A Season in Detail - Tactics, Teamtalks, Personnal and Finances

As a devoted FM fan, I have spent hours, days, and weeks playing this game over the last decade. When I began, I made my tactics with great attention to detail and won a lot of silverware. Over time my approach to the game changed. Eventually I began just playing the transfer windows, and holidaying large chunks of the season leaving my assistant to use my tactics and maintain success. This year however, things have changed. There is greater emphasis on squad management, team talks, and general morale. When this slips, you lose points. So I’m making this thread to discuss/share my experience taking full control. Having read a number of these threads, in particular those of wwfan and cleon, I have a fair idea of what works, and what doesn’t, and any further advice input throughout my journey would be well received.

Goals :

Win as much silverware as possible

Emphasis of developing my own players rather than buying in bulk

Developing a Plug and Play tactic which looks good and gets results

Perfect training and youth facilities

Key Ideas :

Implementing the teamtalks of Bubbabaytuna

In depth defensive analysis

In depth attacking analysis

Monitoring of clubs finances

Every five games I will write a report on these areas, and my ideas to improve these areas, and what effect the last round of changes have made. I would encourage any input from you to help improve my game also.

Game Settings :

Nations Loaded : Brazil (to second division)

Database Size : Medium

Past Experience : Automatic

Introduction to Club :

Fluminense

Chairman Status : Willing to listen to offers

Estimated Value : 13.25m (52m in debt)

Stadium : Maracana

Capacity : 92000

Training Facilities : Good

Youth Facilities : State of the Art + Youth Acadmey

Continental Competition : Copa Sudamerica

Media Prediction :14th

History :

Copa Libertadores : 2008

Brazilian Cup : 2007

Brazilian First Division : 1984

Rio State Championship : Won on 30 occasions

Tactical Approach :

I favour an attacking, attractive approach and get great satisfaction out of experimenting with new concepts. I like all 11 of my players to be comfortable on the ball as well as pace and a strong work ethic. My approach here will be no different. I would hope to average in excess of 2.0 goals per game, whilst conceding under 1.0 per game. My team settings can be found below, as well as my ideas on what is important for each player

Team Settings :

Strategy – Fluid

Mentality – Attacking

Passing – Shorter

Creative Freedom – More Expressive

Closing Down – Press More

Tackling – More Aggressive

Marking – Man Marking

Crosses – Float Crosses

Roaming – Default

Defensive Line – Push Up

Width – Narrow

Tempo – Normal

Time Wasting – Rarely

Focus Passing – Mixed

Counter Attack – Yes

Play Offside - No

Individual Settings :

Goalkeeper – Sweeper Keeper – Attacking

Standard goalkeeper attributes as well as strong Acceleration and Decisions

Sweeper – Libero – Attacking

Decisions are crucial. Aerially strong, Positioning, Passing, Creativity

Right Back – Wingback – Support

Marking, Positioning, Acceleration, Pace, Dribbling, Crossing

Left Back – Wingback – Support

See Right Back

Centre Back – Ball Playing Defender – Defensive

Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Heading, Jumping, Strength, Acceleration, Pace

Centre Back – Ball Playing Defender – Defensive

See Centre Back

Centre Mid – Deep Lying Playmaker – Support

Decisions, Passing, Creativity, Tackling, Positioning, Long Shots

Centre Mid – Advanced Playmaker – Attacking

Decisions, Passing, Creativity, Long Shots, Teamwork, Technique, Long Shots

Wide Striker Right – Inside Forward – Attacking

Acceleration, Pace, Dribbling, Passing, Finishing, Off the Ball, Composure

Wide Striker Left - Inside Forward – Attacking

Acceleration, Pace, Dribbling, Passing, Finishing, Off the Ball, Composure

Striker – Advanced Forward - Attacking

Acceleration, Pace, Heading, Jumping, Strength, Finishing, Composure, Off the Ball

Universal Attributes – Teamwork, Workrate, Passing, Stamina, Technique

On top of this I need a left and right footed player to take my free kicks and corners. Preferably they should be either the wide strikers or center mids, as this wont interrupt my set piece regime.

Day One :

Probably the biggest day in my season. The things I look to achieve here are:

Set up my tactic (as seen above)

Filter through my team, transfer listing the worthless, and loan listing the promising.

Set up my teams training. Personally I like everyone on broad schedules so their stats approve across the board. As a free-flowing team I want my men to be comfortable on attack and defense.

Team Settings : Assistant can organise friendlies and handle press conferences. I handle contacts across the board, and want my youth and reserve team to play my formation as well.

Staff : Hiring and Firing day. My main man here is my assistant. I look for JPP, JPA, Motivating, Tactical Knowledge, and Man Management. 10 staff were sacked at a cost of 575k. However this is a one off expense and means I can get some quality in. I believe the staff are as important as the players.

Friendly : Arrange friendly with reserves to see what Im working with. On this occasion ive cancelled the prearranged friednlies as we have a long season ahead, and the Rio Championship starts with some straight forward matches to build up our fitness.

Affiliated Clubs : Cancelled a link with Manchester United as it provide no benefit for me at all. I have a loan agreement with America(RJ) who are a useful side. I will ask the board to find another feeder club and possibly a parent club. Ideally wealthy.

Finances

I decided to set my goal as a top half finish. This allows me 550k for transfers and a wage budget of 210k, of which im currently using 173k. We will retain 25% of any transfer fees. The balance stands at 343k, although we will be paying 132k per month for the next 39 years. Sponsorship wise, we currently make 9m a year.

Many thanks for the support guys, should be an interesting journey

Heres an overview of the squad and my new Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager

Claudio Grillo was signed from Bahia for 110k. He pretty much got the job by default as he was the one guy I could afford who met my needs. JPA/JPP are both 15, this is crucial as his advice will assist me in my team selections and players futures. He also has good stats in Man Management, Tactical Knowledge, and Motivating.

Three new scouts also joined the Backroom on free transfers. All of these have a minimum of 15 for JPA/JPP.

Squad

Goalkeepers

Fernando Henrique (1 Cap), Rafael, and Ricardo Berna are all very similar keepers, of similar ability. Three is too many though, and as there is interest in Ricardo Berna, and he is the oldest, he will be on the way out hopefully. Magno, Klefer and Tiago Volpi all lack the potential to challenge and will be on the way out. Luis Cetin has some ability so is a clear number three. He can go to our feeder club and can be recalled if didater strikes. 16 year old Silezio shows promise and will play for the Under 20’s.

