A Fistful of Pesos (TCC)

-Xenon-

Authors Note: This was supposed to be an attempt at completing a story before actually posting it, but to be honest I just can't seem to do it that way. This story is based on Dalbeider's Two Crowns Challenge, I would do the extended Five or Six Crowns Challenge but to be frank, I value my sanity. Leagues loaded are: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, England, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Portugal and Spain.

A Fistful of Pesos

Xavier de las Coronas had spent most of the 29 years of his existence referred to as ‘the man with the stupid name’. He thought it was quite catchy, often erroneously crediting to some noble Spanish lineage, just like the other 110 million Mexicans.

He was a football manager. He had also been a former professional footballer. “Hang on” I hear you cry (or maybe not because I can’t hear you think) “29 is a bit early to hang up your muddied boots and move in to management, I bet you are going to slap me round the face with some cliché that he got some serious career ending injury right?” That would be traditional wouldn’t it?

Well, I’m sure Xavier would jump at the chance to have such a personal history. But, in reality it was a cocaine fuelled weekend in Cabo with some gender challenged ladies of the night that ended his career in disgrace. To this day, he does not regret it, so no real point dwelling on that seedy chapter of his life. Why stay in football? He needed the steady income to help pay off his gambling debts.

So how does a reprobate like Xavier become one of the greatest managers the world has ever seen? I’m not going to tell you now because it defeats the object of you reading on, and to be honest I won’t guarantee that he does become the greatest manager of all time.

In the summer of 2009 he took charge of Xoloitzcuintles de Tijuana in the second tier of Mexican football. Tijuana hoped that having such a controversial figure as manager would be a PR masterstroke. In fact, they didn’t really care much about what he did on the pitch. The man with the stupid name and colourful past might draw in some punters.

So our story begins in the fair city of Tijuana and on the hallowed turf of the Estadio Caliente. And who knows where our intrepid hero may end up? Estadio Azteca? Maracanã? Santiago Bernebeu? Camp Nou? Or even Selhurst Park?

You might find out, I wouldn’t hold my breath personally.

Xavier hailed from Guadalajara. The son of a mechanic, he surprised his family by being somewhat of a high achiever in his education. Regularly a class topper, he was a studious and thoughtful child. His nose was always in a book on philosophy, history or something or other. He also ran against the grain in terms of coupling academic excellence with sporting excellence. He became a very gifted midfielder player and at the age of just 13 was signed up by hometown club Chivas.

But just a year later and at the age of just 14, his father was murdered in a drive by shooting. Caught in the crossfire between rival drug traffickers, Ramon de las Coronas was yet another innocent victim of Mexico’s escalating violent crime problem. And it would forever scar his youngest son Xavier, who after being such a grounded young man, began to drift off the rails.

All through his time at Chivas he began to show signs of ill discipline. He got caught up in drink, drugs and he moved in the wrong circles. Tired of his lack of professionalism, Chivas showed him the door aged 19. Spells at Morelia and Tigres followed, but his loco lifestyle led to him moving further down the leagues. He moved on to Dorados, where he had the longest spell of his career, just two years.

His cocaine and gambling addiction further intensified in an 18 month spell at Olimpia in Honduras, before he returned to Mexico with Orizaba aged 28. He played well on the odd occasion, the glimpses of the youth with so much potential shining through. But then came the aforementioned infamous incident in Cabo. Photographed leaving a nightclub, with white powder under his nostrils and arms linked with two transgender prostitutes. His position as a player at Orizaba became untenable.

So now he found himself sat in a run down house in Tijuana. He would often gaze off into the horizon, to land of the free, the USA. Often it was to watch the stolen cars be moved across the border into Mexico to be stripped and sold. Other times it was to fantasise about the quantities of low grade narcotics he could sell to gullible Americans.

Sat in the office of Miguel Alejandro Ramos, Xavier felt a bit self conscious. A year had passed since he had been disgraced and now he sat in the chairman of Tijuana’s office, hoping to persuade the man to allow him to return to football. Miguel wasn’t really a football man, he was a business man. And he knew Xavier would turn a few eyebrows given a chance to coach his team. Thus, the focus of attention would be on the club.

“Xavier, I want to know what you will offer to this club.”

