Sink or Swim in the Premiership

Leo30

West Brom were struggling, everybody knew that and nothing less than a good performance against their local rivals Aston Villa would satisfy the Baggies faithfull.

David O'Leary had already lay down teh gauntlet in the pre-match press conference commenting that I would have to perform major miracles if West Brom were to repeat last seasons survival heroics. I refused to comment about the team's chances chosing to remain silent and remain focused in a bid to gain some much needed success.

The police were unhappy with O'Leary's statement commenting that he had 'wound up' the Baggies fans.

Press Release

Ronnie Wallwork secured West Brom's first win in 12 games to finally put a sile on manager's Lee Allen's face.

Baggies had decided to rest Kuszczak and give old faithful Russell Holt a chance in between the posts.

The change did not prevent Villa from taking a 10 minute lead, however second half goals from Greening and Wallwork ensured the points remained in the Black Country rather than to Birmingham.

Lee Allen addded "This was a big game for both sides who are desperately in need of ppoints. It was a good win for us although it shouldn't have taken 12 matches to get one. Some of the performances have been good we have just failed to convert our chances. It is always nice to win a Midlands derby and its even better when their manager is so confident. We still have to perform like this every week to get out of trouble as we are still in the relegation zone, but I'm pleased with the three points today. We deserve them.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal 4 West Brom 1

West Brom travelled to the capital to face Wenger's title hunters. I decided to stick with the same team as last week.

Robbie Earnshaw sent the away fans into ruptures as Albion took a surpise early lead. However this lead was to only last a couple of minutes when Ljunberg equalised for the home side. A further 3 goals for the Gunners from Silva, Hleb and a Darren Moore own goal ensured that their was no shock result.

I was not surprised by the result and commented to the press "To pick anything up from the Emirates Stadium is hard. We played reasonably well I am a little disappointed that we could not hold onto the lead for a little longer but Arsenal just keep coming at you theres no relaxing"

Wenger commented "West Brom are one of those teams that you don't know what to expect from, they took their goal well but we replied almost immediately and that changed the game."

League Cup 2nd Round V Blackpool

West Brom faced a tricky trip to Bloomfield Road to face highflying Championship side Blackpool. Pundits thought we would be on our way out as Blackpool were on a run and we were struggling.

Darren Carter picked up Earnshaw with a lovely pass to send him clear as West Brom take an 11th minute lead.

It should have been 2-0 when Earnshaw nets another on 30 minutes again Carter providing space but the goal was disallowed.

West Brom do score their second on 73 minutes when Francis Jeffers hits them on the break. Mane's shot rebounded to Jeffers' feet and its an easy kick in.

Four minutes later and Jeffers nets his second and Albion's third. Greening floats the ball in from the right. Jeffers wins the aerial battle and the goalie is nowhere to be found.

West Brom are drawn at home to play Sunderland in the third round.

West Brom V Everton (23rd September 2006)

Lee Allen's West Brom face 4th placed Everton at the Hawthorns, this was Allen's 3rd match against the Toffee's losing the previous 2 3-1 on both occassions.

Tony Hibbert was sent off on 31 minutes for Everton however we could not capitalize with extra man and the 10 men Evertonians steal the 3 points with an 80th minute goal.

I was gutted and made my feelings known when I locked the team in the dressing room and gave them a real dressign down. This latest set back keeps us in 19th 2 points away from safety.

Joy hands me a note that was left in the post tray its from Russell Holt.

Just a quick note to say thanks for giving me a chance over the last couple of weeks, I have enjoyed them and hope that I have not let anybody down. I just hope that I have done enough to keep my name on your team sheet.

I know that I have asked to be placed on the transfer list, however I have considered my options and would like you to consider removing me from the list. I have enjoyed the last couple of weeks and still feel that my heart is in West Brom.

I ask Joy to contact Russell on his mobile.

"Hi Russell, Mr Allen would like a word with you, just putting you through"

"Russell, just got your letter, haven't you got the courage to come and talk to me about things like this. I am here to support everybody"

"Sorry boss, but I have been busy and have a few problems at home I need to deal with"

"Is everything ok? Is there anything I can help you with?

"No, I can handle it, but please can I come off the list?"

"I think so, just keep performing"

"Cheers boss, I was so surprised to get my call up not even onto the bench but straight into the side I wasn't expecting it. Thanks again"

Holt is removed from the list and the battle for the goalkeepers shirt is really hotting up. Competition for places can do the team good but can also have a negative affect especially on the players that are left out of the squad.

Our next trip was up the M6 to the City of Manchester to play the blue side of the City.

Some of the comments after the game included: -

"This has got to be the most exciting game of football that I have ever saw"

"It was worth the money to get in there"

Well.....3 minutes on the clock and the home side take the lead. I sit in the dugout and quietly think "Oh my god not again". 4 minutes before half time Jeffers scores an equaliser and we go in at 1-1 which upon reflection is a good achievement.

Jeffers gets his second on the hour mark and we lead for the first time in the match although the lead lasts 4 minutes.

