[FM10] ¿Quién demonios son Pontevedra? / All Ponte-s To Promotion

Hershie

Game: Football Manager 2010

Patch: 10.3

Leagues loaded: Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France

Database size: Large. Approx. 40k players iirc.

Pontevedra_CF.png

Pontevedra Club de Fútbol, S.A.D. is a Spanish football team based in Pontevedra, in the autonomous community of Galicia. It was founded in 1941, and currently plays in Segunda División B - Group 1, holding home matches at Estadio Municipal de Pasarón, with a capacity of 12,000 seats.

The team enjoyed its heyday in the 1960s, twice reaching La Liga.

History

Pontevedra Club de Fútbol was founded in 1941, following the merge of the two top teams in the city at the moment: Eiriña and Alfonso C.F. The first president of the new club was Fernando Ponte Conde.

Pontevedra promoted to the La Liga in 1963, but was relegated a year after. Still, it managed to play again in the top flight between 1965 and 1970. During this time the fans coined the motto Hai que roelo, in reference to the difficulties rival teams had when playing a strong Pontevedra side. In those years Pontevedra achieved a famous seventh place in 1966, adding an eighth two seasons later. Midfielder Ignacio Martín-Esperanza and forwards Neme and Roldán were among the stars of this era.

The years after that saw Pontevedra relegated and struggling in lower categories, well into the 2000s.

On 23 January 2007, the club was transformed into a Sociedade Anónima Deportiva (sporting Joint stock company), as required by Spanish law. This was a general measure introduced in order to revitalise the financial situation of professional football clubs. Yet, some risked disappearance as they could not face the cost involved in this transformation from "private" to "stock company". In the case of Pontevedra this was made possible after then president, Nino Mirón, had purchased 52 per cent of the stock options. Since then the club added the letters "S.A.D." to its official name.

The subsequently stated main goal of the club was to promote back to the second division, with Pontevedra last appearing in the category in 2004–05. Despite qualifying for the promotion playoffs for the past three seasons, the side has always failed to go through.

My aim

To get the team back into the top flight and to manage what they have previously failed to do - stay there. The team at the start is quite good, although the stadium is pretty small and the finances not great.

Star players are limited - with easily the best player Igor inexplicably loaned out until January.

Career Summary

Season      League                       Position          Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]Pontevedra CF[/b]

2009/10     Segunda Division B1        1st     League Champions, Playoff winners
2010/11     Liga adelante              3rd     Automatic promotion
2011/12     Liga BBVA                  [i]19th    upon resignation[/i]

Trophy Cabinet

[b]Segunda Division B1[/b] - 2009/10

Firstly, an apology. I started this save expecting it to, like so many others, not last. It has, so now I'm forced to recap before continuing! I will be drawing on my past posts in the anecdotes/all-nighter thread for reminders and quotes.

Season 1:

As usual for me, I took the ambitious approach. Lots of freebees and ending up with a big squad that would slowly be whitled down depending on player happiness, squad harmony, wages etc. The most significant signings were probably Lauren, Derlei and Jonathan Aspas, although the January signings of Mark Volders and Jari Ilola would prove crucial in securing what turned out to be eventually an easy title but a very dramatic promotion.

Pre-season went smoothly, including a very exciting 4-4 draw with Real Madrid!

Pontevedra 4-0 Mirandes opens the season. :cool:

This was followed by a 4-2 win over Ferrol, before our first downer of the season. A 1-1 draw at Guijuelo that could so easily have been 5-0 to them. We went on a good run after that, aided by 5 penalties in 7 games (iirc we had 15 over the course of the season - more than double anyone else), and so were comfortably top after a third of the season, with Derlei averaging about a goal a game.

Played 13

Scored 29

Conceded 11

Derlei - 13 games, 14 goals, 4 assists

32 points and 5 points clear

Disasterously we then lost both of our main strikers, and feared the worst. 2 poor results followed before a 4-1 thrashing of title rivals Lemona put us back on course. Some more good results followed (in particular an away win at once 'big' club Alaves). The aforementioned Volders and Ilola, as well as the disappointing Baseggio, joined in the winter break.

First game back; a 3-0 defeat at Sestao and our worst result of the season. Then a 6-1 away win at Ferrol. It was becoming pretty clear that this team could produce fantastic performances and I needed to get the best out of them. Jan Blazek and Botia both agreed to join in the summer around then, and the next few months went past pretty quickly with us grabbing some easy victories while those around us faltered. 12 wins in a row saw us qualify for the playoffs with 2 months to spare, while a win over Izarra secured us the league.

