The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pedwar Pump:

i'm in a bad mood cos i just cut my lip shaving </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, but i have to ask... you shave your lip? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hell Hath No Fury:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

youre all bloody jinxing rubbishers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

anti-jinx here, thank you icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif don't reverse the anti-jinx ffs!

• 2 weeks later...

Well that just clipped Leg Stump so he's a bit lucky to be in, but before the aussies start biting my head off, people who are advocating using technology that determines whether Ponting or Martyn edged the ball, would also have to advocate using it for decisions like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the best chance Australia have to get something out of this match, is a draw.

And by putting them in again, we minimize that chance.

Therefore we are minimizing the best chance they have of a result.

Yes, we are slightly improving their chance of pulling off a major shock in getting a win, but surely it's better to give them a better chance of a win, then to give them a better chance of a draw, when as things stood at the end of the 1st innings, a draw was a greater possibility. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't require correction. icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

we would have won the 3rd test had it not been for rain so if rain now prevents an aussie victory in this test... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it sounds ridiculous, but i'd really debate that. our entire approach in our second dig would have been different by necessity (ie big ask to bat out an extra sixty overs when playing for a draw), and given that we were only fifty short whilst batting for a draw, it's by no means a certainty that the rain saved us. something i semi-seriously said at the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what you forget is that had it not been for the rain we would not have declared when we did, we would have batted on & set you an impossible 500+ before having another 40 more overs to bowl you out. You were saved by the weather ffs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the line of thought is that the target was impossible already ffs. it would have been history breaking run chase as it was, it was patently obvious that vaughan was waiting for that mark before declaring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh?! So are you saying that if it hadnt of rained Vaughan would have still declared with a 423 run lead and left you the best part of 2 days to get them icon_confused.gif Ponting might have done, but i assure you Vaughan would have set you 500+ and given his bowlers a day and a half to bowl you out. Which we would have done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Hayden is looking more and more like someone who had an extended run of good form rather than someone who is class </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, the four consecutive calendar years of nearly 1500 runs each was just him hitting a purple patch and in no way indicative of a class player. ffs icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard that view expressed by some other folkses as well about Hayden and I can kinda see where they're coming from. When he made his debut in the Australian side he didn't impress when he had to fac the likes of Donald, Ambrose and Walsh when they were close to their peak. It was only when he came back a few years later when he started bullying some attacks that weren't exactly stellar.

Not denying the guy doesn't have skills because some of the way his demolition jobs have been out of this world but I'm not sure that I'd rank him at the top of a list of the best openers I've seen.

But if you're going to accuse Hayden of being a good player who just went through a really good run of form then you can make a far more convincing case for Vaughan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Just a note, the highest successful run chase in the last 10 tests at The Oval was 110 by England against SA 2 years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't your typical day 5 pitch though. More like mid-late day 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No more like a 4th day pitch as it seems to be 1 day ahead of itself (like a few pitches have been this summer).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

look, i wouldnt be suprised if there's one final twist </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What possible twist could happen?

If they take a hattrick they'd still need 10+ runs an over! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a wild stab in the dark, but I'm not sure sebs was being entirely serious... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Keith says:

thank god for KP now at least freddie wont get soprts personalityof the year and it'll go to someone who desreves

it </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that Bagpuss?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jordyh:

How come Marcus North isn't playing for Australia A? He left lancs early to join the squad. He is crap though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because he sucks. Where is Andy Symonds though? (obv Lancs but why?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Two drunks and a guy with a magic mirror!

icon_biggrin.gif

I actually think the fact they got hammered makes them even more accessible and popular.

Top men, deserving every praise. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt footballers would be called louts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt footballers wouldn't have let the leader of the barmy army on stage with them icon_biggrin.gif

Archived