The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hermolt:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

credit where it's due: well done to hermolt for losing graciously icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Aussie Rules team lost by the 4th biggest margin in their history on Friday night. I'm used to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't worry, your weekend will almost certainly improve immensely tomorrow as the Aussie backlash hits England icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll win by one wicket instead icon_confused.gif

Not really because the true all rounder will get into the side on the strength of his batting or his bowling alone, there's no reason for a decent all rounder to worry abut his place in the team. It's the pappy ones who will hopefully be culled from ODI cricket.

Anything which stops Mohammed Hafeez from playing for Pakistan ever again must be a good idea

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone mention this while I was away? Could be fun if it doesn't pour with rain for 3 days...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

THE WORLD’S top cricketing stars are heading to Grace Road for a new International 20:20 Club Championship that could one day become the game’s own version of the Champions League.

Many of cricket’s leading international players of recent times will feature in a three day tournament in September as Leicestershire becomes the focus of attention for this exciting format of the game with a combined worldwide television audience expected to top 200 million.

South African Test stars AB de Villiers, Andre Nel, Daryll Cullinan and Justin Kemp will head up the Nashua Titans, while an Asian XI will include Indian Test pair VVS Laxman and Harbhajan Singh alongside Pakistan stars Azhar Mahmood and Saqlain Mushtaq.

Leicestershire Foxes, who have established themselves as one of the top exponents of Twenty20 cricket in this country and played in the first such game in Asia earlier this year, will field the team that has enjoyed so much success in the competition again this summer.

And the Foxes will have the opportunity to avenge their semi-final defeat at the weekend because their conquerors Somerset Sabres will be taking part too as the new Twenty20 Champions

Local interest will be heightened by the presence of many other former Leicestershire players, most notably all-rounders Javagal Srinath and Chris Lewis and paceman Devon Malcolm.

A Lashings World XI will also include former West Indies skippers Richie Richardson and Jimmy Adams, as well as South African Test batsman Herschelle Gibbs and New Zealander Chris Cairns, who holds the record for most sixes hit in Test Match cricket.

The teams from three continents taking part in the first International 20:20 Club Championship at Grace Road on September 15, 16 and 17 are Leicestershire Foxes, Somerset Sabres, Nashua Titans, a Lashings World XI, the PCA Masters and the Asian XI.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">**** it, I'm gonna go order the Nathan Astle DVD now so I can watch all that again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that the other day and was tempted by it. I might icon_cool.gif

On the subject of cricket stuff, anyone read Mike Atherton's autobiography, and if so, would you recommend I get it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really good book, definitely one of the better cricketing autobiographies out there icon14.gif

I remember buying it in Leeds when he was in the store signing copies and it was during the early afternoon so not many people were there at the time so I had a chance to sit down and chat with him and he had a couple of sly digs about Pakistan's performance that day being a bit pap and in reply I mentioned the England side's stunning record under his captaincy and we were there for a few minutes just giving one another abuse \o/

Atherton is awesome

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tickets went for £300+ on Ebay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, there are Oval tickets going for 500+ quid, and there's still days left on the auction.

Crazy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got tickets to the oval for the saturday (and was one of the 200,000 or whatever it was that failed in the lords ballot despite going every summer for the last 6/7 years)

one of the guys i'm supposed going to the oval with had the idea of selling our tickets on ebay and going abroad for that weekend instead angryfire.gif

don't care how much they go for on ebay, i'm still going if we're 3-1 down and following on

The following article is rubbish but the headline is something I thought i'd never see in this series

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> England seize control as Aussies crumble

(Reuters)

12 August 2005

MANCHESTER, England - Australia closed on 210-7 after getting much the worst of the second day of the third Test on Friday. England were all out earlier for 444.

Ashley Giles and Simon Jones both took three wickets as England turned the screw after tea.

In the opening session when England were batting, Andrew Flintoff made 46. After lunch Shane Warne took two quick wickets to wrap up the England tail and take his haul to 4-99.

The first day was highlighted by Warne’s 600th test wicket and a fine 166 from England captain Michael Vaughan. The five-match series is tied 1-1.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

whats been the reaction over the pond from papers, news the commenators covering the ashes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They still think they're going to win 5-0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

yeah, but if you go with the barmy army, do you have to participate in singing really annoying songs over and over and over again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haze.13:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hermolt:

Take it from an Australian - Tait is pish. BRING BACK KASPER FFS icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see any of his 62 wickets last season?? Give the boy a chance i say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Selectors have made the right decision. Nothing like a bit of youthful enthusiasm to get the best out of the older guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> pengedragon

look, the ashes are by no means secured yet

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

forget the ashes, its the decline of the team, that is more important

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

What Athers supposedly doing wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saying that England should still bat in bad light </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

england taking the light isn;t th issue. the light being offered in the first place is.

now jonesy and mo matthews are harping on about the scheduling of the tour, playing the last match so late in the summer.

wasn't that supposed to be in our best interests when we arrived??? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nikos:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Not seen these posted - the nominees for the ICC awards have been announced:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Inzamam-ul Haq, Jacques Kallis, Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, and Ricky Ponting.

Test Player of the Year: Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Adam Gilchrist, Inzamam-ul Haq, Jacques Kallis, Younis Khan, Brian Lara, Damien Martyn, Anil Kumble, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Danish Kaneria, Kumar Sangakkara, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh and Shane Warne.

One-Day International Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Andrew Flintoff, Herschelle Gibbs, Adam Gilchrist, Inzamam-ul Haq, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Justin Kemp, Shoaib Malik, Kevin Pietersen, Daniel Vettori, Ricky Ponting, Kumar Sangakkara, Graeme Smith, Andrew Symonds, Marcus Trescothick, Chaminda Vaas and Yousuf Youhana.

Emerging Player of the Year: Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Gautam Gambhir, Dinesh Karthik, Manjural Islam Rana and A.B. De Villiers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No England players nominated for Test Player of the Year? I know the cut-off date was the end of July so Ashes performances don't count, but that still seems a bit strange :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, especially as we had only lost 1 test in that period (July-July) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andrew Strauss just slipped their minds then? A shoe-in for emerging player and did enough to be shortlisted for the Test player one too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Made his debut before the qualifying period tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the rule?

Why isn't the qualifying period April-April or May-May? i.e. when there is a break in test cricket.

Archived