The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilstudd:

'toss off' is at 5.30pm. methinks an early skive from work is in order </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us finish at 4:30 \o/ icon_razz.gificon_cool.gif

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

what odds would you have got on Collingwood and Tremlett taking all 10? in fact what odds would you have got on anything in that game? can't wait to see the highlights, they really should extend them or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean C4 actually make their highlights program decent? And not cram 100 overs into half an hour including interviews, analysis & ad breaks? Not likely tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn:

No but even the commentators were saying it today </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And a week ago when he was taking wickets in the 20/20 they were w@nking over him saying how he's almost a certainty for the WC2007 side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superdude:

i been trying to listen to sports extra from the website, it keeps saying 'unable to establish a connection'

anyone know a way to fix this?

maybe my computer has been set up so i cant access this sort of thing at work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably, although i'm not listening to sports extra i think, i've opened the BBC player.

open this in windows media player if you can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/live_sportsextra_int.asx

OOverall impressions of day one. A good start made by Tres and Vaughan both of who got out to sloppy shots. Struass was partly at fault for his wicket but Warne's excelent bowling accounted for him. Flintoff only knows one way of playing and that is attacking as does Pieterson so for them to get out to attacking shots is not too bad. I think Bell's dismissal was 50/50 good bowling and por batting. If we had only lost 7 or 8 wickes the first day would have been an excellent, but as we were all out for 407 it is a good performance but I reckon from our start we shopuld have got at least 450 and possible 500.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Just seen the Langer dismissall for the first time and yeah, I'd have said not out tbh so that was a bit jammy but who cares. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but omg hawkeye says it was going to hit !1111!!!onetwothreefour!!!1111!!!****!!!!111

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

mcgrath won't be fit for the third test </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

assuming we go with two spinners, what two quicks would you play for australia? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lee and Kasper. Incidentally if Flintoff is out of OT (God I hope he isn't) I'd much rather we brought in Keedy ahead of Collingwood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"Crunch time will be when Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne move on," he said. "That is when this Australia side will really feel the pinch. Without McGrath in this second Test, Australia were not able to have any control and England just went berserk." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for as much ICifffffb, he's wide of the mark here.

yes the batsmen have been underperforming. but warne was the second best bowler in the match at edgbaston, behind flintoff. so the whole using that test as a 'we can't win without warne and mcgrath' is a bit of a silly thing to say. also note, that trying to imagine THIS team in future without warne and mcgrath is pretty dumb too, because in all likelihood, they'll be two of the last players out of the 'veterans' to go. so most of this team won't play much cricket without that pair.

p.s. i am not 100% sure that the presence of mcgrath would have made that much difference at edgbaston anyway. we won't know if the englishmens new found determination to go on the attack includes when facing mcgrath until you face him again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what Chappell meant was that Australia only nearly won because of Warne (bit harsh on Lee in my opinion), and that when both Warne and Mcgrath retire it will be a lot harder for Australia to win test matches.

I reckon England would have found it harder if Mcgrath had been playing. Even the most patriotic Aussie would have to admit that in the first innings the bowling was quite rubbish and wayward - the great (and infuriating for us poms icon_biggrin.gif) thing about Mcgrath is his accuracy, he very rarely bowls a bad ball. If the England bastmen had tried to smack him around the park there is a good chance they would have been out a lot earlier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy...:

jesus, there's some pessimism in here isn't there? hand on heart, who wouldn't have taken 341/5 at the start of the day? icon_biggrin.gif throw in the bonus of vaughan & bell scoring some runs after a dry spell, we've had a bloody good day.

but yeah, all out for 370 tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just saying it's possible, hell we only won the last test by 2 runs when they needed over 100 for 2 wickets ffs. If anyone can throw it away we can, and I won't start celebrating until we get the last wicket, never mind after day 1.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Scatter, you missed what i asked you before. Did your opinion of Bell change at all after his knock, and if so which way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i haven't read all the back pages yet.

no, it hasn't. not yet. you've got to remember, they're batting on concrete here, and he did struggle for long periods.

he did do a good job, and showed admirable temperament, but i still have serious reservations about his technique. he's still getting caught walking into his defensive shots. and while that won't matter when the ball is straight up and down, on pitches with variable bounce, or lots of lateral movement, he'll struggle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldn't remember if your reservations had been technique or temprament related. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it would have been hard to question his temperament given that he's never really batted under duress at test level.

i have to say, after here, and at edgbaston, given the pressure he was under from the press, he looks to be a pretty tough character.

rumour is that michael clarkes series is over icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They simply won't risk playing many shots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Warne cuts away to the Boundary! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

even playing for a draw you still have to put the bad ball away. It keeps you in touch and in control of the bowling

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

DROP JONES HE'S ****ING **** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hindsight boy speaks again icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touch my hindsight dude.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

We'll win the first test with the papers all going "that's it, the Ashes are coming home". Australia will then absolutely whoop us in the next 2 tests, before the 4th test is washed out. Australia will then win the 5th on the 5th day by 3 wickets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet you a fiver that doesn't happen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

England never win at Lords, Manchester will be a rain-affected draw as usual, the Oval will probably he a bore draw, if England are gonna win a test it'll be at Edgbaston and the Aussies to win at Trent Bridge so 2-1 or 3-0 to Australia </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no comeback against that one!

