A New Avenue

Wag

Bradford & West Yorkshire Sport

Monday 28th June 2004

Avenue sack Shutt

Carl Shutt has had his contract as Bradford (Park Avenue) manager terminated after leading the club to a place in the Conference North for the coming season.

Bradford (Park Avenue) chairman Frank Thornton said: "It comes with great sadness that we are announcing this news but felt it was to be in the clubs best interests to appoint a new man for the coming season. We'd like to thank Carl for all he has done for us during his time at the club but feel that in the present climate we need someone with a bit more ambition."

Shutt who had previously managed Kettering Town played up front for Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City, Leeds United, Manchester City, Birmingham City, Bradford City and Darlington during a career that spanned almost four-hundred games and seventy-five goals.

Shutt said: "I'm deeply disappointed to have lost my job as I felt that I could really take this club places but unfortunately the chairman doesn't seem to see things as I do, so I'm going to have to fulfil my dream of managing in the league elsewhere."

Monday 28th June 2004

Avenue sack Shutt

Carl Shutt has had his contract as Bradford (Park Avenue) manager terminated after leading the club to a place in the Conference North for the coming season.

Bradford (Park Avenue) chairman Frank Thornton said: "It comes with great sadness that we are announcing this news but felt it was to be in the clubs best interests to appoint a new man for the coming season. We'd like to thank Carl for all he has done for us during his time at the club but feel that in the present climate we need someone with a bit more ambition."

Shutt who had previously managed Kettering Town played up front for Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City, Leeds United, Manchester City, Birmingham City, Bradford City and Darlington during a career that spanned almost four-hundred games and seventy-five goals.

Shutt said: "I'm deeply disappointed to have lost my job as I felt that I could really take this club places but unfortunately the chairman doesn't seem to see things as I do, so I'm going to have to fulfil my dream of managing in the league elsewhere."

Friday 2nd July 2004

Horsfall Stadium Contenders

Following the decision by Bradford (Park Avenue) to sack manager Carl Shutt we have decided to take a look at the speculation concerning those who could be about to replace him.

Shutt was a popular man having lead the club into this seasons Conference North but whoever takes over faces a tough task due to the clubs well known lack of funding as well as a skeleton squad that currently possesses no goalkeepers. With time running out before the season starts the club would do well to act fast. We take a look at the four leading contenders to take over at a club already thought to be facing an uphill battle to survive:

~~~~

John McGinlay

The former Bolton Wanderers and Bradford City striker has enjoyed some success in his fledgling managerial career with Midlands clubs Ilkeston Town and Gresley Rovers but now finds himself out of work so a move to Bradford PA could be right up his street. A fine finisher in his day he's always made his mark wherever he's gone.

~~~~

Jamie Waggett

A virtual unknown and a surprise choice you might think but the twenty-nine-year-old has been spotted at the Horsfall Stadium several times over the past few days. Has previous experience of the area having coached at first Bradford City and then Huddersfield Town but currently finds himself without a club after his last club was forced into cost cutting exercises. Likely to be viewed with a lot of scepticism by the fans due to his lack of management experience and could be viewed as somewhat of a risk, should he be appointed.

~~~~

Paul Stoneman

The thirty-one-year-old Halifax Town youth-team coach was one of the first names mentioned when the job became available and for good reason. He's an experienced campaigner who still represents Town as a central defender on occasion and one who knows the local non-league circuit very well indeed having represented his current club for nearly ten years. Our favourite to get the post, should he apply.

~~~~

Ian Ormondroyd

A useful winger / striker during his playing career who was easily recognisable due to his height. Represented Derby County, Bradford City and Aston Villa amongst others during his time before retiring from the game to become a scout and then community officer at Bradford. Not thought to be interested in the post of manager but his name has been doing the rounds with some Park Avenue fans.

Tuesday 6th July 2004

Unknown set for talks

The virtually unknown figure of Jamie Waggett is set to enter into talks with Bradford (Park Avenue) about becoming manager, should he agree to the clubs terms.

The former coach had recently been doing some scouting for Huddersfield but said of the news: "As soon as I heard there was a vacancy I didn't hesitate to get in touch, I've been looking to start my managerial career for the last few months, after all I think I did my apprenticeship at Bradford before my time their was cut short."'

Chairman Frank Thornton added: "We can confirm we have entered into talks with Jamie with regards to him becoming the new manager but he's not the only person we've talked to. We hope to make an announcement within the next few days, but you have to remember that whoever we appoint it will be with the clubs best interest at heart."

The club also revealed that they had received twelve applications for the job but this has been cut down to a short list of three. One of whom is believed to be a member of the current first team squad - reputedly - twenty-eight-year-old defensive midfielder Neil Grayston, but it remains to be seen if the club will choose to promote from inside.

Monday 12th July 2004

Waggett takes the reins

As had been predicted Jamie Waggett has been appointed as the new manager of Bradford (Park Avenue) following a prolonged stage of interviews after the sacking of previous manager Carl Shutt.

Waggett, who is twenty-nine years old, will officially take charge of his new club tomorrow and said on hearing the news of his appointment: "I am absolutely delighted to be getting the chance to become involved with Bradford PA. I feel honoured to be asked to a part of the club and will do my utmost to do everything I can to insure my time at the club, which I hope will be long, is a success. I am looking forward to the challenges that I will face."

