The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

tomorrow there are /o\ madcap japes /o\, and i havent a clue where to sit because the screen is totally in the wrong place.

might go up on the roof. it's not a special area is it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The roof is often members only but judging by the numbers of kids running up and down the stairs today they may have relaxed that for this match

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phat Phish:

Ponting out within this over, anybody? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, ponting double century

Gotta make the most of this, because as I said, I fully expect you to level the series at Edgbaston (before losing the remaining tests in the series), and I can just expect what this place is going to be like in two weeks. There's no middle ground with you lot. You're either the greatest team around, or absolute pap apparently...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

hmmm sorry what haddin is no where near being as good as gilchrist, same goes for macgill compared to warne. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're not as good as Warne and Gilly but they're not far behind. MacGill is arguably the world's second best leg spinner and has 160 test wickets at an average of 28 and a striker of of 54. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kaneria and Kumble > MacGill tbh, is it just me or has MacGill completely abandoned the googly in the past couple of years?

Dunno about Haddin's keeping but from the little I've seen of him he looks pretty good with the bat though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Collingwood hit 181 not out today for Durham with David Graveney watching. Reckon he will be in the squad at least for the 2nd test, he might be able to take a few catches too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's got to be better than Giles. icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haze.13:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSES:

dunno about jones, he's a well built big boy!!

In an overall fight i reckon England would take the aussies, they have much more weight and size behind them! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Langer vs Strauss Langer - much more tenacious scrapper TBH

Hayden vs Tres Haydos - no contest there

Ponting vs Vaughan Ponting - ha vaughan getting his nails dirty

Martyn vs Bell Marto - Bell couldn't connect with his face tbh

Clarke vs Pietersen Pieto - gammy shoulder and all

Katich vs G Jones Jones - doubt katich would backup too well

Gilchrist vs Flintoff Flintoff - too much grunt

Warne vs Giles Warne - giles is a pussy

Lee vs Hoggard the Hogg - lee is a pussy too

Gillespie vs S Jones Dizzy - scare factor too much for the lanky naffer

Kaspa vs Harmison Kaspa - the streetfighter too manly for harmy

Aussies 7-4 Poms

Indepth analysis i know post your theories if you like! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Belly would fight dirty, grab his nuts and twist really, really hard and stick his thumb right in his eye and stuff. He's a tiny geezer so he needs to pull out the dirty tricks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alvaro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Wasn't Kasper caught ? Did it hit the flooror something ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't be caught off the glove if it isn't touching the bat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

had he really let go of it by then???

brilliant icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah his bottom hand left the handle a fraction of a second before it hit him. Needed the slow-mo replays to see it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody Billy. How could he not see it? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm watching the fox coverage, which is carrying the BSkyB broadcast. from the few seconds I saw, it appears SBS must be getting the CH4 coverage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gah, meant to add - so we haven't seen the super slow-mo of it yet, and we won't coz the coverage has just finished... icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch the replay tomorrow arvo on SBS

Heh, much as I hate to fuel the rivalry further, but I seem to remember Scatter going on about how Aussie #11 McGrath averaged more at Lords than most of our top order?

Interesting to compare Simon Jones' two unbeaten knocks totaling 31 with these Aussie averages at Edgbaston:

Hayden 15.5

Ponting 30.5

Martyn 24

Katich 10

icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

Gahahahaahaaaaaaa! icon_biggrin.gif Awwww did the bad man knock a few sixes off your pace attack? icon_frown.gif My deepest sympathies. Lets hope you don't have to go through that again icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you actually read any of what he wrote? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but he accuses Beefy of just swinging the bat, he's being derogatory about one of the finest batting performances ever seen. TBH it was a joke icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

haha can't believe they are risking him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're assuming it's a risk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I twisted my ankle last week, and I'm not going to run in and bowl at full pelt, and I've had two days extra recovery. If he does bowl at fully fit, I want some of what he's had this past week.

My dream commentary team would be:

Host/Frontman: Nicholas

Commentators: Atherton, Holding, Benaud, Gower, Bumble, Greig, Hussain, and back from the dead Jonners.

