Little Devil

-Xenon-

Little Devil

1st May 2009

I suppose that I ought to start by introducing myself. That may not be easy, as I go by many different names! My full name is Tiago Fabío Silva dos Santos, my parents call me Fabí. However, anyone that knows me in football calls me ‘Diabinho’ which means ‘little devil’. I come from Principe, which is a small island off the coast of Africa that is twinned with another island, São Tome. My father is São Tomean and my mother is Brazilian. Her parents are originally from Portugal.

Today is my sixteenth birthday and it also could be the biggest day of my life. But, first I should explain why I got the name Diabinho. I played my first real football match at the age of 14. It was for Praia Cruz, the club I currently play for. I was (and still am) very slight and many people said I was too small to play. But I didn’t let that stop me and I used my skill and pace to beat the bigger and stronger players. I later learnt that one of the coaches suggested I should be known as Santinho, or ‘little saint’. However the head coach said “forget the little saint; he’s more of a little devil”. And so the name was born.

Now, the reason why this day, my birthday, is so important. Today I play for Praia Cruz, like I do every Saturday. Except this time, a scout from Portugal will be there to watch the game. I don’t know whether he works for a big club, just that he knows important people in the Portuguese game. So I have to play my absolute best if I want to pursue my dream of being a professional footballer. I love Principe, but my opportunities are limited here.

So, today is the day that I begin this diary. I hope that in the future I will read this and see that this day, my sixteenth birthday, was the first day of the rest of my life.

“Well, when I went to São Tome I didn’t bear any high expectations. It pays for us to scout globally, especially in Portuguese speaking countries; you never know what might turn up. So I went to the game and it would be fair to say I wasn’t totally enthused.

I noticed this small kid out on the right. He was tiny and skinny. I thought it was a son of one of the coaches making up the numbers as he looked far too small to be a football player. When he got the ball, he was a phenomenon. The ball was glued to his feet; he was nimble, agile and quick. He possessed great skill and passing ability. He breezed past bigger and stronger players. When they challenged him he seemed to bounce off them rather than going to ground. He had great balance, by the closing stages off the game he didn’t even look tired. He was still charging around looking for the ball.

He had scored two goals. I remember thinking that we were the only scouts watching the game and that we effectively had first option on the kid, he was a total unknown. Judging ability comes through years upon years of watching young kids play, you just get to a stage when you’ve watched thousands of them, all of a sudden the brilliant ones shine through. I’d never really seen anything like this kid, he was a total natural. Too small? Perhaps, but we knew we could bulk him up.

So, I didn’t have to think twice about making the arrangements to bring him to Porto. No, not at all, it was an obvious move.”

Porto scout, Rui Pedro Silva, from an interview in 2025

Entombed : Thanks, and yeah the font was a little ott! I did curse myself instantly after posting it, so I have thankfully toned it down:D

8th May 2009

Today is the day I have waited for all my life. Yet I have to admit that I have never been so nervous in all my life. My bags are packed and in a few hours I leave for the city of Porto. I leave behind my father and my two brothers Marcio and Zézé. Our mother passed away several years ago, I often wonder what she would make of all this. I’m sure she would be sad to see me leave home but happy to see me pursue my dream of becoming a professional footballer.

I’ve only just turned 16 and I have never been outside of the islands. I’m heading to a new country on my own. I have just a short time to prove that I am good enough to stay. I have a month’s trial with FC Porto and if I play well, I may get a youth contract. I got this far on 90 minutes, so a month should be plenty of time.

I wonder what Portugal will be like, what living in a big city will be like. I also wonder what the Porto youth team will make of me, I hope I get on well with them, I hope they don’t laugh at me because I’m small. Most of all I just hope that I do my very best. I want to be able to earn enough money to get my father and brothers a better life. I think they deserve it, I just hope I can do it for them.

Porto Strike a Deal With the Devil

Porto today formally announced that they have offered São Tomean starlet Diabinho a two year youth contract. The attacking midfielder has impressed since joing the club on trial. Tiago Fabío Silva dos Santos to give him his full name hails from the small island of Principe and also holds both Brazilian and Portuguese citizenship.

Diabinho won the contract after reputedly impressing the coaching staff at Porto, including the manager Jesualdo Ferreira. Standing just 5"5 tall, there are apparantly plans to bulk the youngster up if he is to withstand the physical pressures of top level football. He can play on the left, the right and can also be employed through the centre of the midfield. Fleet footed, agile and very technically proficient, the youngster is definitely regarded as a great prospect for the future.