Chairman Frank Thornton said: "Jamie wasn't who we were initially expecting to appoint but as soon as we began talks with him we could sense we were onto something special. He has real plans for this club and isn't afraid to get stuck in on or off the field. We feel we've made the best appointment we could at the present time and hope this is the start of a new and exciting period in Bradford Park Avenue's future."

Waggett who is something of an unknown outside of this area had been a promising central defender when his career started but was cruelly forced to retire due to a car crash at twenty-one which left him with a slight limp. His passenger, a fellow player wasn't so lucky and died from his injuries something which Waggett is thought to blame himself for, even to this day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Can I ask Wag, did you edit Thornton in or are you just pretending he's there? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just pretending. The game is as it is from the box.

I'm guessing that where a club has no recognised board then it stays that way like it did in previous games? Anyone know for definate..

Cheers for the other comments icon_smile.gif

(taken from Bradford & West Yorkshire Sport)

Bradford (Park Avenue) - A Brief History

Bradford Association Football Club was formed in 1907 and used the name of its ground, Park Avenue, to distinguish itself from Bradford City AFC and Bradford Northern RLFC.

As Bradford (Park Avenue) it became the only club with brackets in its name ever to play in the Football League!

Entering the Football League in 1908, the club were members of the First Division from 1914 until 1921. During this time the club's traditional colours of red, amber and black (which have been used throughout most of its history) were changed to green and white, which are the colours adopted by the modern-day club.

Many famous players graced the Park Avenue turf during the club's Football League heyday, including Albert Geldard, the youngest player to play in the Football League when he turned out for the club in 1929, Ron Greenwood (later to become manager of England), Kevin Hector (the Football League's leading scorer in season 1965-66 who went on to win England caps and a First Division Championship medal with Derby County) and, most famous of all, Len Shackleton, the 'Clown Prince Of Soccer'", who was one of the most outstanding characters in English football in the 1940s and 50s.

However in the late 1960s the club struggled to compete in the Fourth Division, and was voted out of the Football League in 1970.

After four seasons in the Northern Premier League, during which the famous old ground was sold, the club was liquidated.

The supporters vowed to keep the old name alive, and played in the Bradford Sunday League under the club's name. By 1978, largely as a result of the initiative of current Vice President Bob Robinson, a team was formed to try to regain an eventual place in the Football League.

In the 16 years since then, 'Avenue' have risen up through eight levels of the Non League Pyramid to sit only two further promotions from regaining that coveted place in the Football League, and currently play at the Horsfall Stadium in south Bradford, less than two miles from the original Park Avenue ground. The Horsfall Stadium has the look of an athletics venue due to a running track and the fact that other than the covered 5,000 seater main stand the rest of the ground is open to the elements.

Tuesday 13th July 2004

My first day in charge saw me meet the back-room staff and the playing squad. First impressions - not only is the club numerically lacking, the ability of both sets is, shall we say a bit limited

The back-room staff is made up of coach Steve Jones, physio Steven Harper and scout Michael Peters, none of whom, with perhaps the exception of Harper have much of a chance of surviving beyond this season at the club and I will definitely be looking to bring in my own people. This process will start as soon as I receive some applications for the positions of assistant manager, coach and scout all of which I have made available, I've advertised for all roles using both the local and national press.

Now onto the playing squad. As I said previously - numerically it's lacking, but from my first training session it also appears we are thin on the ground in terms of quality. The club currently has a thirteen strong squad of semi-professionals who vary in both experience and ability. Strangely it contains no goalkeepers, which is most alarming so it will be my first task to find a goalkeeper for the coming season, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Having such a small squad means that the current wage budget is well under the anticipated mark which means that although funds are tight I will be able to make some manoeuvres in the transfer market should sufficient targets be found. My current view is that the squad lacks depth and I will be looking to address this fact as soon as possible, I hope to be working with a squad of twenty-two players come the start of the season, although where they are going to come from I do not yet know.

The Current Squad (Part One)

Defenders

Ryan Crossley (D L - ENG - 24 y/o)

Left footed defender, signed in July 2003 from Wakefield & Emley, where he had been Player of the Year the previous season. Relatively quick, committed and aggressive but likely to start the season as a reserve.

Dean Jones (D C - ENG - 26 y/o)

Signed from Belper Town before the 2003/4 season. Started his playing career with Barnsley before joining Frickley Athletic and Ilkeston Town. Looks a solid player, good tackler and likes to put himself about. Will start the season as a first choice.

Adam Oldham (D C - ENG - 19 y/o)

Youngest player on the clubs books and also the most promising. Signed from Barnsley at the end of the 2003/04 season. Will be a first choice this season. Naturally fit, good in the air and also the tackle.

James Stansfield (D C - ENG - 25 y/o)

Formerly with Huddersfield, Halifax and Ossett Town. James is a good header of the ball so is always likely to be a threat from set pieces but is likely to be back-up player for much of the season.

Ben Cressey (D/DM L - ENG - 20 y/o)

Versatile defender, who progressed through the ranks at Chesterfield before being surprisingly released and subsequently snapped up by Avenue. Needs to work on his defensive play but going forward he could be a threat for us due to his pace and crossing ability - something which made him stand out during training, he has a sweet left foot.

