Ferroviario

(Ivan 38, Felipe 75)

Port Vale 4 – 1 East Fife

(Dodds 4, 14, 20, Richards 60; McManus 65)

Swift Hesperange 0 – 3 Barnet

(Furlong 12, Jarret 76, Bolasie 80, Remacles/off 60)

Gameweek 1 Standings;

| Pos   | Inf   | Team               |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="Green"]| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Avenir Beggen      |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
[color="green"]| 2nd   |       | Port Vale          |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 3     | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
[color="Blue"]| 3rd   |       | Barnet             |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | Ferroviário (CE)   |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 5th   |       | Macclesfield       |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| 6th   |       | Pro Vercelli       |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | +2    | 3     | 
| 7th   |       | Kettering          |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| 8th   |       | Sengkang           |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| 9th   |       | Blyth              |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 
| 10th  |       | Rushden            |       | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 
| 11th  |       | East Stirlingshire |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 12th  |       | Elgoibar           |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 13th  |       | Etzella Ettelbruck |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
| 14th  |       | Grorud             |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
| 15th  |       | Newport Co         |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 2     | -2    | 0     | 
[color="red"]| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Alfreton           |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| 17th  |       | East Fife          |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 4     | -3    | 0     | 
| 18th  |       | Swift Hesperange   |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 

Ben, I can only apologise for the awful pun :D

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe League Three – Gameweek 1 – 1st August 2078

With the Third Division made up of mainly Luxembourg clubs, there are a few of the FMS sides inhabiting the table. They were all in action today, and we sent Paul Mack to see Kaerjeng as they hosted Sheffield side Stocksbridge Park Steels.

Lukic A Fokin Delight

Stocksbridge suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of Kaerjeng to give them a dose of reality heading into the new season.

No-one really knew what to expect from this game, Stocksbridge being a rather small side. But Kaerjeng wanted to make their promotion bid get off to a splendid start, and they didn’t disappoint. Five goals for Kaerjeng established the victory, with four of them coming in the first half. Stocksbridge never looked comfortable as Lukic stabbed home two goals in the opening ten minutes before he and Polidori added another two after just twenty five minutes. Lukic grabbed his fourth and Kaerjeng’s fifth ten minutes into the second half completing a rout that no-one expected.

Stocksbridge started the game well, Richard Tracey forcing a save from Claude Alverdi after just two minutes. They failed to set the standard early enough though, and Kaerjeng caught them on the counter after only four minutes. Polidori broke away and pulled out to the right, the striker bobbling a cross along the goal line and finding Lukic at the backpost. The Luxembourg international made no mistake in poking the ball home to send his side in front. Stocksbridge manager Martin Salkeld was up in arms on the sidelines at his team’s poor defending. But it made no difference as they gifted a second to Lukic five minutes later, Lukic smashing a terrific low shot past Ben Scott to double the lead.

A small gap in the play allowed Stocksbridge the chance to settle, but they failed to do so as Kaerjeng ran them ragged. Polidori and Lukic enjoyed all of the possession before Polidori tucked home a special strike from twenty yards to make it 3-0. Kaerjeng looked home and dry at this point, but ensured it with another just six minutes later. A deep ball from Lars Heller found Lukic unmarked, and the striker took the ball into his stride. He broke away and rounded Scott before tucking the ball into an empty goal. Half time was a welcoming sight for Salkeld who stormed away down the tunnel ahead of his players.

Kevin Dawson didn’t come back out for Stocksbridge, an injury preventing him from doing so. Richard Stirrup came on for him, and was immediately in trouble. A long ball again from Hellers found Polidori, but the striker snapped at his chance and dragged a left footed shot wide. Stocksbridge’s woes were complete after fifty eight minutes, Lukic beating Stirrup to the ball before lobbing Scott, who had poorly made the decision to come off the line. Stocksbridge looked dejected, and had every right to. Kaerjeng should have a six and seventh, but Lukic hit the post and Gil Martins da Silva hit a shot into the side netting despite having some ample space to have done better.

Not much occurred late in the game, something Stocksbridge were more than happy with. They did have a chance for a consolation, Andy Ring having his first chance of the game but sending his header wide. Martin Salkeld cut a forlorn figure in the dugout, and refused to shake hands with his opposite as the game ended. Not like he would care; three points and five goals in the bag is more than enough to get over it with.

UN Kaerjeng boss Sergey Fokin;

We were destructive. I wasn’t certain heading into the game how it would turn out, as all sides in this league have ample talent to do well. We do have aspirations of promotion, though, and that was a good incentive for us to start well. Zarko [Lukic] was dynamite today, and it’s easy to see why he played at international level. We thumped Stocksbridge off the park and never looked in danger of ceding anything to them. I’m disappointed Martin didn’t shake my hand, but I won’t lose sleep over it.

Stocksbridge Park Steels boss Martin Salkeld;

That was the quite frankly the worst thing I have ever seen. We were so awful today that I really did feel like walking out of the stadium. We never really threatened the Kaerjeng goaland we deserved the thumping we received. We will need to work on a lot of things before our next game. I also refuse to explain why I wouldn’t shake Sergey’s hand.

UN Kaerjeng 5 (Lukic 4, 9, 26, 58, Polidori 20)

Stocksbridge Park Steels 0

FMS-Luxe League Three Results;

Alliance 01 1 – 2 US Rumelange

(Morocutti 37, Biver s/off 34; Ribeiro 9, Dillman 68, Bastos s/off 67)

UN Kaerjeng 5 – 0 Stocksbridge Park Steels

(Lukic 4, 9, 26, 58, Polidori 20)

Mertzig 3 – 0 Fola Esch

(Tsapanos 11, 52, Bernard 18)

Petange 1 – 2 Airbus UK Broughton

(Luisi 34; Lloyd-Williams 11, Robson 72)

Sporting Steinfort 2 – 1 Chimney Corner

(Fernandes 28, 57; McIntyre 41)

Stalybridge 1 – 2 Rodange

(Berrih 14; Karic 3, Souidi 87)

Wiltz 3 – 0 CS Hobscheid

(Belabed pen33, Dos Sanots pen36, Schmit 75)

Wormeldange 0 – 3 Elements Cefn Druids

(Hansen s/off 64; Feeney 15, 16, 49)

Gameweek 1 Standings;

| Pos   | Inf   | Team               |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="Green"]| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Käerjéng           |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 0     | +5    | 3     | 
| 2nd   |       | Cefn Druids        |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
[color="Blue"]| 3rd   |       | Mertzig            |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| 4th   |       | Wiltz              |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 0     | +3    | 3     | 
| 5th   |       | Airbus             |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| 6th   |       | Rodange            |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| 7th   |       | Sporting Steinfort |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| 8th   |       | US Rumelange       |       | 1     | 1     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 3     | 
| 9th   |       | Chimney Corner     |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 10th  |       | Pétange            |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 11th  |       | Stalybridge        |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 12th  |       | Alliance 01        |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 0     | 
| 13th  |       | CS Hobscheid       |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| 14th  |       | Fola Esch          |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| 15th  |       | Wormeldange        |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| 16th  |       | Stocksbridge       |       | 1     | 0     | 0     | 1     | 0     | 5     | -5    | 0     | 

Gennaro sighed to himself. The past month and a half had been truly hectic, yet there was still so much going on behind the scenes. Taking of the bubbled planets was one of those things, but even that felt like one hell of a chore. The Leader had been keeping the business side of things ticking over in his smooth manner and to some great degree of success. The opening week of the FMS-Luxe Premier League saw three quarters of the planet tune in to see Phil Sharp and Mark Wilson lock horns, with a fairly decent game on the occasion too. Egil had been rather quiet after the kidnappings had finished, but Gennaro had to keep everything running along with Florian. The Leader was more than happy revelling in his cash, and he had every right to do so. The TV rights that he gained were extraordinary. Nearly every country on the planet paid him around the £20,000,000 mark. He was now richer than some actual countries.

Riots had actually stopped in some places. Rome and Eindhoven went quiet, the people seemingly happy that some form of decent football had returned to their planet. They don’t know the ins and outs of it all, but why should they? They are just civilians after all. The IFF had been trying to get into the bubble planets so they can work out where The Leader and his men took everyone. Transmissions out of Gerjan were stopped to avoid blundering mistakes that some IFF analyst could come across. Thankfully, nothing of any note has popped up yet that could jeopardise it all. But now, round two of the ULT.