Sweepers

Digao is our only one. He can play SW,DC,DM,MC. That’s good news as his skill set means he can fill the role nicely. Another one will be needed though, and I will look to train a couple of kids to the role too if the right one comes along.

Right Backs

Paulo Cesar looks very good but is 31 years old. Hes been capped 3 times and will be our number one. 23 year old Mariano will gradually take over the role in time. Ruy, Renan, Maycon, and Dudu are all too old, or lack the potential to ever threaten and will be sold.

Left Backs

Looks a bit weak really. Joao Paulo and Dieguinho are young and promising but not quite there yet. They will do to start though. Noel and Augusto are gone. 16 year old Sueliton look reasonably promising but is only 16.

Centre Backs

Edcarlos looks good but hes got 10 more days on loan. We cant afford him for 2.6m. Dalton looks brilliant at 19 and will start alongside Gum. Luis Alberto offers experience and makes a nice back up as does Cassio. Brayan, Giovani, and Fernando Souza can all leave. At 21, Sandro has some decent stats and a season out on loan will determine his future. Rodrigo, Carlos Sergio, and Juninho will play for the kids.

Centre Mids (deep-lying)

Patricio Urrutia is an Ecuadorian International, but 32. He will start for now and looks great, Mauricio will make a fine backup. Mayaro looks handy and will be loaned out. Diogo and Marquinho don’t fit, Fabinho, Diguinho, W.Monteiro, and Radames all look handy but will be sold to raise the bottom line. Bruno and Marcelo are regens who don’t fit. They will be retrained and given a chance to develop. Fernando Bob and Thiago Santos are out on loan and will be assessed on their return

Centre Mids ( advanced)

This is a strong point with Argentine Diego Conca, and the promising Tarta. Ezequial Gonzalez is good, but at 29 he won’t get better so he can leave and free up a foreigner slot. Felipe, Carlos Eduardo, Wellington, and Raphael Augusto all show promise and will be loaned out. Matheus Carvalho can leave.

Side Forwards

I like to use guys who can play as a wing and a striker here, though it doesn’t matter too much. The hugely promising Maicon can be used here. Youngster Zinho can do the job too, but not for a while. More faces may be needed

Centre Strikers

These guys can play out wide also. The star man is Brazilian International Fred, he will spearhead the attack. Kieza will start too, out wide and has good pace. Alan is 20 and hugely promising. The next best is Adeilson, whos on loan from Nice at 7,750 a week. That’s too much so he’s going back to France. Eandro Amaral and Roni are both ex-internationals in their early 30’s who can do a job for now. Leo Iteparuna, Dori, Bruno Veiga, Wellington Silva, Rafael Pernao, and Stefano will all be loaned out as they look pretty promising. Gean however, will never cut it. Anderson Gaucho is currently out on loan.

January 2nd

Start of New Season

The scouts have been sent out. Ive got one scouring the continent, one in Brazil and one each in Bolivia and Peru.

Sandro, Luis Cetin, Carlos Eduardo, Mayaro and Felipe have been sent out on loan to our feeder team America(RJ). These guys could all have a part to play in the future but need experience first.

We’ve also made a few sales. When selling players I always look to secure cash up front as this gives me money in the bank and means I an improve my facilities. And if possible I sell overseas whenever possible. Theres nothing worse than an ex-player scoring against you! Below are the guys who have left the club:

Radames – Cluj – 1.2m

Ruy – Boca – 600k

W.Monteiro – Guimaraes – 475k

Ricardo Berna – 1.3m

Diogo – Guimaraes – 240k

Marquinho – Lokomotiv 1.3m

Klefer – Celta – 22k

Luiz Alberto – America(MEX) – 425k

And a few faces joined on free transfers to shore up the backline:

Sweeper Gabriel had been playing in Russia. The 28 year old will back up Digao and 18 year old Felyp had been released by Cruzeiro and looks very promising. He will likely go out on loan. Centre Backs Gladstone and Glauber are well-received. The will slot into the defensive rotation and see plenty of games over a long season. Most likely, one will partner Dalton at the back, and the other will be back up with Gum. This however sounds the end for Luiz Alberto and Cassio, I will look to sell them both. Three players returned from loan, however, they don’t look good, and will be shipped out. The weak spot in the side looks like left back at this stage, and this is likely to be the only area I will be spending money.

A fresh crop of players has joined the youth side, and doesn’t it look good! We have turned up a centre midfield combination for the future. Careca and Walter are 4 and 4.5 stars potentially and are huge prospects who already look pretty handy at 14 years old.

Until the First Game

Odds for the first division have been released. We are at 500-1, along way from Sao Paulo who are at 3-1. But hey who cares right?

Fernando Henrique and Fred have been made our captains. Their international experience will be invaluable.

Apparently the chairman wants to sell up as well. We will see, hopefully his wont impact any moves we want to make in the transfer market. It hasn’t initially as we signed Left Back Bruno Teles from Gremio for 210k. He’s better than both our current options, Dieguinho will now head away on loan. That should be it in the transfer market for now anyway with only 150k available to spend.

Up next will be our first batch of games. Lets hope the lads are up to it!

Thanks again for the continuing support guys, it should inspire me though the masses of typing required

Here is a review of my First Five games. As you will see, we had mixed results but its early days get. Any comments regarding my Tactical goals down the bottom will be well recieved!

Report One - Olaria(A)

Teamtalk

Average Rating 6.97 7.17

Goals For 1 1

Goals Against 0 0

Attacking

Passing 70%

Possession 54%

CCC 3

Defensive

Review of Goals None

Shots 3

CCC 0

Olaria 0-2 Fluminense (Urrutia, Alan)

We took the lead on 25 seconds with Urrutia’s strike from 30 yards today. Howver my gamble avoiding playing any friendlies now looks a poor one. By halftime I had to sub three players who had dipped under 75% fitness. 50 minutes in and an injury means we see the game out with 10 men. The squad also looks thoroughly shabby, not really what I had in mind at all, hopefully they gel soon. The second goals comes on 87 minutes and is pure route one football. A long hack downfield from Fernando Henrique in goal is flicked on by Fred and Alan outruns the defense and slides it home from 6 yards.

