Sink or Swim in the Premiership

Leo30

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for support Spav, hope you enjoy the reading

The fans are yelling, as the mighty reds come to town. I felt that I had got my feet under the table and was confident that we were not getting thrashed this season, the team was stable and morale seemed fairly high.

I made just one change to the team that defeated Wigan Hoult going in goal with Kirkland inelgible.

A goal by Peter Crouch on 8 minutes was the difference and although we lacked the finishing touch I still felt that it was a good performance. One day we will beat a big team, but as long as we beat the other teams around us we were sure to be safe.

Final score WBA 0 Liverpool 1

Theres a knock on the door.

"Come in"

In barges Kanu. "When am I going to get my chance? I am so fed up being in the reserves week in week out, I'm better than that"

"Hang on Hang on, get off your high horse. You have been playing in the reserves as I felt that you were not motivated enough, it was a kick up the back side, which I felt that you needed. The deal with Sochaux has fell through and I felt that was playing on your mind as well. You will get your chance you need to prove the back room staff and me of course that you are worthy of a place in the starting 11."

"I'm cheesed off, one minute I'm playing for the Champions the next I'm playing for a team fighting for survival and I aint even in the team"

"Yeah but you aint at Arsenal no more, forget it thats in the past, you need to think about now, and failure pick your socks up will result in you staying in there, right is that it, I;ve got other things to get on with"

"Visitor to see you Lee"

"Ok, send them through"

Ibaham Sissoka a young 17 year old Mali lad who was in our U18 team came in.

"How hows you, sorry aint seen alot of you, hows things going, settling in?"

"That's what I've come to see you about Sir"

"What's the problem young un?"

"I've got loads of things happening at home and I can't concentrate I'm not playing well and wondered...."

"You wanna go back home, take a month off, get your head round things, come back and we'll take it from there. Your home life and family come before football, and that includes me"

I had got a gentle touch, I appreciated young talent, and supported them as much as possible, it must be difficult 17 and away from home.

I walk out across the car park after another stressful day at the office.

"Can I have a word" Thomas Kuszczak shouts across the car park.

"Yeah what you want, can't stay long the other half is waiting to go out, don't wanna be in the bad books...again"

"Just wondered when you were going to consider me ready for first team action.. Thought I may have been in a shout the other day as Chris Kirkland was unavailable, instead you picked Russel."

"Look Thomas I'm still finding my feet, I need more time, I don't know whether I've found the strongest team, hence I change it, but look I do what I think best. I pick the team and I think I pick the strongest team available, so you will get your chance when I think your ready. Obviously at the moment I think the other 2 are front runners for the Number 1 Jersey, you will have to wait.

Thomas storms off, he obviously isn't happy, I personally think a few months out on loan might be benefical for him. We will have to wait and see. 3 players today have been to see me as they aren't happy and I thought the ship was sailing smoothly. How wrong can you be??

"Hi Honey I'm home"

"Hello dear good day at work?"

"Busy stressful, tiringtesting and tiring"

"Don't forget we're going round Bryan and Sandra's"

"Yeah I know I'll go upstairs and get washed and changed. Hope there's something nice to eat I'm starving"

"Bet, you haven't had anything all day again, since you took the job you haven't eaten properly, you should look after yourself more"

We arrive at the Robson's household and Bryan comes to the door. "Come in Sandra's in the kitchen, Andy and Abby (Johnson) are here as well" I hope for mine and Jess' sake it wasn't a night where we solely talked football.

"Where you going on holiday Sandra?" Abby enquired.

"Well now Bryan aint working we can go more or less anywhere, the kids are older and can look after themselves"

"What about you Jess?"

Jess paused..."Well can't go far due to Lee's work committments will have to work around football, its not a major problem"

"Been there and done that" Bryan replied.

"Yeah its not as bad as it used to be, Bryan spent to much time there, it was making him bad"

"I know I keep telling him to look after himself but he says he's too busy" Jess explains.

Bryan looks at me "Look Leo don't fall into the trap just do what you have to do, don't let the Baggies take your life over, you need the people you love around you your life doesn't revolve around the Hawthorns and thats from experience and from a friend to a friend"

Andy nods "Have to agree you have been working your socks off the last couple of weeks to get somewhere let them other guys do something, all we see them do is sit on their backside all the day, your the one running round like a headless chicken"

"Thanks guys for the advice, will take your comments on board, I just want to do well, I have a hard act to follow, now can we drop the topic of football, its not fair on the girls"

The evening went well, we used to meet up on a regular basis but due to work committments and the change in circumstances it was more difficult. It was the first time in ages that me and Bryan had actually had more than a 2 minute conversation and I was nervous about going, but everything was ok. Our friendship was still strong, I could tell that he was eager to return to football and that he had itchy feet instead of doing a few Sky Sports commentary every other week. I knew it wouldn't be long before he returned, but with who, would he be my arch rival?