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe Universal League Trophy Part 1/4 – Match 2/6 – 5th August 2078

With the league season underway now, we return to the ULT. After last week’s surprising results, this set of fixtures has the premise for equal amounts of shockers. Let’s see how our first game turns out; Miguel Santorno went to see West Brom take on Davide Vert’s Elgoibar.

There was one fixture played in the middle of the game weeks that wasn’t on the original schedule;

Wednesday 29th July; Group G

Luton Town 0 – 1 Differdange

(Kettenmeyer 60)

WBA A-Vert Disaster

WBA almost suffered at the hands of a resolute Elgoibar side, but came away with all three points in an entertaining match.

West Brom were to take no gambles as they welcomed Elgoibar to The Hawthorns, putting out a full strength squad. And the decision showed when WBA took the lead just forty five seconds in, Chris Wood notching his first before grabbing his second four minutes later. The goals were expected to come in abundance, and it certainly seemed that way when Graeme Dorrans let a twenty yard effort fly into the net. Elgoibar looked deflated and held on til half time to recharge. It did the trick as they dominated the whole half, forcing West Brom back into their own half but failed to dominate possession. They eventually grabbed a foothold, Shelton Martis fouling Kepa in the area. Kepa took the penalty himself before he set up Iosu Guinea to give a nervy finish for the home side.

WBA started extremely strongly as Wood was played through by a delicious quick long ball by Mulumbu, and he defied his age with a finish that was very mature and experienced in style. He then scored a very similar goal four minutes after his first, this time the ball coming from Dorrans who had dropped deep. From there it was another simple, yet accomplished, finish from the young man for his second of the game and season. Dorrans completed an excellent well played first half for himself and his side, when he took the ball from Jerome Thomas on the left before pulling inside and curling a beautiful shot past Arrillaga.

In all truth Elgoibar were on the backfoot for the whole game, and the first half was a sure fire sign of their lesser status of the two teams. Something changed at half time, and for the better. Elgoibar, lacking possession, played some extremely good football when they did have the ball. Two chances fell to Kepa and Munitis, both strikers sending their shots into the hands of Scott Carson. They were wasted efforts, but none more so than Jerome Thomas who missed a free header, an open goal before capping it off with a yellow card for a poor tackle on Munitis. This was followed by a booking to Abdoulaye Meite, the defender bringing down Kepa in the box, gifting him a penalty in the process. He smashed it past Carson to give hope to his lowly side.

Kepa wasn’t done, his next effort crashing off the crossbar. Davide Vert definitely had the gift of making an imperative half time team talk that worked as Kepa played a lovely pass to Munitis who shocked The Hawthorns faithful with a peach of a shot that bent its way past their keeper. With fifteen minutes or so left on the clock, one would have had Elgoibar down to cause a massive shock and grab an equaliser, but the pressure came from West Brom as they sought to put the game beyond doubt for the second time. Dorrans had a good shot saved by Arrillaga before Tarra scrambled a Meite header off the line. Elgoibar seemed devoid of ideas after scoring their second, and they were left ruing what might have been as the final whistle went.

West Bromwich Albion boss Jeff Andrews;

Our first half was excellent and we had every right to be proud of that, but less so for whatever seemed to occur later in the game. We didn’t give Davide’s [Vert] side enough credit, and he drilled them well to come out like they did in the second half. Chris Wood was sublime today and continues to show us why we took faith in bringing him to The Hawthorns. The second half was a worry though, and it’s something we will need to look at. Elgoibar might not have had much possession, but they made us pay for it when they did and that’s worrying.

Elgoibar boss Davide Vert;

We headed into this game with the feeling that West Brom were going to tear us open, and the first half proved me right. We were disappointing for the opening half hour which aggravated me and Mrs Doyle. During half time I just gave them what needed; a thorough well deserved kick in the arse. We still got dominated by Jeff’s side, but we made more effort to take the rare chances we did get. I hope we can build on this for the league.

West Bromwich Albion 3 (Wood 1, 5, Dorrans 31)

Elgoibar 2 (Kepa pen72, Munitis 77)

Group A Results;

Grorud 0 - 2 Alliance 01

(Reuter 71, Szymanski 89)

Pau FC 4 - 0 Central Rosario

(Aristouy 7, 45, Moreno 10, Di Lauro 41; Zarate s/off 37)

Group B Results;

Kettering Town 0 - 1 Jeunesse Esch

(Conter pen29)

Leeds United 3 - 0 Blyth Spartans

(Prutton 13, Elliot 46, Kandol 57)

Group C Results;

Carlisle United 2 - 1 CS Hobscheid

(Anyinsah 75, Blake 76, Bridge-Wilkinson s/off 89; Deville 64)

West Bromwich Albion 3 - 2 Elgoibar

(Wood 1, 5, Dorrans 31; Kepa pen72, Munitis 77)

Group D Results;

Pro Vercelli 1 - 1 Wigan Athletic

(Chiaretti 58; McCarthy 33)

US Rumelange 0 - 4 Nottingham Forest

(Darnet 27, Tyson 31, Thornhill 57, Perch 78)

Thanks for getting this to 1000 views.

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe Universal League Trophy Part 2/4 – Match 2/6 – 5th August 2078

The two sides picked for this report both had differing fortunes on the opening day of the season. Portsmouth were held by AZ Alkmaar in Holland while Bodo stole a splendid win over Bristol City, the side most predicted to be their main rivals at the top. Jean Forste went to see these two battle for what would be the top spot.

Angel of the South

A second half equaliser stole a point for Bodo at Fratton Park in a match that saw Portsmouth dominate but fail to capitalise.

Portsmouth’s manager Daniel Knight seemingly put his common sense cap on this week as he put out a strong first eleven as opposed to the one he fielded against Stalybridge on the opening week. After Bodo’s excellent win over Bristol City, Stian Neset kept with the same eleven in a move to promote consistency.

Portsmouth started the stronger of the two, but that was to be expected on their home patch. Emmanuel struck the post with a flash header just four minutes in. The cross came from Angel Mirchev who in the first half made excellent runs into the Bodo half. Left back and man of the match last week, Willis Forko, had an abysmal half trying to watch him, the Bulgarians pace causing more trouble than needed. Another chance fell to the young Nigerian Emmanuel five minutes later, but the cross from D’Ambrosio was over hit and his poked effort saw the ball bobble wide.

It would be the 18 year old who scored though, and it was a fine goal at that. Some excellent play by Mirchev on the right saw the full back pull inside before sending the ball to Dupuis. His first time pass found Emmanuel sweetly, and the striker took just one touch before lashing a powerful shot past Pavel Londak. It was his first goal of the season and not a bad one at that. Daniel Knight rates him highly, so we can be sure to expect more from him during the course of the season. The first half didn’t offer much more than that, Bodo not registering even a shot off target let alone on it. Willis Forko made a decent run into the box, but his pass to Martins was over hit and the Brazilian missed his chance to hit it goalwards.

The second half started with a real bang as Bodo came out in real fighting spirit. A freekick was given away on the edge of the box, Pete Primus tugging down on Konradsen’s shirt. Experienced player Jan Derek Sorensen took the freekick, but the 37 year old was holding his head in his hands as it thundered off the bar and was cleared away. There would then be a poor even in the game that saw Irving Jensen and midfielder Stian Theting collided for the ball. Both players picked up injuries and needed replacing. Theting was given a yellow before he departed on his stretcher. Bodo didn’t let it dampen their spirits, and as such, clawed their way back into the game.

A loose ball from Rubach allowed Konradsen to break down the left. The young winger pulled inside before picking out Mounir Hamoud on the right. The full back powered his way into the box to meet the cross of Konradsen with an explosively powerful header that keeper Bryn Wright had no hope of stopping. Bodo deserved to be level, but their philosophy after the goal was a one typical of going for the draw. Bodo strangled the game of all its life as they played a defensive game that prevented Portsmouth from getting into the box and mounting any attacks from their wingers, who had been the most important players of Knight’s side.

It wasn’t to be though as the last half hour drowned out like a game had never been played. You can’t admire Neset’s idea of strangling the game, but you can admire the way it was implemented. Portsmouth are by far a better side, and for Bodo to steal a draw; priceless.

Bodo/Glimt boss Stian Neset;

I won’t deny that my tactics prevented Portsmouth, and even my own side, from getting anywhere into an attacking stride. Knight may be less than impressed, but I have to play the game to get the results I need. As soon as we got our equaliser, I knew how Knight would react and needed to prevent him from implementing his side to hit us hard. We did it perfectly, and the fact we have a draw from Fratton Park puts us in the better position now to steal the top spot. We just need to beat them at Aspmyra.