Then the goals flood in Jeffers adds 2 goals in 2 minutes to score 4 this afternoon. A new West Brom record. We lead 4-2, Man City score 2 goals in 5 minutes its 4-4 with 5 minutes left on the clock. Surely Jeffers can't add a 5th.....Theres a goal Kamara scores in the 88th minute surely their can't be any more goals its already a nine goal thriller.

The final whistle goes and I shake Claudio's hand "Good game, didn't think it was going to be a 9 goal match at half time"

"Your team played well Lee, can't see why the pundits think your certs for relegation, keep it up, catch you in the bar for a drink after"

"Sure mate, thanks."

Ipswich travel to the Hawthorns lying bottom of the table, 9 straight losses and pointless. This was not going to be a walk over they will be thinking that they can beat us as we are not one of the strongest teams in the division and there awful run can't last forever. I warn the players that this could be a banana match, don't slip up, 3 points here will do us good.

The match was screened on TV not a classic but a 4 goal thriller. Another win and its our second win on the bounce have we turned the corner?

Jeffers, Ellington and Dalla Bona with goals in the first 20 minutes secured the points with Ipswich getting a consolation goal 10 minutes from time.

A good performance sees us move up to 14th. 3 points clear of the relegation, although our goal difference doesn't look to healthy against the other teams near the bottom.

Chelsea have already opened a 5 point gap from Man Utd after 10 games. Are they going to repeat last season?

Portsmouth are the next visitors to the Hawthorns and confidence is quite high in the dressing room, in fact in honesty its probably the highest since I've been in charge.

Portsmouth find themselves just in front of us in the league so there were favourites with the bookies for todays clash.

On a rare occassion the score at half time remains 0-0 however a penalty was granted to the Baggies on 58 minutes which young Darren Carter slotted home. The lead was extended to 2-0 when Nathan Ellington scored 9 minutes later. The deficit was reduced with 25 minutes when Portsmouth score on the break.

However Ellington notches his second on the final whistle to ensure a comfortable victory that sees us move up to 11th in the table.

Baggies run continues

Lee Allen is ovverjoyed with this latest victory against mid table Portsmouth. "The lads are enjoying football at the moment, after what was a slow start to the season they eagerly await each game and feel confident. I know that the run won't last forever, but lets hope it continues for a couple more games.

We were by far the better side and we lie in a realistic league position, I will be pleased if we finish in 11th as its an improvement on last year, anything higher is a bonus."

Confidence was so high in the dressing room that the visit from Championship side Sunderland in the League Cup should have been a formality. Well it was for the first 20minutes with goals from both our strikers Jeffers and Ellington. 2-0 after 20 minutes and things looked cosey. I thought more goals would come more way but I was wrong. We allowed Sunderland back into the game and by half time the scores were level.

The scores remained 2-2 throughout the second half and btoh halfs of extra time. We faced a penalty shoot out and what a knee knocking affair that was. What was to happen in the penalty shoot out was amazing.

Russell Holt pulled off save after save as Sunderland failed to convert any of their 4 penalties. We scored 3 with Clement missing his.

"Lee Allen has warned his players not to appear to confident following their penalty shoot out victory at the Hawthorns last night. Playing against lower league opposition is never easy as they aim to pull off a giant killing, Sunderland came close and if it wasn't for the heroics of Russell Holt in the penalty shoot out the result could have easily gone the other way round. West Brom have been awarded a tie against Portsmouth in the next round."

It seemed like ages since our last match away so the journey to Leeds seemed to take ages. The fans were keen to get another look at Zoltan Gera who I sold earlier in the season. I hope he has a dire game so the fans can see why I got rid of him.

We arrive at Elland Road and the team sheet is thrust under my nose "He's playing" I look at Nigel and we snigger. "Lets hope he don't have a blinder then" "Oh my god look further down the team sheet" 2 of the players on their bench used to play for the Baggies Sean Gregan and Rob Hulse. "You've got nothing to worry about those two boss"

Leeds come back from being a goal down to earn a 2-2 draw. Jeffers and a penalty from Carter the goals for West Brom. Leeds snatch a point with an 89th minute goal.

Hulse doesn't get to play against his old club. Gregan had an average game bothing exciting and Gera limped off. I hope the back stabbers who were reluctant to see him go have soon changed their tune.

I await. After 12 games we lie 11th in the table and looking like we can hold our own again, although a bad run would see us get sucked back into relegation trouble.

We face a daunting test next facing the arrogant Chelsea who are looking to extend their lead at the top of the table, can we stop them?

Wednesday 1st November 2006

I sit behind my desk and log onto the computer to check my emails. I'm not one that regularly checks them but today was the day. I decided that I had given Joy enough work to do and I should be enhancing my computer skills and not relying on my 'second wife' as I seemed to spend more time with Joy than with my real wife Jess.

I log on. 2 emails in the inbox. "Joy come here, how do I do read these"

"Oh Lee, thats so simple I showed you that the other day, you do this and this and this, there you go. I would have thought you would have had a better idea, as Jess said you were always on that football management game."

