The Pride of Brazil - Internacional story

davidmcain

16 July 2007

Internacional 1-1 A Paranaense

Copa de Brasil Quarterfinal Leg 2

After a 3-1 win in the first leg we were happy to again play a defensive game. Fernandao scored early to seal the deal for us although we did concede a late consolation goal. We picked up another 35,000 pounds for our efforts, and the boys were happily through to the semis.

We also signed 19yo right back Amaral from Palmeiras. He was our first signing and with 8 U21 caps for Brazil, looked a bargain at 1.1 million pounds.

Our Left winger Alex was rewarded for his phenomenal for with a call up for the Confederations Cup. It seemed I had put International on the map.

20 June 2007

Cruz Azul - Internacional

Copa Libertadores Final Leg 1

(Renan - Ceara, Cardoso, Edinho, Edigle - Xavier, Chiquinho, Mossoro, Gabiru - Iarley, Fernandao)

43662 fans packed into the Azteca today to witness a enthralling final. A Cruz Azul side starring Conejo Perez, Cesar Villaluz, Edgar Andrade, Gerardo Torrado, and Argentinian Steiker Ceasr Delgado would prove a stern test for a makeshift Inter side hounded by injuries, suspension, and International duty.

As it eventuated it was over inside 10 minutes. Big game players Gabiru and Fernandao, our only two capped players combined to open the scoring after 90 seconds and on the 9 minute mark Edgar Andrade was sent off. However from the on the back of the net became a foreign country to us. First Iarley hit the post, then Mossoro had a goal disallowed, and Conejo Perez kept out anything else that looke like trouble.

The second half saw more of the same, Iarley hitting the post again. Castillo was marched off in the 63rd minute but Perez proved to be a brick wall. Final score 1-nil.

For his hardwork Conejo Perez looke a shoo-in for man of the match, having made 17 saves. However, that honour went to our keeper Renan for keeping out one shot from distance and nothing else.

23 June 2007

Cruziero 0-2 Internacional

First Division

It took 80 minutes to crack a resiliant Cruziero side in this one. The introduction of Marcio Mossoro in the 75th minute proved decisive. He came on to score the opener and put the second on a platter for fullback Ceara. The match was marred by two late red's, one for our own Elder Granja, and the other for Cruziero's Gladstone.

Alex made his Brazil debut today in Brazils 2-0 loss to the United States.

27 June 2007

Internacional - Cruz Azul

First Division

(Renan, Granja, Chiquinho, Edinho, Edigle - Michel, Alex, Gabiru, Mossoro - Fernandao, Rentaria)

After a 1-nil win in the first leg, we knew it would take a two goal loss to give up the trophy. The brilliant Conejo Perez made a terrible blunder early on, miscuing his kick and finding Rentaria who lofted home. Cruz Azul than applied huge pressure, first Castillo rattled the bar, then Delgado hit the bar and the post in the space of 2 minutes. However, the defense held strong and we soon grabbed a second on the counter, Rentaria turning provider, with a lovely ball for Michel to poke home. When Alex was tripped on halftime, Adriano Gabiru stepped up to slam home a penalty. 3-0 now, 4-0 on aggregate.

The second half was equally impressive, firstly, Alex flighted home a free kick, then he set up Mossoro who scored the goal of the game with a marvellous diving header. A furious Gerardo Torrado kicked out and got an early shower for his troubles, who could blame him, this was a hiding. Final score 5-0 (6-0 agg)

Elder Granja was voted man of the match but the club was the real winner pocketing a cool 800k for the victory, and a place in the Club World Champs.

Player of the tournament was Fernandao who averaged 7.93 through the competition, although he didnt take the Golden Boot. That honour went to Cesar Delgado of Cruz Azul, who bagged 11, Fernandao our best with 9. Michel led the assists chart with 8.

30 June 2007

Internacional 3-1 Figuerense

First Division

An easy win here. Fernandao grabbed a double plus the MoM award, the other goal was an own goal. However, First Division success was not a priority at this stage, with the Brazilian Cup Semi's looming.

