4-2-2-2 Staggered

I was toying around with the 4-2-2-2 Box that's been documented in TT&F, and saw the discussion that it was too exposed in the flanks to be effective in nations that employ wide tactics. I wanted the 4-2-2-2 to retain its shape somewhat and not resort to using any wingers. Anyway, here is what I've come up with so far, the 4-2-2-2 Staggered formation that staggers the FCs and AMCs without resorting to wing play. I just wanted to share it with you guys, see if it works wonders for your teams as well.

Previous Versions

http://h1.ripway.com/NeonChaos/MEATLOAFSTER%204-2-2-2%20Staggered.tac

Latest: http://h1.ripway.com/NeonChaos/4-2-2-2%20Staggered%201.1%20(Newcastle,%20Sep%202018).tac

4-2-2-2%20staggered.bmp

Note that you will need a lot of creativity in the midfield in order to pull this formation off. And you must have pacey defenders with good heading if you want to keep your opponents at bay. This is primarily an attack formation that looks to keep on abusing the gaps in the opposing team's formation. You are essentially playing four playmakers, which is why your midfielders having creativity cannot be ignored.

Position / Role / Duty

GK / Goalkeeper / Defend

DL / Fullback / Support

DCl / Central Defender / Defend

DCr / Central Defender / Defend

DR / Fullback / Support

MCl / Deep Lying Playmaker / Support

MCr / Deep Lying Playmaker / Support

AMC / Attacking Midfielder / Attack

AMCr / Inside Forward / Attack

FCl / Advanced Forward / Attack

FC / Deep Lying Forward / Support

Philosophy: Very Fluid

Starting Strategy: Attacking

Passing Style: Shorter

Creative Freedom: More Expressive

Closing Down: Default

Tacking: Default

Marking: Zonal Marking

Crossing: Default

Roaming: More Roaming

Advanced Settings:

Width to maximum

Shouts:

When losing the possession battle by a considerable amount (Retain Posession, Pass To Feet)

OI:

Assistant Set

Teamtalks:

Bubabay's Team Talks

Edit:

I've managed to tweak the the player roles a bit. Set both MCs to support roles, and moves the deep lying forward in the FC. The AMCs are now an Attacking Midfielder and an Inside Forward.

Archived