AI transfer policy!?

Why the hell does top teams sign over 26 y.o. mediocre players? Especially after couple of seasons, it seems to be tradition. Suddenly there star players nearing 30 are transfer listed and in have come some dubious underskilled players, who all starting the match. Also AI disrespects star players 30-34 y.o. who have been succesful for them over 10 years, by sending them reserves and transfer listing, even if they are still quality (In my 4th season happend to Drogba and Lampard, who were still best of the rest).

Other problem is when AI is buying new players to position, where they already have couple of class players, again why?

These issues are bothering me and should be improved in the future.

Everything else is good ;)

I spotted lampard rotting away in the chelsea reserves transfer listed a season or 2 ago. He still had world class stats at 33 so I thought an offer of first team football might tempt him to kettering. So I made a loan bid, chelsea accepted but he turned us down.

Glad to hear, that it's a known issue. Hopefully they will improve it in the next patch. Can't say fix, because strange things happen in the football world and that makes it fun.

They should try to make AI transfers more reasonable, so that every signing has a exact purpose. How challenging would that be?

I bought David Bentley with Milan for £11M. He played ok off the bench for a few weeks, then got homesick. I sent him home & he was rubbish and kept complaining about not fitting in. I finally transfer listed him and Real came in with a bid of £20M. Couple of things here that make no sense: 1) Bentley wasn't playing very well so why should I make a profit so fast, 2) he is unable to play for Real because he already played for Tottenham & Milan in one season, 3) why does he think he can adjust to playing at Real over Milan?, and 4) Real didn't need him -- they already have Ronaldo and Ribery and signed a few other wingers. So weird. I took the money though :)

I don't know anything about programming, but if every competitive team would have secret overall rating and their mission would be to increase that rating now or in the future by signing new players or atleast improving certin position, then that would make things harder for us players. Or they sign someone cheap, to sell him later with profit (bosman).

anyways just my thoughts :)

i have sold so many stars to clubs and then they never play for their new club.

i like to think its because i got the best out of said player, but it is a bit silly when someone buys my star striker for £15m and then never plays him because they have 4 guys in front of him already

The flawed transfer system is something that has annoyed me to no end for a while now. Not just with FM10 but with previous versions as well. I can't really understand why it's so flawed either, even after all this time and development. Top clubs just keep throwing money at everything they see, continously ignoring what they already have. I take great pride in the fact that I usually can make the most out of my squad. The AI managers however just can't. They have no understanding - at all - of how you properly balance a squad and nurture young players. Just sending them out on loan every season is not enough. I've seen so many promising youngsters being continuously loaned out to smaller clubs just to be transfer listed in the third or so season. You might argue that this is somewhat realistic but the managers don't seem to know what they're doing. I can't see any artificial intelligence behind the decisions - only programming.

Perhaps limiting the manager's power in the transfer market would be a solution? Making chairmen a bit more relevant and influential. I mean, if SI bothered to include chairmen overriding the manager's authority by accepting bids for players, why not expand on that? Make them put restrictions on manager's transfer policies. F. Perez, for example, would probably not look too kindly on Pellegrini planning to buy a mediocre 26+ fringe player that has already proven to be somewhat of a flop in his current club (these things happen often in FM10). It's quite silly that top managers can just throw 10M+ at strange fringe players that have no real business at the club - considering the options already available. This is where I want the chairman to say No and remind the manager of the stability of the current squad. This, however, has every chance of breeding a myriad of new bugs, with chairmen restricting you of buying players when you actually need them, etc.

But I don't care what your reputation as a manager is - you can't just throw whatever money you like at whoever you like. There has to be some kind of reason and logic behind it. Of course the higher your reputation the more freedom and confidence you get - but it's never unlimited.

Furthermore, the lack of loyalty in clubs regarding long-time servants is also something that should be looked into, like the OP mentioned. You don't just put a player like Raúl on the transfer list. You can let him know that he probably won't be able to compete for a place anymore in the squad and that may prompt him to retire - or something. But transfer listing a club legend? Would Chelsea transfer list a 36 year old John Terry? Would Man Utd transfer list an aging Rio Ferdinand? No, they wouldn't (probably). If that were the case then Fergie would have got rid of Gary Neville a long time ago. Make loyalty count for something. There is no doubt in my mind that both the chairman and the fans would turn against the manager if he decided to list a club legend without any good reason.

the transfer module was supposedly rewritten a few games back and it saddens me to say it, but its really no improvement at all. weve seen players being too easy to sell, too hard to sell, worth too much, worth too little.....but we are yet to see it working properly.