Sunday 11th September 2005

"Welcome to the Hawthorns for today's Premiership match between West Brom and Tottenham. Lee Allen's men currently lie in 13th place 4 places below today's opponents. Th eatmosphere is already electric and I can't wait to see this match, it promises to be a game of entertainment with two different types of play being shown today. Allen's men will be looking to get back to winning ways quickly following the recent loss against Liverpool and Joll's men are currently unbeaten in 3. My prediction is an away win 2-0 to the Spures. This is Ally Mccoist on Sport on Sunday, back to the studio.

I always watch the TV before the game in the dressing room and always in a way hope that the pundits slate us, it gives the players the opportunity of having their feathers ruffled and going out and proving a point.

Only 1 change to the lineup with Kirkland back in the team.

1-0

Ellington breaks his Hawthorns goal drought of 4 matches to net a wonderful strike on 21 minutes.

2-0

Richardson back on the score sheet for the Baggies with a clever chip just inside the area. The Albion are cruising

HALF TIME WEST BROM 2 TOTTENHAM 0

CLEMENT SENT OFF 53 MINUTES PROFESSIONAL FOUL

Final Score West Brom 2 Tottenham 0

MOTM - Richardson (10)

Attendance 29, 504

"Excellent result, that win pushes us up to 8th, would be good if we could hang around in this position or higher."

CLEMENT BANNED FOR 1 MATCH

Lee Allen's appeal to the FA was turned down and Club Captain Neil Clement will miss next week's derby against Aston Villa at Villa Park. Speculation amongst the Baggies faithful is that the captains armband will be passed the Chris Kirkland.

Sunday 18th September 2005

Venue: Villa Park

Aston Villa V West Brom

Live on BBC (Another Live game)

A local derby my first in my short tiring managerial career. Villa were the strongest team in the Midlands for so long and were now being challenged by Birmingham, the boys from the Black Country Wolves and ourselves were always behind them. This year was so far no different, Birmingham 6th, Villa 9th, West Brom 10th. Wolves were low down in the Championship after a poor start to the season. There were 5 teams strolling in front of the Premiership and all of them big teams, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton were causing quite a stir as well. At the bottom Charlton, West Ham and Blackburn were struggling and had not won a game in the first 5 played.

The lads did not need to be told the importance of this game. Midlands pride was at stake. They all loved derby games, I found this one daunting the crowd were again wild. The claret and blue scarves being waved in front of the team coach as we pull up outside the ground.

The team had been named before we left the Hawthorns.

Kirkland, Albrechsten, Robinson (capt), Gaardsoe, Scimeca,

Albion forced to change with Elington picking up a slight knock, earnshaw is given the chance to shine and prove that he should be in the starting 11. Villa have the majority of the play until a cross from Richardson is met by the flying Jap Inamoto to net his first goal for West Brom, the fans are wild.

32 minuts a Richardson corner is struck into the beack of the net by Kamara 2-0 to the Baggies and they are flying.

Steve Dunn blows his whistle for the end of the first half and despite Villa's domination they find themselves 2 goals behind. Villa have had 11 shots compared to the Baggies 4. The shots West Brom have had have ended up in the back of the net. Kirkland, Richardson and Gaardsoe have been outstanding so far.

Villa continue to dominate the second half with the Baggies penned into their own half. Villa manage 20 shots at Chris Kirkland compared to the Baggies 6 shots on goal. David O'Leary is devasted by this result compared to my reaction of "I want a performance like this every week, you have done yourselves proud, go out and celebrate tonight. The win seess us move up 2 places in the table above Villa.

On the way home Nigel reaches across and mummbles "Richardson is outstanding, man of the match today, what a star, think we should sign him if we can, he has such a good future ahead of him"

"Yeah, I know but dont think Man Utd will release him, as he's just getting valuable first team footie here, I'll try but won't hold my breath." My mobile go's "Excuse me Nigel, its Jeremy. "Hi Lee, good game the Board would like to congratulate you on your fine start to the season, beating the Villa is of great importance to those associated with West Brom and they will be able to hold their heads up with pride tomorrow at work, keep up the good work"

He was right the fans could go to work tomorrow feeling proud to be a West Brom fan, however a bad run and we would be back amongst the relegation dog fight.

