FM08 - Official Leeds United Thread ''-15 and we'll still go up!''

bazblock

Leeds United 09/10 Coca Cola Championship

Great season! Really tough fight with Blackburn to win the league, but in the end I got it.

League Table

Graph

Topscorer Danny Haynes

Jonny Howson was the most important player this year, truly great organizing the central midfield perfectly, I will be exciting to see if he can continue in the Premiership

Jonny Howson

Thiago is a great prospect as well, looking forward to see him dribble in the Premiership.

Thiago

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bjs15:

could you please post a sreenshot of your team and tactics please icon14.gif

Team atm: http://i21.tinypic.com/2j0fuk0.png

I didn't have: van Damme, Routhledge, Warnock, Breno, L. Andreasen, Bjarnason. Those are bought in the transfer window.

The tactics:

Normal 4-4-2 with long arrow up for the MR and ML

Instructions: http://i20.tinypic.com/mwa5ar.png

Unbelievable!

Leeds 3-1 Sunderland

Norwich 2-5 Leeds

Leeds 2-2 Chelsea

I think this is going to be a wonderful season!

If I can maintain this form I'll definitely achieve the goal of 'avoiding relegation.'

Oh, a very pretty touch how you can specify what type of feeder club you want! "Commercial link" every time. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Originally posted by -TonyVain-:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marchena:

Thiago is a great prospect as well, looking forward to see him dribble in the Premiership.

Thiago

Is this Thiago guy a regen? If not, who does he start the game playing for??

T.V. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's from FC Barcelona.

They offered him to me at loan first and then i signed him later for about 1m£

Originally posted by Marchena:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -TonyVain-:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marchena:

Thiago

Is this Thiago guy a regen? If not, who does he start the game playing for??

T.V. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's from FC Barcelona.

They offered him to me at loan first and then i signed him later for about 1m£ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I'll check him out.

And anyone starting as Leeds - Tiago Ronaldo MUST be your first signing!

He's 17 and already described as a cultured midfielder. He has amazing stats for his age and only cost me £10k!!!

tiagonc5.th.png

T.V.

Couple of patch questions:

Is it just my memory playing up or is it the case that a bunch of players are valued much more highly post-patch than they were before (Beckford, Parker, Rothery, Ameobi)?

Also, can anybody confirm or deny whether the 8.0.1 patch affects the board confidence bug? I'm tired of dragging the club up to a midtable position and then getting sacked in December regardless. Obv I've installed the patch and could just give it a go myself and see but I'd rather not potentially waste another fruitless half-season if this hasn't been addressed.

hey hey, just to check, what was everyones budget pre season? mine happened to be 1mil to begin with then boosted to 1.3 mil after i said i was goin for promotion. which is goin to happen. easily. Currently im 3rd by 16th of Nov, with some quality signings (tyson £500k,(oh yes) Julian Bennet £300k, and Marcus Tudgay (£400k (and i dont even use him as a striker >_&lticon_wink.gif

My Current Team =

GK) Ankergren

DR) Richardson

DL) Bennet

DC) Heath (looking to replace - any suggestions?)

DC) Huntington

MC) Douglas (capt)

MC) Westlake

AMR) Tudgay

AML) Da Costa

FC) Beckford

FC) Tyson

12) Lucas (looking to replace - going for hennessey of wolves should promotion occur)

13) Marques (looking for replacement)

14) Thommo (proper capt)

15) Prutton

16) Kandol

Win, I think. And praise good performances. Don't be too harsh for poor performances during away games. I think someone mentioned that there's a bug with the beta-patch about plummeting morale. I've noticed that with good morale Leeds churn out results, but if they are in the dumps they are more subject to losing.

CB is Butler from Scunthorpe. Enquire about him and I think they say 300k!

Is that Andy Butler? The reason I ask is my scout says he is decent League One player. I'm assuming that's because he has a low CA. But if you do a search for CBs with marking, tackling, positioning, concentration, strength, jumping all of 15 are above he has key attributes similar to some well known top quality centre halfs. They look lower premiership quality to me.

So does he perform like his attributes suggest he should be able to? He's going for 30K in 2009 which seems like a bargain to me.

What tactic is everyone using? I'm managing leeds in my first season and I can't even seem to ge tit out of my own half!

Anyone wanna share any tips? Also, what are good ways to boost morale?

thanks!