The flawed transfer system is something that has annoyed me to no end for a while now. Not just with FM10 but with previous versions as well. I can't really understand why it's so flawed either, even after all this time and development. Top clubs just keep throwing money at everything they see, continously ignoring what they already have. I take great pride in the fact that I usually can make the most out of my squad. The AI managers however just can't. They have no understanding - at all - of how you properly balance a squad and nurture young players. Just sending them out on loan every season is not enough. I've seen so many promising youngsters being continuously loaned out to smaller clubs just to be transfer listed in the third or so season. You might argue that this is somewhat realistic but the managers don't seem to know what they're doing. I can't see any artificial intelligence behind the decisions - only programming.

Perhaps limiting the manager's power in the transfer market would be a solution? Making chairmen a bit more relevant and influential. I mean, if SI bothered to include chairmen overriding the manager's authority by accepting bids for players, why not expand on that? Make them put restrictions on manager's transfer policies. F. Perez, for example, would probably not look too kindly on Pellegrini planning to buy a mediocre 26+ fringe player that has already proven to be somewhat of a flop in his current club (these things happen often in FM10). It's quite silly that top managers can just throw 10M+ at strange fringe players that have no real business at the club - considering the options already available. This is where I want the chairman to say No and remind the manager of the stability of the current squad. This, however, has every chance of breeding a myriad of new bugs, with chairmen restricting you of buying players when you actually need them, etc.

But I don't care what your reputation as a manager is - you can't just throw whatever money you like at whoever you like. There has to be some kind of reason and logic behind it. Of course the higher your reputation the more freedom and confidence you get - but it's never unlimited.

Furthermore, the lack of loyalty in clubs regarding long-time servants is also something that should be looked into, like the OP mentioned. You don't just put a player like Raúl on the transfer list. You can let him know that he probably won't be able to compete for a place anymore in the squad and that may prompt him to retire - or something. But transfer listing a club legend? Would Chelsea transfer list a 36 year old John Terry? Would Man Utd transfer list an aging Rio Ferdinand? No, they wouldn't (probably). If that were the case then Fergie would have got rid of Gary Neville a long time ago. Make loyalty count for something. There is no doubt in my mind that both the chairman and the fans would turn against the manager if he decided to list a club legend without any good reason.

If SI could give chairmen the intelligence to know when a deal is stupid then surely they would programme it to the managers

Something else that I have noticed is, say Man United for example, will buy a rather good player and bench him/not play him whatsoever. They will then hold onto him for seasons and seasons, while he could be playing good football at another club. Eventually, the player just gets released from their contract or I buy them myself :D. Surely if a player is surplus to that degree they will get sold?

I also would notice what the original poster said, the likes of Didier Drogba being in the reserves until his contract expires - I mean surely, if Chelsea were to believe he wasn't good enough for playing time, they'd sell him? I do not think that Drogba is the type to sit in the reserves, no matter how old he gets.

If anybody else commented on this, I apologise, I only read the opening post.

Man U bought Shawcross for £12 million, he played 2 games in two years and they sold him to Wolves for £2.2 million.

The annoying thing is I actually wanted him but he was always going to pick them over me and then he never played. I would of actually set him up on a proper training schedule and developed him but instead he's basically ruined on this particular save.

id be interested to know what are the details of the algorithm SI are using to make transfers. id say it is doing ok, but it is obviously quite complex as I myself have noticed that big clubs do tend to buy average players and never play them

it might not be entirely a transfer issue though, there could be a problem with how the AI judges the quality of a squad, eg, AI judges Barca as needing better midfielders which leads to stupid transfers.

My all-time favorite AI transfer was this, Aiden McGeady first went to Man City for 17 million, made 5 appearances with average form of 6.84 which was enough to impress everyone in Real Madrid, who made a bid of 45 million pounds for this world-class superstar. He is currently in his first season in Madrid, having made 6 appearances out of 28 league games, and averaged 5.84.

McGeady's history

McGeady's profile

Guest El Payaso

Excellent thread! I've been gutted about this thing too in several versions. Some things just don't make sence at all. The thing that annoys me the most is the fact that in about two years Italy is full of British players (currently there is only Beckham IRL?) same thing in Spain (14/15 Barcelona has Darron Gibson... who is just really bad player and he still managed to score 5 goals in 14 matches.) and English teams buy Italian and Spanish players (you could imagine Liverpool buying Spanish but not Chelsea buiying players like Santi Cazorla who is good in Spain but never physical enough to EPL, you all saw how Quaresma played there...)

This thing needs to be sorted out because it's almost as annoying as the match engine is at the moment.

Archived