FA Challenge FM2005 Update Thread [*Established Clan*]

dalebanner.jpg

Magpies End Positively

Dale Smurthwaite's Notts County had a tough season what with losing Peter Weatherson and not really performing on the pitch as a team. However, they still managed to be equal top scorers for goals on a team level with 81, but their defence seems to be the problem as they conceded 78.

Smurthwaite has vowed to bring in more players in defence and I believe him, he hasn't mislead us yet.

There were 3 results to report on at the end of the season and here is a run-down.

Bournemouth 2 V Notts Co 2

Notts Co probably deserved to lose, but on loan striker Neil Mellor popped up and scored the last minute equaliser to snatch a point.

Star Man - Lee Hollis (Notts Co)

Notts Co 3 V Morecambe 2

A great win here to get 3 needed points. Ebankes-Blake got a nice brace to almost secure him top scorer for the season.

Star Man - Neil Mellor (Notts Co)

Cheltenham 2 V Notts Co 2

Another close game to finish the season with and The Magpies managed to scrape a draw with Cheltenham missing a penalty that would have given them the victory.

Star Man - Neil Mellor (Notts Co)

So in the end, Notts County finished a disppointing 15th in League 2 but it could have been much worse. The arrival of new assistant manager Aloisio from Brazil has secured some great friendlies for next season which should bring the finances up a bit.

As I speak, Dale Smurthwaite has just arrived and I'll try and grab a few words with him...

Dale, have you time time for a few questions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Always time for you Nosmo icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you a bit disappointed with last seasons league position?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Who wouldn't be? But we are still rebuilding and 2005/6 will be much better, I can feel it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your defence leaked a lot of goals last season, any ideas on how to fix it or is it merely a goalkeeping problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No way is it a keeper problem, Lee Hollis did great things for us last year, we have secured former Shakhtar player Igor Guzelov in central defence and he is going to be a linchpin for us next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lastly Dale, can you lure a big striker to Notts County?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know if our wage structure will allow it Nosmo, but I'm certainly gonna try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, thanks to Dale Smurthwaite again there. Hopefully The Magpies can do much better next season, but the good news is, I'll always have a job reporting...

Here are some Notts County player stats for the League 2 season 2005/06.

Nosmo King signing off...

PLAYER STATS

Top Goalscorer : Sylvan Ebankes-Blake with 25

Most Assists : Alex Gildea with 12

Highest Average Rating : Alex Gildea with 7.58 (42 Appearances)

Most MoM Awards : Alex Gildea with 7

Worst Discipline : Ben Andrews with 9 Yellow Cards & 1 Red Card

Fans Player Of The Year : Alex Gildea

CLUB STATS

Highest Attendance : 16313 V Sunderland in League Cup 1st Round 23.8.2005

Lowest Attendance : 3251 V Exeter on 10.12.2005

Average Attendance : 4471 - Up on last season

Best Unbeaten Streak : 9 from 28.1.2006-11.3.2006

Worst Losing Streak : 7 from 27.9.2005-9.11.2005

Highest Transfer Fee Paid : £12,000 for Ryan O'Leary from Aberdeen

Highest Transfer Fee Received : £400,000 for Peter Weatherson to Oldham

HOPES FOR NEXT SEASON

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A good run in the League and not to concede so many goals... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Until my next report...

DS.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

andybanner.jpg

After last seasons poor display by Wycombe, i knew it would take more than a few new signings to turn this team into one capable of challenging at the top of League 2. So after realising that i set about signing 11 new players who i felt would be able to take Wycombe Wanderers up a division.

The players that arrived at Adams Park were:

Andrejs Stolcers

Stephan Jordan

Kevin Austin

Kristian O'Leary

Tom Youngs

Marino Keith

Roberto Martinez

Mark Tinker

Adam Nowland

Conal Platt

Diego Fuser

But also some players had to leave due to the financial problems at Adams Park

Andy Savage

Stevie Claridge

David Perpetuini

Gus Uhlenbeek

Russell Martin

Nathan Tyson

Shahad Ahmed

Craig Falconbridge

Danny Senda

Taking into account the new signings and the departures I was overall hopeful for the coming season.

But the campaign would turn out to be a disaster for the rookie manager, the team was inconsist, was not gelling well and some players were having trouble settling in at Wycombe.

The results for the season went like this:

Bournemouth 2-0 Wycombe

Wycombe 2-1 Morcombe

Cheltenham 3-0 Wycombe

Wycombe 2-0 Notts County

Northampton 1-0 Wycombe

Chester 2-0 Wycombe

Wycombe 3-0 Grimsby

Wycombe 1-1 Swansea

Walsall 2-0 Wycombe

Wycombe 1-1 Bury

Wycombe 1-1 Luton

Wycombe 3-0 Kidderminster

Stockport 1-1 Wycombe

Leyton Orient 3-1 Wycombe

Wycombe 1-0 Bristol Rovers

Wycombe 0-0 Mansfield

Rochdale 0-0 Wycombe

Wycombe 6-1 Billericay

Wrexham 3-3 Wycombe

Yeovil 1-1 Wycombe

Wycombe 1-1 Scunthorpe

Wycombe 1-1 Watford

Wycombe 0-1 Northampton

Watford 1-2 Wycombe

Wycombe 0-2 Darlington

Lincoln 2-1 Wycombe

Exeter 1-1 Wycombe

Wycombe 1-2 Cambridge

Wycombe 0-0 Bournemouth

Birmingham 4-0 Wycombe

Notts County 1-2 Wycombe

Morcombe 1-2 Wycombe

Wycombe 1-2 Cheltenham

Wycombe 0-2 Chester

Grimsby 1-3 Wycombe

Swansea 1-0 Wycombe

Wycombe 2-3 Walsall

Kidderminster 0-2 Wycombe

andybanner2.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> After just under a year at Wycombe Wanderers rookie manager Andy Silk has taken the Port Vale job </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After being offered the job of saving Port Vale from the drop in League 1, Andy Silk has decided to resign from Wycombe and take up the challenge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well after a slightly dissappointing season at Wycombe Wanderers where i expected us to do a lot better than we did, i have decided that now is the right time to take a new job, and the Port Vale chairman has given me the chance to build something great at Port Vale and im looking to make an immediate impact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Said new Port Vale manager Andy Silk

With only 14 games to play and Port Vale languishing deep in relegation trouble I knew it was going to be a hell of a job to keep Vale up this season and had realistically set my sights on getting them back into this division next season. But there was still a chance of safety this season, so i set about bringing in a few new faces on loan and frees.

Even with the new faces and a renewed confidence amongst the players already there, the challenge of keeping Port Vale in league 1 was too great and they were relagted on the last day of the season. We finally finished in 21st postion just 3 points from safety. It had been a tremendous effort from the players to save the club but unfortunatley we would be playing League 2 football next season.

The results from the last 14 games of the season went as follows:

Rushden 4-0 Port Vale

Brighton 5-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-2 Watford

Port Vale 0-0 Tranmere

Port Vale 0-1 Plymouth

Bristol City 0-1 Port Vale

Hartlepool 3-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-1 Swindon

Blackpool 0-0 Port Vale

Boston 3-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-0 Huddersfield

Torquay 0-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-1 Luton

Oldham 0-1 Port Vale

So after relegation to League 2 my aim for next season was to gain automatic promotion back up to League 1. Hopefully a few new signings should see us achieve that goal.

Until next time,

Andy Silk

keithbanner2.jpg

new beggining at chester and a poor start in pre- season 5 games 1 win 2 draws and 2 defeats

win against montrose draws with stirling and millwall and defeats from morecombe and worksop

so the season started with high hopes started well with to draws with top teams in league 2

blackpool 1-1

notts county 2-2 after being 2-0 down great comeback

the rest of the results are as follows

kidderminster 0-2

darlington 0-3 down to 9 men (dodgy ref)

cambridge 1-2

and finally a league cup game against leeds which i went down 2-0 good revenue in for this game.

even though chester are in the bottom half of the table the chester manager is up beat that he can turn it around and get promoted this season

dalebanner.jpg

Good Start From Notts County

Dale Smurthwaite's Notts County side have made a very positive start to the new campaign and I'm sure that this will be a successful season if this form keeps up.

With 6 games played so far, Smurthwaite will be happy that ony 2 of those have been losses. A couple of players have also joined the club and these are :

PLAYERS IN

GK - Michael McGovern - £5k from Celtic

DRC - Sam Togwell - £0 from UWIC

D/DMC - Igor Guzelov - £5k from Shakhtar

AM/FRC - Jonas Andre Holberg - £2k from Steinkjer

PLAYERS OUT

AML - Tony Scully - £4k to Shrewsbury

GK - Shaun Allway - £8k to Chester

GK - Curtis Aspden - £2 to Havant & W

D/DMRC - Lee White - £40k to Tranmere

Smurthwaite also narrowly missed out on signing ex-Premiership star Andy Cole, with the striker choosing to go to Aberdeen instead. Perhaps worth another look later in the season.

As I said earlier there have been six matches so far this season; five League 2 games and one League Cup match. Here is a run-down of results.

Results So Far

York 2 V Notts Co 4

A superb start to the season and even more-so for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who scored all 4 goals and make himself a very wanted man by other teams. On loan striker Daniel Sturridge caused many problems up front and there were good games for all new players.

Star Man - Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (Notts Co)

Notts Co 2 V Chester 2

Into the second game and one against fellow human manager Keith Tinker, who's Chester side made a very good comeback after going 2-0 down to goals by Sturridge and Ebanks-Blake.

Star Man - Alex Gildea (Notts Co)

Notts Co 0 V Blackpool 1

A tough game here as newly relegated Blackpool played a very good game but only won 1-0. A good fight by Notts Co there. Notts Co's Kjell Thu didn't have the best of games though. Blackpool hitman Kiegan Parker was marked out of the game by Notts Co new boy Igor Guzelov.

Star Man - Richie Wellens (Blackpool)

Kidderminster 0 V Notts Co 1

A hard fought game this with Gareth Law's goal seperating the two sides. It was a late strike however, and Smurthwaite would try and not be in this situation too often.

Millwall 2 V Notts Co 0 - League Cup 1st Round

The Magpies always knew this would be a tough game, but they played very well until just after the hour mark. Notts Co's performance would have possibly brought them a victory if Mark Smyth had been able to stay on the park. He was sent off in the 7th minute after his second yellow card. There's always the FA Cup guys.

Star Man - Jody Morris (Millwall)

Notts Co 0 V Darlington 0

Smurthwaite was disappointed not to win this game after his team had much more of the play and more shots on goal, but perhaps the League Cup game took some of the wind out of their sails.

Star Man - David Pipe (Notts Co)

Well, I think Smurthwaite is generally very happy with his team thus far and with the club finances looking a lot healthier too after a successful pre-season friendly campaign, thinks are definetely looking up for Notts County.

Until my next report...

DS.

peachbanner2.jpg

Oxford Celebrate Successive Promotions

Oxford Manager James Woodward has once again shocked the football league by guiding Oxford into the Championship. Woodward’s men were expected to battle relegation but have shown other relegation battlers that promotion is a possibility.

Here are the results from Oxfords season:

Oxford 1-0 Bristol City

Oxford 3-0 Hartlepool

Plymouth 3-0 Oxford

Swindon 0-3 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Boston

Huddersfield 0-0 Oxford

Oxford 3-1 Blackpool

Port Vale 1-1 Oxford

Oxford 0-0 Luton

Oldham 1-0 Oxford

Oxford 1-1 MK Dons

Peterbrough 0-1 Oxford

Oxford 3-0 Chesterfield

Shrewsbury 1-3 Oxford

Colchester 2-1 Oxford

Oxford 3-2 Barnsley

Oxford 2-0 Bradford

Torquay 0-2 Oxford

Doncaster 0-3 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Brighton

Watford 2-2 Oxford

Oxford 1-0 Rushden

Hartlepool 1-2 Oxford

Oxford 0-1 Plymouth

Tranmere 3-1 Oxford

Bristol City 0-3 Oxford

Boston 1-1 Oxford

Oxford 1-1 Huddersfield

Oxford 3-0 Swindon

Blackpool 1-1 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Port Vale

Luton 1-3 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Peterborough

Oxford 1-0 Oldham

MK Dons 0-4 Oxford

Chesterfield 1-2 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Colchester

Bradford 1-0 Oxford

Oxford 0-1 Shrewsbury

Barnsley 2-3 Oxford

Brighton 1-2 Oxford

Oxford 2-1 Torquay

Oxford 0-0 Doncaster

Oxford 2-0 Watford

Rushden 1-1 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Tranmere

Manager’s Note:

At the start of the season I expressed the possibility of promotion and extremely pleased that we have achieved it. Many critics wrote us off and in many ways that helped us to become a force in League One. It just shows that any team can gain promotion whatever the circumstances. I am looking forward to next season and have my eyes firmly set on survival, I believe that we can keep Championship status and will do everything in my power to retain it.

Until Next Time

James Woodward

raybanner2.jpg

There were 11 player's who came into the club before the start of the season and they were:

Brad Jones from Middlesbrough on a free

Lee Trundle from Swansea on a free

Gary Clark free

Djalminha free

Kevin Davies free

Ross Blackwell free

David Fox free

Ben Pearson free

Diego Armando Maradona from Cervia for 10k

Carlos Garcia for Espanyol free

Richie Humphreys from Hartlepool for 625k

14 players also left the clib to balance the books and they were:

Julian Joachim to Peterborough for 4k

Kerry Mayo to Shrewsbury for free

Alexis Nicolas to MyPa for free

Mark McCammon to Cambridge for free

Adam El-Abd to Montichiari for 5k

Paul Reid to Perth Glory for 80k

Guy Butters to Ayr for free

Curtis Fleming Free transfer

Nathan Jones free transfer

Joel Lynch to Havant & w for 1k

John Edwards to Grays for free

Chris McPhee to Swindon for 475k

Richard Carpenter to Shrewsbury for 10k

Jake Robinson to Halifax for 18k

Now for around up of the opening 5 games.

Brighton 0 vs 3 Oldham

Not the start we hoped for as we went down 3-0.

Man Of The Match:John Kelly (Oldham)

Brighton 0 vs 1 Luton

Another game another defeat for Brighton.

Man Of The Match:Keith Keane (Luton)

Peterborough 0 vs 2 Brighton

First points and goals for brighton goals came from Maradona and Hart

Man Of The Match:Gary Hart (Brighton)

Swindon 0 vs 0 Brighton

Another Scoreless game, Not much else to say.

Man Of The Match:Brad Jones (Brighton)

Brighton 3 vs 1 Bury League cup 1st round

An impressive display from the Brighton boys saw them over come the bury challenge and progress to the 2nd round of the league cup, Goals came for Djalminha, Trundle and Garcia.

Man Of The Match:Leon Knight (Brighton)

My thoughts

Rubbish absolute Rubbish the lads need to have a long hard look at themselves and decide if they want to stay at Brighton or move else where. We aint got time for prima donas at this club.

Till next time from one angry manager.

Ray.

dalebanner.jpg

Notts County Make Slow Progress

Dale Smurthwaite's Notts County have made a reasonable start to the season. After a good couple of first games, things have slowed a little, but that, in Smurthwaite's opinion, is down to injuries.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake has attracted a lot of interest lately, and I'm not sure if Smurthwaite will be able to keep a hold of him although the in-form striker does appear to be happy at Meadow Lane. Sturridge has begun to knock a few goals in, but he was also injured recently. Alex Gildea was out for 3 weeks with an injury and this might have explained the Magpies' lack of creativity in the midfield. Gildea does seem to be the architecht a lot of the time.

Anyway, here is a run-down of recent results.

Cambridge 3 V Notts Co 3

A very even game here with Cambridge not letting Notts Co out of their sights for the whole match. However they did have much more of the play and probably deserved all 3 points, but Smurthwaite was happy the Cambridge strikers were having an off day.

Star Man - Mark Smyth (Notts Co)

Bradford 3 V Notts Co 1

Much like the League Cup game against Millwall, Smurthwaite knew this would be a hard game against newly relegated Bradford. They are a League 1 side really and showed it on the park. Gareth Law got the consolation goal for Notts Co.

Star Man - Paul Henderson (Bradford)

Notts Co 2 V Yeovil 2

With Sturridge injured, Law started again, but Yeovil played exceptionally well, and deserved the win, but Law's 90th minute goal made sure the points were shared.

Star Man - Chris Moore (Yeovil)

Notts Co 1 V Exeter 1

Smurthwaite was unhappy to win here against an untalented Exeter side. Sturridge started on the bench but knocks to David Pipe and David Carns made the win a little difficult for the Magpies. Returnee Ebanks-Blake scored Notts Co's goal.