4 July 2007

Internacional 0-0 Brasiliense

Brazilian Cup Semis

This was an anti climax if ever I saw one. I expected a walkover here, with rasiliense being from the division below us. However despite having 11 shots to their 0 we couldnt crack their kepper, Donizeti, a deserved MoM winner. 18000 were in attendance

7 July 2007

Fortaleza 1-2 Internacional

First Division

This was a lot easier than the score suggested. An early Own Goal and another to Michel, both of which were set up by the rising star, Marcio Mossoro, put the result in safe hands. There were late worries as Fortaleza grabbed a late consolation, but it was too little too late, as our fine form continued.

Crucially, we also tied down yound starlet Alexandre Pato to a longterm deal beforwe shipping him off to Nautico for the balance of the year.

An offer also came in for our newly capped winger Alex. Besiktas were the bidders offering 4.3m for the 2.6m rated player. However, we have no need to sell our stars, so we set the asking price to a hefty 8m pounds.

11 July 2007

Brasiliense - Internacional

Brazilian Cup Semifinals

After the 0-0 draw in the home leg this match had to be taken seriously, the minnows had a bit of talent it seemed, and we were having to fight to claim the third leg of a historic treble.

Our job was simplified when a reckless challeng from Brasiliense DM Esquerdinha bought him a 17th minute red card. They still fought on gallantly but finally cracked in the 40th minute when Fabinho played through Iarley who made it 1-0.

However, Brasiliense werent prepared to just bendover and take it, and it wasnt until the last 10 minutes that this game was made safe, goals from man of the match Fernandao, and a rare goal from Edinho securing the result. We recieved a miserly 45k for our efforts here and awaited the final, against Goias.

14 July 2007

Goias - Internacional

Copa de Brasil final leg 1

(Renan, Granja, Ceara, Edigle, Edinho - Michel, Diogo, Fabinho, Mossoro - Fernandao, Iarley)

This was a big match for us. I had big aspirations for this club when I took over, and to recruit the kind of players I want, we must dominate on all fronts domestically.

So far, so good, and after 15 minutes of football it looked set to continue. Firstly a masterly thru ball from the injury plagued Fabinho found Iarley who did what he's been doing all year; scoring golas. Then, Leonardo saw Red for Goias. However, the walkover I now expected didnt eventuate and it was 1 nil at halftime.

Things when from fine to poor in the second half. First, Goias won their only corner of the game and a delightful delivery from Raul was nodded home by the Argentine Seba Dominguez, then a Michel goal was ruled out. Imagine my relief when we were awarded a 90th minute penalty then. However all that glitters is not gold, and Marcio Mossoro's penalty was kept out by Harlei. Final Score : 1-1

16 July 2007

Tow good pieces of business today. Firstly we completed the sale of B team DM Alvaro to Mexicans Morelia for a tidy 1.3m pounds

Also, the club were delighted to announce the sining of Colombian DM Freddy Guarin for a mere 700,000 pounds. The youngster already has 6 Colombian caps to his name and comes highly regarded having played for both Boca Juniors, and St Etienne. The young starlet looks set to be Fabinho's deputy and soon to be successor provided he lives up to his undoubted potential. He will join on the 1st of August.

18 - 25 July 2007

With all attention focussed on the Brazilian Cup, Leomir was left in charge for a weeks worth of First Division games, the results were impressive, If I were ever to leave, the club had a ready made successor.

Results

Internacional 4-1 Goias Michel(3), Iarley gls.

Internacional 5-0 Vasco Edigle, Rentaria, Iarley, Edinho, O.G.

Internacional 3-1 Botafogo Diego(2) Fernandao.

So 3 from 3 with an impressive 12 goals. We averaged around 18000 for these games. Crowd size is my only concern at the moment. We need more supporters to the games. More ticket sales = More money, and better players.

