My Next Project : Project Mourinho

Was there any type of goal you were conceeding most of? Like balls over the top, through balls, crosses?

I feel that the opposition score more freely with passes through the middle. I wouldn't say I notice too much goals from crosses or balls over the top. It is definately through balls and passes through the middle.

I've just played Auxerre with you 'Control' tactic, and lost the match 1-0, now I seemed to create more chances than them, I was undefeated with your version 1 tactic, but since using Dominate and Control I have now lost 3 games. Luckily I saved my game just before the Auxerre games, so I have replayed it with your Version 1 tactic, and will play it again with the Dominate tactic to see the rough difference (I know 1 match wont matter too much, but at least I can see how they play)

Lyon 2-1 Auxerre (Version 1 tactic) - We played better, and were unlucky to lose the goal, which was a corner

Lyon 0-1 Auxerre (Control tactic) - Didn't play brilliant, but created more chances than version 1. Auxerre passed through the middle for there goal

Lyon 0-1 Auxerre (Dominate tactic) - Created about the same chances as with version 1, but Auxerre scored there goal, which was a through ball from just past the half way line!

Steve

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justified - Would it be worth trying to make the 442 more like the one that Jose Mourinho uses in real life, and in the game e.g. 4-3-1-2 with the playmaker being the AMC, this may also help opposition central midfielders to stay a little further up the pitch, to cover the AMC, also it would make it more realistic?

Steve

I do apologize to everyone but I simply haven't got the time at the moment to update this thread. Work is getting a bit hectic and I thought this would be a nice quiet period where I could help people and release tactics (Well I did release the Play Like Pep I guess). Hopefully in future I can release some new tactics (I can always release my Liverpool 4-2-3-1) but for now this thread must lay in peace until I actually have the time to keep testing. However by the time I do I'm sure a new match has come out and work on FM11 has already started :p

Sorry to inconvenience anyone and given any "false hope" to releasing a good set of tactics :)

I do apologize to everyone but I simply haven't got the time at the moment to update this thread. Work is getting a bit hectic and I thought this would be a nice quiet period where I could help people and release tactics (Well I did release the Play Like Pep I guess). Hopefully in future I can release some new tactics (I can always release my Liverpool 4-2-3-1) but for now this thread must lay in peace until I actually have the time to keep testing. However by the time I do I'm sure a new match has come out and work on FM11 has already started :p

Sorry to inconvenience anyone and given any "false hope" to releasing a good set of tactics :)

Thats a real shame Justified, I think you are really onto something with this tactic. Hopefully you will still have a little time to play FM and maybe develope the tactic slowly.

Steve

Hi lads.

Was just wondering if someone could test something out for me. I was fooling around a little yesterday with my Liverpool save and I had a match away to Chelsea and had massive injuries to my wingers (I normally play 4-2-3-1) so I wanted to try the 4-1-3-2 but couldn't be arsed to do everything on classic and just went with the TC. It seems perfectly possibly to replicate the Distruptive Mourinho type of play with the TC judging by the match. I won 3-0 looking very stable in defence and the players ran their arses off.

Basically I set it up like this -

Philosophy - Very Rigid

Starting Strategy - Defensive

Passing - More Direct

Creative Freedom - More Disiciplined

Closing Down - Press More

Tackling - More Aggressive

Marking - Man Marking

Crossing - Float Crosses

Roaming - Stick To Position

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR/DL - Wing Back (Auto)

DC® - Central Defender (Defend)

DC(l) - Central Defender (Cover)

DMC - Anchor Man (Defend)

MC(r/l) - Central Midfielder (Support)

MC© - Advanced Playmaker (Attack)

ST® - Complete Striker (Attack)

ST(l) - Poacher (Attack)

Manual changes were free roles given to the Poacher and Advanced Midfielder and TTB Often on the Advanced Playmaker (due to shouts been used in game).

After that I just used the shouts I used for my "Play Like Pep" tactic ( http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=179370 ) and it seemed to work well.

However i don't have the time to test run it but if people are still reading this thread it could well be worth exploring :)

EDIT If you were to go 433 instead change the Complete striker to Support and assign two wingers to attacking inside forwards taking off one of the supporting central midfielders. Didn't test that but that's what I'd do :)

Really interesting topic. I set my own tactic up after reading your first post using the Tactic Creator. It looks very similar to the setup above.

The differences are that I play a rigid philosopy, default creative freedom, zonal marking, default crossing and roaming.

Playing with Melbourne Victory I am having a great start to my season.

Pos 1st P6 W4 D2 L0 F9 A3

We are having alot of possesion and creating lots of chances. I believe the level that the team is playing at hinders the tactic when going forward as we are not scoring alot of the chances, most being one on ones. At the back we are reducing the opponents chances to being from long range.

I am also looking to change the tackling from more aggressive to being more player specific as we are collecting a lot of bookings and the match reports are commenting "Melbourne Victory FC covered alot of ground but also conceded far too many fouls, meaning their efforts was often for noting."

Just read through the thread, very interesting reading. I agree with pretty much every point you've made Justified. Just been watching that "Football's Next Star" on Sky1 and got me in the mood to play as Inter. Just started up a game and downloaded your 4-4-2's, going to give them a try out, will post results in a bit.