The only thing I would say is that the Leeds team seem ridiculously sensitive to morale changes. One defeat and things can go downhill quickly so I never ever gave a negative team talk after a poor performance as I learned pretty quickly that this was a surefire way to slump.

As for tactics I am the last person to ask. The weird thing is I played as Leeds on the demo and when it ended I was 6th and only 8 points off the top. When I got the full game I wanted the bigger database so decided to start fresh. Same signings and everything yet I tried 4 times and not once did I get higher than 10th before I got the sack. So i loaded up my demo game and have gotten teo straight promotions to the premiership. But if my experiences in the cup are anything to go by (got hammered by Blackburn and Everton) I won't be there for long.

What's been people who have made it to the Premiership experience of the board? Did anyone get sacked because they got relegated?

As for tactics I am the last person to ask. The weird thing is I played as Leeds on the demo and when it ended I was 6th and only 8 points off the top. When I got the full game I wanted the bigger database so decided to start fresh. Same signings and everything yet I tried 4 times and not once did I get higher than 10th before I got the sack. So i loaded up my demo game and have gotten two straight promotions to the premiership. But if my experiences in the cup are anything to go by (got hammered by Blackburn and Everton) I won't be there for long.

What's been people who have made it to the Premiership experience of the board? Did anyone get sacked because they got relegated?

Originally posted by MonsterTor:

Ok I really really need help with my leeds team. I can't score for anytihng and im leaking goals everywhere, despite having a great squad! Im gonna get the sack soonicon_frown.gif anyone got any tactical tips? I'm using an attacking 4-4-2.

Try using a 4-1-4-1 with all your two centre mids and two wide players all set to make forward runs often and run with the ball, etc. Forward arrows on the wide players but not on the centre mids, and set your striker to hold up the ball and play through balls often. Striker gets the ball, one/two/three/four midfielders run past him and he plays it through the defence to one of them - has worked wonders for me. But remember you need the right type of players with the right stats for each position. Eg, a striker with 14+ for passing and creativity would be helpful, and midfielders with high stamina and good dribbling/finishing stats.

Good luck if you try it.

T.V.

Striker gets the ball, one/two/three/four midfielders run past him and he plays it through the defence to one of them - has worked wonders for me.

I use the same exploit except with a 4132. The only problem I have is that for some reason midfielders with really good striker attributes (finishing, technique, composure) don't seem to convert as many chances as they should. I also find it leads to a few dominate but lose matches because the midfielders have the majority of shots but tend to be less efficient at converting chances than strikers. Do you find these issues as well?

Did tou find it difficult when you were heavy favourites as the opposition would put up a brick wall and tracking back like demons? Have yet to figure out what to do in that scenario but I am on my way to the Premiership so that won't be an issue for a while icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by isuckatfm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Striker gets the ball, one/two/three/four midfielders run past him and he plays it through the defence to one of them - has worked wonders for me.

I use the same exploit except with a 4132. The only problem I have is that for some reason midfielders with really good striker attributes (finishing, technique, composure) don't seem to convert as many chances as they should. I also find it leads to a few dominate but lose matches because the midfielders have the majority of shots but tend to be less efficient at converting chances than strikers. Do you find these issues as well?

Did tou find it difficult when you were heavy favourites as the opposition would put up a brick wall and tracking back like demons? Have yet to figure out what to do in that scenario but I am on my way to the Premiership so that won't be an issue for a while icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm no, not really noticed that specific problem.

And against uber-defensive teams I play 3-4-1-2 and set tempo to quick, width to wide and passing to short. It tends to stretch their defence going from left wing to right wing and back looking for a chance, and it normally opens up a gap in the end for one of my midfielders to burst through.

Also check the pace/acceleration/jumping/heading attributes of the oppositions centrebacks. Try putting your tall striker against the shorter of their two centrebacks and playing to his head, or your fastest striker against their slowest centreback. Simple but often effective. And you can try having your strikers swap positions, makes them harder to mark.

Good luck.

T.V.

Greetings all..

So.. I’ve started a game with Leeds and tried to target players that will hopefully get me promoted in the first season, and then be able to cut it in the Championship and possibly Prem. I have taken ages looking round teams and scouting players to make sure I bring in the right players at the right prices. Because of all this I am only a few games into the season at the moment.

First thing I did though was request a Parent Club. Eventually got offered a choice of Aston Villa or Newcastle – I went with Newcastle.