Part Two

Midfielders

Neil Grayston (DM RC - ENG - 28 y/o)

Now in his second spell at the Avenue having previously joined from Bradford City before spells at Southport and Halifax bought him back. He'll be my captain and I would also like to add him to the coaching staff but for now he's content to carry on solely as a player. Committed, determined and naturally fit he's the perfect defensive midfielder for this level.

David Donaldson (M C - ENG - 25 y/o)

An aggressive central player who is tenacious in the tackle and good at going forward and getting into the box. Has league experience with Bradford City but has lost his way in recent years.

Craig Smith (M C - ENG - 20 y/o)

Formerly with Halifax Town. Played in New Zealand during the 2003 season. Scorer of some spectacular long-range goals, including the Internet Goal of the Season 2003/4. The kind of midfielder every club needs, basically he's a bit of an all rounder and I'll be looking for him to get amongst the goals as well as put himself about in the centre of midfield.

Andrew Quinn (AM RC - ENG - 24 y/o)

An attacking midfielder or wingback player who began his career at Sheffield Wednesday before being bought as a teenager for a fee of £75,000 by Leeds United, where he played alongside Kewell and Smith in Leeds' all conquering youth side, before being released in 1998. He joined Gainsborough Trinity from conference side Scarborough in January 2000. Player of the Season in 2002/3, and Internet Player of the Season 2003/4. Decent wide man who should get plenty of time on the flank where I hope he'll create some chances for others. Doesn't look to possess the strength to play in a more central role.

Danny Walsh (AM C - ENG - 25 y/o)

Signed from Kettering Town in November 2002. Started his career with Oldham Athletic, and has also played for Chesterfield. Determined, strong, aggressive and good in the air he'll be looking to cement a position in our midfield having lost his way in recent years.

Part Three

Forwards

Ben Jones (S C - ENG - 21 y/o)

Joined Avenue before the start of this season. A former trainee at Bradford City, Ben has played for Farsley Celtic and Gainsborough Trinity, and spent season 2003/4 in the League of Wales with Aberystwyth Town, where his goals helped the club qualify for the UEFA Cup. Fast abrasive player who'll need to improve his finishing but looks to have the potential to do so and will hopefully form a strong threesome with the other two strikers at the club.

Steve Oleksewycz (S C - ENG - 21 y/o)

Joined Avenue in August 2003. Previously played for Halifax Town and Ossett Town. Leading goalscorer in season 2003/4. Likely to start the season on bench, although a good pre-season could change my mind. Good pace, decent finisher - solid.

Allan Pearce (S C - NZL (5 caps / 2 goals) - 21 y/o)

Previously with Barnsley and Lincoln City, and has 12 caps for New Zealand at under-23 level, being joint highest scorer in his country's 2004 Olympic Qualifying group competition. Possibly the clubs biggest asset, he'll need to live up to my billing to help us survive this season. Perhaps better as an all round striker than the other two but lacks something of a cutting edge in front of goal, although his recent performances for New Zealand gives me hope that he has improved on that front.

Part Four

Thoughts:

Apart from the obvious lack of a goalkeeper I think we need a right back or two, another central defender, a left sided midfielder and another striker. Although should a player come up who will obviously improve the standard of the squad I'll be doing my utmost to bring them in, even if it means moving some of the current squad out.

Hopefully I'll be able to bring in a few players before the season starts but with a few friendlies in the next few days it looks like I'll have to use what's currently here until then.

If a 28 year old Scots striker called Jason Young calls on you, dont be put off by the fact he looks rubbish icon_wink.gif

(Although hes older than that now anyway).

Its a bit crappy research not to have the goalie in, or has he left them irl. I know they have (had) a yank?

Wednesday 14th July 2004

Bradford Park Avenue 0-3 Welling United

Just fifty-three people turned up to see 'Avenue' fall to a disappointing defeat in their first pre-season game of the new campaign.

Conference South side Welling twice struck in the opening ten minutes of the first half through Lee Spiller and Phil Collins to go into the break coasting and increased their lead late in the second half through a Jamie Day penalty.

For 'Avenue' Allan Pearce and Ben Jones both went close in either half, but overall, it was a very disjointed performance and one that left debutant manager Jamie Waggett bemoaning a lack of preparation time as well as his strikers finishers.

Bradford PA: A Trialist, James Stansfield, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham,Dean Jones, Ben Cressey, Andrew Quinn, Neil Grayston, Danny Walsh, Allan Pearce, Ben Jones

The club also confirmed that David Jarrett (22-years-old) and Rob Campkin (33-years-old) had joined the club as scouts.

Thursday 15th July 2004

Waggett makes first signing

Bradford (Park Avenue) today revealed they had captured the signing of nineteen-year-old Bradford City right back Craig Bentham on a one-year loan deal.

The youngster who is yet to make an appearance for his home town side was said to be extremely excited at the prospect of getting some first team experience.

Meanwhile, out-of-favour Sheffield Wednesday striker Jon Shaw, twenty, has rejected the chance to join 'Avenue', stating that he didn't want to leave the Owls and if he did then a move to this level would be extremely detrimental to his career.

