The Day The Earth Stood Still - Short Story

swagat sinha

'South Africa was bubbling with excitement. The world was watching in excitement as the world cup came to our continent for the first time in its long history. The hype, the hysteria was at an all-time high. And it was then that they decided to strike. My name is Henrik Parnell, Director-General of the South African Secret Service; and this is the story of what happened that summer.'

'My name is Bikendi Ibarra. I belong to the Karein Liberate Andolan World (KLAW). I was given responsibility for our activities at the football World Cup that year. This is my story.'

'That terrible summer, I was in charge of the Spanish team in South Africa. We were one of the favorites for the title. But what happened there was a monstrosity. My name is Hernan Rodriguez, and this is my account of what we went through that summer.'

Long Disclaimer: This story has terrorism as a key element, so I had to pick an organization for the same. I have no views whatsoever regarding the issue. I have just used it as a story tool. I apologize beforehand to anyone who might have been hurt by this.

Played on Football Manager 2009 with patch 9.3.0, England, Spain, Italy, Germany all loaded up from top to bottom.

Episode 1: Contact

Parnell Speaks

It was the start of the year. The attacks at the African Cup of Nations had already cast a huge shadow about the security of the footballers coming to participate. We had to be extra sure that no further attempts would be made. So we kicked into overdrive. Everyone was double-checked at Airports, security was increased at public places, and our border presence was doubled.

We received some intriguing tip-offs in March. Three independent sources told us that there were plans afoot for an attempt. There were around 40 guns moving around, and we could not hang about. The police force was alerted, and a crackdown began. Suspects were held, interrogations were conducted and it narrowed down to two gangs. One of them had definitely sold guns to foreigners with less than honorable intentions.

It was then that we hit a dead-end. Both the gangs’ heads were interrogated, but they had no clue to the identity of the buyers. Either that or they were stalling. We shut down most of their businesses, tried to coerce them into agreeing to help us. But to no avail. One month passed chasing empty leads, and the cup was now only 75 days away.

Rodriguez Speaks

After Vicente Del Bosque’s unfortunate accident that left him unable to take control of the team, the Spanish FA offered me the job. I had been in Holland for most of my managerial career, winning 5 Eredivise titles, after which I jet-setted to Turin, to take over from Ciro Ferrera. I managed to stop the decline and we finally ended up in 2nd spot, 6 points behind Inter. It was then that I heard of the unfortunate incident. Two days later, I got the call. The contract was to take charge of the Spanish team till the end of the World Cup. I jumped at the chance. I had not had the chance to manage in my own country, and now a chance to manage the country itself was knocking at my doorstep. The offer was too good to turn down.

That weekend, I was introduced to the team. They all seemed sad not to have Del Bosque with them, but wanted to win it for the old man. I found a terrifically motivated bunch of players who were ready to break their World Cup jinx. 48 days from the World Cup, I felt good.

Ibarra Speaks

We entered the country at Durban. Arrangements had already been made with a shipping official to smuggle us in the country some time ago. The Natal province was kind to us. Sunny, with the sea not too far, it reminded us of home. The police and the intelligence had already been thrown off guard courtesy a false lead that set them tracking illegal weaponry, while our plan was something else entirely. We had entered the country one month before the tournament started to allow us to merge with the crowds before they really upped the ante. And here we were, moving around in Durban, mingling with the tourists, waiting for the match. With 20 days to go, we were on track.

Thanks you two. I was concerned about that Dalbe. Also did not want to hurt any feelings, so discussed it with the mods and already replaced it with a fictitious organisation, Karein Liberate Andolan World (KLAW). Now, it's just a terrorist organisation, targeting the Spaniards, looking to create havoc. I only hope I finish this one. The idea's been bubbling for a long time, so decided to go ahead with it.

I'll put him in Gav if you vote for me :p

Episode 2: Preparations

Parnell speaks

As the tournament drew closer, our investigations drew more and more frantic. The checks at the airports and shipping ports got longer and longer; while the inland investigation moved up quite a few notches. We were trying our best, but it wasn’t proving to be enough. Then, 15 days before the cup, it finally broke to us. An agent who was working undercover managed to find the guns: all safe and sound, hidden in a warehouse in Cape Town. It had been a red herring, albeit one we discovered in the nick of time, or so we thought. With such a short time to go, all we could hope for was that our vigil would not prove fruitless.

Rodriguez Speaks

Our preparations for the tournament were going well. The squad was gelling well together, and strategies were being formed. Iker would continue as captain and remain in the number 1 jersey, with Pepe and Valdes as his backups. Carles (Puyol) and Raul (Albiol) were my two first choice centre backs, flanked by Joan and Sergio. It would unfortunately mean that such talents like Gerard and Carlos would have to warm the bench with Alvaro.

It was in the midfield that I decided to shake up things. Xavi and Andreas could take care of the midfield themselves, so I took out Alonso and instead, went with 2 wingers. Mata on the left and Silva on the right. With Villa and Nando upfront, this was looking like a very attacking outfit. My only worry was if we could manage while falling back.

I decided to test it out in the friendlies. If it worked, we could be in for a treat. If not, Xabi and Cesc would come in, with the two wingers going out. The next 10 days would help me fine-tune our strategies before the games started.