“Well I’m honest. I’m the sort of guy that when offered a backhander by somebody, I always make sure that my employer is aware and gets his fair share.”

Miguel roared with laughter, Xavier tried to think exactly what joke he had told.

“You see, I have always liked those with a good sense of humour. I think that you are just the kind of ‘personality’ we need around here.”

“So I take it I’ve got the gig then?”

Miguel rose to his feet and offered an outstretched hand which Xavier shook.

“Well if you want to put it like that Xavier then yes, I would like you to lead my club.”

“Maravilloso”

Xavier turned to leave, extending his middle finger to push his aviator sunglasses further along his nose and lighting a Marlboro Red. Thoughtfully stroking the wild stubble on his chin, he turned as if suddenly remembering something. He blew out a cloud of lung haemorrhaging blue smoke and put on his best charmingly innocent facial expression.

“No chance of an advance on my wages is there? No? Nevermind”

Cheers Dalbeider :thup:

Xavier had inherited a fairly decent squad of players. Talent was in sporadic measure. The odd quality player here, the odd burro there. They were all marshalled by the imposing figure of Brazilian centre back Flávio. The 32 year old was a veteran of both Brazilian and Mexican top flight football. He had even been capped by Brazil on one occasion, the obvious candidate for the captaincy. Aside from the captain, perhaps the best player in the Tijuana squad was Oscar Carrasco, a 27 year old central midfielder who had just dropped down a division after joining from Morelia.

What follows are Xavier’s initial notes on the players that he had inherited:

Goalkeepers

Leonín Pineda, 23

“On loan from América. Definitely third choice. Really unfit and a bit fat, I know I’m not one to talk but I’m not 23 and I’m not the one who is supposed to be diving around shot stopping. He’s a bit useless.”

Joatham Zamarripa, 26

“One of those keepers that just love to shout at defenders, even when it is his fault when things go wrong. Still, not a bad keeper, I would say second choice.”

Adrián Zermeño, 30

“Easily our best option at goalkeeper. But another nutcase loudmouth and he used to play for Cruz Azul, that’s a shame.”

Defenders

Flávio, 32

“Club captain and international one cap wonder. Great experience in both Brazilian and Mexican football. Played for Montterey and my old club Dorados. Hopefully he will be my right hand man in the playing staff.”

José Milián, 35

“Experienced right back spent the bulk of his career at Necaxa. Past it, if I’m going to be honest. Seems to think he is an important part of the team, this season might be a rude awakening for him.”

Damián Malrrechaufe, 24

“Uruguayan centre back on loan from Danubio. Decent enough. Really tall guy, heads the ball well. Can also play right back.

Armando Gallegos, 22

“Left back and one of the most promising players at the club. One of the players I will look to try and hang on to. Drop out from the Santos Laguna youth team, rumours are Toluca are looking at him. They can keep their distance. Any visiting scout is going to have my pet Rottweiler ‘Mullido’ set on them.”

Ramiro Briseño, 37

“Sure he is an old man but he is still a very capable centre back. Hasn’t really got the legs anymore, but arguably the best man marker in the squad. Useful.”

Javier Robles, 30

“The very definition of the average centre back. Mediocre in every way. And suffice to say a complete [expletive]”

Rojina, 21

“Another player on loan from América. A surprising example of a centre back that can’t tackle. Back up would be optimistic.”

Erick Domínguez, 24

“Incredibly versatile in the sense that he is awful in both defence and midfield. One for the scrapheap.

Angel Paul Condé, 20

“Very good left back, more naturally attacking than Gallegos, but unfortunately not quite as good. Hopefully he will show he has some cojones and fight for a place.”

Midfielders

Francisco Mendoza, 24

“I like this guy a lot because he is from Guadalajara! On loan from Chivas, he has experience playing mainly in the MLS for Chivas USA. Great crosser, good winger and I will look to keep him.”

Omar Rivera, 24

“Played with him at Orizaba. Good guy, competent central midfielder.”

Marco Antonio Jimenez, 28

“Left midfielder and another one hailing from Guadalajara, so top marks there. Good technical qualities but not the quickest of players.”

