I'm having trouble with FM10 tactics. Please help

I just got FM10 after playing FM09 for a long time. In 09, I had a great roster, and had mastered the tactics. In my fifth season with sunderland I am undefeated with sunderland through 22 games. I lead the league in goals for and goals against. I have won the Champions League every season since I qualified after my first season. I have won the league every year also.

So, I have copied my tactic from FM09 to FM10 and although I have a pretty good squad, I am barely scoring, my defense is terrible, etc.

I am using a basic 442 formation, and I have my two DC's with mentality of basically 1/4 of the bar, my DR/DL at 1/2 of the mentality bar, my MC defending three-four clicks below halway on the mentality bar, my MC-attacking about 5 clicks above halfway on the mentality bar, my ML and MR at 1/2 of the mentality bar or 1 above 1/2. MY FC-D is 1/2 of the bar, and my FC-A is three - four clicks away from the max mentality.

In terms of run with ball, creative freedom, etc, they are all done accurately to each player, just like in FM09. someone with 20 passing 20 creative freedom will has high creative freedom and many through balls. Someone with good pace/flair/dribbling will have run with ball a lot, etc. The closing down is just like I had it in 09.

The whole man vs zonal marking is giving me some trouble because it's different than in FM10, so is tight marking. My DC's have man marking and possibly my MC-D and the rest should have zonal.

Anyway where am i going wrong? What about opposition instructions? In FM09 u wanted to give weaker foot and closing down always to all the attacking players, but in FM10 it seems like less is more? I really have no idea. Please advise.

There is only one person with through balls often, and only my two wingers with run with ball often. Therefore it's not too much individual play, etc. The only big attribute gaps I have are between the MC-D and MC-A, and between the FC-A and FC-D. This is what i used in FM09 though and it worked. I would look through the tactics theorum but arent they making you pay for it now? or is it just on ebooks because its so long?

Anyway it's a lot to read regardless. Can someone who's very good at this game just look at what i wrote and tell me some more opinions on why it's not working, and then i can fool around with some of the suggestions and see if any work.

Short answer: It is a combination of too large mentality gaps and a tactic based on individual attributes rather than systematic play.

Long answer: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=159310

I started out with the new creator but that doesn't take into account if you have an MC with good dribbling and passing or just one with good passing. So i started with that and then did some tweaks on the mentalities and personal instructions, etc. I'm in 4th place right now on my first season with sunderland about 6-7 games in (with about 15 new players so the understanding isn't exactly great). It's just they're not dominating or scoring first every game like on my FM09 team, and they're very inconsistent. Away vs west ham they were just terrible. lost 3-0. Vs arsenal it ended 3-3 away at the emirates but for the first half of the match i had 60-40 possession. then i clicked the "ask assistant" button by accident on the opposition instructions screen, and couldnt get back what i had before, and it evened out to 50/50 by the end of the game and they came back.

so i dont know if im actually doing good or what. but most games my 442 doesnt work too well so i move the wingers up to make it a 424 and then i start playing better. if i have to rely on a 424 every game im in trouble.

Short answer: It is a combination of too large mentality gaps and a tactic based on individual attributes rather than systematic play.

Long answer: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=159310

It's free. It also explains everything you want to know.

The other option would be to use the new creator. That will also help enormously.

Archived