28 July 2007

Internacional - Goias

Copa de brasil final Leg 2

(Renan - Granja, Chiquinho, Edigle, Edinho - Michel, Alex, Fabinho, Mossoro - Fernandao, Iarley)

We had a full house for this one and I hoped they would be impressed. My plan was to strike early and strike often. They werent to be dissapointed early on. First Michel found Rentaria in space after 7 minutes and the recently capped Colombian finished expertly. Then on 16 minutes Marcio Mossro fired home a free kick from 25 yards. The victory was sealed on 19 minutes when Welliton kicked Fabinho and was shown a red card. I dont know why these Brazilians continue to play a violent game but match after match im playing with extra men. Smooth interplay between Granja and Fernandao released Wason Rentaria who grabbed his 2nd in the 38th minute.

The second half had a bit less action, possibly down to the air of inevitability about the result.Fernandao grabbed our 4th and final goal in the 54th minute courtesy of yet another Alex cross, and in the 81st minute Fabio Baha got Goias' 2nd Red Card of the day.

The 5-1 aggregate sparked delirious celebrations in the stands, with Cain and Man of the match Alex seen hoisted on the shoulders of their admiring fans. They may have doubted the New Zealander on his arrival, but they certainly weren't now as he kissed another novelty cheque, this one to the tune of 200,000 pounds.

Copa Brasil Top Players

Goals - Schwenck (Goias) 9, Fernandao 8

Assists - Michel 4

Average Rating - Alex 8.83

Surprisingly Wason Rentaria, the man whoo today grabbed a double also appeared for Colombia in the Copa America final, scoring the only goal of the game in their 1-0 win over Peru. Seems he will be having a big night tonight!!!

1 August 2007

We announced profits of 1.66 million pounds for the month of July, a huge sum by Brazilian standards. Whilst this excited me, the fans were more excited at the arrival of Freddy Guarin, our new midfield Anchorman.

Flamengo 0-1 Internacional

We were embarrassed to win this one today. With just 2 shots to their 12 and 45% possession we deserved to get hammered. Perhaps the poor play was down to how hammered we were following our Brazilian Cup triumph? I certainly felt under the whether, and Iarley had to sit this one out, since he reeked of Vodka and cheap hookers. The only man who came to play was our keeper Renan, a devout Christian, who doesn’t drink. Thank god for that. The only goal of the game came from a rare counter attack which was nicely finished by new sensation Rentaria.

4th-19th August 2007

First Division Games

This set of games brought about some scratchy form, possibly our worst all year. whether it was down to fatigue or complacency I dont know. We did rest some key players to freshen them up for the Recopa vs America(MEX) on the 22nd.

Results

Palmeiras 1-2 Internacional Rentaria

Internacional 1-0 Gremio Fernandao

Paranaense 1-1 Internacional Fernandao

Internacional 3-1 Ponte Preta Diego, Mossoro, Rentaria

Sao Paulo 1-1 Internacional Diego

My trusty assistant Leomir de Souza was linked with the vacant post at Goias. To counter this we gave him a large 5 year contract, If they still want him, they'll have to pay big. We also established a link with famed hungarian side Ferencvaros, which will help us bring in some of Europe's finest youngsters.

22 August 2007

America(MEX) - Internacional

Copa Recopa Leg 1

This was a bonus competition for us. To be honest I didnt even know it existed until it appeared on my calender. I believe it to be the equivalent of the Euro Super Cup and a possibility of a 4th trophy.

(Renan, Granja, Chiquinho, Edinho, Indio - Alex, Michel, Fabinho, Mossoro - Fernandao, Rentaria)

The America side boasted stars such as Mexican legend Cuahtemoc Blanco, Fernando Ochoa, and Jhon Jairo Mosqueda.

It certainly was a dull first half in this one. No goals at all, we did look the better side, peppering Fernando Guillermo Ochoa with shot after shot but couldnt break through. A red card on halftime for defendert Nestor Mercado would help us after the break.

With the extra man we came out more attacking. 4 minutes into the 2nd spell Mossoro collected a loose ball and smashed home from 30 yards, before Alex released Rentaria who shimmied around two hapless defenders to double the lead. It wasnt until the 75th minute that we struck again, Rentaria again the benefactor, though this time it was in acrimonious circumstances, America incensed about an offside. Finally Alex again found Rentaria 5 minutes from the end for his hattrick, taking his tally to 26 for the year. There was also time for Mosqueda to be sent off, meaning we wont be seeing him in the return leg. Chiquinho won MoM honours today.