Youth coach, Vitor Frade was delighted to seal the signing.

"We at Porto are delighted to welcome Diabinho to the club. We are always looking to expand the talent at the club and he certainly fits the bill. He will hopefully be a prominent member of the Under 19 side this coming season. Given that he does well this season, there is every chance that he will eventually be offered a professional deal. However as always we urge our youngsters to keep their feet on the ground."

Article from ojogo.pt, 2nd June 2009

4th June 2009

I have settled in to life in Porto much better than I expected. The players are all good guys, I’m a part of the Under 19 squad at the moment, so I’m one of the youngest at the club. But it hasn’t made much of a difference. I think everyone was a bit surprised to se a kid so small, especially seeing as football players are becoming bigger and stronger all the time.

The club placed me in digs with two other players. Bacar Baldé, a fellow African who comes from Guinea-Bissau and Gilmar Santos, a Brazilian. They are both a year older than me, but they are good guys and we have become quite good friends. They certainly helped me to settle in at the club. We have a really good laugh living together. Like me, they live and breathe football. Bacar plays at left back and Gilmar is a striker. When we aren’t playing football we are always talking about it, or playing FIFA on Gilmar’s Xbox. I had never even played on one before! I’m being paid €500 a week. It is more money than I know what to do with. I thought I might buy some new boots, but foolishly forgot that the club provide whichever ones I want.

I have only been playing in training matches. The coaches have had me on a high protein diet, plus I’m constantly being told to go to the gym. My fitness is very good but they want me to put some muscle on. It’s only been a few weeks but already I feel much stronger and generally more healthy. So these past few weeks have been amazing, and it is only the start.

Thanks Marmoset :thup:

12th June 2009

I’d been at Porto for about a month and a half when they let me go home to Principe for a few days. I flew out and was immediately struck by how different it felt. I’d been away for just six weeks yet there was something that did not feel right, I guess it was the fact it was no longer my home. My father and brothers were doing fine and had been following my progress. Porto were kind enough to let them know of any major developments.

My father asked me about life in Portugal, I told him all about the place I was living in. I said that eventually I hoped to be able to move everyone out to Portugal, once I had enough money. He said that they were doing just fine on the island and that I should just concentrate on my football. My older brother Zézé, however, wanted to speak with me. He wanted to know whether I had any representation, an agent in other words. It was something I hadn’t even thought of. The youth contract I had signed, hadn’t required an agent, just the consent of my father. Zézé said that if I turned professional I would need an agent and that most would charge high percentage fees. He asked if I would think about letting him be my agent. He would charge next to nothing and he hoped to get new clients provided he did a good job representing me. So eventually he could make his own money.

Zézé was my older brother, he was 19 years old. He had always been there for me. Through all the tough times he was there as my older brother. It was perhaps strange between myself, Marcio and Zézé, that we rarely fell out with each other. We always got on. So, it was a no brainer to let him become my agent. I knew he would have my best interests at heart and he wouldn’t rip me off. He was always the clever one in the family, I knew he would take to the business well. So I made arrangements for him to come back to Portugal with me, where he could stay with me, Bacar and Gilmar.

Taken from a local Oporto newspaper...

Diabinho makes debut in cup win

Braga 0-2 Porto - Under 19's Cup - 19th August 2009

Diabinho was the notable inclusion for Porto's Under 19 side as he made his debut at the Estadio Axa for this first round match. And he was a solid if not a little unspectacular contributor to a comfortable 2-0 win for the visitors. The São Tomean who has been touted as a potential future star, made some nice touches and probing passes out on the right wing. He often switched to the left, worrying defenders with his dribbling.

Plaudits for the victory would go to his team-mates though. Alex put Porto ahead in the first half with a close range header from a corner. Braga at time struggled to cope with the talents of Porto's youngsters and despite some stout defending, they eventually conceded again. Eduardo scoring with a nice curled finish in a breakaway attack.

Porto's youngsters progress then. Their new signing looked decent and not at all out of his depth. Working with Porto's already talented group, it looks to be a promising season for the young side. Good news for Porto's future.