Oscar Carrasco, 27

“Central midfielder and obviously the most gifted player in the squad. Great passer of the ball, good overall technical quality. Short at 5’6” but can leap like a grasshopper.”

Saúl Mártinez, 25

“Right sided winger. Useless to use the most brutal form of honesty. No technical quality and at 5’4” is ridiculously short. I can put up with Carrasco being a short-arse because he is actually good.”

Juan Carlos Núñez, 26

“One of my three amigos from Guadalajara. A much more competent right winger and good dribbler of the ball.”

Esteban González, 27

“Argentinian attacking midfielder who has played in Switzerland and Colombia. Decent enough player.”

Strikers

Valtencir, 39

“Brazilian forward about to get his Mexican citizenship. Yes he is old as the hills but he is one of our best players. Good finisher, good technique and has amongst the best fitness levels at the club.”

Raul Enríquez, 24

“Decent enough striker. Big old lump, for such a giant he actually leaps in the air to an astonishing height. Good target man.”

Mauro Gerk, 32

“Argentinian, probably our best striker. Has had a stop start career, but there is only room for one slacker in this team and he is the guy running it.”

Rogelio López, 27

“Similar qualities to Valtencir but not quite as good as the old man. Another Santos Laguna drop-out.”

Forty degree heat welcomed the Tijuana players and staff as they took their final training session before the season opener against Durango. Xavier sat at the side of the training pitch, chain smoking and intermittently shouting at players as they breathlessly charged around in the midday heat. As the training session wore on, two players edged in to view. They were late and seemed to be arguing. It was Rojina and Erick Dominguez, two players that Xavier had identified as weak links. Xavier threw his cigarette on the ground and began to set off in their direction.

"Now what the [expletive] is this!?"

He broke in to a sprint.

"What the [expletive] are you two doing and why are you late?"

Rojina and Erick called a ceasefire on their argument and both looked down at the ground in the face of their coach's fury. Erick blurted out an explanation of sorts.

"Well why don't you ask him? Turns out he's been [expleting] my girlfriend. We've been together for two years and two minutes after this piece of [explete] gets here from Mexico City, he's in there like a rat up a drainpipe!"

Xavier rubbed his brow and sighed.

"Look.. I.."

"She said you two were over, hombre. That's not my fault if you can't control your b.."

"Both of you shut the [expletive] up before I do something thouroughly unpleasant. Now, I don't care about any of this, frankly I think the pair of you need to get a life. Don't bring this to my training sessions and certainly don't let it make you late. I'm the only slacker around here and I don't like company. You!"

He thrust his index finger in the direction of Rojina.

"I'll send you back to Mexico City if you even look in my direction for the rest of the year. And you!"

The digit swerved to point at Erick.

"Well, unfortunately we own you so I guess I'll have no choice but to drive you out in to the desert, tie you to a cactus and leave you there for a few days. Presuming you disobey me again of course. Entender?"

The two players seamlessly gulped and nodded in perfect synchronisation.

"Good, now one of you morons run back to the dressing room and get me another pack of cigarettes, rápido!"

Liga de Ascenso Summary - August 2009

”29? He looks about 49!” was an example of the whispered rumblings between some of the players as Xavier took his players through the pre-match warm up in their first game against Durango.

But there needn’t have been so much concern as under the leadership of Xavier, Tijuana blew away Durango in a one sided result. Old man Valtencir opened the scoring in the 4th minute, hitting a shot on the turn and somehow finding a gap between keeper and post. The lead was doubled when Rogelio López intercepted a cross field pass and ran on in to make it 2-0. Xavier was happy to be 2-0 up at the break, but upon the restart Durango came out firing. On 56 minutes they were back in the match. Daniel Torrecillas jinked past Ramiro Briseño and coolly slotted home for 2-1. Tijuana were not about to let this lead slip away though. On 73 minutes, right winger Juan Carlos Núñez found himself in acres of space to nod the ball home for 3-1. And on 80 minutes Valtencir was on hand to smash home a volley from close range to give himself a brace and Tijuana a 4-1 win.