29 August 2007

Internacional 2-1 America(mex)

Copa Recopa

I didnt bother attending this game as it was already wrapped up. Any hopes America had wre put to rest within 20 minutes, with Mossoro and Fernandao both on target. America did manage a late goal through midfelder Gutierrez, who also won MoM today, but the 33770 fans got what they came for witnessing a 6-1 aggregate win and a 4th trophy in the cabinet. The 2 matches also yielded us a very cool 190k for our troubles. Now only the First Divion was left to be won.

1 September 2007

We wrapped up a succesful month with a surprising loss of 600k in August, although we had bought Guarin. The coffers were looking healthy, 6.7m in the bank. And the board had pledged some of this to upgrading our already great training facilities.

The transfer window also closed. Our deal for Freddy Guarin, and Palmeiras' move for the 1.3m Midfielder Rodrigo Mendes of Al Gharaffa proved the biggest of the year.

2nd - 12th September

First Division Recap

We had 4 games in 10 days and the boys played awful. A mere 5 points for our troubles, not the form of champions. What was worse was thet in three home games we failed to win.

Results

Botofogo 0-1 Internacional Mossoro

Internacional 0-0 Santos

Internacional 2-2 Flamengo Iarley(2)

Internacional 1-2 Corinthians Rentaria

We had around 20000 fans on average for these games, and they really deserved better than the rubbish we showed them. The biggest concern was my strikers inability to hit the target.

16th-30th September

First Division Recap

Corinthians 1-4 Internacional Fernandao, Iarley, Ceara, Gabiru

Internacional 4-1 Sao Caetano Iarley(3) Fernandao

Internacional 1-0 Parana Iarley

Juventude 1-4 Internacional Edinho(2) Alex, Granja

Goias 1-1 Internacional Alex

It was great too see my boys back in full flight. 14 goals in 5 games was more like the team I was used to seeing. The fans appreciated this too. Still, I was getting tired. What a long, long season I thought. However, This team was amazing, long season or not, I was here for the long haul, and wouldn't leave until Internacional are the world's greatest side. On another note, most impressive this year has been the die hard attitude of Edinho, my huge centre-back. Sure weve come across some pretty terrible attacks, but he's already racked up a phenomonal 68 appearances for us.

Weve also sent our promising young Striker Porcellis away for the rest of the year. Fluminense were all too happy to pick up his wages for the year, and some first team experiance could be all he needs to catapault him into the big time.

1 October 2007

Fans Rejoice as Cain Extends Stay

Inernacional fans were ecstatic today as their godlike manager, David Cain agreed to stay on for a further 3 years. His new deal will see him pick up a cool 3,900 pounds a week.

As part of the deal, Cain insisted on a top up of his transfer budget to 1.9m, an increase of 800k, and a wage budget of 140k a week. With the current bill standing at 100k a week, this would give him some serious clout in the market.

With the end of the Cup season, the money seems to have dried up. We recorded our first major loss in a while, 400k for the month of September, though we still have a very handy 6.4m in the bank.

October 3rd - October 31st 2007

First Division Review

Internacional 5-0 Fluminense Fernandao(2) Edinho, Diego, Michel

Internacional 1-0 Cruzeiro Alex

Internacional 0-1 Figuerense

Internacional 3-0 Juventude Fernandao, Xavier, Granja

Vasco 0-3 Internacional Fernandao(2), Alex

Internacional 1-0 Fortaleza Rentaria

Internacional 0-1 Palmeiras

October was a good month for the club, picking up 5 wins from our 7 matches. It wasn't as easy as the scorlines suggested though. The only goal in the Cruziero game, scored by Alex only came about after three Cruziero men wre sent off. We were also on the wrong end of a terrible penalty decision vs Figuerense which resulted in them scoring the games only goal.

