Rate my Hamburg team.

I’m just starting my 4th season as Hamburg manager on FM2008. For the last 2 seasons I have finished 3rd whilst winning the German FA Cup. The board has been skint so forced me to sell any decent player I have like Van Der Vaart, Kompany, Modric etc. Nigel De Jong also just left for Porto on a Bosman. Also, I bought Ricardo Montovilio and he played half a season, broke his leg then buggered off in the Summer for AC Milan at a 5 million profit. Not bad. My first XI looks something like this. Please excuse some of the spellings.

GK – Craig Gordon (Bought from Sunderland for 10mil)

LB – Maijssen

RB – Guy Demel

CB – Chris Samba (12mil)

CB – Rodrigo (8mil from Heerenveen)

LM – Piotr Trochowski

RM – Feindouno (Can’t remember where I bought him from, 11 mil)

CM – Nigel Ernst (First buy on the game for 4.5mil. Captain)

CM – Joey Barton (Just bought from Man City for 10mil to replace De Jong)

AMC – Renato Augusto

FC – Ivica Olic (Scored 40 goals first season, 57 in the second and 50 in the third despite missing the last 3 months)

In reserve I have a few decent players like Paul Scharner, Jerome Boateng, Ibrahim Sonko, Vittel and a cracking young striker that came through my youth team called Macauley Christaneus. Come in whenever Olic gets injured and scores plenty.

So what’s the verdict? Is this a potentially Champions League winning squad? My only concern is that I can’t seem to keep a clean sheet to save my life. When I won the cup and came third last season I kept about 6 in total. But I always score a hatful so it normally doesn’t seem to matter. What tactics could I possibly use to shore up my defense without compromising my attacking force? Any little hints that could make a difference? My defenders do seem to make a lot of mistakes when we are a goal or two up.

Archived