Friday 16th July 2004

Another Bantam comes aboard

Following the capture of Craig Bentham from Bradford City yesterday, 'Avenue' have now also concluded the signing of another one of their youngsters.

Nineteen-year-old striker Kevin Sanasy was said to be delighted at sealing a year-long-loan deal with the Avenue. Sanasy is renowned for his pace and aggression, which should make him an exciting player to watch in the Conference North this season. Sanasy has so far scored one goal in six appearances for his parent club.

His new manager said: "Kevin will give us another option up front. I'm delighted to have signed him and hope to bring in a couple of other players before the season starts."

Saturday 17th July 2004

Third Bantam On Board

Following on from the capture of Sanasy and Bentham from Bradford City Jamie Waggett has today completed a third season long loan deal with League One side. The player Tom Kearney.

The 22-year-old defensive midfielder joined Bradford from Everton in 2001, but he has so far failed to make his mark, playing just twenty-six games so far. He said: "I'm glad to be getting the chance to show what I can do, even at this level."

Sunday 18th July 2004

Bradford PA 2-2 Manchester City Reserves

A much improved Bradford Park Avenue take the blue side of Manchester all the way but have to settle for a draw.

Avenue began brightly but it was City who scored first through the impressive Lee Croft, on the half hour, but striker Kevin Sanasy, making his debut, soon hit back with a low drive from a pass by strike partner Allan Pearce before doubling his tally shortly before half-time with a sweetly struck half-volley from a long ball by Andrew Quinn to send Avenue into the break leading 2-1.

Almost straight from the restart Croft was again on the score sheet, curling home a twenty yard strike to equalise. It was to prove the final goal of the game but Avenue spurned several chances to regain the lead, whilst keeping City at bay.

Bradford PA: A Trialist; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, James Stansfield; Andrew Quinn, Ben Cressey, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce

Wednesday 21st July 2004

Bradford PA 2-1 Newport County

Jamie Waggett saw his side win their first game in his third in charge as loan signing Kevin Sanasy again struck twice.

Sanasy had opened the scoring in the fortieth minute, heading home a Ryan Crossley cross to give Avenue a half time lead and then minutes after half-time collecting a pass from Allan Pearce to rifle home a second.

Midfielder Anthony Pulis pulled one back for Newport late on but the result was never really in doubt in what was an assured and confident display from the home team.

Although only a friendly the win came as something of a bonus what with Avenue fielding defender James Stansfield as their goalkeeper, such is the crisis at Horsfall Park.

Bradford PA: James Stansfield; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn, Ben Cressey, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce

Friday 23rd July 2004

Duo sign on

Bradford Park Avenue has added two more players to their squad with the signing of Derby County's Kristoffer Weckström and free agent Darren Kelly.

Weckström, a left winger with five caps for Finland's under 21 team looked to be set for a bright future with the Rams, but in recent years injuries have taken their toll and the youngster has fallen out of favour. The twenty-one year old said: "I'm delighted to be coming to the Horsfall Stadium and relishing the prospect of getting some first team football. I'm here for a year and I hope to get a taste for winning games whilst I'm here."

The signing of Weckström means Avenue have now filled their quota for players on season long loans.

Also joining the club was former Ipswich Town youngster Darren Kelly, twenty. The Irish goalkeeper had been set for a move back to his native country but didn't hesitate to agree a one year contract when Avenue offered him a deal.

Manager Jamie Waggett said: "I'm absolutely delighted to finally get a decent goalkeeper on board, at such a young age I hope Darren will grow as the club does. I see a bright future for him here, should he live up to his undoubted potential."

Saturday 24th July 2004

Porthmadog 2-4 Bradford PA

Kevin Sanasy made it six goals in three games as Avenue somehow threw away a two goal half-time lead before coming back into the game with storming late display.

Sanasy's first came 25 minutes in, he broke free of the last defender to poke home, then Tom Kearney powerfully headed the second from a wicked cross by débutante Kris Weckstrom to make it 2-0 at half-time.

After the break Porthmadog struck through Carl Owen and Gareth Caughter but when Sanasy reclaimed the lead for Avenue after drilling home a pass from Pearce it only looked like there would be one winner. Neil Grayston completed the scoring by clipping a stunning thirty-yard strike past the 'keeper with twenty minutes to go.

Bradford PA: Darren Kelly; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn (Steve Oleksewycz '61), Kristoffer Weckström, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce (Ben Jones '61)

Monday 26th July 2004

Youngster gets contract

Northern Irish teenager Stephen Kidd has been handed a two-year contract with Bradford (Park Avenue) following a successful trial at the club.

The Seventeen-year-old, who is expected to feature sporadically this season can play in either central midfielder or as a forward. Boss Jamie Waggett said: "I personally have known about Stephen for quite some time now so I didn't hesitate to ask him to come over for a few weeks. I'm glad he's decided to stay and I hope he'll be with us for a long time."

Another player who could be joining is twenty-two-year-old former Bohemians striker Alan Thomas. The Irishman has joined the club on a months trial in the hope of winning a contract and could feature in tomorrow nights game at home to Luton.