Portsmouth boss Daniel Knight;

I am extremely disappointed in how Stian [Neset] approached the second half. After his side scored their equaliser, he forced the game into a poor, defensive spell. His own side didn’t even make forays forward, but after hearing his interview, I understand now what he was trying to do. In terms of the game we played fairly well, but the fact that we couldn’t break down a weaker Bodo side was disappointing to see. Angel [Mirchev] played a terrific game and firmly deserved to be man of the match.

Portsmouth 1 (Emmanuel 17)

Bodo/Glimt 1 (Hamoud 61)

Group E Results;

Macclesfield Town 1 - 2 Eintracht Braunschweig

(Wright 47; Thomsen 4, Hauk 39)

Newcastle United 3 - 0 Swift Hesperange

(Danquah 35, Donaldson pen64, Nolan 75)

Group F Results;

Portsmouth 1 - 1 Bodo/Glimt

(Emmanuel 17; Hamoud 61)

Stalybridge Celtic 0 - 4 Airbus UK Broughton

(Ennis s/off 22; Williams 9, Wright 11, 23, Robson 71)

Group G Results;

Atletico Madrid 1 - 0 Differdange

(Adams 39)

Wormeldange 0 - 2 Luton Town

(Newton 26, Basham 42)

Group H Results;

Ferencvaros 4 - 0 Kaerjeng

(Abdi 12, 55, 58, Kovacs 16; Martins da Silva s/off 29)

Really thank you lots Mark.

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe Universal League Trophy Part 3/4 – Match 2/6 – 5th August 2078

As we look at the third part of our ULT week, we sent Jacek Vlchik to watch Rob Ridgway’s Reading host Joe Lolley’s Aston Villa. Both teams made less than impressive starts to the season, both picking up draws against lesser opposition.

Ridgway Still In The Hunt For Success

Noel Hunt helped Reading steal a vital point against Aston Villa, but they looked strong and were unlucky to escape with the solitary point they earned.

After the lacklustre draw against Reims on the opening league game, Reading put out a stronger side than that which faced the French outfit. Villa also put a stronger side out, Lolley taking the gamble and playing Sidwell against his former employers.

In a less than remarkable game, Reading started the stronger of the two sides and made the home advantage count early on. The crowd got behind Ridgway and his Reading team from the offset, and Rasiak thrived under the atmosphere. He went close after just seven minutes, a terrific shot from just outside the area forced Friedel to palm his effort wide. The American got straight onto the case of his defence, Cuellar and Luke Young both doing fairly inadequate jobs at the back. An error between the pair then allowed Jay Tabb the chance to fire a shot goalwards but Sidwell charged the effort down before it could cause any damage. Craig Gardner limped off after just ten minutes, the midfielder hurting his calf. He was replaced with Chris Herd.

The first goal would come against the run of play though, and it aggravated the home crowd immensely. Despite looking assured to score first, Reading were hit on the counter by Harewood and Delfouneso. Delfouneso broke down the right in a move that dragged Alex Pearce and Ryan Bertrand out wide. Harewood steamrollered his way into the centre and met Delfouneso’s cross under the challenge of McAnuff. Harewood was stronger though and shrugged off his barge to wrap his foot around the ball and bundle it past Federici. It was an undeserved goal for Villa, but they took the chance they were given.

Ridgway was livid on the touchline; not so much with his side, but how the game was turning out. Reading came back strong against their illustrious counterparts, and almost levelled the game six minutes before half time. A terrific crossfield ball by McAnuff found Rasiak who headed across the box for Matejovsky. The Czech Republic international met the ball head on, but his header was well saved by Freidel in goal. Half time arrived with the better side behind, and it was extremely harsh on Reading.

As the second half started, Reading continued right where they left off. Neither manager made any changes, something that allowed Reading to continue with how they were already playing. Ridgway’s side were playing well but suffered a setback they didn’t need when Ryan Bertrand was stretchered off five minutes into the half. His replacement, Jimmy Kebe, made an almost instant impact. His run down the right reaped dividends for Rasiak to wrangle some space in the box, but his effort from the cross was awful and Friedel simply had to pluck it from the air.

It would be Kebe and Rasiak though who combined to set up the Reading equaliser, a goal that even Mark Wilson would have been proud of. A superb ball from Rasiak was played between the bodies of Cuellar and Young, neither defender picking it up as it was played. Kebe raced onto it and hit a first time cross into the path of Noel Hunt who stretched to poke it past Friedel. It was harsh on the Villa keeper, who had been the only decent Villa player in the whole game.

Reading seemed to take strength from the goal and they bashed on Villa’s door. A terrific chance fell to Brian Howard, but the midfielder fluffed his shot and had to watch as it sailed into the crowd. Villa eventually begin sitting deeper and deeper in their own half, but a rare shot from Delph went well wide of Federici’s goal. Reading should have gone ahead when Rasiak hit a low cross into the box for Howard, but once again the Reading man could only watch as his scuffed shot clattered off the post. As the clock ticked, Reading increased and increased the pressure they were exerting on Friedel, Kebe forcing a low palm save from the big man in goal.

It would be the 93rd minute of the game that summed up the feeling of the whole game. Delfouneso raced away with the ball after a poor Howard corner, and was two against two with Nicky Shorey by his side. Delfouneso reached the box and Federici made the decision to come out before changing his mind. Delfouneso took advantage and passed the ball to Shorey who had the simple task of slotting it into an empty goal. Shorey couldn’t do it though, and his simple shot turned into a nightmare when it came back off the foot of the post. The left back was as stunned as everyone else at how he had missed.

Reading deserved to win, but it’s unlikely that they will grumble at a point.

Aston Villa boss Joe Lolley;

I’m really disappointed. We didn’t look like we wanted to win today and that riled me non-stop. We wasted valuable possession and chances, and the Shorey miss capped off a game that we just weren’t going to win. I was extremely surprised we even managed to take the lead. It isn’t so much the scoreline I’m disappointed with, but the whole way my team performed.

Reading boss Rob Ridgway;

We came into this game looking for a point, and while we should have had all three, I’m not really going to complain. We had our chances to take the game, but Friedel was instrumental in goal for them and he rightly earned his man of the match award. I’m happy with how my boys approached today’s game. We dominated from the off and while we could have won, the miss at the end made certain we were happy, and lucky, to take a point.

Reading 1 (Hunt 59)

Aston Villa 1 (Harewood 26)

Group I Results;

Bristol City 2 - 1 East Fife

(Maynard pen20, Haynes 30; Staunton 13)

Manchester United 6 - 0 Petange

(Brandy 3, 8, 15, 47, Giggs 25, Anderson 70)

Group J Results;

Sheffield Wednesday 2 - 0 Alfreton Town

(Hall 11, Boden 20)

Stade de Reims 5 - 0 Stocksbridge Park Steels

(N’Zigou 12, Kodja 16, Yehoume pen47, 84, Ielsch 52)

Group K Results;

Mertzig 0 - 4 Leicester City

(Campbell 4, Waghorn 19, N’Guessan pen70, Chambers 71)

Sengkang Punggol 1 - 1 Universitario

(Sahdan 2, Salleh s/off 29; Saman 69)

Group L Results;

Reading 1 - 1 Aston Villa

(Hunt 59; Harewood 26)

Rodange 2 – 0 Newport County

(Karic 10, Bouchemla 28)

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe Universal League Trophy Part 4/4 – Match 2/6 – 5th August 2078

Our final game coverage of this game week comes from White Hart Lane as Leo Dodge’s Tottenham side welcomed Maz Armley’s Cefn Druids. Spurs had experienced an abysmal start to their season after the defeat to Jeunesse and were looking for redemption against the Druids, who won their game. Frank Talin went to see this one, and boy was it worth it.

Seven Strong For Crouch And Co

Tottenham had no trouble in seeing of the challenge of Cefn Druids as Crouch ran riot, setting a new record in the process.

Leo Dodge was already receiving criticism for his poor handling of the defeat to Jeunesse last week, and that dampened the spirits at White Hart Lane. But he recovered and put out a fairly strong side to meet Maz Armley’s Druids, who had won their opening game with ease.

