Settling of a Tactic ?

Hello,

For quite some time now, I have been failing with settling a succesful tactic for a team.

I'm an old skooler when it comes to tactics: I prefer having only one that succeeds and play that tactic no matter what. So here come the questions:

1- Is one-tactic-for-all obsolete ? Is it what I'm doing wrong from the very start ? Do you need to shift around positions and formations according to what the match in action brings ? Can't you be succesful with some certain tactic ? Do Barcelona (IRL) shift formations ?

2- Do tactics have a habit of settling as it used to be in the past ? I know of tactics back in CM days, where you'd fail miserably for the first half of the season yet the same tactic would skyrocket you in the remaining season. Is it still valid ?

For example, I have set out a tactic with Valladolid and started La Liga. For the first 4 matches it's all losses. Should I stick with it or is it obvious that the tactic is fail despite Valladolid being a relegation contender ? My friend who shifts tactics throughout the game has 14 points in 7 games with almost the same squad.

Thanks in advance.

Well......

First things first.....

There is a difference between a tactic and a formation. Once you understand that (no intention of 'sucking eggs') then you can begin to merrily change things without moving away from your old school mentality.

The fact is, you do NOT need to change formations at all if you have one that you like, however what you DO have to change is the tactical instructions inside of that formation.

Example:

442 defensive and a 442 attack are the same formation but different tactics. Just one of those tactics (not formations) is unlikely to consistantly win you anything unless you are one of the top 5 teams in the world.

One of the things I would suggest is to use the wizard to create a tactic and then remove from that tactic instructions that you team are not capable of carrying out. That should then leave you with a fairly solid tactic.

If you click on my name in the top right and thenclick statistics and the 'threads starts', I created one for getting started in this game. I use this personaly everytime I start a new game (today funnily enough after a massive computer crash).

LAM

I think a single consistent tactic can certainly provide better than 4 successive defeats, even with a lesser team. A settling in period should only really be an issue if you have a lot of new players, or are playing an 'unusual' system. It sounds as though there may be a flaw in your tactic if your friend is getting much better results with essentially the same squad. Try watching a few games in full, to see where the system is breaking down.

I was using one tactic and one formation before patch 10.3 and I pretty much dominated with liverpool, newcastle, Italy and ermm harchester united (I played a database somebody created for a bit of fun) :D.

So I guess the short answer would be no, one tactic/formation for all is not obsolete. However, I haven't tested this properly with patch 10.3.

Hope this helps. :thup:

Archived