Defensive formations/systems

Has anyone managed to get any success from playing this type of system?

I've tried numerous times but it just doesn't seem to work. My latest attempt is with Scunthorpe United. Playing a flat 4-5-1, counter attacking, rigid, less expressive etc etc. I won the first game 3-2 away at Cardiff but 8 games in that is my only victory with two draws aswell. It's really frustrating.

I don't understand this ME either. Ball was played up to Hooper who is under orders to hold the ball up. He did that fine but instead of passing it, he hoofed it upfield where he knew nobody was. It just beggars belief and defies all logic.

Has anyone had any success from a defensive system?

Also just played Doncaster at home, went 1-0 up through Hooper and there was 4 minutes to go so I tell the team to 'take a breather' and change counter to defensive. I immediately get pegged back to 1-1 and then in the 92nd minute lose the game.

Are you playing direct football? Did Hooper have anyone open closer? Players left on their own with the ball aren't a good thing, they need to have the right option be the easiest option. They can't just hold and hold.

And how many times did this happen? Once? Twice?

I would say most people play an attacking system and there's a lot of people that tell you defensive systems aren't favored by SI's ME. When my team is outgunned, I will play a counter game, hoping to hold the opponent scoreless (defensively) while looking to take advantage of a few good runs.

you can't expect the striker to hold the ball up all day long, if he is under pressure he will try and get rid of the ball in a way that places the team under the least amount of pressure. you need to make sure that there is enough support for him when he recieves the ball. for instance you can play an attacking mentality and still keep it solid at the back. if you have all your players except your forward back and no support for him when he gets the ball you are just going to invite the other team to dominate posession and keep you under the kosh.

I am playing direct football, yes. I'm not expecting him to hold the ball up all day long, but you don't kick the ball up field when there are players around and when you know nobody is further upfield. That lacks common sense. Infact, it's downright stupid.

I think I agree with the fact that the ME doesn't handle defensive systems well. This is a major flaw. Many teams have been successful playing a defensive system. Milan, WBA, Bolton, Stoke, Chelsea etc...

When I played Sheffield United, Richard Cresswell manage to score without my keeper even going to ground. The keeper just stood still as Cresswell was 2 yards infront of him before blasting it into the corner. What is wrong with Goalkeepers on this game?

5 points from 39 now which includes 7 defeats in a row. I lose 3-0 at home and my ass man wants to say 'good effort' to the players. Absolute madness.

whats your midfield shape? playing a dm as an anchor man this should allow you to have a higher mentality on your other two central mids offering more support which should equal more possession. could try playing down the wings as well, that way your forward will look to play to the wings and then get forward to get on the end of the crosses with your two cental mids pushing up to get anything that gets headed clear.

you can leave the width at normal, just try focus passing down the flanks. I'd play an anchor man and the other two cm's on attack. not sure about wing play on the new patch but having your two central defenders on defend and an anchor man should cover the back amd give your other players more freedom to get forward and offer support.

Has anyone managed to get any success from playing this type of system?

I've tried numerous times but it just doesn't seem to work. My latest attempt is with Scunthorpe United. Playing a flat 4-5-1, counter attacking, rigid, less expressive etc etc. I won the first game 3-2 away at Cardiff but 8 games in that is my only victory with two draws aswell. It's really frustrating.

I don't understand this ME either. Ball was played up to Hooper who is under orders to hold the ball up. He did that fine but instead of passing it, he hoofed it upfield where he knew nobody was. It just beggars belief and defies all logic.

Has anyone had any success from a defensive system?

Also just played Doncaster at home, went 1-0 up through Hooper and there was 4 minutes to go so I tell the team to 'take a breather' and change counter to defensive. I immediately get pegged back to 1-1 and then in the 92nd minute lose the game.

http://www.filefront.com/15717453/4-1-4-1_el%20kademon%20men%20el%205alf%20%28Liverpool%2C%20Sep%202011%29.tac

try this tactic. The key (to me) is in 4 things: 1) All your players must be tall, good in the air and strong. ALL of them! favor that even if there is no technical ability.

2) Your wingers should dedicate themselves to defending rather than attacking. I assume you follow the rule of "at least three players with an attack duty, preferably the wingers and a striker" You will set 3 players to attack but your wingers will be set to support or defense and must have high workrate. Usually there aren't wingers with high workrate (15+) who are good technically. But always favor workrate.

3) You want a vicious target man who is tall and strong. He must hold up the ball and like to play with back to goal. Rather than play it to his head, pass it to his feet and look for him to play through passes.

4) Your attacking threat. the two CMs. There is a reason to why they are, it's complicated but it I'll share it with you. Attacking, Support and defending duties are relative to the player's position. A SC who is set on defensive duty is not equivalent to a CB on D-duty but more attacking. Similarly, if you set your winger to attacking duty he will not really focus on helping out in defense (since his position is advanced). This will leave you vulnerable especially that your playing on the counter 9you don't have possession). But when you set the CM's to attack, they naturally contribute to the defensive process (the battle in midfield). And they (given the target man will hold up the ball, and play with his back to goal) will look to run in behind the target man (usually unmarked) to be through and goal. This is simply what the tactic is based on.

But you must have the players with the capabilities I told you about. Your MC's must have "run from deep" or "looks to get forward" on their preferred moves or it wont work.

Best of luck

Are you playing direct football? Did Hooper have anyone open closer? Players left on their own with the ball aren't a good thing, they need to have the right option be the easiest option. They can't just hold and hold.

And how many times did this happen? Once? Twice?

I would say most people play an attacking system and there's a lot of people that tell you defensive systems aren't favored by SI's ME. When my team is outgunned, I will play a counter game, hoping to hold the opponent scoreless (defensively) while looking to take advantage of a few good runs.

I'd argue quite the opposite, I think defensive system are favored by SI. It is easier to build a defensive team than an offensive team (if you have a weak team)

I am playing direct football, yes. I'm not expecting him to hold the ball up all day long, but you don't kick the ball up field when there are players around and when you know nobody is further upfield. That lacks common sense. Infact, it's downright stupid.

I think I agree with the fact that the ME doesn't handle defensive systems well. This is a major flaw. Many teams have been successful playing a defensive system. Milan, WBA, Bolton, Stoke, Chelsea etc...

When I played Sheffield United, Richard Cresswell manage to score without my keeper even going to ground. The keeper just stood still as Cresswell was 2 yards infront of him before blasting it into the corner. What is wrong with Goalkeepers on this game?

5 points from 39 now which includes 7 defeats in a row. I lose 3-0 at home and my ass man wants to say 'good effort' to the players. Absolute madness.

They kick the ball because they lack composure, find at least one defender with 15+ and one with at least 11 and your problem will be solved. And give them more creative freedom.

Archived