Report Two - Friburguense(H)

Teamtalk

Average Rating 6.78 7.11

Goals For 1 1

Goals Against 0 0

Attacking

Passing 79%

Possession 55%

CCC 3

Defensive

Review of Goals None

Shots 4

CCC 0

Fluminense(Paulo Cesar, Gabriel) 2-0 Friburguense

Poor fitness ensures a Rafa Benitez like rotation policy at this stage with many players below 85% fitness. We take 41 minutes to find the net, its lucky as it from the spot after an off the ball foul in the area, Paulo Cesar coolly slots it. 75 minutes in, Conca finds Gabriel from a corner kick 2-0. However, I realise I haven’t seen too much by way of set pieces. These will be addressed after the game, it turns out I haven’t set my takers. Our passing looked a lot sharper already, and the opposition barely fired a shot. An improvement.

Report Three - Duque de Caxias(A)

Teamtalk

Average Rating 6.79 7.02

Goals For 0 0

Goals Against 1 0

Attacking

Passing 79%

Possession 59%

CCC 1

Defensive

Review of Goals Corner kick – Striker outjumps our keeper 2 yards out

Shots 5

CCC 1

Duque de Caxias 1-0 Fluminense

We dominate proceedings in the first half until Caxias strike on halftime from a corner. Our keeper flaps at the ball and is outjumped by their striker. Im discouraged at the amount of long shots we seem to be taking. 65 minutes in and its still 0-1. I decide to make my wingbacks attacking. The starters look tired here but ive let my assistant select the team and theres no fullbacks on the bench, Digao and Glauber will play out wide but aren’t really ideal. The changes have no major effect though and we lose 1-0. The stats tell me we’re hard done by but that’s little consolation.

Report Four - Botafogo(H)

Teamtalk

Average Rating 6.92 7.07

Goals For 1 1

Goals Against 0 1

Attacking

Passing 76%

Possession 53%

CCC 1

Defensive

Review of Goals Shot from right, keeper parried to unmarked striker

Shots 9

CCC 2

Fluminense(Gabriel 2) 2-1 Botafogo

This was meant to be our first real test. Luckily we have 7 days to prepare for this game and are near peak fitness for it. Maicon found Gabriel with an inswinging corner just on halftime, we had a few chances in the first half, but I was most impressed with our defense. Gabriel soon strikes again just after the break, this time from Mariano’s corner. Eventually we conceded in the 94th minutes but we hold on for victory. Im concerned by the lask of chances/goals from Fred though. His role will be fixed for the second set of matches.

Report Five - Tigres do Brasil(A)

Teamtalk

Average Rating 7.07 7.24

Goals For 2 0

Goals Against 0 0

Attacking

Passing 82%

Possession 56%

CCC 1

Defensive

Review of Goals None

Shots 3

CCC 0

Tigres do Brasil 0-2 Fluminense(Mauricio, Maicon)

We finally score a nice goal through Mauricio who finished after a string of 10 or so passes early on. Fred is injured early on, this could mean big trouble if its serious. The second goal was scrappier with Maicon rounding the keeper after a bit of aerial ping pong in the goalbox. We play well in the second half and cruise along to the victory which never looked in doubt.

Overall

A reasonable start for the team, with plenty of positives to build on. Morale is improving and the guys are looking a bit more cohesive every match. The loss was disappointing but we lead our group by a point.

In terms of team talks we improved in the second halves of games by an average of .22 per player, so these are definitely worth following. It only takes 20 seconds so I advise it. This is despite 62.5% of our goals coming in the first half.

Attack wise our passing and possession are both fairly good at this stage, though we should be scoring more goals and creating more openings. We are relying heavily on set pieces so far. The role of my strikers will be addressed before the next round of games, and I will analyse these changes in some detail.

Cant fault the defense. Conceding hardly any shots and only 2 goals in 5 games, things look most healthy in this area.

Tactical Changes/Goals

Set my Set Piece takers

Reduce the long range shots

The role of the Centre Striker

Financial Report

Cassio and Fernando Souza were sold, although Cassios fee went to a third party. At least his wages are off the bill. 75k was made from Souza’s sale. Ezequial Gonzalez also went, making us 625k and clearing 7,000 from the wage bill. The wage bill now stands at 135k, a reasonable figure well down on the 175k odd it started on. We’ve also got a healthy balance of 4.3m now although only 50k is for wages. I may look to bring in another forward by shifting some of the money around, or will hold the money for future expansion.

Much appreciated Corkey, if this helps anyone then its worth it, as these forums have helped me considerably this season

So in my first update we looked at teamtalks, attacking and defensive analysis, and the finances. Results have looked good. Teamtalks will continue to be monitored for the next five games, though I wont be looking at the attack and defense specifics as in depth this month. At 55% + possession and a passing completion rate around 75-80%, im quite happy here. Likewise, with the defense. I will be keeping track of where and how the goals are being conceded though.

What I will be looking at this month is the Striker position, and how to increase its effectiveness, as well attempting to improve my set pieces. Finally I felt we were taking too many long shots so this will be looked into also.

Striker Position

My first choice striker is Fred. He has 9 Brazilian caps for a return of 4 goals. Throughout his career he has averaged over 0.5 goals a game which is a very good return. Why hasn’t he done it for us? Lets take a look what was achieved up front last month

Game 1 – 5 Shots, 1 on target, 0 goals, 2 assists, 7.6 rating (Fred)

Game 2 - 0 Shots, 0 on target, 0 goals, 0 assists, 6.8 rating (Roni)

Game 3 - 0 Shots, 0 on target, 0 goals, 0 assists, 6.8 rating (Fred)

Game 4 – 0 Shots, 0 on target, 0 goals, 0 assists, 6.4 rating (Fred/Kieza)

Game 5 – 0 Shots, 0 on target, 0 goals, 0 assists, 6.3 rating (Fred/Kieza)

Overall - 5 Shots, 1 on target, 0 goals, 2 assists, 6.78 rating

Not really good enough for the guy leading the line to be honest. To get more goals he needs to get more involved. Currently The Central Striker is playing as an Advanced Forward (Attack). At 10-20 touches a game he isn’t seeing enough ball, so we’re almost playing a man down at time. So for the next 5 games we will experiment with him as a Target Man (Attack). This makes full use of his physical attributes and he can still look to bring our Inside Forwards into play. Unfortunately it seems Fred’s dislocated his jaw. Alan is very similar though so I will keep these settings anyway.

Set Pieces

Respectively we have had 8 corners and 11 free kicks a game. We’ve scored from 3 corners. From free kicks I’ve achieved absolutely nothing. Is this good enough? Well, against teams of this calibre it’s probably fine, but in the big games a strong set piece regime turns 1 point into 3, and Top half finishes into Title challenges.