There's a good article in August issue of All Out Cricket about Commentary Dream Teams, and Carl Crowe (former Leicestershire player) comes out with a brilliant lineup: Benaud, Alan Green, Murray Walker, Paul Allott, Keira Knightley icon_biggrin.gif, and Biorge Lillein, who? I hear you ask, but he's the guy who went off on one when the Norwegians beat us in 81. Imagine the scene, England win the Ashes with the last ball and Biorge could come out with the classic, 'England have beaten the mighty Australians. We've Beaten You! Rolf Harris, Kylie Minogue, Alf from Home and Away, Kangaroos, Waltzing Matilda, All of the girls from Prisoner Cell Block H, Can you hear me? Throw another shrimp on your barbie because your boys took one helluva beating!'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

Imagine the sun causing problems in Manchester! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't there glare of one of the office buildings one year. I remember Dickie Bird walking towards the side giving it one to the occupants telling them to close their window. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was shouting at the dressing rooms or one of the boxes, somewhere in the ground anyway. It was actually some greenhouses a bit further away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might have Michael Clarke waving from his hotel room. icon_wink.gif

He's been good with the bat for at least 5 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but consistently outscoring the top 6???? He should give them all a batting masterclass, lol.

Or at least do a masterclass for C4 (direct opposite to Athers and his leg-spin class, lol)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raptor:

I never understood why cricinfo says things like "Minimum overs remaining today: 28.0"

6.30 is 6.30, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, there SHOULD be 28 overs left in the day, but the Aussies over-rate is slower then Gilchrist's reactions.

Hit him outside the line there I think </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesnt matter, he didnt play a shot, only when a shot is played does the outside line matter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Crawley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NICK_GIFF:

To be honest, at the moment Cricket>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Football. Who wants to watch a dull Premiership match (tbh most are) when you can watch this series!!!!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact i prefer Cricket anyway makes me a little biased.... icon_razz.gif

Perhaps it's an overstatement, but it seems as though cricket is having a similar effect on the country to that which followed England beating Holland 4-1 in Euro '96. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

we are giving them hope that is the problem </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bret lee slogging every ball lowering the total.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

I want the Ashes but even if they win we don't lose the series ... the fact we are competing with the Aussies and having on the back foot so many times in this series is fantastic - we have a great side and if we had more depth with the bat, i.e. better than Bell it would be even better ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

England is a very good team at the moment, but let's not tout the word "great" too easily.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

thought bell and colly got two pretty raw decisions, although I heard Mark Nicholas call Bell's "plum" later on. I didn't think it looked it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

collingwood got a raw decision, i'm not sure about bell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Boltman:

How on earth has Mohammad Sami pitched up in the A squad?. Have Wasim & Waqar un-retired or sommat?. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because hes been crap for ages, this might give him the kick up the backside he requires

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Also surely there will be only a maximum of 96 overs today, due to the fact we lose two overs for the change of innings? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the timing, like if it happens so that they can take an early tea, for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Pietersen the jammiest player EVER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seen Michael Clarke bat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pietersen's had more luck than every other player from either side combined icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

errrr... trescothick??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even close, the number of Pietersen's been dropped/given not out wrongly beggars belief. He really should have gone on and scored a ******** of runs given the number of second and third lives he's had </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

trescothick has been out twice off no balls, and not past fifty without having a relatively straightforward chance dropped.

throw in the caught behind that he practically middled...

trescothick has had an unbelievable series in that regard.

All day I've had the following songs playing on my stereo:

Colonel Bogey (River Kwai March)

Great Escape

Land of Hope and Glory

Nessun Dorma

'Fight on the Beaches'

Swing Low

DamBusters March

Abide with Me

I Vow to Thee, my Country

'Battle of Agincourt' speech from Henry V

Rule Britannia

Jerusalem

National Anthem

I think I'm going to burst into tears if we avoid defeat! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was playing Jerusalem at tea, and while searching my music library i found made in england by elton john so i played that aswell icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

So does anyone still KP cant do it under pressure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's been a good knock and all, but let's not get too carried away. he was dropped three times after all... two of them before he made fifty...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bóithéimeach:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

This reminds me of ITV going to a break as we celebrated on the pitch in the Nou Camp in '99 icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would you know?

Any real fan worth his salt would have been there in person icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm WAY too happy to bother biting on that icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd SO traded both sets of grandparents to be there today, but I'm at home, drinking Red Stripe (product placement icon_mad.gif) happy as anything icon14.gif

Archived