Is it possible to make a tactic of 10 Robbie Savages?

OK, perhaps not quite as extreme as the title suggests, but is it possible to make a tactic where players just chase everything like Sir Robbie Savage does in real life?

I know all the pit-falls of having a whole team doing that and that such a tactic would fail horribly, but I just want to try it. As a starter I've tried high defensive line, closing down often and hard tackling but, despite my team having high workrate and stamina, the players just don't seem particularly interested in chasing the ball :p

As an example I have two pet hates in the FM10 match engine:

- The opposition goalkeeper rolling the ball out to full-backs

- Unmarked players on opposition throw-ins

Try as I do though I just can't seem to get my team snarling in the faces of the opposition, they just seem to want to drop back and hold a solid shape. When they do close down it's generally a case of them hunting the ball individually rather than a Sam Allardyce style smothering of the opposition.

Does anyone have any ideas or tactics they've created which recreate the old fashioned "they don't like it up 'em" style of play?

He knows the problems, but he wants to have a go.

As you're aware, high workrate is key. Since you have a squad with high workrate already, try increasing their creative freedom. As far as I can see, you've done everything right already - closing down, hard tackling etc. I guess SI haven't done soak tests for this kind of tactic - you're the first person to think of it. Report in with your results, anyhow.

Perhaps tight man-marking/tight zonal and closing down in the individual player instructions along with the same thing in the opposition instructions.

Not something I would advocate particularly for the obvious pitfalls, but very effective with one of your strikers, one of your midfielders. Along with the obvious work-rate attribute, they'll need determination and high overall physical attributes... strength, natural fitness, stamina, to name but few.

Archived