It took just one minute for Tottenham to right all the wrong they couldn’t do last week and it was Crouch who got the whole thing moving. A long ball forward from Kyle Naughton found the head of Huddlestone who subsequently headed it down for Crouch. In typical Crouch style, the England man met the ball with a scissor kick that sliced it’s way past Druids keeper Gerard McGuigan. Armley was up in arms over his defence, but it mattered little. David Bentley doubled the scoreline just four minutes later, a long shot squirming its way under McGuigan in a mess of a save.

The Druids eventually settled into the game and for a small period pushed up against Cudicini’s goal, and went close to a goal back when Gary Penlington found an acre of space in front of King. He sent his shot over, but came much closer with a low drive that Cudicini was forced to parry wide. The attacking incentive was nice to see, but it soon settled back into a Tottenham style of play. They controlled the rhythm for the following minutes and scored their third of the half a half hour in. Huddlestone and Hutton combined well to play Crouch through, and the big man did enough to slot the ball home past McGuigan for the second time.

The Druids suffered a setback when Daniel Bogard was stretchered off with a hurt knee. As the game resumed, Spurs asserted their dominance once more. Four minutes after his exit, Spurs grabbed their fourth and Crouch bagged his hat-trick. A splendid cross from Bentley found him in the centre, and it was a simple matter of beating Aled Rowlands for the header. He had no trouble and header powered its way past McGuigan. The keeper looked less than impressed with how things were turning out, and he had every right. The Cefn Druid players trudged off hastily as half time arrived, Armley following close behind.

The second half was expected to be a push for more goals, and Leo Dodge made sure his side provided just that. Just seven minutes into the half and Crouch was on the scoresheet again, this time his left providing the goal. A cross from Danny Rose found him unmarked in the centre, and despite snapping at his chance, the ball trickled off his left leg and found its way in for number five. Rose turned architect again when he broke down the left and opened up space for Bentley to cross to Crouch. The striker headed home his fourth goal of the day and gave the Spurs fans something to cheer about at last.

Armley’s side never looked in danger of troubling the Spurs goal and the game was capped off just two minutes later when Rose flicked a delightful through ball for Bentley to run on to. The winger made no mistake as he smashed a better shot above and beyond the call of McGuigan who stood no chance or hope of saving. Spurs continued to be dominant and should have had an eight in stoppage time, but McGuigan got an ounce of self happiness with a terrific finger tip save. The gulf in class was evident by two things today; goals scored and the ability of a tall man. Take note sides in the Druids’ division; it might just be a way past them.

Crouch’s five goal haul set the record for the ULT, blitzing the previous record of two scored by Pierre Alva of Universitario.

Tottenham Hotspur boss Leo Dodge;

After the abysmal defeat to Jeunesse last week we needed to come out and show the fans that we haven’t lost our way. As soon as Crouchie knocked that first one, I had a feeling it would be a goalfest. Our passing was crisp, our finishing well taken and our crosses inch perfect. I can’t complain at anything about the match today and that makes me a happy man. We need to build on this now and ensure we can get our season off to a start in the league with our upcoming game.

Cefn Druids boss Maz Armley;

I’m lost for words. I didn’t expect such a heavy result and to be honest I think we deserved better. I know we had only thirty nine percent possession and three shots on goal, but our overall during those periods was good. Dodge’s side were lucky as most of their goal were lucky aswell. After the last few days I’ve had I’m not sure whether my mind is in the job.

Tottenham Hotspur 7 (Crouch 1, 31, 44, 52, 63, Bentley 5, 65)

Elements Cefn Druids 0

Group M Results;

AZ Alkmaar 4 - 0 Chimney Corner

(Koenders 49, Holland 53, 58, Moreno 83; Brown s/off 54)

Greenock Morton 2 - 2 Rushden & Diamonds

(Grady 17, 73; Tomlin 38, Farrell 80)

Group N Results;

Rangers 2 - 0 East Stirlingshire

(Campbell 13, Shinnie 44)

St Mirren 1 - 0 Wiltz

(Burns 50)

Group O Results;

Avenir Beggen 1 - 1 Port Vale

(Ferreira 41; Dodds 50)

Etzella Ettelbruck 2 - 4 Sheffield United

(Fevry 4, Defay 33; Montgomery 16, Ward 19, 40, Cresswell 85)

Group P Results;

Charlton Athletic 3 - 1 Ferroviario

(Dickson 1, 76, Youga 65; Sousa pen23)

Tottenham Hotspur 7 – 0 Elements Cefn Druids

(Crouch 1, 31, 44, 52, 63, Bentley 5, 65)

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe Premier League Gameweek 2 – 8th August 2078

After the dour start to the season, many of the sides in action this week will be looking for either that first or second win. One side looking for their first is Steve Stoehr’s Newcastle United, who only managed a 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid last time out. Jeunesse Esch on the other hand picked up a shock win over Tottenham, and as such, go in search of their second win of the season. Tim Lehnen went to see this one. Jeunesse could go top if they win and results elsewhere go their way...

Jeunesse Run To Tell The Tayl

St James Park witnessed a shock today as Jeunesse Esch hit Newcastle hard on their own patch to steal an unlikely victory.

Everyone believed the victory over Tottenham was a massive one off for the home Luxembourg side, but it seems that it was not. Newcastle picked up a midweek win over Swift Hesperange, but many of the first teamers returned to action for this one today.

Surprisingly it was Jeunesse who actually took the lead, and against the run of play. The opening patch had seen Nolan and Pancrate work excellently to set up Ameobi, but the striker failed to connect with his shot and had to watch it fly wide. Jeunesse however took their chance when it came, and by god they did. A loose ball from Barton was picked up in midfield by Dinis de Sousa who pumped it forward to Ghanaian Akwasi Oduro. The winger didn’t even take a touch before sending a delightful lobbed effort over the head of Steve Harper, who was just as shocked the winger had the nerve to do so.

This was a game that was centre around the passing of Newcastle, and by every right they dominated the game as it went on. They should have equalised five minutes later when Pancrate broke in from the right, but the winger’s shot was tame and Georges Schiltz in the Esch goal had no worries. It would be Newcastle who got the second goal of the game, and deservedly so. A poor tackle by Colette gave Newcastle a dangerous freekick with excellent sight of the goal, and Ryan Taylor had no qualms about bending it in and silencing the boos that were emanating from the Gallowgate end.

The level terms shockingly only lasted for a minute, Jeunesse kicking straight off down to Harper’s goal. A through ball from Oduro went straight through to Sagramola, who took a touch to beat Colocinni before leathering a shot past Harper. It was a splendid goal, and once again the Newcastle faithful were less than happy. They tried to get an immediate reprieve, but Barton sent his free header four minutes after. Jeunesse suffered a major double setback when Rene Peters and Dinis de Sousa were stretchered off within ten minutes of each other, something Newcastle should have taken advantage of. They didn’t though, and half time arrived to a chorus of disdain from the home fans.

The second half didn’t start so well, with stray passes for Jeunesse and everything going generally wrong. Newcastle tried to take advantage, but Ameobi and Ketelaer both sent shots wide. Newcastle dominated the half with everything they had, and threw it all at the Jeunesse goal to no avail. Barton had a header go wide while Danny Simpson made some excellent forays into the Jeunesse half. His crossing twice set up Pancrate for chances that he missed; something that annoyed him, no less everyone else.

Jeunesse weren’t without their own chances to finish the game, Sagramola seeing Simpson clear his saved shot off the line. The game however was all Newcastle, and they destroyed Jeunesse with their passing. It was a damn shame that they couldn’t shoot though and time after time they missed their chances. It came back to haunt them as Jeunesse missed a sitter in the final minute. Newcastle accepted their fate with a worrying amount of ease, something that will in turn worry their manager.

Jeunesse Esch boss Bob Dillon;

I can’t believe we escaped St James Park with a win. We were the lesser side throughout the whole match. Newcastle dominated us completely and that didn’t surprise us, but we sneaked in our goals and somehow got to half time in front. We lost some key players through injury, but we still persevered, and I can’t be any more proud of the lads. We deserved, to a degree, to win and that was refreshing for once. Newcastle had their chances and didn’t take them. If you don’t, you don’t win.

Newcastle United boss Steve Stoehr;

I am extremely disappointed. We ran the game for most of the periods of play, and to come away with nothing but a kick in the crotch is upsetting. But in fairness we didn’t take our chances and you can’t get away with that in football. Teams will make you pay for your impotency, and Jeunesse did just that. We were great defensively for the most part, and setting chances up we were almost godlike. We just couldn’t score, and that knocked us each time we missed a chance.