So in terms of free kicks I’ve decided to vary my delivery. Left free kicks will go to the near post. Right free kicks will go to the far post. I have a strong header attacking both, and one attacking the middle.

Corners kicks have been set up so a Left footer takes them from the left and vice versa. Apparently I’m told, outswingers bring more success, so let’s find out.

Long Shots

I found myself mildly frustrated at the amount of wild shots from my team so I’ve tinkered with the settings here a wee bit too. My wing forwards shouldn’t be shooting long anyway so they change from normal to rarely. My sweeper shoots often but will be reduced to normal. We will keep tabs on the types of shot we’re taking this month.

Match 1 – Volta Redonda(H)

At halftime its locked scoreless, although we have been the better side. 57 minutes in it happens, we bang in a corner which is cleared only for Mauricio to play in Alan, and we have a goal to our main Striker at last. And 5 minutes later a Paulo Cesar free kick finds Maicon unmarked to head home.

Team Talk

Average Rating 6.75 7.20

Goals 0 2

Conceded 0 0

Striker

Alan 1 goal, 0 assists, 5 shots, 3 on target, 7.5

As well as the goal and the much increased amount of shots, he also passed the ball 21 time, completing 16 of them, 3 of which were key. He linked well with the centre mids and the wide strikers in particular.

Set Pieces

10 Corners, 0 Goals

15 Free Kicks, 1 Goal

We looked very dangerous from free kicks. Corners were okay but we don’t really have anyone with a gun right foot to take them and this is letting us down a wee bit.

Shot Analysis

14 Shots, 5 Long Shots, 4 CCC

Fluminense(Alan,Maicon) 2-0 Volta Redonda

Game 2 – Boavista(RJ) (A)

We get off to a flier, Maicon beating 3 men and lashing home from the edge of the box, a tremendous goal too. Tarta strikes on 20 minutes on the back of a patient build-up. Im rather happy to see the Libero(Digao) laying on the final pass for him. Second half is quieter, with Alan hitting a post and not much else happening. Still it’s a 2-0 win away to the second placed team. A good result, and a good performance.

Team Talk

Average Rating 7.11 7.28

Goals 2 0

Conceded 0 0

Striker

Alan 0 goals, 0 assists, 2 shots, 0 on target, 6.9 rating

A quieter game shot wise, but got involved and also hit the post once.

Set pieces

16 Free kicks, 0 Goals

7 Corners, 0 Goals

We looked dangerous here, and on another day would have scored a couple, plenty of near misses but no end result.

Shot Analysis

13 Shots, 5 Long Shots, 0 CCC

Boavista(RJ) 0-2 Fluminense (Tarta,Maicon)

Game Three Vila Aurora(A) Brazilian Cup First Round

Alan scores 21 minutes in, its an easy goal off a keeper fumble from Mauricio’s shot, but they all count, and this one comes on their managers birthday! Déjà vu 40 minutes in where another fumble is cleaned up, this time by Right Back Paulo Cesar who easily slots home. Corner kick just after halftime gets smacked onto the bar, Dalton tidies up and pokes home. Soon after a nice Conca lay off allows Mauricio to bang home a screamer from 25 yards. This was a stunning performance with 4 goals, and we hit the post three times as well!

Team Talk

Average Rating 7.27 7.56

Goals 2 2

Assists 0 0

Striker

Alan 1 goal, 0 assists, 7 shots, 3 on target, 8.0 Rating

Brilliant performance, hit the post, scored once, brought team mates into play. A little more accuracy and he could have had a hat trick.

Set Pieces

5 Corners, 1 Goal

6 Free kicks, 0 Goals

Not many opportunities but we did look menacing. I’m fairly happy with this area of play.

Shot Analysis

27 Shots, 11 Long Shots, 2 CCC

Vila Aurora 0-4 Fluminense(Alan, Dalton, Paulo Cesar, Mauricio)

Game Four - Vasco(N) Rio State Semi Final

Our biggest test yet, but we’re playing well now and look settled into the tactic. We strike very early Bruno Teles sneaking home at the back post to head home Maicon’s cross. We strike again on 25 minutes when Maicon follows up Alan’s shot and puts it in an empty net. Vasco do strike late in extra time off a rebound but it’s way too late. We could have scored more, but young Alan was a bit wasteful one on one.

Team Talks

Average Rating 7.15 7.20

Goals 2 0

Conceded 0 1

Striker

Alan 0 goals, 1 assists, 5 shots, 4 on target, 6.8 rating

Alan was rather involved today but lacked the killer instinct in front of goals failing with two one on one chances. However, the role in the team is playing out rather well for the striker and those around him.

Set Pieces

3 Corners, 0 Goals

14 Free Kicks, 0 Goals

I don’t actually recall seeing any in the highlights. That’s all I can really say.

Shot Analysis

12 Shots, 4 Long Shots, 3 CCC

Fluminense(Bruno Teles, Maicon) 2-0 Vasco

Match Five Botafogo(N) Rio State Opening Stage Final

So here’s another big game for us. We will want a win here to take us into the grand final. We’ve had 7 days rest and are fighting fit and playing well. A pretty dull start with 33 minutes until the first highlight. Not much really happens until halftime, we have a couple of half chances, but that’s it. Can the team talks weave their magic? This will be the best example of their effect. 60 minutes in and it’s still nil all, though we have looked a lot more dangerous. I don’t really want to make changes to my best XI, but on 65 minutes I do. Conca comes on for a tired Urrutia, whilst young Left Back Joao Paulo comes on for Bruno Teles. Not only are they fresh legs, but they both excel at Set Pieces, and Conca provides a bit more thrust than Urrutia does. We don’t want the lottery of a shootout, and one moment can change a match. Sadly it does end square so we go to penalties. Misses from Paulo Cesar and Maicon mean we go down 4-2 and we’re back to square one.

Team Talk

Average Rating 6.78 6.96

Goals 0 0

Conceded 0 0

Striker

Alan 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 3 Shots, 2 On Target, 6.7 Rating

Alan was fairly anonymous today. He did well enough but had no major chances

Set Pieces

4 Corners, 0 Goals

17 Free Kicks, 0 Goals

Very few highlights again, further tweaking may be required I think.

