Being Brian Clough

Daz the Imp

BEING BRIAN CLOUGH

1. Co-incidence

I am Brian Clough. No, not the Brian Clough. I'm another one. We are not related. I guess it was just co-incidence that the first club I was to manage would be Hartlepool as well.

The first thing I was told after taking control of Hartlepool was that I was expected to avoid relegation. I would be looking for a change in league, but I wanted to leave the Third Division upwards to Division Two, rather than dropping out into the Conference. Before the serious business of the league though, which would start with a trip to Scunthorpe, I had to sort out my squad, and take them to Ireland for a couple of friendly matches.

The squad itself was pretty good for this level. However, there was a lack of depth in the midfield area and there was a slight injury problem with 3 players. It was no major crisis however and various offers were made for several players.

The first player to join was Gary Twynham, and he was brought in on loan from Macclesfield until November. Leo Fortune-West was then recruited from Cardiff but this deal was permanent and it set us back £7o,ooo. I believe it to be money well spent but we will see as the season unfolds.

With these two on board, and other negotiations still ongoing, we travelled to Ireland for a two-match tour. First up were Limerick and goals from Fortune-West and Stephenson secured a 2-1 win. A superb performance was only marred by the last minute penalty we conceded, but none-the-less, it was a nice way to begin the tour. Before the second of our games, Michael Barron, not brought on the tour because of his injury, was sold to Birmingham for £5oo,ooo. He was a good player, but I had others who were similar, and I felt I would be better off with the money to further strengthen my squad. A 3-2 victory over Longford was then secured, but the score-line didn’t reflect our total domination of the game. Two goals from Stephenson and one from Miller saw us lead three-nil and allowed us to relax in the second half. It concluded a successful four-day tour for us. Fortune-West and Twynham gelled with the others immediately, and Stephenson was in superb form in both games.

A promising warm-up for the season ahead...

2. Getting down to business

A bid from Burnley for Tommy Miller was rejected and in the couple of weeks leading up to our league opener at Scunthorpe, one more addition was made to the squad. Chris Priest was brought in for £85,ooo from Macclesfield and was placed on the bench for the league opener. I was expecting a tough encounter because, like us, Scunthorpe had made some strong additions to their squad in the pre-season. Fortune-West marked his competitive debut with a tenth minute header, and from then on we never looked back. Knowles, Henderson and another from Fortune-West had us leading four-nil at half-time, and Fortune-West completed his hat-trick, an outstanding debut, in the second half to give us the five-nil victory. Not a bad start to my, or LFW’s, Hartlepool career’s.

Our next game was at home to Orient, and it was bound to be more difficult. Indeed, Orient had only conceded four on the opening day, compared to the five we stuck past Scunthorpe. The first half was all us, but we were having difficulty finding the target. We lost Miller to an injury after the half-hour mark but his replacement, Ian Clark, fired us ahead early in the second-half. Westwood headed home his first ever for the club to put us two up and we played out for another clean-sheet victory. This game was marred by the sending-off of Fortune-West but, other than that, another solid team performance.

Miller would be out for three weeks, but LFW’s one match suspension didn’t take place straight away, so he was in the side as we travelled to First Division Crewe for the first leg of our first round League Cup tie. Despite the home side taking an early lead, we showed the form we had been showing in the league. Fortune-West equalised and then Crewe were reduced to ten men, which turned the balance of the match in our favour. Fortune-West put us ahead after the break with his second goal before Stephenson made it three-one with ten minutes left. A late goal from the home side meant that the tie wass still in the balance, but we came away with a superb three-two victory.

We travelled to Torquay for the return to league action, but Stephenson was removed from the team due to picking up an injury in training. It didn’t seem to have an effect as Fortune-West quickly fired us into a two goal lead. The home side managed to pull a goal back, but we still held out for the two-one win. Bank Holiday Monday saw the visit of Darlington and after a frustrating first-half, which saw us hit the woodwork three times, we finally took the lead thanks to a goal from Henderson. This was the only goal of the game and it meant that we had gone through the whole of August unbeaten, with five wins in five (including the win at Crewe). Amazingly though, we weren’t the only ones and we found ourselves second behind Mansfield on goal difference.

3. More than luck

We had made a superb start, but there were still some saying we had been lucky rather than good. I made two more signings before our next game, which would be away at Exeter. Twynham had impressed me enough in the first month of his loan and I paid Macclesfield £2o,ooo to make his presence in our squad permanent. I also secured the signing of Cardiff’s Tony Sheridan, and we paid a further £11o,ooo for him. Sheridan went into the team for our trip to Exeter, replacing the suspended Fortune-West. We clearly missed the suspended striker and, having fallen behind early, we went down by one goal to nil for a first defeat of the season. He returned for the return leg against Crewe, and partnered Sheridan upfront as we looked to secure passage to the second round. Goals from Fortune-West and Sheridan sandwiched a red card for Crewe’s Sodje, and we advanced, winning 5-2 on aggregate. Our reward was a tie with Premiership side Coventry, and we would travel to their Highfield Road ground for the first leg.

The cup was something to look forward to, but I wanted my players to concentrate their efforts on the league. We had Plymouth at home next and thanks to two efforts from Clark and one from Fortune-West, we eased to a three-one victory. We lost goalkeeper Williams to an injury, which put a slight dampener on things, and he will miss two weeks of action. Hollund came in to replace Williams for our mid-week trip to Rochdale, and he did a fine job. Fortune-West fired in his tenth of the season to put us one-up and Davies did Rochdale no favours when he got himself dismissed right on half time. We totally dominated the second half and a goal from Clark, and another one from Fortune-West, helped us to a three-nil victory.

Miller returned from his injury for our next game at home to Halifax. Midgley, in the team due to the absence of the still-injured Stephenson, put us ahead before Fortune-West made it two before half-time. Halifax offered nothing in terms of attack, so we never had to leave first gear in the second half, and Fortune-West helped himself to another goal for another three-nil win. We had another midweek game to follow this, but it allowed us a break from the league as we travelled to Coventry in the first leg of the League Cup Second Round. We didn’t expect much, but first half goals from Midgley and Clark saw us take a shock lead. No further goals were added in the second half and we would take a shock two-nil lead back to Victoria Park. The score-line was a fair reflection of the game and Coventry were made to pay for fielding a somewhat under-strength side.