Newcastle United 1 (R.Taylor 16)

Jeunesse Esch 2 (Oduro 6, Sagramola 17)

FMS-Luxe Premier League Results;

AZ Alkmaar 1 – 1 Aston Villa

(Dembele 25; Agbonlahor pen17)

Celtic 2 – 2 Tottenham Hotspur

(Fortune 39, 81; Pavlyuchenko 50, Palacios 58, Lennon s/off 80)

Manchester United 2 – 1 Reading

(Donovan 1, Berbatov 21; Cisse 86)

Newcastle United 1 – 2 Jeunesse Esch

(R.Taylor 16; Oduro 6, Sagramola 17)

Portsmouth 0 – 0 Rangers

(McCulloch s/off 40)

Stade de Reims 1 – 0 Central Rosario

(Faure 89, Gamiette s/off 42)

Wigan Athletic 2 – 4 Atletico Madrid

(Eduardo 77, Diame pen82; Aguero 10, Forlan 14, 58, 72)

Gameweek 2 Standings;

| Pos   | Inf   | Team           |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="Green"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Jeunesse Esch  |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 6     | 
| 2nd   |       | Celtic         |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 4     | 
| 3rd   |       | At. Madrid     |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 3     | +2    | 4     | 
| 4th   |       | Man Utd        |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 4     | 
| 5th   |       | Stade de Reims |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 4     | 
| 6th   |       | Aston Villa    |       | 2     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 3     | 0     | 2     | 
| 7th   |       | Rangers        |       | 2     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 2     | 
| 8th   |       | AZ             |       | 2     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 
| 9th   |       | Portsmouth     |       | 2     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 
| 10th  |       | Newcastle      |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 1     | 
| 11th  |       | Tottenham      |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 1     | 
| 12th  |       | Reading        |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 1     | 
[color="Red"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 13th  |       | Wigan          |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 4     | 6     | -2    | 1     | 
| 14th  |       | Central        |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 4     | -4    | 0     | 

• 2 weeks later...

I know, Steve. Awful to read about. Mark, you're most likely certain to dominate haha.

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe League One Gameweek 2 – 8th August 2078

Both sides being reported on today failed to pick up a win on the opening day, St Mirren being held and Ferencvaros suffering defeat. Today the pair meets and will both be looking to secure their first win of the season here in Budapest. Phil Crawley went to see this one play out between Kardec and Powell.

Ferencvaros Beaten in Buddie-pest

St Mirren picked up their first three points of the campaign with a hard earned win over Ferencvaros, but they left it late to make their mark.

There was not expected to be any surprises today as St Mirren visited Albert Florian Stadion, and they were firmly expected to take a win. Michael Higdon made his first start, while Stephen McGinn also did the same. Ferencvaros were without Rafe Wolfe, Jason Morrison and Adnan Ahmed.

St Mirren started the game with an extreme amount of attacking style, but it would be the Hungarian side who tested Mark Howard’s hands first. A superb piece of counter play saw Joaquin bomb down the winger and cross for Mamic who spooned it into the St Mirren keepers’ hands. Despite their efficiency going forward, Ferencvaros had a substantially less amount of possession, something that would eventually haunt them. Mamic drew another save from Howard just four minutes into the game, a long range effort forcing the keeper into a powerful fingertip save.

Against the run of play though and St Mirren took the lead, and in style too. A well worked piece of passing between Hugh Murray and Steven Thomson saw the bill flicked through for Billy Mehmet. The former Dunfermline man hit a low drive first time and it skidded across the mud to beat Justin Haber at his near post. Powell was off her seat in joy as her side took the lead, her face a picture of happiness. They should have been two up just fourteen minutes later, a cross from McGinn finding the head of Romualdo but the Brazilian veteran headed over the bar.

Ferencvaros were still the dangerous of the two sides in the first half, but only in going forward. They consistently soaked up the pressure from St Mirren’s attackers, and it led to a fine chance to equalise. A goalkick from Haber found its way to Mamic who turned his man before laying the ball off for Ferenczi. The former Barnsley man hit a terrific first time shot that Howard just managed to keep out.

The cold, wet and windy weather helped both sides to grind out the first half without any real sniff of a second goal, but three minutes into the second half and Ferencvaros were level. A whipped cross from McGinn was hoofed away by Joaquin. His clearance somehow found Mamic who ran past Potter and Mair before slotting the ball around the onrushing Howard. Kardec was ecstatic on the sidelines, but his mindset towards the game didn’t change, and that would end up costing his side a lot.

St Mirren dominated the game as soon as the equaliser went in, and it would be only a matter of time before they regained their lead. It should have happened much earlier after Dorman missed a sitter from four yards and Jack Ross sent a header sprawling over the bar sixty two minutes into the game. The away travelling fans began to get anxious that their side would suffer another draw to their season, but a solution was found fifteen minutes from time.

A lucky break allowed Dorman to slide a delicious ball through the Ferencvaros backline to find Higdon. He broke away with speed and found himself one on one with Haber. The Maltese keeper came hurtling out but was left wanting as Higdon lifted the ball over him to score the second and decisive goal. Haber felt aggrieved that he made such an error and looked really disappointed with himself. Ferencvaros tried to muster another comeback, but they just couldn’t do it and were left pinging hopeless balls forward. As the final whistle went, the home fans booed their side off the field for what was already looking like an abysmal campaign for them.

Ferencvaros boss Radoslav Kardec;

I can only apologise to the fans for how we performed today. We were poor all across the field and it cost us the chance to take even a point from this game. St Mirren weren’t exactly composed themselves, and to have hit them again after we equalised was a decision I should have taken. I didn’t and my side were once again pinned back for the majority of the game. We lacked any of the possession which is something you can’t get away with these days.

St Mirren boss Tina Powell;

I am delighted we managed to secure our first win of the season today. We dominated all over the field and I am extremely pleased to see my strikers get on the scoresheet. We weren’t exactly perfect out there and we made mistakes, but we knew how to get the result after suffering the disappointment of their goal. We can build on this now and move forward in our promotion campaign.

Ferencvaros 1 (Mamic 48)

St Mirren 2 (Mehmet 6, Higdon 75)

FMS-Luxe League One Results;

Bodo/Glimt 3 – 1 Leicester City

(Stensland 7, Ludvigsen 48, Martins 64; Fryatt 3)

Carlisle United 0 – 0 Leeds United

Charlton Athletic 3 – 0 Eintracht Braunschweig

(McKenzie 27, Burton 35, Youga 41)

Differdange 2 – 3 Sheffield United

(Carreira Ferreira 13, Joachim 14, Albanese s/off 41; Evans 10, 46, Camara 65)

Ferencvaros 1 – 2 St Mirren

(Mamic 48; Mehmet 6, Higdon 75)

Greenock Morton 1 – 2 Pau FC

(Jenkins 39; Di Lauro 15, 33)

Sheffield Wednesday 2 – 1 Nottingham Forest

(Tudgay 18, Jeffers 20; Garner 40)

Universitario 3 - 1 Luton Town

(Cerda 36, Alva 70, Novoa 73; Newton 82)

West Bromwich Albion 1 - 2 Bristol City

(Moore 3, Brunt s/off 80; Clarkson 1, Saborio 60)

Gameweek 2 Standings;

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                   |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color="Green"]| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Bodø/Glimt             |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 6     | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
[color="Blue"]| 2nd   |       | Charlton               |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 6     | 
| 3rd   |       | Sheff Wed              |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Universitario          |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 4     | 
| 5th   |       | St. Mirren             |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 4     | 
| 6th   |       | West Brom              |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 3     | 
| 7th   |       | Luton                  |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 3     | 0     | 3     | 
| 8th   |       | Nottm Forest           |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 
| 9th   |       | Sheff Utd              |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 4     | 0     | 3     | 
| 10th  |       | Leicester              |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 3     | 
| 11th  |       | Pau FC                 |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 3     | 
| 12th  |       | Bristol City           |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 3     | 
| 13th  |       | Leeds                  |       | 2     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 
| 14th  |       | Differdange            |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 3     | 4     | -1    | 1     | 
| 15th  |       | Carlisle               |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | -1    | 1     | 
[color="Red"]| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Ferencváros            |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 3     | -2    | 0     | 
| 17th  |       | Morton                 |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 4     | -3    | 0     | 
| 18th  |       | Eintracht Braunschweig |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 5     | -5    | 0     | 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

LUXEMBOURG SPORT REVIEW – FMS-Luxe League Two Gameweek 2 – 8th August 2078

Barnet welcomed Jenny Addison’s Macclesfield to Underhill, but Mark Heath’s side knew they would have their work cut out against a bigger reputation side. Macclesfield are expected to do well this season, and with an opening day win against Grorud to their name, Barnet were the next side in the headlights. Freddie Jones went to see this, and wasn’t disappointed.

