Whats with Australia having so many rival nations?

Eh, I guess the Asians hate them for being in their qualifying group despite not being Asian. The Irish/Welsh/North Irish might dislike them because of them being, essentially, convict England.
could it be a list of countries the ancestors of current australians were convicted in?

I don't want to start anything but many australians would see these vomments as racist. We're not all descended from convicts. Very few australians now are. My family goes back over 100+ years to when they arrived in australia from Ireland, England and Scotland and none of my ancestors are convicts.

Just so you know it would be more polite to say that australia has a rivalry with those countries due to many ancestors originating from there. I guess its similar to Brazil and Portugal having a rivalry.

And about our rivalry with Japan, it boils down to the world cup match in the group stage in 2006 and then Japan knocked us out of the Asian Cup the next year and then Australia and Japan faced each other in the WC qualifiers for this years world cup.

yes us aussies find all this sort of stuff totally racist, we're going to.... keep laughing about the fact that the brits loaded up all their murderers, rapists, and bread thieves, put them on a boat, and sent them TO A BETTER PLACE :p

Honestly, our national football team does have a tendency to be a bit rough at times, let's face it, most of them lacked the pace to keep up with international football to start with and now that the majority of the defense is pushing into their mid 30's, it's much easier to hack someone and throw your hands up in the air and try and convince the ref it was an "accident." I love the Socceroos with a passion, but I can't wait til this crop of players retire and the younger generation push thru for better or for worse.

Iran is definitely a serious rival

Australia have lost at the final playoff more than once to Iran...the likes of Iraq and China however aren't really rivals, we sorta just walk all over them anyway.

Hence losing to Iraq more than once in recent years?

What was it, 3-1 in the Asian Cup and 1-0 in the World Cup qualifiers.

I put these in there and quite simply it boils down to:

Traditional Sporting Rivals - the British teams, NZ,

Local Rivals - Japan, S Korea, China, Iraq, S Arabia

Others - Iran (based on previous games), Uruguay (based on previous games), Croatia (based on previous games and them stealing 3 of our players)

Reviewing that list I think that in hindsight perhaps Ireland,N Ireland, China, Iraq & S Arabia can be removed

Has Australia played Saudi Arabia in the past 10 years?

Australia petitioned heavily for OFC to have 1 World Cup spot rather then a play off against a (Strong) 5th ranked South American Team after the 2002 and 2006 Fiascos. When that proposition got turned down the upped it and left for Asia believing that it would give them a fairer chance of qualifying.

2002 was ridiculous, Australia beat Uruguay then lost 1 game, to Uruguay. Goals scored 74, Goals conceded 4. Matches lost 1. DID NOT QUALIFY

hardly a big thing when they trounced the dross nations and lost to a half decent one though?

the teams in their group were Fiji, tonga, Samoa and America Samoa. there didnt seem to be a way in the oceana quals to get it relativly fair to go straight through as theres only Australia and New Zealand who had any sort of chance

Thought it was interesting too to look at Leeds United's rivalries and see Galatasaray...
Hence losing to Iraq more than once in recent years?

What was it, 3-1 in the Asian Cup and 1-0 in the World Cup qualifiers.

that may be true but dont get me started on the way our Australian team is run and selected, there's far too much complacency, naming shoddy domesitc players in matches that should be considered important, with maybe one or two europeans to appease the crowd

Named shoddy A-Leaguers against Indonesia and only scraped a 1-0 win. That 18 year old Tommy Oar fella looks like one to watch though, I can see a European team snapping him up in the Summer Transfer window

Named shoddy A-Leaguers against Indonesia and only scraped a 1-0 win. That 18 year old Tommy Oar fella looks like one to watch though, I can see a European team snapping him up in the Summer Transfer window

he was brilliant i can't even remember who played on the right because the ball was sent left nearly all the time because he was just too good.

The Indonesia game was terrible. I've hated Pim since he was appointed, he is such a defensive minded coach who has absolutlely no idea how to get the best out of our attacking players.

We have the players in our A-League that should destroy Indonesia 4-nil, but, instead we get the ball and pass it around our midfield for ages, then try a long ball into the box, and whoops, that didn't work, so lets try it again!!

Also, please tell me how the super tall Kennedy couldn't get over the tiny Indonesian defence? He was shocking, i pray he's not our lone striking weapon in South Africa.

The Indonesia game was terrible. I've hated Pim since he was appointed, he is such a defensive minded coach who has absolutlely no idea how to get the best out of our attacking players.

We have the players in our A-League that should destroy Indonesia 4-nil, but, instead we get the ball and pass it around our midfield for ages, then try a long ball into the box, and whoops, that didn't work, so lets try it again!!

Also, please tell me how the super tall Kennedy couldn't get over the tiny Indonesian defence? He was shocking, i pray he's not our lone striking weapon in South Africa.

tbf we would have scored a bunch of goals if kennedy was more accurate, he kept winning the ball in the air but practically all his headers were off target. There were even a couple of chances when he beat the goalie in the air and it was an open net but he missed.

Having said that i don't think verbeek will be able to get us out of our world cup group and i do hope he leaves after the world cup.

I didn't mind Pim at first, we were still getting ok results but just weren't scoring much. I thought we'd eventually start scoring after a while but it hasn't happened, and doesn't look like happening.

I can't see us getting out of the WC group either, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't score a goal in all 3 games. At the last WC we all were so confident and the play showed it, we pushed the eventual winners all the way and matched it with them, we didn't look out of place. This WC we are going to look 2nd rate. :(

which isnt hard lol[/QUO

last game between australia and england 3-1 to aussies, ooooh snap

Last Ashes series finished 2-1 to England doesn't mean the England Cricket team is better then the Australians.

It was a friendly under Eriksson which even with a full strength starting line up were still a joke. I'd like to see you play us under Capello, where every game is taken seriously.

Last Ashes series finished 2-1 to England doesn't mean the England Cricket team is better then the Australians.

It was a friendly under Eriksson which even with a full strength starting line up were still a joke. I'd like to see you play us under Capello, where every game is taken seriously.

1. who cares about cricket

2. i didnt say that aussies were better at football than poms i just pointed out to that fella who thought it was easy to bet us that the last game between australia and england was 3-1

3. did you just say that your starting line up was a joke?

3. did you just say that your starting line up was a joke?

No. It wasn't that clear but I meant to imply that Eriksson chopped and changed in friendlies so much that they turned into a complete joke. They were complete waste of time for his entire managership.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget in a World Cup qualifier in Melbourne many moons ago Iran beat Australia even when we were 2-0 up early ? that was when Bosnich was in goal for the Aussie Socceroos. Also now we are playing in Asia, so a few Asian nations will show up as our rivals also eg - Japan ...

No it was a 2-2 draw, only lost on away goals.

2-0 Australia always leaves me unsettled after that game.

Archived