We travelled to Chesterfield as we returned to league action and, unsurprisingly we were full of confidence. I opted to keep Midgley in the team despite Stephenson now being completely recovered from his injury. After a goal-less first-half, Midgley got his third goal in three games to put us ahead and then Fortune-West added a second. Chesterfield pulled one back but Henderson, on for an injured Fortune-West, secured a three-one win with a last minute clincher. The news that Fortune-West would be out for three weeks was a blow, but it was something I felt we could cope with. We welcomed Coventry to Victoria Park for the return leg of the cup, and they were fielding a much stronger side. They took the lead early on but we rallied and had overturned the deficit, to lead two-one at half-time, through Sheridan and Henderson goals. Sheridan added a third in the second half and we had somewhat ‘hammered’ Premiership opposition three-one on the night and five-one on aggregate. Another ‘shock’ win was rewarded with a home tie against local rivals Middlesbrough.

We finished off September with a return to the league to face Carlisle at home. A goal from Clark saw us lead at half-time, but we were somewhat unconvincing all the way through. A last-minute goal from Miller secured a two-nil victory and also secured top-spot in the table heading into October.

Cheers PM. HD, Didn't notice that one! And, Brian...Hell Yeh! LFW > *

-

The turn of the month brought with it a player of the month award for Fortune-West and also bids for two of my players. Norwich were after both Miller and Stephenson, but both bids were turned down and both players were in the squad as we travelled to Shrewsbury. A goal-less first half passed, as did the first fifteen minutes of second-half, before Clark finally broke the deadlock on the hour to put us ahead. Sheridan and Henderson both struck to add to this goal to put us three up, all three coming within ten minutes of each other. Minutes later, however, Shrewsbury were offered a lifeline when goalkeeper Williams was sent off and the home side awarded a penalty. They duly converted and then quickly added another to make to three-two. Things were edgy, and we were under a bit of pressure due to having just ten men, but Clark sealed us a four-two victory with a stoppage-time goal.

A busy week before our next match saw us reject bids for Clark, Stephenson and Knowles from Preston, a bid for Hollund from Palace and a bid for Midgley from Port Vale. I did allow reserve player Andy McAvoy to leave though and he was bought by Kidderminster for £6,ooo. After this ‘hectic’ week, we faced Southend at home. Clark followed up his two goals against Shrewsbury when he fired us ahead, and we lead one-nil at half-time. We were totally dominating, but we failed to take all our chances and we were made to pay when Southend snatched a one-all draw with a late goal.

Another bid for Stephenson from Preston was rejected before Lee Fitzpatrick left the club, going to Oldham for £16,ooo. Palace, West Brom and Barnsley all had bids rejected for Hollund and Walsall had one rejected for Westwood. We travelled to Brighton next, a midweek game, and we fell behind early on. Clark netted his tenth of the season before half-time and Stephenson claimed all three points when he hit a late winner to give us a two-one win. More bids for Miller, Hollund and Westwood from various clubs were rejected before we faced Cardiff at home, without Williams who started his three-match ban. Hollund proved to be a more-than-adequate replacement and it was the ex-Cardiff striker Sheridan that gave us a good one-nil victory.

A nice break from the league followed, as we faced Premiership side Middlesbrough at home in the third round of League Cup. Midgley came in for the injured Stephenson and we welcomed the return of Fortune-West. Like Coventry, Middlesbrough were fielding a weakened team, and only two of the eleven starters could be considered ‘first team’. Despite this, it still came as a shock to the near capacity crowd when Sheridan fired us into a fifth minute lead. Francis equalised for the visitors just before half-time and, despite both sides having chances to win it in the second half, the tie went to extra-time. It was heading for a penalty shoot-out when a cruel winner was scored. Cruel for the visitors as it was Sheridan, netting his second of the game, firing home to give us a two-one win and another ‘cup shock’. In injury time of extra-time, Middlesbrough’s misery was completed when they were reduced to ten men. Another Premiership side sent had been sent packing and the draw for the fourth round saw us pitted against another top flight team. We would travel to Bradford.

More bids for various players were turned down as we returned to the league to face a home game against Macclesfield. Tommy Miller scored to give us a half-time lead but a dubious penalty allowed Macclesfield to pull level with twenty minutes remaining. It was still level with five minutes to go so I threw on another striker in Henderson. I was rewarded for my decision when Henderson headed home in the last minute to give us a two-one win. It meant we ended October still top of the pile, but still only clear on goal difference.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

----------------------------------------------------------

1st HARTLEPOOL 15 13 1 1 36 9 40

2nd Mansfield 15 13 1 1 36 10 40

3rd Kidderminster 16 12 1 3 29 12 37

4th Lincoln 16 10 4 2 33 19 34

5th Hull 16 9 3 4 26 17 30

6th Blackpool 16 9 3 4 22 18 30

7th Cardiff 16 6 7 3 18 11 25

8th Chesterfield 16 7 4 5 18 20 25</pre>

Cheers Lads

-

The start of November, aside from rejecting numerous bids for numerous players, looked to be the toughest match we had faced in the league so far as we welcomed second-placed Mansfield to Victoria Park. Despite our blistering start, Mansfield had kept the pace as well and had won all seven of their away games so far. We were, however, unbeaten at home and this looked like it would remain the same when we took the lead early through Fortune-West’s fifteenth goal of the season. Mansfield showed why they were level with us at the top of the league though, and Boulding drew them level just before half-time. They searched for a winner in the second half but found Williams in inspired form in goal. It was us who did manage to score a winner when Westwood headed home after Clark had hit the bar. This goal gave us the two-one win and finally gave us a small gap at the top of the table.

Whilst the press continued to throw superlatives at us as we ‘steamrollered’ the division, we prepared for a break from the league as we travelled to Premiership Bradford City in the fourth round in the League Cup. Unlike our previous top flight opponents, Bradford opted to play a full first team and it took them just three minutes to open the scoring through Dean Saunders. By half-time, however, we had shown we were more than a match for the home side and we had actually taken the lead thanks to goals from strikers Fortune-West and Sheridan. We led until the hour mark when Carbone equalised, our cup run brought to an end by Wetherhall’s late header in a three-two defeat.

Before our game away at play-off chasing Blackpool, there was a slight change in goalkeeping-personnel. Q.P.R offered £375,ooo for Martin Hollund, which I quickly accepted. He also quickly accepted their offer and I used £4o,ooo of the transfer fee to bring in a replacement in the shape of Tommy Evans from Scunthorpe. Despite not directly affecting the starting eleven, it still seemed to have an effect on the team as Blackpool tore us to pieces. We found ourselves three goals behind after just 25 minutes, although Fortune-West did manage to pull one back before half-time. It was not to be the start of any great comeback though and Blackpool added a fourth before the whistle went to defeat us four-one.