"Emails are different, the game was mouse control and you didn't have to bash the keys"

She laughs "you don't bash the keys Lee"

"Oh my god come and read this. Francis Jeffers has won Player of the month. He deserves that. Oh god hang on a minute whats this one. Oh bloody hell. I've come runner up in the manager of the month. Now thats a surprise, God I'm shocked, didn't see that one coming."

"I'll ring Mr Peace and tell him the good news"

"Yeah tell him to give me a payrise, no don't do that, its a joke, he'll probably think I'm serious."

I ring Jess and tell her the good news, "see love its all worth it, its rewarding, maybe people will really take me seriously now"

When I get home Jess tells me that Bryan (Robson) and Andy (Johnson)had telephoned to congratulate me. They are still my buddies and we really need to meet up soon.

I still can't believe that I have been recognised with this award, yeah I know its runner up but its better than a kick in between your legs. Now all I had got to do was to win the thing. Maybe a win against Chelsea the weekend will get us on the right track.

Premiership holders Chelsea were the visitors to the Hawthorns. A surprise result last season saw the Baggies see off Chelsea 2-0 and Lee Allen will be hoping for a repeat performance.

Both teams are on a good run of form with Mourinho presented with the manager of the month award before the kick off. I can only look on some what dissapointed as I know that I finished runner up. Jeffers picks up the player of the month so at least it wasn't all Chelsea celebrations.

A wonderful strike and free kick was the difference this afternoon as Chelsea ran out 2-1 winners. Kamara netting a consolation goal for the Baggies.

It is obvious to all that these two managers do not see eye to eye with Mourinho commenting that Allen was the joke of Premiership football and should never have been appointed. Allen comments that Mourinho is big headed and needs to be taken down a peg or two.

Thanks for the kind word's you left Leo30 on my story. I left a message their also but I thought would post here to, incase you don't read mine again. I was made up when I saw that. I notice you have another story and will read that tomorrow as knackered now and what to read it while I'm awake. Thanks again. icon14.gificon_smile.gif

We travel to Middlesborough to play against Steve Mclaren's men. The team has been playing well the last couple of matches although results have not always gone in our favour.

We immediately rush into a two goal lead with Carter and Bruggink. Postiga scores two in quick sucession to pull the scores level. Its a really exciting match and still all to play for with 45 minutes remaining.

Jeffers and Job net goals for the Baggies. 4 goals and 4 goal scorers at least we are not relying to heavily all the time on the strikers it is nice to see goals coming from other positions.

Viduka scores a late consolation goal for Boro but they can't stop the 3 points coming back to the Midlands.

Lee Allen comments "I think we are better prepared than last year, we started a bit dodgy but things are looking up, we are sitting happy in mid table and I will be happy with that, anything better is a bonus, theres still a lot of football to be played and things can go either way the next couple of games will determine if the season is going to be a struggle or not. My fingers are tightly crossed."

Steve Bruce brings Birmingham City to the Hawthorns for a Midlands derby. Trouble has been brewing between these two clubs for a long time, however with the increased police presence everything seemed to be going well.

It was another packed out Hawthorns with all fns wanting to be able to go to work tomorrow proud of their local team.

The scores remain 0-0 at half time despite the Baggies domination. Chance after Chance goes beckoning but the forwards just can't find a way through. Ellington gets a rare start whilst Jeffers is resting a slight knock.

It takes a wonderful 45 yard strike from ex blues player Darren Carter to break the deadlock. The goal gets fans from from both sides clapping as it was a sensational effort. This goal was soon followed by a Kamara chip and the final score is West Brom 2 Birmingham 0.

Lee Allen is pleased with the performances of late and will be looking to carry this run on for a couple more games. The win puts the Baggies in 11th place and 10 points clear of the drop zone. Chelsea are already 10 points clear at the top of the table, can anybody stop them?

Portsmouth end Baggies League Cup Hopes

A 3-2 scoreline flatters the away side in a game that West Brom should have had sealed by half time.

LuaLua made it the worse possible start for the Baggies with a goal in the 1st minute this was cancelled out straight away by a goal from Kamara.

The second half saw the goals start flooding in and West Brom took the lead with a Kamara effort. 20 minutes to go and it looked like it was West Brom that was progressing until Diao and O'Brien changed the tie.

Lee Allen is said to be disappointed. "Its always nice to have a good cup run, we was never going to win the cup, we've got a long way to do that, but its nice to get a little bit farther, at least we can concentrate on the league now and thats our priority."

Hoult injured in defeat

Tottenham 1 West Brom 0

We taste defeat for the 2nd time this week, with a solitary goal defeat against Tottenham. A Defoe goal on 48 minutes proving to be the vital difference.

The team played well and were unlucky to leave with nothing but thats not good enough when the ball doesn't go into the opposition net.

Lee Allen is positive in the press conference following the game. "My lads are playing well, yet just dipping out. I can take positives from all positions on the pitch and I thought Delaney deserved his man of the match award winning everything. We're going through a bad patch with injuris and Houlty joins the list witha sprained ankle, I'm awaiting news from the Physio but it looks like he could be out for up to 4 weeks. Kamara is due back in a week or so, Gaardsoe's shoulders making slow progress he wont be fit this side of Christmas and Albrechsten and Jeffers could be out for 3 weeks. Clubs go through these patches so its important we start to pick up points before we get sucked into the battle at the bottom.