The most positive things for us this month were the loss of form of our major rivals, meaning our reasonable form lead to an increased lead and also that we had finally caught up to the other tem in terms of games played. Our match against Vasco was thefirst time we had 7 days in between games sine early June. We were now an unassailable 15 points clear with just 7 games to play. It would require a miracle to stop us from here.

November 1st - November 7th 2007

We recorded a loss of 185k for October. It was expected though and im not too worried about it at the moment.

Gremio 0-3 Internacional

We really drove another nail in the coffin today with a convincing win over a Gremio side full of talent, but lacking form. A Wason Rentaria double and a 3rd from Alex did the job for us today, though we were helped immeasurablty by three red cards to the opposition. If I had a dollarfor every red the opposition have recieved this yera id be a wealthy man by now. Figuerense are now 2nd, 14 points adrift with 6 games to play.

Daniel Carvalho to Internacional!!

We made a big move today to really demonstrate our ambition to our rivals. Daniel Carvalho of CSKA Moscow will be joining us for a bargain 1.4 million pounds. The transfer will go through at the end of his current deal on August 1 2007. Bth fans and manager are said to be ecstatic about the return of the former Internacional star's return home. Since leaving he has been capped 4 times by Brazil, scoring once.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Daniel Carvalho to Internacional!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great signing. icon14.gif

KUTGW. icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Thanks mate, didnt think anyone was actually reading it, there a couple more useful signings returning to Brazil soon as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10th-30th November

Internacional lock up First Division Title

With the title all but wrapped up and in the trophy cabinet, I decided to leave Leomir de Souza in charge of our remaining fixtures whilst I focused all my energies on scouring for some fresh talentThe team didnt miss me at all, collecting 10 points from their four remaining fixtures this month and collecting a richly deserved title.

Fluminense 2-3 Internaciona Fernandao, Edinho, Michel

Internacional 3-0 Paranaense Fernandao, Mossoro, Alex

Ponte Preta 1-1 Internacional Diego

Internacional 3-1 Santa Cruz Rentaria(2) Granja

So again we looked good showing our consistency, which is paramount over a season this long. I've been impressed by the names on the scoresheet, we've always had a few names amongst the goals rather than relying on one or two individuals.

Despite our glory this month we were dissapointed to post losses of half a million pounds for November.

2 November 2007

Santos 0-0 Internacional

This was actually a pretty big game for Santos. The club which has spawned the likes of Elano, Diego, and Robinho, even the great Pele himself are currently languishing in 17th place needing 3 points from their last 2 games to guarentee safety.

I was impressed by their fighting spirit and they richly deserved the point they took from us today. If they play half as good next weekend they'll maul their opponents. We only registerde two shots on goal all game

9 December 2007

Internacional 5-0 Sao Paulo

We were delighted to obliterate our enemies Sao Paulo. Sure, the game meant nothing but it was great to end the domestic season on such a high, and it was no less than the fans deserved to see.Santos won to ensure safety, but mighty Corinthians could only draw meaning a Fortaleza victory victory over Fluminense would see the great side relegated. It wasn't to be though, the match ending in a scoreless draw.

Our goals were notched by Michel(2) Fernandao, Alex and Elder Granja

First Division Season Review

Awards night proved t be a big one for the lads. First of all we recieved the Champions cheque for half a million pounds, ensuring nobody would be going home thirsty tonight.

The big award for the night was the Brazilian Player of the year award. I could probably have nominated half a dozen of the lads but Alex was the one who walked away with it. Fair reward for a lad who celebrated his Brazilian debut year and competed for the Confedartions Cup and Copa America. Diehard Centre back Edinho was a worthy runner-up ahead of Fluminense's young fullback Marcelo.

A few of the lads were selected in the team of the year. The lucky ones being the veteran CB Indio, Edinho, right back Elder Granja, Alex, Striker-cum-winger Michel, and the golden boot winner Fernandao. Surprisingly 15 strikes over 46 games was all it took to collect this accolade. I was chuffed to collect the manager of the year award, though I quite rightly gave the credit to the lads and my coaching staff, who have made the job both easy and enjoyable. The other award ghanded out was hat of Young Player of the Year. We didnt supply any of the finalists. Marcelo took it out ahead of Cruziero's Kerlon, and Gremio's Lucas.

