Manchester United counter attacking???

hey,

im no tactics expert and was just wondering if i set up my 442 tactic threw the tactics creater and set it as counter, instead of "control or attacking" would i lose all my attacking abilty due to selecting counter as my ideal setup?.

also i wouldnt mind any extra advice that you guys can give cheers :)

From the horse's mouth as it where

Quote:

originally posted by PaulC

http://community.sigames.com/showpos...&postcount=315

A counter attack in FM is launched when a team gets the ball and there are less than X opposing players between the ball and their goal.

Ticking the counter attack box means that X is a higher value.

Once on counter attack, a team will play as if on highest mentality until the counter attack phase of play ends.

Quote:

originally posted by PaulC

http://community.sigames.com/showpos...&postcount=343

Having read Mitja's comments on counter attacking I have made a change going forward. Now, when a counter attack is instigated, the mentality will be considerd 20 and the forward runs setting moved up a notch ( if possible ) for each player during that attack.

You can most clearly see the effect if you happen to use a DMC with Runs From Deep = Rare. Probably noticeable with full backs too if they get triggered but tbh I don't know for certain since I've never looked at FBs with Rare and Counter Attack ticked.

So to answer your question, no you will not lose all your attacking ability, instead you will attempt to draw the opposition onto you before hitting them with an all out counter attack.

so should i put team mentality "attacking" and just tick the counter attack box, or is it best to use the "counter" mentality, its a complicated thing to get right but there is nothing better than when you get a perfect goal from a fast powerfull counter attack and now with the 10.3 match engine it should work a treat.

These are two separate concepts; the counter attacking 'phase' described in the PaulC quotes can occur in any match, with any overall strategy. Say you have a control or defensive strategy - if an opposition corner breaks down in such a way as to leave your player with the ball, some support and just a couple of defenders, your players will counter attack. The counter attack tick-box belongs really to this area - it just increases the likelihood of such a phase, regardless of your overall strategy. I use a control strategy (almost the antithesis of counter attacking) and still score a fair few goals on the counter attack, because they occur in a game anyway.

Selecting counter attacking as your strategy is different. This will amend other aspects of your setup, to encourage the opposition to commit players forward, before stealing the ball (quite deep) and setting up a counter attack phase. Essentially, the strategy tries to maximise the number of 'counter attack phases' (as above) that occur in a game. The counter attack strategy thus should (I've not looked, recently) include your team pressing less, having a deeper defensive line plus more direct passing and quicker tempo. Depending on your players, opposition and how you want to play, the downsides of this may (probably will, IMO, if you're a 'good' team) outweigh the postives.

These are two separate concepts; the counter attacking 'phase' described in the PaulC quotes can occur in any match, with any overall strategy. Say you have a control or defensive strategy - if an opposition corner breaks down in such a way as to leave your player with the ball, some support and just a couple of defenders, your players will counter attack. The counter attack tick-box belongs really to this area - it just increases the likelihood of such a phase, regardless of your overall strategy. I use a control strategy (almost the antithesis of counter attacking) and still score a fair few goals on the counter attack, because they occur in a game anyway.

Selecting counter attacking as your strategy is different. This will amend other aspects of your setup, to encourage the opposition to commit players forward, before stealing the ball (quite deep) and setting up a counter attack phase. Essentially, the strategy tries to maximise the number of 'counter attack phases' (as above) that occur in a game. The counter attack strategy thus should (I've not looked, recently) include your team pressing less, having a deeper defensive line plus more direct passing and quicker tempo. Depending on your players, opposition and how you want to play, the downsides of this may (probably will, IMO, if you're a 'good' team) outweigh the postives.

Bravo...this sumarize something that I noticed during all these years (I play full games).

Your team generaly have tendency to seet deeper (means more pressure on you and less possesion in general) and when you get ball players start to run forward (mentality of 20) and tempo is faster and passing is more direct. But I realy think that mentality determines tempo and passing a lot. Because if you, for example set your team mentality to 20 and you play slow passing game, you will still see a lot of fast direct passes! It's because mentality affects positioning of players and how often they rush forward (or how are they determined to go back), but it also affect how often ball is played forward!!!

Archived