Tuesday 27th July 2004

Bradford PA 3-2 Luton Town

Avenue made it three wins in a row today with a great display of attacking football, it could however, has been very different had their league one opponents taken advantage of an early lead.

Luton opened the scoring with virtually their first attack. Young right back Craig Bentham was adjudged to have fouled Steve Howard in the penalty area after just twenty-one seconds, the Luton striker then picked himself up and comfortably dispatched the spot-kick. Avenue then found their feet and hit back just before the half hour.

Kevin Sanasy turning the ball home after a header from strike partner Alan Thomas had caused havoc in the Luton penalty area. Just a few minutes later they were in front. Sanasy was again involved but this time he was the provider. First he drew 'keeper Marlon Beresford before squaring the ball into the path of the onrushing Ryan Crossley who comfortably dispatched the ball into an unguarded net. However, the lead didn't last as on the stroke of half-time Russell Perrett rose highest to power home a Paul Underwood cross.

The second half was very much something of a disjointed affair as Luton made full use of their substitutions, while Avenue chose not to. It was perhaps something to do with this cohesion that meant that Avenue regained the lead mid-way through the half. Winger Kris Weckström caused problems on the left and after leaving his marker on his backside teased a perfectly flighted cross to the back post, it couldn't have been weighted any better and was met sweetly by right sided midfielder Andrew Quinn whose first time volley nestled into the top corner leaving the 'keeper stranded.

Bradford PA: Darren Kelly; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn, Kristoffer Weckström, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Alan Thomas

Wednesday 28th July 2004

Assistant announced

Bradford (Park Avenue) have today revealed the signing of thirty-five-year-old former Motherwell, Dundee United, Dunfermline and Partick Thistle player Jamie Dolan on a dual contract.

The Scottish defensive midfielder, who can also play as a centre back, if needed, has agreed terms on a three year contract and is said to be delighted at the chance to work alongside Jamie Waggett. He said: "I've known Jamie for a while now, we met whilst we were doing our coaching badges and have kept in touch since. There was a chance for me to go elsewhere about a month or so and I immediately contacted to ask him to be my assistant, should I have got the role, so as soon as Jamie told me about Bradford Park Avenue I was virtually on the plane as soon as the phone-call had finished"

He added: "Being thirty-five I know that I'm coming towards the end of my playing career but I think I can do a job if needed in either midfield or defence, should I be called upon that is. I would like to say that this is likely to be my last season as a player though."

Friday 30th July 2004

Waggett signs defender

Bradford (Park Avenue) has completed the signing of John Paul Duncliffe on a free transfer, though the right back isn't expected to feature in tonights game against Notts County.

Duncliffe, who was formerly with Peterborough, was released at the end of last season and has since been a free agent. The twenty-three-year-old Dubliner should provide competition at right back alongside Craig Bentham, has signed a one year contract.

Friday 30th July 2004

Bradford PA 2-2 Notts County

The 'Avenue' finished their pre-season matches with a home draw but had to twice come from behind in a performance which manager Jamie Waggett described as ample.

Notts County opened the scoring after just two minutes, former Derby County striker Marvin Robinson racing clear of the defence to clip the ball beyond 'keeper Darren Kelly. He was to prove to be a constant thorn in the Avenue's side but one who was fortunately kept out for the rest of the game.

However, Avenue didn't have to wait long before getting an equaliser. Kris Weckström drove past his marker before cutting the ball back intelligently to Neil Grayston, the captain sensing a goal, strode forward to stroke the ball first time past the 'keeper. From then on the game became a scrappy affair but County regained a goal advantage just before half time. Shane McFaul darting onto a David Pipe cross to smash home from inside the box.

Avenue then worked hard to get back into the game, causing County a few problems but had to wait until late on to draw level. Tom Kearney scorching a volley past the 'keeper from another Weckström cross.

Bradford PA: Darren Kelly; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn, Kristoffer Weckström, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Alan Thomas

BBC Sport

Sunday 1st August 2004

Conference North Guide (Part Five)

Bradford (Park Avenue)

Nickname: 'Avenue'

Ground: Horsfall Stadium

Capacity: 5,000

Manager: Jamie Waggett

In:

Darren Kelly, Stephen Kidd, Jamie Dolan, John Paul Duncliffe (all frees), Craig Bentham, Kevin Sanasy, Tom Kearney (all from Bradford City - Loan) & Kris Weckström (Derby County - Loan)

Out:

None

BBC Sport verdict:

Part-time status will always be a handicap but new manager Jamie Waggett seems to have assembled a reasonable group of players for the new campaign. Pre season results have been encouraging and he expects the squad to go into the new season firing on all cylinders.

However, the club has a small squad and should injury or suspension rob them of one or more of their better players they could find themselves, as predicted, in a relegation battle.

Key man:

Kevin Sanasy

Wednesday 11th August 2004

Irish duo arrive

Bradford (Park Avenue) today finalised the signing of Irish duo Mark O' Donnell and Neil Bennett on two-year-contracts.

O' Donnell is a twenty-one-year-old striker who for the past two seasons has appeared infrequently for Finn Harps. He was snapped up despite interest from Altrincham and is said to be a pacey striker who will add depth to an Avenue attack that already boasts four other strikers. The move has also led to the club abandoning its move to sign Alan Thomas, a striker who appeared in two friendlies for the club.

