since FM10 come out i have been going my beloved Cardiff City, and tried out differant tactics, to be honest i think there isnt one i havent tried. the best one i found was playing with width full and passing down both flanks because whittingham and burke are superb. however, its always the same story, i created about 40 chances in the first half, 1-on-1s corners, shots from outside the area, the ball either goes wide or over and we never seem to score, then soon as the opposition get the ball, they just walk it right up to my goal and score, second half is the same execpt we dont make any chances. can anyone tell me a tactic that can bring goals in or stop conceading them please.

p.s if im lucky i might get a 2/3 goal lead first half and then lose 4/5/6 - 3 at the end.

Don't play so wide (narrow formations are favoured by the ME).

Slow down the tempo.

Play a possession game.

Give your strikers time (i.e. tone down the long shots)

Look at your games in a lot more detail. From your post I'm guessing you're assuming a lot 40 chances in the first half is impossible, and the "if I'm lucky" scenario is a once every two years scenario or a team playing two divisions above it's level.

i have played a narrow formation before and teams just pass it and then run down the flanks cross it, 1-0 im losing again :\

noo i didnt mean 40 chances exactly, i ment it as in i create a load. the "if im lucky scenario" doesnt happen much because by half time im usually 2/3 - 0 down by then. any chance have you played as cardiff or

No my current save is Betis, where I started at the same level as you. I find that I rarely get more than 15 chances, but I have no problem scoring (I think I'm 18-0 after 7 games, not opening the save this late).

I don't play completely narrow (actually like a wide formation), but all out wing formation is suicide. I score a lot from headers due to a top forward, and some good wingers (not Ronaldo class, but when you can sneak in free headers at the back post you don't need to be).

My full backs get forward a lot, giving extra options out wide, to compensate both my CMs tend to sit back giving more defensive solidity.

I looked at a 4-2-3-1 with the defenders and CMs being defensive only and having four attackers. I didn't score much, but on the other hand I went to Roma with Parma and got a deserved 1-1 draw.

Thats your problem right there, pick a tactic which best suits your players and STICK WITH IT! :)

Doesn't always work, mate.I've done that many times and the losing form goes on..and on..and on. Its about how you set the tactic up imo, not the tactic itsself.(the formation yous ee on the screen i mean)

Hi, i played as cardiff for a season (finished 3rd and lost in playoffs) before moving elsewhere. I just played a standard 4-4-2 with 1 midfielder on defensive duty and the other box 2 box support. 2 wide midfielders on attack. Full backs on auto so they adjust to how you change your mentality. 1 forward as target man support (bothroyd), other as advanced fwd or poacher (depending on who it is - chopper is a poacher).

Short passing, average width, slow tempo.

I found Cardiff were good enough to beat most teams in the league home and away with this formation. You might have to be a bit more cunning away from home against the stronger teams, but that is a good base.

Archived