Any idea's when the 4-3-3 will be ready? I'm very interested in having 2 interchangeable tactics where I wouldn't have to alter the core of the team to accommodate both.

Edit: Sorry didn't notice there were 2 pages so didn't see your post about not having time to finish the set. I might have a go at trying the 4-3-3 once I get used to the 4-4-2.

I've setup the 4-3-3 with my palace team in the first season and I've got generally good results, the only difference I've made is having a deep lying striker instead of a complete striker

Now my palace team has no additions due to money constraints and they have a slow back line but i've left it as default and they dont really get caught out on the break, the advanced playmaker and the striker score consistantly, using danns as the current playmaker and alan lee as the striker who is woeful to be fair (asst man says he is league one quality), I used a quicker striker (scannell) in the striker role and he scored alot more but got injured and moses just cant play that position well.

The team play in a very controller manner, keeping the ball and playing it into the spaces, with the deep lying striker pulling defenders out of the way the inside forwards get more of the ball nearer the goal and although not scoring much themselves will slide it in to the striker or back to the play maker just outside the box to score

I've used the tactic for the last 15 games and have P15 W9 D3 L2, boro and forest cained me 3-0 away but my team needs alot of work, with better players I can see this tactic being more successful, I have 4 games to go to finish this league and I should make the play offs, I'll let you know how season 2 goes :)

Been using the 4-3-3 with Man. Utd. at the moment, and 2 games 2 wins. 4-0 against QPR and 2-0 against Chelsea. Nice possession and nice ball control and some goal opportunities. Need to play a few more games though. But with my team almost any tactic will work :p

Been using the 4-3-3 with Man. Utd. at the moment, and 2 games 2 wins. 4-0 against QPR and 2-0 against Chelsea. Nice possession and nice ball control and some goal opportunities. Need to play a few more games though. But with my team almost any tactic will work :p

What 4-3-3? are you talking about the Pep tactic?

• 4 weeks later...

In my Sporting game I use that 4-1-3-2 with forwards who like to move a lot into channels,etc. and players like affelay or granero as "wide" midfielders.

Example of midfielders:

affelay - dzagoev - moutinho

veloso

a good defensive midfielder that can move the ball around(even if those are not his main instructions),a great playmaker in mid.On one "wing" afellay,clearly an offensive midfielder,on the other wing moutinho offering consistency.

It took a while for the players to learn it and a lot of tinkering but the central midfielders now go into wide positions a lot with support from strikers and occasionally from the full-backs.

A player like Moutinho for me was the most important in this tactic to offer that solidity one is looking for.

Hi lads.

Was just wondering if someone could test something out for me. I was fooling around a little yesterday with my Liverpool save and I had a match away to Chelsea and had massive injuries to my wingers (I normally play 4-2-3-1) so I wanted to try the 4-1-3-2 but couldn't be arsed to do everything on classic and just went with the TC. It seems perfectly possibly to replicate the Distruptive Mourinho type of play with the TC judging by the match. I won 3-0 looking very stable in defence and the players ran their arses off.

Basically I set it up like this -

Philosophy - Very Rigid

Starting Strategy - Defensive

Passing - More Direct

Creative Freedom - More Disiciplined

Closing Down - Press More

Tackling - More Aggressive

Marking - Man Marking

Crossing - Float Crosses

Roaming - Stick To Position

GK - Goalkeeper (Defend)

DR/DL - Wing Back (Auto)

DC® - Central Defender (Defend)

DC(l) - Central Defender (Cover)

DMC - Anchor Man (Defend)

MC(r/l) - Central Midfielder (Support)

MC© - Advanced Playmaker (Attack)

ST® - Complete Striker (Attack)

ST(l) - Poacher (Attack)

Manual changes were free roles given to the Poacher and Advanced Midfielder and TTB Often on the Advanced Playmaker (due to shouts been used in game).

After that I just used the shouts I used for my "Play Like Pep" tactic ( http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=179370 ) and it seemed to work well.

However i don't have the time to test run it but if people are still reading this thread it could well be worth exploring :)

EDIT If you were to go 433 instead change the Complete striker to Support and assign two wingers to attacking inside forwards taking off one of the supporting central midfielders. Didn't test that but that's what I'd do :)

Hey mate been using this for a good run of games, seems to be extremely solid at the back, normally keep clean sheets. However, it seems to lack goals. Also noticed that on 10.2 I was dominating the game keeping possession, but on 10.3 I hardly get a sniff...

Some changes I made: gave the Advanced Playmaker alot of creative freedom, I change the Defensive line before every match depending on what my Ass man says the opposition struggle with. I also use short passing for dry matches and direct for wet weather.