Barnet Beaten By Bencherif

Both sides went out for the win, but Barnet were hit on their home turf by two first half goals from Macclesfield.

Joe Devera made his first league start of the season, while four under-18 players were on Mark Heath’s Barnet bench. Macclesfield welcomed back Mark McVeigh, who had missed the cup match earlier in the month.

Barnet began the game with a very ferocious move on the Macclesfield goal, Paul Bolland on the end of a nasty collision with veteran Micah Hyde before eventually finding his feet. The result was a freekick for Barnet that Paul Furlong met with his experienced head, but no goal came of it as Macclesfield keeper Jonny Brain plucked it from the air. Barnet came on the attack again just four minutes later, Furlong playing youngster Jake Hyde in on goal. The former Swindon academy player misjudged the bounce of the ball, and it got away from his foot, leaving his effort to roll into Brain’s hands.

Macclesfield didn’t set up too badly, an odd shaped 4-3-3 the basis for the game, but they struggled to get forward with any real momentum. They were forced into making errors and into taking long shots, but it backfired the second time round when one actually went in. A loose ball was picked up by Ben Wright who laid it off for Bencherif who was steaming into the box. He hit the ball first time and it rocketed past everyone and into the roof of the net to put Macclesfield ahead. It was a stunning effort for a defender, but one he knows he could most likely never reproduce intentionally.

It would turn out to be just a seven minute lead though, Brain called into action with a spectacular save only to see Devera at the back post. The save landed at his feet, and the Barnet favourite made no mistake in tapping it past the keeper. It was such a simple goal to concede, and one that had Jenny Addison in uproar on the sidelines. Her side gave their lead away with too much ease, and they were rightly told what she thought of them. They should have been in front just two minutes from the kickoff, but Brain made another good save from a Furlong effort, this time making sure the ball went out rather than into the path of anyone else.

The half hadn’t seen the last of its goals though, Addison determined to make sure her side went in level. Emile Sinclair was moved from his right wing role to a striking one, and it paid dividends thirty seconds before half time. A long ball from Lee Bell found its way to Wright, who did well to bring it down and lay it into the path of Sinclair. A lovely touch and he was away from Devera and Yakubu, Sinclair deftly slotting the ball home to put Macclesfield back in the lead. The tactic change worked, and it was suitably effective.

Half time passed, and Macclesfield returned in their 4-3-3 shape, Barnet opting to use the same approach. Macclesfield had an early chance in the second half to tie the game off, Tremarco having a very good freekick saved by Jake Cole in the Barnet net. Barnet never looked like scoring, but they did give themselves the chances to do so. A loose ball was seized upon by Hyde who strode forward, but instead of passing he shot, annoying Furlong and wasting a good chance in the process.

Macclesfield continued to strangle the game, Addison knowing full well that Heath would throw everything he had at her side as the game wore on. She was right as young striker Elliot Charles came on for Micah Hyde, and a 4-2-4 formation was instilled. It nearly worked as Charles broke free from his marker, but the youngster looked shot shy and his pass to Furlong was weak and easily intercepted. Barnet continued to push, but for all they were worth in the first half, none of that transferred to the second.

Macclesfield Town boss Jenny Addison;

I’d like to think that we are one of the better sides in this league, but on the basis of today’s performance, I can’t be too sure. We looked unsettled out there, and if it wasn’t for Bencherif at the back and Jonny in goal, we most likely would have lost the match. Our passing was good and we did well to hold onto possession, but I can’t say much for our attacking outfit. Emile took his goal well but was largely invisible out there, something we will definitely need to change. Saying that, I am happy with another win and will continue to make us push up the table.

Barnet boss Mark Heath;

I’m not really sure what I can say. We pushed everything we had at Macclesfield and in the end they didn’t crumble under the pressure, something you have to commend them for. We had the better chances, the better focus and the home crowd on our side, but we still couldn’t make them pay. We seemed shot shy, and I’m hopeful that my young squad can improve on that. There is much time for us to improve and bolster, but for now we need to learn to take our chances. That is the foremost problem we had today.

Barnet 1 (Devera 32)

Macclesfield Town 2 (Bencherif 25, Sinclair 45)

FMS-Luxe League Two Results;

Alfreton Town 3 – 2 Etzella Ettelbruck

(Clayton 22, Bowler 24, Todd 32; Binsfeld 38, 82)

Barnet 1 – 2 Macclesfield Town

(Devera 32; Bencherif 25, Sinclair 45)

East Fife 1 – 1 Blyth Spartans

(McCunnie 88; Dale 12)

Ferroviario 1 – 1 Port Vale

(Tiago Sousa pen19; Dodds 37)

Grorud 0 – 1 Avenir Beggen

(Nzita 81)

Kettering Town 2 – 1 East Stirlingshire

(Thomas 47, Lang pen53; Stevenson 13)

Pro Vercelli 5 – 0 Newport County

(Anderson 28, 43, Dutheil 33, 34, Cristini 53)

Rushden & Diamonds 1 – 0 Elgoibar

(Wolleaston 60)

Sengkang Punggol 1 – 0 Swift Hesperange

(Sahdan 25)

Gameweek 2 Standings;

| 1st   |       | Pro Vercelli       |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 7     | 0     | +7    | 6     | 
| 2nd   |       | Avenir Beggen      |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 0     | +4    | 6     | 
[color="Blue"]| 3rd   |       | Macclesfield       |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Kettering          |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 6     | 
| 5th   |       | Sengkang           |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 6     | 
| 6th   |       | Port Vale          |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 4     | 
| 7th   |       | Ferroviário (CE)   |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 1     | +2    | 4     | 
| 8th   |       | Rushden            |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 0     | +1    | 4     | 
| 9th   |       | Barnet             |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 3     | 
| 10th  |       | Alfreton           |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 3     | 
| 11th  |       | Blyth              |       | 2     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 
| 12th  |       | East Fife          |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 1     | 
| 13th  |       | East Stirlingshire |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 4     | -2    | 0     | 
| 14th  |       | Elgoibar           |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 3     | -2    | 0     | 
| 15th  |       | Etzella Ettelbruck |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 0     | 
[color="Red"]| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 16th  |       | Grorud             |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 3     | -3    | 0     | 
| 17th  |       | Swift Hesperange   |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 4     | -4    | 0     | 
| 18th  |       | Newport Co         |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 7     | -7    | 0     | 

Sengkang going well, Ben!

LUXEMBOURG FOOTBALL WEEKLY – FMS-Luxe Gameweek 2 – August 8th 2078

Welcome to the new Luxembourg football weekly, a supplement brought to you to provide extra football information alongside helping with the world for Sport Review. We take the mantle this week on the second round of Third Division matches and sent our finest reporters to the matches to provide you with an excellent all-round review.

The Airfield - Airbus UK Broughton vs. Elements Cefn Druids

Both sides headed into this game with a win under their belts from the opening day, and Airbus certainly seemed determined to take the win as they created chance after chance before midfielder Ludovic Biancalani headed in the opener from a corner. Elements made no mistake in getting back into the game when seven minutes later when Luke Hall-Cousins fired a delightful shot in from twenty yards to silence the home crowd. They went in level at half time but just five minutes after the break Airbus regained the lead through Rhys Roberts, but once again the lead didn’t last too long as John Rush fired in the second equaliser of the match for his side. Both teams pushed for the final goal, but it didn’t come as they took a share of the points.

Airbus UK Broughton 2 (Biancalani 25, Roberts 50)

Elements Cefn Druids 2 (Hall-Cousins 32, Rush 55)

Stade Camille Polfer – Alliance 01 Letzebuerg vs. Stocksbridge Park Steels

With Stocksbridge having conceded thirteen goals in their opening games without a response of their own, Martin Salkeld’s side headed into this one with every intention of turning the tide. They fought well in the first half but were almost undone twice by a counter, Paul Thill wasting both chances to put the home side in front. Stocksbridge weren’t expected to get anything from the game but it turned into their favour when Alliance’s Nicholas Graham was sent off for his second yellow ten minutes into the second half. Stocksbridge huffed and puffed against the ten men and finally got their opener when Andy Ring was brought down in the area by Arnaud Szymanski. Ring wanted the penalty and dispatched it with ease to put them ahead. The game was topsy turvy until Carl Fothergill lashed an effort in from just outside the box, and Stocksbridge laid claim to their first victory, and goals, of the season.