West Brom face high flying Championship side in the League Cup Second Round tonight. Lee Allen would have been hoping for an easier passage into the Third round as Leicester are currently on a 5 match unbeaten run lying 4th in the Championship. Lee Allen spoke to reporters this morning "In a way I wish we were the underdogs, this is my first cup match here and I obviously want to win. Our best chance of glory this year is in the cup in particular the League Cup as some teams will not be playing their strongest team. I will be. The further we go in the competition the more money is available in January for the transfer window."

Morale was high in the West Brom dressing room and the same team that faced Villa strolls onto the pitch.

Right in the stroke of half time , Kamara drops to his feet following an awful challenge, it results in no option than to take him off and replace him with Earnshaw. Inamoto is not having the best of games and he makes way for Darren Carter.

Leicester are no push overs and the score remained at 0-0 until the 64th minute when Gera thumps home a 30 yard trademark strike. Theres distance now between the two sides and West Brom have come out in the second half more confident.

It wasn't long before Earnshaw stakes his claim for a first team place and Ellington capitalises on an error to make it 3-0. 3 goals in 7 minutes and its game over. A consolation goal by De Vires was scored in stoppage time which puts a little bit of a damper on the score line but none the less round 3 here we come.

News round up

Wigan and Charlton fall at their first hurdle in the League cup to lower opposition. (Southampton and Millwall respectively). Northampton are now the sole survivors for round 3 having dispatched of Bristol City 2-1 away from home.

Big wins 6-0 for Spurs against Ipswich and Sunderland were 3-0 winners against QPR. Villa struggled against Norwich and Birmingham progressed at the expense of Luton. Wolves see of Oldham 2-0 away from home.

Nick Worth (Physio) reports that Kamara has damaged his foot and will be out for between 2-4 weeks.

U18 striker Rob Elvins who is yet to make a first team appearance moves to Yeovil for 3 months on loan. "It will give the lad valuable experience, let him get some competitive games under his belt, he still has 20 plus months on his contract here"

Friday 23rd September

Ibrahim Sissoo arrives back at the Hawthorns following his 1 months leave of absence. He knock on the office door. "Come in"

"Hi boss, I'm back"

"Yeah, can see that, how you feeling, any better?"

"I'm fine my homesickness has gone and I can't wait to get back into the team"

"Ok, get yourself back into routine, lets hope everything will be fine"

League Cup 3rd round draw

Highlights:

Bolton V Northampton

Birmingham V Middlesborough

Sheff Wed V Man Utd

Arsenal V Bournemouth

Villa V Everton

Sunderland V Newcastle

Reading V Chelsea

Liverpool V Millwall

West Brom V Derby (another East Midlands team)

West Ham V Fulham

Portsmouth V Wolves

Spurs V Man City

Blackburn V Southampton

Theres a few potential upsets on the cards in particular the Southampton Blackburn game. At least we manage to avoid an all Premiership tie.

Saturday 24th September 2005

Home V Middlesborough

Steve Mclaren's Middlesborough arrived at the Hawthorns in 17th position. A position that really surprised me.

"Look lads, they are in deep trouble they were expected to do well. They are in Europe and maybe thinking about that, so lets give them something else to think about. You've played exceptionally well the last couple of weeks, keep it up, don't let me down."

Kamara's injury forces me to bring Earnshaw into the starting line up, his first full start of the season and Kevin Campbell moves up to the bench. I also give Carter a chance in the starting line up as he impressed, Inamoto moving to the bench.

Middlesborough had spent 8.5 million on bringing players into their squad this seasonc compared to my 1.8 million. They had more money to splash out but this was a game that we were capable of winning, although the bookies didn't think so.

Dermot Gallagher gets the game under way and Mclaren is already on his players back "Don't give him that much room, he shouldn't walk past you like that" Hes angry and not pleased with his teams performance.

On display was Mclarens shouting tactics continually throughout the first half compared to my more relaxed approach. I save my talking till in the dressing room at half time. "You have got them riled, Mclaren is angry, just put the god dam ball in the back of the net, its an average performance, not one of you setting the world on fire, come on show me what you are made up, you won't have another chance like this to beat these guys, get stuck in straight away don't let them have a sniff of the ball"

We kick off the second half passing the ball smoothly. not giving much away, but Middlesborough seem to have some fight in themselves. Neither side could put the ball in the back of the net. And a dissapointing performance was made by both sides.