31st August 2009

I feel totally settled at Porto now, the fact that I have played quite well since joining may be the reason for that. I made my debut in the youth cup against Braga and have gone on to play in the Under 19 league. I’ve even scored a couple of goals, which has been fantastic. I can’t tell you how fantastic it is to be playing in a team with so many gifted young players. In Principe, I often felt pressured to do most of the creative work by myself. But here there is no pressure, I know that I have to concentrate fully on my job and trust my colleagues to do theirs. And we don’t let each other down. So I would have to say the team mentality is what I enjoy most here.

Interestingly Jesualdo Ferreira has given me a first team squad number for this season: 42. I doubt I will get to play first team football, but it leaves the door open for me to do so. Jesualdo is a great trainer. Disciplined but also very fair, he has been a great person for me whenever I perhaps need advice on my game.

Zézé loves it here. He has even set up a little office of sorts in our house. But rather predictably I remain his only client! He does his very best and I suppose they listen to him. Bacar has gone on loan to Santa Clara, a club way out in the Azores, so when my brother moved in, there was plenty of room for him. Gilmar was happy to see him arrive. He didn’t say much about it, but I suspected he and Bacar may have fallen out at some stage, possibly regarding a girl. Not surprising!

Taken from www.ojogo.pt

Brace from young starlet could herald first team inclusion

Porto 3-1 Benfica – Under 19’s League – 12th September 2009

Jesualdo Ferreira will be pleased to know that should the current injury crisis at the club continue; he will have several options with which to pick from in the excellent youth team. None more so than young winger Diabinho. The São Tomean was in brilliant form as he netted two goals in their youth league clash with Benfica. That makes it 7 goals in just 6 appearances for Porto’s youth side. His first in this match was routine enough. A cool finish after finding himself one on one with the keeper.

His second was rather more special, cutting in from the left (incidentally right after switching from the right hand side, where he had played the whole game), he jinked past two players, played a delightful one-two with Gilmar Santos and fired home. He wasn’t the only winger that caught the eye. Left sided Swedish youngster Ricardo Gray scored their third.

Former Manchester United player Evandro Brandão got a consolation for Benfica. However it was Porto that surged to the top of the youth league. Which is more than can be said for their senior colleagues, who have had a slow start to the Liga Sagres campaign.

Taken from World Soccer magazine’s “Ones to Watch for 2010”.

Romelu Lukaku / 13.5.93 / Belgian / Striker / Anderlecht

Such is the glowing promise of this 16 year old striker, that there is already speculation that he could be in line for a call up to the Belgian national squad. The player, who also holds Congolese nationality, joined Anderlecht from Lierse when he was barely even a teenager. Three years in Anderlecht’s academy followed and at the tender age of 16, Anderlecht’s management felt he was ready for first team affairs. To date, he has clocked up several appearances and more importantly some good goals.

Tall, muscular and strong, Lukaku is also very adept at finishing whether by boot or head. He is also very creative, often holding up the ball and looking to play his team mates in. Given his style and technical quality, comparisons to the likes of Didier Drogba are expected and not unrealistic. It remains to be seen how long he will stay in Belgium, realistically it shouldn’t be too long if he continues to impress.

Dominik Weiler / 16.2.94 / German / Striker / Werder Bremen

The latest buzz coming from German youth football is young striker Dominik Weiler. When we think of great German players we think of big strong players, bustling their way to goal. Weiler is a different proposition. Quick, light on his feet and possessing silky dribbling skills; Weiler is more likely to bamboozle defenders with his technical skills than leave them lying on the ground with a sore head. Currently just 15, he has broken every goalscoring record going for Werder Bremen’s youth setup. When his sixteenth birthday comes around he is expected to be introduced into the senior setup.

Having already made his international bow for Germany at Under 19 level, Weiler is tipped for big things in the future. The youngster has already made it clear that he wants to stay at Werder Bremen for the foreseeable future, but if he continues to make progress it surely won’t be long before Europe’s elite are monitoring his progress.

Diabinho / 1.5.93 / São Tome and Principe / Winger / Porto

Diabinho is the latest in a long line of talented wingers to come out of Portuguese football. Hailing from the tiny African island of Principe, he joined Porto at the end of last season, not long after his sixteenth birthday. Small and slight, the comparisons with Lionel Messi have been tentatively suggested, however the Porto physios claim that he his having a growth spurt as a result of the physical and dietary requirements of professional football. There is a sense of trying to keep the youngster’s feet on the ground. That may prove difficult as he has already set Portuguese youth football alight with his astounding skill and flair. He also has a natural eye for goal, but for the most part is an unselfish team player. Creative, quick and skilful; the superlatives are numerous for the young man.