Star Man - Paul HUghes (Exeter)

Notts Co 2 V Lincoln 1 - LDV Vans Trophy North 1st Round

An impressive win here considering new boy Igor Guzelov was sent off with a straight red card in the 8th minute for numerous angry comments to the referee. The Magpies held out though for the 3 points that saw them progress to the next round.

Leyton Orient 3 V Notts Co 1

Despite a new defender, new instructions and a good start to the season overall, Notts County are still leaking goals and this game was no wxception. Perhaps a total tactical rethink and change of keeper is required.

Star Man - Mark Yeates (Leyton Orient)

Notts County's next match is against fellow human manager Andy Silk's relegated Port Vale side who will obviously be out to maintain their unbeaten run in League 2. Smurthwaite will be aiming to call a halt to Vale's streak, but will also want to grab some points for his own success. A tactical change is on the cards and there has been a new arrival at Meadow Lane.

Players In

DMC - Kevin Maher - £6k from Southend

No new departures, but there have been numerous offers for Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and maybe one of them will be accepted at some point in the near future, David Pipe is also a wanted man. If Ebanks-Blake does leave the club then Smurthwaite will have to badger his board for a new wage structure otherwise there will not be a replacement good enough for Smurthwaite. In order to attract the quality players, he must be able to pay them the money.

Club finances are still healthy and with progression in the LDV Vans Trophy, there could be more cash in the bank shortly.

Well, best of luck to Mr Smurthwaite in the next few fixtures. Lets hope he can get his team really fired up.

Until my next report...

DS.

damionbanner.jpg

News Of The World

Reports.......

Out of work manager Damion Smart has been appointed as Yeovil manager who are currently sitting mid-table.

Smart quoted that "Every team in this league wants to be promoted and that is what im here to do, we are in a good posistion to try and get up but have many challenges along the way.

When asked how he felt about his first game in charge he said

"Its going to be great to get back in the thick of things and show im still as good as i was when i managed Arsenal a few years back.

Well we will all see soon as his first game is this coming tuesday........

williamsbanner.jpg

SWANDIVE.........

Unfortunatly due to times and commitments I am unable to continue with this clan. I'd like to thank the host & Webmaster, especially Dale whos been commited since FM Fanatics. A great Clan just a shame playing times too early for me. All the best for the future. Cheers

peachbanner3.jpg

Oxford Flying High In The Championship

James Woodward has continued to make waves in the football league by guiding relegation favourites Oxford to 8th place with half the season gone.

Here are the results from Oxfords season so far:

Sunderland 2-0 Oxford

Oxford 0-3 West Ham

Wolves 3-2 Oxford

Oxford 1-0 Plymouth

Norwich 2-1 Oxford

Oxford 3-0 Sheff Utd

Nottm Forest 1-0 Oxford

Oxford 2-1 Cardiff

Oxford 0-1 Hull

Leeds 0-1 Oxford

Oxford 0-1 Crystal Palace

Wigan 2-1 Oxford

Oxford 2-0 Portsmouth

Rotheram 1-3 Oxford

Ipswich 0-2 Oxford

Oxford 1-1 Sheff Wed

Oxford 3-0 Stoke

Preston 2-1 Oxford

Oxford 3-0 Watford

Burnley 0-4 Oxford

Oxford 2-3 Derby

QPR 1-0 Oxford

Manager’s Note:

This has been a very good season so far we have once again excelled all expectations and look very good for a top ten finish and possibly a play-off place.

Until Next Time

James Woodward

peachbanner4.jpg

Woodward, King Of The Palace

James Woodward shocked high flying Oxford today by leaving them for lowly Crystal Palace. The manager who took them there from League Two has revealed that he saw the opportunity of taking over at Palace with the promise of money to spend was too good to turn down. So Woodward takes over at 21st place Palace and has promised survival

Here are the results from his first 2 games:

Crystal Palace 4-0 QPR

Woodward’s first game in charge and fans weren’t quite sure what to expect, but Woodward soon helped them out. In the 1st minute the fans who have had little to cheer about this season were on their feet as Spaniard Pedro Munitis opened the scoring. Goals followed from Torghelle, Routledge and Watson to complete the rout.

Man Of The Match: Sandor Torghelle (Crystal Palace)

Gillingham 1-3 Crystal Palace

Woodward continued to impress with a spirited comeback against Gillingham. Darius Henderson opened the scoring for Gillingham in the 23rd minute, and Palace fans had to wait until the 68th minute for Sandor Torghelle to equalise. After that Palace always looked like winning and late goals from Vasilis Lakis and another from Torghelle gave Palace the win.

Man Of The Match: Sandor Torghelle (Crystal Palace)

Manager’s Note

Firstly I would like to thank the Oxford fans, players & board for the support that they showed me during my time there and hopefully they can understand my reasons for leaving. But now I am here at Palace I am fully concentrated on the job in hand and believe that I have inherited a very talented squad that shouldn’t be in this position. I believe that promotion would be hard to gain at this point of the season but nothing is impossible and I have showed that in the past.

Until Next Time

James Woodward

raybanner2.jpg

I made one extra signing since you last heard from me, Just to give the team that extra edge i thought we missed.

His name is Agustin Delgado

Now for around up of the game's thats been played.

Results:

Brighton 0 vs 1 Northampton

Poor display yet again these lads really need to listen to what iam saying.

Man Of The Match:Gary Hart (Brighton)

Scunthorpe 2 vs 1 Brighton

Yet another defeat goal came from Djalminha

Man Of The Match:Richard Kell(Scunthorpe)

Brighton 3 vs 3 Millwall

An impressive display shame about the defence goals came from goals came from Wolleaston, Knight and Slabber.

Man Of The Match:Jamie Slabber (Brighton)

Brighton 3 vs 1 Mk Dons league cup 2nd round

A good result here could of had more but iam just glad i won, Goals came from Trundle(2) and Delgado.

Man Of The Match:Lee Trundle (Brighton)

Tranmere 2 vs 0 Brighton

Another game another loss just no from my team at the moment.

Man Of The Match:Leon Knight (Brighton)

Brighton 1 vs 0 Brentford LDV trophy 1st round

This game is critically to my hopes for this season we came away with the point's that is all that matters now, Goal came from Delgado after extra time.

Man Of The Match:Neil Alexander (Brentford)

Brighton 2 vs 1 Barnsley

How we all love a win and this one is no exception goals came from Knight and Delgado.

Man Of The Match:Andy Kay(Barnsley)

Boston 0 vs 3 Brighton

Were on a roll looking good for Brighton again goals from Hart, Delgado and Knight.

Man Of The Match:Agustin Delgado (Brighton)

Bristol C 0 vs 1 Brighton

And the recent run continues goal came from Knight.

Man Of The Match:Deam Hammond (Brighton)

Brighton 4 vs 1 Colchester

A goal frenzy they came from Knight(2) and Trundle(2).

Man Of The Match:Deam Hammond (Brighton)

Brighton 0 vs 1 Newcastle Utd League cup 2nd round

The team i love more than any other came too town we were very unlucky to lose.

Man Of The Match:Krisztian Lisztes(Newcastle)

Doncaster 1 vs 0 Brighton

Well the recent good run we were having in the league has came to an end.

Man Of The Match:Jermaine McSporran(Doncaster)

Swindon 0 vs 1 Brighton

Back to winning ways the only goal came from Trundle.

Man Of The Match:Brad Jones (Brighton)

Walsall 0 vs 3 Brighton

Well we win again goals came from Hammond, Delgado and Knight.

Man Of The Match:Robert Wolleaston (Brighton)

Brighton 3 vs 0 Torquay

Another win as the brighton up there promotion push goals came from Kelly and Delgado(2).

Man Of The Match:Sean Kelly(Brighton)

Brighton 3 vs 1 Rochdale F.a Cup 1st round

Going in to the hat for the next round is all we wanted and we got it goals came from Wolleaston and Knight(2)

Man Of The Match:Leon Knight(Brighton)

Brighton 1 vs 1 Mk Dons

Delgado scored the goal that got us just the point.

Man Of The Match:Adam Virgo(Brighton)

Brighton 2 vs 0 Grimsby

Goals came from Delgado and a jones OG.

Man Of The Match:Gary Hart(Brighton)

Brighton 6 vs 0 Wycombe LDV trophy qtr Final

Total football as i like to call it we played them off the park goals came from Trundle, Hart, Delgado(2) and Knight(2).

Man Of The Match:Agustin Delgado(Brighton)

My thoughts

Going well so far hoping to add a trophy to the cabinet this season icon_wink.gif.

Till Next time.

Ray.

icon_smile.gif

dalebanner.jpg

Magpies Flying High

In a fantastic reversal of form, Dale Smurthwaite's Notts County side have started staking claims to automatic promotion from League 2 this year. Although they currently lie in 5th place after 31 matches, 2nd place Cambridge are just 5 points ahead so there is all to play for.

There have been no players in or out since my last report, so its straight onto the results.

Notts Co 1 V Port Vale 0

In a game that could have gone either way, Notts Co beat fellow human manager Andy Silk's Port Vale side by a Ebanks-Blake goal at the end of the game. Lee Hollis replaced Michael McGovern in goal and it seemed to do the trick as Port Vale had many shots saved.

Stockport 0 V Notts Co 2

The form was already starting to pick up and Notts County managed not to concede any goals here. A step in the right direction. Thu and Ebanks-Blake scored one each.

Star Man - Kjell Andre Thu (Notts Co)

Notts Co 3 V Wrexham 2

A great fightback here from Smurthwaite's team. A good tactical change freed up Ebanks-Blake a lot more and he scored two late goals to take the 3 points. David Pipe also missed a penalty.

Notts Co 0 V Crewe 2 - LDV Vans Trophy North 2nd Round

A tough game here against a Legaue 1 side and after James Coppinger was sent off in the 16th minute, it was all over really. The League is more important.

Star Man - Kenny Lunt (Crewe)

Bournemouth 1 V Notts Co 3

Back to business as usual in the league and Notts Co were 3-0 up at half time. Bournemouth grabbed a consolation goal but it wasn't enough.

Mansfield 0 V Notts Co 3

With Ebanks-Blake injured, Jonas Andre Holberg stepped in and got himself a goal to add to the other two by Thu and Law and take home the 3 points.

Star Player - Kjell Andre Thu (Notts Co)

Macclesfield 2 V Notts Co 0 - FA Cup 1st Round

It was straight down to earth with a bump as non league Macclesfield put Notts County out of the FA Cup. Smurthwaite wasn't too diappointed to go out of the competition although he would have preferred it to have been to a league side.

Star Man - Michael McGovern (Notts Co)

Notts Co 1 V Bristol Rovers 1

A pretty even affair with neither side taking their chances. Gareth Law adds to his season total.

Notts Co 1 V Lincoln 0

Another game similar to the match against Port Vale earlier. A late goal by Gareth Law giving Notts Co the 3 points.

Bury 0 V Notts Co 3

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake put himself a clear top of the League 2 goalscorers table here with a nice brace. Again, Notts Co didn't concede.

Notts Co 1 V Cheltenham 2

New boy Kevin Maher got his first and hopefully only red card here and it cost Notts County some points. They go home with nothing.

Notts Co 1 V Dag & Red 0

Thu scored for Notts Co to give them the 3 points but it could have only been one as Dagenham's Tony Boot missed a penalty in the 65th minute.

Shrewsbury 1 V Notts Co 1

Notts Co defended well here and it should have been a win for Shrewsbury. However, the Magpies managed to scrape a point from the encounter.

Star Man - Igor Guzelov (Notts Co)

Swansea 5 V Notts Co 3

The Magpies were outclassed by on loan Chelsea player, Filipe Oliveira who scored 4. Notts County scored 3 though, but it wasn't enough.

Star Man - Filipe Oliveira (Swansea)

Notts Co 3 V Wycombe 0

The last defeat didn't dishearten Notts Co any and they go on to win this match 3-0. Ebanks-Blake scoring 2 again.

Notts Co 1 V York 1

A very unexciting game here with Notts County scoring both goals. Unfotunately one of them was an Igor Guzelov own goal and so the points were shared.

Star Man - Alistair Asher (Notts Co)

Chester 3 V Notts Co 3

The festive period is taking its toll on the Notts County players now, as it always does. They managed to save a point from the game, but they were outplayed for much of the game.

Star Man - Stewart Drummond (Chester)

Blackpool 4 V Notts Co 1

Nothing was expected here as Blackpool cruised to victory. they deserve to be back in League 1 and it looks like they'll do it by winning League 2 this season.

Star Man - Martin Bullock (Blackpool)

Notts Co 5 V Kidderminster 1

Afetr the disappointing defeat by Blackpool, Smurthwaite must have thought he would dish out a beating of his own and Kidderminster were unlucky to be the next fixture. Braces from Sturridge and Ebank-Blake added to by Alex Gildea's first goal of the season, won the 3 points for County.

Darlington 0 V Notts Co 3

Winning ways continue and the same scorers were on the sheet for Notts County. Both teams played well though but it was the Magpies finishing that secured the game for them.

Notts Co 1 V Cambridge 2

2nd in the league came to town but managed to scrape the 3 points as both teams were actually pretty even for the whole match.

Star Man - Kevin Maher (Notts Co)

Exeter 3 V NOtts Co 5

A very very deserved win here for Notts County. Smurthwaite has been speaking to Jose Mourinho I think because two very good tactical changes altered the course of this game completely. Exeter were 2-0 up at one stage, but Notts County got back into it and eventually overran Exeter to win the 3 points. Best game of the season so far.

Star Man - Gareth Law (Notts Co)

Yeovil 3 V Notts Co 5

I've seen this scoreline before...well, yes, but it was a much differnt affair. An administrative error meant goalkeeper Michael McGovern was on as a striker and striker Sturridge was in goal. Before it had been noticed, McGovern had scored 2 and Smurthwaite decided to leave him on the field as a forward in the hopes he got a hat-trick. Hollis replace Sturridge in goal though. Notts County really took a hold of this game early on and kept the momentum going for the rest of the match. 3 points in the bag.

Well thats all results up to date dear readers. Notts County's next fixture is against Leyton Orient at home and they will be looking for revenge for the defeat by Orient earlier in the season.

Smurthwaite was asked his opinion on how things were going.

{QUOTE]I'm ecstatic about the lads' form just now. I don't know if we are gonna be able to keep a hold of some of our better players, but I think that if we can bring some success to the club, they will stay. Thy're pretty loyal to me or they would've gone already.

Confident words from Dale Smurthwaite there, but I believe that Notts County's time is at hand and if this form continues, I will be reporting on League 1 games next season.

Nosmo King signing off.

Until my next report...

DS.

andybanner2.jpg

Port Vale looking to bounce straight back up!!

After last seasons disappointing relegation from League 1 Andy Silks Port Vale team are looking for an immediate return to the higher division. And with no major names departing in the summer and a few arrivals the prospect of promotion looks likely to be a realistic one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We will be aiming for the top 3 places this season, and anything less will be regarded as a failure on my part. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Said manager Andy Silk

The new signings at the start of the season were as follows:

Clarke Carlisle[\B], a big name signing from Championship side Leeds with tonnes of experience, he should form the backbone of the side in the coming season.

Stephen Cooke, another relatively big name signing for a League 2 side, coming from Aston Villa the youngster has a lot to prove and should be another good signing for Port Vale.

Carl McNally, a young attacking midfielder from Birmingham who should have a bright future ahead of him with Port Vale.

Carlos Magalhaes, young Portuguese goalkeeper who should eventually replace Ian Bennett who is coming to the end of his contract this season.

The first 20 fixtures of the season went like this:

Bournemouth 1-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-0 Bristol Rovers

Bury 0-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-0 Cheltenham

Port Vale 1-1 Sheff Wed (League Cup 1st Round)

Shrewsbury 2-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-1 Dag & Red

Port Vale 2-0 Wycombe

York 2-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-0 Swansea

Mansfield 0-2 Port Vale (LDV Vans 1st Round)

Port Vale 4-0 Chester

Notts County 1-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 3-0 Kidderminster

Darlington 2-0 Port Vale

Scunthorpe 0-2 Port Vale (LDV Vans 2nd Round)

Port Vale 1-1 Bradford City

Port Vale 0-1 Cambridge Utd

Port Vale 1-1 Leigh RMI (FA CUP 1st Round)

Yeovil 0-0 Port Vale

Port Vale march on!