Elsewhere in the Premiership Chelsea brush aside struggling Wigan. Liverpool knock 6 past bottom of the table Charlton, and Man Utd score 3 against Villa. We remain in 8th place 7 points above the drop zone.

27th September 2005 (Tuesday)

I stare across the pitch, the stands empty no noise, so peaceful and look back against the previous games when the stands have been rammed fall over 30,000 people for the last home game. The fans are happy on how the season has started and a few are starting to appreicate the way the team is playing, however theres still a few who are waiting to see the impact, yes we are on a decent run, however things and fans can turn around quickly.

I go home and Jess has prepared the tea "Suppose your gonna watch the footie on the tele tonight, don't you get fed up with it"

"Its my job dear, it pays the bills don't it"

"Yeah but you don't have to breath football every second of the day, who's playing anyway?

"Your man is on the tele, against Rosenborg"

"Oh, I might watch it, hes so cute"

"Just like me you mean"

She chuckles "I'm definitely coming when you play them at home, I bet you he buys me a drink"

Chelsea stroll past Rosenberg but are rocked by bad news that Hernan Crespo will be out for the season with damaged cruciate ligaments, still I don't think it will have much impact on their Premiership hopes with the depth of that squad.

Our injuries are nothing compared to Sunderland who have a massive 7 players out.

Saturday 1st October 2005 - Richardson Baggies Star

Kieron Richardson has won the English Premier Division Player of the month award beating John Terry and Wayne Rooney to the trophy.

Manager of the month goes to Chelea's Kpse Mourinho with Sir Alex picking up the runners up prize.

Article from the Daily Mirror

West Brom boss is delighted with the start of his premiership campaign and was reluctant to single out any player, however the performances of Kieron Richardson can not go un-noticed. The lad is a genius, I am so proud he has returned to us he has made a huge difference and confidence is high we will got to Blackburn with every chance of picking some valuable points up, if you would have said to me at the start of the season, that we would be higher up the table than Blackburn then I would have laughed, but look at it, its true and we are playing like we derserve we should be there"

We have huge depth in our squad and some players are getting frustrated at their lack of first team action (a possible attack on Andy Johnson who was complaining in rival paper the sun). All players will be given their chance when I see fit, some people are not happy and thats that, if they continue to be unhappy and start to rock the boat then they will have to go. I'm not being dictacted to nobody is bigger than the club"

Snip from Sunday 2nd October 2005 News of the World

Earnie earns 3 points for Baggies

Albion striker netted a hat-trick to sink Blackburn at Ewood Park. Goals on 14, 29 and 90 minutes were the reason why the 3 points made their way back to the Black Country. Blackburn had more chances however it was the accuracy of the Albion players that made the difference. Albion manager Lee Allen was ecstactic after the game commenting that he always knew that the points were there for the taking. A disgruntled Mark Hughes slammed his players "When you play like that you deserve to get beat, we were thrashed, they were up for it, we weren't, I can't see them being at the bottom at the end of the season, they have gelled well together and Lee should be pleased with the way the team is working"

A fax lands on my desk, its from the Baggies website. It reads (in brief)

"We are pleased at the huge progress that the team has made since your appointment, to look at the league table makes us so proud. 8 games have gone and we have already rattled 14 points which is pleasing, we normally struggle to reach 20 before Christmas, I hope we continue to perform and all I can add is sign Richardson now....."

I call Joy into the office "Do a response to this for me will you, something like

I agree to see ourselves 6 points from the top is unbelivable, 10 points above the drop zone is comfortable at the moment and I will be looking to make this more before the festive period. We still have hard games to come, in fact all games are hard and as we are on a run, teams will be looking to stop us in our tracks. Keep up the good work, and lets hope we will still be celebrating at the end of the season.

We lie top of the Midlands battle with Blues in 9th and Villa 11th elsewhere around the area Wolves remain in 17th. Walsall just outside play offs in League 1 (8th)

International Round Up - 8th October 2005

World Cup

England brush aside Austria 5-1 in Group 6 even after having Ashley Cole sent off at half time. The other tie in the group sees Northern Ireland hold Wales to a 1-1 draw Robbie Earnshaw on teh score sheet again. England top the group with Poland 2nd and with it all to play with.

Scotland defeat Belarus in Group 5.

Holland qualify unbeaten in Group 1.