Was looking like a pretty easy run in and I was feeling pretty confident about the playoffs until both of our DCs got injured at once. Foolishly I'd failed to register enough backups, and predictably this was now likely to effect our playoff (and promotion) chances. One win in our final 6 games followed, and playoff failure seemed inevitable.

:D

Promoted in the most dramatic way possible.

90+4th minute penalty. 1-1 in the first leg, 1-1 entering stoppage time in the second..

Then this happened.

Then came the final:

Pontevedra 2-0 Poli Ejido

Poli Ejido 3-3 Pontevdra

Shame my team's defending is so poor and my strikers have given up, but who cares now?

Time to prepare for life in adelante. :thup:

Season 2:

Taking the ambitious approach to signing new players now, hoping our finances hold out.*
*dafuge approved.

I knew that for our first season in adelante we would need to strengthen. I also believed that if strengthened enough the team would be able to surpass expectations.

I'm always ridiculously ambitious. High wages for the first team are fine if they're going to perform well enough to pay for themselves. Not looking to spend long in Adelante.

In came, amongst others, Jan Blazek, Massimilliano Tagliani, Botia, Ariel Ibagaza, Fabio Celestini, Tamir Cohen, Salif Diao and Helder Barbosa. In total we signed about 16 players and released about 30. I had a feeling that maybe the team would take time to gel, but too the confidence that they were good enough to succeed.

29089791.png

I have a feeling that the rest is best told through quotes.

We're predicted 17th (out of 22). At least it's a simple promotion system!

First Adelante match is against our only rivals - Celta.

Celta 3-1 Pontevedra

We were the better team.

Spent the rest of the year playing alright but not getting the results at all.
This team are ****ing hopeless right now. 3-0 home loss to Almeria sends us to 21st.

I need tactical inspiration. Help?

In the new year I didn't change much. Arranged a few friendlies to boost morale and keep up fitness, and it seemed to do the trick, eventually..
Almost into February and we're 18th.

Gone back to 4-3-3 but my team are still playing like a bunch of amateurs.

Think I'll leave if I don't manage to finish in the top half.

Then, for whatever reason, everything seemed to change. We started taking our chances. We went to more like how we were the season before, grinding out results and showing determined defending the likes of which was totally missing from our play in the first half of the season. This was the turning point.
Pontevedra 3-1 Celta. Derby win.

Momentum please?

A 3-3 draw at Sociedad when a win looked certain saw Lauren released, and we never looked back. Wins over high-flying Almeria, Osasuna and Cordoba amongst others followed, and soon enough..

Well, we have had the most insane run of form..

We were 18th in early February.

We are 4th in early May.

:eek:

Unbeaten in 16.

Just one place off promotion, could we get there and hang on? A narrow 4-3 win at Albacete helped us edge nearer, before Pontevedra 7-2 Gimnastic saw us go third, and a win for Albacete over Xerez saw them drop points and give us a 4 point lead over 4th with 3 games to go.

Frankly I couldn't believe it. We'd gone from relegation candidates to almost promoted in 3 months - 17th after 25 games, 3rd after 40.

Promoted. :D Unbelievable.

Told you I didn't want to spend long in this division, even though it looked like we'd be going the other way! ;) Not bad for a team predicted 17th.

12 games without a win does not bode well.

January Transfers:

In -

Edinho

Nemanja Matic (loan)

Robertinho (newgen)

Henrique (loan)

Fredrik Stoor (loan)

Out -

Jan Blazek

Botia

Javier (youngster - to Man City!)

Also, incase I missed them out, Willo Flood and Igor Zofcak joined in August.

I have ****ing had enough of this team.

Too many poor performances. Too many players not looking like they give a ****. Too many players who make the most idiotic mistakes and then look to do nothing to make up for it.

The board sell my best players and don't let me have the money to replace them. They let me offer high fees to **** players but refuse to let me release a defender for 250k who has averaged below 6.5. It's like they want us to go straight back down.

I've had enough. I quit. Time to find a club with more ambition.

:)

A very unlikely opportunity has arisen. Maybe I set my starting reputation too high as I have been offered the Atletico Madrid job! Arogones retired and I applied in hope, particularly as I've grown fond of the club due to a previous save, and got an offer straight away!

There are few other options about, bar taking over a recently relegated team, and I don't fancy another spell in the second division anywhere. Anything else would be a step backwards and it is with that that I accept the offer!

I'm not looking to spend a long time here - I'd much rather build up a team than take over one already challenging for the honours, but I shall call Madrid home for now, at least until another opportunity presents its self.

atleticomadridt.png

Club Atlético de Madrid, S.A.D., commonly known as Atlético Madrid, is a Spanish football club based in Madrid who play in the Primera División of La Liga. Their home stadium is the Vicente Calderón, which currently holds up to 55,000 spectators. The club is one of the most successful in Spanish League history, having won both La Liga and the Copa del Rey on nine occasions, including a double in 1996. They also won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1962, were European Cup runners-up in 1974 and Intercontinental Cup winners in 1975.

During their history, the club have been known by a number of nicknames including Los Colchoneros or The Mattress Makers due to their first team stripes being the same colours as old-fashioned mattresses. During the 1970s they became known as Los Indios. This was allegedly due to the club signing several South American players after the restrictions on signing foreign players was lifted. However there are a number of counter theories which claim they were so named because their stadium is "camped" on the river bank or because Los Indios were the traditional enemy of Los Blancos — the whites. The latter nickname refers to the club's city rival Real Madrid.

History

Club Atlético de Madrid, S.A.D.

The club was founded on 26 April 1903 as Athletic Club de Madrid by three Basque students living in Madrid. The founders saw the new club as a branch of Athletic Bilbao. In 1904 they were joined by dissident members of Real Madrid. They began playing in blue and white, as did Athletic Bilbao, but by 1911 they were playing in their current colours.

First Atletico's ground, Ronda de Vallecas, was situated in the eponymous working-class area south of the city. In 1919, the Compañía Urbanizadora Metropolitana—the company that ran the underground communication system in Madrid—acquired some land, near the Ciudad Universitaria. As part of that project the company built a sports stadium, named Estadio Metropolitano de Madrid. With a capacity for 35.800 spectators, in 1923 it was rented by Atlético de Madrid, which used it until 1966 when they moved to the new Estadio Vicente Calderón.

During the 1920s Athletic won the Campeonato del Centro three times and in 1921 and 1926 they were Copa del Rey runners-up. Based on this record, they were invited to join the Primera División of the inaugural La Liga in 1928. During their debut La Liga season, the club were managed by Fred Pentland. However in 1930 they were relegated to Segunda División. They briefly returned to the Primera División in 1934, again with Pentland in charge. The club were relegated again in 1936 after Josep Samitier took over in mid-season from Pentland. However the Spanish Civil War gave the club a reprieve (because Real Oviedo was unable to play due to the destruction of their stadium during the bombings) and both La Liga and Athletic's relegation were postponed, the latter by winning a playoff against CA Osasuna (champion of the last played Segunda División tournament).

By 1939, when La Liga had resumed, Athletic had merged with Aviación Nacional of Zaragoza to become Athletic Aviación de Madrid. Aviación Nacional had been founded in 1939 by members of the Spanish Air Force. They had been promised a place in the Primera División for the 1939–40 season, only to be denied by the RFEF. As a compromise this club merged with Athletic, whose squad had lost eight players in the Spanish Civil War. The team were awarded a place in the 1939–40 Primera División only as a replacement for Real Oviedo whose ground had been damaged during the war. With the legendary Ricardo Zamora as manager, the club subsequently won their first La Liga in 1940 and then retained the title in 1941.

In 1947, the club decided to drop the military association from its name and settled on its current name of Club Atlético de Madrid. The same year saw Atlético beat Real Madrid 5–0 at the Metropolitano; their biggest win over their cross-town rivals to date.

Unfortunately for Atlético fans, their best years coincided with a great Real Madrid team. Between 1961 and 1980, Real Madrid dominated La Liga with the club winning the competition 14 times. During this era only Atlético offered Real any serious challenge, winning La Liga titles in 1966, 1970, 1973, and 1977. They were also runners-up in 1961, 1963, and 1965 and won the Copa del Generalísimo again in 1965, 1972, and 1976. In 1965, when they finished as La Liga runners-up to Real after an intense battle for the title, Atlético became the first team to beat Real at the Bernabéu in eight years.