Shot Analysis

13 Shots, 7 Long Shots, 2 CCC

Fluminense 0(2)-(4)0 Botafogo

REVIEW OF CHANGES

Im pretty happy with this run of games, we scored 10 goals, and only conceded one, and even that was fortunate. Of course losing the Opening Stage Final was disappointing but it was on Penalties and luck has everything to do with it. Perhaps if the next final comes to penalties I will try another keeper, as Henrique saved none. Again the effect of team talks was evident as our ratings improved and we held our leads. I would be interested to see if they have any effect on a losing performance ovr a few games, though lets hope I don’t have to find out.

Striker – Alan

5 Games, 2 Goals, 1 Assist, 22 Shots, 12 On Target, 7.18 Average Rating

So the Strikers numbers have improved, except for the assists, which is down from two. But not only that, he’s a lot more involved in the build up touching the ball 10 or so more times a game. He’s winning headers, finding good positions, playing in team mates, and scoring goals. He could be scoring more though, but Alan is Fred’s back-up and this change is one I’m going to keep. The targetman stays.

Set Pieces

We scored from a free kick which we hadn’t done this season. That represents a positive start, so we’re on the right track here. We scored one corner too, down from free, albeit from fewer opportunities than last month. But this still isn’t good enough in my book. I said earlier that set pieces win games and a nil-all draw in the final could have been settled in one play. So there will be changes here again, I’m pretty open minded here so please share any ideas and I will give it a go.

Long Shots

The final area for improvement, and I felt we definitely did that. Generally we got a lot closer to goal and grafted out clear cut chances rather than having hits from long range. When we did take them we were more decisive, only trying when we were in space and scoring a couple too. I was disappointed with the last game a bit though, as over half our shots were from distance. Maybe it was just the effect of playing stronger opposition? The jury’s still out on this area and I shall be giving it some more thought.

Finances

There hasn’t been a lot of change here at all. We allowed one player to leave on loan as he’s third choice and Vasco have Top Training facilities for him to use and he should see game time too. The Balance dropped slightly to 4.2m but that’s not a big loss and I’m not concerned at all.

Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone. Any thoughts/feedback/ideas are very welcome as always.

The last section ended on a wee bit of a low losing the Opening Stage shootout on penalties to Botafogo. Fortunately we have 14 days to put things right and find some solutions before a couple of very big games. In this time I’m endeavouring to find a better approach to Set Pieces, which I have some big ideas about, and it also gives Fred time to make a full recovery for this set of games. At full fitness we will see the true effect of a target man in this tactic, as he’s one of the best in Brazil. Also, rather interestingly we were taken over by a fellow board member, although he wont be providing any extra investment.

Set Pieces

I’ve chosen to slightly change my approach to these. Firstly, I see all my central midfielders have a long shot rating of 14+. So they will Stand with the taker and give us another point of attack to exploit. Other than this, here is the approach I will use:

Free Kicks Left: Near Post

Free Kicks Right: Far Post

From the Right we will use a Right footer, which should draw the ball away from the keeper, and from the Left, we will still use the right footer again, drawing the ball inwards in search of a flick on. One problem exists here, we don’t have a strong right-footer. So we bought one. Meet Marcelinho Carioca, our new 100k signing from Santo Andre. He is 38 years old, but willing to agree to a one-year contarct on 100k a year. He has been capped 7 times, scoring twice. He is our new dead ball specialist. Here are some key stats:

Free Kicks: 20

Penalties: 20

Corners: 18

Technique: 18

He lacks pace, but hopefully we will start oozing goals from set pieces, and a 100k, he represents little risk. I also hope to have him mentor one or two young starlets.

Lets take a look how the next few games went, in particular, our set pieces and target man:

Fluminense vs Flamengo

So Marcelinho Carioca’s debut comes against our fiercest rivals, lets see how he acquits himself. 2 minutes in, an incise run see him hit the post, nearly an instant hero. Urrutia then hits the bar 30 minutes in but its Flamengo’s Gonzalo Fierro who opens the scoring against the run of play on 40 minutes. A certain Adriano provided the goal here. With Fred’s return, Alan moves out wide, and it’s him who plays in Marcelinho Carioca who scores a delightful finish to level things on 65 minutes. 72 minutes in and we hit the bar again, this time its marauding Sweeper Gabriel’s turn. By now Fred’s looking tired, so Alan takes over as the Target Man, what can he do? Nothing, it turns out. The game ends 1-1, and Marcelinho Carioca takes Man of the Match honours. 3 Posts for us in this one so we were unlucky not to win.

Set Pieces

Corners 1

Free Kicks 13

Not so much as a highlight of these though. So things haven’t improved.

Target Man

Fred 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 1 Shot, 0 On Target, 6.6 Rating

Fred found himself isolated only touching the ball 12 times, of which he completed 11 passes, mind you we only had 45% possession today.

Fluminense(M.Carioca) 1-1 Flamengo

Fluminense vs Barueri Brazilian Cup Round 2 Leg 1

Barueri are a top flight team, but perhaps not as strong as us as I don’t actually know any of their players. We must still be wary though. Carioca is cup tied, so Conca’s our go to guy on set pieces today, he is Left footed, so his kicks mirror Carioca’s. Fred isn’t fit enough either so Alan gets his spot back today. Its nil all at halftime although Urrutia has hit the post again, is it one of those seasons? Alan breaks the deadlock 53 minutes in from outside the area, he’s been very involved today and deserves the goal. Mariano inadvertently adds a second late on from a wayward cross. It ends 2-0 but we only have 46% possession today, this needs further investigation I feel.

Set Pieces

3 Corners

17 Free Kicks

A couple free headers go over from Free Kicks, we have chances but don’t convert

Target Man

Alan 1 Goal, 0 Assists, 4 Shots, 2 On Target, 7.4 Rating

Very good game from Alan, passing at around 88% and bringing others into play. The goal was an absolute cracker too.

Fluminense(Alan, Mariano) 2-0 Barueri

Fluminense vs America(RJ)

An easier game after two tough ones. Fred and Carioca both return for this one too which is a big positive. 25 minutes in and Urrutia’s long shot is followed up by Alan who converts the rebound to put us in front. Shortly after, Maicon runs onto a through ball from Paulo Cesar and slots home our second. 39 minutes in and Carioca rifles home from 30 yards after a neat headed lay off from Alan. Did I mention it was a volley! Halftime comes around, and we haven’t even allowed a shot. Early on in the second stanza, Digao rattles the bar from a corner. And shortly after we concede from a corner. The guy was very loosely marked near the back post. This will be shortly addressed too. The game ends 3-1 despite a raft of late chances. Carioca grabs Man of the Match honours for the second time in two games.