Jesualdo Ferreira has already said that he will be involved in first team football at some stage this season, although it is difficult to predict when. His international future may be the subject of debate because in addition to his home nation of São Tome and Principe; he can also represent either Brazil or Portugal. The two giants may be battling it out in the future to have him represent them. Diabinho is thought to prefer his maternal home of Brazil to his paternal Principe and his ancestral Portugal.

Thanks a lot Spav :thup:

4th October 2009

As I write this, I am on the team coach as we journey from our hotel to the Estádio José Arcanjo to play Olhanense. I should probably note that I am not with the Under 19 squad, but with the first team. I’ve been taking part in a few training sessions over the past fortnight and Jesualdo told me I was part of the squad today because we were having a few injury problems. Once again I am so nervous, just off the back of feeling really settled, I suddenly feel all over the place. That is not to say the senior players haven’t been welcoming, far from it. They are so experienced, it has been a real eye opener for me personally. It is one thing to play Under 19 football, quite another to play senior football. Raul Meireles in particular, being an experienced player and one of the key home grown Portuguese players, was very supportive to me. I think he understood how difficult it can be for such young players.

I could not believe what I was hearing when I woke up this morning. I went down into the lobby and found Jesualdo coming towards me. He said that rather unbelievably, Fernando Belluschi (who was going to start on the right wing) had slipped in the shower this morning. He had gone down hard on his knee and the physios were saying that he might not be able to play. Jesualdo asked to be prepared to take his place, to make sure I remembered the tactical plan. As I look up from my diary now, Fernando is sat with ice packed on his right knee, a massive grimace on his face. We are now pulling into the ground. Maybe by a stroke of misfortune on one of my team-mates, I am about to make my senior debut...

Taken from www.ojogo.pt

Porto bounce back to smash Olhanense

Olhanense 0-4 Porto – Liga Sagres – 4th October 2009

Porto recovered from the disappointment of losing to Russian champions, Rubin Kazan in midweek, by thrashing Olhanense away from home. It was somewhat of a historic afternoon for Porto as they fielded the youngest ever player to wear the blue and white. At 16 years and 5 months, São Tomean winger Diabinho was called upon to replace Fernando Belluschi on the right wing, who had suffered an injury set-back before the match.

Diabinho had solid senior debut, making a few dangerous runs. But it was the Colombian striker Falcao that would really impress. It was through him that Porto went into the break 2-0 up. Deserved punishment for shockingly bad defending, Falcao was allowed on two occasions to drift in to a goal scoring position and he showed a clinical touch by dispatching both chances. In the second half, Hulk added to the lead with a thundering shot that clattered in off the post. And the fourth and final goal was down to the good work of the debutant. Diabinho was having a difficult afternoon, but he constantly tried to make an impact and eventually it paid off. Running on to a through ball down the right he hit a first time cross that was perfectly hit. It was almost indefensible and sure enough in an attempt to clear; Ricardo Ferreira only managed to turn the cross into his own net.

That result keeps Porto in second position behind Benfica.

28th October 2009

After making my debut against Olhanense, I went straight back to playing for the Reserves and the Under 19’s. I didn’t mind this at all, Jesualdo needed me to do a job and came in and did my best. But I remain focused on my development; I am in no rush to play senior football on a regular basis. We are currently top of the Under 19’s league. I’ve scored in six consecutive matches until last week against Belenenses. Ricardo Gray got two in that match. He actually broke the record that I had set for being the youngest ever Porto player. He is Swedish, plays left wing and is a very good player, nice guy too. I always say that I’m jealous of him taking my record, but of course we only joke with each other.

I got told some interesting news this afternoon after training. Next week, I will be flying out to Milan in Italy, as part of the squad to play Inter Milan in the Champions League. This time I really do not expect to play. I always had a sneaking hope that I would get some minutes against Olhanense, but this is I think is down to needing some emergency cover. We have high hopes, as we beat them 3-1 at the Dragão in the first fixture. I am looking forward to it purely so that I can experience visiting a new country. I’ve never been anywhere other than São Tome, Principe and Portugal. Now I will be able to add Italy to that list. I do have one problem though.

