Leaking Defence

Hi all,

I'm struggling with my defence, conceding goals and giving away to many chances. I'm playing as Preston North End with a 4-4-2.

Hopefully someone can help.

Cheers in advance.

Hey,

As I'm from those parts I've done a Preston game myself. I got promoted to the Premier League in the first season. What information do you have about your team? I might be able to give you some tips :)

Any help is welcome cheers. I'm playing 4-4-2.

My settings are,

Balanced

Standard

Shorter

Disciplined

Floated

Default.

I'm playing with a normal pace and width and a slightly deep line. I don't seem to have a problem scoring but give far to many chances away which then turn into goals.

I have Gibson on loan from Man Utd, a Mexican striker called Fonseca and Sol Campbell apart from that its the same team, Tell a lie Nolan went to Everton.

I'm not very good at the game but keep trying.

Anything else you need to know?

Individual settings for each of your defenders would tell more about the set up of your defence.

For now, the best advice i can give is, find yourself a tactic on this board that suits the players you have, download it, play a couple of matches, and slowly adapt it so it works more the way you want it to (longer/shorter passes, faster/slower tempo etc.). This way you have a solid tactic to start with, so your team should do decently, and meanwhile you learn what the sliders do, and how to set up your players the way you want them to.

And as with any game, everyone starts as a n00b, the only way to get better is to keep trying :)

Any help is welcome cheers. I'm playing 4-4-2.

My settings are,

Balanced

Standard

Shorter

Disciplined

Floated

Default.

I'm playing with a normal pace and width and a slightly deep line. I don't seem to have a problem scoring but give far to many chances away which then turn into goals.

I have Gibson on loan from Man Utd, a Mexican striker called Fonseca and Sol Campbell apart from that its the same team, Tell a lie Nolan went to Everton.

I'm not very good at the game but keep trying.

Anything else you need to know?

Your team isn't that much different to the team I played with to be honest. Instead of Sol Campbell I signed Oliver Tebily but I also signed Fonseca and sold Nolan to Everton, bringing Gibson in on loan. I also signed an attacking midfielder who can play on the wide right position. His name is Jorge Soto and he is 38 years old. He plays really well in that first season though, scores goals and gets assists. He's also free. His work permit gets turned down at first but if you appeal he will be given one.

In regards to the actual tactic I used the tactic creator, played a 4-5-1, shorter passing, more pressing, more disciplined creative freedom and drilled crosses. The marking and tackling were left to default. The philosophy was rigid and playing style was controlled. I didn't use any shouts or OI's but I did make slight tactical changes during games if I was losing such as going from controlled to attacking and substituting any players playing poorly or in low condition.

The team was set up as follows;

GK - Lonergan - Goalkeeper - Defend

DR - Jones - Full Back - Support

DC - Tebily - Central Defender - Defend

DC - Mawene - Central Defender - Defend

DL - Davidson - Full Back - Support

DMC - Shemulikoski - Defensive Midfielder - Defend

MC - Gibson - Central Midfielder - Support

MC - Chaplow - Central Midfielder - Support

AMR - Soto - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Wallace - Inside Forward - Attack

SC - Fonseca - Poacher - Attack

The reason I chose control from the start was because I wasn't sure how Preston's team would cope and some of the defenders are quite slow so I didn't want to play with a high defensive line incase they were exploited for pace by anybody. It seemed to work from the off as controlled so I just kept with it. Obviously as you bring in better players and faster defenders you would be able to get away with switching to attacking on a more regular basis.

This was on patch 10.2 and was one of the first games I played on it. I might have done a couple of things slightly differently looking back at it but using this team and settings and gained promotion to the Premier League via coming 2nd in The Championship. The front 3 all chipped in with a fair amount of goals. 20+ from Fonseca, 10+ from Soto and Wallace. I also managed to get Gibson to score 17 from midfield.

Like I say I didn't do an awful lot tactically and this set up appeared to work pretty well for the players mentioned above. I'm not promising this same set up will work for you but it could be a starting point for you.

Hope this helps

Your team isn't that much different to the team I played with to be honest. Instead of Sol Campbell I signed Oliver Tebily but I also signed Fonseca and sold Nolan to Everton, bringing Gibson in on loan. I also signed an attacking midfielder who can play on the wide right position. His name is Jorge Soto and he is 38 years old. He plays really well in that first season though, scores goals and gets assists. He's also free. His work permit gets turned down at first but if you appeal he will be given one.

In regards to the actual tactic I used the tactic creator, played a 4-5-1, shorter passing, more pressing, more disciplined creative freedom and drilled crosses. The marking and tackling were left to default. The philosophy was rigid and playing style was controlled. I didn't use any shouts or OI's but I did make slight tactical changes during games if I was losing such as going from controlled to attacking and substituting any players playing poorly or in low condition.

The team was set up as follows;

GK - Lonergan - Goalkeeper - Defend

DR - Jones - Full Back - Support

DC - Tebily - Central Defender - Defend

DC - Mawene - Central Defender - Defend

DL - Davidson - Full Back - Support

DMC - Shemulikoski - Defensive Midfielder - Defend

MC - Gibson - Central Midfielder - Support

MC - Chaplow - Central Midfielder - Support

AMR - Soto - Inside Forward - Attack

AML - Wallace - Inside Forward - Attack

SC - Fonseca - Poacher - Attack

The reason I chose control from the start was because I wasn't sure how Preston's team would cope and some of the defenders are quite slow so I didn't want to play with a high defensive line incase they were exploited for pace by anybody. It seemed to work from the off as controlled so I just kept with it. Obviously as you bring in better players and faster defenders you would be able to get away with switching to attacking on a more regular basis.

This was on patch 10.2 and was one of the first games I played on it. I might have done a couple of things slightly differently looking back at it but using this team and settings and gained promotion to the Premier League via coming 2nd in The Championship. The front 3 all chipped in with a fair amount of goals. 20+ from Fonseca, 10+ from Soto and Wallace. I also managed to get Gibson to score 17 from midfield.

Like I say I didn't do an awful lot tactically and this set up appeared to work pretty well for the players mentioned above. I'm not promising this same set up will work for you but it could be a starting point for you.

Hope this helps

Interesting. Now, I was really justified to create a new approach. Perhaps to start a new game.

I have not used the new tactic creator yet. Only without success. :)

Interesting. Now, I was really justified to create a new approach. Perhaps to start a new game.

I have not used the new tactic creator yet. Only without success. :)

Obviously if you decide to play similarly to this, make sure your players have the correct attributes for each position. For example, you need to make sure your 3 central midfield players all have decent tackling ability for the division you are playing in otherwise you will get overrun by the opposition. The AML and AMR need to have good finishing, dribbling and pace as they act more like forwards than wingers :)

Archived