The season has started with a bang for a confident Port Vale side, after only losing 3 times in the first 20 games of the season. The mood in the Port Vale camp is a good one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> After a decent start to the season i am pleased with the way we have been playing and am hopefull for us to push on and continue this form all season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Said Andy Silk

The following transfers occured during the next part of the season:

IN

Njabuliso Simelane (Free)

Steve Basham (3k)

dani Rodrigues (6k)

Sos Yao (Free)

Peter NIlsson (2k)

Joe Burnell (14k)

Andrew Gooding (Free)

Rhys Day (Part Ex)

David Schofield (Free)

OUT

Mark Goodlad (14k)

Ian Bennett (10k)

Simon Eldershaw (26k)

George Pilkington (45k)

Levi Reid (Part Ex)

The next set of results went as follows:

Leigh RMI 0-4 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-1 Leyton Orient

Halifax 2-2 Port Vale (LDV Vans Qtr Final)

Crewe 0-0 Port Vale (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Exeter 1-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-0 Blackpool

Port Vale 1-2 Crewe (FA Cup 2nd Round Replay)

Port Vale 2-0 Wrexham

Stockport 2-3 Port Vale

Mansfield 0-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-0 Lincoln

Port Vale 1-1 Bournemouth

Bristol Rovers 3-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-0 Bury

Cheltenham 1-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-2 Shrewsbury

Port Vale 2-0 Grimsby (LDV Vans Semi Final)

Port Vale 4-1 Swansea

Dag & Red 2-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-0 York

Port Vale still in there with promotion shout

With Port Vale only 3 points off the 3rd promotion place they are still in with a shout of clinching automatic promotion even after a poor run of recent form.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Despite a rather disappointing run lately we are still in the LDV Vans regional final and are only 3 points off automatic promotionm, so we still have everything to play for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Said Andy Silk

Coming up to the pivital part season Port Vale will be hoping that their stuttering run is behind them and that they can push on and get the last automatic promotion spot.

We will just have to see whether or not they can do it.....

Until next time

Andy Silk

Guest saiba693

sebbanner.jpg

Stockport County fans had mixed feelings over the appointment of relative unknown Seb Lang.....A local boy with a strong desire to win, but no management experience at all?! Will he cope?

Lang seemed upbeat when interviewed about the team's chances of reclaiming past glories (coca-cola cup 4th round 1812)......

"There's a good group of lads in the team and admittedly most of them are going to be kicked out to be replaced by Estonians who'll work for a sixteenth of the wage, but at least morale is high"

From the outset, it seems Lang will be a ruthless manager.....but does he have the tactical know-how to turn the Edgeley Park minnows into Premiership greats?!

Next Post:- First Transfers

gordonbanner.jpg

*Wanderers TV comes back from a break ad we are shown the entrance of Adams Park*

*A Wycombe News reporter is standing outside Adams Park*

Wycombe Reporter: Welcome all Wanderers fans! Some amazing news from Adams Park!

Wycombe Reporter: Ivor Beeks has sensationaly appointed Unknown scottish Manager Gordon Macari

Wycombe Reporter: Macari is apparently a Harry Redknapp kind of manager,always able to spot a bargin!

*The reporter walks over to the gates of Adms Park wherr Chairman Ivor Beeks is standing with new Wycombe manager Gordon Macari*

Wycombe Reporter: So Mr Beeks,why bring in a new manager at this time in the season & Why is that man Mr Macari ?

Ivor Beeks: Well,i felt it was time for a change.......an looking around the league's i wanted to find a good old British style manager......but i was at a loss,untill my first meeting with Gordon!

Ivor Beeks: Right from that point,i knew he was the man i wanted,ive got a feeling he can lead Wycombe to unscalde heights,but why dont you ask the man himself........

*Ivor Beeks brings in to the frame Gordon Macari*

Wycombe Reporter: Well,Hello Mr Macari

Gordon Macari: Thanks..Call me Gordon,we're all family here!

Wycombe Reporter: Glad to hear that Gordon,So myself like most Wycombe fans are all wondring the same thing.....What do you have in store for Wycombe Wanderers!?

Gordon Macari: First of all,id like to thank Mr Beeks for giving me the chance of managin a great club like Wycombe! Now to the point......i see Wycombe as a huge club with fantastic support! So with that in mind i see them playing at a higher level,which is where i plan to take....all the way to the Premiership!!!

Wycombe Reporter: Do you honestly belive that Gordon?

Gordon Macari: Of Course i do,i wouldnt be here if i didnt! This season promotion is still possible but ive talked to Mr Beeks and we belive it might be a bit too much to hope for that this season,but next year i promise to Mr Beeks,Yourself and all the fans out there that i will take Wycombe to League 1 and beyond....Onwards & Upwards!

Gordon Macari: Now thanks for the welcome but i must be going as ive got some transfer business to do in Russia......So i Moscow!

Gordon Macari: Nah,im kidding...although i do have some new faces in the pipeline so id better get to work!

*Gordon Macari & Mr Beeks walk in to thr grounds and towards the office's*

Wycombe Reporter: Well,personally im impressed with him,although like all other Wycombe fans,im sure we are all waiting to see how he does on the park!

Wycombe Reporter: A New era has dawned at Adams Park.........and in the words of the new manager 'Onwards & Upwards!!'

michaelbanner.jpg

Bournemouth name MICHAEL CAHILL as new manager.

Whilst the previous manager had bournemouth gunning for the playoffs the big boss at the club has been speaking to several first team players and it has been revealed that the players wanted some fresh blood injected into the team and were unhappy with the managers training methods. The chairman at the club responded immediatley by sacking the manager.

Several bookies had paid out on brian little leaving his current employers and going to manage the club where his dad played over 400 games, and the club he and his family held close to their hearts. Now today it has been a suprise appointment and the man to get the hot seat is rookie manager Michael Cahill who quite frankly has never been heard of before.

In a brief press confrence Cahill said <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I am delighted to have been given my chance in managment and have a few of my own ideas to put into this MEGA promotion push, i promise to do every thing i can to get the best out of the players and win promotion for this wonderfull football club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

COME ON BOURNEMOUTH

dalebanner.jpg

Smurthwaite Flies The Magpies' Nest

In an extraordinary turnaround in events and totally unexpected, Notts County manager and fans' favourite Dale Smurthwaite has sensationally quit the club. The news broke just as The Magpies were about to play Leyton Orient at home and the rumour on the grapevine is that he has secretly negotiated with struggling League 1 outfit, Barnsley.

There were no more fixtures for Notts County under Smurthwaite's leadership so all there is for me to do is go and enroll at the Job Seekers Club and hope that another reporting job comes along. Its either that or get a few mates and do a strip show at Nottingham town hall on Saturday night.

Nosmo King signing off...for now...

dalebanner2.jpg

Smurthwaite Takes On Tykes Challenge

Barnsley chairman Peter Risdale today revealed former Notts County manager Dale Smurthwaite as his new man in charge at the Oakwell Stadium. In a statement Smurthwaite said :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would like to say first of all to the Notts County fans that I am sorry I had to leave so quickly but the new man in charge there will do a great job and complete the work I already started and get The Magpies promoted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Secondly, I am flattered that Mr. Risdale has shown faith in my managerial skills and I hope I can fulfill his expectations for the club. League 1 survival is priority this season and rebuilding the squad in the close and pre-seasons ready for next season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, what do you know, Smurthwaite requested that I, Nosmo KIng, carry on reporting for Barnsley and so I am on a rolling month to month contract which is just as well, because I have a show with the lads on Saturday night at the town hall. I might cancel though icon_wink.gif

PLAYERS IN

DL - Ben Andrews - £20k from Notts County

ST - Gareth Law - £200k from Notts County

AMLC - Alex Gildea - £230k from Notts County

STR - Sylvan Ebanks-Blake - £450 from Notts County

DC - Michael Duberry - Free Transfer from Crystal Palace

DC/DMC - Igor Guzelov - £180k from Notts County

DMC - Giannis Skopelitis - £16k from Portsmouth

PLAYERS OUT

MRC - Nicky Wroe - £20 to Halifax

DLC - Tony Vaughan - £7k to Tranmere

Thats all the transfers up to date, lets move onto the fixtures so far under Smurthwaite's management.

Barnsley 1 V Brighton 0

A human manager opponent to start with and an even game just tipped Barnsley's way to get Smurthwaite off to a good start.

Star Man - Brad Jones (Brighton)

Bristol City 1 V Barnsley 2

This game should have gone to the home team, but a good fightng spirit gave Barnsley the 3 points with Law and Ebanks-Blake carrying on from where they left off at Notts Co.

Star Man - Jamie Ashdown (Barnsley)

Barnesley 3 V Colchester 1

Wow, Smurthwaite couldn't have wished for a better start to his career at Barnsley. An Ebanks-Blake hatrick. Very happy fans and players all round. Well, apart from Colchester.

Star Man - Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (Barnsley)

Doncaster 2 V Barnsley 0

Back down with a bump here as the better side won on the day. The Barnsley players must still be adjusting.

Star Man - Bareth Williams (DOncaster)

Barnsley 0 V Torquay 4

n uphill struggle all the way here and when Tony Vaughan was sent off in the 37th minute, the game was over. A late Torqay hatrick compounded the score.

Star Man - Adebayo Akinfenwa (Torquay)

Walsall 0 V Barnsley 1

A great start with a Barnsley goal in the 1st minute. Andrews was sent off for Barnsley just before half-time, and so Smurthwaite decided to defend the 1-0 advantage and take the 3 points.

Star Man - Michael Duberry (Barnsley)

Barnsley 1 V MK Dons 1

An even game here, but maybe MK DOns deserved better. However, it was not to be and the points were shared.

Star Man - Danny Hall (MK Dons)

Barnsley 0 V Grimsby 0

Smurthwaite's team should have had the win here, but his strikers had an off day. however, Barnsley are surviving and may stay up this season after all.

Star Man - Terrell Forbes (Grimsby)

So those are the results so far. With only 7 games of the season remaining, its very possible for Smurthwaite to keep his new team in League 1 for next season. Barnsley currently reside in 17th position in the league and they are 5 ponts clear of he relegation zone. That is good news for the fans.

Dale Smurthwaite needs time to adjust to his new surroundings and I'm sure that he will be looking to add to his squad for next season, given that funds will be of a more generous nature, thanks to Peter Risdale.

Good Luck Dale,

Until my next report...

DS.

gordonbanner.jpg

As Macari sets his sights on his first game in charge he decide's the sqaud needs a little experience.

So after a few phone calls he brings in three elderly players who possess quality and bags of experience:

Transfers In : Michael Hughes

Eoin Jess

Duncan Ferguson

Paul McQuade(Young Scottish Stk)

The first game is upon us.........

Wycombe 2 - Wrexham 2

Both sides competing very passionatly,Wycombe holding the lead untill the 89 min when they lost concentration for a second and paid for it dearly!

MOM : Adam Nowland

Mansfield 1 - Wycombe 1

first away game and another draw! Gong down to 10 men with the sending off of Michael Hughes didnt make it any easier at Feild Mill. Good team performance to hold out for the draw after some strong pressure.

MOM : Tom Youngs

Wycombe 2 - Port Vale 1

Great perfomance here and Macari's first 3 points.

MOM : Carlos Magalhaes(Port Vale GK)

Wycombe 0 - Lincoln 1

Lincoln showed great grit and determination to take all three points.

MOM : Matt Bloomer(Lincoln)

Bournemouth 1 - Wycombe 1

An even match is settled with a dodgey penalty award to Bournemouth.

MOM : Marino Keith

Wycombe 2 - Bristol Rovers 1

So much in this game,Sending off's,pently misses but after all the drama Wycombe hold on to the valueable 3 points.

MOM : Clayton Ince(Rovers GK)

Bury 2 - Wycombe 1

A really disapointing performance from Wycombe here as they struggle agaienst a well organised Bury side.

MOM : Mark Philo

Wycombe 0 - Cheltenham 1

The referee has a lot of explaing to do after awarding a disputed penalty.

MOM : Tony Csig(Cheltenham GK)

*Seven games left of the season and promotion is still a possibility although a tough ask!*

*With preperation already underway for next year's campagin Macari has secured a few player's signatures he hope's will take his team to league 1*

Future Transfers in : Stuart Niven DMC £O

Chris Moore STK £0

Thomas Pinault AMC £0

Mattew Tipton STK £0

* Macari is casting his eye far and wide,on the look out for more players to make this sqaud strong enough*

* Till next time.............*

*Macca 8*

andybanner2.jpg

Vale fail in automatic promotion bid!

Port Vale have missed out on an automatic promtion position by just 3 points. After being in and around the top 3 for the whole season, it must be a big blow to the side to have to enter the play-offs. We will have to see whether they can get over this disappointment and recover in time for the play-offs. To add to that disappointment they also missed out on a place in the LDV Vans Final after losing 3-0 to Crewe on aggregate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well obviously the players are a bit down after missing out on the last day of the season, but they know as well as i do that there is no point dwelling on it. We've just got to now concentrate on the play-offs and gain promotion that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> said Andy Silk

There were no new arrivals in the final part of the season, but the following transfers were arranged for the end of the season;

In

Luke Guttridge; a good attacking midfielder who has the ability to play at a higher level.

Matt Lockwood; an experienced left sided player who can play in defence and midfield.

Peter Holmes; centre midfielder who has come from the non leagues, but should add depth to the squad.

Shaun Maher; a central defender who has had a fantastic season with Bournemouth.

Unfortunatly there are also 2 confirmed departures for the summer, with Nathan Lowndes being the most disappointing as he has been the clubs top scorer for 2 of the last 3 seasons

Out

Nathan Lowndes; going to League 1 winners Luton Town, where we are all sure he will be a success.

Sam Collins; joining Rochdale on a free transfer.

The results for the final part of the season went like this;

Chester 2-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-1 Crewe (LDV Vans Regional Final 1st leg)

Port Vale 0-1 Notts County

Wycombe 2-1 Port Vale

Kidderminster 0-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-0 Darlington

Crewe 2-0 Port Vale (LDV Vans regional Final 2nd leg)

Port Vale 2-0 Exeter

Cambridge 0-2 Port Vale

Bradford City 1-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 4-0 Yeovil

Port Vale 1-0 Stockport

Leyton Orient 1-0 Port Vale

Blackpool 0-0 Port Vale

Wrexham 1-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 3-0 Mansfield

Lincoln 0-1 Port Vale

So despite winning on the final day, Port Vale missed out on 3rd spot, as Cambridge also won that day. Port Vale finish 4th in League 2 with 22 wins, 13 draws and 11 losses. We reached the 2nd round of the FA Cup, losing to Crewe. We went out in the 1st round of the League Cup, losing 3-2 on penaltys to Sheffield Wednesday of League 1. In the LDV Vans Trophy we went out to Crewe, for the second time this season, in the Regional Final. So after a lot of highs and lows this season, Port Vale will be hoping to cap off a rollercoster season with promotion to League 1 through the play-offs.

Until next time,

Andy Silk

raybanner2.jpg

Iam just about to board my plane to south america to scout on some new talent for this wonderfull club.

But before i do that i will give you a quick run down of this seasons results.

Results:

Luton 1 vs 0 Brighton F.A Cup 2nd round

Rushden 1 vs 1 Brighton

Hartlepool 1 vs 2 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 0 Chesterfield

Brighton 0 vs 0 Crewe

Luton 3 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 7 vs 2 Peterborough

Brentford 1 vs 6 Brighton

Oldham 2 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 5 vs 0 Swindon

Northampton 1 vs 4 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 0 Rushden LDV semi Final

Millwall 1 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 1 Scunthorpe

Brighton 3 vs 3 Tranmere

Barnsley 1 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 1 Luton LDV Southern Semi 1st leg

Bristol C 1 vs 0 Brighton

Colchester 0 vs 4 Brighton

Brighton 0 vs 0 Doncaster

Brighton 3 vs Boston Utd

Torquay 1 vs 2 Brighton

Luton 1 vs 1 Brighton LDV Southern semi final 2nd leg

Brighton 0 vs 1 Walsall

Brighton 3 vs 0 Rushden

Grimsby 3 vs 2 Brighton

MK Dons 1 vs 3 Brighton

Brighton 0 vs 2 Huddersfield

Brighton 2 vs 0 Crewe LDV Final

Chesterfeild 0 vs 3 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 0 Hartlepool

Crewe 0 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 0 vs Brentford

Final league postion was 4th

Well one trophy in the bag, But we would swap it for promotion any day.

So come on the lad's we got the Playoffs now.

I will be seeing you after the playoffs.

icon_smile.gif

peachbanner4.jpg

Woodward Guides Palace To Mid-Table Safety

When James Woodward took over at Crystal Palace things were looking pretty grim at Selhurst Park, but now 5 months later Palace are safe and sitting in 13th place in the Championship with one game left.