We have a difficult month and if we pick up a couple of points then we have done well."

Baggies share the Spoils

West Brom 1 Liverpool 1

Liverpool travel to the Hawthorns following their midweek draw Euro draw and with West Brom on a run of 2 defeats.

West Brom face a dificult December and will need to play a high standard of football to obtain anything from the next 3 matches.

Arnold Bruggink adds to Lee Allen's injury worries as he was taken off injured on 27 minutes.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard opened the scoring shortly afterward the forced Baggies substitution. However West Brom who have been playing reasonable football of late held in and Nathan Ellington reply's just before the break.

The second half was a close fought contest and West Brom piled on the pressure and could have taken all three points when Earnshaws header clips the cross bar and falls at Reina's feet.

"I am pleased with the result we have a few more knocks, but to get a point against Liverpool is pleasing. Rafa shook my hand after the match and congratulated me so that's something. We played well no worries, I need to reassess things and hopefully get a few players back in training quickly. I thought Postman didn't have a chance with their goal and this is his opportunity to stake his claim for a place."

Bruggink and Greening injured!

Arnold Bruggink was forced to leave the pitch on Saturday and it is reported that he suffered a bruised rib following a challenge from Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard. Bruggink is the 6th player to join the growing injury list at the Hawthorns and could be forced to sit 3 weeks on the sidelines.

Johnathan Greening suffered a nasty facial injury following an aerial battle he could be out for 2 weeks.

Sunderland Board pile pressure on McCarthy

Championship side Sunderland held an emergency meeting last night and it is rumoured that a bad result will see the end of Mick Mcarthy's Sunderland career.

QPR and Sunderland weild the axe

Struggling championside sides QPR and Sunderland have decided to part company with their managers.

QPR sack Colin Todd who has held the position for just over 12 months. Bookies favour Kevin Keegan but Barnsley manager Andy Ritchie, Gary Powers from league new comers Forest Green and Stuart Pearce as the main contenders to obtain the hot seat at Loftus Road.

Meanwhile Sunderland who were relegated from the Premiership and are now in the lower reaches of the Championshide could turn to Glenn Hoddle, pundits also see TNS manager Ken Mckenna, Stan Ternant and Ian Holloway as candidates for a quick replacement.

We aboard the team coach for a trip to Old Trafford. The mighty reds are sitting happily in 2 place but a few points from Chelsea.

Hopefully we can build on the good performance last week against Liverpool, the pundits on Sky Sports don't think so, all predicting an easy win for Sir Alex's men. We watch the television and it reports how we are struggling with injury problems, how we are performing all good stuff. Sir Alex comes onto the screen talking about the build up for the game, the lads are glued to the screen, this kind of thing really builds them up for a big game.

Sir Alex how do you think the season is going so far?

Its still close, Chelsea are running away with it, and its up to us to try and reduce the difference. Its 7 points we can only hope they lose a couple of games and we don't. Hopefully we will pick up 3 points on Saturday.

What about the other end of the table, do you look?

Of course we look (he laughs) not that we have ever been down there. The teams that come up always struggle and it shows this year with Ipswich and Leeds in the relegation zone. Preston are surprising a few and will do extremely well to survive.

What about your opponents on saturday what do you think?

Lee Allen has done a marvellous job, everybody was shocked at this appointment, the team is showing great promise and they did well last week. From being one of the favourites to go down, I feel that he has build a team more than capable of staying up. I have alot of time for inexperienced managers they learn after every game and I know that Lee listens to advice from everybody its up to him if he takes it. He's doing a great job, I just hope its me and not him celebrating after the match.

Five star performance at Old Trafford

Goals from Van Nistelroy, Park Jo Song, Christian Ronaldo and 2 from Paul Scholes kept the Premiership race on as Manchester United powered through West Brom at Old Trafford this afternoon.

Nathan Ellington scored a consolation goal for the away team.

Lee Allen commented in the dug out "That shows why they are second and we're not. I can't be to disappointed everybody thought we were going to lost, it's a shame we couldn't have given them a better game, credit to ur fans as they never gave up shouting. It's back to the drawing board for the time being."

Oldham sack Moore

Oldham currently bottom of League 1 have sacked Ronnie Moore following a dismal run of results. Early contenders for the vacant position are Torquay manager Leroy Rosenior, Steve Kemper, Cheltenham manager John Ward and Ray Lewington.

Venables given vote of confidence

Southampton have given ex England manager the dreaded vote of confidence after only 40 games in charge. Southampton are currently in 10th position in the Championship but only 1 point away from the Play Offs. Pundits feel its a bit harsh on the current boss, who must fear for the axe shortly.

Sunderland name Hoddle as the man

Glenn Hoddle returns to football as manager of Championship side Sunderland. 49 year old Hoddle has had 6 months out of the game following his departure from Wolves and will immediately be looking to get the Black Cats up the table.

Sunderland are currently in the relegation zone and Hoddle will be hoping that they don't face 2 relegations in 2 seasons.