I met a girl at Gilmar’s 18th birthday celebration in Lisbon. Her name is Ana and although I feel I had no real say in the matter, I think she considers herself my girlfriend. She is nearly two years older than me, admittedly gorgeous but I get the feeling she is after a footballer to look after her. Especially one with potential. I am a bit smitten I have to say but I just worry for exactly what she sees in me. But anyway, of course she finds out I’m going to Milan, she wants to come with me. Something about it being a fashion capital or something. I think she thought I was going to pay for her to go on a spending spree, so I had to tell her I’m going to play football not buy handbags and shoes and that I’d see her when I got back.

This did not go down well...

Cheers viper :thup:

Taken from O Primeiro de Janeiro newspaper:

Nine man Porto outclassed by Italian champions

Inter Milan 3-0 Porto – UEFA Champions League – 3rd November 2009

Porto may have been on a high after a great victory against Inter Milan in the first fixture, but they were certainly brought back down to earth in the San Siro. Ill discipline was the main factor in this defeat. Porto were down to ten men as early as the ninth minute when Maicon (of Porto, not his Inter Milan namesake who was coincidentally absent through injury) was sent off for a professional foul on Diego Milito. Inter took full advantage and it was only a matter of time until they went in front. It was Milito that rattled home the ball after a half hearted clearance from Bruno Alves. Porto managed to keep the score at 1-0 until half time.

Upon resumption, Porto dug themselves into an even bigger hole. Falcao was involved in an altercation with Marco Matterazzi and was adjudged to have let fly an elbow in the direction of the controversial Italian’s face. He received a red card and Porto were down to nine men. It got worse, as Wesley Sneijder was on hand to smash home, the last phase of a continuous move from the resultant free kick. With five minutes to go, Silvestre Varela suffered a nasty injury and was forced into being withdrawn. This led to a Champions League debut for Diabinho who looked a bit overwhelmed.

Porto battled hard with just nine men, but Inter inevitably broke them down for a third time. Mario Balotelli who had arguably been their brightest player, latched on to a cross from Dejan Stankovic for an easy finish. Diabinho nearly had a fairy tale European debut, when his curling shot hit the bar in stoppage time. In the end a comfortable win for Inter Milan, one that damages Porto’s hopes of qualification.

10th November 2009

Well I think it is fair to say that Milan was a disaster for all concerned. I had five minutes to play alongside just 8 other players. Although my heart skipped a beat when I hit the bar, not that it would have made much difference, it would have been nice personally. As requested, Ana got her Prada handbag, three weeks wages but then again what am I going to spend it on? And as requested, Gilmar got Samuel Eto’o’s shirt. That only cost me some polite conversation.

When we returned from Italy, in the first training session with the Under 19’s I went down heavily on my ankle. I thought I had broken it the pain was so bad, but the club doctor said it was a very bad sprain. I left on crutches and I’m still using them now. I can’t play for a minimum of four weeks, cannot even train until five to six weeks time. It’s really odd to suddenly not be able to play. Obviously injury is something every footballer goes through and this is the first time I’ve had to deal with it.

Being at home, I’ve spent a lot of time helping Zézé pursue his dream of becoming an agent. And he has his second client! Predictably it is Gilmar, but a couple of the other lads have expressed an interest because he charges a lot less commission than most, Ricardo Gray said he was interested in Zézé representing him. There is a good atmosphere about the house at the minute with me, Ana, Zézé, Gilmar and his girlfriend Maria. A lot of the other Porto lads are round quite often and we have a great laugh together. However, I’m itching to get rid of these crutches and get back to playing. I’m jealous when Gilmar goes to training. Hopefully it won’t be too long out.

Taken from O Primeiro de Janeiro newspaper:

Young Porto side claim League Cup victory

Porto 2-1 Naval – League Cup Third Round – 2nd January 2010

Promising young winger Diabinho made a return to action in this match for the first time since injuring his ankle in the aftermath of the defeat away to Inter Milan. And he was part of a youthful looking Porto side in this League Cup match. And it was he that got the breakthrough in this match. Playing a neat one-two with Emirati forward Ahmed Khalil, he slotted the ball home to give Porto the lead. That goal, his first for the senior side.

Zé Mário was able to get one back for Naval in the second half as the errors from this inexperienced Porto side took their toll. Some shoddy defending allowed the midfielder to get a shot that flew past Beto to make it 1-1. It was one of the players with a little more experience that settled the game. Uruguyan, Cristian Rodriguez got the winner, collecting a pass from Diabinho before placing a neat shot under the Naval keeper for 2-1.

That result means that Porto kick off Group A of the League Cup with a win. They now have to play Olhanense and Leixões in order to progress.

Archived