Here are the results:

Crystal Palace 0-2 Derby

Crystal Palace 1-2 Sunderland

West Ham 1-2 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 1-2 Wolves

Plymouth 2-0 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 1-1 Norwich

Sheff Utd 0-4 Crystal Palace

Crystal Place 0-0 Nottm Forest

Leeds 0-0 Crystal Palace

Hull 2-1 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2-1 Oxford

Cardiff 2-2 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 3-1 Wigan

Portsmouth 1-2 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 0-1 Rotheram

Stoke 1-1 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 5-3 Preston

Crystal Palace 2-1 Ipswich

Crystal Palace 0-2 Sheff Wed

Watford 1-3 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 0-1 Burnley

Managers Note:

I am pleased with how things are going at Palace at the minute, I still believe I made the right choice in leaving Oxford and am looking forward to next season where I believe we will put in a very strong title challenge.

Until Next Time

[/i]James Woodward[/i]

dalebanner2.jpg

Tykes Set For League 1 Again

Dale Smurthwaite's newly inherited Barnsley team have managed to survive relegation and will play League 1 football again next season. Smurthwaite said in a statement :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"When I came to this club, the first priority was to remain in League 1. I have achieved that and now I can get on with rebuilding the squad and make a bid for promotion to the Championship." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were 7 games remaining at the time of my last report so I'll go through the results now.

Huddersfield 0 V Barnsley 1

A game against another team battling against relegation. An Ebanks-Blake goal seperating the two sides in the 34th minute.

Star Man - Giannis Skopelitis (Barnsley)

Rushden 1 V Barnsley 1

A very tight game that could have gone either way so I suppose the draw was the fair result. Ebanks-Blake on target again for Barnsley.

Star Man - Gary Mills (Rushden)

Barnsley 2 V Chesterfield 1

A win in this game put Barnsley safe from relegation and Smurthwaite could now concentrate on the team itself rather than results.

Star Man - Alex Gildea (Barnsley)

Hartlepool 3 V Barnsley 1

The Tykes were well beaten here and just didn't get out of the starting blocks. Gildea scored Barnsley's consolation penalty.

Star Man - Joel Porter (Hartlepool)

Barnsley 1 V Crewe 1

Richard Kell scored an early goal for Barnsley and then spoiled his performance by getting a straight red card at the end of the match. Disappointing but at least it was a point.

Star Man - Neil Cutler (Crewe)

Brentford 2 V Barnsley 1

Brentford's Steve Hunt ran the the show here and his team deserved the win. They had more of the ball and Gildea could only score a consolation goal for Barnsley.

Star Man - Steve Hunt (Brentford)

Barnsley 0 V Luton 1

Smurthwaite's team were unlucky not to get the 1-1 draw they deserved, but a tired Gildea missed a penalty in the 5th minute and they never really got going after that.

Star Man - Mark Lynch (Luton)

So that was the end of the season and Barnsley stayed up in League 1. Smurthwaite was happy with the outcome and told me that he intends to bring some real quality to his team ready for next season.

Polish goalkeeper Mariusz Liberda has already agreed a contract with Barnsley and it looks as if he will replace Jamie Ashdown as the number one keeper.

End Of Season Report

Dale Smurthwaite managed Notts County for the majority of the season and his hard work put them in such a position that they could gain promotion whoever was in charge. Peter Risdale then came in and offered Smurthwaite the manager's position at League 1 side Barnsley. After some deliberation, Dale decided to accept Risdale's offer, claiming that the financial benefits out-weighed his personal feelings for Notts County.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"In order to progress in management, you sometimes have to take a risk and thats what I did. It has payed off though, as I can now bring to Barnsley, the sort of player that has quality, experience and is affordable to us." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets grab a few more words with Dale...

Are you happy with your current squad?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We have some very good players here at Barnsley. McPhail is one amonst others that I brought from Notts County, but I will be looking to add some new faces to this squad if we are to prgress anywhere soon." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone in mind?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Neil Mellor is top of my shopping list. I know he is unhappy at Ipswich and he worked with me on loan at Notts County so I know he's good enough for Barnsley. Other than him, I'm looking to bolster the defence as its a bit thin on the ground." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Mr. Risdale. Working well with him?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"We have no problems at this time and he is making funds available for me so I'm not gonna complain about my chairman icon_wink.gif" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Expectations for the coming season Dale?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I'm hoping for us to be a candidate for at least the playoffs, but if we get a good run, there are 3 automatic promotion spots you know?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dale, we'll talk soon.

Well after a season of change for Dale Smurthwaite, it looks as if he is intent on sticking it out with The Tykes and try and win something. A fresh team, a fresh start, and some fresh confindence is definately in the air at The Oakwell Stadium. Lets hope Smurthwaite's confidence is well placed.

Until my next report...

DS.

gordonbanner.jpg

As this season comes to a close,Gordon Macari's Wycombe did not achieve promotion,so next year will be another long hard season in league 2.

This season finished with a mixed bag of resilts:

Shrewsbury 1 - Wcombe 2

Wycombe 0 - Blackpool 0

Wycombe 0 - Dag & Red 1

Swansea 1 - Wycombe 2

Wycombe 4 - York 2

Chester 3 - Wycombe 1

Wycombe 1 - Notts Co 3

Some good work in the transfer market has seen Macari improve this squad dramaticly.

In comes League two top scorer Chris Moore,who macari is hoping can form a lethal partnership up front.

Also two youngsters from the Crystal Palace youth academy Phil atkinson & Phil Johnson,both with bright futures and both garenteed first team football.

Macaris hopes to reshape the squad some more over the next few weeks to ensure automatic promotion.........

till next time..........Upwards & Onwards...The Wycombe Way!!!!!

Macca

gordonbanner.jpg

**END OR SEASON REPORT**

*So here is Wycombe TV reporter Willie Wycombeson,he joined by Wycombe manager Gordon Macari*

Willie Wycombeson : So Mr Macari,how did you find your end of season experience?

Gordon Macari : Well,coming in at the tail end of the season is tough for anyone,but it gave me a chnace to get too know my players and coaching staff so that everyone is rady for this new season togethor.

Willie Wycombeson : Now this will be your first full season in charge,what are your expectations?

Gordon Macari : One word Willie........Promotion! I will take Wycombe up this season,and i intend to make it by auto-matic promotion,but if i have to go up via the playoofs then so be it,but no matter what,Wycombe will be in League 1 next season!

Willie Wycombeson : To achieve this will you have too stengthen your squad?

Gordon Macari : Actually,i think the squad is very strong,but to be honest there are some area's of the team id like to strengthen and i have some people in mind.............

Willie Wycombeson : thank you for your time Gordon,and myself like all Wycombe fans hope you can achieve what you say you will! Good luck!

**END OF REPORT**

raybanner3.jpg

Brighton fail in there playoff bid.

So what now we ask the manager.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well we build upon this season's success and we move to our new stadium. We are full of confidence for the new season we will not fail our fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there was just two results to report on and they were the Playoff semi's, But with Austin Delgado injured for both games it was always going to be tough.

Brighton 0 vs 0 Hartlepool 1st leg

Well plenty of chances just not any goals we lacked the clinical finishing skills of our top man.

MOM :Adam Hinshelwood (Brighton)

Hartlepool 2 vs 0 Brighton 2nd leg

Well we needed goals we never got them and we are resigned to another season in league 1.

MOM :Eifion Williams (Hartlepool)

The plans begun straight after the game with the manager announcing the arrival of some new players for the new season and those players were.

Charley Hearn (mc) from Hull for 8k

Lass Staw (Gk) from Mjondalen for 60k

Liam Lawrence (mr) from Sunderland for free

Bram De Ly (dc) from Club Brugge for 4k

Robert Cooke (dc) from Grenta for 20k

Neil Danns (amrc) from Colchester for free

Stefan Moore (fc) on loan for Aston Villa

Two players also left the club they were:

Albert Jarret to Eastbourne Boro for 12k

Leon Knight to Hull for 900k

That about it from me so i'll be saying see ya soon.

Ray

icon_smile.gif

andybanner2.jpg

Port Vale lose Play-off 1st leg Semi-Final

After narrowly missing out on automatic promotion back into League 1, the pressure was all on Port Vale in the play-offs. They were drawn against a revitalised Bournemouth side, who under the guidence of Micheal Cahill, had lost only 1 in the last 7 games. Clearly this was going to be a hard game for any side, and that was how it turned out with Bournemouth winning the first tie.

Bournemouth 1-0 Port Vale

In a very closely fought game that neither side clearly wanted to lose, it took a late strike from young sub Ryan Moss, for Bournemouth, to break the deadlock. Man of the Match was Port Vale's Ryan Smith who caused the opposition problems all afternoon with runs down the wing.

Andy Silk had this to say after the match;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well to be honest i'm thoroughly disappointed with the lads, to concede a late goal like that is major blow and we will have it all to do in the second leg. Saying that, we will have the big advantage of our home fans in the second leg, who have been amazing all season! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Port Vale through to Play-off Final in amazing encounter at Vale Park!!

Port Vale really pulled the perverbial rabitt out of the hat in this thrilling match. After trailing from the first leg 1-0, Vale set out to force the game from the start and raced to an early 3 goal lead with Bournemouth also down to 10 men. It looked to be all over and Vale would just cruise through, but that could not have been more wrong. Bournemouth somehow managed to get the 2 goals they needed to send the tie into extra-time and just as it looked as it was heading that way, Port Vale manager Andy Silk pulled off a masterstroke by sending on Lee Matthews in the place of fans favourite Billy Paynter. The gamble paid off and Matthews got the goal Vale needed to go into the final and manager Silk was enjoying the adulation of the fans.

Port Vale 4-2 Bournemouth

Armstrong, Mahouve and Cummins got the goals that sent Vale into their early 3 goal lead, Coutts and Allen hit baack with goals for Bournemouth before supersub Lee Matthews got the winning goal for Port Vale. The Man of the Match was once again Ryan Smith who set up 2 of the goals.

Andy Silk said this after the match;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well what can you say?! The boys done us proud just then. Just got to look to the final now and hopefully give our fantastic fans one more thing to cheer about this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Port Vale clinch win that sends them into League 1

After the result against Bournemouth morale was sky high in the Port Vale camp, but the task at hand was a difficult one in the form of Bradford City. Fans from both sides packed the Wembley Stadium and the atomosphere was tremendous. The game started with an electric pace and there was an early goal on the 12th minute when Port Vale's Billy Paynter put his side ahead from a breakaway goal. From then onwards it was a story of whether Port Vale could hold out against a more and more attack minded Bradford side, who desprately wanted the equalising goal. And just when it looked like Vale might hold out, City equalised in the 82nd minute and the Port Vale fans must have feared the worst, but the final 8 minutes came to nothing for either sides and to extra-time the game went. The game swung from one end to the other before disaster for Bradford when their veteren defender David Wetherall somehow managed to turn the ball into his own net. From then on it was all out attack from Bradford with Vale countering on every opportunity. Then the final nail in Bradfords coffin was confrimed when Nathan Lowndes scored a great counter attacking goal to confirm the win for Port Vale and to send them back into League 1.

Port Vale 3-1 Bradford

An early Billy Paynter goal against the run of play set Port Vale on their way, but in the 82 minute Tom Penford got the vital equaliser for Bradford. The game went to extra-time where Port Vale proved themselves to be worthy winnners, by first scoring via a David Wetherall own goal before Nathan Lowndes scored the winner.

Andy Silk had this to say about his team at the final whistle;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm over the moon for the lads and for the fans, we have been waiting for the day we got promotion all season and its finally here! I have to pay homage to Bradford, they gave us a good game today, but overall i feel we were the better team and deserved to win. We have just got to look forward to next season and hopefully build on this success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Season report to follow soon,

until next time,

Andy Silk

peachbanner4.jpg

Crystal Palace Pre Season Update 2007/08

Here we are at Selhurst Park to have an in depth look at Crystal Palace and hear their manager’s hopes for the coming season.

Here is his squad for the new season:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| S1 | | Bruno Gonçalves | GK | Poor | - | 79% | - | - | - |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| GK | | Matus Kozacik | GK | Superb | 6-8-6-8-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Lmp | Alan Mills | GK | Okay | - | 80% | - | - | - |

| DC | | Sergey Ignashevich | SW/D C | Okay | 8-7-8-7-6 | 80% | - | - | - |

| DC | | Gonzalo Rodríguez | SW/D C | Superb | - | 93% | - | - | - |

| DR | Lmp | David Gould | D R | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Lmp | Glen Wilson | D R | Superb | 8-7-7-7-5 | 78% | - | - | - |

| S3 | Wnt | Rincón | D RC | Very Good | 7-8-8-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Unh | Chris Barker | D L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 80% | - | - | - |

| DL | Wnt | Djimi Traoré | D LC | Good | 7-8-7-8-7 | 81% | - | - | - |

| - | Unh | Wesley Beckles | D C | Superb | 8-6-7-7-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Wnt | Piqué | D C | Good | 6-7-7-7 | 80% | - | - | - |

| S2 | | Zak Whitbread | D C | Superb | 7-7-8-7-8 | 80% | - | - | - |

| - | Unh | Cedric | D/DM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Inj | Freddy Guarín | DM RC | Superb | - | 32% | - | - | - |

| - | Lmp | Phil Johnson | DM C | Superb | - | 80% | - | - | - |

| - | Lmp | Michael Tonge | M LC | Superb | 6-7-8-7-8 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Bid | Matt Patterson | M C | Superb | - | 78% | - | - | - |

| - | Req | Ben Watson | M C | Okay | 6-8-8-8-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| - | Wnt | Phil Atkinson | AM R | Very Good | - | 78% | - | - | - |

| - | Wnt | Léandre Griffit | AM RLC | Superb | - | 79% | - | - | - |

| MC | | Alin Stoica | AM RLC | Superb | - | 89% | - | - | - |

| S4 | Req | Wayne Routledge | AM RC | Okay | 8-7-8-7-8 | 79% | - | - | - |

| ML | Lmp | Hugo Viana | AM LC | Superb | 10-7-10-8-9 | 80% | - | - | - |

| - | Wnt | Tom Soares | AM C | Superb | - | 80% | - | - | - |

| - | | Milan Ivana | F RC | Superb | - | 79% | - | - | - |

| MC | | Ariel Ortega | F RC | Very Good | - | 84% | - | - | - |

| MR | Inj | Ugur Yildirim | F RC | Very Good | - | 32% | - | - | - |

| - | Unh | Guilherme | F C | Superb | 8-7-7-7 | 79% | - | - | - |

| FC | Lmp | Emanuele Calaiò | S C | Superb | - | 68% | - | - | - |

| S5 | Unh | Sándor Torghelle | S C | Very Good | 7-8-7-7-7 | 78% | - | - | - |

| FC | Lmp | Marcelo Danubio Zalayeta | S C | Superb | 6-6-7-7-8 | 79% | - | - | - |

| | | | | | | | | | |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|</pre>

Here are his transfers in for new season:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Date | Person | From | Fee |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 6.6.2007 | Gonçalves, Bruno | Free Transfer | Free |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 19.6.2007 | Mills, Alan | Mansfield | £120K |

| 1.7.2007 | Rodríguez, Gonzalo | Villarreal | £1M |

| 1.7.2007 | Calaiò, Emanuele | Napoli | £2.6M |

| 1.7.2007 | Ivana, Milan | Stare Mesto | £650K |

| 1.7.2007 | Stoica, Alin | Liège | £100K |

| 1.7.2007 | Guarín, Freddy | Envigado | £650K |

| 1.7.2007 | Ortega, Ariel | Newell's | Free |

| 2.7.2007 | Yildirim, Ugur | Heerenveen | Free |

| | | | |

| | | | |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|</pre>

And out:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Date | Person | To | Fee |

| 5.6.2007 | Warner, Tony | Oldham | £55K |

| 1.7.2007 | Pembridge, Mark | Bournemouth | Free |

| 1.7.2007 | Black, Tommy | Northampton | Free |

| 1.7.2007 | Heinen, Dirk | Oberhausen | Free |

| | | | |

| | | | |

| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|</pre>

Palace manager James Woodward, the man who rejuvenated Palace’s form last season and guided them to safety, has already promised a title challenge to supporters but has yet to give an exclusive interview. But at last we have James Woodward 1-on-1.

