FM08 - Official Leeds United Thread ''-15 and we'll still go up!''

bazblock

hi, just finished my first season with leeds and need some advice.

i'm playing on 8.0.2 and still in league one.

my current squad is...

leedssquad.jpg

i did have stancu but he dident settle in the area so i was forced to sell him.

beckford has done well and i looking to move so i'll have to let him go, will be looking to get about 1500000 for him though.

how do you think i can improve my squad for next season?

hopefully i'll have about 2.5 mil to spend

cheers

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get Johan Oremo and Genero Zeefuik (loan him) as your strikers, they tear things up. Furthermore I would play Piatti centrally and get a new left winger, someone like Rene Mihelic.

Cristian Sarghi is not a bad move either, if you want to strengthen your back four. He can play both right and central defence. Rock solid. I got him in the January transfer window and paired him up with Michalik (why don't you use him?) and they made things difficult for the opposition from January 1st and out.

Now that it's your second season I would recommend loaning Fabio from ManUtd to play on your left back as well. He's guaranteed to come, and he's always played well for my Leeds team. I signed him now for my second season as well, and he'd love to make it a permanent deal. Can also play as a winger.

You could also make a move for a better goalie. Preston Edwards is a great signing, might cost you a bit though.

There we go, transfer window closed for the season opening, and I got me a few strengthenings:

Transfers:

Bruno Formigoni from Sao Paulo (DM) €400k

Bernardo from Cruzeiro (MC) 325k

Sam Vokes from Bournemouth (ST) €425k

Loans:

Fabio from Manchester United (DL/WBL/AML)

HÃ¥vard Nordtveit from Arsenal (DC/DM)

Rhys Murphy from Arsenal (ST)

Failed transfer prospects:

Genere Zeefuik (loan); now playing on PSV's first team (DAMNIT!)

Manuel Fischer (loan); rejected me

Bruno de Oliveira (free transfer); work permit

Stefan Scepovic (€190k deal); work permit

Got rid of:

Christopher Fischer

Tore Andre Flo

Frazer Richardson

Darren Kenton

David Lucas

David Prutton

Anthony Elding

Oliver Hotchkiss

Charlie Hutton

Matthew Edwards

Robert Bayly

Tomi Ameobi

Andy Hughes

Ross Wilkinson

Most of them for free. Don't need them in my team hogging the wage budget, and I couldn't sell them for much anyways. Not been used for an entire season =P

I've started the season off very well actually. After 6 league games played I've won 5 and drawn 1, with a goal difference of 19-3. Johan Oremo stands for 7 of those goals, so he's really doing his job well. Beat Crewe (5-1) and Norwich (3-1) in the League Cup, and am facing Aston Villa in the next round. The board is FINALLY happy with my results, which they should be, because I'm beating the doodoo out of pretty much every team I face. Oh well, let's just keep this ball rolling and see where we end up! Preferably on top of the table at the end of the season =)

things are going well i'm in my 4th season with leeds on patch 8.0.2. managed to get promoted in successive seasons and finish 3rd in my fist season in the premiership. stancu had a blinder hitting 23 goals, but he's lost his touch this season. squad is:

GK: ustari, Schmeichel

LB:Bertrand, Clement

DC: Djourou (loan), Wagner, Bramble, Michalik

DR: Angulo, Kaebi

DM: Cana, Alou Diarra, Nangomesh, Shawky

AMC: Giulerme, Buonanotte, Giles Barnes, Duff, Zeefuik

CF: Stancu

i'm using kimz tactic and it's SMASHING!

obviously need a new striker, but who? what else needs strengthening and who do you recommend?

tried to sign arshavin, neves and cahais, but couldnt get a permit for them! bugger!

i'm in 2010 with about 25 mil to spend.

englishmilo- i'm in the same postion as u i need of a striker but i finished 6th so no europe and nobody wants to come plus i only got 18mil as the board are expanding the stadium to 55000. u cud try briand cavani saviet gignac(sp) but if iirc that formation works best with a target man so have a look at gyan or crouch doubt any of them will be interested as the best strikers i can buy are defoe, gaston fernandez, sebastien grax and nilmar.