Internacional - 85pts (+55)

Cruziero - 66pts (+21)

Gremio - 64pts (+12)

Figuerense - 63pts (+5)

Flamengo - 59pts (+11)

December 13th 2006

Club World Championships Semifinals

Okoyama FC 0-4 Internacional

We had a feeling if we could pinch an early goal or two here we wuold have every chance of making the final. With the tournament being held in Tokyo, Okoyama FC would at least have home support, while our lads were still a touch jetlagged.

We got a dream start with some nice lead-up work from Adriano Gabiru and Alex leading to a cross being flicked on from Michel to a seemingly offside Wason Rentaria who was all too happy to convert the chance. Rentaria was again the benefactor in the 11th minute, latching on a a rare raking long ball which caught the defense flatfooted. Rentaria, rounded the keeper and this one was as good as over. A couple of Michel headers, both from set pieces ensured we went into the break 4nil up and with the game safe the boys played a simple game in the second half knocking it round to avoid injury.

In the days other Semifinal hot favourites Barcelona crushed Raja Casablanca of Morocco 5-nil, to set up a dream encounter for the lads. Many would be pklaying against boyhood idols such as Ronaldinho, in arguably the biggest game of the lives.

15 December 2006

The playoffs for the minor placings were contested with America(MEX) beating Auckland City of my home country New Zealand 9-0, and Okoyama getting up 2-1 over Raja Casablanca to take 3rd place

16th December 2006

Club World Championships Final

Internacional vs Barcelona

For many of the lads this would be the highlight of their career, a game they would cherish, and a golden chance to earn a potentially money-spinning move to an elite european league.

The atmosphere at the Tokyo Dome was electric, 72349 fans crammed into the stadium, the blinding glare of shuttering cameras, this was a game they dared not dream about. Unfortunately, our lineup was somewhat depleted for this one. Talismanic captain Fernandao was missing, as was International winger Alex, cool midfield schemer Marcio Mossoro and livewire striker Diego. On the plus side Lilian Thuram and Deco were missing for the Catalan outfit. However, such was the quality of their lineup, Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi would both start this encounter from the bench.

Lineups

Internacional

Renan - Granja, Chiquinho, Indio, Edinho - Michel, Diogo, Fabinho, Gabiru - Iarley, Rentaria

Barcelona

Valdes - Oleguer, Zambrotta, Belleti, Puyol - Marquez - Motta, Xavi - Gudjonsson, Ronaldinho - Eto'o

The game would not provide the fireworks all expected immediately, the two sides feeling each other out initially, we were an unknown quantity for them , whilst the represented the pinacle of footballing greatness. So it was to my surprise, and delight when after 17 minutes that a cross field ball from Michel somehow found an unmarked Diogo on the far post who would slam home first time. Diogo was only in for Alex in this one and this as his first goal of the long season, surely his biggest though. What a thrill to score against his idol, Ronaldinho.

The boys held firm until Thiago Motta go the better of Elder Granja down the right and launched a powerful swerving shot goalwards. Renan somehow got fingers to it, palming it away, but only to Ronaldinho who coolly slotted home the equaliser. Rentaria had a glorious chance on halftime but fluffed his one-on-one oppurtunity, meaning a 1-1 draw at halftime, Barcelona probably the better side so far.

After the break Bracelona stepped it up a notch and I was shocked that we kept them out. At the 70 minute mark we still were alive at 1-all, although Messi and Iniesta were introduced for Gudjonsson and Motta. A rare foray forward in the 75th minute saw centre back Indio come desperately close, shaking the woodwork. Young mexican Jorge Hernandez was introduced for Xavi, meaning we could play a bit freer. Then something amazing happened. With five minutes left, Michel beat Zambrotta and found a wide open Diogo on the left hand edge of the box. Diogo coolly found Rentaria, who samshed home from 8 yards. Despite Barcelona converting to a 2-3-5 formation, it wasn't enough we managed to hold on for a famous 2-1 victory. Michel deservedly won the man of the match, after playing a part in both our goals.