Hi James, firstly congratulations on keeping Palace up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“Thanks, I was really pleased with the response that I got from my players and the fans. It made it all worthwhile.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The press are saying that with your new signings you will have a very big chance of troubling the Championship’s top teams

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“Yeah, we had a very strong side last year but there wasn’t enough time to make an impact on the league, but this season with the added strength to our squad we hope to challenge the leagues big guns†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any of your signings that we should watch out for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“All of them, I expect them all to make a big impact. They will all get first team football excluding Alan Mills who is a major talent for the future. I just hope they take the chance when its presented to them.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn’t Ortega past it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Far from, He still has the passion for football and he showed that by coming to Palace, he knows the situation and has shown he has the ambition to make it at Palace no matter his age.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ongoing saga of Routledge and Watson still continues, will they be leaving this season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well right now we are currently going over a contract with Ben (Watson) and are very hopeful that he will show his commitment to Palace by signing a new contract. As for Wayne (Routledge) He is an immense talent and has what it take to make it at international level, we will try everything in our power to keep him but if he decides he wants to move on we will respect his decision and wish him luck.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your time James, finally can we get a prediction from you for the season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“I cannot give you an exact position but I can assure you it will be in the top six.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So there you have it, confident words from Woodward and we wish him all the luck in his title challenge.

dalebanner2.jpg

Barnsley Out To Prove Critics Wrong

Dale Smurthwaite's Barnsley side have started the season with intent and they are determined to prove all their critics wrong this season.

A number of new faces have come to the squad so I'll list them now.

PLAYERS IN

GK - Andrea Guatelli - £6k from POrtsmouth

STR - Neil Mellor - £140k from Ipswich

GK - Mariusz Liberda - Free Transfer from Groclin

FRC - Haruna Babangida - £45k from Metalurg Donetsk

DC - Yohan Congio - £24k from Sete

DRL - £8k from ROuen

DC - Marco Pantanella - Free Transfer

D/MRC - Matt Hockley - £160k from Torquay

PLAYERS OUT

D/MR - Bobby Hassell - £12k to Colchester

FLC - Nathan Jarman - £80k to Gilingham

AM/FLC - Michael Boulding - £14k to Halifax

DC - Gary Cahill - £40 to Notts County

DR - Kevin Daly - £230k to Woodlands

STR - Richard Garcia - £50k to New Zealand Knights

MLC - Stephen McPhail - £500k to Brighton

Smurthwaite is looking to purchase a couple more players to replace the likes of McPhail who wasn't happy at Barnsley and hopefully, then positions will be covered.

After a very successful pre-season, beating both Celtic and Rangers and a win over Club Brugge, there have been 5 league games and the League Cup 1st Round match.

Barnsley 3 V Huddersfield 1

First game of the season and its against another human managed team. Michael Chaill's side were well beaten by a great substitution by Smurthwaite; bringing on Gareth Law for Neil Mellor and the game turned his way.

Star Man - Marco Pantanella (Barnsley)

Doncaster 0 V Barnsley 1

An even game overall, but Barnsleys good defending and a quick counter attack got them the goal they need for all 3 points.

Star Man - Igor Guzelov (Barnsley)

Barnsley 1 V Notts Co 0

Notts County came to Barnsley and the clubs first meeting since Smurthwaite left Notts County for The Tykes. Barnsley showed they were the better team and the 1-0 scoreline didn't reflect the chances on goal.

Star Man - Neil Mellor (Barnsley)

Chesterfield 2 V Barnsley 1

This could have gone the way of Barnsley on paper but an own goal by new keeper Mariusz Liberda made sure Chesterfield claimed all 3 points. Bad luck Liberda.

Star Man - Alex Gildea (Barnsley)

Wycombe 0 V Barnsley 2 - League Cup 1st Round

After Gordon Macari had vacated the Wycombe dressing room for the Crewe job, Wycombe's morale must have been low. Barnsley seal a place in the 2nd Round of the League Cup for the first time under Smurthwaite's leadership, and Smurthwaite's first time in the 2nd Round I believe. Premiership club Manchester City come to the Oakwell Stadium for the 2nd Round game.

Star Man - Giannis Skopelitis (Barnsley)

Barnsley 0 V Scunthorpe 1

The Tykes were posiibly unfortunate here as their squad was somewhat depleted in key areas and so at least 2 players were paying out of position. Not what Smurthwaite wanted so early in the season. Wads Small scored for Scunthorpe.

Star Man - Ben Alnwick (Scunthorpe)

All results so far are now up to date, but lets hope Smurthwaite can start winning again soon and make a real bid for promotion. A good cup run would be nice too, but lets not be greedy.

Until my next report...

DS,

peachbanner4.jpg

Alot of hype surrounded this Palace this season as Woodward previously announced that they would finish within the top six of the Championship. Woodward’s line-up for the opening game of the season which contained six new players had fans excited and managers envious, the amount of money that Simon Jordan has provided to Woodward obviously shows that he gives the Yorkshire man his full backing.

Here we will take a look at Woodward’s fantastic start to the season:

Cardiff 1-1 Crystal Palace

Palace failed to live up to the hype as they failed to break a determined Cardiff defence. Leon McKenzie opened the scoring for Palace and when Palace eventually scored through Torghelle, there wasn’t enough time to finish the job.

Man Of The Match:Paul Parry (Cardiff)

Crystal Palace 1-1 Plymouth

An easy win on paper for Palace but there inconsistency in front of goal showed. Once again the opposition broke the deadlock through Andy Gray and 10 shots later and well into injury time Palace finally hit the target and scored through Romanian international Alin Stoica.

Man Of The Match:Milana Ivana (Crystal Palace)

West Ham 0-3 Crystal Palace

Palace’s first game in of the season to be shown on TV and after this performance surely not the last. Palace struck early through Torghelle, a man who is fighting new signing Emanuele Calaio for a starting place in the team and currently putting a good case for himself forward. A header from man of the match Ivana and a penalty following Darren Blewitt’s sending off was converted by Argentinean legend Ariel Ortega to ensure Woodward got his first win of the season.

Man Of The Match:Milana Ivana (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 4-0 Bolton

A tough game was expected for Palace as recently relegated Bolton came to Selhurst Park as one of the title favourites and must’ve left with their odds slightly worse, as they were ripped apart by a determined Palace side. Uruguayan international Zalayeta finally regained his scoring touch after recovering from injury by putting Palace one up, Stoica sweetly struck free-kick. An own goal from Steve Sidwell added to Bolton’s frustration who continually knocked on the Palace door but were turned away by a in-form Bruno Goncalves. The score line was completed when Ortega hit his second penalty in as many games.

Man Of The Match:Bruno Goncalves (Crystal Palace)

Hartlepool 0-2 Crystal Palace

Palace travelled to bottom of the league Hartlepool with high spirits after there fantastic performances against West Ham and Bolton and were in no mood to let their form drop. Alin Stoica scored the Palace’s first beating Kasper Schmeichel at his near post and Zalayeta added to his goal tally with a perfectly weighted lob.

Man Of The Match:Milan Ivana (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 1-1 Leeds

Another good performance from an in-form Palace team, they opened the scoring through Torghelle but were pegged back almost immediately by Leeds striker David Healy. Despite dominating the game from this point onwards Palace struggled to break through the Leeds defence which was led by former England Under 21 international Matthew Kilgallon. Other action in the game included Palace losing fan favourite Sergey Ignashevich through injury.

Man Of The Match:Matthew Kilgallon (Leeds)

Crystal Palace 2-0 Hull

Palace got back to winning ways when Hull travelled to Selhurst Park. Palace showed their new found confidence in front of goal by hitting the target 11 times out of 12. A double strike from Zalayeta won the 3 points for Palace.

Man Of The Match:Ariel Ortega (Crystal Palace)

Preston 1-2 Crystal Palace

A Palace side that is impressing everybody travelled to Deepdale hoping to give Preston more relegation worries. In a game that Palace dominated throughout Woodward most expensive signing Calaio hit the net first with a superbly placed header, Palace doubled there tally when Zalayeta finished his run from the half way line by lobbing Preston keeper David Preece. But the action wasn’t over as Preston scored in the 90th minute, Paul McKenna being the marksman.

Man Of The Match:Hugo Viana (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 2-0 QPR

QPR were the next team to try and beat Palace and once again the challenger failed. The scorers from the previous match, Zalayeta and Calaio were once again on target. Palace’s form as of late has fans drooling at the prospect of a return to the Premiership and possible Championship title.

Man Of The Match:Alin Stoica (Crystal Palace)

Reading 0-1 Crystal Palace

Palace headed down to mid-table Reading wanting 3 points and looked like leaving with 1 until the 87th minute when Argentinean international Gonzalo Rodriguez popped up in the box with the crucial header. Today saw a different style of football from Palace they still attacked but seemed to sit back and give Reading a lot of the ball but a superb defensive performance ensured nothing came of it.

Crystal Palace 1-0 Sheff Wed

Another workman like performance where Palace allowed Sheff Wed to play but capitalised when Hugo Viana took advantage of a free-kick conceded in dangerous territory by coolly curling it into Nicky Weaver’s top corner. Palace’s defence was a weakness last season but Woodward a former defender himself has sorted their usually weak defence out to give them the best goals against record in the Championship.

Stoke 0-1 Crystal Palace

Palace’s 3rd 1-0 win on the trot but it nearly wasn’t, as it took a last minute header from Calaio to separate the teams. Unlike the previous two game where Palace were very defensive this game was very different and Palace had 19 shots, Stoke just never had anything to trouble the strong Palace defence with.

Man Of The Match:Ariel Ortega (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 1-1 Sunderland

Sunderland ended Palace’s 6 game winning streak when they struck just after half-time through a 25 yard strike from captain Mikael Nilsson, but Palace weren’t to be denied a point when the ball fell to Ortega on the edge of the box, he made the most of it and volleyed past Allan McGregor for a share of the points.

Man Of The Match:Alin Stoica (Crystal Palace)[/i]

Here is the Championship Table:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Crystal Palace | | 13 | 9 | 4 | 0 | 22 | 5 | +17 | 31 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Leeds | | 13 | 7 | 5 | 1 | 26 | 11 | +15 | 26 |

| 3rd | | Wigan | | 13 | 8 | 2 | 3 | 20 | 8 | +12 | 26 |

| 4th | | Oxford | | 13 | 7 | 2 | 4 | 21 | 13 | +8 | 23 |

| 5th | | Plymouth | | 13 | 6 | 5 | 2 | 20 | 13 | +7 | 23 |

| 6th | | Bolton | | 13 | 6 | 5 | 2 | 21 | 15 | +6 | 23 |

| 7th | | Derby | | 13 | 6 | 5 | 2 | 17 | 11 | +6 | 23 |

| 8th | | Sheff Wed | | 13 | 6 | 3 | 4 | 19 | 18 | +1 | 21 |

| 9th | | Sunderland | | 13 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 19 | 17 | +2 | 20 |

| 10th | | Q.P.R. | | 13 | 6 | 2 | 5 | 15 | 17 | -2 | 20 |

| 11th | | Coventry | | 13 | 5 | 3 | 5 | 13 | 15 | -2 | 18 |

| 12th | | Hartlepool | | 13 | 5 | 3 | 5 | 14 | 21 | -7 | 18 |

| 13th | | Burnley | | 12 | 5 | 2 | 5 | 13 | 12 | +1 | 17 |

| 14th | | Cardiff | | 12 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 21 | 17 | +4 | 16 |

| 15th | | Nottm Forest | | 13 | 4 | 2 | 7 | 19 | 18 | +1 | 14 |

| 16th | | Ipswich | | 13 | 4 | 2 | 7 | 15 | 14 | +1 | 14 |

| 17th | | Reading | | 12 | 3 | 5 | 4 | 12 | 13 | -1 | 14 |

| 18th | | Hull | | 12 | 4 | 2 | 6 | 14 | 18 | -4 | 14 |

| 19th | | Luton | | 13 | 4 | 2 | 7 | 10 | 18 | -8 | 14 |

| 20th | | Bristol C | | 13 | 2 | 6 | 5 | 10 | 18 | -8 | 12 |

| 21st | | Gillingham | | 13 | 3 | 2 | 8 | 16 | 20 | -4 | 11 |

| 22nd | | West Ham | | 13 | 2 | 5 | 6 | 14 | 23 | -9 | 11 |

| 23rd | | Stoke | | 13 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 10 | 27 | -17 | 8 |

| 24th | | Preston | | 13 | 1 | 2 | 10 | 9 | 28 | -19 | 5 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Manager’s Note:

Its been great start to the season, we're sitting at the top of the league and are on course to achieve the targets that we have set, we had a very strong team in the beginning but we were missing that final touch. I believe that I have brought in the best players for the job and turned us from relegation battlers into title challengers and the strength in depth that we have here at Palace I have no doubt that we will be able to maintain our challenge.

Until Next Time

James Woodward

raybanner3.jpg

Good start for Brighton

We brought in some quality signings over the summer months and those players were:

In

Lee Grant Free transfare

Sean Doherty Free transfare

Jonathan Evans From Man Utd for 85k

Jari Litmanen Free transfare

Andrew Griffin Free transfare

Heidar Helguson From Watford for 130k

Sven Di Domenico From Swift Hesperange for 80k

Alan Shearer from Newcastle free transfare

Craig Westcarr From Notts Forrest for 22k

Peter Harrison Free transfare

Stephen McPhail From Bansley for 500k

Michael Poke From Southampton for 130k

Phil Cave From Newcastle for 170k

The Following players made there way out of the club to balance the books:

Out:

Brad Jones To Millwall for 1 million

Andrew Clayton to Dulwich Hamlet for 1k

Now its time to play some football and Brighton did just that as they sit top of the league after 13 games.

The opening 13 games went something like this....

Results

Brighton 5 vs 3 Chesterfield

Good game at the front of the park but let in to many at the back my goals came from Trundle, Moore (2) and Delgado (2).

Man of the match:Debut man Stefan Moore

Scunthorpe 1 vs 1 Brighton

2 points lost at the end of the day we should of won our goal came from Delgado.

Man of the match: Richie Humphreys (Brighton)

Brighton 2 vs 0 Sheff Utd

Another 3 points in the bag goals came from an Shearer pen and Delgado.

Man of the Match:Brad Jones (Brighton)

Swindon 0 vs 1 Brighton

We win again the only goal of the game came from Wolleaston.

Man of the match:David Fox (Brighton)

Brighton 2 vs 0 Stockport

This team is really coming together now as we push for the Championship goals came from Humphreys and Trundle.

Man of the match:Gary Hart (Brighton)

Brighton 4 vs 1 Torquay

Best display of the season as we took apart the Torquay side our goals came from Delgado, Hart, Moore and Garcia.

[Man of the match:[/b]Stephen McPhail (Brighton)

Tranmere 1 vs 1 Brighton

This game started a run which would see Brighton not win in 4 games our goal came from Trundle.

[Man of the match:/B]Stephen McPhail (Brighton)

Brighton 1 vs 1 Walsall

Another draw we just cant finish teams off now our goal came from Hart.

Man of the match:Gary Hart (Brighton)

West Brom 1 vs 0 Brighton League cup 2nd round

Well we played better than them but just couldn't get the crucial goal we needed.

[Man of the match:[/b]Fredrik Winsnes (West Brom)

Blackpool 1 vs 0 Brighton

A game we really should of won but yet again our forwards let the club down.

Man of the match:Michael Oakes (Blackpool)

Stevenage 0 vs 1 Brighton LDV south 2nd round

Well we got the win we should of got in the games played before this our goal came from Moore.

Man of the match:Lee Trundle (Brighton)

Brighton 1 vs 1 Rushden

We just cant win in the league our goal came from Delgado.

Man of the match:Lasse Staw (Brighton)

Colchester 0 vs 1 Brighton

Finally we get the win our hard work has warranted the only goal of the game came from Moore.

Man of the match:Robert Wolleaston (Brighton)

Brighton 1 vs 1 Brentford

We are not getting the luck of the green lately it will change we hope our goal came from Delgado.

Man of the match:David Curtis (Brentford)

Cambridge 0 vs 3 Brighton

Goals have been hard to come by lately but in this match we got 3 could have been more but i am not greedy the scorers were Delgado, Moore and Green.

Man of the match:Neil Danns (Brighton)

Brighton 3 vs 1 Port Vale

3-0 up inside 14 minutes says a lot about my team we stepped off the peddle after that we could have had 9 or 10 if they tried harder but another 3pts in the bag so i am happy our goals came from Humphreys, Trundle and Danns.

Man of the Match:David Fox (Brighton)

Well there you have it top after 13 games and we intend on staying there, We will not fail in our bid to be the best in league 1 because we are the best. So the rest of the league best sit up and take notice icon_wink.gif

We are going up....

Well thats about it from me so see you soon.

icon_smile.gif

clanbanner.jpg

Just an update for our members and anyone else who is interested in our clan's progress, our new website is up and running and I hope you all enjoy it. Hopefully it will be one more step closer to established clan status for us.

http://www.fachallenge.co.uk

Feel free to join our forums and read ur news updates.

SDK(Clan Host & Webmaster-The FA Challenge Clan)

dalebanner2.jpg

Tykes Go On Rampage

Dale Smurthwaite's Barnsley team have started to hit form and have been scoring goals form all areas of the pitch.

A lot of games have been played, so I'll just list the results for you :

Sheff Utd 4 V Barnsley 0

Barnsley 2 V Swindon 2

Barnsley 0 V Manchester City 4 League Cup 2nd Round

Torquay 0 V Barsnley 0

Halifax 2 V Barnsley 5 LDV Vans Trophy North 1st Round

Barnsley 2 V Tranmere 2

Walsall 1 V Barnsley 3

Barnsley 0 V Blackpool 0

Rushden 2 V Barnsley 1

Barnsley 1 V Colchester 0

Barnsley 2 V Stockport 0 LDV Vans Trophy North 2nd Round

Barnsley 3 V Cambridge 0

Brentford 1 V Barnsley 1

Sutton Utd 0 V Barnsley 3 FA Cup 1st Round

Port Vale 2 V Barnsley 1

Oldham 0 V Barnsley 3

Chester 0 V Barnsley 4 LDV Vans Trophy North Qtr Final

Barnsley 3 V Tamworth 1 FA Cup 2nd Round

Little did the Barnsley fans know that this was going to be Dale Smurthwaite's last game in charge of The Tykes, and if I'm honest I dont think Mr Smurthwaite knew it either. No sooner had Barnsley qualified for the 3rd Round of the FA Cup and were also through to the Semi Final of the LDV Vans Trophy, did Reading chairman John Madejski come aong and offer Smurthwaite the vacant post at the Madejski Stadium.

A decision had to made and the opportunity of managing in a higher division swayed Smurthwaite into accepting the offer and we were on our way to Reading and Championship football. In a parting statement, Smurthwaite said :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Thanks to the Tykes fans who have been very supportive of my time here and I wish them the very best for the future for Barnsley FC." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dalebanner3.jpg

Smurthwaite Rises To The Challenge Of The Championship

Well here we are in Reading and Dale Smurthwaite has already started bringing in some quality players to add to some of the very good ones he already has at Reading FC.

PLAYERS IN

D/DML - Chris Armstrong - £80k from Sheffield Utd

FLC - Sylvan Ebanks-Blake - ££1.1M from Barnsley

DC - Simon Mensing - £250k from Doncaster

FRC - Haruna Babangida - £500k from Barnsley

PLAYERS OUT

GK - Magnus Hedman - £3k to Hartlepool

AMC - James Harper - £12k to Oldham

D/DML - Nicky Shorey - £150k to Nottm Forest

DRC - Johnny Mulins - £1k to Halesowen

Smurthwaite has made a bright start to his management career at Reading and hopes to be going for a playoff place. This is a very realistic target and results have reflected his immediate impact on the team.

Burnley 2 V Reading

This was an even game, but Burnley got the upper hand in the end. A little more of the play and Reading could've got the draw or maybe even the win.

Star Man - Bobby Convey (Reading)

Reading 4 V Coventry 1

Smurthwaite first win with the club and he was extremely pleased about it too. A brace each from Marco Streller and Bobby Convey took the easy 3 points home for Reading.

Star Man - Glen Little (Reading)

Oxford 2 V Reading 3

A superb example of why you should never give up during a football match. After going 2-0 down,Smurthwaite's team looked to be well beaten, but great fighting spirit and goals from Streller and Convey within two minutes of each other got Reading right back in the game, and looked the stronger team to claim the win - Lloyd Owusu popping up in injury time to score the winner for Reading.

Reading 0 V Ipswich 0

In contrast to the last game, this was a very quiet affair, with neither team breaking the other down. Plenty shots on goal though, just none in the back the net.

Star Man - Kelvin Davis (Ipswich)

Reading 0 V Luton 1

Possibly an unfair result for Reading considering they had more of the play and deserved at least the draw. Watch out next time Luton...

Star Man - Mark Lynch (Luton)

Gillingham 1 V Reading 3

The Gills were outclassed here by Smurthwaite's lads and deserved to go home with nothing. Reading scorers today were Streller, Lagerblom and Convey.

Star Man - Michael Svensson (Reading)

Reading 2 V Nottm Forest 2

Reading were very unlucky not to take all three points here as they got off to a flyer with a Carlton Cole goal in the first minute. Streller added to that in the 28th minute, but Forest clawed their way back into the game and scored a late equaliser in the 85th minute. Smurthwaite was :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"A bit miffed" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Star Man - Haruna Babangida (Reading)

That brings me to the end of all results from Smurthwaites teams. We can now just concentrate on Reading FC and their next match is against QPR in the FA Cup 3rd Round. Lets hope Smurthwaite can do it. QPR sit in 15th in The Championship and their last meeting was a 0-0 draw.

Until my next report...

DS.

peachbanner4.jpg

Palace Still Top Of The Championship

Palace’s great form continues as Palace stay top and are looking like an extremely good bet for promotion as they find themselves 7 points clear of Wigan and 14 clear of the rest.

Here are a look at their recent results:

Bristol City 1-1 Crystal Palace

After drawing against Sunderland, Palace hoped to get back to winning ways against a lowly Bristol City team, Hugo Viana opened the scoring just after half time and it looked as though it would end like that until Paul Tait popped up with a cracking site that left Bruno Goncalves standing.

Man Of The Match: Alin Stoica (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 0-1 Wigan

Palace were next visited by fellow title challengers Wigan, Palace knew a win here would put them into a very promising position but Jason Roberts early goal shocked Palace and for the next 80 minutes they fought in vain as Wigan’s stubborn defence wouldn’t budge. Their frustration was summed up when Ortega was sent off late on.

Man Of The Match: David Wright (Wigan)

Crystal Palace 2-0 Burnley

Another week another promotion challenging team making their way to Selhurst Park, but this time it was a different story as Crystal Palace stepped up a gear and comfortably disposed of Burnley. Italian striker Emanuele Calaio scored first with Zalayeta adding the second.

Man Of The Match: Emanuele Calaio (Crystal Palace)[/]

Derby 1-4 Crystal Palace

For the third week running Palace faced yet another side gunning for promotion, and as in their last game against Burnley Palace showed the form which has made them one of the most feared attacking teams in the league. 2 goals in the opening 10 minutes from the in-form Calaio were followed by strikes from Ortega and Zalayeta. Derby’s consolation goal was scored by Nathan Doyle.

Man Of The Match: Emanuele Calaio (Crystal Palace)

Coventry 2-0 Crystal Palace

The promotion chasers just keep coming for Palace and a great performance from Coventry keeper Scott Shearer and the deadliness of their strikers ensured Palace came undone, in a match that was to become a brawl towards the end. Mali international Freddie Kanoute opened the scoring for The Sky Blues, the second was added in the 59th minute by Michael Doyle. By this point Palace who hadn’t conceded two goals in a game all season became frustrated and the first player to be overcome by the clouding red mist was former Coventry player Thomas Vermaelen who left Coventry on bad terms, he was soon followed down the tunnel by Alin Stoica. Palace ended the game with 8 yellow and 2 reds.

Man Of The Match: Scott Shearer (Coventry)

Crystal Palace 3-0 Oxford

After last weeks performance Woodward demanded better from his men and he got it. The team who faced Palaces backlash was none other than Woodward’s former team Oxford. Things started badly as Portuguese u21 keeper Goncalves was stretchered off after 5 minutes picking up an injury that will rule him out for 4 weeks. After an average first half Palace came out after the break a new team, Milan Ivana opened the deadlock, 20 minutes later centre back Ignashevich hit a superb goal from outside the area. The score was rounded up from the penalty spot, Columbian Freddy Guarin stepped up to hit his first goal for the club.

Man Of The Match: Milan Ivana (Crystal Palace)

Ipswich 1-1 Crystal Palace[/]

Palace visited Ipswich next and had to produce one of their best defensive performances of the season to keep out the continuous onslaught from Ipswich. It took Ipswich only 5 minutes to break the Palace defence through highly rated striker and future Palace man Darren Bent. This shocked a reaction from Palace as they equalised through Zalayeta. The rest of the game was made up by swarms of Ipswich attacks but Slovakian keeper Kozacik proved more than upto the challenge and did well to keep the scores even.

Man Of The Match: Matus Kozacik (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 3-1 Luton

Palace walked away from this game easily taking 3 points with them, despite an early scare from Luton. Palace were rushed into the game by a goal from Steve Elliott and thankfully hit straight back through Zalayeta, a goal just before half time from Alin Stoica put Palace up at the break. It was to stay like that until the 81st minute when Zalayeta doubled his tally.

Man Of The Match: Marcelo Danubio Zalayeta (Crystal Palace)

Gillingham 2-3 Crystal Palace

Before the match Gillingham boss Stan Ternant said that Palace would have to beat them if they wanted to continue their promotion push. Woodward’s reacted to this by confidently stating that they’d definitely gain promotion. Going into this game the Palace players were fired up but were made to wait to gain some revenge on Gillingham as they had the first laugh going one up through Nathan Jarman. Woodward once again unleashed his fury on his team at half time and once again Palace responded Hugo Viana scoring straight after the restart. Goals followed through Calaio and Zalayeta, and a tense finish was set-up when Julio Cesar hit back in the last minute.

Man Of The Match: Nathan Jarman (Gillingham)

Crystal Palace 3-1 Nottm Forest

After Palace’s recent indifferent performances they will be pleased with the way this one went. They found there selves two up at half time, a double strike from Italian Emanuele Calaio. Half time came and went and Forest hit back just after through Alan Lee, but the result was sealed when Milan Ivana hit the net on 65 minutes.

Man Of The Match: Hugo Viana (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 4-1 Cardiff

The Palace team that we have grown used to watching this season returned and showed they are still the team to beat in the Championship. A hat trick from an in-form Emanuele Calaio who is finally beginning to prove his worth to Palace fans and a goal from Ortega completed the Palace rout in confident style. A clean sheet was denied in the last minute by Andrew Campbell.

Man Of The Match: Emanuele Calaio (Crystal Palace)

Plymouth 1-6 Crystal Palace

After a brief chat with Reading manager Dale Smurthwaite before this game Woodward promised to beat Reading’s rivals, and they lived upto their promise in style. Despite being away from home Palace still managed to hit six goals to destroy Reading and their goal difference. Two goals from Calaio opened the scoring followed by a double from Zalayeta, a free-kick from Guarin made it five. Plymouth pulled on back through Nick Chadwick but Palace weren’t finished yet as Zalayeta added another to claim his hat-trick.

Man Of The Match: Marcelo Danubio Zalayeta (Crystal Palace)

Crystal Palace 2-0 West Ham

Palace’s first game after the transfer deadline and they were welcomed onto the pitch with four new faces, but it was the half time substitution that brought new signing Daniel Braaten onto the pitch that sparked life into this otherwise dull game. His liveliness brought goals from Alijn Stoica and Emanuela Calaio to give Palace all 3 points.

Man Of The Match: Ariel Ortega (Crystal Palace)

And current league table:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Crystal Palace | | 26 | 18 | 6 | 2 | 54 | 17 | +37 | 60 |

| 2nd | | Wigan | | 26 | 15 | 8 | 3 | 33 | 12 | +21 | 53 |

| 3rd | | Bolton | | 26 | 13 | 7 | 6 | 39 | 28 | +11 | 46 |

| 4th | | Burnley | | 26 | 14 | 4 | 8 | 34 | 26 | +8 | 46 |

| 5th | | Coventry | | 26 | 12 | 7 | 7 | 35 | 28 | +7 | 43 |

| 6th | | Derby | | 26 | 12 | 6 | 8 | 38 | 33 | +5 | 42 |

| 7th | | Nottm Forest | | 26 | 11 | 7 | 8 | 41 | 33 | +8 | 40 |

| 8th | | Hull | | 26 | 11 | 7 | 8 | 33 | 27 | +6 | 40 |

| 9th | | Sunderland | | 26 | 10 | 9 | 7 | 33 | 31 | +2 | 39 |

| 10th | | Ipswich | | 26 | 11 | 5 | 10 | 34 | 24 | +10 | 38 |

| 11th | | Reading | | 26 | 9 | 11 | 6 | 34 | 24 | +10 | 38 |

| 12th | | Sheff Wed | | 26 | 10 | 8 | 8 | 35 | 32 | +3 | 38 |

| 13th | | Plymouth | | 26 | 10 | 8 | 8 | 34 | 36 | -2 | 38 |

| 14th | | Leeds | | 26 | 10 | 7 | 9 | 37 | 32 | +5 | 37 |

| 15th | | Q.P.R. | | 26 | 10 | 7 | 9 | 31 | 31 | 0 | 37 |

| 16th | | Oxford | | 26 | 9 | 4 | 13 | 32 | 35 | -3 | 31 |

| 17th | | West Ham | | 26 | 7 | 10 | 9 | 28 | 35 | -7 | 31 |

| 18th | | Luton | | 26 | 9 | 4 | 13 | 25 | 37 | -12 | 31 |

| 19th | | Cardiff | | 26 | 7 | 8 | 11 | 36 | 39 | -3 | 29 |

| 20th | | Gillingham | | 26 | 6 | 3 | 17 | 34 | 42 | -8 | 21 |

| 21st | | Bristol C | | 26 | 3 | 12 | 11 | 22 | 40 | -18 | 21 |

| 22nd | | Stoke | | 26 | 5 | 5 | 16 | 18 | 40 | -22 | 20 |

| 23rd | | Preston | | 26 | 6 | 2 | 18 | 24 | 47 | -23 | 20 |

| 24th | | Hartlepool | | 26 | 5 | 3 | 18 | 17 | 52 | -35 | 18 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|</pre>

Manager’s Note

Right now I am the happiest man on the planet, we are very confident going into the final stretch that we can keep our current form up and win the Championship. Our new signings can only improve our strength and only improve our chances even more. The critics doubted us at the start of the season but I believed that we could easily gain promotion all season and still believe that is the case. I just hope they rate us higher when we are in the Premiership next season.

Until Next Time

James Woodward

gordonbanner.jpg

As the new season approached,Wycombe manager Gordon Macari had strengthend his squad in preperation for his first full season in charge.

A lot of young players in joined the wanderes as Macari looks to nuild a solid crop of youngsters

Manager Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "Well,i feel that laying the foundations for this club will help them progress for many years to come in stead of just bringing in a bunch of lads for the moment!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After only three games of the season shock waves are sent round Wycome................

As Of this morning...........Scottish manager Gordon Macari has sensationaly stepped down from his post!!!

When leaving the Wanderes ground to a chorus of boo's from Wycombe fans Macari had this to say on the situation....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I dont want to say to much untill i now whats happening" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

** Sky Sports News Lunch-Time Report**

Reporter: The big news today the resignation of Wycombe manager Gordon Macari....The ex-wycombe boos steps down after only a few months in charge,there has been no word from either Mr Macari or the club itself.

Reporter: Macari had been in charge of the Wanderers for only 6 months,after re-shaping the squad all summ.......

Reporter 2: Sorry to interupt but we are going live to a press confrenece at Crewe Alexandra......

**We Cut to the Alexandra Stadium**

*The Crewe chairman John Bowler is sitting infront of the papperazzi*

John Bowler: Thank you all for coming......as Crewe chairman it is my duty to ensure that Crewe reach there potential and to do that they need a man with vision in charge!

John Bowler: As you all know ive been looking a new manager and im proud to announce that ive found that man......

John Bowler: Ladies.Gentlemen & British Press.....id like to introduce to you crewe alexandra's new manager.....GORDON MACARI!!!

maccabanner2.jpg

Macari : Im not gonna answer any quetions today,ive got a pre-prepared statemen id like to read......

**Macari's statement**

*First of all id like to thank the Wycombe players,board and most importantly the fans for giving me there support in my short time there.

Although a lot of people will question why i choose to leave,i hope they respect my decision.

This move was purely my choice,if a club the size of Crewe express an interest in you,there is no way you can ignore it. Ive came to this club with a plan,myself and the chairman will sit down over the next month and discuss how we are gonna take Crewe onwards from here!

Finally,League 1.........prepare yourself's!(*Winks at the camera and smiles*)

More Next time as Macca's first season with Crewe unfolds!!

andybanner2.jpg

Season Report

After a long hard season Port Vale finally gained promotion to League 1 through the play-offs. Below are the stats from the season just gone by;

Highest Attendance:- 15985 (vs Bournemouth in Play-off Semi Final)

Average Attendance:- 6396

Biggest Win:- 4-0 (vs Chester)

Biggest Defeat:- 3-1 (vs Bristol Rovers)

Most Games Won in Row:- 3

Most Games Lost in a Row:- 4

Most Games Without Losing:- 12

Most Games Without Winning:- 6

Top Goalscorer:- Nathan Lowndes (19)

Top League Goalscorer:- Nathan Lowndes (16)

Most Goals in a Match:- Billy Paynter (3 against Swansea)

Most Assists:- Ian Armstrong (11)

Highest Average Rating:- Ian Armstrong (7.61 in 32 apps)

Most MoM's:- Ryan Smith (7)

Worst Discipline:- Clarke Carlisle (9 Yellow & 1 Red)

Youngest Player:- Mark Hall (18)

Oldest Player:- Vitaljis Astafjevs (35)

Fans Player of the Year:- Billy Paynter

After great season where Port Vale went straight back up after a relegation the hard work will be to stop relegation happening again.