Set Pieces

9 Corners

8 Free Kicks

I was rather disappointed to see Digao miss 3 free headers from our corners. The problem here seems to lie with the execution, rather than the balls in.

Target Man

Fred 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 4 Shots, 4 On Target, 6.9 Rating

Fred was rather involved today winning Tackles, Headers, Free Kicks, and completed every pass attempt. A goal would probably have seen him named Man of the Match.

Fluminense(Alan, Maicon, M.Carioca) 3-0 America(RJ)

Macae vs Fluminense

Im surprised to go into halftime at 0-0 today. Macae are a very poor team but have apparently hired a super keeper who is keeping us scoreless with the help of my misfiring strikeforce. Finally on 65 minutes, Alan, who’s playing out wide again tackles the opposing fullback, breaks forward, and find an unmarked Maicon who happily nods home. A goal up and vs weaker opposition, I experiment a wee bit. Urrutia is employed at Sweeper as I like this man to be a ballplayer, and try out the touchline shouts. Almost backfires and we’re lucky to hold onto a single goal victory.

Set Pieces

6 Corners

13 Set Pieces

Again, we have no luck here at all, we missed a couple chances from corners, and blast a couple of Free Kicks into the wall. Whats going on I wonder.

Target Man

Fred 0 Goals, 0 Assists, 2 Shots, 2 On Target, 6.9 Rating

Not seen too often through the highlights package. I would expect more bang from my buck to be honest.

Macae 0-1 Fluminense(Maicon)

Resende vs Fluminense

We’re not scoring too many, but then again, our defense has been rock-solid. Resende looks particularly bad though and I hope we can step it up today. Its only been two days since our last game though, and our third match in five so the reserves will get a hit out today. We look good early on and have a corner goal scratched out for an off the ball foul from Alan. 38 minutes in and we see some route one football. Goalkeeper finds Target Man and Alan scores first time from 25 yards. A corker in the second half comes from Kieza who runs 70 metres before coolly slotting home. Conca hits a post late on, but at 2-0 up it doesn’t matter.

Set Pieces

6 Corners

15 Free Kicks

Not much to say really, they just aren’t working for us. Carioca missed this game but Conca has fair stats and puts a nice ball in.

Target Man

Alan 1 Goal, 0 Assists, 4 Shots, 3 On Target, 7.5 Rating

A delightful strike from the man, and he was very involved in all areas today so I was very pleased.

Resende 0-2 Fluminense(Alan, Kieza)

REVIEW OF PERFORMANCE

Set Pieces

We don’t score a single one, so the signing of Carioca has had no effect here at all. We see a couple highlights from free kicks, and miss a mountain of headers from corners though. Apparently Stoke take a nice set piece, so might have to ring Tony Pulis on this one as I’m stumped. I could possibly just aim them all at my biggest man even if he doesn’t fit into my philosophy in general play, but that would be too easy and sacrifice my style, and possibly our defensive strength.

Target Man

2 Goals, 0 Assists, 15 Shots, 9 On Target, 7.06 Rating

The numbers aren’t too bad here really. 7.06 is good for a striker who isn’t scoring or creating too many. This role will have to be micro-managed though to get a wee bit more juice from it.

Goals For Next Report

i) Squeeze a wee bit more life from the Target Man position

ii) Investigate the midfield pairing. They are seeing masses of ball, with the playmaker (the deep-lying, rather than the advanced) touching the ball up to 90 times a game. Im seeing high ratings, high pass percentage, a lot of tackles but not many assists. And that’s what they’re there for. Im concerned with the amount of long shots they’re having too rather than continuing the buildup

iii) Continue my work on the set pieces!

So that’s it for today. Hopefully you learnt something, like how not to score goals versus considerably weaker teams. Still, we did take 4 wins and a draw from these five games so its not all bad. Also its rather fun taking this approach to a game. 5 matches a day, it keeps the interest up, and leaves you with the rest of the day pulling your hair out trying to think of a miracle solution to your latest problem. Happy gaming

So at this stage of the season we have won 12 of our 15 games, suffering only one proper defeat (+1 on penalties). The main factor behind this is our defense which has only conceded 5 goals. On attack we’ve scored 27, which isn’t too bad. But we have been playing weaker opposition in general. So the goal over the next few games is determining why this has happened and how it can be fixed. Thankfully I had a long shift at work in which I daydreamed constantly and pondered my life as a football manager. This is after my daydreaming led to me hitting a cyclist whilst driving to work. Honestly.

When I finally returned home I loaded my game and meticulously checked every individual instruction in team view to make sure these linked well and worked to my desires. The results were interesting. A number of things just didn’t quite add up. I felt this is due to the plug and play element of the Tactics Creator. This is a wonderful tool, but realistically we shouldn’t be fooled into thinking we can allocate 11 roles and mentalities and play everyone off the park without putting our own stamp on proceedings. So I give you a review of some of my findings and what I hope these will lead to this round:

Corner Kicks

We have a knack of finding great chances off our corner kicks. Although we see may different men popping up, the SW is the man who pops up the most. Key attributes needed in my eyes are Heading, Jumping, Strength. Add these up and you should get your best man. On top is Gabriel and its no surprise he’s netted 3 times, but he’s equal with Glauber also, and our other SW is way down the list. Solution is to swap the instructions of the SW and CBr. When Glauber plays, he will be in that slot with Gabriel at SW. When Glauber misses out, Gabriel will play CBr and Digao will play SW. This means maximum effectiveness on every corner.

We have twice conceded from corners as well, both from relatively unmarked men near the back post. The solution is to change the instructions of two men from Go Back to Man Mark, and throw another head in the mix as well. We will still leave our fast wingers up front for the break

Free Kicks

We haven’t had any success here so I’ve looked to revamp where our men are standing. Noticeably, I see we have four men staying back. But that’s just silly so I will leave two back and move two of them forward. Defensively, we have yet to concede so no need for changes here.

Mentality/Creative Freedom

Mentality wise I’m very happy. Despite our lowest setting being our MCd who is at 12, we concede .33 goals a game. Creative Freedom makes for pretty football but some of the guys are doing a bit too much. Our CB’s have a setting of 12 which is quite high, I like the m to have some freedom though and I moved it to 10. The Wingers aren’t playing as direct as I like so a drop from 18 to 15 may encourage them to play a bit more direct at goal perhaps.

Long Shots

My only issue at this stage regards my Deep Lying Playmaker. He takes a few, although the Advanced Playmaker does too. They both have high stats here, but a long shots from the DLP is generally from longer than the AP. So his long shots will be reduced to Rarely.