players id reccomend

league 1- raymond kalla free, adam lallana-90k, marcus williams-100k stancu-1.3mil

championship- zarate 3mil, luis jimenz(sp chile/inter)1/3mil, jack hobbsloan/free, ishmal miller-loan

prem- costin lazar-1.1mil, distel zola-1.5mil, nordtviet-loan, martin pertov-1.5mil hoyte-loan/3.3mil

also play and keep johnny howson and filpe dacosta

i'm on 8.0.1 any ideas for a stirker season 2010/2011 18mil someone unusal as most players have moved/dnt wana come

Originally posted by macsoz:

i'm on 8.0.1 any ideas for a stirker season 2010/2011 18mil someone unusal as most players have moved/dnt wana come

Have you scoured through the relegated teams to see if you can snatch anyone from them? Various reserve teams? Do you send out your scouts to see if there are any prospects?

Personally I'm having high hopes for Sam Vokes. He and Oremo turned out to work really well together, so I'm crossing my fingers for a ton of goals between the two of them, and an equal ammount of assists. If you can get either one, go for it.

Originally posted by DannyC1888:

I've just started a new game as Leeds and I'm wanting to know if there are any good DM's I could get for a cheap price. Cheers icon14.gif

Seyfo Soley is good, and he doesn't have a club at the start of the game. HÃ¥vard Nordtveit is also a pretty good DM, and you'll be able to loan him. Both of these are central defenders as well.

i won the premiership in my 4th season! i am AMAZING!!! made the semi of the champions league and final of the league cup. all in all a damn good season.

the ground was expanded to 55000 capacity and i brought in babel, matias fernandez, vidal, gouffran, emanuelson and djourou. things are looking up! all i need now is a great right back - recommendations? and a superstar striker next summer! ahhhhh i loooooooove leeds!

Originally posted by Englishsmilo123:

i won the premiership in my 4th season! i am AMAZING!!! made the semi of the champions league and final of the league cup. all in all a damn good season.

the ground was expanded to 55000 capacity and i brought in babel, matias fernandez, vidal, gouffran, emanuelson and djourou. things are looking up! all i need now is a great right back - recommendations? and a superstar striker next summer! ahhhhh i loooooooove leeds!

You're doing well, lol.

I just finished second in League 1 and earned promotion. Looking ahead to next season in the championship icon_cool.gif

A little update on my second season. Still in League 1, lying on top of the table after 24 games played.

Won: 15

Drawn: 8

Lost: 1

Goal difference: 57-18 (+39)

Pretty damn pleased with this, though I could have a few more wins. Been a bit too daredevilish in a few games, going all out from the start against opponents I should be a little careful with. But oh well, still on top. =)

Oremo is still my top goalscorer, with 29 goals in 31(3) matches played. Loving him.

I was sent out of the League Cup by Bolton, and from the FA Cup by Wolves. Still going strong in Johnstone's Paint though, which I expect to win. Eyeing out a few potential transfers before next season. I better be in the Championship then, so I can get them! I'll keep you posted on what happens.

And Englishmilo: Great job! It's not easy to get to that stage in 4 seasons. =)

Originally posted by DannyC1888:

I'm needing a bit of help. I've been promoted to the Premiership and I'm in need of a solid DC. I'd rather he be in his mid 20's or at a young age for a good price.

2008, pre season, 802 patch. A few million at most.

Cheers. icon14.gif

Been promoted to the CHAMPIONSHIP, sorry for the error in the previous post.

Cristian Sarghi (DRC)

Doran Andronic (DC)

Breno (DC)

Godwin Antwi (DC)

Luca Franchini (D RLC)

5 good ones who will be able to hold their own in the Championship. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, another little update from me. Managed to get a hold of Gabriel Torje in the January transfer window! WOOHOO!

Hey guys, just started as Leeds and was wondering on what areas of the squad to strengthen? Been given £1.2m to spend and havent signed or sold anyone yet.

Just about to sign Kieran McKenna from Spurs. Good signing? And where to play him? Any suggestions welcome boys icon14.gif

Originally posted by shikky:

Piatti is close to impossible to get in the 802 patch though. As is Stancu. You're better off just using Howson in your first season and try getting Piatti if you get promoted to the Championship.

I am playing my first save with Leeds on 8.0.2 and I got Piatti as my first signing for <200k.

I also got a Striker named Arce who is really good, and got a bargain deal on central defender Mardare. I signed a really good keeper named Tatarusanu and a striker/offensice mid named Tibor Tisza who is also great.

I have so far only been managing a Swedish team, but so far it seems like an interesting challenge. I am 8 games into the first season and have 5 wins and 3 draws. I told the board I would aim to win the league, which might still be hard to do.

I get much more injuries with my Leeds side than I ever did in Sweden, using the same training. The injuries seem to happen in games, and not in training.

Good thread everyone.

Hmmm. Season 4. Promotion to the Prem by season 3. 6 games left in the Prem and second to Arsenal by 3 points, but they have a better goal difference. Got to the semis of the League Cup, and the final of the FA Cup to come, having won it last season. Semi-final of the CL. All in all not a bad season, not a dreadful season, and one which I suspect many Leeds fans would be quite happy with.

And now a takeover of the club by a local businessmen is going to see me replaced by David Moyes according to the press. Well if that happens I am going to join one of the big clubs and show the new board just what a big mistake they made. Ungrateful wretches.

I am now on my third save with Leeds on the 8.0.2 patch. Man, this is a tough challenge.

My conclusions so far:

Normally, I like to exchange my entire squad, and get a lot of new names in. In the 8.0.2 Leeds lineup, I like to keep Huntington and Michalik as central defenders. I always try and get Piatti and Mihelic at the start of the game as attacking mids.

I always get Nangomashe as the defensive mid workhorse. I get him for a cheap fee but have to pay him tons in wages.

A really good striker you can sometimes sign for cheap is Adrian Hora. Not Stancu quality, but a fraction of his price. Tough positions to fill are all on the sides. Left and right back, and left and right midfield.

A really good right back signing has been Mikael Lustig. Good left backs for Leeds seem impossible to find, and the team really lacks one at startup.

Left midfielders with potential are Grendel and Cristea. Birkir Bjarnason is also good, and he can also play a natural right mid.

Keepers are tough too. There are tons of good keepers who are willing to come, but they never get work permits. (fav: Alamo). In one game I got a permit for a great foreign keeper, but never count on it.

So, in conclusion, here is a young Leeds squad that will win most games first season in 8.0.2 (and my 1-10 grades):

gk: Kamenar (5) - need other options

dl: Bacinovic (4) - defo need options

dc: Huntington (8)

dc: Michalik (8)

dr: Lustig (7)

dmc: Nengomashe (9)

ml: Grendel (5) - need options

mr: Bjarnason (6) - need options

amc: Mihelic (8)

amc: Piatti (10)

fc: Hora (8)

Good backups:

gk: Jourdren

dc: Mardare

ml: Cristea

amc: Zeman

Comments anyone?

Hey guys, just started on my Leeds game and have lost my first 3 league games which included a home defeat by 10-man Walsall! I was just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong? Here is my squad, signings in capitals:

Ankergren/CZAPLINSKI/Martin

KENTON, Richardson, Hughes, SMITH, Parker, Heath, Huntington, Marques

GOLBOURNE (loan), Prutton, Douglas, VIDARSSON (loan), Carole, TORJE, Da Costa, Thompson, Howson

STANCU, Beckford, Constantine, Flo, Kandol

Looking at this squad, what should be the first choice XI or should I get more players and offload others? Thanks in advance icon14.gif

I have just started my fourth season, and its my second season in the premiership and first two games i beat tottenham at home 3-2 and then drew to manchester united away 1-1. Fantastic u neva know got a feeling about this team i have put together this season.

GK: Isaksson, Camp

DR: Eduardo Ratinho, Ifil

DL: Ledley, Juelsgard

DC: Walton, Thicot, Distin

MC: Gelson Fernandes, Michael Johnson, David Jones (this is new van der vaart everyone has to buy him), James Wesolowski

AMR: Barnes, Torje

AML: Ashley Young, Kranjcar

FC: Doudin, Lulinha, Howson

I am putting in a bid for andy carroll from newcastle and have had a loan offer accepted for nicklas bendtner. I need to choose one striker between the two.

Let me know if you have any thoughts to improve my team?? I have 10million to spend.

First season trouble:

I was in 2nd place in League one after about 20 games, after an amazing streak of some 14 wins, 5 draws and one defeat. If it hadn't been for the -15, I would have been 6-8 points ahead of 2nd place.

Then I lost two games in a row, one against easy opposition and then against some top team in the league. The mood of my team dropped heavily and they started losing and drawing and I am now in 8th place, without signs of improvement.

One explanation is that a key player, Mihelic, got injured for a month. Also, Stancu, who is my lone striker, started to underperform.

Lessons learned:

1. Take every game seriously (team talks, opposition instructions et cetera)

2. Do not start playing your second choices, unless you are already winning, or when you are very heavy favorites to win.

3. Morale is a key component in the game. Make sure you notice the mood of your players, and be very careful about using "I expect a win".

indy b-as ur looking at strikers u definatly need to improve there howson and lulinha are amc's i'm sure u know this however i have just trained howsen to am/fc so he is my back-up 4th striker his stats are really good in my game. ive just bought braind for 10.25mil over 12months so u could afford him if he hasnt moved. get bednter tho he's class and you could probably do with another cb try loan nordtviet or have a look at habib ballaid.

gandycoleuk with stancu u shud rip it up, play golburne at lb midfield dacosta howson prutton torje should destroy teams.

hope that helps

and to anyone starting a new game i think ive siad this before play howson in amc and dacosta on the left. and if u can bring in stancu and piatti ive just bought him for 5mil in season 4 hes looking like a beast on the left. 2nd season if u get to the championship get luiz jimenz(sp)

my team for season 4 playin 8.0.1db with 8.0.2 update

ochoa

bevers(regen) bikey bellaid hoyte

piatti j.m.torres d.zola jimenz

briand stancu

hopin to break the top 4 what do u guys think

At the end of season 4 I picked up some silverware, the FA Cup and the Champs League no less icon_biggrin.gif. Had one of my best games ever in the semi, away to Arsenal, 3 - 0 down after 30 minutes (Adebayor is probably the best striker in the game IMO) and went 3 up front, all out attack, and got it back to 3 -3 before losing to a last minuite goal. Then won 4 - 0 at home. Man U in the final, and won on penalties having played with 11 men behind the ball for the entire match and being battered!

The buy out of the club went through, the new owner Les Hammond was going to sack me but after the CL win has said he'll let me stay on. Nice of him, though I have to win the Prem in season 5 and Arsenal won it at a canter last season and have just stuffed me 4 - 0 in the Charity Shield. £30m transfer budget which doesn't get very much in this game, but Chelsea have just bought Sturridge off me for £22m and I have splashed the cash on Aguero who had a £33m buy out cluse, and Luci - a world class defensive midfielder from Lazio who are in financial difficulties.

Team is

GK Carson / Jourdren

RB Alves / Kronkamp

LB Chiellini

CB Woodgate / Ben Haim / Abraham / Santacroce

MF Lulinha / Johnson / Aaritilo / Luci / Hargreaves

CF Stancu / Pazzini / Aguero / Soldado

I need money. What I still can't do is sell half of my team, no one seems interested in the reserves, or have commercial links with another club that would increase revenue. Every feeder club suggestion I get is just for player swaps. Anyone any hints?

Macsoz - going back to your post way up this page, I would sign Woodie. At 30 he has 3 good seasons left I reckon, is now an everpresent in my squad, didn;t miss a game and made the Team of the Year. Consistently referred to as my key man, and in Europe he is not only English but classed as homegrown.

I just started a new save on 8.0.2 last night and got off to a great start with 3 straight wins, including 3-0 against N Forest. Can't wait to get home and see where it "Leeds".

I play two central offensive mids, and managed to get both Mihelic and Piatti. Also got two keepers of top class in Kotenko and Tatarusanu.

Defensive mid Nengomashe required tons in wages, but was well worth it, securing the lower midfield. He has fantastic passing skills too.

Central defense is excellent with Huntington and Michalik with third option Bärengrub, who might even be the best of the three.

Still a bit weak on the wings and left and right back, but I seem to be doing alright still.

I play a lone striker and use Juan Carlos Arce as first choice. I would have wanted Stancu, but Arce cost nearly half the price.

I aim to beat the -15 disadvantage and win the series in the first season. Has any of you guys done that yet? On 8.0.2? Who was in your squad then?

i tried to sign woodgate but 'boro wanted 9mil for him an i wasnt goin to stump up tht for him as i allready had bovo and bikey on a free and brought in bellaid for 4mil. so hopefull those 3 will get me re****s and a striker was my first priority.

buckoh surely u can get alot of players for 30mil but i supose ur teams at the stage where i like to add supserstars to it. to me looks like u need wingers. maybe try ribery for around 10-20mil. or a better cb to go with woodgate as u look sorted upfront and with chiellini and alves uve got the two best fullbacks in the game good work. how did u afford all them.

on the feeder clubs thing ask for one in the board room bit an u shud get given an option on ur news page. u usually get offerd options after about 18months

Macsoz - I paid £10m and he's been worth every penny, bless the lad, ne never wanted to leave really.

I don't play with wingers any more, I've got Rafaelov and Piatti (on loan for a year from Barcelona) but can't get a 4 - 4 - 2 to work. I play 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 with Johnson in the middle then 2 of the others, normally Lulinha who I really rate.

And I can't get a feeder club who want a financing arrangement. I've got a feeder club for players, some team in Belgium, but earlier in this thread someone was talking about a financial arrangement that raked in the dosh. They said they clicked an option regarding the type of feeder club being put forward but I can't find one.

Cheers

Macsoz - Chiellini and Alves were at Lazio - who are broke - they offered me Chiellini and Alves was one of their higher earners who Tottenham came in for with a low bid, that got accepted, so I matched the bid and offered him silly money. I've seen elsewhere that he normally sells for £29m or so, but that was probably what Lazio bought him for. My £30m plus the Sturridge money from Chelsea has all gone on those 3, plus Luci who is excellent, which is why I need cash!

Well promotions are like buses, you wait ages then 2 come along in quick succession. After taking 3 seasons to escape the hell of League 1, I have got promotion from the Championship at my 1st attempt. Now setting about squad strengthening to keep me in the promised land.

Here are a few screenshots from my promoton season which included a 23 game unbeaten run in the league.

201011cocacolachampionsgo0.th.png

leedsunitedleedsplayerspp6.th.png

there is definatly an option for what type of feeder club u can ask for i have two i think they are merchandisng links -have u scouted china usa japan etc as thats where they come from if that makes sense. next time i ask for one ill take screen shot if u still havnt achieved it yet. i'm only making an extra 100k a month with them which deosnt cover the costs of having them.

i play and adapted 4-4-2 with my wide players with arrows into amc ive posted a screenie somewhere in the forum. i had to choose between piatti and lulinha whent for piatti as lulinha has a low pa on my game and piatti is faster and has better mental stats.

ur team looks alot better than mine and should be more than cable of finishing in the top 4 again.

robie well done on goin up looks like ur squad is needing alot of work tho. out of ur squad out of the players that i know about id keep howson king and bennett. if i was you id look to loan alot

raid arsenal-nordtviet, denilson, hoyte also have a look at balotelli, samaras

and ull def need a keeper id make that ur number one buy and spend big if you have to.-ochoa(i got him for 12mil my best buy yet and that includes stancu for 1.3mil), lloris, labont, enyeama, issakson , carson to name but a few.