Ukraine, Denmark and Turkey can still qualify in Grp 2

Its Portugal or Russia from Group 3. Possible Russia as Portugal were held by Liechtenstein 1-1

France looked to have pipped the Irish in Group 4 Ireland needing a point from their last game to finish runners up.

Wales finish with the wooden spoon in Group 6 failing to win any of the 9 games played so far.

Spain qualify in Group 7

Croatia or Sweden can qualify from Group 9

Chris Kirkland remains on the bench for England and it won't be long till he dislodges Paul Robinson as England Number 1

World Cup International Round Up.

England top the group with a convincing 3-0 win over runners up Poland. Kirkland again on the bench. Although other Baggies 1st team goalie Tomasz Kuszczak starts for Poland.

Wales thrash Azerbaijan to register their only win on the campaign. A whopping 7-0 score line with Robert Earnshaw again finding the net.

Dean Shiels came on as a second half sub as Northern Ireland defeated Austria.

Holland, Denmark, Portugal, France, Italy, England, Spain, Croatia top their respective groups and are joined in the finals by Poland and Sweden. Slovenia play Ukraine, Serbia play Russia and the Czech Republic host Ireland in the play offs.

Darren Moore played for Jamaica who fail to make the finals. USA, Honduras, Mexico go through from the Northern American Section

HOME V Man City Sunday 16th October 2005 - Live on Sky Sports Extra

An unchanged side face 14th placed Man City at the Hawthorns.

Robbie Fowler nets the opening goal on 13minutes for City. This goal seperating the team at the end of 45 minutes.

The lead extends to 2-0 when Sibierski heds a close range header past Kirkland.

Final Score WBA 0 Man City 2.

"The run has come to an end, it was bound to happen some day, its our first defeat in 5 so that can't be to bad, we are disappointed we didn't play well, but you can't win them all, the most important thing to do is to pull our socks up and get 3 points at the next game, we are still in the top half of the table and that says something"

Away V Newcastle 22nd October 2005

Geordie Land was the next visit - St James' Park to be precise to meet up with Grahame Souness and the boys. Souness had already slammed my team in the media stating that we were no where near a top half team and that it wouldn't be long before we shot down the table.

I look at their team sheet Owen up front and Shearer on the bench what a strike force.

The first couple of minutes of the game I immediately got the impression that we would get slaughtered the ball constantly being hit into our penalty area.

However Mudingayi converts a controversial penalty. Unlucky Thomas Gaardsoe puts the ball into his own net and the score is 1-1 at half time. "Come on lads, your doing well, if nothing else hold on, this is a valuable point and a point we wouldn't have thought we could get. There's 50,000 people out there go and prove them wrong."

The second half sees a change of affairs. I sit back in amazement as Ellington notches 2 goals and Earnshaw gets another. 4-1 up 20 minutes left. I lean to Nigel "pinch me is this happening?" He laughs.

I sit back and relax. My relaxation turns to horror as that 3 goal lead slowly but surely is wiped out. Shearer off the bench scores 2 classic goals and a Luque strike on 85 minutes brings the 8 goal thriller to an end.

Thanks axeman was beginning to wonder if anyone bothers to read your efforts. Thanks for support icon_smile.gif

League Cup Round Up Wednesday 26th October 2005

Championship side Derby could not stop Lee Allen's West Brom progressing to the 4th round. Goals in either side of the half by deadly strike force Ellington & Earnshaw was enough for the Baggies to keep their name in the hat.

2 Premiership sides fall to lower league clubs

Southampton defeat Blackburn and Wolves defeat Portsmouth to enter the last 16.

29th October 4th Round League Cup Draw

Wolves V Man City

Man Utd V Bolton

Southampton V Burnley

West Ham V Liverpool

Villa V Preston

Birmingham V Stoke

Chelsea V Sunderland

that leaves us playing Arsenal, the only consolation at home.

If we get past this hurdle then we must be in with some kind of chance. If only we could have had an easier draw. Could this be the end of the cup run. We would have to wait until the end of November to find out.

29th October Home V Fulham

Chris Coleman brings his merry boys to the Hawthorns. Fulham are one of the teams that I thought we were capable of matching. I would be gutted if we threw away 3 points to the Londoners.

Nathan Ellington notches a further 2 goals to his tally to make it 7 goals in 13 appearances. These were however cancelled out by John Collins and Melbranque. A 2-2 score line reflects a decent game. I was dissapointed that we gave away another late goal but 1 point to the tally to now make it 16 points, a massive 10 points off the lead but the more important thing it was 10 points from relegation.

