The 4-2-4

The nasty 4-2-4 is a formation that we have come across many times when defending a one goal lead. It is normally used around the 80th minute by the AI and provides many of those heart in mouth moments that make you feel sick. In the Champions League Final for example. I was Real Madrid V Man Utd. I was 1-0 up for the whole game. Man Utd went to this formation at the 80th minute and I found myself on the end of a 1-2 beating.

-- GK

DR DC DC DL

-- MC MC

FR FC FC FL

My Question is, could this be implemented as a tactic form the start of the game to provide many goal scoring oppurtunites whilst also remaining defensively solid?

Defending against it, I usually fight fire with fire. The AI teams open themselves up at the back, so a counter-attacking or really offensive approach usually yields better results when teams make the change. Likewise though, it can help to change your full-back settings to be more defensive. They'll still get forward when needed, but they'll also be more mindful of their defensive duties containing the wide opposing players.

Using something like this yourself, it's pretty much going all out attack, ultra-direct. It's perhaps useful in short bursts during a game or late in a game chasing a lead, but used for a whole game, it will easily tire out your players. That in itself will cause problems late on in matches. Unless you've got the players positionally and the stamina and fitness, it's likely to always be poor defensively. Risk vs. reward though.

You could probably make the system more effective than AI teams might, because the wider players used by AI managers when they make the switch, are often playing out of position. So correct usage of player attributes will always be key.

So in actual fact it would not be able to be used for a whole game. Annyoing but I see what you mean with the tiring out of players. So what would be the most attacking formation you would think of being possible without tiring players.

Well at the moment, I'm playing a 4-3-3 formation with a deep-lying striker to drop back into the hole. I've only been using the TC with FM10, so haven't done anything really detailed with the sliders or anything, like with previous releases.

I tend to use the overall match strategies (mentality) to dictate how offensive my team plays. Usually I switch between control, attacking and overload depending on opponents and what I see during matches.

The nearest I would go to a 4-2-4 would be with an AML and AMR with two strikers. Those four players can be set on very offensive settings, but the wingers will also help track back to protect the full-backs.

With any attacking system or system requiring much movement off the ball, running with the ball, heavy closing down and pressing, then it's always likely that players will tire. This is where good physical attributes come into play. Asking a lot physically of players will require great natural fitness and stamina. Players who are low on that score, will tire very quickly and likely have less impact as the game progresses. It's then important to make suitable substitutions, or limit some of the more physically draining tasks to a few players.

Archived