Sports interactive should be ashamed

I am no FM hater. I enjoyed the last three FM games, despite their many, many flaws, because the bread and butter elements of the game worked at least decently. (building whatever kind of team you like - skilled, great tackling/heading but less skilled, passing but slow, fast and skilled at dribbling, some combinations, whatever, and utilizing your players and team semi-realistically in the match engine, and watching your players perform, influencing your players' performances with your tactics and personal instructions, etc). So I am no FM hater (or at least I wasn't). I enjoyed those games.

But, with that said, FM10 is one of the worst games I have ever played. Not just one of the worst FM games, but one of the worst games of any kind. It is terrible.

I spent about 48 hours scouting for players, offering contracts, etc etc, just in the first transfer window of my first season with sunderland, before the league even started. I ultimately brought in Cassano, Dzeko, Otamendi, Rafinha, Radoi, Milevskiy, Palombo, Hamsik, Martin Palermo, Riquelme, Buonanotte, Rivaldo on the cheap, and a bunch of top prospects who aren't quite ready to play let.

#1. It is completely ridiculous that I was able to buy 200 million worth of players with only 55 million in transfer funds because of this new, ridiculous over 48 months payment that only takes 1/4 of the value out of your transfer budget.

But...

#2. With such a stupid advantage given to the player, the match engine/tactical system would really just have to be terrible for that advantage to not be sufficient enough to grant the player success and dominance. I am 1/4 of the way through my season, and 6 points from first place. Might seem good to some for season one, but if you'd played my games, you'd know I've had to change to a 424 nearly every game just to come back and get a draw or a win. vs Chelsea, Man Utd, and Liverpool, home or away, scoring is impossible. I get 10 breakaways a game because the match engine is so bad, yet, even worse, every shot gets drilled straight at the keeper. And those rare, rare, rare, rare , rare shots that actually get aimed at a corner get saved by the greatest saves of the century match after match, no matter who the goalie is.

I won every competition I was entered in every season with sunderland in FM09 in patch 10.3. The game was much more fun from the start, and the match engine was much more realistic. There were faults in that game, including that I was able to build an all-star team from players most have never heard of (if they have not played FM). Those players' attributes have been corrected for this year's game.

The breaking point for me in FM10 was home vs Portsmouth. At least I have only lost once at home in the league this season. But vs Portsmouth, sporting my 100% superior lineup, and a balanced, neutral 442 formation with a MC-D, MC-A, FC-D, and FC-A - the same tactic that was amazing for me in FM10... I've just fallen behind 3-0 within the first 20 minutes. Portsmouth are getting clean in on goal easily, whereas my Cassano's, Hamsik's, Milevskiy's, Buonanotte's, etc etc, my immensely talented players, vs Portsmouth's inferior defense, cannot create a thing.

West ham is in first place in the league by the way.

The game is just awful. FM08 was worse than FM07 in some ways, better in some, but overall FM07 just had something to it that FM08 did not. FM09 was much better than FM08 of course. And FM10 is the only FM game that reminds me of NHL Eastside manager (just a total failure) and those MLB manager games that don't even have a match engine, where you really have to stretch your mind to try and have any enjoyment of it. You keep trying to convince yourself that the game is playable, because there are no other options for management sims, but you just can't. It falls through over and over again.

It's just awful. SI should be ashamed. The people who told me patch 10.2 fixed the game's problems and got me to buy it should be ashamed. I am a big FM fan, and love the idea of a good management sim, but this is one of the worst video games I've ever played. Everything they've built up over the last decade with this game series (though as slowly as is humanly possible without qualifying as being inert) has just disintegrated in this game.

It's not right what you've done. People put days and days into transfers and building their team in this game before even experiencing much of the match engine, and by the time they find out what a terrible, terrible job you guys have done with this, it's too late - they've already wasted days, or even a few weeks of their lives!

Think about it. If you steal one month per player's life, and 1200 players play it, that's wasting 100 years of total time. That's an entire lifetime of time. You are wasting lifetimes. If you waste 12000, that's ten lifetimes. And obviously way more people play this game. therefore you are wasting way more lifetimes. At least if the game delivers then people are getting enjoyment out of it, and it's not just a complete waste. It's bringing them some form of happiness.

But this... FM10... it is truly a cncer. Just terrible. You should truly be ashamed. Every year you rest on your laurels, release a game that's less than half finished, then sit on your laurels some more, spend about 20 hours over the next 6 months getting the game from 35% finished to 50% finished, and that's when the .3 patch comes out. You have lost a regular customer, and I hope you lose more because this despicable apathy towards your customers, and your game (which you are obviously bored of making) means you don't deserve the customers you have, at least for now.

Over-react much?

I've already pointed out that you have some basic problems with your tactical structure. Perhaps if you put the man hours into reading the link I provided rather than scouting players and ranting you'd begin to understand how the ME works.

#1. It is completely ridiculous that I was able to buy 200 million worth of players with only 55 million in transfer funds because of this new, ridiculous over 48 months payment that only takes 1/4 of the value out of your transfer budget.

Not really when in a few seasons you'll find yourself being put into administration,being deducted points and your top players being sold for cheap! leaving you back at square 1.

Also just because you've signed a host of top players doesnt mean your going to start battering teams straight away.Most of those players cant even speak English so untill they settle in to the club and with each other,you will struggle.

You're taking a big risk in paying that money over a long term - you now have to rely on maintaining success over a period of time, probably with limited funds and an aging squad. Failure to find that success will likely cost you your job.

Portsmouth and Leeds are amongst the real life examples where big gambles, very much like this, have hit a club hard down the line as a club tries to outlive its means.

You're also likely to find success harder to come by in the short term due to all the purchases you've made unsettling the squad; I suspect this is a big factor in your struggles thus far.

I think your post suggests that actually SI have done pretty well, and have nothing to be ashamed of - they've just made the game work that little bit better in my opinion. :)

As a Pompey fan I can only wish you good luck with that. It is taking a massive risk which didn't pay off for us.

Not really when in a few seasons you'll find yourself being put into administration,being deducted points and your top players being sold for cheap! leaving you back at square 1.

I was going to say exactly that. Each month, you're going to leak money, and if you fail to bring success to the club you won't be getting the money you need to make up for this. It won't be long before your clubs a mess and falling apart. It might seem like an easy way to sign players, but the risks are far greater.

Sure with 48months payments you'll get NOW many players you couldn't afford with up-front cash, but the trick is you'll have to pay the monthly installments anyway...

and £ 200M worth of players over 48 months means you'll have to fork out 4 millions a month... Good luck with that... you'll probably go belly up before the 48 months are gone.

About absurd losses and other incomprehensible match outcomes, yes it happens. But more often than not it's a matter of wrong approach to the game.

Overconfidence, complacency, wrong team talk, or just the typical bad day on the job... it happens.

Sometimes you can change the course of the game, some other times nothing will work and you're bound to lose.

Just give the game, and yourself, time. Time to understand how it works beyond the "pick up and play" level.

Oh and if we really want to point fingers, the broker AI transfer system and the craptacular newgens are the real letdowns in FM10.

Losing 0-3 to a relegation candidate is just a minor bump on the road.

Archived