Manager Andy Silk said this about his teams chances;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well i would say that its going to be difficult, there are a lot of good teams in League 1, but with a few new faces im sure we can do it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

End of Season Report Over,

Until next time,

Andy Silk

andybanner2.jpg

Port Vale gear up for new season with 13 new faces

Despite manager Andy Silk stating that only a few new faces were needed at Port Vale he has decided to sign a total of 13 players either on loan or on a free. Luke Guttridge was the only signing involving any money, he came from Long Island for 20k.

The players that came in are;

Matt Lockwood (free)

Peter Holmes (free)

Shaun Maher (free)

Aiden Shannen (free)

Luke Guttridge (20k)

Simon Cox (free)

Kyle Lafferty (free)

Mark Wright (free)

David Modino (free)

Juan Garrido (free)

Gabriele Gerbasi (free)

Ryan Smith (loan)

Guiseppe Rossi (loan)

Andy Silk, you have signed a lot of new players there, any we should look out for?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well, they are all good players in their own right, but i would say that David Modino a yound Spaniard captured from Barcelona is the most exciting new acquisition. Also Mark Wright, Luke Guttridge, Ryan Smith and Guiseppe Rossi are all some of the best players ive worked with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The results up until 5th of January 2008 were as follows;

Port Vale 2-1 Tranmere

Walsall 2-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-0 Blackpool

Rushden 1-0 Port Vale

Scunthorpe 2-1 Port Vale (League Cup 1st Round)

Port Vale 3-0 Colchester

Brentford 0-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-0 Cambridge

Huddersfield 2-1 Port Vale

Scunthorpe 2-0 Port Vale (LDV Vans 1st Round)

Millwall 3-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-2 Oldham

Crewe 0-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-0 Peterborough

Brighton 3-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-3 Rotherham

Watford 3-0 Port Vale

Port Vale 3-2 Northwich (FA Cup 1st Round)

Port Vale 2-1 Barnsley

Doncaster 1-3 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-1 Notts County

Scunthorpe 3-1 Port Vale

Chesterfield 0-3 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-0 Scunthorpe

Sheff Utd 0-5 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-0 Swindon

Tranmere 2-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 3-3 Walsall

Torquay 1-1 Port Vale

Port Vale take League 1 by suprise!

Andy Silk's Port Vale team are the suprise package in League 1 with the team tipped for relegation by most pundits early on, they have shocked everyone by racing to 5th position by January. This form surely cannot continue, after a shakey start to life in League 1 Port Vale have settled in nicely having some great results, including a 6 game winning streak in December. Despite setting the league alight Port Vale have not been the same in the Cups, being dumped out of all 3 trophys by a relegation threatened Scunthorpe side.

Andy Silk had this to say;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The whole team has been superb this season and i am happy for the fans, they deserve a successful team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The following players were signed during the season by Port Vale;

Christian Negouai (50k)

Hannu Patronen (8k)

Radoslow Janukiewicz (45k)

And the following players have left Vale Park;

Rhys Day (100k)

Chris Birchall (16k)

Dani Rodrigues (20k)

Until Next Time,

Andy Silk

dalebanner3.jpg

The Royals Move Into The Playoffs

Dale Smurthwaite's Reading side have risen into the playoffs in The Championship and have done so with no great difficulty. After playing well and taking quite a number of points, the dark horses of the league have sneaked up on the likes of Nottm Forest and Coventry and now sit in 5th place, a mere 11 points off automatic promotion to the Premiership with still 17 games to play this season.

Any new faces? Well actually yes there is :

PLAYERS IN

D/DMC - Frode Kippe - £120k from Lillestrom

PLAYERS OUT

DC - Peter Castle - £16k to Cheltenham

STR - Pierre Joseph-Dubois - £24k to Hereford

AMR - Darren Campbell - £12k to Raith Rovers

GK - Ben Hamer - £1k to Basingstoke

D/DML - Paul Tierney - £90k to Southampton

D/DMRC - Curtis Osano - £1k to Farnborough

These transfers out have cut the wage bill even more and Smurthwaite is managing the club's finances well.

Onto the latest results :

Reading 3 V QPR 1 - FA Cup 3rd Round

A very good result to set up a 4th Round game with Premiership Manchester City. Bobby Convey stole the show again with a nice brace.

Cardiff 3 V Reading 4

A nail biting finish to this game as Reading held on to their lead in injury time. The goals are coming thick and fast now.

Star Man - Richard Langley (Cardiff)

Reading 2 V Manchester City 3 - FA Cup 4th Round

The Royals were unlucky to be beaten here after they took a 2 goal lead within 24 minutes. Manchester City stuck at it though and finally overcame a tired Reading side that just couldn't hold on long enough to force the replay. An almost capacity crowd however.

Star Man - Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City)

Reading 1 V Plymouth 0

A rather dull game here with Carlton Cole's goal on the stroke of half-time seperating the two sides, but giving Reading the 3 points to Smurthwaite's satisfaction.

Star Man - Jonathan Hayes (Reading)

West Ham 0 V Reading 3

If the Hammers thought they had the potential to be in the Premiership again, they had another thing coming. Smurthwaite's Royals destroyed West Ham and deserved the 3 points and the 5th position in the league. Reading's finishing proving to be the vital factor.

Star Man - Simon Mensing (Reading)

So whats next for Reading? Well with 17 games still to play, Smurthwaite will be aiming to claw back as many points as he can and make a push for the 2nd automatic promotion spot. He looks unlikely to catch James Woodward's Crystal Palace side though but wouldn't say no to giving them a beating in a few games time.

Word on the grapevine is that Smurthwaite is still looking for a couple of quality players to bolster his squad should they gain promotion and only time will tell if he succeeds in that area.

Until my next report...

DS.

andybanner2.jpg

Port Vale still in with promotion shout!

Port Vale have managed to defy the critics further, by maintaining their great current form throughout the last 5 games. With 4 wins and 1 loss in the last 5 games they are currently in 5th position but are only 2 points off the top spot. And with League 1 as open as it is, any team could clinch promotion this season.

Andy Silk had this to say about his teams promotion hopes;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We've had one hell of a season so far that i dont think any one would have predicted. We were tipped for relegation by nearly everyone but I always knew that with a squad this strong we could challenge the best in the division. Hopefully we can continue this form and carry on proving everyone wrong! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The latest Port Vale results are as follows;

Blackpool 1-4 Port Vale

Two goals each for Billy Paynter and Guiseppe Rossi set Port Vale on thier way to an easy win, with Peter Clarke pulling one back for Blackpool. Man of the Match was Clarke Carlisle with a solid performance in the centre defence for Port Vale.

Port Vale 3-0 Rushden

Goals from Paynter, Modino and Lockwood gave Port Vale a great win over a battling Rushden side. Man of the Match was Janukiewicz in goal for Vale, who pulled of a string of magnifcent saves to keep Port Vale in the match early on.

Colchester 1-2 Port Vale

Luke Guttridge and Rossi gave Port Vale an early 2 goal lead before Karl Duguid got one back for Colchester. Christian Negouai then got sent off and set up a grandstand finish, but Port Vale managed to hold on, with Janukiewicz again Man of the Match.

Port Vale 2-1 Brentford

Another 2-1 win from Port Vale with their goals coming from Paynter and an own goal from Micheal Lea, before Mark Arber pulled one back on 89 minutes from the penalty spot. Man of the Match was Eddie Hutchinson for Brentford.

Cambridge 3-2 Port Vale

Vale raced to an early 2 goal lead through Paynter and Rossi before a Modino red card left them with 30 mins to hang on for. It wasnt to be and Port Vale collapsed in spectacular fashion losing the game with goals from Latte-Yedo, McCammon and Duncan. Man of the Match was Igor Latte-Yedo for Cambridge who put in a tremendous defensive performance.

The table currently looks like this with 16 games left;

POS TEAM PLD POINTS

1st Brighton 30 55

2nd Sheff Utd 29 55

3rd Barnsley 29 54

4th Watford 29 53

5th Port Vale 30 53

6th Brentford 30 51

Until Next Time,

Andy Silk

dalebanner3.jpg

END OF SEASON REPORT

Brave Reading Miss Out On Premiership

Dale Smurthwaite's Reading team put on a great finish to their season, but other results went against them to deny them a playoff place to the Premiership next season. Burnley ended up taking the last playoff place and look good for a place in the playoff final.

A lot of results to catch up on here so I'll list them now.

Reading 1 V Bolton 1

Hartlepool v Reading 1

Reading 2 V Leeds 0

QPR 0 V Reading 0

Crystal Palace 3 V Reading 1

Reading 3 V Preston 0

Hull 1 V Reading 0

Reading 1 V Sheff Weds 2

Stoke 0 V Reading 1

Reading 2 V Sunderland 1

Bristol C 1 V Reading 2

Reading 0 V Wigan 2

Derby 1 V Reading 1

Reading 2 V Burnley 1

Coventry 6 V Reading 0

Reading 3 V Oxford 0

Ipswich 2 V Reading 4

The 6-0 loss against Coventry was an abysmal result and Smurthwaite was absolutely fuming with his team after the match. I believe a few shot glasses were thrown about the changing rooms. However The Royals bounced back against Oxford and won their last game to give them a glimmer of hope to snatch the last playoff place. Burnley had to lose however to enable that and they won so Burnley kept the last playoff place. Reading were unlucky not to be in the playoffs but their board's goal was safe mid-table obscurity so Smurthwaite had done a fantastic job getting them that far up the league table.

There will be some coming and goings of players over the summer and they will be listed after the start of the new season. For now though, I'll leave you with some interesting stats of the season past and will see you again next year.

PLAYER STATS

Top Goalscorer : Marco Streller with 22

Most Assists : Bobby Convey with 22

Highest Average Rating : Bobby Convey with 7.71 (42 Appearances)

Most MoM Awards : Bobby Convey with 6

Worst Discipline : Tomas Repka with 7 Yellow Cards & 1 Red Card

Fans Player Of The Year : Bobby Convey

CLUB STATS

Highest Attendance : 24106 V QPR on 20.10.2007

Lowest Attendance : 13271 V Hartlepool

Average Attendance : 21561

Best Unbeaten Streak : 7 from 04.08.2007 - 28.8.2007

Worst Losing Streak : 4 from 25.08.2007 - 15.09.2007

Highest Transfer Fee Paid : £1.9M for Dickson Etuhu from Bolton

Highest Transfer Fee Received : £650,000 for Dickson Etuhu to Leeds

peachbanner4.jpg

Eagles Fly Back To The Premiership

Crystal Palace manager James Woodward has done what many pundits called impossible by guiding a side widely tipped to battle relegation, not only to promotion but to the league title. As many will remember this is not the first time Woodward has weaved his magic he guided an Oxford side from League Two to the Championship in consecutive seasons, and his magic has rubbed off on Palace as he guides them to their first trophy for 14 years.

Here is the tense end of season run in which gave Palace the title:

Bolton 4-1 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 3-0 Hartlepool

Leeds 1-1 Crystal Palace

Hull 2-2 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2-0 Preston

QPR 1-3 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 4-2 Stoke

Crystal Palace/B] 3-1 Reading

Sheff Wed 2-0 Crystal Palace

Sunderland 3-5 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2-0 Bristol C

Wigan 3-1 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 1-1 Derby

Burnley 0-2 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2-0 Coventry

Oxford 1-3 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 3-0 Ipswich

Luton 0-3 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2-0 Gillingham

Nottm Forest 0-0 Crystal Palace

And the final league table:

| 1st | C | Crystal Palace | | 46 | 31 | 10 | 5 | 97 | 38 | +59 | 103 |

| 2nd | P | Wigan | | 46 | 29 | 13 | 4 | 78 | 29 | +49 | 100 |

| 3rd | P | Bolton | | 46 | 26 | 12 | 8 | 82 | 46 | +36 | 90 |

| 4th | | Coventry | | 46 | 24 | 11 | 11 | 86 | 50 | +36 | 83 |

| 5th | | Nottm Forest | | 46 | 21 | 14 | 11 | 69 | 48 | +21 | 77 |

| 6th | | Burnley | | 46 | 23 | 7 | 16 | 62 | 52 | +10 | 76 |

| 7th | | Reading | | 46 | 20 | 15 | 11 | 66 | 49 | +17 | 75 |

| 8th | | Sheff Wed | | 46 | 20 | 12 | 14 | 69 | 59 | +10 | 72 |

| 9th | | Hull | | 46 | 18 | 14 | 14 | 59 | 57 | +2 | 68 |

| 10th | | Ipswich | | 46 | 19 | 9 | 18 | 59 | 49 | +10 | 66 |

| 11th | | Derby | | 46 | 18 | 12 | 16 | 61 | 63 | -2 | 66 |

| 12th | | Cardiff | | 46 | 17 | 13 | 16 | 70 | 60 | +10 | 64 |

| 13th | | Oxford | | 46 | 18 | 9 | 19 | 62 | 65 | -3 | 63 |

| 14th | | Plymouth | | 46 | 17 | 11 | 18 | 57 | 65 | -8 | 62 |

| 15th | | Leeds | | 46 | 16 | 13 | 17 | 62 | 61 | +1 | 61 |

| 16th | | Sunderland | | 46 | 14 | 10 | 22 | 49 | 71 | -22 | 52 |

| 17th | | Q.P.R. | | 46 | 13 | 12 | 21 | 44 | 59 | -15 | 51 |

| 18th | | Luton | | 46 | 13 | 10 | 23 | 41 | 69 | -28 | 49 |

| 19th | | West Ham | | 46 | 8 | 21 | 17 | 48 | 69 | -21 | 45 |

| 20th | | Stoke | | 46 | 12 | 8 | 26 | 40 | 71 | -31 | 44 |

| 21st | | Bristol C | | 46 | 8 | 15 | 23 | 43 | 67 | -24 | 39 |

| 22nd | R | Preston | | 46 | 11 | 6 | 29 | 43 | 78 | -35 | 39 |

| 23rd | R | Gillingham | | 46 | 10 | 8 | 28 | 49 | 71 | -22 | 38 |

| 24th | R | Hartlepool | | 46 | 10 | 7 | 29 | 33 | 83 | -50 | 37 |

| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Manager’s Note

Well what can I say this has been another great season for me, another league winners medal, and a manager of the year award. I have to thank the board for backing me, the players for proving the critics wrong and the fans for being there all the way. I aim to make big changes over the summer, and will be bringing in some world class players that have experience at the top level. Finally Palace are back where we belong!

Until Next Time

James Woodward

michaelbanner2.jpg

huddersfield town

last 10 games report,

crew 0-2 huddersfield

Huddersfield 0-1 Tranmere

Huddersfield 2-2 Peterborough

Huddersfield 2-2 Tranmere

Brighton 2-2 Huddersfield

Huddersfield 2-1 Walsall

Rotheram 2-0 Huddersfield

Huddersfield 2-1 Blackpool

Watford 0-1 Huddersfield

Rushden 1-3 Huddersfield

Finished the season in 16th place which isnt bad as i was tipped for relegation by several quaters of the media.

Next season?

Dont expect many big signings in the summer as the board have informed me that only £75k will be available angryfire.gif. Have been tipped for a mid-table finish and i think that i should be able to pull that off if the players stay focused and give 110%.

MICHAEL CAHILL

dalebanner4.jpg

Smurthwaite Takes On Baggies Challenge

New West Brom manager Dale Smurthwaite has revealed that he wishes to take West Brom back into the Premiership as soon as possible. They were relegated last season after finishing bottom of the Premiership and Smurthwaite has brought in a lot of new faces in order to achieve this task.