• 3 weeks later...
I would have to disagree on the high tempo. Resting on the ball doesn't mean playing high tempo. Passing isn't global for the whole team. I think the 2 DC's + DM are on short, the fullbacks on direct, 2MC's on mixed, AM + FC on short. The fullbacks have no FWR runs, as he wants to keep things tight on defense - but he makes an exception for Maicon. If Mourinho wants to go more attacking he changes the whole formation - 4-3-3, 4-2-4 or 3-4-3. He chose not to use the 4-3-3 at Inter because Mancini (remember him?) and Quaresma are a bust and Balotelli isn't really a winger. If I were to use Inter I would go for this:

GK - Cesar - goalkeeper - defend

DR - Maicon - fullback - attack

DL - Chivu - fullback - support

DC - Lucio - defender - cover

DC - Samuel - defender - defend

MCd - Cambiaso - Ball-winning midfielder - defend

MCr - Stankovic - center midfielder - support

MCl - Muntari - same

AMC - Snejider - advanced playmaker - attack

FC - Eto'o - poacher - attack

FC - Milito - advanced forward - attack

Rigid Philosophy

Standart Strategy

Passing more direct

Pressing more

Less roaming

I don't know if I will have the time to test it now, as I'm too much into my Barca game at the moment - playing just like Pep, Justified but mostly using my own settings with few helpful tweaks from yours. Good luck with this one though.

I gave this set up as suggested by yonko a go with my Blackburn team, second season and still mostly the original players. Just 2 good strikers in Dzeko and Chamakh and Buonanotte is AMC.

Worked fantasitcally well so far, started with a 3-1 win over Man U, then 3-0 away to Sunderland and 4-1 away to Sheff Utd. Dominated chances and posession in all 3 games.

I know it's only 3 games, but I've really sruggled to get goal sand play well with this side, never able to dominate games, just winnign by 1 goal on the counter-attack. I'm in March and have a goal difference of +9 despite being 6th. So this tactic has been a really nice change. Just think it's worth exploring some more, I'm starting to put my own tweaks on it, like the set pieces and crossing instructions. And using touchline shouts for retaining possession, which I think Jose himself would go with at key points during the game (like just after scoring).

Not bad for an 'off the cuff' idea.

• 4 weeks later...

After being the biggest fan of the "Play Like Pep" formation Justified did last time I was a late converter to try this formation.

Mainly due to

A - Not being able to use shouts (so thinking this will need alot of tinker during the game to get the best out of it)

B - A formation without wingers annoys me, gotta love your wingers!

Alas, after doing ... alright ... after 2 or 3 great seasons with PLP I needed a change as the end of season 3 was rubbish. Starting to realise if you want to play like Pep you need a team like Barcelona or at least a half decent team :D which was fine for me being Newcastle in the Championship but with the team I had couldn't pass through teams like Tottenham, Citeh and Everton like I could Swansea, Sheff Utd and Forest.

So tried this.

After about 25 games I'm still top of the league now!!

The first something like 12 games I won 11 drew one!

This formation managed to get more out of slightly above average players!

Without wingers you just get more out of your full backs coming forward and of course 2 strikers mean they can help each other out.

And without shouts its easier with these two formations as you can easily flick between the 2. Of course it would have given more variety if my man Justfied finished making the other 4 formations but flicking between 2 formations depending on how your doing in a game is no hardship!!

So to finish, JUSTIFIED COME BACK! I want them other formations you discussed!

Might put up some screen shots later if I can be arshed.

GIVE THESE FORMATIONS A TRY, YOUR WONT REGRET IT!

jo-say MOUR-RIIIIII-NEY-HOOOOO

jo-say MOUR-RIIIIII-NEY-HOOOOO

\o/

Justified.

Thanks for the very impressive tactic and general contribution to the forum. I don't post very often and tend to just download a plug and play tactic when playing the game as due to work i rarely have the time to invest in tactic creating and tweaking. Anyway ive been using Mr Hough's tactics with significant success until recently. As Ive now found myself with some more time due to having had an ACL reconstruction and getting 6 weeks off work ive decided to create my own tactic and try to understand the match engine a bit more.

I read your thread on the nike defence and noticed that you had implemented it with this tactic do ive switched to the dominate version for my last 10 games to see how it works as i really want to create a mean defence and it seems this type of defence is by far the most effective.

Anyway the tactic has worked as i expected. Played 10 and only conceded 6 (1 penalty and 1 from a corner)

The results were:

1-1

5-0

1-1

2-0

3-1

6-1

5-0

0-1

1-1

4-0

Next stage is to have a good read through Cleons tactic builder guide and see what i come up with.

Again thanks for the tactic and the contribution in general.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

monsieur mourinho may be proud of me

i just restarted a new save with newcastle (updated to the current squad), halfway through the season and i'm happy to have kept quite a number of clean sheets and managed to play negative (sometimes boring) football with counter attacks against top teams in premier league

here are some of the success of mourinho football

poolaway.jpg

manutd.jpg

mancityaway.jpg

chelseaaway.jpg

for games against stronger sides, i mainly play 4-1-3-2 with defenders & dmc on zonal marking, tight marking on for the 3 midfielders (closing down set to 10-12 depending on opposition midfield), high closing down on the forwards. my main object is to minimise the number of clear cut chances - i'm happy to let the other team shoot from long range or cross from the flanks. and i'm one who don't like the new tactic creator so i do my .tac the old method with sliders

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived