The utter uselessness of wingers in 10.2

It appears that in the current match engine wingers are largely useless because crossing is apparently a rare occurrence. They are only useful either passing from very deep (through balls) or running at goal and shooting.

Will this be changed as it's becoming increasingly obvious that "narrow" formations are unrealistically successful?

4-4-2 vs. 4-2-3-1 narrow almost always results in a loss regardless of tactics. The centre defenders appear overloaded by the attacking midfielders and goals are easily conceded even with holding midfielders. This doesn't come up that much in the Premier League where wingers are still ubiquitous but it's fairly obvious when you play in Serie A what an unrealistic advantage playing very narrow is.

This along with the super-keeper issue is really spoiling my enjoyment of the game because it's a very poor representation of the sport.

Try playing in La Liga. I won the league in the first season with my Valencia team, with a formation that very much took advantage of the excellent wide players I had at my disposal - Juan Mata and Pablo Hernandez. While most of my goals did come from the creative genious of David Silva, the combined 30 assists from my two wingers showed that we also scored a fair share from crosses into the box, especially with Zigic up front.

i play a 4-2-3-1 with wingers with liverpool and i have ribery on the left and afellay on the right and they are brilliant. Ribery doesn't cross the ball heaps he generally cuts inside but afellay crosses the ball really well and has managed a lot of assists doing it. I'm often looking to play the ball down the flanks and i've had heaps of success.

Wingers do not seem to have the desired effect. Had partial success with them. These days i tend to start narrow in a 4-1-3 -2 formation (diamond) . I change to wider attacking mids, or set them as wingers when i am chasing a game or winning and seeking an outlet that takes pressure off my defense.

It should be noted that i am managing Stafford in the BSN, so i ain't no mourinho :D

I completely disagree.

I play a 442, with my wide midfielders set as wingers.

One winger has an assist for every other game (50%), the other averages just a bit below that AND just had four assists in one game. The winger who also performs a bit better than the other one is also the 8th top scorer in the league at the moment (and it's March).

I keep hearing people crying about wingers, but my wingers and the way I use them seem to rip my opposition apart.

I completely disagree.

One winger has an assist for every other game (50%), the other averages just a bit below that AND just had four assists in one game. The winger who also performs a bit better than the other one is also the 8th top scorer in the league at the moment (and it's March).

I keep hearing people crying about wingers, but my wingers and the way I use them seem to rip my opposition apart.

I'm not doubting you at all, but where do the assists come from primarily? Crossing, passing, etc?

For me in some saves, wingers are just not useful at all because they tend to run with the ball when they shouldn't, and refuse to when they should, and crossing tends to just go out for corners(which I've always been terrible at). I have found some very good success with wingers playing with Standard Liege, but they also score roughly as much as they assist if not more, and I have them set to move into channels. This is in a 4-3-3 flanking Milevskyi however, and I have a really great midfield, so who knows if I'm just lucky? :p

Generally my problems seem to be in formations with deeper wingers (such as a 4-4-2), they're not involved nearly as much and they're not as effective.

I completely disagree.

Wee Lad pretty much echoes my findings. I'd be pretty screwed without wingers if I'm honest.

I absolutely disagree too. See what instructions they are on.... and you will be amazed to see that it was your wrong tactics.

Ah, but that is micro-management and some people don't want to do that ;)

I tend to find if I've got a quick winger with pace, crossing, dribbling and flair, set to hug touchline, run often and cross from byline, he will consistently beat his fullback and get crosses in.

I don't think it even takes that. I think you can tell just by looking at the platesr stats alone whether he will cross or look to provide the killer pass.

Archived