PLAYERS IN

DLC - Djimi Traore - £1.4M from Coventry

AMLC - Nastja Ceh - Free Transfer

GK - Jamie Young - £85k from Reading

STR - Hjalmar Porarinsson - £85k from Hearts

STR - Kiegan Parker - £1.3M from Blackpool

FRLC - Marian Pahars - Free Transfer

D/MR - Damien Johnson - Free Transfer

DC - Sebastiean Mendez - £10k from Reading

AMC - Leandro Romagnoli - Free Transfer

DC - Phillipe Senderos - Free Transfer

PLAYERS OUT

GK - Steve Harper - £50k to Barnsley

STR - Kyle Patterson - £150k to Brentford

D/AML - Lloyd Dyer - £600k to Bristol City

DLC - Aaron Labonte - £120k to Barnsley

DR - Tom Clarke - ££100k to Bristol Rovers

FLC - Ben Beckford - £65k to Stockport

DMRC - Antonio Nunuez - £100k to Bradford

AMC - Rob Davis - £1.5M to Bolton

D/DMLC - Neil Clement - £1M to Hull

GK - Koen Verhoeff - £22k to Wycombe

MC - Richard Chaplow - £500k to Burnley

STR - John Richards - £1k to Stockport

D/DMC - Joakim Persson - £30k to Djurgarden

D/DML - Paul Robinson - £625k to Leeds

MC - Rory Delap - £100k to Derby

So as you can see, the Smurthwaite revolution has started and he certainly means business and has binned a lot of over paid players in favour of more affordable, reliable targets.

The aquisition of Nastja Ceh and Djimi Traore being the two transfers that stick out.

Smurthwaite has indicated to me that he still wants some covering players for injuries, but his very high wage budget is restricting him somewhat. Perhaps some of the old guard at West Brom will be moving on shortly like Sami Hyypia and Erik Bakke who are large wage earners at The Hawthorns.

The season has just got underway and after a successful pre-season campaign, the first League game was against Leeds.

West Brom 1 V Leeds 1

An even game but Leeds perhaps just edging The Baggies out on posession. Kiegan Parker scored on his debut for West Brom and a good attendance was present. New keeper Jamie Young made a tentative start to his West Brom career, but I'm sure he will improve.

Star Man - Hosain Kaebi (West Brom)

So there is a lot to come from this relatively new team that Smurthwaite has put together and it will take a bit of time to gel, but when it does, the opposition better watch out. Smurthwaite is out to prove a point here.

Until my next report...

DS.

raybanner2.jpg

Brighton fail again in the playoffs

As there is along list of results to catch up on so i will just list the results:

Results

Brighton 3 vs 1 Leyton Orient (LDV southern 2nd round)

Brighton 1 vs 1 Oldham

Millwall 3 vs 1 Brighton

Brighton 3 vs 1 Havant & W (F.A Cup 1st round)

Crewe 0 vs 2 Brighton

Huddersfield 1 vs 4 Brighton

Walsall 1 vs 2 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 0 Northampton

Brighton 3 vs 0 Peterborough

Rotherham 2 vs 1 Brighton

Brighton 0 vs 1 Watford

Barnsley 3 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 0 Doncaster

Chesterfield 3 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 4 vs 0 Scunthorpe

Notts Co 1 vs 3 Brighton

Southampton 3 vs 1 Brighton (F.A Cup 2nd round)

Sheff Utd 2 vs 1 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 1 Swindon

Torquay 1 vs 3 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 3 Rushden (LDV southern semi final)

Walsall 0 vs 1 Brighton

Brighton 4 vs 0 Tranmere

Rushden 1 vs 3 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 1 Cambridge

Brighton 1 vs 1 Colchester

Brentford 1 vs 3 Brighton

Port Vale 1 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 2 Millwall

Oldham 1 vs 3 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 0 Crewe

Peterborough 1 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 2 Huddersfield

Brighton 1 vs 1 Rotherham

Watford 0 vs 0 Brighton

Brighton 2 vs 1 Barnsley

Doncaster 0 vs 3 Brighton

Brighton 1 vs 0 Notts Co

Watford 1 vs 0 Brighton (Playoff semi 1st leg)

Brighton 1 vs 0 Watford (Playoff semi 2nd leg

Port Vale 3 vs 1 Brighton (Playoff Final)

Well there you have it another season ends in disappointment for me and the lads, We just need to believe in ourselves and it will happen icon_wink.gif .

raybanner2.jpg

Now for this forthcoming season i have made a few changes and they are.

Players to come in

Andy Smith from Bristol Rover for 55k

Chris Armstrong from Stockport for 50k

Kjell Andre Thu from Notts Co for 325k

Zesh Rehman from Fulham for 200k

Phil Jevons from Yeovil for free

Filip Sebo from Bohemians Prague for 170k

Giorgos Makris from PAOK for free

Giovanni Federico from Genoa for free

Players to leave were

Lee Grant to Sheff Utd for 100k

Jonathan Evans to Hornchurch for 22k

Ross Blackwell to York for 350k

Liam Lawrence to Bradford City for 40k

Dean Hammond to York for 130k

Craig Westcarr to Swansea for 35k

Ben Pearson to Scunthorpe for 200k

Kevin Davies to Moor Green for 12k

Lee Trundle and Andrew Griffin were both released.

One game has been played so far and here it is:

Brighton 1 vs 1 Wycombe

Not the start we needed but at least it wasn't a defeat our goal came from a Gary Hart strike.

Man of the Match: Rodger Johnson (Wycombe)

Till next time where hopefully i will have news of a top of the table Brighton.

One optimistic manger.

Ray

icon_smile.gif

andybanner2.jpg

Playoffs kings Port Vale continue march up the leagues!

Port Vale have secured their second successive promtion via the League 1 playoffs. Times at Port Vale are anything but boring these days, with a relegation and 2 promotions coming during Andy Silk's time in charge. This years promotion to The English Championship was secured when Port Vale first beat Swndon over 2 legs in the playoff semi's and then by beating Brighton 3-1 in the final.

Andy Silk had this to say after his 2nd playoffs success in 2 years;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> At the start of this year we were written off as certain relegation strugglers, so to say we've proved the critics wrong is an understatement. Maybe now people will start to take Port Vale Football Club a bit more seriously after what we have achieved this season! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The results from the last games went as follows;

Port Vale 2-0 Huddersfield

Port Vale 4-0 Millwall

Oldham 0-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-0 Crewe

Port Vale 1-0 Brighton

Peterborough 1-1 Port Vale

Rotherham 1-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 1-1 Watford

Barnsley 2-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-2 Doncaster

Notts Co 1-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-0 Chesterfield

Scunthorpe 1-2 Port Vale

Port Vale 2-0 Sheff Utd

Swindon 3-1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0-0 Torquay

This was enough for the side from Vale Park to qualify for the Playoffs by finishing in 4th position. They were drawn against Swindon Town in the Semi-Final, a team they had lost to less than a month earlier.

Swindon 1-1 Port Vale

An early goal from Christian Negouai on 24 mins for Port Vale before a Chris Taylor goal made it all even going into the second leg. Man of the match was goalscorer Christain Negouai.

After a good away draw Port Vale just needed a victory to go through to the final.

Port Vale 3-0 Swindon

A tight game untill the 72nd minute when Port Vale's Clarke Carlisle headed the opener, this meant that Swindon would need 2 goals to go through. And as they pressed for the goals they needed, they were twice hit on the break by Ian Armstrong in the 77th and 90th minutes. Man of the Match was left winger Ryan Smith who set up 2 of the goals.

An great win over a strong Swndon side meant that Port Vale were into the Playoff final against Ray Robson's Brighton side.

Port Vale 3-1 Brighton

Port Vale were the first to strike with a goal from on loan Italian Guiseppe Rossi on the 40th minute, but Brighton hit back almost immmediatly through Neil Danns on the 44th minute. The tie was delicately balanced going into the 2nd half, but eventually Port Vale ran out winners with a second from Rossi on 70 minutes before Clarke Carlisle made sure in the 83 minute. Man of the Match was 2 goal hero Guiseppe Rossi.

Port Vale had completed a tremendous 2 years with promotion to The Championship.

Season Report to follow,

Andy Silk

andybanner2.jpg

Season Report 2007/08

After a great season in League 1, Port Vale will now be playing their matches in The Championship next season. Below are the stats from the season just gone by;

Highest Attendance:- 15976 (vs Swindon in Play-off Semi Final)

Average Attendance:- 9839

Biggest Win:- 5-0 (vs Sheff Utd)

Biggest Defeat:- 3-0 (vs Rotherham)

Most Games Won in Row:- 5

Most Games Lost in a Row:- 3

Most Games Without Losing:- 8

Most Games Without Winning:- 6

Top Goalscorer:- Billy Paynter (25)

Top League Goalscorer:- Billy Paynter (24)

Most Goals in a Match:- Guiseppe Rossi (3 vs Millwall)

Most Assists:- Ryan Smith (18)

Highest Average Rating:- Christian Negouai (7.78 in 27 apps)

Most MoM's:- Ryan Smith (5)

Worst Discipline:- Luke Guttridge (10 Yellow & 1 Red)

Youngest Player:- Anthony stokes (19)

Oldest Player:- Marcel Mahouve (34)

Fans Player of the Year:- Billy Paynter

After great season where Port Vale defied all expectation to gain promotion to The Championship, the hard work to keep the club at this level will begin now.

Manager Andy Silk said this about his teams chances of surviving at this level;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Its going to be tough I have to admit, but we have proved nearly everybody wrong this season so I'm sure we can do the same next season. We will just look forward to testing ourselves against some of the best teams in the country! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

End of Season Report Over,

Until next time,

Andy Silk

dalebanner4.jpg

West Brom Make Flying Start!

New manager Dale Smurthwaite has instilled some belief back into The Baggies and they have started this season very well. 4 wins, a draw and 2 losses so far in the Championship and progression to the 2nd round of the League Cup. Striker Kiegan Parker has signalled his intent aswell by scoring 6 goals in 6 games. An impressive start.

PLAYERS IN

D/DMR - Maurice Ross - £40k from Nottm Forest

DMRC - Barry Nicholson - £1.5M from San JOse

PLAYERS OUT

FRC - Michael Strutter - £1k to MK Dons

AMRLC - Jason Koumas - £300k to Bolton

GK - David Curtis - £100k to Wigan

AMRC - Ross Clarke - £40k to Swindon

That rounds up the player movements at The Hawthorns. I very much doubt Smurthwaite will be purchasing anymore players in the near future as West Brom's wage bill is extremely high. We may see a couple more faces leaving the club though to cut player expenses.

As I said earlier, The Baggies have made a great start and I'll go through results so far after the last session.

Nottm Forest 1 V West Brom 3

A good result to get the morale going here with Parker scoring a nice brace to earn his team the 3 points.

Star Man - Jamie Young (West Brom)

West Brom 2 V Reading 0

Smurthwaite was booed as he came into sight and into his dugout. He had not long left The Royals and there was still some ill feeling held by some of the fans. However, a 2-0 win for Smurthwaite's new team. One fan was arrested for throwing a coin at ex-Reading keeper Jamie Young, now at West Brom.

Star Man - Jamie Young (West brom)

Plymouth 3 V West Brom 2

In a game that could have gone either way, West Brom put on a good show, twice pulling level from behind in the game. A late strike by Plymouth's Dean Evans snatched a point away from West Brom.

Star Man - Nastja Ceh (West Brom)

West Brom 1 V MIddlesbrough 0

A good result here for West Brom as they beat fellow relagtees Middlesbrough in a game that should have gone to the opposition. Kiegan Parker's sneaky goal stealing the 3 points for The Baggies.

Star Man - Nastja Ceh (West Brom)

West Brom 3 V York 1 - League Cup 1st Round

Everyone thought an upset might have been on the cards when York took the lead in just eight minutes. Keigan Parker again showed them all how it was done a bagged a brace to add to Bakke's 37th minute strike. Through to the next round to meet Bolton.

Star Man - Keigan Parker (West Brom)

Sheffield Utd 0 V West Brom 2 - Televised Match (Late KickOff)

Marian Pahars was the business here and scored both goals to put West Brom back to the top of the Championship. However, its very close at the top at this stage and it can all change as we see next.

Star Man - Erik Bakke (West Brom)

Sunderland 2 V West Brom 0

As I said above, it can all change so quickly in the league and no clear favourites have emerged as yet. Sunderland were very good in this match and deserved the 3 points. West Brom have dropped to 7th but Smurthwaite isn't worried. There's a long way to go yet.

Star Man - Allan McGregor (Sunderland)

Next sees West Brom take on QPR at The Hawthorns in the Championship. If Kiegan Parker can keep his form up through the whole season, he my just become a fans favourite here.

Until my next report...

DS.

maccabanner2.jpg

A lot has happened at Crewe since last season,The Alexandra Stadium has seen some what of a mini revoltion.....A Maccaluiton if you like!!

When manager gordon Macari took over last season the team were struggling and continued to struggle untill Macari's own influence clearly took affect,which wasnt till the tail end of the season which culminated in a 13th place finish which is a lot higher than many so-called madiea pundits had predicted.

This a a non-deatiled run down of the results:

Results Season 2007.08

0 - 0 Blackpool

0 - 0 Colchester

0 - 2 Brentford

2 - 0 Millwall

0 - 0 Cambridge

0 - 2 Port vale

2 - 2 Oldham

0 - 2 Huddersfield

2 - 1 Peterborough

0 - 1 Brighton

0 - 0 Rotherham

2 - 0 Watford

2 - 1 Barnsley

3 - 0 Doncaster

1 - 0 Notts Co

2 - 0 Chesterfield

4 - 1 Scunthorpe

End Of Season 2007/08

maccabanner2.jpg

SEASON 2008/09

Macari's full effect can be seen on Crewe now and a lot of it has to be his amazing eye for the bargin and futures stars!

2008/09 Key Transfer In:

Johannes Djourou DMC - Young holding midfielder from the Arsenal school of excellence,Macari see's this boy as the rock with the path of an angel!

Anthony Stokes STK - Anothr coup from the Arsenal school,quick Stk with a great first touch and the finish of a vetren.

Alan O'Brian AML - speedy winger from newcatle,tipped to be a premiership star,Macari hopes he can be that star in his Crewe side.

Guilherme STK - This is a major signing for Macari,the brizilian forward will add that magical touch to Crewe's league 1 challenge.

Wes Morgan DC - experinced centre back,will form a rock solid defencesive partnership with Ricky.

Micheal Chopra STK - This could be Macari's greatest signing,chopra will lead t attack for Macari's side in league 1,the championship and hopefully the Premiership.

Results So Far:

3 - 1 Tranmmere

0 - 1 Chesterfield

2 - 0 Watford

2 - 0 Wycombe

1 - 3 Birminghan (League Cup)

2 - 1 Scunthorpe

These results leave Macari's side sitting 2nd in the league,Gordon see's this season as oppertunity to gel a team for the future but also to ensure promotion to the Championship. So far this season has went to plan,we will have to see if both Macari and his squad can keep it up over the long season ahead!

Till next time from the Alexandra stadium!

Mac 10!!

peachbanner4.jpg

Positive Start From Palace

Crystal Palace have enjoyed a good start to the season, as they look to silence their critics once again. Woodward who has stated his ambitions to guide Palace into Europe, has made a very good start and at the minute are looking very confident.

Here are their opening five results:

Crystal Palace 0-0 Wolves

Crystal Palace 4-1 Man City

Bolton 2-2 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 1-2 Fulham

Southampton 2-2 Crystal Palace

And the current league table:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> | Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Liverpool | | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0 | 12 | 2 | +10 | 15 |

| 2nd | | Tottenham | | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 9 | 3 | +6 | 13 |

| 3rd | | Fulham | | 4 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 10 | 1 | +9 | 12 |

| 4th | | Arsenal | | 5 | 4 | 0 | 1 | 14 | 8 | +6 | 12 |

| 5th | | Charlton | | 5 | 2 | 3 | 0 | 8 | 4 | +4 | 9 |

| 6th | | Man Utd | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 7 | 4 | +3 | 8 |

| 7th | | Newcastle | | 4 | 2 | 2 | 0 | 5 | 2 | +3 | 8 |

| 8th | | Chelsea | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 7 | 8 | -1 | 7 |

| 9th | | Crystal Palace | | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 9 | 7 | +2 | 6 |

| 10th | | Blackburn | | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 5 | 5 | 0 | 6 |

| 11th | | Man City | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 9 | 11 | -2 | 6 |

| 12th | | Wolves | | 5 | 0 | 5 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 5 |

| 13th | | Southampton | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 11 | -5 | 5 |

| 14th | | Leicester | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 4 | 6 | -2 | 4 |

| 15th | | Aston Villa | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 9 | -3 | 4 |

| 16th | | Everton | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 3 | 7 | -4 | 4 |

| 17th | | Norwich | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 5 | 11 | -6 | 4 |

| 18th | | Bolton | | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 10 | -5 | 2 |

| 19th | | Portsmouth | | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 9 | -6 | 2 |

| 20th | | Wigan | | 5 | 0 | 0 | 5 | 2 | 11 | -9 | 0 |

A positive start from Palace, hopefully they can keep it up and march into Europe.

Until Next Time

James Woodward

Archived