Tijuana next welcomed La Piedad for their first home match of the season and it turned out to be a remarkable match. 39 year old Valtencir got his third of the season by picking up the ball just inside the box and curling the ball inside the far post for 1-0. However in the second half La Piedad scored when Rafael Murguía sent a left foot volley crashing home for 1-1. Tijuana looked a bit shell shocked and on 72 minutes Jorge Rodríguez scored for La Piedad to give the visitors a 2-1 lead. The lead lasted just three minutes when Oscar Carrasco curled a delightful shot past the keeper to make it 2-2. Xavier might have settled for a 2-2 draw but he hadn’t bargained on Marco Antonio Jimenez sending a rasping shot into the net via at least two deflections, in the 93rd minute. It was the last kick of the game as Tijuana won 3-2.

Their next match away to Correcaminos would prove more difficult, they would have to come from behind after Antonio González gave the home side the lead. Tijuana did respond when Francisco Mendoza found himself behind the defence and onside, slotting home for 1-1. Tijuana looked like they were about to seal another comeback when a low drive from Juan Carlos Núñez found its way in. However Correcaminos got a deserved point when Pedro Solís scored to end the match at 2-2.

Lobos BUAP were the next visitors for Tijuana. Rogelio López caused some early problems with his skill and pace and he forced Jorge Joel Cruz into turning the ball into his own net, to give Tijuana the lead. The lead did not last long as Iñigo Rey burst through the defence to equalise. And his pace forced Javier Robles into fouling Rey inside the area, Ismael Espiga converted the penalty to give Lobos the lead. Javier Robles atoned by heading home an equaliser from a corner. However, Lobos would get the win when Espiga got his second of the game with ten minutes remaining, 3-2 the final score.

Tijuana now travelled to León, looking to bounce back from their defeat. Flávio and Mauro Gerk were back from injury and it was Gerk who opened the scoring, beating his man and driving home a great shot on 11 minutes. However, Daniel Silva soon equalised for the home side, taking advantage of a slip from Flávio. León took the lead on the half hour when Issella curled home a free kick. Two minutes later it was 3-1, Fragoso with a thumping finish. It was to get worse in the second half as Parra and Velasco scored goals to send Tijuana crashing to a 5-1 defeat.

Xavier furiously demanded a response, and he got one. A hat-trick from Valtencir and a brace from Francisco Mendoza were enough to comfortably see off Irapuato. The visitors did however, manage to get two consolation goals to make the final score 5-2 to Tijuana. Impressive, as they had been reduced to ten men for much of the game. And they finally finished a hectic August schedule by earning a tough victory over UdeG, a happy return to Guadalajara for Xavier. Francisco Mendoza with the only goal from the penalty spot.

Liga de Ascenso Opening Stage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 3rd   |       | La Piedad     |       | 7     | 4     | 1     | 2     | 11    | 7     | +4    | 13    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | X. Tijuana    |       | 7     | 4     | 1     | 2     | 18    | 15    | +3    | 13    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 5th   |       | Orizaba       |       | 6     | 3     | 3     | 0     | 7     | 2     | +5    | 12    | 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The flash of a dozen cameras blinked into life as Xavier entered the Tijuana press room. The press conference had been pencilled in since Xavier had taken the job. Although, the assembled journalists had been expecting a rather different story to the one that had unfolded. Far from lead Tijuana to the depths of despair, he had had a reasonably good start to life as coach. One journalist summed up the mood with his leading question:

“Xavier, you have had quite a good start to the season with Tijuana. I suppose it is all the more remarkable, given you haven’t been able to rely on José Cuervo to carry your team!?”

There was much raucous laughter from the journalists. Xavier stared, unimpressed at the journalist who had just asked the witty question.

“Well, I’d defy anyone to coach in this league sober. I’ve been playing in it for ten years and I still don’t know what we have to do to get promoted. If that doesn’t drive you to drink I don’t know what will.”

A cacophony of scribbling and clicking pens greeted the response.

“Do you accept that you have done far better than many expected?”

“Not really. Who is ‘many’?”

“Well, a lot of people thought that someone such as yourself might not do a great job as coach.”

Xavier continued to stare and let out a heavy sigh. Much to the amazement of everyone he threw his microphone to the floor and prepared to leave. He had one parting statement:

“Seems like you all have made up your mind, so I’m not gonna do these anymore. No point, We’ll see what happens at the end of the season.”