Neil Bennett is a twenty-three-year-old goalkeeper who will at first provide back-up to former Ipswich protégé Darren Kelly. He said: "I'm coming in to provide a bit of competition for Darren but he and I both know that the manager is not afraid to make changes, so if I work hard I know I'll eventually get my chance to shine."

Saturday 14th August 2004

Nuneaton Borough 4-1 Bradford PA

Conference North

Avenue crashed to a opening day defeat which made light of any form they'd shown in pre season and saw new manager Jamie Waggett claim he'd never seen such an incompetent defensive display from a side he'd been involved with.

Both sides had gone close before Stuart Whittacker's speculative opener for the home side, on eight minutes, but Avenue hit back shortly afterwards when Allan Pearce powered through a gap in the Boro' defence to slot home. Sadly for the away side Boro' regained their lead just minutes later as Avun Jepthcott coolly rounded Darren Kelly to slot home.

The score remained like this until on the hour when Boro' extended their lead. Mark Noon crashing the ball home after Avenue's defence had been caught in disarray. It was to get worse ten minutes later as Mark Frew capped the scoring with a superb solo effort.

Bradford PA: Darren Kelly; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, Dean Jones (Jamie Dolan '69); Andrew Quinn, Kristoffer Weckström, Tom Kearney (Danny Walsh '69), Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce (Ben Jones '69)

Tuesday 17th August 2004

Conference North

Stafford Rangers 4-2 Bradford PA

Avenue crashed to another defeat in a performance that manager Jamie Waggett described as: "****ing woeful".

Without the injured Craig Bentham and with Kris Weckström on international duty it was a reshuffled Park Avenue side who twice conceded goals in the opening ten minutes. First from a Chris Smith penalty and then a Lee Downes chip from thirty-yards out after 'keeper Darren Kelly had failed to claim a cross.

Avenue did eventually spring to life and hit back through striker Allan Pearce's brave header on thirty-three minutes but as against Nuneaton on the opening day of the season they had soon conceded again. Craig Wilding powering a header past Kelly from a Robin Gibson cross four minutes later.

Somehow though Avenue again found some resolve and gave their manager and fans a bit of hope when Adam Quinn got on the end of a Ryan Crossley cross to nod home, however, Wilding soon restored Stafford's two goal cushion when on the brink of half time he found himself all alone in the penalty area to slot the ball past Kelly.

The second half was a dull affair and but for the sending off of young Avenue central defender Adam Oldham for a second bookable offence with fifteen minutes to go little happened.

Bradford PA: Darren Kelly; John Paul Duncliffe, Ryan Crossley, Adam Oldham, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn, Ben Cressey (Jamie Dolan '45), Tom Kearney (Danny Walsh '75), Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce

Saturday 21st August 2004

Conference North

Bradford PA 2-3 Hinckley

Avenue made it three defeats in a row as Hinckley displayed some clinical finishing to down a despondent home side.

Avenue gave a debut to goalkeeper Neil Bennett and it was he who was the busier of the two 'keepers in the opening period but he was powerless to stop the away side taking a twenty-seventh minute lead. Defender James Stansfield dwelled on the ball on the each of the box and was subsequently dispossessed by Gerard McCargo who smashed the ball home.

It sprung the home side into action though and with thirty-five gone they equalised. Andrew Quinn purposely strode forward before whipping an inch perfect cross into the path of striker Kevin Sanasy. The youngster wasted no time in controlling the ball and dispatching it hard past the 'keeper for his first league goal of the season. However, they couldn't hold or add to the goal before half time and instead found themselves behind again. Stansfield handled in the area and Matt Lewis comfortably slotted it home.

The second half started with a bang. Tom Kearney dispossessed McMahon in the Hinckley midfield before skipping past two defenders and lashing the ball over and wide of the 'keeper for a stunning first league goal for the club. Sadly the lead lasted less than five minutes and as in recent weeks Avenue seem to concede after scoring, this time Adam Willis heading home a Marrinner corner to seal Hinckley's win.

Bradford PA: Neil Bennett; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, James Stansfield, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn, Kristoffer Weckström, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce

Saturday 28th August 2004

Conference North

Bradford PA 4-3 Stalybridge Celtic

Avenue finally got off the mark with a quite superb comeback victory. Manager Jamie Waggett said: "I think some supporters thought we were dead and buried at half time but I know this team has goals in it, we just have to produce it on a more consistent basis."

It seemed obvious from the start that this match was going to be something different. Especially when you see four goals scored in the opening eighteen minutes of play. Stalybridge the recipient of three of them through a Damien Hindle double and a Steve Smith strike, the single Avenue goal coming from Kevin Sanasy.

Avenue looked dead and buried until the game took another turn when Tom Kearney was sent off for a second bookable offence, just minutes before half time. The result of which meant Waggett had to reshuffle his side and the change of formation seemed to do the trick, especially as they scored virtually as soon as the game restarted. Allan Pearce cleverly dinking the ball over the onrushing 'keeper after being played through by Neil Grayston.