Keegan joins Loftus Road

Kevin Keegan has been installed as manager of QPR.

Keegan makes a much anticipated return to football management and he will be hoping that his impressive CV contiunes and guids QPR to Championship safety.

10 goal thriller at Hawthorns

West Brom 6 West Ham 4

West Brom manager Lee Allen is delighted with his team's performance in this high scoring match at the Hawthorns.

"I thought that Robbie Earnshaw took his goals really well, it's not often you get someone score 4 in an afternoon but to do it all in the first half was great. He's made selection a bit harder with Francis Jeffers due to come back soon.

I thought with the score at 4-1 the game was over and done with but credit to West Ham they never gave up. When Ellington missed his penalty I thought they would come back and give us a fright and they did with the score at 4-3.

A couple of players didn't play that well, I won't signal them out as they know who they are.

All that I can add is that it was a wonderful game for the spectactors."

"Joy, Joy where are you?" I shout along the corridor. Theres no response. I leave my newly decorated office and knock on the next office door.

Joy was slouched on the table, head touching the desk. I shout and theres no movement, no acknlowedgment no nothing. I shout for help and dial 999 for an ambulance. I feel for a pulse theres a faint one, so I quickly place her on the floor and start to give her resus. To be honest I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing but I can't just let her suffer.

There's still no movement, no sign of detioration or improvement when the ambulance arrives. I was lucky that I had told the ambulance control room exactly where I was in the ground as I had not been able to give the reception or anybody else a call to tell them what was going on. I was shattered, when watching Casualty on television you don't appreciate how tiring giving mouth to mouth is.

I worry for Joy as she is stretchered out of the ground, I summon Danni the head receptionist to contact Joy's husband to let her know what is going on and for her to get the senior management to the ground at 7pm tonight. I follow the ambulance in my car and call Jess from my mobile (hands free of course).

"Hi Honey, just going to hospital"

"Why whats up" she replied anxiously

"Its not me, don't worry.....Joy has collapsed at work and the ambulance is taking her to Sandwell"

"Is she ok?"

"I don't know, I had to give her mouth to mouth for ages, god knows how long she had been there, it was frightening"

"I hope shes ok, do you want me to meet you there?"

"No, I'll be fine, I'll phone you if theres anything."

"Give my love to her"

"I will if I get to see her, love you"

"Love you to Lee"

The tears start to roll down my face as the stretcher rushes into the hospital Accident and Emergency Department. I have to book her in as her husband hasn't arrived. "And you are???" The receptionist enquired "Her boss, but a very close friend, her husband is on her way if you need to know anything else. Can I go and see her"

"Hang on a minute I'll go and find out, take a seat have a cuppa you look like you need one"

She returns.... "The team are with her at the moment so you'll have to hang fire for a while"

"Is she going to be ok?"

"Look love shes in the best place they'll do all they can. You sit here and wait for her husband so you can tell him whats going on.

Half an hour passes and Ron walks in.

"Ron, the doctors are with her at the minute"

"Whats up, what went wrong"

"I shouted her and she didn't respond so I went to the office and she was lying on the table no movement, I had to give her mouth to mouth there was no response"

He burts into tears not thinking straight, shaking and obviously anxious.

"Is she alright, why did it happen"

"Look Ron, I haven't been allowed to see her since we got here, I'll tell the receptionist that you are here, and maybe they will be able to tell you a bit more."

"The husband is here now, when can he see her?"

"I'll go and find out take a seat, I won't be long"

She wonders into the patient clinical area and comes back. "The nurses say you can go in, they'll tell you what's going on"

"Leo come in with me please, I can't do this on my own"

We walk through some double doors and there's loads of cubicles and the curtains are shut on all of them. A young male nurse spots us, "you must be with Joy, shes over here". We follow the nurse behind a curtain.

"Now she is being supported by this machine, she is breathing on her own, but this just assits her, she has had a stroke and will need support to get back onto her feet. Its going to take time, love and support. She is out of danger just talk to her, she won't respond but she will be listening."

Theres all tubes surounding her and the normally spotless busy body is lying motionless on the bed. It just doesn't seem right.

"Was she ok this morning?" I ask

"She didn't say so, but she never lets on if shes poorly or not, anyway she loves the job so much she wouldn't stay at home"

"Joy, come on you old figher, you had us worried there, thats chasing me up and down the corridor. You need to slow down, I know this won't put a stop to you and Ron is here so pull your socks up"

Ron holds her hand, stroking it and I have a tear in my eye. "I'll wait outside Ron, if you need me give me a shout, I'm not leaving you here. I just don't like hospital's"

What a way to spend the night before Christmas Eve. It must be awful being a patient on a hospital ward on christmas eve, or a relative who has to visit on christmas day and then you have the dedicated staff who must rather want to stay at home and celebrate with the family.

Ron comes out "She's ok, she's opened her eyes, they're going to give it a bit before they take the machine off, but she's going to be fine" He cries and I guide him to the chair.

"Ron she is a fighter, shes going to be ok, you need to make sure she slows down she still acts like she's 21."