Kieran Richardson scoops another award in October for young player of the month. Richardson reported to the Express & Star this evening that he must thank the people and fans of West Brom for making life at West Brom enjoyable during his loan spell. Fans are anxious that Richardson will be leaving the Albion without manager Lee Allen attempting to bring the player to the Hawthorns. The stumbling block would be trying to get the player to leave Manchester and also affording the increasing value that Sir Alex has placed on the player.

Man Utd top the Premiership by 4 points from Arsenal and Chelsea. West Ham, Sunderland and Wigan occupy the relegation positions and it looks to be a long season for them.

Thanks for support, its what keeps you going icon_smile.gif

A trip to Merseyside and Goodison Park is our next challenge. Everton were up there with the leaders and were looking to get closer and chip away at the lead Sir Alex and his men had established.

Naming an unchanged side I felt that we would do well to come away with anything. Obviously I didn't tell the lads that. I made the decision to move Kanu up to the bench as Inamoto had a slight knock.

The first half sees Everton passing the ball around nicely and Beattie is their main threat we just plod through midfield creating the odd chance but nothing sensational.

Half time arrives quickly and the deadlock has not been broken. Walking into the dressing room, Kanu is behind me "give me a chance boss, I'm ready for this, I'll prove that I'm worth my stay here" "Ok, get yourself warmed up". Earnshaw hadn't been having the best of games and I had nothing to lose by placing Kanu up front with Ellington.

It wasn't long before Everton took the lead Vaughan heding the ball past the stranded Kirkland and it wasn't long before the scoreline was changed to 2-0. I look at the scoreboard and nod. It was always going to be difficult to get anything out the game.

Final Score Everton 2 West Brom 0

"Look lads don't get to disheartened we will never win them all, they were better on the day, better organised, we have a couple of hard games coming up, we need to get something out of them, to keep up this good start, make sure your heads don't drop"

Thanks for support and glad your enjoying it. I'm loving the challenge!

We have a rest for 2 weeks before we face the challenge of Sam Allardyce and his Bolton Wanderers. They lie 1 place above us in the league with a better goal difference.

"Come in, oh Jeromy so pleased to see you, hows things"

"Ok, great in fact and you?"

"Yeah not to bad, what can I do for you, you don't normally hang around here this late"

"Just come out Board Meeting, they've been discussing finances, and they're a bit concerned about the wage bill"

"Oh right, wondered when this one was coming, so what you want me to do?"

"Well obviously cut it, which ever way you can, we need to meet the wage budget"

"But..."

"Theres no buts, just be on the right side of them guys, I appreciate your doing well in the league but its important to keep within the budget, remember it's not your money"

"Yeah but"

"No but"

We were £26,000 per week over the wage budget and £1m in the red. The finances needed to be sorted and quick.

Saturday 12th November

Joy brings in the post. Think you need to read the top one Lee. Joy always opens the post it and uses her knowledge to acknowledge certain items of correspondence but this one she couldn't deal with.

Dear Mr Allen

I am writing to you to request that you place me on the transfer market. Since your introduction at West Bromwich I have been placed in the reserve line up and have not been considered for any first team action. I feel that I have the capability of performing in the Premiership and would like to obtain regular first team football, which is not the case here at the moment.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours in anticipation.

Lloyd Dyer

The request was granted here was one way of saving some monies. Lloyd had potential but the squad was to big and I needed money going into the account. I call him into the office

"Look Lloyd, I'm sorry you've been kept in the stiffs but we are performing well, you could make it in the Premiership, I'm not going to argue about that, but your obviously not in my top 11 or even top 16 at the moment, I understand that you are frustrated, so I have granted your request, my fingers are crossed for you bud, you have potential and will be a good buy should a club be interested."

I shake his hand, "Good luck, be don't forget, your still a West Brom player"

It was expected to be a close match against Bolton, but we were not going to give in easy. A goal on 17 minutes by Kevin Nolan put the visitors 1-0 up, we lacked passion and confidence and didn't look like scoring. Going into the dressing room 1 goal behind was a reasonable acheivement and I would have taken that at the start of the season.

"Right come on pull your fingers out, your hopeless up front, dodgy at the back and a waste of space in the middle, go get a result and nothing less, its a chance to move up the table, don't let it slip you by" Greening had picked up a slight knock, so I move Scimeca onto the right wing, and bring Davies on into the centre of defence. Wallwork had been itchy to get on the pitch and I had no hesitation in bringing Kamara off for him. What a change it turned out to be.