The second half started with more of the same but with Stalybridge pushing to extend their lead they left huge amounts of space for the home side to counter, something they did seemingly at will. Right back Craig Bentham screwed a penalty against the post before the home side grabbed a deserved equaliser with fifty-five minutes gone. Man-of-the-match Kris Weckström skipping past his marker to plant a cross onto the balding pate of Grayston who gleefully powered the ball home.

The winner was a thing of pure exuberance. Weckström, Peace and Sanasy exchanged several passes before the ball was slid into the path of the latter. His first touch took him clear of his marker, he steadied himself, drew the 'keeper then unexpectedly darted past him before slotting the ball into an unguarded net.

Bradford PA: Neil Bennett; Craig Bentham, Ryan Crossley, James Stansfield, Dean Jones; Andrew Quinn (Jamie Dolan '45), Kristoffer Weckström, Tom Kearney, Neil Grayston ©; Kevin Sanasy, Allan Pearce (Mark O' Donnell '71)

Saturday 11th September 2004

Lancaster City 2-3 Bradford (Park Avenue) Conference North

We started the month against 21st placed Lancaster, one of the few teams below us, as we currently sat 19th. I'd always maintained that positions at such an early time in the season counted for little but when at half time we were leading by three goals I perhaps began to change my view. Kevin Sanasy opened the scoring with five minutes gone before Allan Pearce made it two before twenty minutes were up and then rounded off the scoring in the first half with his second shortly before the break. Ryan-Zico Black pulled one back for Lancaster with twenty minutes to play then ten minutes later Michael Yates made it 2-3 but fortunately we managed to hang on to claim another win.

Saturday 18th September 2004

Bradford (Park Avenue) 4-3 Southport Conference North

Confidence was high after our away win at the Giant Axe but todays opponents would be a different proposition although as we sat in 15th place before the game we felt no fear against a side who were yet to win a game this season and were currently 20th. We took a 15th minute lead from a powerful Allan Pearce header that came off a Kris Weckström cross before doubling the lead with an acute volley five minutes later. However, Terry Fearns then drew the sides closer together shortly before half time with a clever shot on the turn. He then drew the sides level seconds after half time with a stunning long range effort it was however to be in vain though as Kevin Sanasy scored two absolute stunning efforts in the final ten minutes to seal the win. However, there was still time for Fearns to complete his hat trick but it came with virtually the last kick of the game and Avenue celebrated another win.

Saturday 25th September 2004

Ashton United 1-2 Bradford (Park Avenue) Conference North

We were now 13th in the table and travelled to our 11th placed foes with high hopes of getting another win. These were further fuelled when Kevin Sanasy gave us a half time lead with a thirty-ninth-minute strike, I knew we needed to add to this to have any chance of winning this game but unfortunately it just didn't look like we had it in us and when Colin Alcide headed the sides level with little under ten minutes to go I have to admit I felt we might cave in but from somewhere the players found it in themselves to just push on that little bit further and within three minutes we were back in front. Andrew Quinn cut inside his marker from the right wing and unleashed a superb dipping strike from fully twenty-five yards. It left the 'keeper stranded and crisply found the back of the net for a late winner.

Tuesday 28th September 2004

Bradford (Park Avenue) 2-1 Barrow Conference North

I felt tiredness would be a major issue today but nonetheless was confident we could get something out of the game. We had risen from nineteenth to eight this month but with Barrow unbeaten and second in the table I realised this was perhaps our toughest task yet. We were soon in front though as Andrew Quinn was played in between the left back and left sided centre back, he took a touch before stroking the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper for a fifth minute lead. Craig Bentham then doubled our lead with a thirtieth minute penalty after Kris Weckström had been fouled. Minutes later he had another chance but could only drag his second spot kick wide of the mark. Something I hoped wouldn't hinder us later in the match. Fortunately it didn't and despite Graham Anthony pulling a goal back with a ninety-one minute penalty we were never really troubled by what looked a very ordinary Barrow side.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 2nd October 2004

Bradford (Park Avenue) 2-2 Braintree Town FA Cup Second Qualifying Round

October started with an FA Cup tie at home that we should have won. We fell behind to early goal when David McMahon headed home in the seventh minute but by half time we were leading 2-1. Kevin Sanasy slotted home from a Neil Grayston cross before Andrew Quinn followed up a effort from Kris Weckström to nudge the ball home. However, Braintree drew the sides level when Jeremy Robinson knocked home a cross from the left to set up a replay.

Wednesday 6th October 2004

Braintree Town 4-2 Bradford (Park Avenue) FA Cup Replay

After throwing away our lead on Saturday we went one better tonight as we lost a half time 2-0 lead to crash to a poor defeat. Kevin Sanasy had shot us into an early lead before doubling it with just twenty-two minutes gone and we looked to be coasting towards an easy victory but David McMahon struck back shortly before half time, then Guy Last levelled the tie before stunningly curling a free kick past Bennett to give the home side a lead. We tried in vain to equalise but when Tommy Noble struck again late on we all but conceded defeat and were sadly out.