"Lee, I don't know what I would do if I lost her, she organises everything, and keeps me going"

"Now, Now don't talk like that its going to be ok. You will only upset yourself again and you need to be strong for her."

"Thanks Lee you saved her life, you have had a busy day go home, theres nothing you can do here, I'll phone you when I get home to let you know whats going on, the kids will be here in a minute"

"You sure?"

"Yeah go on, you've got planning to do for the match who you playing next?"

"Blackburn at home, OK, phone me if you need anything and let me know how things are going, I don't care what time it is"

"Thanks Lee again"

I walk out the A&E department what a day I am tired and ache all over. I just hope that she is ok. She organised her husband but she also organises me. We would both be lost without her.

My mobile goes off. "Lee it's Danni, the bosses are waiting, not everybody could turn up but you wanted to see them, what shall I do, where are you? Hows Joy?"

"Oh bloomy heck, forgot about that, I'll be there in 10 minutes tell them not to leave"

"Ok see you in a minute"

I walk into the board room. Everybody turns around and looks at the door.

"Lee you look shattered, whats wrong?"

"Ok folks thanks for coming at short notice, I have had a bad day so I'll try not to keep you any longer than I have to"

"Ok first is first, as some of you know Joy was rushed into hospital this morning after I found her slumped at her desk, I have been at the hospital with her husband all day, she is out of a critical condition, she has a machine that is helping her to breath but she will hopefully be coming off that later this evening. It's really shook me up but at least she's ok. Can I suggest that Danni co-ordinates a collection and gets a card etc. Any contact to the family should be kept to a minimum and Danni and myself will co-ordinate that and arrange for you to have a regular updates as I know that Joy is a friend of everybody's"

"Ok, the main reason why I have gather you here is to discuss how things are going and future ambitions of the club"

One of the Board members replys sternly "Why Lee, what you want to know that for? Are you saying you can't notice that we are ambitious?

"I'm not saying that, just want to make sure that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. I suppose I have brought a number of players in and I want to make sure that you are happy with how things are going"

"Lee, don't worry things are going great as long as we stay in the Premiership that is the main goal. Your long time aim is to establish West Brom as a distinguished Premiership side and not always be one of the favourites to go down" The Chairman reasssures me. "Why call this meeting, if there was a problem then you would have heard by now"

"I know there is not a problem, but sometimes I feel that I am to ambitious and want things to move faster than they are"

"Lee if you would have said we would be 11th I would have laughed. You are doing ok, obviously some of the players are disgruntled about being in the reserves and not getting regular first team football, its up to them to get themselves into the frame" Jeremy replies

"The Board are pleased with the financial aspect of the club and I am aware of the huge fan base that you have generated this season, attendances are higher than last year, we may have to consider expanding soon as we are getting near full capacity every home game. We have the money to do it, thats a decision out of your hands Lee."

"Oh guys, sorry to call you in for a silly meeting, we don't get chance to all meet up like we used to everybody is busy and I asked for the meeting to be called as I was rushing out with Joy so I probably wasn't focused right, thanks for all of your time"

"Lee go home put your feet up have a glass of wine and be ready for work in the morning"

I get home at about 10.00pm, Jess is sleeping on the sofa, I try not to wake her but fail miserable.

"Hi, hows things?" she enquires

"not bad, had better days, anybody phoned?" I ask

"nope you expecting a call?" she asks

"Yeah Ron was going to call when he got home, I asked him to phone me just to let me know an update on Joy"

With that the phone rings, "I'll get it........Hello"

"Hi Lee its Ron, she's ok, they've moved her to the stroke ward and she's comfortable, theres no machines and she's awake, she should be fine. I don't know how to repay you, you helped save her life"

"Thanks Ron, I'm glad to hear she's ok, I just wished I noticed her sooner, or she'd told me that she wasn't feeling to good. I'll go and see her Christmas Day if that's ok?"

"Yeah that will be fine, I'm sure that she'd like that"

"Thanks again Ron, now you try and get some sleep and you know you can phone us at any time"

I put the phone down. I am so glad that she's pulled through. I tell Joy about the eventful day and my abysmal meeting with the Board and everbody and how I embarrassed myself. She remains supportive "Look you did it whilst not thinking straight at least you know that they like what you are doing"

"Go up stairs, I'll do you a nice cup of tea and a hot water bottle and try and get some sleep, you've had a pig of a day. It's Christmas Eve and we need to finish the last of the bloomy Christmas Shopping, we are behind schedule as you aren't around much due to your working"

"Are you moaning?" I snap

"No, of course not, just stating a fact"

"I'll give it up if you like"

"Now your talking silly, just go to bed and I'll see you in a minute, Good night Love"

Christmas Eve is spent finishing the last of the dreaded shopping. I hate shopping especially at Christmas everywhere is packed, the only good thing about this year is that we have a bit more extra cash to splash out. Family will be getting decent presents instead of the usual predictable items.