We looked more confident and Wallwork saw lots of the ball more than Kamara. An equaliser was due and it came on the 62nd minute. Now it was all guns out going for the win, unfortunately we couldn't get the ball in the net one more time but the result was a fair one, a game of two halfs.

We remain in 8th position and few people would have predicted that.

Theres good news for the youngsters, Darren Carter has helped the English U21 team qualify in Euro Championship and Richard Chaplow is performing well every week in the reserves, he must be pushing for a place soon.

Next match to Highbury to face Arsenal, Wenger's lads are 10 points of the pace being set by Man Utd but have 2 games in hand, they will think we will be a pushover. But this will really prove how far we have come. Hope to keep the score low, and the bookies feel that we don't have a chance, who can blame them, Wenger has money, a big squad and loads of experience to call from. We will be out to get you mate, don't you worry.

I drop Earnshaw to the bench and decide to bring Kanu into the starting line up. I feel he may be up for the challenge of playing against his old club, the reception he gets is unbelievable, lets hope he gives a decent game.

I'm forced to make an early change as Albrechsten signals to the bench that he cant continue, Smimeca moves to rightback and Davies comes on. Davies is soon called into action but makes a decisive challenge. Arsenal are all over us, but who cares they haven't got past Kirkland yet. The whistle goes for half time 0-0, I'll take this result.

We walk into the dressing room and I usher the lads to be quiet, Now Listen. "What the hell do you think your playing out, we must beat this lot, they can't leave here with anything, 3 points or nothing else, a draw is no good, go stuff them, they haven't got a clue yet there holding us, your paid enough to see them off, so go and do it, you lot are a waste of space."

Wenger could be heard from our dressing room, he was spitting feathers I did not have to say a word to my players they were already fired up for this clash never mind being slandered by the opposition's manager.

During the second half Kirkland and Kanu pick up slight knocks and we only need to hold on for 10 minutes I send Earnshaw and Kuszczak on to try and hold the fort. Can we pick a valuable point up.....

The score remains 0-0 and I'm really pleased Davies puts in a good performance and must be considered ready for a permanent start in the line up. We only have to face Arsenal again in a couple of days time, this time at Home in the league cup.

They won't be looking forward to that.

LEAGUE CUP 4TH ROUND V ARSENAL AT HOME

Albrechsten and Kirkland are injured so changes have to be made. I feel it is a weaker side but it's the cup.

Wenger will be out to beat us, that was going to be obvious, but he was not happy when Elligton puts us infront after only 5 minutes, if only we could have held on to this lead until the break. The deadly but ageing Dennis Berkamp scoring as the whistle is blown for the end of the first 45 minutes.

I am pleased and Richardson is putting in another great display, just wish we could get him on a permanent contract.

The albion fans are on their feets waiting for the final whistle as Greening scores to put the Baggies 2-1 up after 70 minutes. Extradinary Kamara makes it 3-1 after 85 minutes and its game over.

I go over to Arsene to shake his hand, but he doesn't acknowledge me, I know that he fielded a weaker team, but that was his choice, I'm so glad we are in the next round, more money into the club to keep the Board quiet.

We go into December in 9th place. 18 points off the top of the table and 6 points from the relegation zone. Man Utd were unbeaten and romping away from the chasing pack. Sunderland and West Ham were struggling with the other relegation place being occupied by Middlesborough.

Matches against Birmingham, West Ham, Portsmouth, Charlton and Man Utd would make or break the season. We needed to win a few of these and they were against teams who we were capable of beating.

Wrexham have an offer for Albion player Rob Davies accepted so he returns to the racecourse ground for a 3 month loan stint. The 18 year old admitting he still had a soft spot for the Wrexham fans. It will be ideal for him to get experience under his belt and things would be limited at the Baggies especially as they were doing so well....at the moment.

The draw for the Quarter Final of the League Cup could not have been any worse for us. We have to face the Red Devils at Old Trafford, so we will have to do it the hard way. Fingers Crossed they play a weaker side as well, especially with them being so far in front in the Premiership.

Derby Blues for Birmingham

Birmingham City manager congratulated West Bromwich Albion on their fine performance following todays games at the Hawthorns.

David Dunn put the visitors ahead followinga corner in the 17th minute. However the goal spured the Home side on and two defensive errors enabled Nathan Ellington to score his 7th and 8th Premiership goal this season. The rout was finished when young Darren Carter slotted home a 76th minute penalty against his old club.