We won 1.6 million pounds for our efforts here, and gladly accepted the upcoming two week break.

Top Scorer for the year was Iarley with 44,

Most Assists went to Alex with 36,

the highest rating player was Michel, averaging 7.85 a game.

We recorded an average attendance of 21187 a match

From our 86 games we won 66, drew 15 and lost just 5.

We scored 243 goals and conceded 42.

1 January 2007

Awards Night.... And the new season starts here

A smattering of stars showed up to Braziian football's gala event. A number of my over achieving first team showed up in their finest gears, in hope of a trophy to take home.

The first trophy up for grabs was that of South American Player of the year, and it was to the surprise that Ze Roberto took this one out, ahead of our two finalists Fernandao, and Alex. The ex-Brazilian International winger had fared well this year, but his side, Santos had gon trophyless, narrowly avoiding relegation. However his class had at times illuminated the First Division since his return from German powerhouses, Bayern Munich.

I graciously accepted the next award, one which I felt was richly deserved, and jutifiably, dedicated to the team. The award was the SA Manager of the Year, and I had beaten out experianced campaigners Muricy Ramalho of Sao Paulo and Tite of Palmeiras to claim the hounour.

The foreign legion dominated the voting for Brazilian Olympic Comittee footballer of the year, with Adriano, taking home the silverware aheadof Ronaldinho, and Mancini.

I was delighted to se Edinho, Fernandao, Wason Rentaria, and Michel named in the Team of the Year, and I hoped their fine form would continue into the future.

On another note it wasn't just the first team who had experianced success this year. The reserves took out their league with a record of 24w-0d-6l scoring 115 goals and conceding 22. And the youth side was even more impressive, with a record of 26w-3d-1 loss scoring 113 and conceding a miserly 12 goals.

There were also countless other going-ons at the club in the off-season. There was the Supporters Award which captain Fernandao gladly acceted, the the influx of a new crop of youngsters, the jewel in the crown lokking like being 14 year old Striker Glaucio, hailed as one of the best in years. The training facilities also benefitted from our success last year being improved to state-of-the-art class. There were none finer on this continent.

We also secured a huge sponsorship deal, doubling our previous deal, going from 1.3m to 2.6m, and the 4m TV rights for this year would surely swell our already impressive bank account.

Looking ahead for this season with our balance sitting at 10.2m the board allocated me 1.2m for transfers plus whatever I could bring in from sales. All eyes would be on us this year, no longer an unknown quantity, we were hot favourites with the media for the title.

2nd-15th January 2007

The Transfer Window is Open

There were countless departures this summer. Firstly I picked through the academy graduates and decided, albeit with heavy heart, than five youngsters would have to further their careers elsewhere. Elsewhere veteran keeper decided to hang up his bots to continue in purely a coaching capacity.

On top of that a futher 12 players were sold in the hope of using the proceeds to sign a couple of big names. The moves were - Pinga(Atlas)2m, Leo(Santos)2m, Ceara(Cruziero)2.2m, Maraba(Monterray)975k, Rodrigo Paulista(Corinthians) 950k, Gustavo Gaucho(Necaxa)500k, Cidimar(Fluminense)220k, Ismael(Botafogo)20k, whilst Bruno, Rubens Cardoso, Raul, and Fabinho jr. all left for free.

Incoming signings were harder to come by. A 6.5m attempt to sign Vagner Love was refused, as was a 4.5m move for young star Celsinho, who instead chose to join Sao Paulo. A 6m move for Fenerbache defender Edu Dracena was also turned down, after an undisclosed fee had been agreed.

However, on the 15th the club had a couple of big announcements to make. Firstly, the club had formed a link with Colombians Envigado, the club which recently spawned our young midfielder Freddy Guarin, and Lazio Goalkeeper Libis Andres Arenas.

