I have just started playing the new game and have had some moderate success playing 4-4-2 normal with short passing, pressing and man marking but I have been doing really well in the lower league then getting beat every game in the premiership and getting relegated, I won the first division with Nowrich no problem signed a few players and thought i was certain to survive but just dont create any chances, has anyone got a good attacking tactic that scores loads of goals? I dont care if you lose loads aswell i'll deal with that afterwards!

I have just started playing the new game and have had some moderate success playing 4-4-2 normal with short passing, pressing and man marking but I have been doing really well in the lower league then getting beat every game in the premiership and getting relegated, I won the first division with Nowrich no problem signed a few players and thought i was certain to survive but just dont create any chances, has anyone got a good attacking tactic that scores loads of goals? I dont care if you lose loads aswell i'll deal with that afterwards!

I play as Rangers in the SPL. I have always played a 442. I always play short passing. I always play pressing. I set tackling to normal. I usually ask my two central defenders to man mark. The key to success though I believe is with the wide midfielders. I usually play AML or AMR but also AML/FL or AMR/FR works if they have good stats. The most important stat is crossing followed by pace etc. You then have to concentrate passing down the flanks.

For this to really work I usually play two srtikers with good finishing at least 18. The LHS striker though has to have good heading ability as well. As a further bonus the two midfielders also have to have good passing stats and two MC's will work in this position. The further bonus though is to have A DMC in the LHS midfield and an AMC in the RHS midfield position.

It also helps if your full backs also have good crossing ability as they will contribute quite a few assists as well as getting the odd goal.

I find that this set-up results in a lot of goals. For example over 38 SPL games i usually score between 80 and 100 goals. If you have good defenders and a good DMC then you don't concede much as well. In my last season i only conceded 12 goals.

Certain players work well in these positions. For the DMC Makoun works very well. There are so many quality wingers I could be here all day but Ben Afra, Guarduado (I think, Mexican anyway) and Sousa (not sure if he is a regen, bought from Porto) are just some examples. Huntellar works very well in the LHS striker position and I have a regen Mora who is in the RHS striker position. Reo Coker works well in the RHS MC position. There are though so many players that work in these positions that you can't go wrong.

Over 8 seasons my average is close to 3 goals a game and conceding 0.5 goals a game. Generally my RHS striker will score 30-35 goals in a season, My LHS striker will score 25-30 goals a season, My wingers will score 5-10 goals a season (LHS always seems to score more?) and my MC will score at least 10 goals a season. Makoun is such a good player that he usually chips in with a few but other DMC's I have tried don't seem to score as much.

Sorry this is quite lengthy but hopefully it will help.

P.S If your MC is quality making him a playmaker seems to work well.

sorry to chip in again - Jambo_Dave: could you please post your original legendary tactic, that has been much talked about in these forums.

I've been trying to find and i havnt...

If you could that would be very helpful!

Blue, do you use a standard 442 or do you use a 442 attacking in this tactic?

And in the emphasis do you use attacking also?

I've also favoured using the offside trap and counter attack, what do u find is the best option with this tactic?

Cheers

Chappy i have tried emphasis on both normal and attacking and I do find i score more goals if the emphasis is set to attacking.

I haven't tinkered with offside and counter attack. I take the view that as i am usually the dominant side I don't need either tactic.

I have though benn playing as Peterhead on another saved game and find that playing offside is great as it seems to work (although your defenders need good awareness) and lots of goals get chopped off.

I have just used the normal 442 but attacking 442 does focus more passing down the flanks which you need for the goals.

• 2 weeks later...

i tweaked jambo's tactic for FMH 2007 - all the same apart from no defenders are man marking and team instruction are:

pressing - No

offside trap - Yes

it has worked so far - i have won (major cups):

the Uefa cup

the European super cup X2

the Champions league

The Premiership

The League cup

The Fa cup

The charity shield

All with nottingham forest. It takes a while to get the right mix in midfield though especially the middle midfielder, i use giovanni dos santos and he scores a reasonable amount of goals and gets good ratings, but he is injury prone so hes never available for a whole season. So id like to hear of good players for this position.

Saltergater

I am sure I get mixed up with the computer versions sometimes when I think about this game. Positioning is what I am thinking about and also I think anticipation(?) is also important although normally creative a defender would need good anticipation as to when to play offside and when not to. Anyway has anyone ever saw a text reply say that the striker has beat the off-side trap as I have never had this for opposition strikers so something must be working. Also since I started playing offside the opposition has goals disallowed for offside and this is something that rarely happened before.

Pauk-Paul

Dos Santos is injury prone but if you get him from the outset and put him on a fitness training schedule and only play him for 20 mins a match for the first season then he usually keeps fitness better. I always buy the guy no matter what team I am as he always has good retail value. I just sold him to Liverpool last night for 18m after buying him for 220k and had 3 seasons service from him.

As for replacements Elano works very well in the middle of a midfield 3. Also from winter 2008 there are a whole load of south american regens. I have one now for Newcastle called Vitor Correira who was signed for 500k. His first 4 stats are all 20, shooting is 15, and creativity etc are all 20. The regens are obviously different in each game but from winter 2008 there are usually crackers in south america if you trawl through each team.

Archived