"They were up for this match and Lee Allen has done a wonderful job since his appointment at the beginning of the season, I need to pick my players up and get them back to winning ways as soon as possible."

The win puts West Brom in 8th position with Birmingham in 13th. Albion now face West Ham away in a game that should see another 3 points on their way back to the Midlands.

News Update - 5th December 2005

Bristol City travel to the Hawthorns in the FA Cup 3rd Round.

Young 18year old full back Lee Baker faces a lenghty 7-9 months on the sidelines after a horendous injury was obtained during training.

Saurday 10th December 2005

Away V West Ham

35,540 people turned out to watch this match on a bitterly cold december day. It was a game that I felt comfortable the Baggies would collect 3 points from especially as the Hammers were struggling in the relegation zone. How wrong was I. Kamara nets his 4th premiership goal to put is 1-0 up but that was soon wiped clear with Zamora netting his 5th goal of the season.

Things were equal until Sheringham steals the points on the 86th minute for West Ham. We leave with nothing.

I'm obviously disapointed but we still manage to hold on to a top half position. West Ham remain in 19th with Sunderland 5 points from safety.

I just hope that this is not the start of a bad run. Next up Portsmouth who are 8th visit the Hawthorns.

Portsmouth visit the Hawthorns level on points but with a slightly better goal difference. Confidence was low in the Baggies side and there was a couple of changes to the midfield. Richardson brought in in place of Carter and Wallwork replacing Inamoto.

Horror strikes as soon as kick off takes place. I hadn't had chance to sit down in the dug out when a cheer gos up. I look around and Portsmouth fans are celebrating I turn behind me "What the hell's gone on?" Vukic had put the visitors 1-0 up after 25 seconds. I managed to compose myself just before we let in another goal. This time Mbesuma scores for them 25 minutes. We never looked like threatening I through on Shiels and Earnshaw in a bid to spice up the front line but to no avail. Final score Baggies 0 Portsmouth 2. We drop a place to 10th.

We travel next to Old Trafford in the Quarter Final of the League Cup, I have a problem do I pick my strongest team to win and aim to go further or do I rest my star players in a bid to have them fit to maintain our position in the Premiership.

One bit of good news filters through with Albrechsten returing to full training following his injury. He must be in contention to return to the squad straight away.

"Its Bryan for you Lee"

"Ok Joy put him through"

"Hi Bryan how you doing mate, long time no speak we've both been really busy and haven't had chance to catch up we should do it in the New Year"

"Well Leo, might be a bit difficult, I've just accepted a new job" I jump in

"What doing?"

"Management you daft clown, Norwich have asked me to join them, and I have accepted. I feel better and will find it a different type of challenge to that at West Brom."

"Well suppose so, so you looked at houses and schools and everything"

"Yeah thats all sorted, just got to get the removal men to give us a a date then we be off. Who knows maybe playing each other next year"

"Could be, lets hope you get promoted then, coz we aint going down"

Norwich were 5 points from the playoffs so it could be a possibility. I feel pleased for Bryan something going right for him, and I feel less guilty for pinching his job at the Hawthorns.

Old Trafford League Cup Quarter Final

A whopping crowd of 67,000 turned up to see this match, I had decided to field my strongest side although was tempted to rest several key players. Man Utd played with a mixed team, a team that contained experience as well as youth.

Louis Saha opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a carefully placed chip, this was soon wiped out on the 20th minute by Kamara. We were matching Man Utd pass for pass, and I was pleased. Wallwork scores a wonderful goal that will be played time after time, to make us 2-1 up. going into the break.

Sir Alex didn't look worried but made several changes and I think to myself "I've got you now mate". He brings Rossi on and the game changed within 35 seconds of him coming on it was 2-2. We then fought to the end and a glitch in concentration let Alan Smith through to finish the tie 3-2 to the Reds.

A dissapointing result so near yet so far, but it was an improved performance. We did well and the money will come in useful.

A boxing day trip to Charlton was next on the agenda.

The crowd of 27,107 taking a break from the turkey sandwiches looking for a decent game of football, that is what they got but not from the Albion.

Kamara added 2 more goals to his tally, hes currently on form at the moment, but it was not enough to get the 3 points as Charlton scored 3. Bent (2) and Ambrose.

Its another late goal that does the damage and I need to look at ways in which to stop these.

We are still 7 points from the drop zone a better situation than what we were in last year.

We have to travel to Old Trafford again this time in the league I hope that we can get something from the game, deep down I know it is not a possibility as Man Utd are 4 points clear at the top.

Archived