Goalkeepers:

Having read a few peoples experiences with Ankergren I was a bit unsure about him. I gave him a chance though. First three games, he conceded 7 goals. Tried Alan Martin for a few games but he didn’t do much better. So I went looking around the Romanian/Finnish/Dutch clubs for a good goalkeeper on the cheap. Eventually decided to go for Niki Maenpaa – an uncapped 22 year old from Finland who cost me £70k. I’ve only played two league games so far, but he’s kept two clean sheets and just been called up to the Finland squad.

Defence:

I wanted to keep as much of the defence together as I could, as that’s the one part of the team that I think takes longer to work well together. I was confident with Parker, Huntington and Richardson; but Heath is far too slow and neither Hughes nor Marques have good enough defensive stats. I checked out a LOT of the free transfers and opted to go with Djibril Diawara (good in the air, great physical attributes and versatile) as my first choice partner for Huntington. Brought in Andy Butler as my third choice centreback, and also Ryan McGowan as a backup centreback and prospect for the future. To cover the fullbacks I brought in Scott Golbourne and Dominic Shimmin both on loan, and loaned Jack Hobbs too.

Midfield:

Not strong enough and not enough depth. Brought in Benoit Leroy to play on the left wing and Weirauch to play on the right (Benoit Leroy can play in a few positions though). I also brought in Tiago Ronaldo as a defensive playmaker type of player, he is only 17 and is already described as a cultured midfielder. Loaned Jem Karacan and Levi Porter as back ups but Karacan has been one of very few playing well in preseason so he may get a few games early on to see how he cuts it.

Sold Jonathan Douglas and Ian Westlake for a total of £350k.

Attack:

Generally the strikers don’t look too bad but I strengthened with Aaritalo who is great in the air and can play on either wing too, and also Kostadinov who is lightening quick and a good finisher. Brought Bradley Wright-Phillips in on loan too.

Future prospects:

GK – Czaplinski

D C – Dorian Andronic

AM/F C – Boyan Tabakov and Lauri Dalla Valle

ST – Gael Nlundulu

PRESEASON

I lost five games – Hearts, Drogheda United, Portadown, Sheffield United and Blackpool. And drew two games – Chelsea Reserves and Carlisle. I thought I was going to get sacked before I’d even played a league game! I didn’t panic though, I put it down to the poor morale of the squad, the bad condition of the squad, and the chopping and changing due to this.

So far I have played two league games – beating Carlisle and Cheltenham in two 1-0 home wins. I also beat Hartlepool 3-2 in the first round of the Flo, Aaritalo and Huntington. I’m glad the start of the season is going better than preseason!

Will update you all again in January.

T.V.

Originally posted by -TonyVain-:

So far I have played two league games – beating Carlisle and Cheltenham in two 1-0 home wins. I also beat Hartlepool 3-2 in the first round of the League Cup. Wright-Phillips is looking lively with two goals; the others coming from Flo, Aaritalo and Huntington. I’m glad the start of the season is going better than preseason!

Leeds United 10/11 Premiership

Great first season in the Premiership. Jonny Howson alongside Thiago on the central midfield did well again this season and the two fast strikers (Haynes and Campbell) scored a lot of goals. The defence could've been better.

League Table

Graph

Topscorer Fraizer Campbell

Alan Martin Was surprise of the season, he made it into the starting 11 instead of Joe Hart and has done quite well, but I'll try to find a better GK'er in the summer break, cos I think there's better alternatives.

The finances are looking quite good, especially after the Robbie Fowler takeover.

Just started my 3rd season with Leeds. Won League one by two points and the paint tin trophy. Won the Championship by 16 points and now won my first three games on the season included a 2-1 at Anfield (Vanden Borre scored from like 70 yards on his debut lmao)

As for signings, my best so far has been Lasse Qvist from Kobenhaven for 180k i think it was. Scored 26 goals last season and already has three this season from 3 games.

Team as things stand right now (one added player i might add)

(GK)

Opdal

Lund

Andersen

(RB)

Vanden Borre

Hoyte

McKenna

(CB)

Huntington

Michalik

Wilkingson

Mancienne (loan)

(LB)

Parker

Sylvinho

(RM)

Le Tallec

(DM)

Wesolowski

Diego Rivas

(AM)

Rothery

Copil

Howson

(LM)

Da Costa

Rose

(ST)

Qvist

Bojinov

Warner

Beckford

Currently top of the Premiership after 3 games

(a) Liverpool 1-2 (Vanden Borre, Warner)

(h) Wigan 3-0 (Qvist 2, Da Costa)

(a) Bolton 1-0 (Qvist)

I'll keep ya posted

And against uber-defensive teams I play 3-4-1-2 and set tempo to quick, width to wide and passing to short. It tends to stretch their defence going from left wing to right wing and back looking for a chance, and it normally opens up a gap in the end for one of my midfielders to burst through.