Jess had already got the food, I told her that if she wanted the family to come then she needed to organise it. We don't get much quality time together anymore so I was hoping that she didn't ask them. I know that sounds awful but who does get on with their in laws. I can't do with them moaning at me statements like "You should get a proper job" or jibes about team selection from her dad will be the main topic of conversation. It might turn into a war zone once my dad has had a few beers as I know that he doesn't get on with Jess's dad.

Back to shopping trip and the fans are recognising me even some old grannies come up and ask for my autograph, the kids there with their mobile phones taking pictures.

I look at Jess "Who would have thought this, you being married to somebody famous" we laugh. How our lives have changed since West Bromwich Albion took over it.

Jess prepared the Christmas meal and I lay the table. Our visitors were talking in the living room, probably slating me for not having a proper job.

Everything was going fine, it was to good to be true the only damper on the day was the present that Jess's dad brought me. A Wolves top. How can anybody buy a Wolves top the orange colour is just unbearable to look at, and to make matters worse they had my name on printed onto the back. My dad saw the funny side and shook Jess's dad's hand. "Nice one mate" They both roaring with laughter. The only good thing about this is that they have a laugh together for the first time.

When am I going to wear that bloomy top, normally you would wear it when you go their house to show the people that brought it that you like it. But how can I step outside our house with this top on, I'd have to put 3 jumpers over the top to make sure the orange didn't show through the fabric of any jumpers.

If the lads at the ground found out I'd be hung. They couldn't allow the manager to defer to the nearest rivals.

I arrive at the hospital at 1800 hours later than what I had hoped for but our visitors wouldn't take a hint and go home. I left Jess to do the entertaining whilst I was visiting Joy.

I hate hospital's as they always seem to have a funny smell to them. And I hate ill mannered nursing staff who won't help when you can see the patients require it. I'd had a run in with a few when my grandfather died and hadn't really forgave them and I was to find out that Joy was on this same ward. I just hoped that some of the nursing staff had moved on.

I walk onto the ward and I am greeted my an old nursing auxillary "Oh my god, what you doing here" she rushes to tell the other nursing staff of their famous visitor. Within seconds the ward was turned upside down as my presence seemed to excite them. "I'm your father christmas for the day" I jokely told them. "Can you direct me to Joy Mortimer please?" "Yeah follow us, well I never, wait till I tell my eldest that you've been on the ward, can I have your autograph please?"

I walk to where Joy is, she's in a side room next to the nursing station. She's wide awake and Ron and her eldest son Damian is there. I go straight up to her and give her a kiss. Now Joy is not a loving touchy person but she smiled. "How's you then? you didn't half give us all a fright"

"I'm ok thanks Lee, Ron has been telling me that we owe you alot, without you I wouldn't be here"

"Less of that talk, let's forget about it, how you feeling?"

"Yeah not to bad, missing everybody already and its only been days, how is everything going?"

"Don't worry about a thing, you need to be back on your feet again for some time before coming back, don't rush back, and I mean take your time, what's happened is a sign, to start taking it easy. And in future tell me when you don't feel very well, don't keep it to yourself"

"Stop nagging, I normally nag you just coz I'm not very well, doesn't mean you can have a go"

We laugh she looks 110% better than the last time I saw her. It's obviously going to be time before she's back in the office, I selfishly ponder what to do. Jeromy will have to authorise a temporary replacement I can't survive without somebody organising the office side. I wonder if Jess would want to have a go? Would it be good to work at the same place at least she would get a better understanding of what I have to put up with day in day out.

Anyway Joy will have to stay in hospital for a few more days to ensure that she's making adequate recovery. Ron looks like he's had a decent night's sleep and Damian looks like his drugged up.

I stay for about 45 minutes talking about when I first started at the club and Joy's reputation as a chatterbox gossiper she laughs "I know they all take the micky but at least it gives somebody something to talk about, I don't care what they say about me, I know that I am good at my job"

Shes right, she is good at her job, I just hope she takes doctors advice and doesn't rush back just because she loves it that much.

26th December 2006

West Brom V Blackburn

What a strange Christmas I am so glad to be back at work. It's also stange coming to work and theres no Joy.

The lads slowly arrive and I'm glad to report that none of them come in suffering from a boozy festive season.

I call them all into the dressing room and proceed to tell them how Joy is. I had brought a card and sent it round for the lads to put their get well wishes on. "Right lads lets give her something to cheer her up, I know that she will be listening to the match commentary via the hospital radio."

Its another bumper crowd of over 30,000 and surely the board must be considering extending the ground, I'm sure we could accommodate a few more hundred fans but would this result in the transfer budget having to be slashed. I would rather have money to spend than accommodate more fans but thats my selfish streak showing.

The lads must have listened well to my pre-match team talk as they enter the dressing room following the first half 3-1 up. Goals from Ellington and a double strike from Earnshaw putting us in a strong position. We look comfortable and state that we must keep the ball don't give any sloppy passes and give up possession to easy because they will attack and make us pay straight away.

The second half was another close affair but credit to Blackburn their performance in the last 45 minutes was much stronger than our efforts. They manage to claw their way back and earn themselves a 3-3 draw which is really a true reflection of the game. Nobody deserved to lose.