Tuesday 19th October 2004

Bradford (Park Avenue) 2-0 Worksop Town Conference North

We had a long break after our disappointing cup exit, but I hoped we would hit back against a side who were just a place and a point below us in the table before the match. Kris Weckström picked up a groins strain in a midweek under 21 international for Finland so missed out, Ben Cressey taking his place on the left of midfield. A crowd of over one thousand people turned up today and saw a game high on passion and incident. Both sides had struck an upright before there was a breakthrough. Kevin Sanasy race onto an Allan Pearce thru-ball to slot home in the 73rd minute, it was quickly followed by another goal as Andrew Quinn turned his marker and lashed a superb cross shot into the far corner of the net to secure the win, it was his fifth goal of the season.

Saturday 23rd October 2004

Droylsden 3-1 Bradford (Park Avenue) Conference North

We travelled to the fourteenth placed Bloods looking to build on our recent form which had seen us rise to third in the table. However, it was the home side who had the better of the play in a first half that failed to produce any goals - the mercurial mullet of Steve Brodie twice going close. They wouldn't have to wait long though as Brodie was tripped in the box by Quinn within minutes of the restart - Graham Potter dispatching the resulting penalty with ease. It was soon two, Andrew Lee finishing off a fine passing move as we fell apart in midfield. It seemed to spark something though as with twenty minutes to go Sanasy pulled one back for us but ten minutes later Lee got his second of the game as he headed home a right wing cross.

Saturday 30th October 2004

Hucknall Town 4-3 Bradford (Park Avenue)Conference North

Our defeat the previous weekend had seen us drop to fifth in the table, our opponents had risen above us, now third so I was expecting a difficult game. It started that way too as Mark Smith strode between our centre backs before rounding Neil Bennett and tucking the ball home with just five minutes on the clock. Things were made worse a few minutes later when player/assistant manager Jamie Dolan was sent off for a heinous challenge just outside the box. Danny Bacon made it two on fifteen minutes and with it any plans I'd had of us moving back up the table evaporated. Though I glimpsed a come back when Sanasy continued his scoring streak my firing home a 25th minute goal for us. David Artell soon restored Hucknall's two goal lead when he curled a twenty-five yard free-kick into the goal with just minutes to go until half time. Bacon got his second shortly after the break and although Pearce and Sanasy pulled goals back late on the result never really looked in doubt.

Saturday 6th November 2004

Chesham United 6-0 Bradford (Park Avenue) FA Trophy First Round

In the run up this game I was offered the chance to become Mansfield Town's new manager following the sacking of Keith Curle, thanks but no thanks. Morale in the squad was low even before this game after our recent run of defeats so I half expected us to start slowly. I wasn't pleased when David Town gave Chesham a 31st minute lead but his fine strike was worthy of a much higher level. The defending for their second left a lot to be desired though, when it became three before half time I think I could have cried. Things didn't bet better as Dominic Pearmain added to his first half double with virtually the first shot of the second half, his hattrick completed in the easiest of fashion. Quite frankly we were shocking and the result could have been a lot worse than what it eventually was.

Tuesday 9th November 2004

Bradford (Park Avenue) 1-1 Runcorn Conference North

After the debacle of last week I gave the players the bollocking they deserved and told them to give me a response today in the game. Despite our recent form we were somehow favourites going into this clash, I guess the bookies were sensing there could be some backlash - how I hoped we would. The bookies tend to be right about these things, after all, it is there job, so when we took the lead with twenty minutes gone through Allan Pearce I would have hoped we'd be able to build on it. Sadly we couldn't and on the hour, after some sustained late pressure, Chris Lightfoot fashioned a stylish equaliser to send both sides home with a point.

Wednesday 17th November 2004

Bradford (Park Avenue) 2-0 Vauxhall Motors Conference North

We sat in tenth place before the game and came up against seventeenth placed opponents but had you been watching the first half of this game without knowing which was which you'd be hard pressed to say. Both sides toiled without creating much, although it was I who went in the happier at half time, seventeen-year-old midfielder Stephen Kidd lashing home his first goal for the club after a stunning solo run. Twenty minutes from time another player got their first in our colours, substitute Mark O'Donnell racing onto a pass from midfield to fire home.

Saturday 20th November 2004

Alfreton Town 1-0 Bradford (Park Avenue) Conference North

The win took us up to seventh and meant that we now had a goal difference of zero. One thing that worried me though was that our form hadn't been consistent and in recent games we'd struggled. This away game proved to be no different and when Matt Fisher gave the home side a seventh minute lead I thought the worst. Fortunately they didn't, although they didn't get any better, the best we could muster was a disallowed Allan Pearce goal which was rightly judged to be offside.

Tuesday 30th November 2004

Moor Green 1-2 Bradford (Park Avenue) Conference North

A team twenty-first in the league should be easy pickings but from the first half display of both teams it looked like it would be difficult to pick a winner. Moor Green went close with a few free kicks, while for us Kevin Sanasy had a goal perhaps harshly ruled out for offside, nonetheless the teams were level at the break. It was to be Moor Green who made the first telling contribution to the second half, Neil Davis finding space in the box to turn home a cross to give them a fifty-fourth minute lead. Fortunately Stephen Kidd managed to level things up twenty minutes later with a well placed chip. At that point I would have settled for a point but from somewhere Sanasy produced an absolute moment of magic and in the ninety-fourth minute he scored a superb winner, taking the ball from the half way line he beat four men before curling the ball home from the edge of the box.

Archived