Also check the pace/acceleration/jumping/heading attributes of the oppositions centrebacks. Try putting your tall striker against the shorter of their two centrebacks and playing to his head, or your fastest striker against their slowest centreback. Simple but often effective. And you can try having your strikers swap positions, makes them harder to mark.

Thanks for the tips icon14.gif

Originally posted by Marchena:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -TonyVain-:

Congrats Marchena, looks like your Leeds game is going well icon14.gif

Could you post a screenie of your current team for us?

T.V.

The team:

http://i3.tinypic.com/2ptqczk.png

I've bought Sunny, Mata, Crespo (Sevilla), Huddlestone, Robert Green and regen Ben Carrington. I might sign a new left/right back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like a quality team, good work mate icon14.gif

T.V.

I also brought in Tiago Ronaldo as a defensive playmaker type of player, he is only 17 and is already described as a cultured midfielder.

Quick question, where are you all finding this guy? I've heard him mentioned in a good few posts now and he's never in any of my games, even though I'm running a Huge database. Do I need to load all players from a certain nation to generate him?

Quick question, where are you all finding this guy? I've heard him mentioned in a good few posts now and he's never in any of my games, even though I'm running a Huge database. Do I need to load all players from a certain nation to generate him?

His rep is only local so you have to load all players from portugal or have the portugese leagues active.

But his PA isn't that great. Decent championship player at best IMO. Although others might disagree.

Originally posted by massive_genius:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also brought in Tiago Ronaldo as a defensive playmaker type of player, he is only 17 and is already described as a cultured midfielder.

Quick question, where are you all finding this guy? I've heard him mentioned in a good few posts now and he's never in any of my games, even though I'm running a Huge database. Do I need to load all players from a certain nation to generate him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three screenies showing his profile, personal and history pages:

tiago1de8.th.png

tiago2oh1.th.png

tiago3cx2.th.png

T.V.

Hi all,,,Just started season 2007-2008 with Leeds,spent a total of 500k on the following players;

Lauri Dalla Valle.(Jippo)free. MCR

Branimir Kostadinov(Hearts)55k. ST

Kelvin Langmead.(Shrewsbury)190k.DC/ST

Joel Kouassi.(FC Libourne-Saint-Seurin).75k. DRC

Dan Smith.(Aberdeen).190k.D/ML

Alex.(Vasco RC).85k.

also got two players on loan from Everton,John Paul Kissock (MCR) and Bjarni Vidarsson (DMC).Playing a 4-4-2

GK.A Martin

DR.F Richardson

DL.B.Parker/D.Smith

DC.P.Huntington

DC.J Kouassi

MR.A.Hughes

ML.A Thompson

MC.B Vidarsson

MC.F DeCosta

FC.J Beckford

FC.B Kostadinov

so far played 4 in the league won 4 score 10 conceded 2.jusr got knocked out of the league cup by Southampton 3-2.was 3-0 down at half time but got it back to 3-2 before missing a penalty in the last minute!!!.

Beckford (3 goals/Av Rat 7.50) and Kostadinov (4gls/Av Rat 7.33) seem a good combination,,both pretty quick.Vidarsson has only played two games so far but has score 2 wirt a Av Rat of 7.50.He seems quality.Dan Smith upset the Leeds fans by saying he was using Leeds as a stepping stone for bigger things,,,cheecky sod!!!!.Any thoughts on a GK and a DR ? Martin rat is 6.83 and Richardsons is 6.80.Cant complain at the moment though having only conceded 2 goals in the league.

Anthony Scribe from Montpellier Herault has the potential to be a good premiership keeper but he's more long term. Not sure he will come in League 1 (I got him in championship for 10K).

I had the same problem but had to make do with Ankergren. I probably would have won League 1 if not for him and the anti Leeds bias in the game icon_wink.gif. Some people have had joy with Iain Turner on loan from Everton but I honestly don't know if he'll go to Leeds.

Archived