Liga de Ascenso Summary - September 2009

It was a happy return for Xavier to former club Orizaba. Things were set in motion by Valtencir, the veteran forward pouncing on a rebound just before half time. Tijuana continued to press but were pegged back when Adrián Zermeño, who had returned from injury, misjudged a cross and flapped in to his own net. However, they were not behind for long. Xavier gambled and threw on Mauro Gerk and Marco Antonio Jimenez, the latter was there to poke home a late winner. Tijuana up to second place, however Flávio damaged knee ligaments meaning he would be out for between two and three months.

Tijuana chalked up another good victory, this time at home to Mérida FC. It was a cagey match with very few openings, yet Tijuana once again demonstrate the threat they posed on the wings when Francisco Mendoza fired home at the back post. 1-0 it stayed, however Tijuana lost another key player to injury. Oscar Carrasco tearing a hamstring that meant a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Tijuana were faced with the daunting task of trying to keep Mexican legend Cuauhtémoc Blanco who was back in Mexican football with Veracruz after a spell in Chicago. Much to Xavier’s delight they did just that, but unfortunately at the expense of going up the other end and scoring one themselves. A dull 0-0 draw that perhaps Veracruz deserved to win.

Tijuana finished off the month with a visit to Hermosillo. However it would be a disappointing result for Xavier’s men. Mauro Gerk looked to have got them off to a flier, by nodding home very early on. It would stay that way until late in the second half when Hermosillo finally found some inspiration. A late succession of goals from Alvin Perez, Omar Gomez and Elias Hernandez saw that Tijuana slumped to a 3-1 defeat. However, things were still going well as at the end of September they were in 3rd place

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | Lobos BUAP    |       | 11    | 6     | 5     | 0     | 22    | 10    | +12   | 23    | 
| 2nd   |       | Dorados       |       | 10    | 6     | 3     | 1     | 14    | 5     | +9    | 21    | 
| 3rd   |       | X. Tijuana    |       | 11    | 6     | 2     | 3     | 22    | 19    | +3    | 20    | 

Oscar Carrasco and Flávio were undoubtedly the two best players that Xavier had at the club. Now, they were the two players with the most serious injuries at the club. Xavier went to the physio unit to see how they were doing. When he got there, one was on the treatment table and the other hobbling around on crutches. Overseeing treatment was club physio Carlos Ocaña. He hadn’t had many dealings with the new manager and he looked visibly nervous about coming face to face with the ‘colourful’ character.

Xavier pushed open the doors into the unit and surveyed the situation.

“What’s the damage?”

Ocaña cleared his throat.

“Flávio has strained knee ligaments and Oscar has a torn hamstring, both fairly serious I’m afraid.”

“So, how long should we be expecting to be without them?”

“Well I.....it’s difficult to say....I...I...would say three months.”

That was met by the trademark Xavier de las Coronas smouldering stare. He regarded Ocaña, this man that claimed to be the club physio, this man that didn’t seem to know anything about physiotherapy. He wondered how much the club were paying him.

“You know what? Nevermind, I’ll leave these two in your......capable hands.”

He lit a cigarette.

“Actually, Señor de las Coronas, there is no smoking in this building.”

Xavier turned to look at Ocaña, removed the cigarette from his mouth and dropped it in to the full mug of the physio’s coffee, taking care to circulate a lungful of smoke in the room before his departure.

Liga de Ascenso Summary – October/November 2009

Tijuana may have been suffering from injuries to their best players, but they certainly did not show it when they faced fellow promotion contenders Dorados. Tijuana took the lead through Francisico Mendoza, the winger heading home from close range at the far post. Dorados’ cause was not helped when Francisco Espinoza received a red card for a nasty challenge. However, the visitors did equalise when Mariñho Ledesma scored a great counter attacking goal. Dorados looked to have claimed a decent point, but there was late drama when Marco Antonio Jimenez slotted home a 92nd minute winning penalty.

It wasn’t to be such an impressive performance when they travelled to league leaders Necaxa. A brave showing saw the score remain at 0-0 at half time. However, a brace from Alejandro Castillo just after half time broke down the Tijuana resistance. Rogelio López pulled one back late on, but goals from Jorge Orozco and Javier Saavedra sealed a 4-1 win for Necaxa.

