Look i'm sorry but I have to say this.

After playing the PC version for this game for the last 10 years or so I feel I can make this comment with an honest heart.

I honestly feel the realism of results is unbelievable within the handheld version. I only recently got a PSP back and decided to play the lastest Football Manager Handheld 2008 but i'm going nutz trying to play it.

I start a game as Chelsea, and before you say it, not because i'm a glory hunter, or want loads of money to spend on players blah blah blah, but because i'm a CFC fan. I've been trying to play this game and I just can't, the results are too ridiculous.

Recently i've watched all the bashing of the PC version within the other forum and I have to say that most of it is just complete rubbish but there ya go, everyone can have a say I suppose. But one thing I will say is that the PC version is SO SO SO much more in line with real-life results and how things would turn out on an average scale.

I've lost count of the ammount and games i've lost to the crappiest teams possible, it's not real. People might then wanna start off saying that it's all down to tactics, etc. Believe me, I know how the play the game, i've been here with these guys since the 94/95 season of Championship Manager 2 so I know what i'm doing.

I'll literally play the same basic team with the same kinda formations etc as the PC version although it refuses to act even sort of the same. I'd love to know if this game is running with the same type of processes and formulations in programming terms to create the results because I just can't see how thats possible.

This is'nt actually meant to be a bash at a great game because i've been reading enough of thoush childish rants in the PC forum, I just want to know if the game is built within the same programming formulations etc as it's PC brother.

Thanks for listening. I expect to get a load of child-like responses to this but it would be nice to hear some honest practical information to go along with my querys.

After playing the PC version for this game for the last 10 years or so I feel I can make this comment with an honest heart.

I honestly feel the realism of results is unbelievable within the handheld version. I only recently got a PSP back and decided to play the lastest Football Manager Handheld 2008 but i'm going nutz trying to play it.

I start a game as Chelsea, and before you say it, not because i'm a glory hunter, or want loads of money to spend on players blah blah blah, but because i'm a CFC fan. I've been trying to play this game and I just can't, the results are too ridiculous.

Recently i've watched all the bashing of the PC version within the other forum and I have to say that most of it is just complete rubbish but there ya go, everyone can have a say I suppose. But one thing I will say is that the PC version is SO SO SO much more in line with real-life results and how things would turn out on an average scale.

I've lost count of the ammount and games i've lost to the crappiest teams possible, it's not real. People might then wanna start off saying that it's all down to tactics, etc. Believe me, I know how the play the game, i've been here with these guys since the 94/95 season of Championship Manager 2 so I know what i'm doing.

I'll literally play the same basic team with the same kinda formations etc as the PC version although it refuses to act even sort of the same. I'd love to know if this game is running with the same type of processes and formulations in programming terms to create the results because I just can't see how thats possible.

This is'nt actually meant to be a bash at a great game because i've been reading enough of thoush childish rants in the PC forum, I just want to know if the game is built within the same programming formulations etc as it's PC brother.

Thanks for listening. I expect to get a load of child-like responses to this but it would be nice to hear some honest practical information to go along with my querys.

• SI Staff

Hi,

Can you possibly indicate the type of formation you're using?

I'd expect that a simple 4-4-2 with pressing, short passing, attacking mentality and hard tackling would give you a very competitive shot at the title as Chelsea personally ....

With a team full of stars you don't really need to do anything complicated.

If you want to play a game to win then I'd do what Chelsea have often done in the past and close games down using their quality to score even if they have limited chances - if you want to take this approach use a formation with a defensive midfielder in front of the defense to shore things up more and use say 'Normal' mentality ...

Hey Marc,

First off, I genuinely appreciate you taking to time to answer my question. Nice one fella.

Ah well, I'll give it another shot. I swear i'm pulling my hair out alot more then i'm used to with the PC version anyhow. I dont wanna be bitching about an excellent product at the end of the day i know you and the testing team etc have put alot of time and effort into it, it's just been driving me nutz that I can't even win games with Chelsea. God knows what will happen when I start a season with Cardiff.. lol

Thanks for anwsering the back-end question too. It dosen't really suprised me that your using an older more evolved engine as the first thing that actially grabbed me was the thought of the good old text-only commentery days. icon_smile.gif

I'm not gonna give in, been playing this game far too long, just annoys me like it does to everyone else at times. Plus moving onto the PSP version from the PC is always going to be a different challenge which I should really expect.

Anyway. Thanks again. icon_wink.gif

Hey Marc,

First off, I genuinely appreciate you taking to time to answer my question. Nice one fella.

Ah well, I'll give it another shot. I swear i'm pulling my hair out alot more then i'm used to with the PC version anyhow. I dont wanna be bitching about an excellent product at the end of the day i know you and the testing team etc have put alot of time and effort into it, it's just been driving me nutz that I can't even win games with Chelsea. God knows what will happen when I start a season with Cardiff.. lol

Thanks for anwsering the back-end question too. It dosen't really suprised me that your using an older more evolved engine as the first thing that actially grabbed me was the thought of the good old text-only commentery days. icon_smile.gif

I'm not gonna give in, been playing this game far too long, just annoys me like it does to everyone else at times. Plus moving onto the PSP version from the PC is always going to be a different challenge which I should really expect.

Anyway. Thanks again. icon_wink.gif

Oh, forgot to mention my formations. I generally swap between a 4-4-2 attacking and 4-4-2 diamond with Chelsea, short-pass/pressing/counter-attack.

I've never had alot of problems with those type of formations on the PC although it's going down in flames on the PSP currently. Can't say i've tried sticking the boot in much with hard tackling although it's a thought. lol

Anyhow, have a happy xmas dude. Suppose you don't have to worry about the other-half buying you FM2008. icon_wink.gif lol

I'd say it is your tactic.....

I had taken a couple of years out of FM scene (got a wife that doesn't appreciate being sat on the sofa whilst i'm glued to the laptop...??!?!) but recently bought a PSP to play the game on my commute. I think it is superb, easy to use, basic but the most important part of Tactics and Selections is awesome!

I play as Liverpool with a slightly changed version of 4132 - currently i am top of the league by 8 points and have beaten Chelsea, Arsenal and drew with Man U away, the cups look good and i qualified for the QF's of the champs league.

There are people on the forum that manage to take teams from the conference to the top of the prem so IMO i'd be looking at changing tactics or selling Big Fat Frank and getting a decentt midfielder.... icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same troubles as Purplehaze420. I'm playing with Man Utd and can't seem to win many games and am losing to teams that I should easily beat. I am using attacking,short,counter,menbehindball. During games that I'm losing I tend to tinker with formation/team instructions/player instructions, but this doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MoButt:

I'm having the same troubles as Purplehaze420. I'm playing with Man Utd and can't seem to win many games and am losing to teams that I should easily beat. I am using attacking,short,counter,menbehindball. During games that I'm losing I tend to tinker with formation/team instructions/player instructions, but this doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im currently Man.Utd i won the title in my 1st season by 12 points im using the same tactic again in the 2nd season just to make sure it wasnt a fluke before i post it.

When i post it ill put it in the Tactics 08 thread

Archived