Alliance 01 Letzebuerg 0 (Graham s/off 56)

Stocksbridge Park Steels 2 (Ring pen65, Fothergill 80)

Hautcharage – UN Kaerjeng ’97 vs. CS Fola Esch-Alzette

Kaerjeng were coming off the back of a four-nil thumping by Ferencvaros in the Universal League Trophy, but with a decent victory over Stocksbridge in their first league game, set up well against Fola. They took an early lead when Ben Polidori broke in the box and slid the ball under Dan Langers to notch his second of the season. Fola bounced back from the goal well enough to grab an equaliser, veteran Mustapha Hadji bending in a superb freekick to level it before half time. There wasn’t a whole truck load of action in the second half, Kaerjeng being restricted in their passing game while Fola just looked devoid going forward. The breakthrough came when Polidori played Kevin Leite in for him to round the keeper and slot it home. Polidori completed the win when he headed in a Dan Tana cross with precision and his third of the season.

UN Kaerjeng ’97 3 (Polidori 28, 85, Leite 81)

CS Fola Esch-Alzette 1 (Hadji 39)

An de Burwiesen – Sporting Mertzig vs. Chimney Corner

Charlie Henry said before the game that a point from this game would be a good result after the home side dominated in their league game last week. For awhile it seemed very unlikely that Henry would get what he desired as Mertzig ran rampant over Chimney Corner, and got their deserved breakthrough when Walter Antunez was brought down in the Corner box. Veteran Greek Georges Tsapanos fired the penalty past David Rowan and the home crowd was happy. Mertzig continued to dominate the game well into half time and past it, Tsapanos and Codello wasting vital chances to put the game beyond doubt. As such, Henry drilled his side into forcing an error on the Mertzig backline and it paid off when Florim Alilaj was on the end of a through ball, the 42 year old defying the years with an exquisite finish from outside the area. Mertzig looked shell-shocked, and they seemed to die on their feet when Claude Bernard was stretchered off two minutes from time.

Sporting Mertzig 1 (Tsapanos pen26)

Chimney Corner 1 (Alilaj 82)

Stade Municipal – CS Petange vs. US Rumelange

Neither side was expected to go all out for this one, despite Rumelange winning their opening game of the season. Petange were beaten by Dick Powell’s Airbus, and looked shaky at the start of this match. Somehow though they snapped Rumelange on the break, Vincenzo Luisi slotting home from 5 yards when Castelani spilled a Codello shot. Rumelange seemed dazed by the goal and struggled to find a rhythm with which to get forward and it took the break at half time to recharge their batteries. They came out in gung-ho fashion, manager Pal Arne Johansen and assistant manager Graham Fenton both former strikers watched as their side ran riot on Petange. It finally came to fruition when Ludovic Neis headed home a wonderful corner to level the game. The tide changed once more as Petange broke with intensity on the Rumelange goal, and had it not been for goalkeeper Castelani’s heroics in goal and man of the match performance, they’d surely have been beaten.

CS Petange 1 (Luisi 16)

US Rumelange 1 (Neis 66)

Bower Fold – Stalybridge Celtic vs. CS Hobscheid

Stalybridge went into this game with every faith in taking the points and they certainly looked favourable to do so when Warren Peyton lashed in a freekick after just eleven minutes to put his side in front. The home side were yet to win and seemed determined to do so as they persistently knocked on the Hobscheid door. It would take until way into the second half to put the game beyond doubt, David Hankin breaking down the right win before pulling inside and curling an effort beyond Fernandes. Former Altrincham man Joe O’Neill headed home a third for the home side and made sure all three points were heading staying at Bower Fold. Hobscheid looked weak throughout and certainly won’t be too much of a force on the road.

Stalybridge Celtic 3 (Peyton 11, Hankin 69, O’Neill 80)

CS Hobscheid 0

Getzt – FC Wiltz 71 vs. Sporting Steinfort

Billed as a non-entity for this week, it pretty much turned out to be just that. The game was generally slow getting off the ground, and it took until Marc Diederich getting injured for Wiltz to actually realise they were in a football match. The tables turned at that point as Wiltz suffocated Steinfort with a lack of any possession, and took the lead just before half time when Carlo Hoffman pounced on a poor clearance by Gerard Conter. The second half was a complete bore fest though as Wiltz sat back and Steinfort pumped aimless long balls to no one at all, resulting in a constant back and forth that almost made the crowd present fall asleep. A late injury to Belabed woke them up, but they fell back into their slumber until the final whistle woke them up.

FC Wiltz 91 1 (Hoffman 43)

Sporting Steinfort 0

Im Gau – FC Koeppchen Wormeldange vs. FC Rodange 91

Rodange had the chance to go towards the top if they could pick up their second win of the season, but it was more a story of fouls and bookings. The game was scrappy to begin with and Jeff Deville was booked for a lunge on Pit Braun. Coutinho Arada then received a booking for an exact copy of Deville’s tackle on Deville himself. The first half was gone within a flash though as Bouchemla netted the first shot on target for either side. The second half began in the same fashion though with three more yellows being dished out. Daniel Santos received a straight red for almost breaking Arada’s leg, Buchemla taking advantage four minutes later to kill the game. It wasn’t over for its controversy as Paulo Nunes was given his marching orders for dragging down last man Saibene, but nothing came of the game after that. A real thriller!

FC Koeppchen Wormeldange 0 (Santos s/off 74)

FC Rodange 91 2 (Bouchemla 41, 79, Nunes s/off 85)

Gameweek 2 Standings;

| 1st   |       | Käerjéng           |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 8     | 1     | +7    | 6     | 
| 2nd   |       | Wiltz              |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 0     | +4    | 6     | 
[color="Blue"]| 3rd   |       | Rodange            |       | 2     | 2     | 0     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Cefn Druids        |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 2     | +3    | 4     | 
| 5th   |       | Mertzig            |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 1     | +3    | 4     | 
| 6th   |       | Airbus             |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 3     | +1    | 4     | 
| 7th   |       | US Rumelange       |       | 2     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 3     | 2     | +1    | 4     | 
| 8th   |       | Stalybridge        |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 2     | +2    | 3     | 
| 9th   |       | Sporting Steinfort |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 0     | 3     | 
| 10th  |       | Stocksbridge       |       | 2     | 1     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 3     | 
| 11th  |       | Chimney Corner     |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 1     | 
| 12th  |       | Pétange            |       | 2     | 0     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 1     | 
| 13th  |       | Alliance 01        |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 4     | -3    | 0     | 
| 14th  |       | Fola Esch          |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 6     | -5    | 0     | 
| 15th  |       | Wormeldange        |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 5     | -5    | 0     | 
| 16th  |       | CS Hobscheid       |       | 2     | 0     | 0     | 2     | 0     | 6     | -6    | 0     | 
|       |       |                    |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Certainly are, stoehrst! You might not like this though..

LUXEMBOURG FOOTBALL WEEKLY – FMS-Luxe Premier League Gameweek 3 – August 15th 2078

And here we are with our first review of the week’s events for the Premier League. A very interesting start has seen the impossible occur as our own Jeunesse Esch led by Bob Dillon romped to a magnificent two wins out of two. They played host to Celtic this week and there was massive cause and hope for another win. Expect a few upsets, too.

Villa Park – Aston Villa vs. Manchester United

Mark Wilson hasn’t enjoyed the best of starts this season with Manchester, especially after the 1-1 cup draw with East Fife. Aston Villa, under Joe Lolley, have also been less than emphatic, two draws from their opening league fixtures. The fans came out in force for this too as Villa took a surprise early lead through an even bigger surprise candidate. Reo-Coker broke the backline leaving Vidic for dead. He slotted the ball home with the poise and purpose of a striker, sending the fans wild. Manchester turned their style on and came back fighting, Rooney and Valencia wasting chances before Dimitar Berbatov struck just before the half hour mark with a sublime low drive from just outside the box. The first half was end to end stuff, but the game’s most important event happened four minutes into the second half. A delicious ball by Sidwell looped over Ferdinand and found Agbonlahor. No-one could catch him as he burst away, and he looped the ball over Van der Sar to put Villa back in front. Manchester looked devoid of ideas after that goal went in, and they succumbed to their first defeat of the season.