It would be the second piece of information that would excite the club's fans though. Young Colombian midfielder Sherman Cardenas, affectionately known as the "Sherminator" had joined from Bucurumanga for 1.3m. The 18yo Attaking midfielder already had 8 caps to his name and two international goals to boot. He would swell the Colombian contingent to three, joining Rentaria, and Guarin.

The othere signing was that of Centre-Back Leonardo, who was returning to Brazil from Ukranian giants Shakhtar Donetsk. He comes highly regarded, having played 34 times for the U21 national side, scoring three times. It is though he will initially provide back up for centreback pairing Edinho and Indio, but Cain is said to have concerns over Indio's aging legs, meaning we should see Leonardo sooner rather than later.

To date the major move has been that of Nilmar, moving from Corinthians to Benfica for the handsome fee of 9.5m pounds

16th January - 31st January

Gaucho State Champs

After winning this cup last year I expected the same sort of performance this year. We flagged pre-season knowing these matches in the "Mickey Mouse Cup" shoul be enough. We got off to a flier, comfortably winning the four january matches, all by huge margins

Internacional 7-0 Gloria Luiz Adriano(2) Adriano Gabiru(2) Indio, Porcellis, Diego

Internacional 5-1 Guarani(RS) Iarley(3) Alex, Adriano Gabiru

Santa Cruz 0-7 Internacional Maycon (2) Fabinho(2) Fernandao, Diego, Rentaria

Palmeriense 0-13 Internacional Luiz Adriano(5) Rentaria(3) Cardenas(2) Diogo(2) Iarley

Of course I was delighted with the results this month. The 13-0 plundering of Palmeriense was just one short of theclub record of 14-0 recorded in 1976 against tiny Ferrocarril

1 February 2007

January Recap

The transfer window closed with my team happy with the two new faces, Cardenas and Leonardo, whilst the arrival of Daniel Carvalho was eagerly awaited. Corinthians were the big movers bringing in Maicosuel of Parana for 2.4m, Fabio Santos of Sao Paulo for 1.3m, and Anderson of Dinamo for 1.3m.

We closed the transfer window with a balance of 14.6 million pounds, and still 7.3 available for transfers, thans to some clever wheeling and dealing.

2nd February - 17th February

One Way Traffic..

Internacional 7-0 Farrouphila Rentaria(2) Chiquinho, Fabinho, Fernandao, Indio, Diego

Guarani(RS) 0-4 Internacional Luiz Adriano(2) Diego, Iarley

Internacional 8-0 Santa Cruz(RS) Rentaria(4) Cardenas, Adriano Gabiru, Fabinho, Granja

Gloria 0-8 Internacional Michel (3) Iarley(2) Indio, Adriano Gabiru, Cardenas

Internacional 8-0 Palmeriense Luiz Adraino (4) Rentaria(3) Indio

The massacres continued, but most importantly my men were approaching full match fitness ahead of the bigger games. I took these oppurtunities to use a large number of player 31 in all, in in a bid to find what my best line-up may be. A number of men had impressed me this campaign so far, namely goal machine Luiz Adriano who had come back a far hungrier player since his spell at Cruziero, and the new men Cardenas, and Leonardo, though Indio and Edinho's fine form may mean he will have to wait his turn.

In this time the Copa Libertadores groups wre also announce, we drew Bolivians The Strongest, Peruvians Allianza Lima, and Uruguayans Nacional. I expected this to be an easy test, as it was last year, but, of course, would take nothing for granted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">16th December 2006

Club World Championships Final

Internacional vs Barcelona

For many of the lads this would be the highlight of their career, a game they would cherish, and a golden chance to earn a potentially money-spinning move to an elite european league.

The atmosphere at the Tokyo Dome was electric, 72349 fans crammed into the stadium, the blinding glare of shuttering cameras, this was a game they dared not dream about. Unfortunately, our lineup was somewhat depleted for this one. Talismanic captain Fernandao </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great title! icon14.gif

You emulated what happened in real life, when Inter beat Barcelona 1-0 last year. icon_smile.gif

The story is very well-written too and I think it even more interesting because you are managing a Brazilian team.

Archived