Through Balls

Interestingly, these seem to be set to High for the CB’s and FB’s. This seems a bit odd and probably ineffective but a look at the players in each positions stats show that this had no major effect on the CB’s, who pass at about 80%. The FB’s average 73% so I will change them to Mixed as this could boost their average here.

Crossing

This hasn’t been an area of resounding success and I’m anxious to find out what’s wrong. The Wide Strikers are crossing Normal, but I think even this is more than is needed. I want them cutting in, rather than aiming for a single head in the box, or the other wideman. And if they do cross I will make it from mixed rather than the byline, so as to offer some variety. The Fullbacks will have their point changed to from the byline, as this should help them overlap and force my wide strikers infield giving us another target. We could also benefit if they’re aiming for the Target Man, our main aerial threat.

Wide Play

I read an interesting topic on this as I lacked ideas of my own. The best idea the thread felt was to have the wingers cutting inside, which I have, and the ST moving into channels. The theory here is this drags out the CB’s and opens space for driving Wide Forwards. Seems logical to me. The thread was called Innefective Wingers I believe, started by Noel Gallagher, and it’s definitely worth a read.

So that’s where we stand at the moment. I have some questions I will ask you guys to help me with next time as well, but for now, let’s see how we got on this time. I apologise in advance, but I played these games on a slower laptop so highlights aren’t as clear to watch. Therefore my summations will be a bit briefer than normal, and I can’t focus on any one area in particular with the depth I normally do.

Fluminense(Fred, Conca, Gum, Maicon) 4-1 Madureira

I also decide to play with my AM as the DLP, and my DM as the AP, as the MS’s superior longshots have more chance of bulging the auld onion bag. 31 seconds in and we strike! But Maicon is offside… 25 minutes in and a long raking through ball finds Maicon CUTTING IN. He scores, and its especially satisfying to see my change make a difference as I saw it in my head. Just after halftime we win a penalty. Its set up after my fullback overlaps and whips a ball in for my three pronged strike force, one of whom is hacked down. Conca converts it. Even Fred scored shortly after this, a great strike from 20 yards. It’s hugely disappointing however to see them pinch one back from a corner. It was a near post flick on which creeped in. I’m soon smiling though as Gum volleys in a Conca free kick after he’s left wide open, my hard work is bearing fruit! It ended 4-1 with plenty of positives. In particular, Conca at DLP with 2 assists and a goal, and Fred rated 7.9, the highest score at target man this year. We still passed at 80%, but possession was a meager 38%. Any thoughts on why this happened? This will be closely monitored.

Barueri 0-2 Fluminense(Kieza, Own Goal) Brazilian Cup Round 2 Leg 2

We went into this game two nil up already. 33 minutes in we score from a set piece again as Andre Luiz turns the ball into his own net. Soon after, Fred has one scratched out for offside. Conca sets up a 2nd on 75 mins for Kieza, who is on for Maicon, chalk up another for the wide strikers. It ended at 2-0 and Barueri barely had a chance. On their corners we look shaky but our set pieces look amazing. We also look so much more fluid going forward now too. We had 48% possession this time, which in this type of game, is very acceptable.

Part 2 of this report to follow tomorrow…

Americano 0-6 Fluminense(Maicon(2), Kieza, Digoa, Dalton, Urrutia

Americano are sitting last in the group after five rounds of the closing stage only managing a single draw, while we are looking red hot lately. This match can only go one way. After 7 minutes and a few chances, the difference in quality is clear and its no surprise Maicon puts us in front. He dispossessed the keeper and rolled into an empty net. We score a lovely goal on 15 minutes through our Sweeper who started the move very deep, and 15 passes later surged into the goalbox to make it 2-0. On 40 minutes, Urrutia surges onto a Conca through ball and finished from 20 yards expertly. Swapping these two’s positions has had a huge impact. 60 minutes in and Conca notches his third assist with his diagonal ball forward picking out the cutting Kieza. Then another through ball to a cutting winger, this time it’s Paulo Cesar who finds Maicon for 5-0 on 70 minutes. A couple of changes see Dalton move to Sweeper and he relishes the role, getting onto a cutback and blasting home a minute later. It ends 6-0 after we hit the post twice late on, but we are flying high!

Fluminense(Fred(2), Kieza, Glauber, Urrutia) 5-1 Bangu

Bangu haven’t scored in six closing stage games, so we should walk through this game at home. It takes 5 minutes to take the lead. Kieza, who looks a reformed man with the recent changes scores again running 50 yards in open space to roll home. The Bangu equalize. I’m stunned, but it’s a long range fizzer and I suppose the odd one will always go in, it’s their only highlight we see all game. The first highlight I’ve seen for about 200 minutes from an opponent. We score straight after the kickoff. In fact we touch it ten times and its in. Fred the goalscorer this time. 40 minutes in and we break our corner hoodoo, Glauber nodding in Conca’s ball. The fourth is a peach, and it’s Urrutia who scores it on the back of a slick buildup. Fred grabs a second from a delightful Conca through ball, a double for the target man! It ends 5-1, another big win for the lads.

Vasco 2-2 Fluminense(Bruno Teles, Fred)[/i]

The changes have looked great, but this game is a real tester. Vasco have some good players and are at home. A win would see us top qualifier for the closing stage playoffs. We only had two days rest from the last game, I really should have used more rotation. We strike after just 7 minutes through leftback Bruno Teles off a Fred layoff. What a start! Its only for 5 minutes though as Vasco score a well worked equalizer. Not sure where I got it wrong defensively, the goal oozed class. They strike again on 35 minutes too and we’re 2-1 down. More magic from Vasco, this time its Alex Teixiera, a man who we’re interested in. The game turns 40 minutes in though when Fred’s hacked down just outside the area when through on goal. It costs Vasco a Man and it’s a whole new ball game. Still 2-1 at halftime and our CM’s have been savaged. I sub them both off for fitter men. Carioca has been inspired this year and maybe he can make a difference. He makes a difference within 10 seconds, he’s shown a Red Card for a late tackle! 10 seconds! We look the better team though and Fred equalizes on 89 minutes from a Digao through ball. Super keeping and a couple of disallowed goals had kept Vasco alive, so this goal was a big relief.