Tijuana had the perfect chance to bounce back against Pumas Morelos and they did just that. Juan Carlos Núñez got the ball rolling early on with a great goal and that was soon followed by a brace from Mauro Gerk and a first ever Tijuana goal for the Argentinian Esteban González. 4-0 at half time, Tijuana in cruise control. Valtencir continued his impressive run of scoring, the 39 year old getting the final goal in a 5-0 demolition.

It turned out to be a much harder game when they travelled to CA Hidalgo. The only goal of the game, a spectacular effort from range and his first ever senior goal for left back Armando Gallegos. Esteban González went from hero to zero as he followed up scoring against Pumas Morelos by getting sent off in this game, it finished 1-0.

Tijuana sealed second place and a spot in the knockout phase by beating Potros Neza. It was another good day for Mauro Gerk, he scored twice early on. Potros Neza were not going to lie down though and they forged their way back into the match with goals from Oscar Uscanga and Omar Cervantes. However, all resistance was crushed, first when Ramiro Briseño headed home from a corner and then by Valtencir who scored a wonderful volley to seal a 4-2 win.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Pl    | Necaxa        |       | 16    | 10    | 3     | 3     | 27    | 10    | +17   | 33    | 
| 2nd   | Pl    | X. Tijuana    |       | 16    | 10    | 2     | 4     | 35    | 26    | +9    | 32    | 
| 3rd   | Pl    | León          |       | 16    | 9     | 4     | 3     | 32    | 10    | +22   | 31    | 
| 4th   | Pl    | Hermosillo    |       | 16    | 9     | 4     | 3     | 26    | 16    | +10   | 31    | 
| 5th   | Pl    | Dorados       |       | 16    | 9     | 3     | 4     | 19    | 9     | +10   | 30    | 
| 6th   | Pl    | Veracruz      |       | 16    | 8     | 4     | 4     | 27    | 15    | +12   | 28    | 
| 7th   | Pl    | Durango       |       | 16    | 8     | 4     | 4     | 17    | 15    | +2    | 28    | 
| 8th   |       | Lobos BUAP    |       | 16    | 6     | 7     | 3     | 24    | 17    | +7    | 25    | 
| 9th   |       | Correcaminos  |       | 16    | 6     | 6     | 4     | 23    | 16    | +7    | 24    | 
| 10th  |       | Orizaba       |       | 16    | 6     | 6     | 4     | 21    | 17    | +4    | 24    | 
| 11th  |       | Irapuato      |       | 16    | 7     | 2     | 7     | 19    | 21    | -2    | 23    | 
| 12th  |       | La Piedad     |       | 16    | 6     | 3     | 7     | 16    | 17    | -1    | 21    | 
| 13th  |       | Mérida FC     |       | 16    | 4     | 2     | 10    | 11    | 21    | -10   | 14    | 
| 14th  |       | C.A. Hidalgo  |       | 16    | 1     | 10    | 5     | 10    | 17    | -7    | 13    | 
| 15th  |       | UdeG          |       | 16    | 3     | 1     | 12    | 11    | 29    | -18   | 10    | 
| 16th  |       | Potros Neza   |       | 16    | 1     | 2     | 13    | 14    | 36    | -22   | 5     | 
| 17th  |       | Pumas Morelos |       | 16    | 1     | 1     | 14    | 3     | 43    | -40   | 4     | 

• 3 weeks later...

Hidalgo the very definition of the draw specialists there!

They had done it. They weren’t quite sure how they had done it. However, they had exceeded expectations by actually doing well. Now, a Quarter Final tie against Durango beckoned, perhaps further knockout ties. What lay in store at the end of all that? Well, no-one knew exactly. Maybe promotion? You would be hard pushed to find someone at the club who understood the way the league works, least of all the manager.

Xavier had gotten into the spirit of things upon securing second position for the team. He indulged in a week long session of raucous festivities in a local bar. Blinded by a fusion of alcohol, nicotine and drugs he began to spiral out of the realms of time. He found himself slowly coming to, sunlight peeking through the blinds of the empty bar. His head was pulsating with pain and his mouth was dry as an incredibly dry thing. He blinked, wiped the perspiration from his brow and looked down at his hand grasping an empty bottle of something or other. He peered at the label, the letters almost literally jumping out at him:

J - O - S - E - C - U - E - R - V - O - E - S - P - E - C - I - A - L

He instantly retched. This was followed by a loud rapping at the door.