Paul Robinson limps off with a strained ankle and will be out for up to a month but Francis Jeffers is available for selection. Interesting team selection for the next match against Charlton who will I pick up front everybody is in fine form in front of goal. What a headache.

Transfer action at the Hawthorns

The transfer window opens and West Brom are given £50,000 from Watford when the sell on clause is activated with James Chambers' move to Doncaster.

Lee Allen has already drafted one signing in who was due to arrive at the Hawthorns this morning with Hungarian fullback Csaba Feher joining from PSV for £50,000.

PHONE CALL FROM THE CHAIRMAN

I sit at home watching sky sports football update with the opening of the transfer window it is always interesting to see who drafts in who. The big moves on the first day see Manchester United signing Tottenham player Michael Carrick for 11.5 million and Fitz Hall from Everton for 3.5 million. Compared to our £50,000 signing. There is money available but I haven't found a suitable player who will set the world on fire.

My mobile goes off its Jeromy the club chairman. "Sorry to bother you Lee, but thought you would like to hear this news straight away especially as the window is now open. The Board have agreed to let you have an extra 5 million pounds in the transfer kitty as the financial situation is excellent. Spend it wisely and don't rush into anything for the sake of it."

"Oh my god, Oh my god, thats great news, I can't believe it, thanks for letting me know."

"I've sent you email so you will pick it up in the office tomorrow, thought it would put a smile on your face"

"Thanks bud"

What a good new year presentation an extra 5 million its not everyday you get told you've got 5 million I now have a budget of 9.5 million. What do I do???

West Brom 1 Charlton 1

Matt Holland (Charlton) earned his side a share of the points at the Hawthorns this afternoon as he struck in the 25th minute to cancel Jay Boothroyd's 17th minute own goal.

The game swung rapidly from end to end and both sides had ample opportunities to steal the 3 points.

The result sees both sides with alot of work to do if they are to sneak up the table and cement a top 8 finish. Albion find themselves in 12th position with Charlton 8 points in front in 8th.

Birmingham move out of the bottom 3 and dent Man Utd's promotion push with a 2-1 win at St Andrews. Chelsea however storm past Blackburn with a 5-1 home win.

Other headline news include Grahame Souness is walking a tight rope and failure to produce a good result in his next match may see him queuing at the job centre. Newcastle currently occupy 15th place in the Premiership 4 points above the drop zone. He maybe joined by David Platt who is currently employed by Derby who are staring relegation in the face being 23rd in the Championship.

Middlesborough in bid for Carter

Baggies boss Lee Allen today confirmed that a 2.6 million bid for left midfielder Darren Carter has been turned down.

"Darren is having a fine season, and is playing exceptionally well. The bid was unacceptable and Darren is not for sale. I have informed Darren of the offer and he is happy at West Brom if things were different and the bid was in the interest of both parties then of course it would have been considered. But both club and player are happy at the moment so while spoil it."

Souness axed by Toon Army

Due to overwhelming supporter pressure Newcastle have parted company with Graham Souness. Newcastle who have been struggling to hit real form this season will be looking to bring in an experienced manager who will be able to provide european football for the northerns.

Bookies favourite is Spanish Supreme Clemente, however english interest sees Ian Dowie currently enjoying life at Crystal Palace and Lee Allen who has guided West Brom from relegation battlers to mid table security in the Premiership, Hans Backe from FC Kobenhavn is also linked.

Newcastle toon to Danish Legend

Michael Laudrup has been appointed the new manager of Newcastle United leaving Brondy in a bid to establish himself amongst the elite managers of the English premier league.

Laudrup a 42 year old Danish legend was introduced to the crowds outside St James Park this afternoon.

West Brom 1 Everton 2

It's that busy time in football over the festive season where you just don't seem to have time to do anything. I'd been in contact with Ron and Joy was progressing nicely and up for discharge the end of the week, that was good news. The players seemed shattered with training, parties and celebrations. I was just not sleeping, Jess was moaning as we hadn't done the usual rounds with the relatives, (what a shame).

Anyway Everton came to town, and they were flying high, and they continued to wihen they snatched all 3 points from right under our nose. A dissapointing result for us but it indicates that it's not going to be easy to maintain our position we must ensure that we beat the smaller clubs and keep some distance between us and the relegation zone.

Anyway Darren Carter nets a 48th minute penalty, his goal of the season and Marcus Bent and James Beattie score the winning goals for Everton.

We crash out of the Cup with a fight, we can't match last seasons superb cup run, and we've gone out of both competitions at a very early stage. At least we can focus purely on the league and will have no excuse of any distractions.

There is a slight atmosphere at the club and I have heard a few comments surrounding my little link to the Newcastle job. "He won't be here much longer he's showed he can manage in the top flight" or "The Board won't like it that he was linked with a bigger club they'll be looking for another manager soon". Now let me put the record straight. I did not declare any interest in the vacant position, my heart and soul is at the Hawthorns and I will continue here until the Board, players and the fans say otherwise. Yes the link was nice but I have no intention in leaving this club.

I wish people would stop jumping to conclusions it causes loads of problems I wish they would just come and ask me outright instead of the corridor gossip.

Archived