With Jones's 50, all our batsmen scored a half century this ashes.

Freddie is the 3rd person to get 100 in the ashes for England.

Tresco has had 3 50s but top-scored with 90.

The others are: Geraint 69* (and rising...), Pietersen 71 and Bell 65.

Bell is our only batter to average below 30 in the series.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"I let myself down and I apologise to those who see me as a role model.

"My frustration was compounded by the fact I was run out by a sub fielder, an issue that has concerned us and one we raised before the series," he said.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a numpty

• 2 weeks later...

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/218843.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Australia's cricketers have received death threats via e-mail during their Ashes tour this summer. There has been a significant police presence throughout the series and, at The Oval, security guards have remained on the pitch until the batsmen arrive at the crease.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said today that officers arrested a 32-year-old man on Friday in Stoke-on-Trent, "in connection with an allegation of making threats to kill."

"It appears the Australian cricket team was the target," the spokesman said

Police released the man on bail and ordered him to return to a local police station on October 27. The man wasn't charged with any offence and the police didn't give details of the threats, but said officers from the Computer Crime Unit were leading the investigation.

A Cricket Australia spokesman said the threats were sent to a generic e-mail address. "Obviously it's highly concerning and Cricket Australia acted immediately," the source said. "There is a set procedure for dealing with these matters and that's currently being dealt with by relevant authorities. Given it is now a police matter, it is inappropriate to comment further."

© Cricinfo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK only just woke up \o/

Missed the parade /o\/o\/o\

Tempted to go back to bed icon_cool.gif

I'll just lump some replies all in one big post to save me posting 5 or 6 replies to pap that happened 2 or 3 pages ago

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al3:

bring back ali naqvi and imran nazir (nazir can really hit the ball) tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imran NAzir 14 ball fifty just for you icon_cool.gif The cover drive > *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

But yeah, Afridi's debut must be the bestest debut in the entire history of crikeet shirley? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

entire history of sport. probably. it's so far past the next best as well icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll upload that for you at some point too icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jolly Rancher:

As a longtime cricket fan I can only say I am glad to be a big part of this and I will cherish this all my life. You people have NO idea how much all of this really means to me. I mean the atmosphere and all, I never thought I could see the day.

I havent posted in this thread because its too full of amateurs who dont know the score (Sebs and others) and disrespected Kevin Pietersen who undoubtedly is going to such a superstar that it will be his name thats on cricket computer games just a little while down the road.

If you have any questions about cricket, just ask. I will be glad to help out and make you less ignorant of the fine art that is cricket. A lot of you people are new fans who have been attracted by this series and your knowledge might be a little sketchy, but really theres no need to be ashamed, we all started at some point and I wont be patronising to you at all. We are all humans after all even though I must admit that I am indeed a superior human as my charitable attitude towards gloryhunters as well as my willingness to let said apes tap into my infinite cricket knowledge show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Opposing player who went up most in your estimations (as a person - for the craic etc): Matthew Hayden - funny one this, since one of the enjoyable aspects of the summer was watching him being exposed as a flat track bully with a ludicrously inflated average. Yet this frailty seemed to strip away the seering arrogance he displayed on the field to his opponent, and even showed some compassion; when Strauss was hit by Lee at Old Trafford Hayden was one of the first guys in there to comfort him and make sure he was okay, and that after Strauss had been heavly involved in the ball throwing contretemps earlier in the one dayers. Also you had to applaud the pure courage of his hundred.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love you :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dangerous Dave:

2001 PAKISTAN DREW 1-1 - can't remember.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

England spanking Pakistan by an innings in the first test and then the second and final test at Old Trafford was petering out into a boring draw, then Waqar took the new ball and the collapse started and England lost 8 wickets in 20 overs icon_cool.gif

Helped by David Shepherd missing a couple of Saqlain front foot no-balls and then spending the rest of his career trying to get us back for it ;0

The last day collapse

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

this thread should be ended when the tour squad for pakistan is announced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bagsy starting that thread icon_mad.gif

If any radio station is doing live commentary I'm definitely going to be using Sky+ to synchronise the Sky coverage with the radio commentary and just mute the TV whenever Beefy is on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you going to do that? Because the sky coverage is delayed more than the radio broadcast! You can rewind with Sky+ but no go fast forward on 'live' coverage!

Archived