In the 1970s Atlético also recruited several Argentine employees, signing Rubén Ayala, Panadero Díaz and Ramón "Cacho" Heredia, as well as coach Juan Carlos Lorenzo. Lorenzo believed in discipline, caution and disrupting the opponents’ game. Although controversial, his methods proved successful and after winning La Liga in 1973, the club reached the European Cup final in 1974. On the way to the final Atlético knocked out Galatasaray, Dinamo Bucureşti, Red Star Belgrade and Celtic. In the away leg of the semi-final against Celtic, Atlético had Ayala, Díaz, and substitute Quique all sent off during a hard fought encounter in what was reported as one of the worse cases of cynical fouling the tournament has seen. Because of this cynicism they managed a 0–0 draw, which was followed by a 2–0 victory in the return leg with goals from Gárate and Adelardo. However the final at the Heysel Stadium proved to be a heart-breaker for Atlético. Against a Bayern Munich team that included Franz Beckenbauer, Sepp Maier, Paul Breitner, Uli Hoeneß, and Gerd Müller, Atlético played above themselves. Despite missing Ayala, Díaz, and Quique through suspension, they went ahead in extra-time with only seven minutes left. Aragonés scored with a superb, curling free-kick that looked like the winner. However in the last minute of the game Bayern defender Georg Schwarzenbeck equalized with a stunning 25 yarder that left the Atlético goalkeeper Miguel Reina motionless. In a replay, back in the Heysel, two days later Bayern won 4–0.

Shortly after the defeat in the European Cup, Atlético appointed their veteran player Luis Aragonés as coach. Aragonés subsequently served as coach on four separate occasions (1974–80, 1982–87, 1991–93 and 2002–03). Aragonés subsequently led the club to further successes in the Copa del Rey in 1976 and La Liga in 1977. During his second spell in charge, Aragonés led the club to second in La Liga and a Copa del Rey in 1985 and then guided them to the European Cup Winners Cup final in 1986. However Atlético lost their third successive European final, this time 3–0 to Dynamo Kyiv.

In 1996, Radomir Antić finally delivered the much sought after league title as Atlético won the 1995-96 La Liga/Copa del Rey double. The 1999-00 season proved disastrous for Atlético. With the sudden removal of chairman Gil's strong presence, the club was in complete disarray and results on the pitch clearly reflected that. Ranieri handed in his resignation with the club in 17th spot out of 20 and heading towards relegation. The return of Antić for the third coaching stint failed to prevent the inevitable. Despite reaching the Copa del Rey final, Atlético were relegated.

Atlético spent two seasons in the Segunda División, narrowly missing out on promotion in 2001 before winning the Segunda División championship in 2002. It was again Luis Aragonés, on his last spell as a manager of Atlético, the manager who brought Atlético again to the Primera Division.

In July 2007, the Atlético board reached an agreement with the city of Madrid to sell the land where the stadium is built and move the club to the Olympic Stadium, owned by the city. Atlético will be allowed to play in Vicente Calderón stadium until 2010. The new stadium will be owned by the club on 2016, as the city is applying to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

My aim

Break the 'big two'.

4 matches in to the season and we're 2nd.

Atletico 0-0 Sevilla

Valencia 0-2 Atletico

Atletico 4-4 Barca (were behind three times!)

Malaga 1-4 Atletico

The youngsters I've signed are largely performing well. The superb Miguel from the academy has averaged about 8 so far from AML too, with De Gea performing well in goal.

Should I post some newgen screenshots? :)

We're losing like £5mil a month. :(

The new chairman has come in but has done nothing to sort out our financial situation, and we could really do with a new stadium at some point as this 55k seater is near-enough maxing out. God knows how we'll get into such a stable position..

Could consider selling some of the high wage earners (Simao, Forlan, Tiago) but first I need to be convinced we can cope without.

Roma 3-0 Atletico

A truly shocking performance that. Worthy of mentioning just to acknowledge how angry I am.

My DCs have been so awful to the extent I'm giving two newgen youngsters a chance in my next game, away at Getafe, and my strikers are so bad (with Aguero injured) that Borja is transfer listed.

I've lost motivation to play this. :(

I'm feeling like a pretty **** manager right now and feel I need to start in such a way as to improve. I need to start micro managing and taking every game as it comes. A new save may be imminent..

Beat Villarreal 6-0 away last night but it was insanely flukey. :D

Archived