Cheers macsoz - not scouted them at all so will give it a go. Out of interest who is your assistant manager? I've still got Poyet as I stated pre-patch but thinking of a change. I read somewhere that Desailly is good, he's at Boro at the moment as a coach. I also have Pato - bought last season for £22m who was listed as the worst buy of the season in the summary! He's in the reserves for a month!

some american guy called john doyle i think. desailly is good i had him at southampton. i only use my ass man for player reports and scouting. how have u spent so much money i wish i had as much cash as u.

my budgets

1.7mil, 3mil, 27mil, 18mil,

hopefully ill get more once the staduim expansion is completed. and i'm also buying players over 12months so i can spend a bit more.

robie well done on goin up looks like ur squad is needing alot of work tho. out of ur squad out of the players that i know about id keep howson king and bennett. if i was you id look to loan alot

raid arsenal-nordtviet, denilson, hoyte also have a look at balotelli, samaras

and ull def need a keeper id make that ur number one buy and spend big if you have to.-ochoa(i got him for 12mil my best buy yet and that includes stancu for 1.3mil), lloris, labont, enyeama, issakson , carson to name but a few.

Thanks for the tips Macsoz, I've been worried about my defence all season and I konw it needs lookingat. Trouble s no one wants to join Leeds at moment but hope that will change whe Prem status confirmed. Also depends n the budget I get. Had a takeover and was given £7 mill to get out of Championship and only spent £3.5 mil so hopefully I'll get good funds.

Macsoz - I said I would challenge for the title last season and got a budget of £37m or so, came second so was OK with the Board. Sold a few fringe players, including Pennant who I signed on a free and sold for £4m, and underspent a lot on wages as players like Lulinha and Stancu were signed early on and are still on their original deals. The stadium was expanded, so gate receipts are up and this season I am £450K per week under my salary budget, though I need to sign up my better players on to new long term deals. The only nice thing Bates ever said to me was that they thought the club's success was due in part to my financial management. But you read on here threads about people having £100m to spend, I have no idea how they do it. Am going to try and get one of the US or Asian teams to give me lots of cash!

i'm having a nightmare tryin to sell fringe players i'm strugling to get more than 2mil for any of them and thts with the 24months option when selling. hopefully with my feeder clubs and staduim expation ill start roling in it. ive just been given an extra 5mil so my season budget has gone up to 23mil and i was left with 9mil so i bought denilson from arsenal for 4.7mil.

but i'm now having a nightmare with tactics now that ive updated to 8.0.2 my team can't keep clean sheets i thoughy i had rid myself of this problem and i'm only winning games due to the conner bug ive scored from a corner in everygame this season.

do any of u guys know a good tactic with 2 upfront that works on 8.0.2 i tried the 'kimiz' one which alot of people where raving about but i dnt like that as my current tactic seemed better.

i'm having a nightmare tryin to sell fringe players i'm strugling to get more than 2mil for any of them and thts with the 24months option when selling. hopefully with my feeder clubs and staduim expation ill start roling in it. ive just been given an extra 5mil so my season budget has gone up to 23mil and i was left with 9mil so i bought denilson from arsenal for 4.7mil.

but i'm now having a nightmare with tactics now that ive updated to 8.0.2 my team can't keep clean sheets i thoughy i had rid myself of this problem and i'm only winning games due to the conner bug ive scored from a corner in everygame this season.

do any of u guys know a good tactic with 2 upfront that works on 8.0.2 i tried the 'kimiz' one which alot of people where raving about but i dnt like that as my current tactic seemed better.

I'm very successful defensively using Chopper's tactics (on 8.0.2). Only one striker in that though. First season I have only one loss after some 23 games using that.

I must give credit to the strong central defense (Huntington/Michalik) and my keeper Duo Kotenko/Tatarusanu. Nengomashe as DMC also helps stop opponents that would score with long-shots.

Archived