The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

our one day side is stupid, we should be playing 5 frontline bowlers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harmison, Gough, Lewis, Flintoff, Collingwood. All front line bowlers in a one day game.

It's just the fact that the latter two are all rounders that makes me think we should have played Batty as well.

Vaughan and Pietersen as back-up isn't good enough.

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

During the test series we were saying that the Bangladeshis would get a couple of good young players on which to build a competetive team around. Perhaps I'm being a bit premature here, but Mortaza and Ashraful could be the couple of players they've been looking for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

although they've started slowly at the top level (yes, you may now make your jokes icon_biggrin.gif), according to all reports the bangladeshis have an absolutely brilliant youth setup that should ensure they don't go the way the likes of kenya and zimbabwe in the future.

apparently, there is more concern for sri lanka post murali than there is for the future of bangladesh at test level...

• 2 weeks later...

Derbys 84/2 (8.3 overs) Cork and Anderson took a pounding then Keedy came on and managed to get Moss. Normally I wouldn't worry as 189 is a winning total when Murali is playing, but Symonds isn't quite as good with the ball icon_frown.gif this could be close which is ridiculous as we've thrashed Derbyshire twice already. Also the weather is looking pretty bad, it could rain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

we play the winners, mon the bears, if anyone can get me a ticket let me know icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't the Semis and Final on the same day at the Oval?

England "letting" the aussies bowl at them, great way to engineer a collapse. Ok, Mcgrath is bowling well but you just can't allow every ball to look like a peach! icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefinalbroadcast:

Well done England! Who was bowling? *still at work* icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flintoff i believe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Professor_Rocastle:

What I mean is, has there been a team in a comparable position to the one the Aussies find themselves in who have actually managed to win the match?

(Test level obv.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1992/PAK_IN_ENG/PAK_ENG_T2_18-21JUN1992.html

:*(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty2k:

anyone hear mcgrath in the stump mic? "everyball freddie bowls is a no ball..." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he? That's genius icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

90% sure he did yeh, temper temper glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haze.13:

The problem with the G Jones situation is that you can't teach a guy to have soft hands and brilliant reflexes. There is no point trying to find the next Gilchrist because he is a freak! Good keepers do there job and that is to keep wickets not score runs. Scoring runs is secondary. Keepers catch the ball. Batsmen score runs. Bowlers take wickets. Get it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

tbf I don't think they want to get either of these two out that much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't matter whether Flintoff or Pietersen is in next, they'd rather have a go at them being the new batsmen than these two who are have adgusted to the conditions tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i just don't know where to start with that one. dropped dean jones avg 45, same with michael slater, david boon, mark waugh, darren lehmann etc etc etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

during an ashes series? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh... slater. 2001. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't he "dropped" after you'd already won the series?

ok, enough about us! this is the ashes, we're supposed to be talking about how many changes you lot will make... icon_frown.gif

personally i wouldn't drop hoggard. but all the talk is you will. geraint jones is the only other player under any pressure, in spite of his brilliant catch to dimiss warne.

any chance either/both will go?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cheese On Toast:

why is it that in the first innings they can hardly get them out early, but when we are chasing a score to win they get us out quickly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's generally recognised that pitches are harder to bat on on the last day for a start...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

Any early news on the weather yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably wrong but i heard theres a chance of showers of day 1 but it should be fine for the rest of the test

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Warne just seems to care more, plus he knows what he's doing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

warne is the best test captain we've never had.

his captaincy in sri lanka after waugh broke his nose, was quite simply brilliant. his record as a captain at first class level (something ponting doesn't have, having never been a first class captain) is equally brilliant, and his record as skipper in odi's is astounding (i think he only lost one match in 26 or something like that as odi captain).

and while pontings record as odi skipper is pretty good, and he is a good odi captain, there have been question marks over him from long before this series started...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reg DeKram:

prays Bell lasts more than 5 overs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One ball... icon_frown.gif

67/3... now I'm bricking it as Hoggy would say

I'm feeling distraught that I've missed out on the last three days - not only watching it on TV but it being on the news, the radio, in every conversation... When I come back tomorrow night, it'll all be done with, victory parade, cricket on normal TV, Warne in England, Richie Benaud... I've missed a lot more than just a game of crikeet being out here. I even ended up spending nearly 5 euros on a Times today just to catch up on all the reporting and stuff...

Someone called me when I was in a cocktail bar to tell me it had finished and we'd done it, and the whole bar ended up toasting the win despite literally no-one knowing what was going on icon_biggrin.gif

To be honest, my thoughts are about all those moments from Ashes series' past, back when I was knee-high, when the Aussies seemed like robotic superme. That day Border scored 200 in partnership with Mark Waugh in 93, and the superhuman catch MW took to dismiss Stewart for 8 in the same series when he looked set for a big hundred (I remember that series SO vividly). The easing back from being a test down in 1997 with a sense of inevitability. The invincibility of 2001.

And now they've been vanquished. Not so much an end of an era as the destruction of the world order of crikeet that I'd pretty much accepted would always exist. I can't believe I missed it.

Archived