Goalkeepers' training issue <fm 2010>

I don't know if I am missing sth. but my goalkeepers' training progress has been permanently about half of what I get from my field players. And the progress of my young, promising goalies has been close to nothing. Grrr.... Is it natural or am I doing sth. wrong?

This is what I mean:

My goalie:

54860852.jpg

And one of my field players:

fieldb.jpg

It would be o.k. for me if these bars were only a little deceiving, but I am afraid they are true in fact, because my goalkeepers are really making hardly any skill improvement. At one point in the past I had to choose between 2 young, promising goalies and up to now my goalie has made hardly any impact wheras the other, bought later by Aston Villa, is now becoming a real star. Maybe I just made a bad choice but still can't get used to such a developement differences that seem unjustified to me.

BTW: My goalkeeper's workrate is 7, personality - balanced.

Aston Villa has respectively 5 and fairly pro personality.

Both playing mostly in reserves and on loan.

Similar training facilities and gk coach ratings.

It would be o.k. for me if these bars were only a little deceiving, but I am afraid they are true in fact, because my goalkeepers are really making hardly any skill improvement. At one point in the past I had to choose between 2 young, promising goalies and up to now my goalie has made hardly any impact wheras the other, bought later by Aston Villa, is now becoming a real star. Maybe I just made a bad choice but still can't get used to such a developement differences that seem unjustified to me.

BTW: My goalkeeper's workrate is 7, personality - balanced.

Aston Villa has respectively 5 and fairly pro personality.

Both playing mostly in reserves and on loan.

Similar training facilities and gk coach ratings.

Workrate is important, but so are two hidden attributes, Professionalism and Ambition. It looks to me like you've inadvertently found out that these are low. If you check these in the editor you might have your answer.

There are a few issues at hand here.

The first issue, the issue that actually matters in terms of end result is the amount and quality of games Goalkeepers get. High Potential First Choice Goalkeepers will develop at a decent rate, equivelant to other players. If a particular Goalkeeper is not First Choice then it is very possible that they rarely play First Team football and this will stunt their growth.

The second issue is that Overall bar charts show precisely that, Overall levels or Overall progress. These are sums of all Categories and so Goalkeepers that do not train in outfield Categories will never achieve high Overall bar charts. This is not an indication of a bad schedule, it is an indication that the information can be misleading and prone to misinterpretation.

You have to take into account CA/PA, Match Experience and Age when discussing development of players. Players not developing according to plan could be suffering from high CA and low PA levels which is unchangeable and means the player has hit his limit. He could be suffering from low Match Experience which is changeable and means he is not getting enough First Team action. They could also be suffering from Age related development trends and be too young to see impressive growth rates in attributes.

It is very difficult to manage the development of Goalkeepers due to Match Experience and Age issues. Young Goalkeepers that are not your First Choice should ideally always be playing at another club regularly, whether that means loaning them out or not buying them untill they are older. If you do buy them and you do keep them then you need to employ a very serious rotation policy.

Archived