Ibarra Speaks

We met our South African friends who were going to help us in our task. Danny Smith and Kevin Steele belonged to an underground cell of Afrikaans Ki Leli (AKL), which was interested in derailing the World Cup for their own purpose. For them, the lack of segregation of blacks and whites in South Africa was hurting their pride, and it had to be stopped. It had been a World Cup when they really united, and it would be a World Cup, when it ended. Now, we had nothing to do with their cause, one way or the other, but why not make use of it to make our point?

We had decided to take their help in getting inside the country incognito, and merging with the crowds. Once in, they would help us in procuring what we needed, and we would help them in developing a strategy for our actions. So far, we were right on track. 5 days to go before the tournament started, we made our way to Johannesburg. It was now just a matter of finding the right moment to execute our plans.

Episode 3: Ground Reality

Parnell speaks

2 days. That’s how little time we got. Only 2 days before the cup was to begin, a field agent passed on potentially problematic information. There had been some unidentified cargo onboard a ship that docked in Durban. Where was it going? Who was it intended for? No one had any ideas. It was time to call in the cavalry, and it was duly called for. The NICC assigned a few South African National Defense Intelligence Organization men to the job, and together we set out to find out about the cargo. This would be something that would stretch our forces. With the cup virtually round the corner, our attention was now divided in two places.

Rodriguez Speaks

We reached Johannesburg in high spirits. For our first friendly, we took on the Egyptian national team, and handed them a master class. 5-1 was the final score, but our domination was complete. The one goal we conceded was also a mere fluke. Villa scored a hat-trick, while Mata and Nando scored one each.

In the second match, we faced Russia, a much sterner test. But again, flying colors it was, as we thumped them 3-0. Nando scored 2, while Mata scored the third. So far, the defence had been holding out pretty well.

The final match posed a little more problem. We encountered the Saudi Arabians. Now, despite the match being easy and us winning 4-0, we got ourselves our first injury scare. Silva picked up a knock and was immediately rushed to the hospital. Turned out we’d have to do without him for the first 2 games. Unfortunately, that problem became pretty small once the KLAW events unfolded. But then, oblivious to this fact, we were pretty satisfied, and ready for the next day: the start of the World Cup.

Ibarra Speaks

Within 24 hours, we were finally going to get a chance to see the magnitude of the task at hand, the havoc we could be able to cause and the roadblocks we could encounter. We had decided to first see if we could carry our stuff past the security at the ground. Our plan was to use a different entrance for all 4 of us. We would all try to enter the ground separately, and see if the security personnel suspected something.

We set out all that we needed the next day, got prepared and went to sleep. Or tried to. I could not get my mind to be free of the fears that circulated around it, and went out for a short walk. The ground was only 5 kilometers away and fully lit. Sounds of some dances were also coming from it. Probably some people were still rehearsing for the opening ceremony. If only the Chief had listened to me, the opening ceremony would have been the moment to strike. We would have terrorized the whole planet, as they watched with bated breath; the media would have helped our cause. It would have been perfect. But it would have to wait. Tomorrow was not the day.

Episode 4: Day Zero

Parnell speaks

Finally, the day was here. Soccer City, Johannesburg for the start of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Now, I am not a football fan myself. Give me a choice, and I would watch Cricket or Rugby any day. But as it was our responsibility to make sure that all the contingents, the 94,900 people inside the stadium and the thousands more who watched on giant screens right outside the stadium were safe and posed no threats to the event; we stuck to it.

Every person entering the stadium was checked thrice: with a metal detector, pat-searched, and with sniffer dogs. Any suspicious looking person would be taken out of the line, whisked to the security office, and only after his or her credibility was confirmed would be let in.

As the ceremony started, I looked around. There were dancers inside the ground; the crowds were out in full swing, and everything seemed peaceful. It was a rare moment of peace for me after the frantic yet futile searches of the past 2 days. I wondered whether they were watching.

Rodriguez Speaks

As the team emerged into the Stadium, with Iker leading us holding the flag, I felt pride. There is nothing greater for a football manager than leading out his country in a World Cup, and I was living that dream. As the ceremony progressed, we found ourselves in the middle of the ground with the rest of the teams.

‘Best of luck, Hernan. I’ll look forward to meeting you in a match.’ Diego Armando Maradona, one of the best players ever to grace the game. Now, he was here as the manager of the Argentina team.

Tongue tied, I could just shake his hand. This was turning out to be one of the best days of my life. With any luck, there would be a few more to come over the summer. Life was good.

Ibarra Speaks

We were inside. Not one of us had been stopped. I thought to myself ‘This is too easy’. The ceremony was well organized. There were dances, songs, speeches. But my attention was somewhere else. A security official would cross a particular area every 10 minutes. That would give me enough time to set up what I needed to. The security contingent was majorly focused inside the ground, with a decent smattering inside the crowds. That didn’t seem to be too much of a problem.

The other major problem was the crowd. I had to make sure I didn’t attract any unwanted attention from them while the process was underway. That was going to be tougher. I’d have to ensure a way to do it without making myself too noticeable.

After the ceremony, we got out of the stadium. There wasn’t much to be achieved hanging around a foolish game when there was work to be done.

Archived