Editing Mistakes

Sead Muratic

Today I got the crash dump once again. With my limited knowledge, my first suspect is the deletion of clubs history. Since I didn't have the back up (it's a forgotten old file that I chose as a dummy in learning the advanced rule), I searched the xml file to delete the delete actions. It took an hour to do for I had deleted histories of hundred clubs.

I reload a new game after that. And it crashed once again.

I searched everything that could go wrong, rules and everything (I wasn't even half good at using advanced rules, so imagine the darkness), also smaller things like changing nationality of players with caps (which will likely crash your game nowadays, since the inclusion of international debut date). But I didn't find anything.

After more hour of searching, changing, and reloading, I found out that it's a more unlikely mistake: I forgot to change a second nationality of ONE player. He had the same second nationality with his first. After I corrected it, the db loaded fine.

It makes me realize that saving every step is mandatory because even the slightest mistake can lead to a horror crash. It's not always the complicated parts that cause it, but also simple changes that we don't even remember making.

I think it might be helpful to many, if anyone can share the knowledge and experience about things that can crash the editor data. Something like the list of common mistakes for newbie editor (or any editor).

Sorry about the length and the English:)

Archived