Fluminense(Glauber) 1-0 VascoRio State Semi Final

So we have a home semi vs Vasco, who we’re just drawn with away. We’re mmissing 3 of our 4 best midfileders so Digao will step up to partner the brilliant Conca today. It’s a quiet first half until Glauber nodded home Conca’s corner on 43 minutes. This is why I spent so much time making my set pieces. The second half is rather quiet until a 94th minute Red Card for Digao, but by now its too late for Vasco, and we’re into the final! We will meet Botafogo, who again knocked out Flamengo in the Semis on penalties. They’ve won 3 from 3 on Penalties this year so we have 90 minutes to deliver the knockout blow.

So the tactic looks to be somewhat finished now. We have admittedly conceded a couple more goals than we had previously, but I’m at a loss to explain why as there’s no real pattern to it. Also, I’m not overly concerned by it, as the changes have led to us banging in goals left, right, and centre. Lets take a look at the Rio State Championship Final, and the next round of the Brazilian Cup before we assess what needs to be done before the First Division Proper begins…

Cruzeiro 3-2 Fluminense(Kieza, Digao)Last 16 Leg 1

This is probably the first time we have been considered clear underdogs so results here will show how my creation is progressing. Cruzeiro are led by stars such as Diego Renan, Bernardo, and Kleber. All FM champions. I don’t anticipate an easy game and 2 minutes in our defense is made to look amateur as Soares springs through onside and tucks the ball home. But then a neat passing move by us leads to an equaliser from Kieza and it’s 1-1 after 7 minutes. After 40 minutes Cruzeiro scored a debatable goal with suspicions of offside. But nonetheless the striker had too much space. My defence which was once so strong isn’t up to it today at all and our brightest chances have mostly come on the counter attack. They score again before halftime in similar fashion so I will have to adjust my setting here. Soares has a first half hattrick!

I ring the changes at halftime bringing on three pacier defenders, and things stabalise instantly. We’ve looked okay up front but not we have strength at the back too. We hit the post a couple times rather early but can’t break through early. Eventually our ambition pays off when Kieza tees up makeshift Midfelder Digao to make it 3-2. That’s how it ends though, so we’re well in this one going into the home leg and Fred should be back too. We post high numbers for Pass %, Shots, and Possesion. In fact everywhere except CCC’s. Cruzeiro have 8 to our 1!

FIX : After this game I change the marking on my back 5 to Tight in the hope this will prevent so many one on ones in the future.

Fluminense(Kieza) 1-1p BotafogoRio State Closing Stage Final

Basically the title is decided in a game between the opening and closing stage winners. If one team wins both they are crowned champions. So we have to beat Botafogo twice. I’m confident we’re the better team though and my backline fix should ensure victory today. Again we concede early. This one’s gone from the keeper to the centre forward and into the net after he muscled off my sweeper. The marking was fine, the execution was awful. Its still 1-0 at the break, but I’m confident we can fight back so I resist the urge to make hasty changes. And 3 minutes in, we do. Kieza collects the last of 30 passes from Conca and pokes it into the corner. Possibly the best goal of my reign. I bring on some pace for tired legs on 65 minutes, crucially the guys I bring on can all take a fair penalty if it comes to that again. We push hard but cant land the knockout punch. Its penalties again. And we lose again. The only positive was the effort which I can’t fault and this dpes qualify us for next years Brazilian Cup.

Fluminense(Maicon) 1-2 CruzeiroBrazilian Cup Last 16 Second Leg

We go into this on down 2-3 but we’re back at home. Im troubled by an Assistant report that we’re overawed by bigger sides. Any ideas how to deal with this? There’s no goals in the first half and our defense is solid for a change. No early goal to make life hard. Now its just 45 minutes, and one goal needed. And 50 minutes in, we get it. Maicon scrambling in a Conca cross after the initial corner is cleared. A minute later though we see a similar scenario. Only this time htheir clearance falls to Kleber who runs 75 yards and scores. Shortly after they score a corner of their own. Luizao unmarked on the back post. We can’t recover and are knocked out 5-3 on aggregate despite playing the better game.

These games have left me with more questions than answers. And hopefully you can help me find these….

1. My assistant tells me I’m complacent against small teams and overawed by big teams. Is there any way I can rectify this?

2. In a free flowing tactic is there any sense in have the Target Man and the Deep Lying Playmaker hold the ball up?

3. Would allowing my wingers to roam be beneficial or detrimental to the Target Man?

4. Is there any sense in creating a throw in setup a la Stoke City?

Any help at all would be warmly received. This tactic is almost at the stage where I can upload it for general use. And a little more improvement will see it being very tough to beat

• 4 months later...

In my blackpool save i am having good success against bigger teams by using team talk no pressure at the start of the game. If we are 1-0 ahead i have faith in all the players, If its 0-0 and play is even then i team talk no pressure and select a key player on each line to give the faith chat to. If its 0-0 and we are playing badly then its time to change the tactics up and make a few subs, challenge your better players, keep the pressure off your younger players and have faith in your mid range players.

I hate saying pleased against a strong opponent if we are winning, more often than not the opposition will get a blast from their coach and be fired up and dominate the 2nd half.

Tactics wise i keep my same tactics unless they play with an amc and two strikers ( i play a 442 with the wingers in AM R/L position) So i drop my CMD to DM and man mark the AMC otherwise they seem to cut me up. that leaves me with one cm guarding two cm's . So i make sure my TM on support covers the spare mc.

I don't have my TM hold the ball up ,unless he cant dribble. My mids dont run forward much so if he holds up he seems to just pass it back to the mids too often. So i say no if you want to keep it free flowing.

I think it would be benificial to have your TM on support and not attack then experiment with his forward runs settings. Are your wide strikers right out on the edges of the pitch ? If so maybe move them in next to the TM and play them as advanced forwards (attack and move into channels) doing so will still allow them to play wide but they will decide whether to come inside with the ball or to put in a cross.

Cant help with throw ins advice , i have gunarsson as my throw in taker and all he seems to do is throw its straight to their defenders so interested to see any advice.

Just a tip/query on your corners is the near/far post to crowded maybe you need to spread your players out a little to give your best header roonm to move ? Also if you have 3 good headers maybe spread them out so one is at far post, near post and attack from deep. that way you might stretch out the defenders with good heading ability and hopefully the one you are aiming for will be marked by one of the weaker defenders?

Crossing is a bit hit and miss at best . Can i suggest that if you have your crosses set to aim for target man then change that to mixed. I find crosses work better when hit to the far post where the winger or your wide strikers will get in on the end of them thus avoiding their two CD's.

Good thread :)

Archived