I bought another player before our next match, this time buying Eric Van Kessel from Bristol Rovers for £5o,ooo. He went straight into the team for our FA Cup first round tie at home to Carlisle, whom we had already beaten at home in the league. If it had been a league game it would have been top v bottom and it was top that took the lead when Sheridan fired us ahead. It stayed like that until after half-time when the visitors equalised to make it one all. We still cruised to victory despite this with a goal from Midgley and another form Sheridan giving us a three-one win and a passage into the next round. A round which would see us host Division Two leaders Bristol City.

Having rejected bids from quite a few clubs for him, Tommy Miller had been getting upset about not being allowed to move clubs. So when Aston Villa offered £5oo,ooo for him, I decided it was time to allow him to leave and he was gone by the time we faced York in our game in hand. Despite his loss, and the loss of both Fortune-West and his replacement Henderson to injury early in the first half, we still won rather easily. Stephenson put us ahead, an own goal made it two and Sheridan wrapped it up when he got the third late on after York had pulled one back to give us a three-one victory.

Without Fortune-West and Henderson, we travelled to third-placed Lincoln for our latest league match. We looked destined to lose as soon as they converted their dubious third minute penalty. Indeed, after just eleven minute we found ourselves three goals behind. It stayed like that until the seventieth when Lormor pulled one back having come on from the bench to make his first ever appearance for the club. Clark then pulled another one back, and it looked as thought we might pull off an unlikely come back, but Gordon completed a hat-trick for the home side as we slumped to a four-two defeat. Despite this defeat we still found ourselves top of the table, now with a two point gap on second-placed Mansfield.

December started with a home game against fourth-placed Kidderminster. Kidderminster were going strong in the league and took the lead just before the half-hour mark. Van Kessel’s first goal since arriving levelled things before half-time but the away side found themselves in front again after an own goal from Strodder. I sent Sperrevik on as the game headed into the last ten minutes and he headed us level with just six minutes remaining. It looked to be heading for a draw when we were awarded an injury-time penalty. Villain turned hero when Strodder stepped up to convert and give us three points with his first ever goal for the club for a three-two win.

Before our next game I recruited a new midfielder to bolster the squad. Stuart Gray joined from Reading, where he had fallen out of favour, for £12o,ooo. He was cup-tied as we faced Division Two leaders Bristol City in the second round of the FA Cup at Victoria Park. I had rejected a bid for Paul Stephenson just hours before the match from our opponents, so it was kind of ironic when we headed into the break two goals up thanks to two strikes from Stephenson. The second half brought no chance to the score line and we had easily dispatched ‘better’ opposition by two goals to nil for a place in round three, where we would travel to First Division Watford.

We were back in cup action next as we had another home game, this time against Mansfield in the first round of the Northern Section of the Autoglass Trophy. It was top versus second in terms of league placing and we had recently beaten them at home in the league. Gray came in to make his debut, but only lasted 52 minutes before picking up a knock, and Fortune-West returned to action having fully recovered. As it was the game was a pretty forgetful encounter, but Stephenson’s goal on the hour gave us a one-nil win. The return to league action brought with it a fourth home game in a row as we welcomed struggling Barnet. Twynham gave us an early lead but Barnet equalised within minutes of falling behind. We took total control after that and, despite still being level when we came out for the second half, goals from Henderson, Clark and Henderson again gave us an easy four-one win.

We travelled to Cheltenham for our first away game in just under a month. A goal from Fortune-West on the stroke of half-time gave us the lead but we couldn’t hold it for long in the second half and we returned to Hartlepool, having had to settle for just one point after a one-all draw. This result meant we dropped to second behind Mansfield, both having scored fifty but having conceded one more. Boxing Day brought the relatively short trip to Darlington and also brought a late Christmas present as we picked up all three points. Goals in either half from Henderson and Van Kessel brought us a two-nil victory.

The last game of the year saw us welcome Exeter to Victoria Park. A good ‘holiday-season’ crowd had come to see a victory and we didn’t disappoint. Stephenson put us ahead and, after an equalised from the visiting side, Clark’s header and a Van Kessel penalty gave us a three-one win to end the year the best way possible. More good news came later on as we returned to the top of the league as Mansfield lost. Let’s hope we stay there throughout the rest of the season in 2001.

1st HARTLEPOOL 24 19 2 3 55 24 59

2nd Mansfield 25 18 3 4 53 23 57

3rd Lincoln 24 15 6 3 50 29 51

4th Blackpool 24 16 3 5 40 23 51

5th Kidderminster 24 14 2 8 34 23 44

6th Hull 24 11 7 6 22 18 40

7th Macclesfield 24 12 4 8 39 32 40

8th Plymouth 24 12 3 9 42 37 39

</pre>

Cheers Brian...I think!

-

January and New Years Day brought a long trip down to Leyton Orient. And it brought with it a fourth league defeat of the season. A goal from Clark saw us go into the half-time break level at one-all but, despite a tenth goal of the season from substitute Henderson, we went down by three goals to two. We only had to wait two days for the opportunity to return to winning ways as we welcomed bottom-of-the-league Scunthorpe. Westwood headed us into the lead in the first half and a late goal from Stephenson wrapped up a two-nil victory, a win which extended Scunthorpe’s winless streak to nineteen games.

The third round trip to First Division Watford in the FA Cup was next, and we travelled to Vicarage Road quietly confident. Watford were in second place in Division One and they showed why when they dominated the first half. We were two goals behind before half-time and found ourselves three down not long after the restart. Watford then took their foot of the gas and we managed to register on the score-sheet when Clark pulled back a late consolation for a three-one defeat. Concentrate on the league etc.

Back to the league we went, and we faced Hull at home in our next game. Stephenson fired us ahead before the visitors scored to make the score one-all at half-time. Stephenson and Fortune-West had goals disallowed early in the second half and then Hull took the lead with fifteen minutes to go. Stephenson got his second of the game with eight minutes left to pull us level and then we had our third goal of the game ruled out, this time from Sheridan. It looked to be heading for a draw but Stephenson completed his hat-trick with just a minute left to give us the three-two win.

Another home game followed next, but before that I negotiated the sale of reserve striker Adam Boyd. Stockport paid £2o,ooo for him and I let him go to play in their reserve team. Our visitors for the next league game were Torquay and two goals from Fortune-West saw us two up before the away side pulled back one before half-time. They levelled the game midway through the second half but Fortune-West gave us the points when he completed his hat-trick with five minutes remaining on the clock. A three-two victory was sealed, a second in succession, with one player scoring all of our goals again.

We travelled to Carlisle next for our second round match in the Northern Section of the Autoglass trophy. Travelling with us was new signing Rob Matthews from Stockport. Stockport gave us him and £21o,ooo for Paul Stephenson, whom I had sold because his contract was up at the end of the season and we couldn’t re-negotiate another. Matthews filled the gap Stephenson left for the game against Carlisle but we lost him to injury after twelve minutes. And after forty-five minutes, we conceded the goal that lost us the game as we went down to a one-nil defeat.

A trip to Plymouth saw out return to league action in our next game. Gray, back from the injury he picked up on his debut, fired us ahead but the home side levelled affairs before half-time. The game was very close in the second half, but two late goals sent the home fans into raptures as they defeated us by three goals to one. This was the first time we had suffered consecutive defeats this season but, despite this loss, we still sat top of the table, clear of second-placed Mansfield by three points.

The players were well rested for our next league game, as we had a two week break due to the FA Cup. The first game in February was at home to Chesterfield, who sat tenth in the league. They took the lead midway through the first half, but Gray equalised a minute later. Fortune-West put us into the lead right after half-time and we held on for the two-one win, which would have been three if another Fortune-West effort had not been ruled out for offside. A trip to the Shay to face Halifax followed and, again, we fell behind. We were still behind on the hour mark, but two goals in ten minutes from Clark and Sheridan put us into the lead. We couldn’t hold on though and Halifax got an equaliser to make the score two-all at the final whistle.

We faced Rochdale, who were second from bottom in the table, at home next in the league. It took us until the second half too eventually break the deadlock when Sheridan fired us ahead, but we were left to settle for a one-all draw when Rochdale snatched a last-minute equaliser. The games continued to come as we next travelled to a struggling Southend side. It was another game where we found ourselves a goal down at half-time and this time we stayed behind until the last ten minutes. Fortune-West headed us level and then Midgley, on as a substitute, got a ninety-second minute winner to give us a two-victory.

Next up were Brighton as they travelled to Victoria Park in a similar league position to previous opponents Southend. Despite losing Shilton to an injury early on, we managed to lead at half-time through a goal from Sheridan. With Zamora having an off day, Brighton offered little in the way of a second-half comeback and Twynham made sure of the points when he scored the second in a two-nil. This win continues our run at the top of the league, but Mansfield still continue to push us as they only trail by three points still.

1st HARTLEPOOL 34 25 4 5 75 39 79

2nd Mansfield 34 23 7 4 70 33 76

3rd Lincoln 34 18 9 7 63 48 63

4th Orient 34 19 6 9 53 41 63

5th Blackpool 33 19 5 9 46 31 62

6th Cardiff 33 16 12 5 48 27 60

7th Hull 34 16 11 7 46 30 59

8th Kidderminster 33 18 4 11 61 44 58</pre>

Derby currently sit bottom of the Premiership and Jim Smith's job is insecure. But since you mentioned they have won two out of two and are only a point of safety, darn you!

-

March started with a trip to Carlisle, a team we had already faced three times previously this season due to our two cup games. We had lost our visit to Brunton Park last time and we fell behind early on in this game, like we had when we were defeated. We got back into the game just after the hour mark when Twynham levelled things and it didn’t take us long to take the lead. Knowles got the second goal and this was the goal that ended up clinching the two-one victory. A midweek game at home to lowly Shrewsbury followed the win at Carlisle. Midgley put us ahead in the first half and a goal from Fortune-West in the second secured a pretty easy two-nil win. One bad note from the game, however, was the late dismissal of Gary Strodder for two yellows cards.

Our next match was a trip to Macclesfield, who had been in poor form of late. Goals from Sheridan and Midgley meant we found ourselves two-nil up after twenty minutes but two mistakes from ‘keeper Williams allowed the home side to come into the break back on level terms. Sheridan got his second of the game early on in the second half and that made it three-two. Matthews came off the bench to score his first goal for the club with his very first touch and that goal secured a four-two victory. Following this game we received fantastic news when we were told that we were now guaranteed a play-off place with 9 games of the season remaining.

The first of two home games followed after a ten day break, as we welcomed mid-table York. The first-half was a complete non-event, but the second began with Fortune-West headed us into the lead with his 25th of the season. Substitute Henderson made certain of the victory with a late goal but Fortune-West still found time to make doubly sure with the third in a three-nil win. The second game of the two home games brought third-placed Lincoln to Victoria Park. Despite Sheridan giving us an early lead, like they had done at Sincil Bank, Lincoln turned us over. They scored two goals before half-time and one more in the second half to give us our first home defeat of the season as we went down by three goals to one.

Having just played, and lost to, third we travelled to Mansfield, the team lying behind us in second. We lost Fortune-West in the warm-up, so Henderson took his place upfront. We found ourselves behind early on because of Boulding’s opener, but Henderson fired home to make sure we all square at half-time. The second half turned into a defensive encounter, with neither team wanting to lose the game, but one team did. And it was the home side as Ian Clark headed home in the 86th minute to give us the two-one victory. First beat second for the second time in the season.

Cheers Brian. Wasn't to sure about the sale of Stephenson, but I felt the offer too good to refuse

-

Having rejected bids for Tony Williams from Premiership clubs, the first game of April saw a trip to play-off chasing Cardiff. They currently occupied the seventh and last play-off place, but they certainly didn’t show it. Twenty-six minutes gone in the first half, four shots and four goals. Henderson, Sheridan, Henderson again and then Clark saw us lead four-nil at half-time and we ended up winning four-one as Cardiff did manage to grab a consolation goal. What a way to secure promotion, eh? Which is what the three points we got did.

Now assured of promotion I allowed Tony Williams to talk other clubs. Newcastle were the club that he chose and he will leave at the end of the season in exchange for fellow ‘keeper Steve Harper. We travelled to Hull for our next league game and Fortune-West’s goal on the stroke of half-time saw us lead one-nil at half-time. Sheridan came on during the break and he fired in a further two goals before Hull pulled one back. No further goals were added and we secured a three-one victory, a result that took to 100 league points.

Our game on Bank Holiday Monday game brought with it the visit of Blackpool. The game itself was one of the most uneventful of the season but Matthews’ second-half strike secured a one-nil victory. And the Third Division Championship came along with that victory, so no-one had any complaints about the quality of it. With that in the bag, we travelled to Kidderminster for our next match. We were behind early and stayed behind until Clark got us a point with just six minutes to go in a one-all draw.

Our penultimate game saw us host Cheltenham at Victoria Park. After a goalless first half, Sheridan scored the only goal of the game to give us a one-nil victory. A dire game was quickly forgotten as we received the Third Division trophy after the game. Our last game saw us travel to last-placed Barnet, who needed a win to be in with a chance of survival. They took the lead early on but Van Kessel struck just before half-time to make it one-all. That was our 100th goal of the season and there were to be no more as well drew one-all.

**************************************************************************************

English Third Division - Saturday 26th May 2001

**************************************************************************************

======================================================================================

2000/1 Table

======================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st C HARTLEPOOL 46 20 2 1 48 17 14 4 5 52 33 108

2nd P Mansfield 46 15 4 4 45 23 15 3 5 45 23 97

3rd P Orient 46 13 4 6 39 27 13 6 4 35 25 88

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4th Kidderminster 46 15 3 5 49 27 12 3 8 39 31 87

5th Lincoln 46 17 4 2 48 23 8 8 7 41 40 87

6th Cardiff 46 13 7 3 35 18 9 7 7 34 28 80

7th P Blackpool 46 14 4 5 39 24 10 2 11 27 29 78

8th Hull 46 11 9 3 31 16 9 3 11 26 30 72

9th Chesterfield 46 15 5 3 37 19 5 7 11 23 35 72

10th Plymouth 46 12 2 9 47 37 8 7 8 38 34 69

11th Halifax 46 12 4 7 41 34 6 7 10 26 37 65

12th Exeter 46 12 7 4 32 19 5 5 13 32 41 63

13th York 46 8 6 9 27 32 10 2 11 35 44 62

14th Darlington 46 8 6 9 33 31 6 9 8 23 24 57

15th Macclesfield 46 9 7 7 39 33 7 0 16 31 52 55

16th Torquay 46 10 5 8 35 30 3 6 14 24 43 50

17th Carlisle 46 10 3 10 41 37 3 7 13 33 47 49

18th Southend 46 8 3 12 26 32 4 8 11 19 30 47

19th Shrewsbury 46 6 7 10 27 35 5 6 12 16 34 46

20th Rochdale 46 6 9 8 24 29 4 6 13 15 30 45

21st Brighton 46 2 9 12 26 42 7 5 11 25 36 41

22nd Scunthorpe 46 5 5 13 25 38 5 4 14 17 33 39

23rd Cheltenham 46 6 7 10 27 30 1 9 13 14 40 37

24th R Barnet 46 8 6 9 29 30 0 4 19 13 51 34</pre>

Side note : Derby finished 19th in the Premiership, were relegated and Jim Smith was sacked. I applied for the job, but I was overlooked in favour of Huddersfield Town's Steve Bruce

End of season awards:

Manager of the Year –

1st. BRIAN CLOUGH – HARTLEPOOL

2nd. Steve Parkin – Rochdale

3rd. Tommy Taylor – Orient

Team of the Year (4-4-2 l to r) –

Tony Williams (Hartlepool); Ian Clark (Hartlepool), Gary Strodder (Hartlepool), Justin Walker (Lincoln), Mark Greaves (Hull); Peter Gain (Lincoln), Ian Bogie (Kidderminster), Richard Barker (Macclesfield), Wayne Corden (Mansfield); Leo Fortune-West (Hartlepool), Mickey Boulding (Mansfield)

*Chris Westwood named amongst the substitutes*

Players leaving in the summer –

Williams (Newcastle – p/x for Steve Harper)

Henderson (Sheffield United)

Knowles (Sheffield United)

Midgley (Sheffield United)

Shilton (Portsmouth for £11o,ooo)

Tennebø (Free)

Money was made available to bolster the squad, additional money coming from television right, and it was nice to know that I had the board’s backing to continue to be successful. I didn’t want to spend the money because it was there however, so initially I only brought in players who were out of contract. Steve Brown came in from Charlton and both Paul Arnison and James Sharp left on free transfers, having not been offered new contracts over the summer. Chris Priest then became the next player to leave, for £75,ooo to Cheltenham, before Gary Strodder announced his immediate retirement from playing football. The squad was now looking thin, so I brought in Keith Brown from Barnsley for £75,ooo, Steve Robinson from Preston for £12o,ooo and Danny Maddix from QPR for £25o,ooo.

With the new squad now taking shape, it was time for pre-season friendlies to be played. First up was a trip to Southend[/b], whom we had faced in the league last season. A goal from Sheridan put us ahead but we ended up drawing one-all. Before we faced our next game I brought in a new face, one that my scout had found, in the form of Mark Quayle from Grantham Town for £18,ooo. Next we travelled to Ireland for another two game tour. We faced Longford first, as we had done last season. And as we had done last season, we got a win against our Irish opposition, this time a one-nil win thanks to a goal from Clark. Our second opponents were Limerick, again, the same as last season. We could only manage a nil-nil draw in this game, but another unbeaten pre-season had passed and I was happy with the way the squad had come along.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spav:

Congratulations on the Championship and Stage #1 completed. icon14.gif

BTW, which team are the Imps? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leyton Orient.

Good story and like Spav said, well done for completing the first stage. Somehow, I think the Derby one is going to be ever so difficult!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jambo_4eva:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spav:

Congratulations on the Championship and Stage #1 completed. icon14.gif

BTW, which team are the Imps? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leyton Orient.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's Lincoln actually - Leyton Orient are the O's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Yeah well done Daz. Getting the Derby job isnt going to be easy I fear I got knocked back for it, Leeds and Forest.

Good luck in the new season icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you blind? it was Steve Bruce who took over Derby ffs

Cheers Spav, PM, Jambo, Bob, Brian and flip! Now comes the first hard part. And the Imps are Lincoln City. Technically it's the Red Imps but there you go.

-

One more purchase was made before our first game of the season as I brought in Carlo Corazzin from Oldham for £1oo,ooo. He went into the starting line-up instead of the injured Leo Fortune-West as we faced Oldham at home in our first game. It was still goalless at half-time, although we had had a goal disallowed, and it stayed that way for most of the second half. Oldham snatched a late winner however, and defeated us by a goal to nil. We visited Bristol Rovers for our first away game of the season, and Fortune-West was back from injury and came into the starting line-up. Corazzin struck his first for the club on the stroke of half-time to give us the lead and he got another late on to give us a deserved two-nil victory.

We had a midweek game next up as we travelled to fellow Second Division Notts County in the first leg of our first round League Cup tie. A goal in the first ten minutes from the home side was enough to secure a slender lead to take into the away leg as we suffered a one-nil defeat. A home game against Northampton saw our return to league action and a return to winning ways. Corazzin struck a first half hat-trick which was enough to secure a three-nil victory.

Before the next game, Brian Thomas and Paul Morris were brought in to start filling out the reserves. Both young and both promising, they joined the batch of four youth players that had been promoted from the academy. The next game brought a trip to Blackpool, where we had lost four-one last season. Fortune-West put us ahead after a goalless first half but Blackpool levelled, meaning we had to share the points with a one-all draw. This ended our first month in a higher division, and we sat in a very respectable tenth after four games.

The first of September saw us entertain Mansfield at home, so long our challengers last season. A Fortune-West strike saw us lead at half-time and Mansfield rarely threatened to level it, Corazzin scoring a second to secure another three points in a two-nil win. The return leg of the League Cup first round was next up and Notts County brought a one-nil lead to Victoria Park. A superb game ensued and goals from Fortune-West and Corazzin saw this lead overturned in twenty-five minutes but County then scored an away goal. Clark and Fortune-West made it four-one to us by half-time though, and no further goals meant that we won four-one on the night and four-two on aggregate.

After this superb win, the return to league action was a disappointment. We travelled to Swindon and found ourselves two-nil down at half-time. We came out in the second half and completely dominated but found the Swindon keeper in superb form. Fortune-West did manage pull one back but we had to settle for nothing in a two-one defeat. Before our next match, I brought in Robert Martin from Middlesbrough on loan for the rest of the season. We were without Corazzin due to international duty as a near capacity crowd turned out for our midweek game at home to Brentford. They saw us lead early through Fortune-West before our visitors levelled, but Clark made sure we were still leading at half-time when he scored out second. Brentford were stronger than us in the second half though, and they scored two goals in the final fifteen minutes to defeat us three-two.

Corazzin returned for our next game which saw us take a trip to Rotherham. A goal from Clark made sure that it was one-all at half-time after Rotherham had taken the lead but Rotherham snatched all three points as we lost two-one, Rotherham converting a dubious last-minute penalty. We were defeated by two goals to one but we had deserved at least a point. A trip to Premiership West Ham was up next in the first leg of the League Cup second round. Two early goals saw the home side leading at half-time, and for the entire game, but they relaxed and allowed us to snatch a goal through Corazzin late on. We had come away with a two-one defeat but the away goal could prove to be crucial if we are to advance.

A third away game in a row was up next as we travelled to Burnley in the league. Fortune-West scored after we had fallen behind early on but at half-time we found ourselves four-one and one man down as Westwood had been sent off. Fortune-West got his, and our, second in the second half to make the score-line slightly more respectable but we still ended up losing four-two. The first of three home games in row was our next game as we faced the return leg of the second round League Cup against West Ham. We dominated the game but couldn’t hit the target and we ended up getting a one-all draw. West Ham took the lead with two minutes remaining and then Corazzin equalised in injury time. This meant we were defeated three-two on aggregate.

Despite the recent dip in form, the decision to turn down Portsmouth’s offer to be their new manager was an easy one. I remained at Hartlepool and we continued our league campaign as we welcomed Oxford to Victoria Park. We completely dominated them, as we had West Ham, but this time we had not trouble hitting the target. Martin and Fortune-West goals had us two up at half-time and Corazzin added a third in the second half for a three-nil victory. This result made sure we stayed in tenth as the month drew to a close.

Due to international call-ups we were allowed a two week break, which was welcomed at the start of October. Also welcomed was Corazzin’s award for player of the month. We finally got to our game at home Wigan and Quayle scored his first of the season to put us ahead by half-time. We totally dominated proceedings but we were made to pay for missed chances when Wigan grabbed a point through a last-minute equaliser in a one-all draw. We didn’t even get a point out of our next game, a trip to Reading, as we slumped to a four-one defeat. Our goal came from Martin but we had goalkeeper Harper sent off.

Next up for us was a game at home to Millwall as we looked to get back to winning ways. Two goals from Carlo Corazzin meant we were two-nil up at half-time and he completed his hat-trick in the second half. Two goals from Millwall in the last five minutes made it look a closed run thing but we cantered to an easy three-two win. This was followed quickly by a midweek match away to Notts County, a place we already lost this season, albeit in the cup. We were defeated two-one on this occasion with Corazzin scoring our consolation.

A home game against Preston followed and we were two goals ahead at half-time thanks to strikes from Keith Brown and Steve Brown. Both goals were their first goals for the club and Keith’s was his first professional goal. Preston got a goal back through a dubious penalty very early in the second half but we replied to that with three more of our own. Steve Robinson got two, one a penalty and the other also his first for the club, and Sheridan got the other as we powered to a five-one win. Our re-arranged game away at Swansea was next and we were without Harper through suspension and Corazzin through injury. We were two-nil down at half-time and we could only pull one goal back through Robinson in the second half. This meant we lost two-one and ended the month in fourteenth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian of Nazareth:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Yeah well done Daz. Getting the Derby job isnt going to be easy I fear I got knocked back for it, Leeds and Forest.

Good luck in the new season icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you blind? it was Steve Bruce who took over Derby ffs <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who rattled your cage FFS.

I was talking about in the future try and keep up if you can. And tbh I dont see that I was talking to you anyway.

Anyway back to the story icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, back to the story... icon_confused.gif

-

November started with a trip to Cambridge and we had to travel without five first team regulars. Despite this, Clark’s goal meant we were level at one-all at half-time and then two quick goals from Fortune-West saw us lead early in the second half. Cambridge immediately pulled one back but then Martin restored our two goal lead. Cambridge pulled another back before the end but it didn’t matter as we held on four the four-three win. Our next game was at home to Bury, and despite complete domination of the match we failed to score and had to settle for a nil-nil draw.

A short break from the league came next as we travelled to non-league Stalybridge Celtic in the first round of the FA Cup. This was a potential banana-skin match but Mark Quayle struck early and this effectively ended the game. Fortune-West struck either side of half-time before the home side grabbed a consolation to make the final score three-one. Before our next match both Corazzin and Maddix returned from international duty and Tony Lormor departed for Rochdale for £12,ooo. Our next match was at home to Orient and we were ahead on the stroke of half-time thanks to Corazzin’s fifthteenth of the season. Martin added a second and Corazzin got another before the final whistle to make it three-nil at full-time. This lifted to thirteenth in the table.

10th Notts C 19 9 3 7 39 31 30

11th Oldham 19 9 3 7 27 25 30

12th Swindon 19 9 3 7 41 40 30

13th HARTLEPOOL 19 8 3 8 36 28 27

14th Bury 19 6 6 7 26 30 24

</pre>

Cheers Dave, Brian and PM. 00/01 actually icon_razz.gif

-

Robert Martin was announced young player of the month just before we travelled to face Barnsley in our next league game. At Oakwell, Fortune-West and Corazzin both scored to give us a two goal lead at half-time and then Gray scored in the second half to give us a very good three-nil win. Our next match saw the visit of Conference side Doncaster Rovers in the second round of the FA Cup. First half goals from both Fortune-West and Corazzin were enough to see us through to the third round with a two-nil win.

Progress in that competition couldn’t be matched in the Autoglass Trophy as we were defeated at Chesterfield in the Northern Section first round. Steve Robinson got our goal in a two-one defeat. A return to the league was next as we travelled to fourth placed Walsall. An early Fortune-West goal was enough to give us all three points as we defended manfully for nearly eighty-five minutes and got a one-nil win.

A third away game in a row followed this as we travelled to Oldham top of the form table. Matthews put us ahead inside ten minutes and we led one-nil at half time. Sheridan added a second and we held out for a two-nil win and a second consecutive clean sheet. Boxing Day brought with it the visit of second-bottom Bristol Rovers. After five minutes they converted a penalty which was awarded alongside the sending off of Steve Harper. They doubled their lead before Corazzin pulled one back before half-time. No goals were added in the second half and we crashed to a two-one defeat.

The last game of December, and also the year, saw us travel to Northampton. The game was a pretty dire affair, with neither team really threatened their opposition’s goal. Thankfully, though, we snatched all three points when Rob Matthews popped up to head home a winner two minutes from time in a one-nil win. This left us in eighth, just a point of a playoff place and eleven off an automatic promotion slot.

New Year’s Day 2002 saw us take on Blackpool at home in the league. A goalless first half was played out before the away side took the lead in the second half. Danny Maddix rescued a late point with his first goal for the club and we got a one-all draw from the game. Next up was our third round FA Cup match, at home to Premiership Coventry. They were fifth in the Premiership going into the game but we had beaten them over two legs last season in the League Cup. This time, unlike last time, they fielded a full strength side. We got to half-time still goalless, and to the seventy minute mark still goalless, but Bellamy eventually scored and won the game for the away side as they defeated us one-nil.

A trip to bottom placed Wycombe came next but a poor performance saw us come away with nothing as we were defeated by one goal to nil. Another poor performance, away at Brentford, saw us come away with no points again. This time we lost two-one with Mark Quayle scoring our goal. At home to Rotherham was our next game and we fell behind early on, looking like we were going to turn out another poor performance. A goal in the minute either side of half-time from Robinson and then Quayle turned the match around in our favour and we held on for a two-one win.

A midweek game at home to Wrexham followed the Rotherham win and I could welcome back Robert Martin to the team after a five week injury. Martin himself scored the opener and then he set up Corazzin for a second before half-time. It stayed at two-nil for the rest of the game and we picked up another three points. This meant we ended January in ninth place.

February opened up with a trip to relegation-battling Mansfield and, with the return of Harper from suspension and Fortune-West from injury; we had a full strength team for the first time in over a month. Martin put us ahead before half-time but the home side equalised midway through the second half. Corazzin scored late on however and this secured a two-one win. Our next opponents were opposite to Mansfield as we welcomed play-off chasing Swindon to Victoria Park. The visitors oozed class as they raced to a two goal lead but Clark pulled on back before half-time. Martin then scored with fifteen minutes left and we earned a two-all draw having been two behind.

Another near-capacity crowd turned out at Victoria Park to see us face another play-off chasing side in the form of Swansea. Corazzin fired us ahead midway through the first-half but the Welsh side levelled things before half-time. Corazzin struck again in the second half, and this time there was no reply so we won two-one. A third home game in a row followed against Burnley, another team in the promotion hunt. The game was still goalless at half-time but a goal from Corazzin in the first minute of the second half put us ahead. Only a man of the match performance from the Burnley keeper kept the score to a one-nil victory as we ended the month seventh in the table.

Pos Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

-----------------------------------------------------

3rd Swindon 34 19 5 10 77 58 62

4th Wigan 33 18 8 7 55 39 62

5th Blackpool 33 15 12 6 56 39 57

6th Burnley 34 17 6 11 53 43 57

-----------------------------------------------------

7th Hartlepool 33 17 5 11 57 39 56

8th Notts C 33 16 7 10 70 58 55</pre>

We travelled to bottom-placed Oxford at the start of March and we were top of the form table. Goals from Corazzin and Fortune-West put us ahead very early and Westwood added a third before half-time. Oxford got one of their own before half-time but second half goals from Fortune-West and substitute Sheridan meant that we strolled to a five-one victory. A midweek game at home to Cambridge came after that victory and two goals first-half goals from Fortune-West meant that we were headed for another victory. He completed his hat-trick late on in the second half to give us a three-nil victory and our eighth game unbeaten.

A trip to Millwall was next for us and, in a bizarre first-half, we saw ourselves go in at the break three-two up. Corazzin gave us the lead but the home side levelled immediately. Corazzin then struck again but yet again the home side levelled. Martin, back from injury, scored the last goal of the half and then created the first goal of the second half for Fortune-West to slot home. Millwall pulled one back before the final whistle but we held on for a fantastic four-three win.

Mid-table Reading travelled to Victoria Park for our next game as we looked for out tenth game unbeaten. The visitors took an early lead but Gray had levelled the score before half-time. Reading again took the lead early in the second half but goals from Corazzin, Martin and Steve Brown turned the game around and put us ahead. This killed off Reading and no further goals were added as we picked up a four-two victory. This superb winning streak was brought to an end in our next game away at Preston where we went down by a goal to nil, not the first dubious penalty to be awarded against us this season.

Our next game was at home to Notts County, a side who were after a play-off spot themselves. Goals from Corazzin and Martin sandwiched a Notts County strike as we led the visiting side two-one at half time. County equalised early in the second half but Corazzin struck his thirtieth of the season to give us three points in a two-one win. This win, and the recent good form, had lifted us to fourth in the table.

April opened with a midweek game as we faced second-placed Wigan, away, in our game in hand. We weren’t the better team in the first half but a goal from Martin meant that we led at half-time. The home side came on strong in the second half but an inspired goalkeeping performance from Harper meant we kept a clean sheet and held out for the one-nil victory. Having beaten second in the league we travelled to third-placed Orient for our next game. A poor first-half showing from us meant that we went in three goals down. Sheridan pulled on back in the second half but it was a mere consolation as we lost three-one.

We welcomed second-from-bottom Barnsley in our next game and, within a minute, Fortune-West struck his fiftieth goal for the club. By half-time is was three, thanks to goals from Martin and Corazzin, and by the time the final whistle came Fortune-West had added a fourth to give us a four-nil victory. Bank Holiday Monday brought with it a match against another relegation-threatened side as we travelled to Bury. Gray’s strike meant we were leading at half-time and further goals from Martin and Fortune-West saw us go three-nil up. We lost Martin to injury and conceded a late goal but we came away with another three points in a three-one win.

Martin recovered successfully in time for us to face Wycombe at home with a full-strength side. It was Martin himself who opened the scoring in the first minute but then Wycombe hit two quick replies to put us behind. Corazzin levelled and then Steve Robinson fired us back into the lead before half-time. No further goals were added in the second half and that meant we came away with the three-two victory. Along with those three points came a guarantee of a play-off place. We travelled to Wrexham in our next game and, surprisingly, we fell behind early on. We were still behind at half-time and then in the second half we struggled to get back into the game. We finally managed an equalizer through Maddix and then Corazzin grabbed a winner with just a minute left to give us the two-one victory. That win meant we were in third place in the table and that we could still snatch second place with just one game left.

The recent form had been noted by more than just our fans and I landed the manager of the month award for April. But we were now in May, so April had to be forgotten. We went into our last game at home to Walsall knowing that we had to win to have a chance of finishing second ahead of Wigan, who had to draw or lose. Martin got us off to a superb start by scoring in the first ten minutes but Walsall had levelled before half-time. Corazzin scored his thirty-fifth of the season early in the second half and, despite the loss of Fortune-West to two yellow cards late on, we held out for the two-one victory. But Wigan had won as well, so we finished third and would now compete in the play-offs.

Before the semi-final first leg against Swindon, away, Martin completed his loan and returned to Middlesbrough and we couldn’t get him back. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Westwood picked up an injury in the first minute of the match. Swindon then took the lead but Corazzin levelled affairs before half-time. We then had a goal disallowed in the second half with just fifteen minutes to go. We must have let this get to us as we completely capitulated and conceded three before the final whistle. We lost four-one and now had a mammoth task in the return leg.

We needed to win by three goals to nil to go through as we faced Swindon at home in the semi-final second leg. There was no doubting it would be difficult, especially as Swindon held out for twenty minutes and nearly went ahead themselves. However, a superb twenty-five minute period in the rest of the half saw Fortune-West, Corazzin twice and Matthews all score to take us in at the break four goals up. It would have been enough to send us to the final, but we couldn’t hold out. Swindon got one back and then another with just ten minutes left. They pulled back a third as we searched for a goal to keep us in the tie but it wasn’t to be and, despite winning four-three on the night, we went out seven-five on aggregate.

**********************************************************************************

English Second Division - Sunday 26th May 2002

**********************************************************************************

==================================================================================

2001/2 Table

==================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st C Brentford 46 19 2 2 58 29 11 6 6 42 35 98

2nd P Wigan 46 17 4 2 42 19 10 6 7 36 30 91

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd HARTLEPOOL 46 16 4 3 52 22 12 1 10 40 34 89

4th Swansea 46 14 5 4 33 20 11 6 6 41 32 86

5th P Orient 46 18 4 1 47 20 6 7 10 27 37 83

6th Swindon 46 15 4 4 57 28 9 3 11 36 46 79

7th Burnley 46 18 3 2 51 18 5 6 12 22 35 78

8th Rotherham 46 13 6 4 38 20 8 5 10 33 34 74

9th Preston 46 14 2 7 47 34 9 1 13 26 40 72

10th Blackpool 46 10 6 7 38 29 9 7 7 38 35 70

11th Notts C 46 13 7 3 46 29 7 3 13 44 55 70

12th Oldham 46 12 5 6 38 27 8 4 11 20 24 69

13th Walsall 46 12 4 7 33 21 7 6 10 34 33 67

14th Millwall 46 10 7 6 40 25 7 1 15 34 55 59

15th Wrexham 46 10 4 9 36 30 6 2 15 20 43 54

16th Cambridge Utd 46 10 5 8 42 34 3 9 11 22 38 53

17th Northampton 46 11 4 8 43 32 4 4 15 23 48 53

18th Bristol R 46 9 4 10 30 37 4 6 13 16 27 49

19th Reading 46 7 11 5 39 30 3 4 16 24 48 45

20th Mansfield 46 9 5 9 32 33 3 4 16 18 39 45

21st R Wycombe 46 8 5 10 25 27 4 3 16 23 39 44

22nd R Bury 46 10 2 11 35 36 1 8 14 22 47 43

23rd R Barnsley 46 5 8 10 34 45 3 6 14 27 51 38

24th R Oxford 46 11 0 12 31 37 0 3 20 14 62 36</pre>

*Side note : Steve Bruce guided Derby straight back to the Premiership*

End of season awards:

Manager of the Year –

1st. Ray Lewington - Brentford

2nd. Bruch Rioch - Wigan

3rd. Nigel Winterburn – Orient

Team of the Year (4-4-2 l to r) –

Roger Freestone (Swansea); Paul Taylor (Notts County), Gareth Griffiths (Wigan), Frank Sinclair (Wigan), Michael Clegg (Wigan); Ian Kilford (Wigan), Darren Ferguson (Wrexham), Massaudu Naddah (Notts County), Scott Huckerby (Millwall); Carlo Corazzin (Hartlepool), Gray Alexander (Swindon)

*Danny Maddix named amongst the substitutes*

Players leaving in the summer –

Speverrik - Free

Archived