Aston Villa 2 (Reo-Coker 6, Agbonlahor 49)

Manchester United 1 (Berbatov 27)

Vicente Calderon – Atletico Madrid vs. Stade de Reims

Atletico have been playing fairly decently so far, and are unbeaten in the league in the two games they have played. Reims are in the same boat, having enjoyed a good start to what will definitely be a tough, tough season no matter what happens. This had all the promise to be a great game, and it started that way when Aguero smashed the crossbar with a strike before Forlan headed off the post. That was just the first three minutes. The game settled a little and both teams looked for a rhythm to play from. Atletico found theirs when Maxi Rodriguez beat four Reims players to eventually curl the ball past Ferrand in the Reims goal. Reims didn’t give up and they persevered, hitting the bar with a chip/shot/cross fluke from Gragnic. Atletico were too good at the back and did well to hold them out, but suffered when Antonio Lopez was stretchered off with a bad looking leg. Reims had one final chance to steal a point when Faure was played through in the last minute, but he couldn’t keep his nerve and sent his effort wide of the post to hand all the points to the Spanish outfit.

Atletico Madrid 1 (Rodriguez 26)

Stade de Reims 0

Gigante de Arroyito – Central Rosario vs. Newcastle United

Steve Stoehr always promised beautiful football from Newcastle United, but this season has yet to see any of that being given to the fans. Sitting without a win yet, they lined up against a side that had the same problem. They were lower than Newcastle having not picked up a point at all, and they looked like a side struggling when Lovenkrands beat the offside trap to bend the ball in with his left foot past Broun. The game however suffered a massive turn on its head when right back Danny Simpson hacked down Zelaya, resulting in a straight red for the former Manchester United man. Newcastle resounded back in shock, and it took eighteen minutes of pressure for Central to grab the equaliser. Castillejos rose highest above Coloccini to head home the leveller, Stoehr easily seeing what could happen here. Oddly enough he made no changes at half time and within two minutes Emilio Zelaya struck with a low drive from inside the box to put Central into a surprise lead. Newcastle plugged away, and despite bringing on Ameobi and Ranger they failed to make any impact, Castillejos finishing the Magpies off with a well executed freekick from twenty yards. It seems there may be some trouble in Geordieland.

Central Rosario 3 (Castillejos 35, 87, Zelaya 47)

Newcastle United 1 (Lovenkrands 15, Simpson s/off 18)

Stade de la Frontiere – AS La Jeunesse d’Esch-Alzette vs. Celtic

Both sides were unbeaten in the league heading into this season, and they knew that a place at the top of the table was at stake should either of them pick up the win. Many bets were placed on Jeunesse picking up their third shock victory of the season, but it just seemed unlikely when Giorgos Samaras headed in the first goal of the game after just ten minutes. Jeunesse tried to recoil back at them, but Samaras caught them out on the counter seventeen minutes later, Scott Brown playing him in to smash the ball past Schiltz. Jeunesse stemmed the tied as they headed into half time, but it mattered little as another forty five minutes of pounding awaited them. Mike Kowalski’s side looked well drilled and they showed it when two goals in two minutes put this game beyond doubt. The first came from Scott Brown, the midfielder curling a delicious freekick in before Marc-Antoine Fortune took the ball from the kickoff, rounded most of the team and struck a terrific twenty five yarder in for four nil. Spanish midfield general Marc Crosas finished the rout with a terrifically taken fifth, and with that Jeunesse were given a resounding bump back to earth.

AS La Jeunesse d’Esch-Alzette 0

Celtic 5 (Samaras 10, 27, Brown 56, Fortune 57, Crosas 77)

Ibrox – Rangers vs. AZ Alkmaar

Alkmaar manager Lee Kuai had been at the forefront of fans dissidence after their abysmal defeat to Rushden in the cup a few weeks back. Despite that, a win and a draw from their first league games is a decent return, while Rangers might be unbeaten but they haven’t won yet. They started the stronger though, and nearly made AZ pay when Boyd struck the post with a free header from a Mendes corner. Phil Sharp’s side didn’t look so sharp though, and it was disappointing to see them play so badly after their initially good start. AZ had lined up with the wrong formation for the game, and the first half saw them win more than 65% possession, with one forward on, they hadn’t got much to do with it. The second half looked to be more interesting when both sides made changes, and AZ lined up differently. It would be the substitute they brought on that would cause the most chaos, Dembele striking two excellent shots at McGregor’s goal, both being saved well. Broadfoot had a fine chance to score too, but he sent his header over. They slugged about until eventually Dembele broke past Weir and left him in the dust. He raced away and slotted home the ball to send AZ in front, and in turn eventually giving them the win. It was a totally disappointing game, but one that will have Mike Kowalski smiling for weeks.

Rangers 0

AZ Alkmaar 1 (Dembele 75)

The Madejski Stadium – Reading vs. Wigan Athletic

Both Wigan had enjoyed less than beautiful starts to the season, picking up a draw and defeat each to start their campaign. Rob Ridgway had spoken about how this was a winnable game, but he must have been furious when Wigan earned a penalty just ten minutes in, Pearce hauling down Scharner. Rodallega duly sent the ball smashing into the roof of the net to give Peace’s side the lead. Reading came back fighting, and the man responsible for the first goal got the equaliser, Alex Pearce rising majestically to head home a Kebe corner and level the tie. Sadly for Rob it lasted all of two minutes as Jason Scotland robbed Matejovsky of the ball and beat Federici at his near post to put Wigan back in front. The second couldn’t possibly have promised to be as exciting as the first, but it truly was. Three minutes in and Scotland had doubled his tally for the day by heading in his second, a Rodallega cross doing the justice for him. Reading turned on the passion and came at Wigan with everything they had but struggled to muster anything tangible. Rasiak gave them hope with a late strike, but time was against them and a last ditch save from Kirkland gave Wigan all three points.

Reading 2 (Pearce 37, Rasiak 89)

Wigan Athletic 3 (Rodallega pen10, Scotland 39, 48)

White Hart Lane – Tottenham Hotspur vs. Portsmouth

People had expected much more of Pompey’s start to the season, but two draws later and here they were. Spurs had looked marginally worse with just one draw and a loss, but they took the game to Pompey pretty early on. Crouch missed a fine chance to give his side the lead, as did Lennon. Portsmouth took the lead late in the first half when Keim played in Champion, who flicked it on to Barbu. The Romanian made no mistake in slotting it home and Spurs came alive at that point. Two minutes later and Lennon crossed in for Palacios to poke past Gibbons. With the score level at half time, it was unsure who would come out for it with the bigger intentions of winning. It turned out to be Spurs, Crouch needing just nine minutes to register a goal against his former side with a looped header. Pompey missed their chance to go level when Keim headed wide and Champion shot over, allowing Spurs to continue on and finish the game off with Crouch scoring a lucky goal with a flukey overhead kick. Daniel Knight looked furious on the sidelines with his sides capitulation, and they are now without a win in four.

Tottenham Hotspur 3 (Palacios 40, Crouch 54, 69)

Portsmouth 1 (Barbu 38)

Gameweek 3 Standings;

| 1st   |       | Celtic         |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 10    | 2     | +8    | 7     | 
| 2nd   |       | At. Madrid     |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 6     | 3     | +3    | 7     | 
| 3rd   |       | Jeunesse Esch  |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Aston Villa    |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 5     | 4     | +1    | 5     | 
| 5th   |       | AZ             |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 5     | 
| 6th   |       | Tottenham      |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 5     | 4     | +1    | 4     | 
| 7th   |       | Man Utd        |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 5     | 5     | 0     | 4     | 
| 8th   |       | Stade de Reims |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 0     | 4     | 
| 9th   |       | Wigan          |       | 3     | 1     | 1     | 1     | 7     | 8     | -1    | 4     | 
| 10th  |       | Central        |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 3     | 
| 11th  |       | Rangers        |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 2     | 3     | -1    | 2     | 
| 12th  |       | Portsmouth     |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 1     | 3     | -2    | 2     | 
[color="red"]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 13th  |       | Reading        |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 1     | 
| 14th  |       | Newcastle      |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 6     | -3    | 1     | 

Archived