Deeper forwards

There always seems to be quite a distance between my midfield and forwards. This isn't the fault of the midfield as they get forward quite well but my forwards never seem to wander deep.

Both of them are set as deep lying forwards with support. But they never wander backwards like their role description entails to allow them integrate deeper in midfield.

So I'm just wondering..what should I do to get my forwards going deeper?

They're set to rare on forward runs and run with ball, hold up ball is off, roam from position is off. It's getting a problem because all my four midfielders end up doing is kicking it close to a third up the pitch as my forwards aren't coming deep to help out.

Any tips guys?

How "deep" are your deep lying forwards?

The problem with having two is that they'll get confused. On the attack, players naturally get into an advanced position for a goalscoring chances. If you have one player as an Advanced Forward, he'll be the one doing that and your DLF can drop deeper.

Also, given what your midfield is doing, the gap is simply too big between midfield and attack on your tactic. Try playing either a higher defensive line, or playing an AMC. Also, check whether you have Direct passing on as that may be making your midfielders try the elaborate pass over the top, which is not suited to a DLF.

It's hard to state without looking at your tactic - if you like, upload it and I'll have a look.

Well basically..I play as arsenal, very patient & probing style. Set on contain, lowest mentality, shortest passing but a decent amount of creativity. I work the universal idea and everyone has a team setting.

What about if I play a deep lying forward and a trequartista?

Alternatively I can try what you say..play with an AMC

also, would through balls have anything to do with hitting the ball quite long sometimes.. except for the four midfielders(they're set on sometimes) everyone else has rarely plays through balls.

I think through balls applies to balls over the top into the space in behind as well as the traditional flat passes.

Personally, I'd play a Deep Lying Forward with an Advanced Forward. The problem with playing a Trequartista with a DLF is that they sort of do the same thing in that they drop into the "hole" between defence and midfield.

You need a "spearhead" in the attack if you're playing a front two partnership. If you really want to play a Trequartista, I'd do it in the AMC role with an Advanced Forward ahead of him.

Archived