“Boss? Boss?”

“Who the hell are you and what do you want?”

“It’s Oscar, we are playing Durango in an hour, no-one knows where you have been. Are you coming or what?”

“Oh Jesus! Hang on, I’ll get my car keys.”

Liga de Ascenco Opening Stage Quarter Final

X. Tijuana vs. Durango

17 matches had come down to the all or nothing knock-out phase. Necaxa had been given a bye in to the Semi Finals by way of coming top. That meant that Tijuana would face seventh placed Durango. Tijuana would have the away leg first and they looked to take an immediate advantage. An early handball from Cardenas gave them the chance to do just that from the penalty spot. Fransisco Mendoza rolled the penalty home to give Tijuana a 1-0 lead. However the lead didn’t last long. Erick Marín got free of the defenders and found himself tucking away the easiest of finishes to equalise. Tijuana were determined to give themselves as good an advantage going in to the second leg as possible. Veteran Valtencir smashed home to make it 2-1, the 39 year old’s 10th goal of the season. On the stroke of half time, Durango would score another equaliser against the run of play. Rodrigo Folle hitting a half volley from a seemingly impossible angle to make it 2-2 in first half stoppage time.

Valtencir must have hoped he had at last put to bed any resistance when he curled in a delicious side foot shot early in the second half, making it 3-2. However, Edgar Garcia got a deserved late equaliser after Durango had heaped the pressure on Tijuana throughout the second half. A pin-point pass helping him to beat the offside trap to score, ending the tie 3-3.

Tijuana must have been confident of getting the result they needed when they welcomed Durango back to the Estadio Caliente. However it was to be a nightmare afternoon for Tijuana summed up by the nature of the opening goal. With fifteen minutes gone, goalkeeper Juan de Dios Ibarra pumped a deep free kick forward that somehow evaded everyone, ending up in the net for 1-0. Not surprisingly his first professional goal. Juan Carlos Núñez settled Tijuana down by scoring a calm finish in front of goal for 1-1.

However, late on Durango got their reward for playing with such pluck and determination. The move that would eliminate Tijuana started in the most remarkable fashion. An attempted headed backpass from Erick Marin clattered against the crossbar, Marin himself collected the lucky rebound and sprung an attack down the wing. Gallegos lost the runner and when the cross eventually came in, Edgar Garcia headed home to end Tijuana’s hopes.

Durango win 5-4 on aggregate

Ramos was angry. True, he had not expected his club to be in the position they had earned. However, he was still haunted by the visions of his manager crashing his car in the staff and player’s car park, with star midfielder Oscar Carrasco hanging on for dear life on the hood. All of this taking place fifteen minutes before the first leg against Durango. Xavier had staggered drunkenly in to the changing room and barked some instructions. The rest is history, they eventually slumped to defeat to a frankly inferior side.

Now Xavier sat before his employer once again, this time he had some explaining to do. Ramos was red in the face, he delivered his opening accusation.

"You were drunk!”

“I wasn’t drunk.........at the second leg.”

Ramos sighed.

"Look I know your methods are shall we say unorthodox, but I can’t let you get away with this, it is unprofessional behaviour.”

“Okay, I hold my hands up, I got carried away.”

“Carried away? You almost killed Oscar!”

“He was okay, only cuts and bruises, there wasn’t space for him in the car.”

Ramos looked exasperated; he couldn’t deny it was the publicity he craved for the club. Tijuana had done wonderfully and with such a character at the helm, attendances were up. However they were still in debt.

"Look, consider yourself warned. I can’t have this happen anymore. You’ve got a tough time ahead, we don’t have the money to bring anyone new in, so you are going to have to work with what you have got in the new year.”

“Great, anything else?”

For all his unprofessionalism and his volatile nature, sometimes you couldn’t help but like Xavier’s alternative take on life, the fact that Tijuana were broke just didn’t seem to fluster him.

Archived